???Manly Sniper Lounge v73®???. Edition EX2+ Turbo. ??? Hyper Posting.

This topic is locked from further discussion.

ConanTheStoner

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

#1201 ConanTheStoner
Member since 2011 • 23712 Posts
@jg4xchamp said:

You need to say **** that to Mother Russia, and get Furi fam.

This game is our kind of masochist fodder lol. But not while you are on fucking big projects, the fucking Burst and her evil whoreness was not good for my old man wrists and my blood pressure.

Mother Russia Bleeds scratches a certain itch, classic beat em up without the limitations of the classics.

But yeah bro, Furi has been on the to do list for a while. Is it Aces Wild levels of savage? Because I can't do that lol. I tried playing Aces Wild again recently, local co-op with one of the bros... and playing co-op actually made it worse lol.

clyde46

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

#1202  Edited By clyde46
Member since 2005 • 49061 Posts

My Auntie wanted to know why her PC kept shutting down.

ConanTheStoner

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#1203 ConanTheStoner

@clyde46:

Wow dude lol.

Better take that shit outside.

PyratRum

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 5

#1204 PyratRum
Member since 2013 • 778 Posts

@ConanTheStoner said:

Mother Russia Bleeds scratches a certain itch, classic beat em up without the limitations of the classics.

And it's absolutely brutal as f*ck.

ConanTheStoner

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#1205 ConanTheStoner

@pyratrum said:
@ConanTheStoner said:

And it's absolutely brutal as f*ck.

Yup.

Honestly, my only gripe so far is that while it's definitely inspired by the feel of Hotline Miami, it really fails to capture the essence. Stylistically it comes off as a cheap knock off at times. I think they nailed the visual inspiration, but the music is hit or miss and the characters and writing (yeah I know it's a 2d beat em up lol) fall short.

Anyways, those are microscopic non-issues. What I've played so far is exactly what I was hoping for from the game.

lundy86_4

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

#1207 lundy86_4  Online
Member since 2003 • 61488 Posts

@clyde46: Erm... Wh-What is that? A fan?

clyde46

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#1208  Edited By clyde46

@lundy86_4 said:

@clyde46: Erm... Wh-What is that? A fan?

The rad for the liquid cooler. Its not been cleaned in over 4 years. She's got lots of pets and had the builders in recently too.

jg4xchamp

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 14

#1209 jg4xchamp
Member since 2006 • 64037 Posts
@ConanTheStoner said:
@jg4xchamp said:

You need to say **** that to Mother Russia, and get Furi fam.

This game is our kind of masochist fodder lol. But not while you are on fucking big projects, the fucking Burst and her evil whoreness was not good for my old man wrists and my blood pressure.

But yeah bro, Furi has been on the to do list for a while. Is it Aces Wild levels of savage? Because I can't do that lol. I tried playing Aces Wild again recently, local co-op with one of the bros... and playing co-op actually made it worse lol.

Uh, it might be that savage on the difficulty, but it feels more fair if that makes sense?

Aces Wild makes it feel like you don't do enough damage, the way the health/life system works in Furi is really fucking dope though.

lundy86_4

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#1211 lundy86_4  Online

@clyde46 said:

The rad for the liquid cooler. Its not been cleaned in over 4 years. She's got lots of pets and had the builders in recently too.

Good God, I actually couldn't tell, though the two pipes coming off should have given it away. Is there any permanent damage?

clyde46

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#1212  Edited By clyde46

@lundy86_4 said:
@clyde46 said:

Good God, I actually couldn't tell, though the two pipes coming off should have given it away. Is there any permanent damage?

Nah. Ran Aid64 first, temps hit 90'C at stock clocks after just a minute. Cleaned it out, ran the test again, temps went down to 66'C on the hottest core. Average temps for a billion chrome tabs, 3 instances of Second Life and one tab of BBC iPlayer live TV, 37'C on the hottest core. Not bad if I do say so.

lundy86_4

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#1213  Edited By lundy86_4  Online

@clyde46 said:

Nah. Ran Aid64 first, temps hit 90'C at stock clocks after just a minute. Cleaned it out, ran the test again, temps went down to 66'C on the hottest core. Average temps for a billion chrome tabs, 3 instances of Second Life and one tab of BBC iPlayer live TV, 37'C on the hottest core. Not bad if I do say so.

Jesus, I need to get into liquid cooling. Barring the not being cleaned, those are some rock solid temps.

