Iwata: 3DS and Wii U Will Focus on Core Gamers

This topic is locked from further discussion.

Eponique

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 6

User Lists: 0

#201 Eponique
Member since 2007 • 17918 Posts

ditto for the Wii casual style of gaming. thats why Nintendo will go for core Nintendo gamers,( hardcore). Its as if some sheep would rather them try to appeal to other core fans and not them ... I dunno im getting mixed signals from sheep.rasengan2552

I can't speak for other Nintendo fans, but I don't want them to target solely Nintendo fans. N64 and Gamecube were awesome, but after what I've seen what Nintendo can do with the DS and 3DS, I am going to disappointed if the only thing the Wii U can do is play a Nintendo game once every 3 months.

They need better third party support and a more diverse library. To get the third party support, they are obviously going to have to attract gamers that buy more than just Nintendo games in their userbase. They should take the same approach as the 3DS: less first party games, more moneyhatting huge third party games.

Avatar image for Bread_or_Decide
Bread_or_Decide

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

#202 Bread_or_Decide
Member since 2007 • 29761 Posts

[QUOTE="Bread_or_Decide"]The N64 was the beginning of the end for them and it was when for the first time they did EVERYTHING wrong. nintendoboy16

Multiplayer gaming surely wasn't done wrong on N64. Especially since gamers gathered around to play the likes of Goldeneye, Perfect Dark, Mario Kart 64, Super Smash Bros, Episode I Racer, etc, and having those four controller outputs really helped (the only way you could have four players on PS was a multi-tap and even then, it wasn't used that much, not to mention, Sony didn't learn a thing from that with PS2). What were the biggest multiplayer games on PlayStation? Tekken? Fighting games seem to be the only big multiplayer games on that, while N64 had... well, everything else in terms of multiplayer.

The list of N64 faults is huge. 1. Cartrdiges which lost them Final Fantasy VII and third party support. 2. The controller looked like it was made for little kids. 3. Time between first party games was way way way too long. Quality over quantity my butt. 4. The Fun machine tag line...okay Nintendo...how about releasing games without taking eight months to a year! 5. Despite a few genre defining games the controller sucked for a lot of traditional games. 6. Graphics over gameplay...ah yes Nintendo made that mistake. The innovation of rumble and multiplayer is pointless...Sony and Microsoft took those ideas and bested them with dual shock and online multiplayer. Being first doesn't mean a thing when you don't do it best.
nintendoboy16

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 43

User Lists: 14

#203 nintendoboy16
Member since 2007 • 41533 Posts

The innovation of rumble and multiplayer is pointless...Sony and Microsoft took those ideas and bested them with dual shock and online multiplayer. Bread_or_Decide
What?:?

When Nintendo does multiplayer, it's pointless, even if they innovate it, but when Sony and MS do it later, it's not? How the f*** does that make ANY sense? And how is innovation of multiplayer pointless when there are quite a few N64 games that used it's full potential and it started the trends (other systems before may have had four player right out of the box, but it didn't get big until after N64) in gaming?

It makes no SENSE.

rasengan2552

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

#204 rasengan2552
Member since 2009 • 5071 Posts

[QUOTE="rasengan2552"]ditto for the Wii casual style of gaming. thats why Nintendo will go for core Nintendo gamers,( hardcore). Its as if some sheep would rather them try to appeal to other core fans and not them ... I dunno im getting mixed signals from sheep.Eponique

I can't speak for other Nintendo fans, but I don't want them to target solely Nintendo fans. N64 and Gamecube were awesome, but after what I've seen what Nintendo can do with the DS and 3DS, I am going to disappointed if the only thing the Wii U can do is play a Nintendo game once every 3 months.

They need better third party support and a more diverse library. To get the third party support, they are obviously going to have to attract gamers that buy more than just Nintendo games in their userbase. They should take the same approach as the 3DS: less first party games, more moneyhatting huge third party games.

