Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

#102  Edited By Juub1990
Member since 2013 • 12620 Posts
@jcrame10 said:

Banjo and Donkey Kong 64 dont look that great. They look kind of fuzzy and washed up- probably the framerate and resolution problems other people have mentioned here.

Conker is an excellent game and one of the few titles that can withstand pretty much any PS1 game. Ocarina of Time and Goldeneye being some others.

Banjo Tooie looks fantastic. All these games used the same engine but Conker's Bad Fur Day really took it to the next level.

The big problem with the PS1 was its low resolution. For 2D sprites it wasn't much of a drawbacks but for 3D polygons it was awful. Games look highly pixelated and the aliasing was awful.

2D games on PS1 probably did look better than on N64 but 3D games? Wasn't even a contest.

jcrame10

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 5

#103 jcrame10
Member since 2014 • 6302 Posts

@Juub1990 said:
@jcrame10 said:

Banjo and Donkey Kong 64 dont look that great. They look kind of fuzzy and washed up- probably the framerate and resolution problems other people have mentioned here.

Conker is an excellent game and one of the few titles that can withstand pretty much any PS1 game. Ocarina of Time and Goldeneye being some others.

Banjo Tooie looks fantastic. All these games used the same engine but Conker's Bad Fur Day really took it to the next level.

The big problem with the PS1 was its low resolution. For 2D sprites it wasn't much of a drawbacks but for 3D polygons it was awful. Games look highly pixelated and the aliasing was awful.

2D games on PS1 probably did look better than on N64 but 3D games? Wasn't even a contest.

Some of the obviously lower budget 3D games like Ape Escape and Medievil look worse than N64. But not Crash or Spyro. Even Croc Legend of the Gobbos looked better than Mario 64.

jcrame10

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 5

#104 jcrame10
Member since 2014 • 6302 Posts

@Juub1990: I havent played Banjo Tooie so I have no opinion of it. I wasnt a fan of the first one I think the collect-a-thon gameplay style is kind of boring. I think Donkey Kong 64 was a step backwards from the DKC games too, although the 4 player splitscreen multiplayer was awesome and we sunk hours into it. Diddys peanut pistols FTW

Juub1990

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#105  Edited By Juub1990
@jcrame10 said:

Some of the obviously lower budget 3D games like Ape Escape and Medievil look worse than N64. But not Crash or Spyro. Even Croc Legend of the Gobbos looked better than Mario 64.

Well obviously a game released 3 years into the PS1's lifetime looked better than a launch N64 title.

Point is the 3D of PS1 was held back by its jaggies and low resolution. It had a nicer color palette but that's about it. N64 could display far more polygons at a higher resolution. Nothing on PS1 came close to Ocarina of Time or Conker's Bad Fur day except for Varant Story but it also suffered from low resolution.

Brah4ever

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#106  Edited By Brah4ever
Member since 2016 • 1704 Posts

@HalcyonScarlet said:
@brah4ever said:
@HalcyonScarlet said:
@brah4ever said:

What does emergent gameplay even mean?

If anything Gen 7 was pretty much an HD gen 6 (with refinements), literally. The pads were the same, and everything.

Motion gaming proved to be a fad, and online gaming already existed to users who had internet in the early 2000s so seeing it on Gen 7 was nothing special. XBL in 2002 had friends list, voice chat, join session in progress, server list, etc.

Arcadey sport games like Def Jam, SSX, Burnout, Midnight Club, NBA Street, Power Stone, etc dying out.

Pretty much Halo, RE4, GTA etc. Influenced all of which Gen 7 would be about, guns and violence and shooter focused. What gen 6 had was the benefit of Japan still being relevant (Konami, Square, Capcom actually made games) and budgets not being out of hand so you had devs bumping out games (many of which are now bankrupt).

Gen 7 brought upon homogenization (tons of gray and brown shooters, companies going bankrupt, entire genres dying out) of the industry and shitty business practices. Its pretty much where it became "cool" to game, in other words it went mainstream.

https://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/commons/0/01/N64-Controller-in-Hand.jpg There was a huge step forward in all areas over its previous gen, it had the hardware to have gameplay the 6th gen couldn't come close to. The 8th gen is almost literally just a minor enhancement over gen 7, there's no remarkable improvement anywhere really, some graphics are starting to stand out, but it's not blowing me away like a new gen should.