I run an i5 4690k and it usually hits 62-66 on a stock cooler in any kind of gaming scenario. I've been meaning to actually get a new cooler, but i'm not too worried yet. The mini-ITX build does limit me a little.

ConanTheStoner

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#1214 ConanTheStoner
@jg4xchamp said:

Uh, it might be that savage on the difficulty, but it feels more fair if that makes sense?

Makes perfect sense actually. I never felt like I was playing poorly in Aces, I just felt like I was being suffocated by the system lol. I'd argue that the mission modes in NGB or the witch trials in Bayo 2 are noticeably more challenging, but there was more of a light at the end of the tunnel so to speak.

That's all I needed to know to pull the trigger, Furi will now go from my wishlist to my library lol.

clyde46

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#1215 clyde46

@lundy86_4 said:
@clyde46 said:

Jesus, I need to get into liquid cooling. Barring the not being cleaned, those are some rock solid temps.

I run an i5 4690k and it usually hits 62-66 on a stock cooler in any kind of gaming scenario. I've been meaning to actually get a new cooler, but i'm not too worried yet. The mini-ITX build does limit me a little.

What case do you have?

illmatic87

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 564

#1216 illmatic87
Member since 2008 • 17935 Posts
@jg4xchamp said:
@mems_1224 said:
@jg4xchamp said:

Giantbomb made Windjammers Online happen, what is life?

collusion!

Right? They are straight up using their boys, and saying bro, go tell your boss we need more windjammers. And somehow someone at Sony is going "damn, lets do it, these kids are really into Windjammers". Fucking Jeff Gertsmann lol

What a travesty

mmmwksil

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#1217 mmmwksil
Member since 2003 • 16423 Posts

I accidentally deleted my post (stupid dying mouse battery).

Island trials are boring and Festival Plaza sucks. "Best Pokemon game ever" my butt. The game hasn't done much if anything better than XY and ORAS before it.

lundy86_4

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#1218 lundy86_4  Online

@clyde46 said:

What case do you have?

Bitfenix Prodigy, with no added case fans. Gigabyte's mini-ITX series is a Godsend.

Less noise than my PS4.

clyde46

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#1219 clyde46

The is going on with that dam thumb?

jg4xchamp

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#1220  Edited By jg4xchamp

@Maroxad said:

Couldnt even force myself to beat that one.

I mean it said Dragon Quest right on the box. It telegraphs its awfulness for everyone to see.

clyde46

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#1221  Edited By clyde46

@lundy86_4 said:
@clyde46 said:

What case do you have?

Bitfenix Prodigy, with no added case fans. Gigabyte's mini-ITX series is a Godsend.

Less noise than my PS4.

I have that case, bought it from someone years ago but never actually used it. You can get a 240mm in the roof of that no problem.

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?item=N82E16835181103

$102 American Yankee Doddles. No sure how much that would be in Canadian Maple leaves.

lundy86_4

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#1222 lundy86_4  Online

@clyde46 said:

I have that case, bought it from someone years ago but never actually used it. You can get a 240mm in the roof of that no problem.

$102 American Yankee Doddles. No sure how much that would be in Canadian Maple leaves.

Thanks, i'll have a look. Roughly 1000 Maple Leaves should cover it.

clyde46

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#1223 clyde46

@lundy86_4 said:
@clyde46 said:

Thanks, i'll have a look. Roughly 1000 Maple Leaves should cover it.

No problem! Also, why does Newegg not open a UK based warehouse?! Found a GTX 1080 for less than £450! Got to check out, £100+ VAT on top of £48 shipping costs! **** that noise.

mjorh

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 13

#1224 mjorh
Member since 2011 • 6749 Posts

That moment where the story of a videogame gets the highlight but no one talks about its gameplay... you know sth is wrong.

jg4xchamp

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#1225 jg4xchamp

@mjorh said:

That moment where the story of a videogame gets the highlight but no one talks about its gameplay... you know sth is wrong.

Not that I don't enjoy that you've seen the light my son, but fam, that's exactly what Mass Effect was. Dope characters n universe, fun stories (sans ending), but the gameplay was a suspect ass version of Gears of War.