I would agree with you ... but the main point I was trying to make is that Nintendo even if Nintendo somehow manages to get the same type of support as MS or Sony, there is a good chance that the WiiU versions will be slight;y inferior to the PS4/720 ... what reason would Sony and MS core gamers have to become WiiU core gamers ? the advantage of the tablet controller ? no lol. Nintendo's biggest advantage is its unrivaled 1st party, thats the one thing Sony and MS can't outdue. Nintendo will never have better 3rd party than the others though, going that route is a waste of time. IMHO, we can just agree to disagree ;)
Mario1331

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

#205 Mario1331
Member since 2005 • 8929 Posts

[QUOTE="Mario1331"]

[QUOTE="nameless12345"]

Last Nintendo console that focused on "core" gamers was the GameCube. It was their worst-selling console and was loosing 3rd party support and even had ceased production for a brief period of time. I don't think Nintendo should try to appeal to the demographic that view them as "kiddy". They should simply continue making good games that everyone can enjoy imo.

NaveedLife

i second this they really shouldnt care what the core(SW) thinks

Yeah lets all just hope Nintendo makes WiiUparty/play/fit/sports/resort/catch/throw/run/find/jump/dancearoundinacircle for the WiiU rather than focus on making a few of those (to keep casuals entertained) and make tons of high quality first party CORE games, like Zelda, Metroid, Mario, new IP's, Paper Mario, Monolith games, and such. The Wii had a very casual centric focus. It is fine to appeal to them with some games, but when it feels like they abandon the core gamer, it sucks. I feel the Wii dropped the ball, though had some good games.

Bottom line is, Nintendo is going to continue their casual appeal, but try and lessen it a bit and provide gamers with more high quality gamse that they have come to expect.

i agree but i dont think they should just abandon everything for the core

BadNewsBen

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

#206 BadNewsBen
Member since 2009 • 1493 Posts
I fully plan on buying the Wii U right away as long as there is something upon its release that I could see myself playing. A Mario, Zelda, Pokemon, etc. will do the trick.
Mario1331

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#207 Mario1331

I disagree with the assertion that the core market hates Nintendo or ignores them. Again, I point to the astounding success (at least in the US) of the N64 to make my point- incredible software attachment rates, high hardware sales, and a pure focus on the hardcore market. The N64 is proof that Nintendo can appeal to that demographic. The question is not if. The question is why. And here's the simple reason: because the Wii was not sustainable. Four years of astronomical sales, followed the worst decline in console sales history as the entire crowd migrated to iOS and Kinect gaming? Low third party software sales (which matters to Nintendo a lot, since a major portion of their revenue comes from software licensing) leading to a loss of confidence in Nintendo consoles? Loss of confidence from the core consumer, the consumer that actually buys hardware and software on a sustained basis? Nintendo's poorest lineup ever from a first party perspective (this is not just a widely held belief by forum dwellers; industry standards like Metacritic will all tell you the same thing: from a first party perspective, the Wii was Nintendo's worst system ever)? They need to return to the glory days of the N64. They had a lineup that was staggering back then, a console that truly appealed to the core, they had that market by the balls. The Wii is not sustainable. I hope we see a return to the N64 era with the Wii U.charizard1605

i dont think this was there worst first party offering at all SMG alone beats everything they released last generation, also sale wise they all went beast mode

Mario1331

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#208 Mario1331

[QUOTE="Eponique"]

[QUOTE="rasengan2552"]

like I stated earlier, they need to forget about trying to appeal to ALL core gamers and just worry about Nintendo core gamers for now.

I say this because we all know that Nintendo's 3rd party will never be as supported as Sony's or MS, or even PC. What Nintendo does have 100% control over is their core games, if they can crank out more titles like F-Zero, Starfox, Pikmin, Custom Robo etc. and less titles like WiiSports, Resort, Carnival, Fit etc. then THAT will help them prove that they are catering to the core gamers.

Again, it doesn't neccessarily have to get all the big 3rd party games, just the really important ones like GTA 5, Black Ops 2, Fallout, Elder Scrolls etc. and then have a really strong lineup of 1st party like Sony and not just 3-4 core games.

rasengan2552

I think going solely after Nintendo core fans is pretty pointless considering most were already satisfied with DS/Wii/3DS and even then Nintendo was barely trying. The Wii is the only controversial one but even then most Nintendo fans were satisfied with it.

