commander

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 11

User Lists: 0

#151 commander
Member since 2010 • 16217 Posts

pc gamers were truly master race back then, not like today, where consoles have a lot more advantages.

Brah4ever

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

#152 Brah4ever
Member since 2016 • 1704 Posts

@commander:

What advantages?

Avatar image for deactivated-5acbb9993d0bd
deactivated-5acbb9993d0bd

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#153 deactivated-5acbb9993d0bd
Member since 2012 • 12449 Posts

@brah4ever said:
@MBirdy88 said:

It's alright on an emulator... playing Star Fox 64 without the frame lag is great.

There are only about 10 worthwhile games on the system though, I could happily play them now and then.

What's your top 10 games on the system consist of?

The standard 1st party, Rogue Squadron, Banjo , Podracing, Extreme G etc.

Looking back, surprising how little there was... still loved the system at the time, had a different charm about it to the PS1.

speedfog

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 18

#154 speedfog
Member since 2009 • 4966 Posts

I bought one in May, man I'm having the time with it. Never had a N64 before. Me and my buddy love playing on it.

It aged pretty well imo. It's all just.. different.

Brah4ever

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#155 Brah4ever

@speedfog said:

I bought one in May, man I'm having the time with it. Never had a N64 before. Me and my buddy love playing on it.

It aged pretty well imo. It's all just.. different.

What games are you playing with your buds?

Brah4ever

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#156 Brah4ever

@MBirdy88 said:
@brah4ever said:
@MBirdy88 said:

It's alright on an emulator... playing Star Fox 64 without the frame lag is great.

There are only about 10 worthwhile games on the system though, I could happily play them now and then.

What's your top 10 games on the system consist of?

The standard 1st party, Rogue Squadron, Banjo , Podracing, Extreme G etc.

Looking back, surprising how little there was... still loved the system at the time, had a different charm about it to the PS1.

Definitely

Avatar image for GunSmith1_basic
GunSmith1_basic

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 21

#157 GunSmith1_basic
Member since 2002 • 10548 Posts

aged better than the PSX imo

Avatar image for deactivated-5d1e44cf96229
deactivated-5d1e44cf96229

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#158  Edited By deactivated-5d1e44cf96229
Member since 2015 • 2814 Posts

@brah4ever said:
@storm_of_swords said:
@brah4ever said:

WWE Day of Reckoning (from the creators of No Mercy and ran at a locked 60 FPS and is one of the best looking games of the gen)

That's not correct. Day of Reckoning was not by the creators of No Mercy. Day of Reckoning was made by Yukes and No Mercy was made by AKI.

No Mercy is widely considered to still be the greatest wrestling game of all time to this day and while Day of Reckoning is good, it can't compare to how amazing No Mercy is. And I'm not just being nostalgic about the past either as I still play No Mercy on a regular basis and I've been playing it regularly for the past 16 years while also trying out all of the wrestling games that have been released since then and none of them have been able to top No Mercy.

What was it about No Mercy that made it better than any wrestling game that came after?

No Mercy is good, but come on now...

The game was sluggish (future games ran at 60 FPS).

No Countering system

Blocky visuals

Some wrestling games that came after, Here Comes the Pain, Day of Reckoning, and some of the SvR games did everything No Mercy did and then some.

You probably played No Mercy when you had friends around and by the time others came you had no one to play with it so you hold No Mercy dearly.

Look at how sluggish this plays.

Yes, I played No Mercy with my friends and I still play No Mercy with my friends to this day. I've also played many other wrestling games with my friends, but we always go back to No Mercy.

No Mercy unfortunately had the flaw of getting sluggish when having 4 player matches like in that video. That was a consequence of putting so much awesomeness into this game for a system that wasn't powerful enough to handle it. If we would have got the Gamecube sequel that problem would have been solved, but sadly they changed developers so that never happened. That doesn't stop No Mercy from being the best wrestling game as long as you are not having a 4 player match and when I want to have a 4 player match, I'll play one of the previous AKI N64 wrestling games like WCW Revenge or Wrestlemania 2000, which are still better than the post-N64 wrestling games.

Why is No Mercy better than any wrestling game that came after you ask? Here are a few reasons:

-No Mercy and the other N64 games by AKI were the perfect balance between wrestling sim and arcade fun. No other wrestling game has had that perfect balance; they are either too arcadey like the Smackdown games that didn't feel like real wrestling and you couldn't have the epic long matches that you can in No Mercy or they are too much of a sim like the recent 2K games which take all of the fun out and feel more like a chore to play.