ConanTheStoner

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#1226 ConanTheStoner

@mjorh said:

Always a bad sign. Hope you're not looking forward to GoW4 lol.

jg4xchamp

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#1227 jg4xchamp

God of Bore, max yuck.

mjorh

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#1228  Edited By mjorh

@jg4xchamp said:
@mjorh said:

Not that I don't enjoy that you've seen the light my son, but fam, that's exactly what Mass Effect was. Dope characters n universe, fun stories (sans ending), but the gameplay was a suspect ass version of Gears of War.

*chuckles*

The thing is, i loved Gears of War and overall i like cover shooters, at the time i was playing Mass Effect series (especially the second one) i was invested in characters, story and the universe ...and it was a cover-shooter like gears of war so i enjoyed that too (granted not as good as Gears of War), i wasn't that meticulous or sensitive about gameplay to notice its faults (and it was like my first RPG experience...like a first love, it made me blind :D) ... and when it comes to Mass Effect, ppl atleast care about gameplay... you see them talking about it ... even for the latest one, we as fans were waiting for some gameplay to be shown and i was disappointed that why they've shown nothing of it until lately they did .... but in the recent The Last of Us 2 case, almost everyone talks about its story ....a single CGI trailer, where there's no gameplay shown whatsoever, and it's basically a movie at this moment, has made ppl to think it's the definite GOAT or sth (i know it's rather about hype tho) ... and no one even says anything about how the gameplay might turn out to be...even its die-hard fans ... hell even its director talks about story .... and this makes you think, by having an emotional story and investing on characters you can easily cover the gameplay's shortcomings ... this is exactly what The Last of Us has done imo .... yeah i know you're gonna say Mass Effect is like that too :D and i agree to some degree .... but it's not as intense as this one ... ppl do care about its gameplay...you're role-playing there.... ...but in TLOU case, almost no one cares ...hell even i don't care lol, but i'm not a huge fan , i don't call it the greatest thing ever ...... this all feels wrong ...that you can cover gameplay's drawbacks by an emotional story.... and it does work ...it even worked on me ... but in the past few months, i've been digging a lot about gameplay, level design, etc ....and you introduced some awesome channels for me, which i'm grateful for, and all of those made me reconsider my stance on videogames, and one more thing is that, i haven't played as many games as you guys have, there are a lotta great games that i haven't played ... it takes time to see things from different perspectives and appreciate them.

Another thing is Overwatch being GotY, some ppl really think it doesn't deserve it simply because it doesn't have a story ... it's preposterous

i gotta say tho, The Last of Us is good in terms of gameplay and i loved its pacing, it just feels wrong that ppl don't care about it ... it's all about story story story! like we're waiting for a movie to come out.

mjorh

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#1230  Edited By mjorh

@ConanTheStoner said:
@mjorh said:

Always a bad sign. Hope you're not looking forward to GoW4 lol.

Yeah, i'm all in for having good stories in videogames, but gameplay should always be the top priority ... and with this recent TLOU2 case, i felt like a movie is gonna come out lol , yeah it's a bad sign when you see gameplay is taking a backseat ....and on, especially social media, you see comments like "Gaming is evolving thx to TLOU2, Death Stranding" , "games like Death Stranding and TLOU2 are masterpiece" ...like srsly? i get the hype, it's totally fine, but man some ppl take it too far

No i'm not :D, i haven't played the series actually

93BlackHawk93

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 24

#1231 93BlackHawk93
Member since 2010 • 8611 Posts

Ever since beating the 3rd boss in Furi I'm scared of continuing the game after a boss that tough.

jg4xchamp

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#1232 jg4xchamp

@mjorh said:
@jg4xchamp said:

*chuckles*

The thing is, i loved Gears of War and overall i like cover shooters, at the time i was playing Mass Effect series (especially the second one) i was invested in characters, story and the universe ...and it was a cover-shooter like gears of war so i enjoyed that too (granted not as good as Gears of War), i wasn't that meticulous or sensitive about gameplay to notice its faults (and it was like my first RPG experience...like a first love, it made me blind :D) ... and when it comes to Mass Effect, ppl atleast care about gameplay... you see them talking about it ... even for the latest one, we as fans were waiting for some gameplay to be shown and i was disappointed that why they've shown nothing of it until lately they did .... but in the recent The Last of Us 2 case, almost everyone talks about its story ....a single CGI trailer, where there's no gameplay shown whatsoever, and it's basically a movie at this moment, has made ppl to think it's the definite GOAT or sth (i know it's rather about hype tho) ... and no one even says anything about how the gameplay might turn out to be...even its die-hard fans ... hell even its director talks about story .... and this makes you think, by having an emotional story and investing on characters you can easily cover the gameplay's shortcomings ... this is exactly what The Last of Us has done imo .... yeah i know you're gonna say Mass Effect is like that too :D and i agree to some degree .... but it's not as intense as this one ... ppl do care about its gameplay...you're role-playing there.... ...but in TLOU case, almost no one cares ...hell even i don't care lol, but i'm not a huge fan , i don't call it the greatest thing ever ...... this all feels wrong ...that you can cover gameplay's drawbacks by an emotional story.... and it does work ...it even worked on me ... but in the past few months, i've been digging a lot about gameplay, level design, etc ....and you introduced some awesome channels for me, which i'm grateful for, and all of those made me reconsider my stance on videogames, and one more thing is that, i haven't played as many games as you guys have, there are a lotta great games that i haven't played ... it takes time to see things from different perspectives and appreciate them.

Another thing is Overwatch being GotY, some ppl really think it doesn't deserve it simply because it doesn't have a story ... it's preposterous

i gotta say tho, The Last of Us is good in terms of gameplay and i loved its pacing, it just feels wrong that ppl don't care about it ... it's all about story story story! like we're waiting for a movie to come out.

I mean that goes back to gamers are shit. The Last of Us isn't exactly the deepest thing mechanically, but the situational depth is there, and its different pieces form to make an engaging gameplay loop that Naughty Dog paces really well. Plus the whole getting a plank thing and getting a ladder thing isn't nearly as fucking lame as the mindless climbing you do in Uncharted 4 or go get this crate on wheels bullshit.

I also think the gunplay gets some unnecessary jabs, it's not supposed to be deadly accurate. But each bullet has a lot of oomph to it, it's loud, it's cruncy, the bullet damage itself on enemies is super satisfying, and the sway makes the act of shooting a gun a little bit more interesting than point-shoot-drop. I'd like more layers to the sneaking gameplay, but that at least is better served in The Last of Us, than it ever is in Uncharted 4 by comparison with its spaces. On higher difficulties ghosting a lot of the areas is a viable option, in Uncharted 4? lol yeah okay.

But on balance sure, Naughty Dog doesn't get scrutinized enough for their gameplay decision making, but we're talking about a forum that looks at a MP only game as some massive sin. But **** some middle of the road turd person shooter told a decent direct to dvd movie story that would have been ripped a new one by film critics? **** GOTY EVERY YEAR!

MistressMinako

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

#1233 MistressMinako
Member since 2008 • 45964 Posts

@jg4xchamp: I see you are still telling people their gaming choices suck. lol

mjorh

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#1234 mjorh

@jg4xchamp: True that.

What do you say about its AI? That was my another gripe with The Last of Us, aside from Clickers, other encounters left a lot to be desired and Elly wasn't that great of a companion

This video addresses the AI issues so well, however, i think you've watched it already.

Loading Video...

i hope ND does a better job with AI and those cool down moments this time around, some good puzzles with a certain degree of variety would be nice, not another ladder shit ....but i guess their main focus will still be story, as that's what ppl expect from them.

uninspiredcup

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 86

User Lists: 2

#1235 uninspiredcup  Online
Member since 2013 • 58995 Posts

Picard is hero.

Loading Video...

jg4xchamp

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#1236 jg4xchamp
@mjorh said:

@jg4xchamp: True that.

What do you say about its AI? That was my another gripe with The Last of Us, aside from Clickers, other encounters left a lot to be desired and Elly wasn't that great of a companion

This video addresses the AI issues so well, however, i think you've watched it already.

i hope ND does a better job with AI and those cool down moments this time around, some good puzzles with a certain degree of variety would be nice, not another ladder shit ....but i guess their main focus will still be story, as that's what ppl expect from them.

There is a give n take to it. The untold secret of all stealth games, is that you need the enemy AI to be a little dumb and easy to manipulate. Because if they cover a little too well, you make the gameplay way too trial and error, or just out right infuriating (especially since that genre is mostly built around weakening the player).