I think it's also wrong to imply that creativity mainly came from Japan.

Also, the N64 had some of the best Nintendo and Rare games.

Where else were the improvements, elaborate. Own me.

Rare was in their prime in that era for sure.

Own you? Didn't think it was that kind of discussion. :-P

Improvements for 7th gen?

Graphics, obvious big jump, so lets get that out of the way.

Physics were vastly improved. Big examples FM, GT5, Fight Night Champion, crazy amount of physics there, The Force Unleashed. Better physics in general. This gen I only noticed better physics in FM 5 and 6 over last gen.

Ai showed improvements, haven't been a lot lately.

And obviously more RAM, so bigger worlds with more going on in it.

It's an evolution, but it allowed for a big jump in gameplay. They took a lot of the same gameplay from before and they pushed it forwards. I don't feel that jump this gen.

A lot of the improvements were a natural progression sure.

The 7th gen just came with a significant upgrade, where I don't feel that with gen 8.

It was more incremental, things got better looking and larger.

The actual mechanics and control designs were not created during that gen (aside from the Wii). Only thing I'll give you is the cover mechanics from Gears, now that was something not seen before.

You mentioned physics and most objects in games are still as static as they have been since the dawn of 3D gaming. EA with Frostbite is the only one really pushing sophisticated physics in games.

Look up Rallisport Challenge 2, game has better physics than every 360 gaming, including Forza.

AI in gaming outside of Crysis and F.E.A.R. hasn't changed since gen 5, AI in most games don't react much differently.

Play Perfect Dark and then Play CoD 4, Perfect Dark has the better AI.

Juub1990

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#107 Juub1990

@brah4ever said:

I was baffled by this. Noticed the only shooters in the last 10 years with decent AI were Halo, Fear and Crysis.

HalcyonScarlet

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

#108 HalcyonScarlet
Member since 2011 • 13666 Posts
@brah4ever said:
@HalcyonScarlet said:
@mark1974 said:

@HalcyonScarlet: I'm surprised you can like the N64 but hate the game cube but then turn around and like the WiiU. Actually I shouldn't be surprised as its the opposite of my tastes and we obviously view Nintendo differently. I love 2d Nintendo and any console they make that doesn't include Metriod to me is not worth my time. The Wii had Metriod but it wasn't near enough to save that lowest common denominator commercial success of a console in my eyes.

Nintendo started to have a more casual vibe to their games on the GC and Wii.

@brah4ever said:
@mark1974 said:

@HalcyonScarlet: I'm surprised you can like the N64 but hate the game cube but then turn around and like the Wii. Actually I shouldn't be surprised as its the opposite of my tastes and we obviously view Nintendo differently. I love 2d Nintendo and any console they make that doesn't include Metriod to me is not worth my time. The Wii had Metriod but it wasn't near enough to save that lowest common denominator commercial success in my eyes.

Lol, exactly.

The Gamecube was pretty much an improved N64 with twice the amount of games, way better graphics/framerate/controller.

F-Zero GX

2 Star Fox

3 Zelda Games

2 Metroid Prime Games

2 Pikmin games

Eternal Darkness

Rogue Squadron 1/2

ReMake

RE4

Double Dash

2 Pokemon Games

Phantasy Star Online 1/2

Timesplitters 2/3

Tales of Symphonia

Baten Kaitos 1/2

Lost Kingdoms 1/2

Melee

4 Mario Party Games

Paper Mario TTYD

Twin Snakes

Luigi's Mansion

WWE Day of Reckoning (from the creators of No Mercy)

Nintendo actually tried this generation in terms of games output compared to something like the Wii U, they actually experimented with their games in a way not seen since.

It was pretty much the N64 but with more.

The Wii U is similar to the N64 in terms of games output, zero RPGs and barely any games.

F Zero GX is great.

Star Fox hasn't been good since the N64.

Zelda, TP wasn't bad. Don't like WW, never played Skyward Sword.