-The controls in No Mercy are simple and organic, but also have depth and reward skill. There are no complicated button combinations to remember or mini-games that you have to play during the middle of the match. The game is accessible enough that you can hand anybody the controller to play No Mercy, even if they are not wrestling fans, and within 5 minutes they will understand the controls and will be having fun. Yet beyond the simple controls there is a lot of depth to the grappling system which has a great risk and reward system where you can choose to just tap the button to do a weak grapple that does little damage but can help to wear down the opponent for later or you can choose to hold down the button to do a strong grapple that does much more damage but has a greater risk of being countered. And it has multiple different fighting styles in the game which change the strategy that you should use against your opponent depending on their fighting style.

-No Mercy has a great story mode where you can use any wrestler that you want and go after any championship that you want. You can even have a male wrestler play in the Women's championship story if you want; there are no restrictions. And there are multiple branching paths in the story to provide variety.

-No Mercy has great connected backstage areas. In No Mercy, you could start in the ring and then fight all the way to multiple backstage areas, all of which are designed great, and then fight all the way back to the ring with no noticeable load time when changing areas. Too many wrestling games lack this great feature.

-No Mercy lets you customize the match rules in all sorts of different ways to give you tons of different match possibilities. Do you want to play a 36 person Royal Rumble match with hardcore rules and the only way to win is by submission? In No Mercy, you can do that and a lot more.

-No Mercy has a great roster of wrestlers from the peak of wrestling's most popular time period, the Attitude Era. Plus, you can customize everyone in the game to keep them updated or just to do silly things for fun. If you want to change Matt Hardy's name to Broken Matt, you can do that. If you want to make Kurt Angle bald, you can do that. If you want to give Triple H different music, you can do that. If you want to make Stone Cold wear a bra and skirt for laughs, you can do that. The possibilities are endless.

-No Mercy has a great Create-a-Wrestler mode where anybody can mix and match from hundreds upon hundreds of different moves and outfits to easily and quickly create any wrestler that you want. I've always found the Create-a-Wrestler modes in other wrestling games to be too difficult and time-consuming to use. No Mercy's Create-a-Wrestler is simple and fun to use and yet can still produce great custom wrestlers. Plus, since AKI previously made games for WCW, they kept a lot of outfits and moves from WCW wrestlers in the game, so that you can easily create the WCW wrestlers to add to this WWE game and make the already great roster even better.

-No Mercy has the best modding community of any wrestling game ever. If you had a N64 gameshark, there were countless fan-made codes to add even more great things to the game.

-No Mercy gives you great rewards for playing the game. You earn in-game money by playing the game that you can use to purchase tons of great stuff in the Smackdown Mall instead of having to use your real money to purchase DLC like in current wrestling games.

There is a reason that 16 years later, many people are still playing No Mercy, there are still active communities talking about No Mercy, people are still modding No Mercy, and every credible list of greatest wrestling games of all time will always list No Mercy in either the #1 or #2 spot. There are more recent wrestling games that have better graphics and framerate, and some of them have managed to copy some of the great features from No Mercy, but none of them have been able to top the great AKI gameplay engine that fans still hold to legendary status or package all of these great features that I listed into one excellent wrestling game.

nintendoboy16

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 43

User Lists: 14

#159 nintendoboy16
Member since 2007 • 41536 Posts

@GunSmith1_basic said:

Agreed. I can name PS games that aged worse than the worse aged N64 games, like Soul Blade, the first two Tekkens (three still holds up though) and Tomb Raider in the CORE era.

AcidTango

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#160 AcidTango
Member since 2013 • 3227 Posts

I think 3D platformers on the N64 such as Mario 64 and both Banjo games still hold up for me to this day and I never get tired of playing them. Plus I enjoy the Zelda games and Starfox 64 as well and many other N64 titles. GoldenEye 007 on the other hand I think aged badly and any other FPS that was on the system.

foxhound_fox

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 13

#161 foxhound_fox
Member since 2005 • 98532 Posts

Neither did the PS1.

But that's the thing, good game design, art style and music are ageless regardless of technical achievement.

Thunderdrone

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#162  Edited By Thunderdrone
Member since 2009 • 7154 Posts

@brah4ever: Aged horribly as opposed to what?

BTW, the N64 will look considerably worse on an HDTV. Hook it up to a nice Sony Trinitron CRT and compare.