Ether you're neglecting the fact A LOT of Nintendo fans jumped ship this gen or you're unaware of it. if you're unaware you'd be surprised to find out how many people in SW or gamers in general, were Nintendo supporters last gen. The Wii took a DEADLY BLOW to its core base whether you wanna believe it or not.

how can many core fans jump ship from a 20 million userbase? they already jumped ship last gen. Main point if you dont like what nintendo is doing dont support them they are the most successful game company out right now if they have to do a complete 360 for a bunch of babies that are not satisfied with anything then yea they should say F*** em

Mario1331

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#209 Mario1331

[QUOTE="Eponique"]

[QUOTE="rasengan2552"]Ether you're neglecting the fact A LOT of Nintendo fans jumped ship this gen or you're unaware of it. if you're unaware you'd be surprised to find out how many people in SW or gamers in general, were Nintendo supporters last gen. The Wii took a DEADLY BLOW to its core base whether you wanna believe it or not.rasengan2552

How many is "many"? I doubt Wii lost more fans than the Gamecube. These "ex-Nintendo fans" come up every gen and every gen there's a new reason as to why they're not Nintendo fans anymore. Thankfully, there are always newer Nintendo fans to fill in their place.

Yeah they gained a lot more "fans" than expected this gen ... too bad there's a good chance they might end up Kinect fans next gen. Nintendo sees it coming, and they're righting the ship.

your acting like people cant buy more then one system....thats a fanboy mindset

Bread_or_Decide

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#210 Bread_or_Decide

[QUOTE="Bread_or_Decide"]The innovation of rumble and multiplayer is pointless...Sony and Microsoft took those ideas and bested them with dual shock and online multiplayer. nintendoboy16

When Nintendo does multiplayer, it's pointless, even if they innovate it, but when Sony and MS do it later, it's not? How the f*** does that make ANY sense? And how is innovation of multiplayer pointless when there are quite a few N64 games that used it's full potential and it started the trends (other systems before may have had four player right out of the box, but it didn't get big until after N64) in gaming?

It makes no SENSE.

Makes plenty of sense. Do people remember the company that created the calculator or Texas Instruments the company that perfected the calculator? N64 had a small hand full of great games and I remember being very upset with the number of games available for my fun machine. Then I finally got a playstation and joined the rest of the world in playing lots of games all the time.
rasengan2552

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#211 rasengan2552
Member since 2009 • 5071 Posts

[QUOTE="rasengan2552"][QUOTE="Eponique"]

How many is "many"? I doubt Wii lost more fans than the Gamecube. These "ex-Nintendo fans" come up every gen and every gen there's a new reason as to why they're not Nintendo fans anymore. Thankfully, there are always newer Nintendo fans to fill in their place.

Mario1331

Yeah they gained a lot more "fans" than expected this gen ... too bad there's a good chance they might end up Kinect fans next gen. Nintendo sees it coming, and they're righting the ship.

no, you completely missed the point. by putting "fans" in quotation I am alluding to the fact that they are casual gamers who flock to whatevers popular. You think in a black and white type of way, too much SW for you. -_-
NaveedLife

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#212 NaveedLife
Member since 2010 • 17179 Posts

[QUOTE="charizard1605"]I disagree with the assertion that the core market hates Nintendo or ignores them. Again, I point to the astounding success (at least in the US) of the N64 to make my point- incredible software attachment rates, high hardware sales, and a pure focus on the hardcore market. The N64 is proof that Nintendo can appeal to that demographic. The question is not if. The question is why. And here's the simple reason: because the Wii was not sustainable. Four years of astronomical sales, followed the worst decline in console sales history as the entire crowd migrated to iOS and Kinect gaming? Low third party software sales (which matters to Nintendo a lot, since a major portion of their revenue comes from software licensing) leading to a loss of confidence in Nintendo consoles? Loss of confidence from the core consumer, the consumer that actually buys hardware and software on a sustained basis? Nintendo's poorest lineup ever from a first party perspective (this is not just a widely held belief by forum dwellers; industry standards like Metacritic will all tell you the same thing: from a first party perspective, the Wii was Nintendo's worst system ever)? They need to return to the glory days of the N64. They had a lineup that was staggering back then, a console that truly appealed to the core, they had that market by the balls. The Wii is not sustainable. I hope we see a return to the N64 era with the Wii U.Mario1331

i dont think this was there worst first party offering at all SMG alone beats everything they released last generation, also sale wise they all went beast mode

WW > SS

MP1/MP2 > MP3/OtherM

MK:DD > MKWii

PM:TTYD > SPM

I agree with char on this one.

