New PC: Cheap, Epic, Vastly Superior

This topic is locked from further discussion.

Avatar image for deactivated-63f6895020e66
deactivated-63f6895020e66

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

#51 deactivated-63f6895020e66
Member since 2004 • 21177 Posts
If you want to go by sale prices you can get a 360 for like $150.red12355
Yeah, this is true. If we follow the deals, you can get the vast majority of high profile releases for much, much less than $800. Which also makes sense when we consider that most games are designed around consoles.
lostrib

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

#52 lostrib
Member since 2009 • 49999 Posts

[QUOTE="lundy86_4"]

[QUOTE="KC_Hokie"]It's all about PCs with 'and console suck' tacked on. Pretty silly.KC_Hokie

So... System Wars oriented? It may not be well-executed, but it's suitable. A mod will determine if TC overstepped any boundaries.

Cats suck and dogs are awesome...and PCs are better than consoles. That can count with that logic as system wars oriented? By tacking on a few words at the end? Really?

It's no better or worse than every 360 vs PS3, or PS3 vs PC, or Wii vs the world thread

R3FURBISHED

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 7

#53 R3FURBISHED
Member since 2008 • 12408 Posts

PCs are very supreme to consoles.theycallmeryan

I am still very confused by this, because what are these games that are just so much better than those offered on consoles? As video game players, I'm still waiting for one or the other to step out in front.

lundy86_4

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

#54 lundy86_4
Member since 2003 • 61511 Posts

Cats suck and dogs are awesome...and PCs are better than consoles. That can count with that logic as system wars oriented? By tacking on a few words at the end? Really?

KC_Hokie

It's pretty much what System Wars is about. Logic often doesn't exist here, as we argue over minutiae every day. The point is, TC has created something that is fine in System Wars. If you don't like it, then report the thread or just don't post. NBD.

kaealy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#56 kaealy
Member since 2004 • 2179 Posts

Is Mario, Zelda, and any PS3/360 exclusive on the PC?

No? Then you're wrong.

TrapJak

I'm pretty sure that a majority, if not all, Maria and Zelda games since their initial release is playable on PC.

lundy86_4

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#57 lundy86_4

Anyway TC, you have yet to post your links for all this. It's getting kinda ridiculous considering the costs of components used, plus the lack of key components, such as a case and KB/M.

Chris_Williams

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#58 Chris_Williams
Member since 2009 • 14882 Posts

dude, if people wanted to game on pc, they would have built a gaming rig already, when i get the cash i would like to build my own rig but i will always prefer consoles because they actually rock the games and series i enjoy and with more and more pc games getting the console treatment i'm not in a rush to build one.

TrapJak

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#59 TrapJak
Member since 2011 • 2933 Posts

[QUOTE="TrapJak"]

[QUOTE="ehussein1379"]

Hey, if you like hokey JRPGs more power to you. PC wouldn't suit your needs.

ehussein1379

... What? What the duck are you talking about?

Your refutation was the same as the post yesterday where the argument was 'pokemon isn't on PC' thereby invalidating the platform.

Hey ... if Pokemon is your thing have at it! However, in my humble opinion, Pokemon on consoles and not on PC convinces me that PC is the ONLY place to be.

1. I didn't say Pokemon ANYWHERE in my post.

2.) The reason Mario, Zelda, and others arent on PC is because they have their own companies. You, know , long lasting and loved ones. Just because its not on PC doesnt mean its inferior. PC is better system wise, but in games its subjective. Not acting like your god of the consoles, because when "Games", you know, the things we play, are enjoyed , its subjective.

TrapJak

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#60 TrapJak

[QUOTE="TrapJak"]

Is Mario, Zelda, and any PS3/360 exclusive on the PC?

No? Then you're wrong.

kaealy

I'm pretty sure that a majority, if not all, Maria and Zelda games since their initial release is playable on PC.

Oh, I'm sorry, legally.

