Iwata: 3DS and Wii U Will Focus on Core Gamers

This topic is locked from further discussion.

#1 Posted by charizard1605 (56853 posts) -

Nintendo's strategy with the 3DS's early years and its forthcoming Wii U launch is to put core-orientated games ahead of efforts to attract the mass market, according to CEO Satoru Iwata.

Speaking in aninvestor Q&Afollowing itsfinancial reportlast week, Iwata explained that the platform holder has learned from mistakes made with the Wii.

While that console succeeded in attracting new customers with more casual titles such as Wii Sports, he admitted Nintendo had then struggled to convince core gamers to take the platform seriously, which negatively impacted the system's long term success.

"The Wii was able to reach a large number of new consumers who had never played games before by bringing hands-on experiences with its Wii Sports and Wii Fit," he explained.

"However, we could not adequately create the situation that such new consumers played games frequently or for long, consistent periods. As a result, we could not sustain a good level of profit.

"Moreover, regrettably, what we prioritised in order to reach out to the new audience was a bit too far from what we prioritised for those who play games as their hobby. Consequently, we presume some people felt that the Wii was not a game system for them or they were not willing to play with the Wii even though some compelling games had been released."

Accordingly, Iwata explained, it decided not to flood the 3DS's early release slate with casual games, instead prioritising core titles such as Super Mario 3D Land, Kid Icarus: Uprising, Ocarina of Time 3D and Mario Kart 7. It intends to take a similar approach with the Wii U when it launches later this year.

"Once consumers have a notion that 'this system is not for us', we have learned that it is extremely difficult to change their perceptions later," said Iwata.

"Therefore, in promoting the Nintendo 3DS and the Wii U, we have announced that we would like 'width' and 'depth' to coexist.

"With the Nintendo DS and the Wii, the approach of 'width' was well accepted by many people; however, what we did in terms of 'depth' was not satisfactory for some consumers. This time, we would like consumers to be satisfied in both aspects.

"In order to do so, we started to work on the 'depth' aspect first, and the current and existing software you can see for the Nintendo 3DS is based on that idea. In the future, the approach will evolve," he continued.

"Our approach for the Wii U is basically the same. By doing so continuously, we are expecting that the number of game users per household will increase and as the gaming population increases, we believe we can create a sustainable video game market."Eurogamer

He seems to get it, and thankfully, it's not just empty words: looking at the 3DS, it's clear that the strategy is already in place. Where the DS's lineup was defined by games like Brain Age, Electroplankton, and Nintendogs, the 3DS's is defined by Super Mario 3D Land, Mario Kart 7, Kid Icarus: Uprising, and Resident Evil: Revelations.

If they can apply this same strategy to the Wii U too, we will have a system worth owning on our hands.

#2 Posted by WreckEm711 (6922 posts) -

Just when I scoff at a possible 350 price, I get this. If the Wii U's software is anywhere near what the 3DS has got from Nintendo so far, TAKE MY MONEY.

#3 Posted by NirdBerd (2116 posts) -

Definitely, the 3DS feels like the Gamecube all over again in terms of fun factor, the quality of the games, etc. Very addicting. Just needs more Metroid.

#4 Posted by sandbox3d (5116 posts) -

I've had a good feeling about the Wii U from the start. Its actually the first Nintendo console I've really been hyped for since the SNES.

#5 Posted by Videodogg (12561 posts) -

Nice and all, but maybe too little, too late. Nintendo, please remember that most core gamers already own a PS3 or 360 , or both, and are quite satisfied. Can your tablet controller really be that engaging for people to buy a new console that is similar in power to the consoles we already own?

#6 Posted by NaveedLife (17179 posts) -

I like what I hear and what I see on the 3DS thus far, but they need to make sure they CONTINUE those efforts. For example, they had BETTER show off Paper Mario and more at E3 :P. I WANT IT NOW! If the WiiU can show off one game that blows me away at E3, it will be enough. Whether it is a new Metroid, Zelda, or new IP altogether. Make it happen Nintendo!