Didn't like the Prime games. Like RE4, it's just not for me, I like the old school RE games.

Pikmin was alright.

Eternal Darkness was really good the first time I played it. Needs some refinement, but I enjoyed that.

Rogue Leader on the GC is pretty good, It's no Ace Combat, but it's good. Rogue Squadron 3 is horrible though.

Not a fan of ReMake or any version of the first RE, graphics were good though, RE0 was more my thing. Others have just done it better, that's why everyone is begging for a RE2 remake.

Timesplitters is a poor imitation of Goldeneye and Perfect Dark. I've played them, they tried to move over the same type of game play, but what worked on the N64s digital C buttons is just weird on an analog stick, it's why PD Zero sucks so bad. Then Halo comes along and raises the bar way past Timesplitters.

Never got on with Smash Bros on any console. It's not my type of fighter.

Lol Day of Reckoning is no where NEAR as good as No Mercy. I played the shit out of all the N64s Wrestling games, and they were never as good after that. And I had both of the Day of Reckoning games.

It's not about quantity, but quality. Later Nintendo games just weren't the same. The Wii U has only 13 games on it that I want, but they absolutely slaughter most of Nintendo's GC and Wii games for me, I mean ****, MK 8 beats the living shit out of all the previous ones put together. I still have the GC and Wii and ironically, I still collect games for it, where as I don't on other consoles. I have most of the games listed here.

What made No Mercy better?

They literally felt the same, it's just that Day of Reckoning felt more refined and updated due to the control scheme (countering system), way better graphics, and 60 FPS compared to No Mercys sub 20. I'm willing to bet $ that your joy from No Mercy came more from you having real life people to play with as when by the time DoR released everyone probably moved off to college or went their own ways.

I have a Wii U and Nintendo's games are the safest they've ever been.

Quantity is still important, when your console has 1-3 games a year and ZERO third party support that is a major problem, one that cannot be ignored. Gamecube still has way more higher scoring games than the Wii U so the quantity/quality argument is moot, nice try though.

Mario Kart 8 is the perfect example, its pretty much an HD Mario Kart 7. They took zero risk and simply made a better looking version of a 3DS game.

No Mercy had the better gameplay, I can barely remember DoR, has more button bashing moments. I played them single player. Actually the closest games to No Mercy was the Def Jam games.

Quantity never bothered me. When was the last time a Nintendo home console was most people primary console?

Idk, Mario Kart 8 feels like a bit of a merge of F-Zero GX and Mario Kart to me. I never played Mario Kart 7.

Scores are bit meaningless here, it's opinions, all this is my opinions. I can't factually say anyones is wrong, but I'll put mine forwards.

trugs26

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

#109 trugs26
Member since 2004 • 7539 Posts

Obviously. Just as you said with your analogy to the 2D era, it's part of the first console generation with 3D graphics.

Brah4ever

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#110 Brah4ever

@Juub1990 said:
@brah4ever said:

I was baffled by this. Noticed the only shooters in the last 10 years with decent AI were Halo, Fear and Crysis.

It's crazy to look at how far graphics, physics, and what not have come and yet AI remains stagnant.

Juub1990

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#111 Juub1990
@brah4ever said:

It's crazy to look at how far graphics, physics, and what not have come and yet AI remains stagnant.

Even physics have taken a backseat. Half-Life 2 and Crysis still have a more elaborate physics engine than modern COD and BF games. BF actually took steps backwards from Bad Company in terms of physics and destructible environment.

Brah4ever

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#112  Edited By Brah4ever
Loading Video...

Cars do not get damaged to this extent in Forza, not even Horizon 3.

This is one MS developed game I'd love to see brought back.

This was a decade ago, full damage modeling which affected the way the car handled on top of 1-16 player multiplayer. Probably the most advanced physics of the gen for consoles.

There is a reason why your comments Halycon have me somewhat dumbfounded, I'm not sure if you played the same amount of games I have in each era.

HalcyonScarlet

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#113 HalcyonScarlet
Member since 2011 • 13666 Posts

@brah4ever said:
@HalcyonScarlet said:
@brah4ever said:
@HalcyonScarlet said:
@brah4ever said:

What does emergent gameplay even mean?