Try out DOOM 64. Its smooth and looks sharp. Also the best classic DOOM game with the series best ost...

Brah4ever

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#163  Edited By Brah4ever

@storm_of_swords said:
@brah4ever said:
@storm_of_swords said:
@brah4ever said:

WWE Day of Reckoning (from the creators of No Mercy and ran at a locked 60 FPS and is one of the best looking games of the gen)

That's not correct. Day of Reckoning was not by the creators of No Mercy. Day of Reckoning was made by Yukes and No Mercy was made by AKI.

No Mercy is widely considered to still be the greatest wrestling game of all time to this day and while Day of Reckoning is good, it can't compare to how amazing No Mercy is. And I'm not just being nostalgic about the past either as I still play No Mercy on a regular basis and I've been playing it regularly for the past 16 years while also trying out all of the wrestling games that have been released since then and none of them have been able to top No Mercy.

What was it about No Mercy that made it better than any wrestling game that came after?

No Countering system

Blocky visuals

Some wrestling games that came after, Here Comes the Pain, Day of Reckoning, and some of the SvR games did everything No Mercy did and then some.

You probably played No Mercy when you had friends around and by the time others came you had no one to play with it so you hold No Mercy dearly.

Yes, I played No Mercy with my friends and I still play No Mercy with my friends to this day. I've also played many other wrestling games with my friends, but we always go back to No Mercy.

No Mercy unfortunately had the flaw of getting sluggish when having 4 player matches like in that video. That was a consequence of putting so much awesomeness into this game for a system that wasn't powerful enough to handle it. If we would have got the Gamecube sequel that problem would have been solved, but sadly they changed developers so that never happened. That doesn't stop No Mercy from being the best wrestling game as long as you are not having a 4 player match and when I want to have a 4 player match, I'll play one of the previous AKI N64 wrestling games like WCW Revenge or Wrestlemania 2000, which are still better than the post-N64 wrestling games.

Why is No Mercy better than any wrestling game that came after you ask? Here are a few reasons:

-No Mercy and the other N64 games by AKI were the perfect balance between wrestling sim and arcade fun. No other wrestling game has had that perfect balance; they are either too arcadey like the Smackdown games that didn't feel like real wrestling and you couldn't have the epic long matches that you can in No Mercy or they are too much of a sim like the recent 2K games which take all of the fun out and feel more like a chore to play.

-The controls in No Mercy are simple and organic, but also have depth and reward skill. There are no complicated button combinations to remember or mini-games that you have to play during the middle of the match. The game is accessible enough that you can hand anybody the controller to play No Mercy, even if they are not wrestling fans, and within 5 minutes they will understand the controls and will be having fun. Yet beyond the simple controls there is a lot of depth to the grappling system which has a great risk and reward system where you can choose to just tap the button to do a weak grapple that does little damage but can help to wear down the opponent for later or you can choose to hold down the button to do a strong grapple that does much more damage but has a greater risk of being countered. And it has multiple different fighting styles in the game which change the strategy that you should use against your opponent depending on their fighting style.

-No Mercy has a great story mode where you can use any wrestler that you want and go after any championship that you want. You can even have a male wrestler play in the Women's championship story if you want; there are no restrictions. And there are multiple branching paths in the story to provide variety.

-No Mercy has great connected backstage areas. In No Mercy, you could start in the ring and then fight all the way to multiple backstage areas, all of which are designed great, and then fight all the way back to the ring with no noticeable load time when changing areas. Too many wrestling games lack this great feature.

-No Mercy lets you customize the match rules in all sorts of different ways to give you tons of different match possibilities. Do you want to play a 36 person Royal Rumble match with hardcore rules and the only way to win is by submission? In No Mercy, you can do that and a lot more.

-No Mercy has a great roster of wrestlers from the peak of wrestling's most popular time period, the Attitude Era. Plus, you can customize everyone in the game to keep them updated or just to do silly things for fun. If you want to change Matt Hardy's name to Broken Matt, you can do that. If you want to make Kurt Angle bald, you can do that. If you want to give Triple H different music, you can do that. If you want to make Stone Cold wear a bra and skirt for laughs, you can do that. The possibilities are endless.

-No Mercy has a great Create-a-Wrestler mode where anybody can mix and match from hundreds upon hundreds of different moves and outfits to easily and quickly create any wrestler that you want. I've always found the Create-a-Wrestler modes in other wrestling games to be too difficult and time-consuming to use. No Mercy's Create-a-Wrestler is simple and fun to use and yet can still produce great custom wrestlers. Plus, since AKI previously made games for WCW, they kept a lot of outfits and moves from WCW wrestlers in the game, so that you can easily create the WCW wrestlers to add to this WWE game and make the already great roster even better.