R3FURBISHED

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#61 R3FURBISHED

Games - better multiplats, better exclusives (GW2/Planetside 2/Shogun 2 dramatically superior to ANY console exclusive)

Controls - more precision, more options, includes console controllers as an option

Graphics - uh, yeah

Community - statistically older, ergo slightly more mature (YMMV), longer support for games

Mods

Multifunction

Seems like a simple equation IMO.

ehussein1379

Pretty much all my feelings on that summed up in one video...and with an Australian accent.http://www.escapistmagazine.com/videos/view/zero-punctuation/3443-The-Witcher-2-Assassins-of-Kings

lostrib

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#62 lostrib

Anyway TC, you have yet to post your links for all this. It's getting kinda ridiculous considering the costs of components used, plus the lack of key components, such as a case and KB/M.

lundy86_4

You are right, but the cost of case and KB/M can vary more on a personal level so the price may be high or low depending how much the person wants to spend. You can get a usuable keyboard and mouse for like 10 dollars and a case for like 30. But the components he posted are the important ones and since many were Newegg shocker deals there are no available links to post to those deals as they change daily.

lightleggy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 65

#63 lightleggy
Member since 2008 • 16090 Posts

[QUOTE="theuncharted34"]

I don't think so.

But anyways, what are the specs of your new PC?

ehussein1379

i7 2600k

8GB

ati 6970

SSD cache

1.5 TB mirror

Gigabyte UD3 Z68

Win 7 Ult.

Total cost = $860

At least 200 x better than my PS3.

impossible. no way you can get those things for 860 dollars without raiding warehouses with drug dealers who ask their share.
TrapJak

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#64 TrapJak

[QUOTE="KC_Hokie"]

[QUOTE="lundy86_4"]

So... System Wars oriented? It may not be well-executed, but it's suitable. A mod will determine if TC overstepped any boundaries.

ehussein1379

Games - better multiplats, better exclusives (GW2/Planetside 2/Shogun 2 dramatically superior to ANY console exclusive)Subjective

Controls - more precision, more options, includes console controllers as an option

I'll give you that.

Graphics - uh, yeah. Who can't agree with that?

Community - statistically older, ergo slightly more mature (YMMV), longer support for games

EVERY COMMUNITY IS THE SAME. The difference in consoles wont make a difference in community.

Mods. Yeah.

Multifunction

Seems like a simple equation IMO.

drinkerofjuice

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 20

#65 drinkerofjuice
Member since 2007 • 4567 Posts
My attempts to care have failed.
Weenski

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

#66 Weenski
Member since 2011 • 990 Posts

[QUOTE="IronBass"]I'd rather keep my console.ehussein1379

Worse graphics, worse games, worse controls, worse community.

Cheaper entry cost?

Really? Worse graphics MARGINALLY. But games, controls and community??? Wrong!
mitu123

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 32

#67 mitu123
Member since 2006 • 155290 Posts

[QUOTE="Zurrur"]

Yes PC is vastly superior than consoles, but it doesn't have good games anymore

Most great games are console exclusive nowdays

lostrib

If someone wants to post the spread sheet, this has been disproven

Even if i post it he still won't believe it.:

https://spreadsheets.google.com/spreadsheet/pub?key=0AriQpIFbPoEacGM1b0xxcGVucFQ3OFc4N3BNZmd2QkE&gid=0

lightleggy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 65

#68 lightleggy
Member since 2008 • 16090 Posts

[QUOTE="lostrib"]

[QUOTE="KC_Hokie"]Well take it to the PC chatboards where you can preach to the choir (other PC elitists). ehussein1379

It's system wars

Exactly. This post is the definition of the forum.

So, for $860 (and with some ingenuity) you can build a box that will nuke games for years. And leave consoles in the dust.

Those screens are 1600p, no upscaling, nothing funky. Straight up high res uber textured gaming goodness at 60fps.