#7 Posted by soapandbubbles (3082 posts) -

god this is good 2 read, the lack of the CORE games is the sole reason i have been avoiding Nintendo. Wii U controller + core games = WIN!

#8 Posted by free_milk (4368 posts) -
None of those 3ds games from the quote are played as core/hardcore. Hardcore is not the quality or age rating of the game but the way u play it.(eg.maybe WOW is hardcore since people play that 10hours a day) Most of the wii and 3ds games are played with family or casually.only exceptions for games like zelda
#9 Posted by charizard1605 (56853 posts) -
[QUOTE="free_milk"]None of those 3ds games from the quote are played as core/hardcore. Hardcore is not the quality or age rating of the game but the way u play it.(eg.maybe WOW is hardcore since people play that 10hours a day) Most of the wii and 3ds games are played with family or casually.only exceptions for games like zelda

Really? Kid Icarus is not hardcore? Resident Evil is not hardcore? Mario Kart and Mario 3D Land are not hardcore? Stretching, aren't we?
#10 Posted by sandbox3d (5116 posts) -

Ha, reading through his post you can tell he really understands the perception aspect. The way people will all out ignore a console and the great games it does have just because there is an abundance of "casual" crap.

Describes the bulk of SW well.

"I refuse to enjoy the awesome games on the Wii because there are so many casual games on the Wii, rah, rah, rahhh!!!!"

^

System Wars.

#11 Posted by charizard1605 (56853 posts) -

Ha, reading through his post you can tell he really understands the perception aspect. The way people will all out ignore a console and the great games it does have just because there is an abundance of "casual" crap.

Describes the bulk of SW well.

"I refuse to enjoy the awesome games on the Wii because there are so many casual games on the Wii, rah, rah, rahhh!!!!"

^

System Wars.

sandbox3d
For the Wii, the 'casual' argument even makes sense... but what casual games does the 3DS even have?
#12 Posted by free_milk (4368 posts) -
[QUOTE="charizard1605"][QUOTE="free_milk"]None of those 3ds games from the quote are played as core/hardcore. Hardcore is not the quality or age rating of the game but the way u play it.(eg.maybe WOW is hardcore since people play that 10hours a day) Most of the wii and 3ds games are played with family or casually.only exceptions for games like zelda

Really? Kid Icarus is not hardcore? Resident Evil is not hardcore? Mario Kart and Mario 3D Land are not hardcore? Stretching, aren't we?

Kid Icarus is just a rail shooter with bad ground control 3d land is to easy and short Mario kart only has good multiplayer and is based on luck And I said it's not the quality it's the way u play it
#13 Posted by NaveedLife (17179 posts) -

[QUOTE="charizard1605"][QUOTE="free_milk"]None of those 3ds games from the quote are played as core/hardcore. Hardcore is not the quality or age rating of the game but the way u play it.(eg.maybe WOW is hardcore since people play that 10hours a day) Most of the wii and 3ds games are played with family or casually.only exceptions for games like zeldafree_milk

Kid Icarus is just a rail shooter with bad ground control 3d land is to easy and short Mario kart only has good multiplayer and is based on luck And I said it's not the quality it's the way u play it

*facepalm*

#14 Posted by sandbox3d (5116 posts) -

[QUOTE="charizard1605"][QUOTE="free_milk"]None of those 3ds games from the quote are played as core/hardcore. Hardcore is not the quality or age rating of the game but the way u play it.(eg.maybe WOW is hardcore since people play that 10hours a day) Most of the wii and 3ds games are played with family or casually.only exceptions for games like zeldafree_milk

Which is the problem with the stupid hardcore vs. casual argument. Nobody agrees on the same definition.