For instance it's not an issue on lower difficulties, but because Uncharted 4 just does this basic line of sight shit, on Crushing it doesn't adjust enemy placement, and the extended line of sight means on crushing you start a lot of fights already with an enemy looking near your direction. Forcing him to either check shit out, or full on go alert in spots, and it is lame. The Last of Us in that regard is a bit better, but yeah there is a lot of jarring shit like them looking at the corner of rooms. That stuff doesn't help, it be nicer if the AI patrol patterns were built to be more convincing. Also yeah that whole balance of power shit isn't even there, and that's lame. Now it's a bit more dynamic than some other tps games in how they coordinate, how they respond to certain situations, but let's not get carried away; no one is mistaking that game for FEAR.

I'm also not a fan of that game or Bioshock Infinite's handling of the support AI. I get that we have to meme it and act like all escort missions are bad, but Resident Evil 4 exists and all its detractors can promptly **** off. She's stuck to Leon like glue so she's never in a position to **** you over by running the wrong way or with poor path finding (like say escorts in every other fucking game), and because you have actual command over her behavior you can pin her in a spot, and go take care of business up ahead. Plus dumpsters. Given how those two games gas up their "immersion" and that hardware was a lot stronger than the one that RE4 was built on, it is ridiculous that no one has gone on to do something better than that by now. Is it perfect? No, but at least they fucking acknowledged what they were doing and came up with something. Naughty Dog and Irrational were all "we can't get it to work, so **** it, video game logic fam". Which is way dumb, considering how super serious those games take themselves versus the game that has a goofy merchant.

At the least, you can't write "don't make noise" and then have the character go ooga booga booga like they give no fucks. It's especially jarring since the only form of light in that game is that bright ass flashlight that the zombies can't see, because reasons?

The AI while misleading and insulting for not living up to the E3 pitch, didn't ultimately ruin my experience with the game. Immersion breaking out the ass, but the stealth to combat sequences stay engaging through out that game, and part of it was because Naughty Dog discovered to actually create some breathing room and options to their level design. I'd like them to double down and add more mechanics to their sneaking and survival elements. Because Uncharted 4's action was strong, but there just isn't enough of it for its fucking run time. I get that The Last of Us tonally is about less of a body count (something I think the first game did well enough, while still being gamey), but instead of coming up with walk n talk about segments. How about some genuine sneaking n what not.

Maroxad

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#1237 Maroxad
Member since 2007 • 23920 Posts

@mjorh said:

*chuckles*

Yeah, that is preposterous indeed. If there is any game from this year that will still be remembered and played 5 years down the road. It is Overwatch. If there is any game that I felt truly made an impact, it is Overwatch.

Gaming stories never realy mattered much to me. In most cases, I feel a minimalistic story (Super Mario Bros) is better than the stories we do get in gaming. Because at least those stories dont waste your time. It is extremely rare for me to give a slightest **** about the story on in a video game. Lol at the shitters who told me that GTA4 had a good story and was well written. The dialogue came across as being written by 12 year olds and the gameplay/story segregration was unreal. The RPG genre in particular seems to suffer from this misguided focus on story. Which is one of the main reasons mainstream wRPGs are so shit.

mjorh

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#1238 mjorh

@jg4xchamp: Hmmm, i can't imagine how them being dumb would help the game, do we have a stealth game where AI is so good that makes the gameplay trial and error?

If they hadn't shown those E3 trailers where AI was so good, maybe i'd be okay with what we got in the final game, with that being said, it didn't ruin the experience as like almost all games are like that ....AI leaves a lot to be desired in many games imo.

Those are some good suggestions, let's wait and see how ND improves upon the first game

Maroxad

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#1239 Maroxad
  • Goes to a site that must not be named.
  • Sees a mareanie give away
  • The OP ran out of mareanies to give.
  • Take his place posting as a chikorita (Offering 4-5 max IV bold regenerator mareanies with all 4 egg moves)
  • People think I am the OP, praising the OP instead of me
  • End up getting some pretty nice things, like a Vulpix with Snow warning, an egg move and pokerus

That was an interesting experience, I should breed more.

mjorh

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#1240  Edited By mjorh

@Maroxad said:
@mjorh said:

*chuckles*

Yeah, that is preposterous indeed. If there is any game from this year that will still be remembered and played 5 years down the road. It is Overwatch. If there is any game that I felt truly made an impact, it is Overwatch.