-No Mercy has the best modding community of any wrestling game ever. If you had a N64 gameshark, there were countless fan-made codes to add even more great things to the game.

-No Mercy gives you great rewards for playing the game. You earn in-game money by playing the game that you can use to purchase tons of great stuff in the Smackdown Mall instead of having to use your real money to purchase DLC like in current wrestling games.

There is a reason that 16 years later, many people are still playing No Mercy, there are still active communities talking about No Mercy, people are still modding No Mercy, and every credible list of greatest wrestling games of all time will always list No Mercy in either the #1 or #2 spot. There are more recent wrestling games that have better graphics and framerate, and some of them have managed to copy some of the great features from No Mercy, but none of them have been able to top the great AKI gameplay engine that fans still hold to legendary status or package all of these great features that I listed into one excellent wrestling game.

Damn, well said.

You failed to mention No Mercy's lack of a counter system though, that makes a huge difference in gameplay.

No Mercy is definitely top 5 (its second behind DoR), the lack of fatal four way last man standing, no countering system, and sluggish frame-rates (DoR ran at a solid 60 no matter the mode) when playing with four people take it out from the top spot.

The 2K games are definitely way to simulation ish than arcadey, no fun at all in those.

Day of Reckoning played extremely similar to No Mercy its unreal.

This is aimed at what you wrote, well said brah
This is aimed at what you wrote, well said brah

Brah4ever

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#164 Brah4ever

@nintendoboy16 said:
@GunSmith1_basic said:

Agreed. I can name PS games that aged worse than the worse aged N64 games, like Soul Blade, the first two Tekkens (three still holds up though) and Tomb Raider in the CORE era.

PSX has the controller which is similar to what we still use today.

dynamitecop

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#165  Edited By dynamitecop
Member since 2004 • 6395 Posts

@brah4ever said:
@nintendoboy16 said:
@GunSmith1_basic said:

That's not necessarily a good thing, that could possibly signal a stagnation in innovation, not to mention a lot of people have been unhappy with the DualShock style controllers for near decades.

DragonfireXZ95

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#166 DragonfireXZ95
Member since 2005 • 26645 Posts

@beardmad said:

I can easily play some N64 games. Super Mario 64, Banjo Kazooie, Zelda, etc. Those games are fine.

But the last time I tried playing Perfect Dark I felt like shoving the controller into my eyes.

Yeah, platformers still aren't bad to this day, but the first person shooters like Goldeneye and Perfect Dark have aged horribly.

Brah4ever

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#167 Brah4ever

@dynamitecop said:
@brah4ever said:
@nintendoboy16 said:
@GunSmith1_basic said:

That's not necessarily a good thing, that could possibly signal a stagnation in innovation, not to mention a lot of people have been unhappy with the DualShock style controllers for near decades.

Yeah, but it could also signal that they got it right in terms of 3D game controls.

dynamitecop

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#168 dynamitecop
Member since 2004 • 6395 Posts
@brah4ever said:
@dynamitecop said:
@brah4ever said:
@nintendoboy16 said:
@GunSmith1_basic said:

Yeah, but it could also signal that they got it right in terms of 3D game controls.

Even with all the complaints? I don't know about that, there's a reason the Xbox 360 controller is still touted as one of the best controllers ever made and it has to do with form factor and analog positioning.

Brah4ever

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#169  Edited By Brah4ever

@dynamitecop said:
@brah4ever said:
@dynamitecop said:
@brah4ever said:

Even with all the complaints? I don't know about that, there's a reason the Xbox 360 controller is still touted as one of the best controllers ever made and it has to do with form factor and analog positioning.

I meant in terms of the layout/buttons, ergonomically speaking the dual shocks have kind of always sucked.

The DS4 is somewhat of an improvement.

360 pad is definitely one of the best.

nintendoboy16

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#170 nintendoboy16

@brah4ever said:
@nintendoboy16 said:
@GunSmith1_basic said:

So? Again, how does most popular PSOne games fare up again?