If anything Gen 7 was pretty much an HD gen 6 (with refinements), literally. The pads were the same, and everything.

Motion gaming proved to be a fad, and online gaming already existed to users who had internet in the early 2000s so seeing it on Gen 7 was nothing special. XBL in 2002 had friends list, voice chat, join session in progress, server list, etc.

Arcadey sport games like Def Jam, SSX, Burnout, Midnight Club, NBA Street, Power Stone, etc dying out.

Pretty much Halo, RE4, GTA etc. Influenced all of which Gen 7 would be about, guns and violence and shooter focused. What gen 6 had was the benefit of Japan still being relevant (Konami, Square, Capcom actually made games) and budgets not being out of hand so you had devs bumping out games (many of which are now bankrupt).

Gen 7 brought upon homogenization (tons of gray and brown shooters, companies going bankrupt, entire genres dying out) of the industry and shitty business practices. Its pretty much where it became "cool" to game, in other words it went mainstream.

https://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/commons/0/01/N64-Controller-in-Hand.jpg There was a huge step forward in all areas over its previous gen, it had the hardware to have gameplay the 6th gen couldn't come close to. The 8th gen is almost literally just a minor enhancement over gen 7, there's no remarkable improvement anywhere really, some graphics are starting to stand out, but it's not blowing me away like a new gen should.

I think it's also wrong to imply that creativity mainly came from Japan.

Also, the N64 had some of the best Nintendo and Rare games.

Where else were the improvements, elaborate. Own me.

Rare was in their prime in that era for sure.

Own you? Didn't think it was that kind of discussion. :-P

Improvements for 7th gen?

Graphics, obvious big jump, so lets get that out of the way.

Physics were vastly improved. Big examples FM, GT5, Fight Night Champion, crazy amount of physics there, The Force Unleashed. Better physics in general. This gen I only noticed better physics in FM 5 and 6 over last gen.

Ai showed improvements, haven't been a lot lately.

And obviously more RAM, so bigger worlds with more going on in it.

It's an evolution, but it allowed for a big jump in gameplay. They took a lot of the same gameplay from before and they pushed it forwards. I don't feel that jump this gen.

A lot of the improvements were a natural progression sure.

The 7th gen just came with a significant upgrade, where I don't feel that with gen 8.

It was more incremental, things got better looking and larger.

The actual mechanics and control designs were not created during that gen (aside from the Wii). Only thing I'll give you is the cover mechanics from Gears, now that was something not seen before.

You mentioned physics and most objects in games are still as static as they have been since the dawn of 3D gaming. EA with Frostbite is the only one really pushing sophisticated physics in games.

AI in gaming outside of Crysis and F.E.A.R. hasn't changed since gen 5, AI in most games don't react much differently.

It wasn't just incremental.

Perfect Dark, Time splitters ai is crap. Play Cod on hard and it will train you. Now go back to PD, find a smart position, aim for the chest and watch how everyone one runs into your fire. AI has always been slow in development though, but it's on human research, not technology with holds it back. But there is an improvement.

It's not about the objects with physics, but the movement. In Fight Night Champion, the calculations between type of punch, your positions, your arms position, velocity, and where it lands, at what position on the body of your opponent, makes all the difference in damage and this is going on constantly. Then there's the constant calculations of the tyre physics in the FM games, and many games use it improved physics in many different way. Some big some small.

Ace Combat 6 vs the previous ones, huge open world map and incredible physics. The CPU and RAM hardware upgrades allowed for these significant improvements. Huge open world car games like TDU and FH.

Brah4ever

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#114 Brah4ever

@Juub1990 said:
@brah4ever said:

Even physics have taken a backseat. Half-Life 2 and Crysis still have a more elaborate physics engine than modern COD and BF games. BF actually took steps backwards from Bad Company in terms of physics and destructible environment.

100% agree.

Avatar image for deactivated-5e0e425ee91d8
deactivated-5e0e425ee91d8

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#115  Edited By deactivated-5e0e425ee91d8
Member since 2007 • 22399 Posts

The tech has for sure aged like milk, where the SNES aged like a middle class wine.