#15 Posted by charizard1605 (56853 posts) -
[QUOTE="free_milk"][QUOTE="charizard1605"][QUOTE="free_milk"]None of those 3ds games from the quote are played as core/hardcore. Hardcore is not the quality or age rating of the game but the way u play it.(eg.maybe WOW is hardcore since people play that 10hours a day) Most of the wii and 3ds games are played with family or casually.only exceptions for games like zelda

Clearly you have no idea what you're talking about. Kid Icarus is a third person shooter game, divided one thirds into a rail shooter, and two thirds into ion ground parts which afford complete movement Super Mario 3D Land has two halves: the first half, which is the easy and short portion, and the second half, which is balls sweating difficult and adds to the length so much. Mario Kart 7 has incredible item balance. Also, how can you play any of these games with your family? How wold you play Mario with your family? Like I said, you're stretching. Please play the games before you comment on them.
#16 Posted by amaneuvering (4015 posts) -

[Quote="Eurogamer"]

Nintendo's strategy with the 3DS's early years and its forthcoming Wii U launch is to put core-orientated games ahead of efforts to attract the mass market, according to CEO Satoru Iwata.

Speaking in aninvestor Q&Afollowing itsfinancial reportlast week, Iwata explained that the platform holder has learned from mistakes made with the Wii.

While that console succeeded in attracting new customers with more casual titles such as Wii Sports, he admitted Nintendo had then struggled to convince core gamers to take the platform seriously, which negatively impacted the system's long term success.

"The Wii was able to reach a large number of new consumers who had never played games before by bringing hands-on experiences with its Wii Sports and Wii Fit," he explained.

"However, we could not adequately create the situation that such new consumers played games frequently or for long, consistent periods. As a result, we could not sustain a good level of profit.

"Moreover, regrettably, what we prioritised in order to reach out to the new audience was a bit too far from what we prioritised for those who play games as their hobby. Consequently, we presume some people felt that the Wii was not a game system for them or they were not willing to play with the Wii even though some compelling games had been released."

Accordingly, Iwata explained, it decided not to flood the 3DS's early release slate with casual games, instead prioritising core titles such as Super Mario 3D Land, Kid Icarus: Uprising, Ocarina of Time 3D and Mario Kart 7. It intends to take a similar approach with the Wii U when it launches later this year.

"Once consumers have a notion that 'this system is not for us', we have learned that it is extremely difficult to change their perceptions later," said Iwata.

"Therefore, in promoting the Nintendo 3DS and the Wii U, we have announced that we would like 'width' and 'depth' to coexist.

"With the Nintendo DS and the Wii, the approach of 'width' was well accepted by many people; however, what we did in terms of 'depth' was not satisfactory for some consumers. This time, we would like consumers to be satisfied in both aspects.

"In order to do so, we started to work on the 'depth' aspect first, and the current and existing software you can see for the Nintendo 3DS is based on that idea. In the future, the approach will evolve," he continued.

"Our approach for the Wii U is basically the same. By doing so continuously, we are expecting that the number of game users per household will increase and as the gaming population increases, we believe we can create a sustainable video game market."charizard1605

He seems to get it, and thankfully, it's not just empty words: looking at the 3DS, it's clear that the strategy is already in place. Where the DS's lineup was defined by games like Brain Age, Electroplankton, and Nintendogs, the 3DS's is defined by Super Mario 3D Land, Mario Kart 7, Kid Icarus: Uprising, and Resident Evil: Revelations.

If they can apply this same strategy to the Wii U too, we will have a system worth owning on our hands.

Just do BOTH Nintendo. Sorted.
#17 Posted by Chris_Williams (14874 posts) -

naw i'm good with my ps3 and pc, thanks though

#18 Posted by Fizzman (9872 posts) -

Sorry Nintendo, you guys are dead to me. Give me a regular controller that isnt full of motion gimmicks/touch screen garbage and i might return.

#19 Posted by Last-Resort (349 posts) -

[Quote="Eurogamer"]

"Our approach for the Wii U is basically the same. By doing so continuously, we are expecting that the number of game users per household will increase and as the gaming population increases, we believe we can create a sustainable video game market."charizard1605

WTF are you talking about? MK7, M3d, and a hand hold evil are all casual. Also, the hardcore plan of the 3DS originally involved those old game ports, that backfired. The only for Nintendo to redeem themselves is if they ritually sacrafice Shingeru and Iwata and bring back Gunpei.
#20 Posted by FPSDad1161 (814 posts) -
Day one buy regardless. But good to know. Hopefully it launches with a Mario or Zelda game. If not, oh well. Would be cool to see Nintendo launch with a Mario game again.
#21 Posted by Last-Resort (349 posts) -
[QUOTE="charizard1605"][QUOTE="free_milk"][QUOTE="charizard1605"] Really? Kid Icarus is not hardcore? Resident Evil is not hardcore? Mario Kart and Mario 3D Land are not hardcore? Stretching, aren't we?