Brah4ever

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#171 Brah4ever

@nintendoboy16 said:
@brah4ever said:
@nintendoboy16 said:
@GunSmith1_basic said:

Better, since a lot of them were 2D.

jg4xchamp

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 14

#172 jg4xchamp
Member since 2006 • 64037 Posts

That entire gen has "aged" like milk, because a lot of those console games weren't that good to begin with. They get a major "this is new and fresh and different" free pass, especially because it was 3d gaming so there was a lot of unknown to how games would even work in 3d.

That said, I think there are still genuinely great games from that era that I can easily sit down and play: Mario 64, Paper Mario 64, Silent Hill, etc. I certainly agree the framerate is rough to deal with, but the games that had strong cores, are still strong today in spite of sloppy presentation. It's almost like actual good game design doesn't age; where as "hur durr my game looks pretty" does.

djura

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#173 djura
Member since 2016 • 542 Posts

I think that first generation of 3D game consoles didn't age well generally; this is not a problem exclusive to N64. Have you tried playing the Sega Saturn on an HDTV? Ugh. It's tough, haha.

The one thing that hits N64 hard in this area, I think, is the way it applied anti-aliasing. Some games look very blurry as a result, and some early games look incredibly muddy from a texture perspective.

In terms of frame rate, it's a bit of a relative thing. Games like Super Mario 64 and Ocarina of Time are very respectably playable with their frame rates - the need for certain frame rates is going to depend very much on the kind of game you're playing.

As for the controller, well, the Dual Shock owes its existence to the N64 controller. The ubiquity of the analogue stick in general stems directly from the N64. So from that perspective, it was a very important design.

I actually think the N64 controller is really comfortable and nice to use - unfortunately though, the housing around the analogue stick is terrible quality, and would wear after a very short period of time. These days it's impossible to find original controllers with undamaged housings, you basically have to buy a refurbished model you want to play N64 games comfortably.

nintendoboy16

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#174 nintendoboy16

@brah4ever said:
@nintendoboy16 said:
@brah4ever said:
@nintendoboy16 said:
@GunSmith1_basic said:

A lot of the most popular PSOne games were 2D? So, we going to ignore a lot of the 3D games like Tomb Raider (done better by the remake), Resident Evil (again, done better by the remake), Soul Blade (done better by sequels), and Tekken 1/2 (better with sequels).

And you bring up 2D games... you do realize that the PSOne actually bottlenecks even that, right? See: X-Men vs Street Fighter and Street Fighter II (the version that DSP rubs his fame in with).

Brah4ever

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#175 Brah4ever

@jg4xchamp said:

That entire gen has "aged" like milk, because a lot of those console games weren't that good to begin with. They get a major "this is new and fresh and different" free pass, especially because it was 3d gaming so there was a lot of unknown to how games would even work in 3d.

That said, I think there are still genuinely great games from that era that I can easily sit down and play: Mario 64, Paper Mario 64, Silent Hill, etc. I certainly agree the framerate is rough to deal with, but the games that had strong cores, are still strong today in spite of sloppy presentation. It's almost like actual good game design doesn't age; where as "hur durr my game looks pretty" does.

I agree

Brah4ever

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#176 Brah4ever

@nintendoboy16 said:
@brah4ever said:
@nintendoboy16 said:
@brah4ever said:
@nintendoboy16 said:

A lot of the most popular PSOne games were 2D? So, we going to ignore a lot of the 3D games like Tomb Raider (done better by the remake), Resident Evil (again, done better by the remake), Soul Blade (done better by sequels), and Tekken 1/2 (better with sequels).

And you bring up 2D games... you do realize that the PSOne actually bottlenecks even that, right? See: X-Men vs Street Fighter and Street Fighter II (the version that DSP rubs his fame in with).

Alright PSOne didn't age that much better but the controller would be less foreign to someone trying to play a game on it that something like that of the N64s.

Show me visually some games on the N64 that blow something like FFVII out of the water, in fact I'd say FFVII looks better than any N64 game overall.

GameboyTroy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 7

User Lists: 1

#177  Edited By GameboyTroy
Member since 2011 • 9730 Posts
@brah4ever said:
@storm_of_swords said:
@brah4ever said:
@storm_of_swords said:

No Countering system

Blocky visuals

Damn, well said.

You failed to mention No Mercy's lack of a counter system though, that makes a huge difference in gameplay.

No Mercy is definitely top 5 (its second behind DoR), the lack of fatal four way last man standing, no countering system, and sluggish frame-rates (DoR ran at a solid 60 no matter the mode) when playing with four people take it out from the top spot.

The 2K games are definitely way to simulation ish than arcadey, no fun at all in those.