Gaming stories never realy mattered much to me. In most cases, I feel a minimalistic story (Super Mario Bros) is better than the stories we do get in gaming. Because at least those stories dont waste your time. It is extremely rare for me to give a slightest **** about the story on in a video game. Lol at the shitters who told me that GTA4 had a good story and was well written. The dialogue came across as being written by 12 year olds and the gameplay/story segregration was unreal. The RPG genre in particular seems to suffer from this misguided focus on story. Which is one of the main reasons mainstream wRPGs are so shit.

The thing is, i feel like gamers usually don't watch great movies or read books, where the writing and narrative excels, so when you come up with a story, which if examined by cinema standard, is pretty mediocre, you can easily impress gamers ...

As for RPGs, i think that's where gaming can separate its self from cinema, i actually do care about story in RPGs because they have this power of making you in charge, hell even with a mediocre plot and story you can actually make a big impact thx to RPG elements

Maroxad

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#1241  Edited By Maroxad

@mjorh said:

The thing is, i feel like gamers usually don't watch great movies or read books, where the writing and narrative excels, so when you come up with a story, which if examined by cinema standard, is pretty mediocre, you can easily impress gamers ...

As for RPGs, i think that's where gaming can separate its self from cinema, i actually do care about story in RPGs because they have this power of making you in charge, hell even with a mediocre plot and story you can actually make a big impact thx to RPG elements

Yup, getting the player involved can make them grow more attached.

HOWEVER, I never felt like modern wRPGs, save for The Witcher actually let me have an impact on the storyline. Even in Mass Effect, most 3 dialogue options lead to the same response. And sometimes just a one liner to acknowledge your choice. Before the conversation goes the way the devs intended. The trick never really worked on me. And it just comes across more as fake than anything.

In the end, all I got was a subpar storyline that sometimes tried to pander to me, while giving me the illusion of choice. Combine that with the fact that it is a whac-a-mole style shooter, popping heads as soon as they show up. and you immediately got something that repulses me.

Lucianu

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 6

#1242 Lucianu
Member since 2007 • 10347 Posts

@Maroxad said:

Couldnt even force myself to beat that one. Killing enemies for a minor chance to recruit them is a really lame mechanic. Any game that does that makes me yearn to go back to demon recruitment or throwing pokeballs. And demon recruitment in SMT4 already pissed me off a lot. I liked it in Nocturne though. I didnt even mind the simulated dialogue in SMT1 and 2, but SMT4 took the worst aspects of both nocturne and the originals and made them mesh terribly.

But that wasnt the only problem I had with the game. Basically, nothing about the game ever surprised me. I never really hit a point in the game where I needed to adapt or change plans. Likewise, there was never any need to predict incoming enemy attacks. The Dragon Quest spells and abilities are as dull as they come. Equipment is nothing more than a hassle... except for weapons, because whips are great for just getting rid of trash encounters that you get every 5 steps.

Didnt help how forgettable the story was up until the point where I quit. Even the part where you were enslaved didnt grip me in the slightest.

They're not for you. What i wanted from these games is exactly what i got; a predictable progression (i could grind my way through any obstacle i encounter), simple plots that genuinely felt charming, they hold just the right amount of written content to hold my attention, they never feel cringy or badly written (like in the entire Final Fantasy series, i've honestly came to the conclusion that the stories in these games are extremely poorly written, i can't stand these games).. they're more akin to an old cartoon about adventures. And that's what i love about them. Their simplicity is a breath of fresh air.

The Dragon Quest series is the only one where i don't feel frustrated by random encounters. I hate random random encounters with a passion, that's actually the reason why i will never replay Xenogears despite how much i liked that mess of a story, but surprisingly i'm not bothered by them in Dragon Quest.

I specifically loved Dragon Quest V because of how in depth it goes to intertwine the series strength with the story, it's a huge story about progression. I don't know where you quit, but that specific part that didn't grip you is the beginning of your story, and the end of the intro that's all about your childhood that mainly revolves around your father. The plot is huge, even encompasses your children.

Maroxad

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#1243  Edited By Maroxad

@Lucianu said:
@Maroxad said:

Couldnt even force myself to beat that one. Killing enemies for a minor chance to recruit them is a really lame mechanic. Any game that does that makes me yearn to go back to demon recruitment or throwing pokeballs. And demon recruitment in SMT4 already pissed me off a lot. I liked it in Nocturne though. I didnt even mind the simulated dialogue in SMT1 and 2, but SMT4 took the worst aspects of both nocturne and the originals and made them mesh terribly.