Mario1331

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#213 Mario1331

[QUOTE="Mario1331"]

[QUOTE="rasengan2552"]Yeah they gained a lot more "fans" than expected this gen ... too bad there's a good chance they might end up Kinect fans next gen. Nintendo sees it coming, and they're righting the ship.rasengan2552

no, you completely missed the point. by putting "fans" in quotation I am alluding to the fact that they are casual gamers who flock to whatevers popular. You think in a black and white type of way, too much SW for you. -_-

idk about the black and white type of way im jus stating what i believe people will do. they will flock to something new but when they realize( like a lot of my customers did) when theres no mario or pokemon except on nintendo platforms then they go right back and buy all the casual junk all over again

nintendoboy16

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#214 nintendoboy16

[QUOTE="nintendoboy16"]

[QUOTE="Bread_or_Decide"]The innovation of rumble and multiplayer is pointless...Sony and Microsoft took those ideas and bested them with dual shock and online multiplayer. Bread_or_Decide

It makes no SENSE.

Makes plenty of sense. Do people remember the company that created the calculator or Texas Instruments the company that perfected the calculator? N64 had a small hand full of great games and I remember being very upset with the number of games available for my fun machine. Then I finally got a playstation and joined the rest of the world in playing lots of games all the time.

Too bad N64 was remembered more for it's multiplayer UNLIKE the PlayStation, so your post still makes no sense.

Besides, what multiplayer games on the PlayStation with it's bigger library were the big go to games of that gen? Last I remember, N64 had Goldeneye, Mario Kart, Perfect Dark, and Super Smash Bros. PlayStation had like, well mainly fighting games (mainly Tekken) that were the biggest in popularity.

daveg1

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 9

#215 daveg1
Member since 2005 • 20405 Posts
more rehash of the same old crap over and over then...thanks nintendo
Bread_or_Decide

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#216 Bread_or_Decide

[QUOTE="Bread_or_Decide"][QUOTE="nintendoboy16"]What?:?

It makes no SENSE.

nintendoboy16

Too bad N64 was remembered more for it's multiplayer UNLIKE the PlayStation, so your post still makes no sense.

Besides, what multiplayer games on the PlayStation with it's bigger library were the big go to games of that gen? Last I remember, N64 had Goldeneye, Mario Kart, Perfect Dark, and Super Smash Bros. PlayStation had like, well mainly fighting games (mainly Tekken) that were the biggest in popularity.

Well the N64 was a little ahead of it's time on that trend. And even still they screwed the pooch with online for the Wii. Either way...no one cared...except for nintendo fanboys....the rest of us were playing fighting games like you said.

Also I never said Sony perfected multiplayer. Xbox Live brought it home to consoles in proper fashion and they perfected it with the 360.

nintendoboy16

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#217 nintendoboy16

[QUOTE="nintendoboy16"]

[QUOTE="Bread_or_Decide"] Makes plenty of sense. Do people remember the company that created the calculator or Texas Instruments the company that perfected the calculator? N64 had a small hand full of great games and I remember being very upset with the number of games available for my fun machine. Then I finally got a playstation and joined the rest of the world in playing lots of games all the time. Bread_or_Decide

Well the N64 was a little ahead of it's time on that trend. And even still they screwed the pooch with online for the Wii. Either way...no one cared...except for nintendo fanboys....the rest of us were playing fighting games like you said.

:lol: Did I read that right? Nobody cared for N64's multiplayer? How come too many people remember Goldeneye, Perfect Dark, and Mario Kart 64? That's a sign of no one caring? :lol:

p4s2p0

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#218 p4s2p0
Member since 2010 • 4167 Posts

[QUOTE="Bread_or_Decide"]

[QUOTE="nintendoboy16"] Too bad N64 was remembered more for it's multiplayer UNLIKE the PlayStation, so your post still makes no sense.

nintendoboy16

:lol: Did I read that right? Nobody cared for N64's multiplayer? How come too many people remember Goldeneye, Perfect Dark, and Mario Kart 64? That's a sign of no one caring? :lol:

No doubt I played goldeneye and mission impossible on n64 just as much as I did ps1 games.
dercoo

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#219 dercoo
Member since 2006 • 12555 Posts

So, more casual ***** am r confirmed?