Clearly you have no idea what you're talking about. Kid Icarus is a third person shooter game, divided one thirds into a rail shooter,
and two thirds into ion ground parts which afford complete movement Super Mario 3D Land has two halves: the first half, which is the easy and short portion, and the second half, which is balls sweating difficult and adds to the length so much. Mario Kart 7 has incredible item balance. Also, how can you play any of these games with your family? How wold you play Mario with your family? Like I said, you're stretching. Please play the games before you comment on them.

Difficulty does not mean the game can't be casual. Mario Kart is still catching up to CTR and SP/SF for item balance, control, physics, drifting, sliding, design, track design, and car statistics. The game is still as casual and luck based as ever.
#22 Posted by SuperFlakeman (7342 posts) -

3DS' third party library is more core oriented than before, but the Nintendo system kind of core.

There's no Uncharted (western photo realistic hollywood TPS), Resistance (western photo realistic FPS) or Bioshock (yeah you guessed it) for 3DS, yet those are announced/released for PSV. Revelations was made because of the strong relationship between Nintendo and Capcom. MGS 3D/RCT 3D are sloppy enhanced ports.

I'm not complaining here, just pointing out that when you use the terms core and 3rd party on Nintendo systems, you mean Sonic, Rayman, Harvest Moon, plethora of rhythm games, Kingdom Hearts, Heroes of Ruin, Monster Hunter kind of PSP/Japanese centric/cartoony games i.e. kiddy games.

That said I think Wii U will definitely get a ton of western support, but 3DS is still DS+PSP i.e. casual+Nintendo type of core+japan type of core and that doesn't satisfy the "core" western gamer.

#23 Posted by Samus3D (1675 posts) -

Resident Evil Revelations

Metal Gear Solid 3d Snake Eater

Monster Hunter 4

Heroes of Ruin

Tekken Prime

Dead or Alive Dimensions

Monster Hunter 3G

Project X Zone

Tales of the Abyss

#24 Posted by charizard1605 (56853 posts) -

3DS' third party library is more core oriented than before, but the Nintendo system kind of core.

There's no Uncharted (western photo realistic hollywood TPS), Resistance (western photo realistic FPS) or Bioshock (yeah you guessed it) for 3DS, yet those are announced/released for PSV. Revelations was made because of the strong relationship between Nintendo and Capcom.

I'm not complaining here, just pointing out that when you use the terms core and 3rd party on Nintendo systems, you mean Sonic, Rayman, Harvest Moon, plethora of rhythm games, Kingdom Hearts, Heroes of Ruin, Monster Hunter kind of PSP/Japanese centric/cartoony games i.e. kiddy games.

That said I think Wii U will definitely get a ton of western support, but 3DS is still DS+PSP i.e. casual+Nintendo type of core+japan type of core and that doesn't satisfy the "core" western gamer.

SuperFlakeman
Western support is coming
#25 Posted by p4s2p0 (4167 posts) -
3ds would need at least an 8 player online shooter before I would consider it considering psp had up to 16 sometimes
#26 Posted by Pikminmaniac (8849 posts) -

That was a really good read. It has me completely pumped for Wii U! This could be the dream console I've always wanted if it manages to get the multiplats.

#27 Posted by Maroxad (8209 posts) -

Good if they stick their words I guess, but really. Casual, core, hardcore? None of those terms really doesn't matter as long as the game is fun.

A fun casual game like Sims 3 is a million times more fun to play than a crappy core product like Uncharted.