GTA + ice with max details = 40fps, no drops in framerate.

no, you are wrong that pc would never cost 860 dollars, you said it yourself the parts were used and they were in discount, a new pc with those components without discount would be over 1k
lostrib

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#69 lostrib

[QUOTE="ehussein1379"]

[QUOTE="theuncharted34"]

I don't think so.

But anyways, what are the specs of your new PC?

lightleggy

i7 2600k

8GB

ati 6970

SSD cache

1.5 TB mirror

Gigabyte UD3 Z68

Win 7 Ult.

Total cost = $860

At least 200 x better than my PS3.

impossible. no way you can get those things for 860 dollars without raiding warehouses with drug dealers who ask their share.

he posted earlier that a lot were daily deals and the Graphics card was open box. Although I want to know the size and price of the SSD

gmaster456

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 5

#70 gmaster456
Member since 2008 • 7569 Posts
[QUOTE="ehussein1379"]

[QUOTE="IronBass"]I'd rather keep my console.Weenski

Cheaper entry cost?

He's not wrong but he is not right. Its all a matter of opinion.
JordanizPro

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#71 JordanizPro
Member since 2009 • 1912 Posts

WTF dude you think $860 is cheap?Thats alm ost $1000 which is a LOT of money to some people especially in this economy.A $300 console will give you a great gaming experience plus its waay cheaper.Beides us console gamers can play games you pc gamers cant anyway

lundy86_4

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#72 lundy86_4

You are right, but the cost of case and KB/M can vary more on a personal level so the price may be high or low depending how much the person wants to spend. You can get a usuable keyboard and mouse for like 10 dollars and a case for like 30. But the components he posted are the important ones and since many were Newegg shocker deals there are no available links to post to those deals as they change daily.

lostrib

Naturally. Just like the cost of consoles can vary depending on if you want Kinect/Move or not. Regardless, they are necessities, and TC is obviously going for a "cheap" but "powerful" line of reasoning here, so there is no reason those can't fall in line.

A case for $30 would have trouble fitting a 6970, I would think. It's likely you would need a large mid-tower or a full-tower case, which can be costly.

If the deals change daily, then how can they be relevant. I often find the shocker deals quite poor, but I do like their bundle deals (if not filled with ****). TC also regarded a student copy of Win7 as a viable acquisition of a full OS, regardless of specifying if it is an upgrade version and/or you have access to a student for that price.

The whole line of reasoning behind TC's pricing is flawed. It's like me saying I can get a 360 without the console for $0, thus it's cheaper. Add the necessary components.

ehussein1379

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#73 ehussein1379
Member since 2011 • 372 Posts

[QUOTE="lundy86_4"]

lostrib

Exactly. I had $250 off from 'deals' and the combo price.

Not to mention saving ~$140 on an open box video card. (there was a refurb gtx 570 I passed up, that was $240)

TrapJak

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#74 TrapJak

[QUOTE="lostrib"]

[QUOTE="Zurrur"]

Yes PC is vastly superior than consoles, but it doesn't have good games anymore

Most great games are console exclusive nowdays

mitu123

https://spreadsheets.google.com/spreadsheet/pub?key=0AriQpIFbPoEacGM1b0xxcGVucFQ3OFc4N3BNZmd2QkE&gid=0

Uhh, I think the link is kinda fudged up.

R3FURBISHED

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#75 R3FURBISHED

no, you are wrong that pc would never cost 860 dollars, you said it yourself the parts were used and they were in discount, a new pc with those components without discount would be over 1klightleggy

How confident and self assured do you have to be to buy used PC components? Hell, I have a hard time buying used video games.

lostrib

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#76 lostrib

[QUOTE="ehussein1379"]

[QUOTE="IronBass"]I'd rather keep my console.Weenski

Cheaper entry cost?

exclusives are subjective, multiplats are generally considered better on PC, and community is subjective but I've found a lot less screechers on PC

hakanakumono

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#77 hakanakumono
Member since 2008 • 27455 Posts

The games I play largely aren't available on PC. And if they were, I probably wouldn't play them on PC anyways.

lostrib

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#78 lostrib

[QUOTE="lightleggy"]no, you are wrong that pc would never cost 860 dollars, you said it yourself the parts were used and they were in discount, a new pc with those components without discount would be over 1kR3FURBISHED

How confident and self assured do you have to be to buy used PC components? Hell, I have a hard time buying used video games.