PS1 has the same issues. A handful of classics that are still fun and a whole lot of clunky growing pains.

PSP107

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#116 PSP107
Member since 2007 • 18799 Posts

@beardmad: "I felt like shoving the controller into my eyes"

That's a funny line.

Avatar image for deactivated-5e9044657a310
deactivated-5e9044657a310

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 6

#117 deactivated-5e9044657a310
Member since 2005 • 8136 Posts

@raugutcon said:

Well, the controller is ..... innovative ( meaning is another classic Nintendo shit gimmick ), the DS1 was there at the same time and it´s really a modern controller in pretty much every aspect, as for the games, I look at them for what they were and really enjoy them as they are.

The Dual Shock didn't come out until well after the N64.

Brah4ever

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#118 Brah4ever

@PSP107 said:

@beardmad: "I felt like shoving the controller into my eyes"

That's a funny line.

Sounds like that would be painful.

Brah4ever

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#119 Brah4ever

btw Jub, if anything FPS actually took a step back fundamentally with CoD 4.

They got less complex and for the most part got streamlined for the masses.

N64DD

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#120 N64DD
Member since 2015 • 13167 Posts

@mark1974 said:

The controller and graphics where hideous even in its day. I was a Super Nintendo fanboy at the time it came out and I have never been more disappointed in anything in my life. Mario 64 was amazing. But nothing very good came after it. Blurry graphics and copious use of fog. Ugly is an understatement and I'm no graphics whore by a long shot.

The screenshot above was one of its better examples.

I want the drugs you're on.

Avatar image for deactivated-5d1e44cf96229
deactivated-5d1e44cf96229

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#121 deactivated-5d1e44cf96229
Member since 2015 • 2814 Posts

@brah4ever said:

WWE Day of Reckoning (from the creators of No Mercy and ran at a locked 60 FPS and is one of the best looking games of the gen)

That's not correct. Day of Reckoning was not by the creators of No Mercy. Day of Reckoning was made by Yukes and No Mercy was made by AKI.

No Mercy is widely considered to still be the greatest wrestling game of all time to this day and while Day of Reckoning is good, it can't compare to how amazing No Mercy is. And I'm not just being nostalgic about the past either as I still play No Mercy on a regular basis and I've been playing it regularly for the past 16 years while also trying out all of the wrestling games that have been released since then and none of them have been able to top No Mercy.

Brah4ever

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#122  Edited By Brah4ever

@storm_of_swords said:
@brah4ever said:

WWE Day of Reckoning (from the creators of No Mercy and ran at a locked 60 FPS and is one of the best looking games of the gen)

That's not correct. Day of Reckoning was not by the creators of No Mercy. Day of Reckoning was made by Yukes and No Mercy was made by AKI.

No Mercy is widely considered to still be the greatest wrestling game of all time to this day and while Day of Reckoning is good, it can't compare to how amazing No Mercy is. And I'm not just being nostalgic about the past either as I still play No Mercy on a regular basis and I've been playing it regularly for the past 16 years while also trying out all of the wrestling games that have been released since then and none of them have been able to top No Mercy.

What was it about No Mercy that made it better than any wrestling game that came after?

No Mercy is good, but come on now...

The game was sluggish (future games ran at 60 FPS).

No Countering system

Blocky visuals

Some wrestling games that came after, Here Comes the Pain, Day of Reckoning, and some of the SvR games did everything No Mercy did and then some.

You probably played No Mercy when you had friends around and by the time others came you had no one to play with it so you hold No Mercy dearly.

Look at how sluggish this plays.

Loading Video...

mark1974

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#123  Edited By mark1974
Member since 2015 • 4261 Posts

@n64dd said:
@mark1974 said:

The controller and graphics where hideous even in its day. I was a Super Nintendo fanboy at the time it came out and I have never been more disappointed in anything in my life. Mario 64 was amazing. But nothing very good came after it. Blurry graphics and copious use of fog. Ugly is an understatement and I'm no graphics whore by a long shot.