I kid, but seriously Nintendo said this after multiple E3's for the Wii and look how it turned out

Will it be the same, don't know. But they have lied before. In short we will wait and see

Mario1331

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#220 Mario1331

[QUOTE="Mario1331"]

[QUOTE="charizard1605"]I disagree with the assertion that the core market hates Nintendo or ignores them. Again, I point to the astounding success (at least in the US) of the N64 to make my point- incredible software attachment rates, high hardware sales, and a pure focus on the hardcore market. The N64 is proof that Nintendo can appeal to that demographic. The question is not if. The question is why. And here's the simple reason: because the Wii was not sustainable. Four years of astronomical sales, followed the worst decline in console sales history as the entire crowd migrated to iOS and Kinect gaming? Low third party software sales (which matters to Nintendo a lot, since a major portion of their revenue comes from software licensing) leading to a loss of confidence in Nintendo consoles? Loss of confidence from the core consumer, the consumer that actually buys hardware and software on a sustained basis? Nintendo's poorest lineup ever from a first party perspective (this is not just a widely held belief by forum dwellers; industry standards like Metacritic will all tell you the same thing: from a first party perspective, the Wii was Nintendo's worst system ever)? They need to return to the glory days of the N64. They had a lineup that was staggering back then, a console that truly appealed to the core, they had that market by the balls. The Wii is not sustainable. I hope we see a return to the N64 era with the Wii U.NaveedLife

WW > SS

MP1/MP2 > MP3/OtherM

i like them better no doubt but to say they been lacking is a personal opinion because there reviews this gen was higher then there reviews last gen with majority of them selling more. thats not hard though because the wii sold 4 times as much as the gamecube

Bread_or_Decide

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#221 Bread_or_Decide

[QUOTE="Bread_or_Decide"]

[QUOTE="nintendoboy16"] Too bad N64 was remembered more for it's multiplayer UNLIKE the PlayStation, so your post still makes no sense.

nintendoboy16

Nostalgic crazed fanboys....leave the internet sometimes.
Eponique

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 6

#222 Eponique
Member since 2007 • 17918 Posts

Nostalgic crazed fanboys....leave the internet sometimes. Bread_or_Decide

NaveedLife

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#223 NaveedLife

[QUOTE="NaveedLife"]

[QUOTE="Mario1331"]

Mario1331

WW > SS

MP1/MP2 > MP3/OtherM

i like them better no doubt but to say they been lacking is a personal opinion because there reviews this gen was higher then there reviews last gen with majority of them selling more. thats not hard though because the wii sold 4 times as much as the gamecube

I don't think any of those gamse I listed scored higher than the gamecube ones listed.

Shinobishyguy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#224 Shinobishyguy
Member since 2006 • 22928 Posts

[QUOTE="Mario1331"]

[QUOTE="NaveedLife"]

WW > SS

MP1/MP2 > MP3/OtherM

NaveedLife

I don't think any of those gamse I listed scored higher than the gamecube ones listed.

Mario kart wii outscored double dash

and even then you're just comparing zelda, metroid, and mario spinoffs.

What about all the other games klike Sin and punishment, xenoblade etc?

Suddenly they're not up to "nintendo standards" becasue they don't meet some arbitrary scoring requirement?

StealthMonkey4

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#225 StealthMonkey4
Member since 2009 • 7434 Posts

Didn't they say the same thing about the Wii..? Nintendo hasn't made a good system for core gamers since the N64 (maybe the gamecube), and never will make another system for core gamers.

Mario1331

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#226 Mario1331

[QUOTE="Mario1331"]

[QUOTE="NaveedLife"]

WW > SS

MP1/MP2 > MP3/OtherM

NaveedLife

mk wii did and galaxy did so were even, they still sold more also

cant really compare paper mario because it wasnt a legit rpg like the previous 2

nameless12345

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#227 nameless12345
Member since 2010 • 15125 Posts

[QUOTE="nintendoboy16"]

[QUOTE="Bread_or_Decide"]The N64 was the beginning of the end for them and it was when for the first time they did EVERYTHING wrong. Bread_or_Decide

Multiplayer gaming surely wasn't done wrong on N64. Especially since gamers gathered around to play the likes of Goldeneye, Perfect Dark, Mario Kart 64, Super Smash Bros, Episode I Racer, etc, and having those four controller outputs really helped (the only way you could have four players on PS was a multi-tap and even then, it wasn't used that much, not to mention, Sony didn't learn a thing from that with PS2). What were the biggest multiplayer games on PlayStation? Tekken? Fighting games seem to be the only big multiplayer games on that, while N64 had... well, everything else in terms of multiplayer.