Day of Reckoning played extremely similar to No Mercy its unreal.

I think it did have a counter system. You'd have to press block at a certain time. There's reversals that can turn into moves, pin moves, submissions and finishing moves. Here's one of them.

Loading Video...

HavocV3

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#178  Edited By HavocV3
Member since 2009 • 8068 Posts

@brah4ever said:
@nintendoboy16 said:
@GunSmith1_basic said:

Yeah, but that controller didn't exist until after the N64. Nintendo popularized the analog stick (+ rumble) and Sony followed suit and refined those ideas further.

So it's worth comparing launch controller vs. launch controller for this very reason. The PS1's original controller was 100% useless for the types of 3D games that the N64 was getting. Game franchises & genres that would later come to the PS1 in one form or another. (see: Goldeneye -> The World is Not Enough)

A copy/paste refresh was 100% necessary, even with Sony's gigantic lead in sales.

Avatar image for drummerdave9099
drummerdave9099

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#179 drummerdave9099
Member since 2010 • 4606 Posts

I agree it did not.

Doesn't mean it doesn't have some incredible- nostalgic games. Paper Mario, Donkey Kong 64, Pokemon Snap, Super Mario 64, Banjo Kazooie, Goldeneye, and the Zelda's.

Jag85

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 219

#180 Jag85
Member since 2005 • 19556 Posts

@brah4ever said:
@Jag85 said:
@dynamitecop said:
@Nuck81 said:
@raugutcon said:

Well, the controller is ..... innovative ( meaning is another classic Nintendo shit gimmick ), the DS1 was there at the same time and it´s really a modern controller in pretty much every aspect, as for the games, I look at them for what they were and really enjoy them as they are.

The Dual Shock didn't come out until well after the N64.

Just so you're both aware, the DualShock controller wasn't the PlayStation's first dual analog controller, that would be the PlayStation Dual Analog controller which debuted seven months before the DualShock controller.

Also the Sega Saturn 3D Control Pad released within 12 days of the Nintendo 64's launch, Nintendo got there first, but their development of Analog controllers paralleled that of other companies, they got to market first, that doesn't mean they innovated first.

Nintendo revealed the N64 analog stick in 1995 and released it in 1996. Sony released the Dual Analog in 1997 and the DualShock in 1998. Sony were clearly inspired by the N64 controller, and/or the Saturn 3D Control Pad.

As for Sega, it was indeed parallel development in their case. The Mega Drive/Genesis already had an analog thumbstick controller, the XE1-AP, way back in 1989, but it was exclusive to Japan. Sega also had Saturn 3D Control Pad patents that predate the N64's analog stick reveal in late '95. In this case, it appears that Nintendo was influenced by Sega, rather than the other way around.

Mind blown at a controller like this existing in the 80's.
Mind blown at a controller like this existing in the 80's.
Loading Video...

Jag85

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#181  Edited By Jag85

@Solaryellow said:
@Juub1990 said:
@mark1974 said:

The controller and graphics where hideous even in its day. I was a Super Nintendo fanboy at the time it came out and I have never been more disappointed in anything in my life. Mario 64 was amazing. But nothing very good came after it. Blurry graphics and copious use of fog. Ugly is an understatement and I'm no graphics whore by a long shot.

The screenshot above was one of its better examples.

Nope.

He's quite correct with his assessment of the past situation. IMO we were in awe of having a 3D Zelda or Castlevania that any serious interpretation of the graphical front of the N64 was clouded. Yes some games looked fine but most of what I played was complete bunk. The era was a dark time and rather forgettable to be sure.

It was the most exciting time to be a gamer. Every year, you had groundbreaking, revolutionary games. The amount of experimental, creative games coming out during that era was unrivaled by subsequent generations.

Juub1990

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#182 Juub1990
Member since 2013 • 12620 Posts
@Jag85 said:

It was the most exciting time to be a gamer. Every year, you had groundbreaking, revolutionary games. The amount of experimental, creative games coming out during that era was unrivaled by subsequent generations.

Yeah don't know what the hell this guy is on. N64 era dark times? If anything the creative bankruptcy of today is a dark era. At the time you'd see new ideas on a weekly basis. Games with groundbreaking mechanics would pop out left and right. You had no time to play them all.