Alcohol and the occasional dose of nicotine. Not sure if it'll help but give it a try anyway.

nintendoboy16

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 43

User Lists: 14

#124 nintendoboy16
Member since 2007 • 41536 Posts

Considering it has the start of Factor 5 Star Wars games (Rogue Squadron, Battle for Naboo), Rayman 2 (one of the superior versions), Mario 64, the two 3D Zeldas, Rare's games, Star Fox 64, Gauntlet Legends, and the like, not going to agree.

N64DD

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#125  Edited By N64DD

@mark1974 said:
@n64dd said:
@mark1974 said:

Alcohol and the occasional dose of nicotine. Not sure if it'll help but give it a try anyway.

lol I have the Alcohol part down. How are you saying that nothing good after mario 64? OOT? Majora's mask? Goldeneye? Perfect dark? Mario Kart 64?

mark1974

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#126 mark1974

@n64dd said:
@mark1974 said:
@n64dd said:
@mark1974 said:

lol I have the Alcohol part down. How are you saying that nothing good after mario 64? OOT? Majora's mask? Goldeneye? Perfect dark?

I thought Goldeneye and Perfect Dark were quite good for the time actually. Fun games. Not so much anymore though. I never liked OOT. I'm in the minority there so I guess I'm missing something. Actually the only two Zelda games I ever liked were the first one and a Link to the Past. I was a 2D devotee and hated that thing. I loved the NES and SNes. I had to be carried kicking and screaming into the modern day and just never got on with the early 3D games for the most part. I did really like Tomb Raider though. I missed the Super Nintendo and thought Nintendo had lost the plot. I still do. Just one man's opinion. Many more than just you will see it differently. The N64 made me very unhappy back then and I have no desire to revisit it. For me it was the beginning of the end but I did like the Gamecube even if I thought it was the weakest of it's gen. That gen was the best though.

N64DD

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#127 N64DD

@mark1974 said:
@n64dd said:
@mark1974 said:
@n64dd said:
@mark1974 said:

lol I have the Alcohol part down. How are you saying that nothing good after mario 64? OOT? Majora's mask? Goldeneye? Perfect dark?

I thought Goldeneye and Perfect Dark were quite good for the time actually. Fun games. Not so much anymore though. I never liked OOT. I'm in the minority there so I guess I'm missing something. Actually the only two Zelda games I ever liked were the first one and a Link to the Past. I was a 2D devotee and hated that thing. I loved the NES and SNes. I had to be carried kicking and screaming into the modern day and just never got on with the early 3D games for the most part. I did really like Tomb Raider though. I missed the Super Nintendo and thought Nintendo had lost the plot. I still do. Just one man's opinion. Many more than just you will see it differently. The N64 made me very unhappy back then and I have no desire to revisit it. For me it was the beginning of the end but I did like the Gamecube even if I thought it was the weakest of it's gen. That gen was the best though.

Fair enough! I was never nuts about OOT but respected it. Goldeneye was great for MP because all my friends and I are huge fans of the movies.

Brah4ever

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#128 Brah4ever

@n64dd said:
@mark1974 said:
@n64dd said:
@mark1974 said:
@n64dd said:

Fair enough! I was never nuts about OOT but respected it. Goldeneye was great for MP because all my friends and I are huge fans of the movies.

Did you like Goldeneye more than Perfect Dark?

N64DD

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#129 N64DD

@brah4ever said:
@n64dd said:
@mark1974 said:
@n64dd said:
@mark1974 said:

Yes, mainly because of the characters and being a huge Bond Fan. (seen all the movies at least 10-20 times each).

Brah4ever

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#130  Edited By Brah4ever

@n64dd said:
@brah4ever said:
@n64dd said:
@mark1974 said:

Yes, mainly because of the characters and being a huge Bond Fan. (seen all the movies at least 10-20 times each).

That's pretty hardcore.

Best Bond movie is?

mark1974

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#131 mark1974

@n64dd: Neither here nor there but I also appreciate a good James Bond movie. I prefer the Sean Connery days as I assume most people do. Roger Moore was cool too though.

mark1974

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#132 mark1974

@brah4ever: Gold Finger. From Russia with love.