[QUOTE="free_milk"]None of those 3ds games from the quote are played as core/hardcore. Hardcore is not the quality or age rating of the game but the way u play it.(eg.maybe WOW is hardcore since people play that 10hours a day) Most of the wii and 3ds games are played with family or casually.only exceptions for games like zeldacharizard1605

None of those are hardcore.

But I will stop there.

#28 Posted by charizard1605 (56853 posts) -

Good if they stick their words I guess, but really. Casual, core, hardcore? None of those terms really doesn't matter as long as the game is fun.

A fun casual game like Sims 3 is a million times more fun to play than a crappy core product like Uncharted.

[QUOTE="charizard1605"][QUOTE="free_milk"]None of those 3ds games from the quote are played as core/hardcore. Hardcore is not the quality or age rating of the game but the way u play it.(eg.maybe WOW is hardcore since people play that 10hours a day) Most of the wii and 3ds games are played with family or casually.only exceptions for games like zeldaMaroxad

None of those are hardcore.

But I will stop there.

They're hardcore in how the mainstream media and market defines the term 'hardcore,' even if they are not hardcore by the strictest definitions of the word. But then, if we go by the strictest definition, practically no console game, Nintendo or otherwise, would qualify as hardcore ;)
#29 Posted by GameboyTroy (2469 posts) -

Should they release a Metroid game for the launch of the Wii U too?

#30 Posted by Eponique (17859 posts) -

If it's not a movie it's not hardcore.

#31 Posted by Samus3D (1675 posts) -

3DS is not hardcore at all...

Resident Evil Revelations

Resident Evil the Mercenaries 3d

Dead or Alive Dimensions

Tekken Prime

Metal Gear Solid 3d Snake Eater

Tales of the Abyss

Monster Hunter 4

Project X Zone

Monster Hunter 3g

Heroes of Ruin

Conduit 3DS

Contra

Fire Emblem Awakening

Ninja Gaiden

Shin Megami Tensei Devil Survivor Overclocked

Sin Megami Tensei Persona

Shinobi

Spirit Camera The Cursed Memoir

Super Street Fighter IV 3d

... The online for Mario Kart 7 and Kid Icarus Uprising, not hardcore at all right?

#32 Posted by SuperFlakeman (7342 posts) -

[QUOTE="SuperFlakeman"]

There's no Uncharted (western photo realistic hollywood TPS), Resistance (western photo realistic FPS) or Bioshock (yeah you guessed it) for 3DS, yet those are announced/released for PSV. Revelations was made because of the strong relationship between Nintendo and Capcom.

charizard1605

Do you believe that?

It's pretty clear Wii U will get a ton of western support, at least all the big publishers will be there.

But 3DS? I can't see that happening. What games are we talking about? I can think of CoD and Fifa, what else? Oh yeah that Mickey Mouse game too, a cartoony 2D platformer haha

#33 Posted by charizard1605 (56853 posts) -

[QUOTE="charizard1605"][QUOTE="SuperFlakeman"]

SuperFlakeman

Do you believe that?

It's pretty clear Wii U will get a ton of western support, at least all the big publishers will be there.

But 3DS? I can't see that happening. What games are we talking about? I can think of CoD and Fifa, what else? Oh yeah that Mickey Mouse game too, a cartoony 2D platformer haha

When Iwata himself promises more western games for 3DS to be unveiled at E3, yes, I believe him.
#34 Posted by YoshiYogurt (5974 posts) -
whoo! 3ds has been very satisfying as the ds was.
#35 Posted by Yangire (8790 posts) -

It's all up to the third party developers to make a system "focus on core gamers".

#36 Posted by charizard1605 (56853 posts) -

It's all up to the third party developers to make a system "focus on core gamers".

Yangire
First party games lead the way, and cement third party perception of a system. When Nintendo's first party efforts on the DS and Wii were casual, third parties followed it up with casual games. Nintendo makes their marquee titles for the 3DS core, third parties follow.
#37 Posted by Last-Resort (349 posts) -

Do you believe that?

charizard1605

When Iwata himself promises more western games for 3DS to be unveiled at E3, yes, I believe him.