The list of N64 faults is huge. 1. Cartrdiges which lost them Final Fantasy VII and third party support. 2. The controller looked like it was made for little kids. 3. Time between first party games was way way way too long. Quality over quantity my butt. 4. The Fun machine tag line...okay Nintendo...how about releasing games without taking eight months to a year! 5. Despite a few genre defining games the controller sucked for a lot of traditional games. 6. Graphics over gameplay...ah yes Nintendo made that mistake. The innovation of rumble and multiplayer is pointless...Sony and Microsoft took those ideas and bested them with dual shock and online multiplayer. Being first doesn't mean a thing when you don't do it best.

It was a pretty big and complex-looking controller for little kids. Infact even some older gamers have problems figuring out how to hold it.

I don't see how they sacrificed gameplay for graphics either. And the first online-capable console was the Dreamcast, not Xbox or PS2.

NaveedLife

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#228 NaveedLife

[QUOTE="NaveedLife"]

[QUOTE="Mario1331"]

Shinobishyguy

Suddenly they're not up to "nintendo standards" becasue they don't meet some arbitrary scoring requirement?

I couldn't care less about the score. Baten Kaitos and Baten Kaitos Origins ranked lower than Xenoblade by quite a bit, yet I think I will like those better than Xenoblad (I like Xenoblade so far, but a few things are really getting under my skin). I brought up the scores because he did.

And when it comes to Nintendo games, Zelda and Metroid are two of the biggest ones. If they dissapoint its quite a letdown. I just don't care about Sin and Punishment, Punchout and some others. They feel like glorified mini games. I want big epic adventures and such. It's what I have always enjoyed. I never got into Tetris, but I loved A Link To The Past.

Shinobishyguy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#229 Shinobishyguy

[QUOTE="Shinobishyguy"]

[QUOTE="NaveedLife"]

NaveedLife

I couldn't care less about the score. Baten Kaitos and Baten Kaitos Origins ranked lower than Xenoblade by quite a bit, yet I think I will like those better than Xenoblad (I like Xenoblade so far, but a few things are really getting under my skin). I brought up the scores because he did.

And when it comes to Nintendo games, Zelda and Metroid are two of the biggest ones. If they dissapoint its quite a letdown. I just don't care about Sin and Punishment, Punchout and some others. They feel like glorified mini games. I want big epic adventures and such. It's what I have always enjoyed. I never got into Tetris, but I loved A Link To The Past.

Alright, so this is less "not up to nintendo standards" and more "I just don't like it because it's not in my genre"

Mario1331

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#230 Mario1331

[QUOTE="Shinobishyguy"]

[QUOTE="NaveedLife"]

NaveedLife

that was my oringial arguement though.....nintendo wasnt lacking in terms of scor and sales which i prove they werent. i do like the GC iterations better then most wii iterations though

NaveedLife

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#231 NaveedLife

[QUOTE="NaveedLife"]

[QUOTE="Shinobishyguy"] Mario kart wii outscored double dash

Shinobishyguy

Alright, so this is less "not up to nintendo standards" and more like "I just don't like it because it's not a big openworld adventure"

lol sure if you wanna chalk it up to that. But when not just the miscellaneous games are lilke that, but the Metroids and Zelda's are affected to, that is not ok ;).

You can say what you will, I PERSONALLY was very dissapointed. Zelda never thrived on linearity and quite so much hand holding. Metroid never lacked the exploration it did in Othe M. The Prime series never went action oriented and almost ditched exploration and puzzles.

You can go ahead and say the Wii library is just as good as Gamecubes, N64's and SNES's. I completely disagree with that. Nintendo's CORE franchises have always been Zelda, Mario, and Metroid. They let me down on Zelda and Metroid. Zelda being my favorite series ever made.

Shinobishyguy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#232 Shinobishyguy

[QUOTE="Shinobishyguy"]

[QUOTE="NaveedLife"]

NaveedLife

Alright, so this is less "not up to nintendo standards" and more like "I just don't like it because it's not a big openworld adventure"

lol sure if you wanna chalk it up to that. But when not just the miscellaneous games are lilke that, but the Metroids and Zelda's are affected to, that is not ok ;).

You can say what you will, I PERSONALLY was very dissapointed. Zelda never thrived on linearity and quite so much hand holding. Metroid never lacked the exploration it did in Othe M. The Prime series never went action oriented and almost ditched exploration and puzzles.