N64DD

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#133  Edited By N64DD

@brah4ever said:
@n64dd said:
@brah4ever said:
@n64dd said:

That's pretty hardcore.

Best Bond movie is?

Probably Goldfinger. Even though Jaws is my favorite villain and I actually think Roger Moore is my favorite bond.

@mark1974 *high five*. Fantastic movies.

mark1974

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#134 mark1974

@n64dd: Jaws is my favorite villain too.

N64DD

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#135 N64DD

@mark1974 said:

When he turns good because of that girl, it cracks me up to no end.

VanDammFan

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#136 VanDammFan
Member since 2009 • 4783 Posts

Graphically games have aged well enough for me..its the controls that have issues most times. You people complaining about graphics might want to go back and play some Atari 2600 games..That should shut you up quite fast.Now enjoy your boxes and games and quit worrying about it.

mark1974

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#137 mark1974

@n64dd said:
@mark1974 said:

When he turns good because of that girl, it cracks me up to no end.

Yeah, lol. I've decided just now that I'm going to rewatch Moonraker and the Spy who loved me this weekend. That is my lofty goal anyways. People better leave me alone and let me do it.

mark1974

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#138 mark1974

@VanDammFan said:

Graphically games have aged well enough for me..its the controls that have issues most times. You people complaining about graphics might want to go back and play some Atari 2600 games..That should shut you up quite fast.Now enjoy your boxes and games and quit worrying about it.

Say what you will but my Atari is broken and I've been dying to play Stampede and Turmoil for some time now. Emulators won't cut it either. I need the joystick!

xdude85

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#139 xdude85
Member since 2006 • 6559 Posts

Coming from the same person that said the SNES was overrated.

It's like no shit if you play N64 games now of course they're going to look unimpressive, it was the first era of 3D games, but they're still a blast to play even to this day.

dynamitecop

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#140 dynamitecop
Member since 2004 • 6395 Posts

@Nuck81 said:
@raugutcon said:

Well, the controller is ..... innovative ( meaning is another classic Nintendo shit gimmick ), the DS1 was there at the same time and it´s really a modern controller in pretty much every aspect, as for the games, I look at them for what they were and really enjoy them as they are.

Just so you're both aware, the DualShock controller wasn't the PlayStation's first dual analog controller, that would be the PlayStation Dual Analog controller which debuted seven months before the DualShock controller.

Also the Sega Saturn 3D Control Pad released within 12 days of the Nintendo 64's launch, Nintendo got there first, but their development of Analog controllers paralleled that of other companies, they got to market first, that doesn't mean they innovated first.

Jag85

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 219

#141  Edited By Jag85
Member since 2005 • 19555 Posts

Technically, the N64 was the most powerful home system during 1996-1997. The N64's RCP was the first T&L GPU seen on a home system, three years before PC got its first T&L GPU (GeForce 256). The RCP also had a powerful programmable microcode capability. However, it was held back by SGI's standard Fast3D microcode, which Nintendo forced all developers to use. The blurry textures and low frame-rates that plagued many N64 games was because the Fast3D microcode that developers were forced to use was poorly optimized for the N64 (e.g. its texture cache). Nintendo refused to share the microcode development tools with developers until near the end of the N64's life.

When developers were finally able to program their own custom RCP microcode, the results were often remarkable, with games like Indiana Jones and World Driver Championship, even without the RAM expansion, blowing away anything on the PS1. World Driver Championship, which was running with a high resolution, smooth frame rate, high polygon counts, detailed textures, and advanced lighting (all without any RAM expansion), looked even more impressive than any PC games released up until 1998. But this was only when developers were allowed to program their own custom RCP microcode, rather than being stifled by Nintendo's standard Fast3D microcode.

However, even with the standard Fast3D microcode, the N64's issues weren't as bad as the PS1, with its lack of Z-buffering and perspective correction leading to countless PS1 games being plagued by texture pop-in, polygons that look disconnected, and shaky jittering polygons, not to mention everything looking pixelated. These were bigger issues than the blurry textures that plagued many N64 games.