Open box are not exactly used. But I do have a used hd 4850 that has been running great for the past year and it still runs games fine

ehussein1379

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#79 ehussein1379

[QUOTE="lostrib"]

lundy86_4

Naturally. Just like the cost of consoles can vary depending on if you want Kinect/Move or not. Regardless, they are necessities, and TC is obviously going for a "cheap" but "powerful" line of reasoning here, so there is no reason those can't fall in line.

A case for $30 would have trouble fitting a 6970, I would think. It's likely you would need a large mid-tower or a full-tower case, which can be costly.

If the deals change daily, then how can they be relevant. I often find the shocker deals quite poor, but I do like their bundle deals (if not filled with ****). TC also regarded a student copy of Win7 as a viable acquisition of a full OS, regardless of specifying if it is an upgrade version and/or you have access to a student for that price.

The whole line of reasoning behind TC's pricing is flawed. It's like me saying I can get a 360 without the console for $0, thus it's cheaper. Add the necessary components.

I used my old case. (aluminum Lian Li)

But this case is amazing (just used to build my wifes i5 2500k build): http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16811119068

Great case, great price.

My goal with this build was a cheap dominator gaming box. Went with 2600k for faster compiles (I code for a living).

TrapJak

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#81 TrapJak

[QUOTE="Weenski"][QUOTE="ehussein1379"]

Cheaper entry cost?

lostrib

exclusives are subjective, multiplats are generally considered better on PC, and community is subjective but I've found a lot less screechers on PC

Same with PS3. Same with 360. They are everywhere!

Chutebox

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#82 Chutebox
Member since 2007 • 50595 Posts

I'm going to go ahead and enjoy PC and consoles....

ehussein1379

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#83 ehussein1379

[QUOTE="R3FURBISHED"]

[QUOTE="lightleggy"]no, you are wrong that pc would never cost 860 dollars, you said it yourself the parts were used and they were in discount, a new pc with those components without discount would be over 1klostrib

Open box are not exactly used. But I do have a used hd 4850 that has been running great for the past year and it still runs games fine

Watch for refurbs on Newegg - you can save a TON of money. And they still have their warranties.

A bit like a Steam sale I have a hard time paying full priced anymore!

lostrib

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#84 lostrib

[QUOTE="lostrib"]

lundy86_4

You're right, this is an exception rather than a norm. Of course he doesnt need such high end components for games to run well. Side note: if you can get a student copy of Win 7 it is an upgrade disk, but it can be used to do a full install

mitu123

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#85 mitu123

[QUOTE="mitu123"]

[QUOTE="lostrib"]

TrapJak

Fine, a better one:

https://spreadsheets.google.com/pub?key=pc5oLqpenpT78W87pMfgvBA&gid=0

gmaster456

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 5

#86 gmaster456
Member since 2008 • 7569 Posts

[QUOTE="TrapJak"]

[QUOTE="mitu123"] Even if i post it he still won't believe it.:

mitu123

Fine, a better one:

Nope, Still the same
hakanakumono

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#87 hakanakumono
Member since 2008 • 27455 Posts

I can't believe I missed the

"Oh, you like a genre that's not available on PCs? Oh, well the genre you like is bad."

lundy86_4

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#88 lundy86_4

But this case is amazing (just used to build my wifes i5 2500k build): http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16811119068

Great case, great price.

My goal with this build was a cheap dominator gaming box. Went with 2600k for faster compiles (I code for a living).

ehussein1379

Unfortunately, building "cheap" in this instance isn't viable for many people, thus it really is a play-by-play basis... So what's the point?