But that wasnt the only problem I had with the game. Basically, nothing about the game ever surprised me. I never really hit a point in the game where I needed to adapt or change plans. Likewise, there was never any need to predict incoming enemy attacks. The Dragon Quest spells and abilities are as dull as they come. Equipment is nothing more than a hassle... except for weapons, because whips are great for just getting rid of trash encounters that you get every 5 steps.

Didnt help how forgettable the story was up until the point where I quit. Even the part where you were enslaved didnt grip me in the slightest.

They're not for you. What i wanted from these games is exactly what i got; a predictable progression (i could grind my way through any obstacle i encounter), simple plots that genuinely felt charming, they hold just the right amount of written content to hold my attention, they never feel cringy or badly written (like in the entire Final Fantasy series, i've honestly came to the conclusion that the stories in these games are extremely poorly written, i can't stand these games).. they're more akin to an old cartoon about adventures. And that's what i love about them. Their simplicity is a breath of fresh air.

The Dragon Quest series is the only one where i don't feel frustrated by random encounters. I hate random random encounters with a passion, that's actually the reason why i will never replay Xenogears despite how much i liked that mess of a story, but surprisingly i'm not bothered by them in Dragon Quest.

I specifically loved Dragon Quest V because of how in depth it goes to intertwine the series strength with the story, it's a huge story about progression. I don't know where you quit, but that specific part that didn't grip you is the beginning of your story, and the end of the intro that's all about your childhood that mainly revolves around your father. The plot is huge, even encompasses your children.

I quit sometime after I got married. Did a bit more after that before losing my remaining patience with the game. Easily the worst monster collecting RPG I have played since Persona 4.

mmmwksil

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#1244 mmmwksil
Member since 2003 • 16423 Posts

Pokemon Sun only gets worse the more I play. I genuinely hate every main character I come across in this game. Especially bad is Hau. I honestly want to strangle that kid every time he opens his idiot, chipper mouth.

Also, why the heck am I not allowed to skip or turn off Z move animations? I choose not to use them on account of those terribly cheesy dance animations. The slowdown during combat is also bad even on N3DS for battles with just 3 mons on the field.

"Best Pokemon game ever made".

@Lucianu said:

they're more akin to an old cartoon about adventures. And that's what i love about them. Their simplicity is a breath of fresh air.

Pretty much sums up my love for the series. That and nostalgia, since I've been playing the series for 25 years.

A-new-Guardian

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#1245 A-new-Guardian
Member since 2015 • 2458 Posts

Have I ever seen animation so lifelike in a video game? Yes the last Guardian is like watching my cat play around.

Avatar image for deactivated-5d78760d7d740
deactivated-5d78760d7d740

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#1246 deactivated-5d78760d7d740
Member since 2009 • 16386 Posts

@Maroxad said:
@mjorh said:

*chuckles*

The difference is in what you're looking for from the experience. I can't speak for all the fans of The Last of Us, but I don't rave about its gameplay because that's not what makes it special. You can make this argument about any game really. This doesn't mean that the gameplay is irrelevant or that it's bad, but it does mean that the hype regarding the other elements far outweighs it. If The Last of Us didn't have good gameplay, it would act as a disconnect between us (the gamers) and the characters we're supposed to bond with. Of course, that's not what happens, the gameplay does its job. I look forward to seeing how this change in perspective (Joel to Ellie as the mainly played character) effects gameplay, but that isn't why I play The Last of Us.

Regarding impact, that's much more difficult to judge. Overwatch will be played 5 years down the line because it was designed to do so, Blizzard will be consistently supporting it along the way. This doesn't necessarily mean that it'll have a big impact, though. It just means that the game has found its audience and is fun to play. Personally, I think that the new shooters (Battlefield 1, Call of Duty: Infinite Warfare, DOOM) have made an even bigger impact on FPS than Overwatch. This is because FPS were already multiplayer-centric to begin with, but this new support for quality campaigns might catch wind and influence further shooters to come. It sets a new standard, something that hopefully won't be dropped. I can't see that happening considering how much praise those games got for making this change.

Video game stories, on average, are leaps and bounds improved over what they used to be so this is a change I seriously welcome.

mjorh

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#1247 mjorh

@Maroxad said:
@mjorh said:

Yup, getting the player involved can make them grow more attached.