Jag85

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#183  Edited By Jag85

It's also worth noting that lo-res PS1/Saturn/N64 games were originally created for lo-res CRT televisions. That's why they look bad on modern HD LCDs, because that's not what they were created for. You're not playing these games at native 240p resolution, but you're upscaling them to 1080p, which distorts the image and makes everything look pixelated. Also, CRTs display images differently to LCDs, with CRTs displaying pixels as scanlines and phosphors, with glowing, blooming, and color bleeding, which smooths out the pixels and gives a cleaner image at low resolution. Playing lo-res games at native 240p on a CRT television looked a lot better than playing them on a modern 1080p LCD display, which makes lo-res games look distorted and pixelated.

mark1974

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#184  Edited By mark1974
Member since 2015 • 4261 Posts

@Juub1990 said:
@Jag85 said:

Yeah don't know what the hell this guy is on. N64 era dark times? If anything the creative bankruptcy of today is a dark era. At the time you'd see new ideas on a weekly basis. Games with groundbreaking mechanics would pop out left and right. You had no time to play them all.

It was a fun time and interesting ideas were being thrown out there but to me much of it fell flat. The Saturn had very little I wanted to play and the N64 was nowhere near as fun as the Super Nintendo before it. We were riding such highs with the SNES that it was really quite a bummer to just throw it all away and start over with this blurry 3D mess. To me Tomb Raider, as bad as it looks today, was more aesthetically pleasing than much of the N64's games. And if you didn't like the 3D platformers you where out of luck because they weren't releasing any 2D ones. What was better, Super Mario World and Super Mario Allstars or Mario 64? A link to the past or OOT? No Metroid on N64. It was far from a dark time but I was more impressed with the innovation on the Playstation than on the Nintendo. N64 was the beginning of the 3rd party drought.

Juub1990

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#186 Juub1990
@mark1974 said:

It was a fun time and interesting ideas were being thrown out there but to me much of it fell flat.

Can't say I agree with that. Most were a good start and were subsequently polished.

Brah4ever

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#187 Brah4ever

@Juub1990 said:
@Jag85 said:

With the AAA market and slowly but recovering AA market, yeah.

Brah4ever

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#188  Edited By Brah4ever

@Jag85 said:
@Solaryellow said:
@Juub1990 said:
@mark1974 said:

The controller and graphics where hideous even in its day. I was a Super Nintendo fanboy at the time it came out and I have never been more disappointed in anything in my life. Mario 64 was amazing. But nothing very good came after it. Blurry graphics and copious use of fog. Ugly is an understatement and I'm no graphics whore by a long shot.

The screenshot above was one of its better examples.

Nope.

He's quite correct with his assessment of the past situation. IMO we were in awe of having a 3D Zelda or Castlevania that any serious interpretation of the graphical front of the N64 was clouded. Yes some games looked fine but most of what I played was complete bunk. The era was a dark time and rather forgettable to be sure.

Its hard to say, gen 6 is where I felt the budgets still hadn't gotten out of hand yet so games were still pumping out left/right and the mechanics and concepts learned from gen 5 were mastered/improved on. Games were looking clean (polygons, 30-60 FPS (GC/Xbox/Dreamcast had a lot of 60 FPS titles), framerates were no longer and issue, Konami, Square, Capcom, Midway, THQ, etc were also still making games.

Plus online gaming became a thing on consoles.

Gen 5 was definitely an interesting one not necessarily in a quality perspective but moreso an experimental one.

Brah4ever

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#189 Brah4ever

@Juub1990 said:
@mark1974 said:

It was a fun time and interesting ideas were being thrown out there but to me much of it fell flat.

Can't say I agree with that. Most were a good start and were subsequently polished.

Have you actually gone back to play some of these games?

Juub1990

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#190  Edited By Juub1990
@brah4ever said:

Yes. Beat Donkey 64 last year and I enjoyed it. Solid game but way way too many collectibles.

The games that really don't hold up at all are the shooters because of their messed up control schemes and absolutely dreadful frame rates. Especially in 4-player mode.

Games like Diddy Kong Racing, Super Mario 64, Ocarina of Time or Banjo Kazooie still play fairly well. That's not taking into account very good Playstation games like Vagrant Story or Brave Fencer Musashi. They all definitely aged worse than the SNES/NES games but the main issues in some of them is the frame rate. Otherwise the rest is fine and many of them were a first into 3D and to me they were a very good start. It's easy to look at them 20 years later and say they weren't good but you have to remember what devs had to work with. Hell some games like Shinobi never managed to transition into 3D properly. It was quite a task at the time.