How is the issue of fitting the 6970 into that case? Anyway, add all these necessities into your price. Take out the Win7 for students deal and add in an OEm version. That way, your PC would actually be viable. Otherwise you're just showing "look what I can do, see how easy it is", when in fact it is not "easy" for many.

mitu123

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#89 mitu123

[QUOTE="mitu123"]

[QUOTE="TrapJak"]Uhh, I think the link is kinda fudged up.

gmaster456

Fine, a better one:

Nope, Still the same

The link honestly doesn't work? It works everytime I click it.

lostrib

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#90 lostrib

[QUOTE="lostrib"]

[QUOTE="Weenski"] Really? Worse graphics MARGINALLY. But games, controls and community??? Wrong!ehussein1379

"Subjective" in this case meaning 'ignore all evidence but maintain your opinion' haha :)

Well subjective meaning what games they like. As in you obviously like RPGs but perhaps they like Madden or Pokemon or Tiger Woods golf or maybe some First party exclusive, I would say a console would be best for them. But for most other things ie multiplats PC is better. For example, I found FPS much better on PC because of keyboard and mouse, on console I have the reactions and accuracy of a retarded chimp

lundy86_4

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#91 lundy86_4

You're right, this is an exception rather than a norm. Of course he doesnt need such high end components for games to run well. Side note: if you can get a student copy of Win 7 it is an upgrade disk, but it can be used to do a full install

lostrib

I'd rather go with the norm in this case. I'm all for arguing PC gaming, as I love it... Let's just be reasonable :P

As for it being a full install, I wasn't aware. I may have to look at my licence for when I upgrade as I use the Win7 for students as well.

ehussein1379

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#93 ehussein1379

[QUOTE="ehussein1379"]

Great case, great price.

lundy86_4

Unfortunately, building "cheap" in this instance isn't viable for many people, thus it really is a play-by-play basis... So what's the point?

How is the issue of fitting the 6970 into that case? Anyway, add all these necessities into your price. Take out the Win7 for students deal and add in an OEm version. That way, your PC would actually be viable. Otherwise you're just showing "look what I can do, see how easy it is", when in fact it is not "easy" for many.

Shop for a PC like you would a game sale, a component is almost always on sale somewhere.

The SSD is a Crucial M4 64 GB (cache, not straight drive). $85 on Amazon.

Almost everyone knows a student, paying full price for Win 7 is foolish.

The other option is to do MSDN and get ALL MS software for $150.00. (10 keys of Win7)

My friends do this for new builds. Deck out with MSDN software and split the $150 / 3

lostrib

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#94 lostrib

[QUOTE="ehussein1379"]

Great case, great price.

lundy86_4

Building on a budget does take a lot of patience

harshv82

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

#95 harshv82
Member since 2008 • 1120 Posts

Amazing and stuff!

KC_Hokie

Aww, I see your hurt. Did your topic get blocked?

ehussein1379

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#96 ehussein1379

Amazing and stuff!

KC_Hokie

Insults? I happen to be in great shape. Thanks for exposing your lack of argument with an insult.

lundy86_4

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#97 lundy86_4

Building on a budget does take a lot of patience

lostrib

Agreed. It's one of the reasons that i'm saving for my upgrade (and school at the same time, lame). I want to put at least $1000 into my next upgrade.

TrapJak

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#98 TrapJak

[QUOTE="KC_Hokie"]

Amazing and stuff!

ehussein1379

Insults? I happen to be in great shape. Thanks for exposing your lack of argument with an insult.

He called you a "glorious master race". No insult there.

Not like the fat guy is you....

lostrib

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#100 lostrib

[QUOTE="lostrib"]

lundy86_4

I'd rather go with the norm in this case. I'm all for arguing PC gaming, as I love it... Let's just be reasonable :P

As for it being a full install, I wasn't aware. I may have to look at my licence for when I upgrade as I use the Win7 for students as well.

Yeah just do a google search, I just had to change a registration value no problems. I think in the end PC people dont care about the price because a lot of PC people enjoy the actual act of building and tweaking, it is more of a hobby