You can go ahead and say the Wii library is just as good as Gamecubes, N64's and SNES's. I completely disagree with that. Nintendo's CORE franchises have always been Zelda, Mario, and Metroid. They let me down on Zelda and Metroid. Zelda being my favorite series ever made.

so that suddenly means that every other good game suddenly doesn't matter now? Really?

I mean I kinda think they dropped the ball on the wii overall too but that was more due to the lack of third party support and nintendo cutting support for it together.

Had they actually focused on it while bring out the 3ds it's library would've easily matched the GC's

NaveedLife

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#233 NaveedLife

[QUOTE="NaveedLife"]

[QUOTE="Shinobishyguy"]Alright, so this is less "not up to nintendo standards" and more like "I just don't like it because it's not a big openworld adventure"

Shinobishyguy

so that suddenly means that every other good game suddenly doesn't matter now? Really?

You list me all the good Wii games and I will list a better Gamecube/N64/SNES list. I never came across in this argument as if the Wii's library is 100% factually worse and no one can like it more. I have always said I (ME! :P) do not like it as much. I never buy a Nintendo console going, "oh man I hope they show off punchout!" or "SWEET! We only get ONE Zelda this gen!" or "Oh yeah, they changed one of my favorite RPG series into a non-RPG!" or "Oh yes! I always wanted Metroid to be more linear and action oriented!"

Good games. No doubt about that. Some are awesome! Galaxy 2 is a 9.5 in my mind. Amazing game! So it is not like I don't like any games on the Wii. Why do you think I bought one again after selling my first on on ebay (which I bought at launch on ebay for 380)?

EDIT: I will say that I think the WiiU has a much better position to bring us great games. The controller actually has many practical uses. The Wii remote has uses no doubt, but it got shoehorned into a lot of games making them worse. Not just that, but HD is really necessary :P. Ok not necessary, but my gosh I just cannot stand all the jaggies in some games :P. I love lighting, textures and more, but HD is all that is VERY needed. WiiU is setup to please :).

meetroid8

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#234 meetroid8
Member since 2005 • 21152 Posts
He can talk all he wants, let's see if he can back it up with games.
AmayaPapaya

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 18

#235 AmayaPapaya
Member since 2008 • 9029 Posts

I don't even know what that means. Just give me good games!

Shinobishyguy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#236 Shinobishyguy

[QUOTE="Shinobishyguy"][QUOTE="NaveedLife"]

NaveedLife

You list me all the good Wii games and I will list a better Gamecube/N64/SNES list. I never came across in this argument as if the Wii's library is 100% factually worse and no one can like it more. I have always said I (ME! :P) do not like it as much. I never buy a Nintendo console going, "oh man I hope they show off punchout!" or "SWEET! We only get ONE Zelda this gen!" or "Oh yeah, they changed one of my favorite RPG series into a non-RPG!" or "Oh yes! I always wanted Metroid to be more linear and action oriented!"

Good games. No doubt about that. Some are awesome! Galaxy 2 is a 9.5 in my mind. Amazing game! So it is not like I don't like any games on the Wii. Why do you think I bought one again after selling my first on on ebay (which I bought at launch on ebay for 380)?

I'm just saying just because certain games aren't in your genre of choice don't mean that they aren't up to nintendo's standard of quality.

Nintendo has always made arcade type games that are great to play in short bursts. Some of those types of games are among nintendo's best classics.

and btw: SPM started off as a GC game acting like the wii ruined it is kinda silly

NaveedLife

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#237 NaveedLife

[QUOTE="NaveedLife"]

[QUOTE="Shinobishyguy"]so that suddenly means that every other good game suddenly doesn't matter now? Really?Shinobishyguy

I'm just saying just because certain games aren't in your genre of choice don't mean that they aren't up to nintendo's standard of quality. and btw: Bowser's inside story brought back the rpg elements so you complaining andout SPM is kinda moot at this point

Handheld =/= console

M&L =/= Paper Mario

Paper Mario is SOOOO much better ;).

Again, it is my personal opinion on these games. Zelda is my favorite series. seeing only ONE and it being worse (IMO and even in critics opinions) is a letdown. I won't go on with all of it again. I don't see how you can deny what i am saying. I am never saying the games are trash. I am not saying my opinions are fact. I am simply saying I was letdown this gen by the Wii. and honestly, one part of it has to do with motion controls and HD. HD to a lesser extent, but at times motion controls really hindered experiences (more often then helped). BUT they did help with Metroid Primes. Those are awesome controls!