Solaryellow

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#191 Solaryellow
Member since 2013 • 7034 Posts

@Jag85 said:

Groundbreaking and revolutionary doesn't necessarily equal quality.

Jag85

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#192  Edited By Jag85

@Juub1990 said:
@brah4ever said:

Yes. Beat Donkey 64 last year and I enjoyed it. Solid game but way way too many collectibles.

The games that really don't hold up at all are the shooters because of their messed up control schemes and absolutely dreadful frame rates. Especially in 4-player mode.

Games like Diddy Kong Racing, Super Mario 64, Ocarina of Time or Banjo Kazooie still play fairly well. That's not taking into account very good Playstation games like Vagrant Story or Brave Fencer Musashi. They all definitely aged worse than the SNES/NES games but the main issues in some of them is the frame rate. Otherwise the rest is fine and many of them were a first into 3D and to me they were a very good start. It's easy to look at them 20 years later and say they weren't good but you have to remember what devs had to work with. Hell some games like Shinobi never managed to transition into 3D properly. It was quite a task at the time.

Like I was saying above about how PS1/Saturn/N64 games look better on a CRT TV than on a HD LCD, the same is true for framerates. The framerates don't look anywhere near as choppy on a lo-res CRT TV as they do on a HD LCD. Not only does a lo-res CRT smooth out the pixels (with scanlines, phosphors, glowing, blooming, and color bleeding), but it also smooths out the framerates (with motion blur). That's why playing PS1/Saturn/N64 games on a HD LCD don't look or play as good as we remember them, because back in the days, we were playing them on lo-res CRT TVs, which smoothed out the pixels and framerates.

Jag85

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#193  Edited By Jag85

@Solaryellow said:
@Jag85 said:

Groundbreaking and revolutionary doesn't necessarily equal quality.

I'm talking about excitement, not quality. Excitement comes from experiencing something new. But once you've experienced the same things over and over again, the excitement eventually dies down.

Developers were still trying to figure out how to make 3D games, so they came up with all kinds of bold, creative and experimental games. And each of these new approaches to 3D felt new, fresh and exciting. This creativity and experimentalism peaked in the PS1/Saturn/N64 era, and to an extent, continued into the early Dreamcast/PS2 era. But by the late PS2 era, developers eventually had everything figured out, and they didn't need to experiment anymore. So creativity and experimentalism eventually died down.

sonic_spark

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 6

#194  Edited By sonic_spark
Member since 2003 • 6195 Posts

N64 graphics have not aged well for the most part. Some games have great art that really help. I've read comments that the N64's graphics weren't "good for the time" and they were "disappointing." The N64, imo, was just... freedom. It was the freedom to explore for the first time in ways you couldn't on the Super Nintendo/Genesis - that's what was truly special about the N64.

Otherwise, the GCN/PS2/Xbox/Dreamcast was a much larger leap.

Jag85

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#195  Edited By Jag85

@sonic_spark said:

Otherwise, the GCN/PS2/Xbox/Dreamcast was a much larger leap.

In terms of both hardware and software, Gen 5 was a significantly bigger leap than Gen 6. The leap from 2D-to-3D was an unparalleled leap in the history of gaming.

soul_starter

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#196 soul_starter
Member since 2013 • 1377 Posts

Has nay game from that gen aged well?

The cartoony stuff like Crash, Mario and Banjo could still be passable but even my beloved MGS and Tomb Raider look like shit.

Jag85

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#197 Jag85

@soul_starter said:

Has nay game from that gen aged well?

The 2D games on the Saturn and PS1 have aged remarkably well.

X_CAPCOM_X

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

#198 X_CAPCOM_X
Member since 2004 • 9552 Posts

I owned an N64 and a PS1 during that era, and I recall just how far apart really good worthwhile N64 games released compared to the consistent worthwhile PS1 games. It wasn't even close.

l34052

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

#199  Edited By l34052
Member since 2005 • 3906 Posts

The N64 is the only console that made me go WOW!! The first time I saw Mario 64 I was in awe, it looked like a cartoon rather than a game and I couldn't believe it was playable.

Having grown up on 70s 'consoles' and various 8bit home computers the visuals and control was like nothing before for me, it was an unforgettable experience.

I'm sure that will never happen again now but I'll always have a special place for the blurry foggy N64.

Wiiboxstation

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 5

#200 Wiiboxstation
Member since 2014 • 1753 Posts

Goldeneye aged the worst imo. I tried playing that about a year ago for the first time in years, I was trying to work out how I liked it so much in the first place.