Jag85

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 219

#142  Edited By Jag85
Member since 2005 • 19555 Posts

@dynamitecop said:
@Nuck81 said:
@raugutcon said:

Just so you're both aware, the DualShock controller wasn't the PlayStation's first dual analog controller, that would be the PlayStation Dual Analog controller which debuted seven months before the DualShock controller.

Also the Sega Saturn 3D Control Pad released within 12 days of the Nintendo 64's launch, Nintendo got there first, but their development of Analog controllers paralleled that of other companies, they got to market first, that doesn't mean they innovated first.

Nintendo revealed the N64 analog stick in 1995 and released it in 1996. Sony released the Dual Analog in 1997 and the DualShock in 1998. Sony were clearly inspired by the N64 controller, and/or the Saturn 3D Control Pad.

As for Sega, it was indeed parallel development in their case. The Mega Drive/Genesis already had an analog thumbstick controller, the XE1-AP, way back in 1989, but it was exclusive to Japan. Sega also had Saturn 3D Control Pad patents that predate the N64's analog stick reveal in late '95. In this case, it appears that Nintendo was influenced by Sega, rather than the other way around.

R4gn4r0k

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

#143  Edited By R4gn4r0k
Member since 2004 • 46328 Posts

I absolutely hate early 3D graphics. The only thing I can stand anymore are early FPS like Duke Nukem or DOOM.

Give me those beautiful 16bit sprites any day.

Early 3D mario is fuel for nightmares

Avatar image for deactivated-5acbb9993d0bd
deactivated-5acbb9993d0bd

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#144 deactivated-5acbb9993d0bd
Member since 2012 • 12449 Posts

It's alright on an emulator... playing Star Fox 64 without the frame lag is great.

There are only about 10 worthwhile games on the system though, I could happily play them now and then.

nintendoboy16

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 43

User Lists: 14

#145 nintendoboy16
Member since 2007 • 41536 Posts

@mark1974 said:
@VanDammFan said:

Say what you will but my Atari is broken and I've been dying to play Stampede and Turmoil for some time now. Emulators won't cut it either. I need the joystick!

Or use a SEGA Genesis controller. No, I'm not kidding. (I learned that from AVGN)

Solaryellow

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#146 Solaryellow
Member since 2013 • 7034 Posts

@Juub1990 said:
@mark1974 said:

Nope.

He's quite correct with his assessment of the past situation. IMO we were in awe of having a 3D Zelda or Castlevania that any serious interpretation of the graphical front of the N64 was clouded. Yes some games looked fine but most of what I played was complete bunk. The era was a dark time and rather forgettable to be sure.

DocSanchez

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

#147 DocSanchez
Member since 2013 • 5557 Posts

Games from that gen have generally not aged well graphically especially. There are a few exceptions of course. I do like some of the 32 bit era 2D games. But without the fog of nostalgia some of the classics of the era are too dated to even play.

Brah4ever

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#148 Brah4ever

@Jag85 said:
@dynamitecop said:
@Nuck81 said:
@raugutcon said:

Nintendo revealed the N64 analog stick in 1995 and released it in 1996. Sony released the Dual Analog in 1997 and the DualShock in 1998. Sony were clearly inspired by the N64 controller, and/or the Saturn 3D Control Pad.

As for Sega, it was indeed parallel development in their case. The Mega Drive/Genesis already had an analog thumbstick controller, the XE1-AP, way back in 1989, but it was exclusive to Japan. Sega also had Saturn 3D Control Pad patents that predate the N64's analog stick reveal in late '95. In this case, it appears that Nintendo was influenced by Sega, rather than the other way around.

Mind blown at a controller like this existing in the 80's.
Mind blown at a controller like this existing in the 80's.

Brah4ever

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#149 Brah4ever

@MBirdy88 said:

It's alright on an emulator... playing Star Fox 64 without the frame lag is great.

There are only about 10 worthwhile games on the system though, I could happily play them now and then.

What's your top 10 games on the system consist of?

pelvist

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 23

#150 pelvist
Member since 2010 • 9001 Posts

N64 was never that good to begin with. I can count the games I liked on one hand. I swapped mine for some PSX games.