EDIT: I am not saying the Wii ruined Paper Mario. I am simply saying the Wii has the ruined game ;). It doesn't matter what it is on. It just so happened to be this gen.

Shinobishyguy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#238 Shinobishyguy

[QUOTE="Shinobishyguy"][QUOTE="NaveedLife"]

NaveedLife

I'm just saying just because certain games aren't in your genre of choice don't mean that they aren't up to nintendo's standard of quality. and btw: Bowser's inside story brought back the rpg elements so you complaining andout SPM is kinda moot at this point

Handheld =/= console

M&L =/= Paper Mario

Again, it is my personal opinion on these games. Zelda is my favorite series. seeing only ONE and it being worse (IMO and even in critics opinions) is a letdown. I won't go on with all of it again. I don't see how you can deny what i am saying. I am never saying the games are trash. I am not saying my opinions are fact. I am simply saying I was letdown this gen by the Wii. and honestly, one part of it has to do with motion controls and HD. HD to a lesser extent, but at times motion controls really hindered experiences (more often then helped). BUT they did help with Metroid Primes. Those are awesome controls!

it just seems like you're taking your disappointment with zelda and metroid and are suddenly making it seem like all of their other franchises don't count. What about Kirby, or DK? When was the last time before we saw proper console iterations of those francises before the wii? Now I'm not saying that the wii's library is better than the GC, but for the most part the quality of their first party was still there
NaveedLife

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#239 NaveedLife

[QUOTE="NaveedLife"]

[QUOTE="Shinobishyguy"]I'm just saying just because certain games aren't in your genre of choice don't mean that they aren't up to nintendo's standard of quality. and btw: Bowser's inside story brought back the rpg elements so you complaining andout SPM is kinda moot at this pointShinobishyguy

Handheld =/= console

M&L =/= Paper Mario

it just seems like you're taking your disappointment with zelda and metroid and are suddenly making it seem like all of their other franchises don't count. What about Kirby, or DK? When was the last time before we saw proper console iterations of those francises before the wii? Now I'm not saying that the wii's library is better than the GC, but for the most part the quality of their first party was still there

Again, I buy Wii systems for those series first and foremost. Its like going to a concert for the last two bands, having them be good, but not as good as usual, but there were a lot of little bands before them that were pretty good ina ddition. That is wonderful and all, but they are not the main attraction :P.

And I will reiterate that some people may like Kirby and other games more than Zelda and Metroid. I personally have not enjoyed a Kirby game since the Super Nintendo one. 64's was WAY too easy and boring. I feel Kirby is often that way. Just never been my thing. In terms of 2D platformers I say DKC > Mario >>> Kirby. While DKCR is a great game (and I have actually not opeend NSMBWii yet :P) I don't think its quite as good as DKC2 and 3. Definitely a great game though.

I guess I just feel like it was a big 8.5 gen for Nintendo. Great games all around...wonderful and all. But not much outside of Galaxy 2 (I need to beat Xenoblade) that blew my mind. I feel WW, MP, MP2, Baten Kaitos, Baten Kaitos Origins, F-Zero GX, and many more were all amazing and even mind blowing (some of them) games.

I prefer quality over quantity.

LastRambo341

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#240 LastRambo341
Member since 2010 • 8767 Posts

Didn't they say the same thing about the Wii..? Nintendo hasn't made a good system for core gamers since the N64 (maybe the gamecube), and never will make another system for core gamers.

StealthMonkey4
So did Sony and MS
Zensword

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#241 Zensword
Member since 2007 • 4510 Posts
Iwata is damn right. I did consider to buy a Wii, 3DS but the games I see are Mario and Zelda.
tomarlyn

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#242 tomarlyn
Member since 2005 • 20148 Posts
I honestly believe him, they want some respect back from gamers. I just hope Wii U does enough to make the 360/PS3 look outdated and justify overship from somone thats grown tired of their first party. Its not that I don't like their usual first party catalogue, they're just not system sellers for me anymore like they were 15-20 years ago.
Zensword

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#243 Zensword
Member since 2007 • 4510 Posts
Take a look at WiiU launch games: AC3, Darksider 2, Metro Last Light, Aliens Colonial Marines ... Obviously Nintendo sticks to their words. I think I'll jumpship to WiiU instead of PS4 since I'll have both core multiplats + Nintendo games. UC was the main reason I bought PS3 but I'm tired of this series, and has no interest in any of other Sony exclusives.