HOWEVER, I never felt like modern wRPGs, save for The Witcher actually let me have an impact on the storyline. Even in Mass Effect, most 3 dialogue options lead to the same response. And sometimes just a one liner to acknowledge your choice. Before the conversation goes the way the devs intended. The trick never really worked on me. And it just comes across more as fake than anything.

In the end, all I got was a subpar storyline that sometimes tried to pander to me, while giving me the illusion of choice. Combine that with the fact that it is a whac-a-mole style shooter, popping heads as soon as they show up. and you immediately got something that repulses me.

Well, you're right about the trick, it's the illusion of choice ...but i still welcome it, it's better than no choice ...and i can suspend my disbelief but i can understand why it doesn't satisfy you

Maroxad

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#1248  Edited By Maroxad

@XVision84 said:
@Maroxad said:
@mjorh said:

*chuckles*

The difference is in what you're looking for from the experience. I can't speak for all the fans of The Last of Us, but I don't rave about its gameplay because that's not what makes it special. You can make this argument about any game really. This doesn't mean that the gameplay is irrelevant or that it's bad, but it does mean that the hype regarding the other elements far outweighs it. If The Last of Us didn't have good gameplay, it would act as a disconnect between us (the gamers) and the characters we're supposed to bond with. Of course, that's not what happens, the gameplay does its job. I look forward to seeing how this change in perspective (Joel to Ellie as the mainly played character) effects gameplay, but that isn't why I play The Last of Us.

Regarding impact, that's much more difficult to judge. Overwatch will be played 5 years down the line because it was designed to do so, Blizzard will be consistently supporting it along the way. This doesn't necessarily mean that it'll have a big impact, though. It just means that the game has found its audience and is fun to play. Personally, I think that the new shooters (Battlefield 1, Call of Duty: Infinite Warfare, DOOM) have made an even bigger impact on FPS than Overwatch. This is because FPS were already multiplayer-centric to begin with, but this new support for quality campaigns might catch wind and influence further shooters to come. It sets a new standard, something that hopefully won't be dropped. I can't see that happening considering how much praise those games got for making this change.

Video game stories, on average, are leaps and bounds improved over what they used to be so this is a change I seriously welcome.

It is difficult to tell early on. But Based on what we have seen from gaming culture and community. Overwatch made a significantly bigger impact than the others. Likewise, the game has supposedly already inspired quite a few knock offs.

That is a lot more than I can say about the other games you listed. None of them made a particulary big impact on the gaming community. Overwatch did.

Video game stories are not much better at all. Hell, most of the truly "great" stories found in video games were from the 90s. The adventure genre in particular. And even then, despite these improvements in the writing in other genres... they are still so badly written I would argue they are worse than nothing.

jg4xchamp

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#1249 jg4xchamp

Quality campaigns existed well before these games, where as the new hot trend for FPS multiplayer is being some version of a class based game. A proper class based game. To be fair Rainbow Six Siege beat Overwatch to the punch last year.

@XVision84 said:

And that isn't even really true. It's just taking itself more seriously, and the acting is a little bit better. But on balance, it's still pretty bad.

Avatar image for deactivated-5d78760d7d740
deactivated-5d78760d7d740

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#1250 deactivated-5d78760d7d740
Member since 2009 • 16386 Posts

@jg4xchamp@Maroxad: I'd agree that the multiplayer has shifted towards class-based games and Overwatch had a hand in that, but this was already a trend before Overwatch. TF2 had it, Battleborn was doing something similar (got overshadowed by overwatch though). Overwatch took MOBA elements and blended them into the fps genre in a way that worked really well, but that doesn't have a place in a lot of FPSs. Look at Titanfall 2, for example.

Honestly, I just have to disagree with story telling. The Witcher 3 had much higher writing quality on the whole (factoring in all the questlines) than other comparable RPGs of its size. These new shooters have much higher quality campaigns than any of the previous Battlefields or CoDs (except maybe CoD4). The Last of Us definitely exemplified how far a personal story can go, and there are already obvious influences such as the new God of War coming out. Has there been as good visual storytelling in the 90s than today? Journey, Limbo, Inside, etc. Mass Effect is another example, it's a very ambitious story and they've learned from the Mass Effect 3 ending.

The indie gaming scene is huge today and it's opened the way for other great stories like To The Moon or Undertale. I'm not saying that there are no good stories from back then, I think that the medium has done a great job in improving how they tell stories and what stories are told. Heck, you've even got the supposed movie-games like Heavy Rain or Detroid: Become Human.