Just like you believed him all those other ti- wait. So anyway, iwata has no idea what he is talking about, time to sacrifice him in the circle and bring back gunpei.

#38 Posted by Eponique (17859 posts) -

Fire Emblem Awakening is more hardcore than all of Sony's interactive movies combined.

LOL-lol-LOL.png

#39 Posted by Last-Resort (349 posts) -
[QUOTE="charizard1605"] It's all up to the third party developers to make a system "focus on core gamers".

First party games lead the way, and cement third party perception of a system. When Nintendo's first party efforts on the DS and Wii were casual, third parties followed it up with casual games. Nintendo makes their marquee titles for the 3DS core, third parties follow.

It doesn't work that way. Especially for Nintendo. BTW, GS hates your user name because I keep getting this error: " The quoted username can only be a-z, 0-9, space - and _"
#40 Posted by charizard1605 (56853 posts) -
[QUOTE="Last-Resort"] BTW, GS hates your user name because I keep getting this error: " The quoted username can only be a-z, 0-9, space - and _"

You're breaking quote chains, that's why. Make sure my username is closed off in square brackets. Like so [Quote="charizard1605"]
#41 Posted by tarzanell (1503 posts) -

TDW151.troll_hunter_fur.jpg

#42 Posted by NaveedLife (17179 posts) -

If we can see 1 new Nintendo developed 3DS and WiiU game at E3, what would you want it to be? I say:

WiiU: Metroid Prime 4/Metroid Dread (first or third person view, prime like world and exploration, more platforming elements)

3DS: New 3D Zelda (rivals OoT and MM, perhaps using the same OoT 3DS engine)

#43 Posted by tarzanell (1503 posts) -

Fire Emblem Awakening is more hardcore than all of Sony's interactive movies combined.

LOL-lol-LOL.png

Eponique
I dunno man, Tactics Ogre on the PSP was pretty damn hardcore.
#44 Posted by nameless12345 (15125 posts) -

I hope that doesn't mean they'll try to compete with MS and Sony on their own front (i.e. Halo clones, Gran Turismo clones and Gears of War/Uncharted clones).

#45 Posted by charizard1605 (56853 posts) -

If we can see 1 new Nintendo developed 3DS and WiiU game at E3, what would you want it to be? I say:

WiiU: Metroid Prime 4/Metroid Dread (first or third person view, prime like world and exploration, more platforming elements)

3DS: New 3D Zelda (rivals OoT and MM, perhaps using the same OoT 3DS engine)

NaveedLife
3DS: F-Zero 3D (World is hit by 3D induced motion sickness epidemic) Wii U: Metroid prime 4 (dat HD) [QUOTE="tarzanell"] I dunno man, Tactics Ogre on the PSP was pretty damn hardcore.

Tactics Ogre isn't a Sony game though :P
#46 Posted by Eponique (17859 posts) -

[QUOTE="Eponique"]

LOL-lol-LOL.png

tarzanell

I dunno man, Tactics Ogre on the PSP was pretty damn hardcore.

That's not made by Sony :x

#47 Posted by charizard1605 (56853 posts) -

I hope that doesn't mean they'll try to compete with MS and Sony on their own front (i.e. Halo clones, Gran Turismo clones and Gears of War/Uncharted clones).

nameless12345
They could easily revive Star Tropics and make it their own 'Uncharted'
#48 Posted by nameless12345 (15125 posts) -

[QUOTE="nameless12345"]

charizard1605

A new Star Tropics title would be great but it shouldn't try to compete with Uncharted imo.

#49 Posted by Zeviander (9503 posts) -
The Wii had plenty of core games. The problem for most "core gamers" was they weren't rated M.
#50 Posted by charizard1605 (56853 posts) -

[QUOTE="charizard1605"][QUOTE="nameless12345"]

nameless12345

A new Star Tropics title would be great but it shouldn't try to compete with Uncharted imo.

If it's revived, that will be the direction they take. As Kid Icarus and Metroid Prime have shown, Nintendo aren't averse to changing genres when reviving franchises.