is sony incapable of coming up with original ideas?

This topic is locked from further discussion.

hayato_

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

#101 hayato_
Member since 2007 • 5165 Posts

Pressure senstive buttons I think

Remote play ( PS3 and PSP )

ermacness

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#102 ermacness
Member since 2005 • 10647 Posts
1 more thing that sony did that was innovative: REMOTE PLAY
st1ka

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#103 st1ka
Member since 2008 • 8179 Posts
[QUOTE="st1ka"][QUOTE="ermacness"]yeah, but did ninty advertise the NES or the SNES to be played like that? We did alot to the SNES and the NES to get our games to work with both consoles, most actions was probably not in the guidelines with ninty intentions of the consoleermacness

technically if any cartridge based console could be played like that then there is no need to advertise it because it's not really a feature, it's like the 360 creating an advert saying "our console comes in a box"

but in most cases, it was only played like that to keep the game operating properly, It wasn't meant to be played like that and i can bet you than most people who bought the NES/SNES at 1st didn't play their consoles like that. With the ps2, sony actually sold the vertical standing, and actually advertise it. So 1 point for sony

it wasn't meant to play like that, but it did, and seeing as how cartridge based console have very few moving parts chances are it really wouldn't hurt the console either way

st1ka

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#104 st1ka

hayato_

huh?

hayato_

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#105 hayato_
[QUOTE="st1ka"][QUOTE="hayato_"]

huh?

What?
ogvampire

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#106 ogvampire
Member since 2008 • 9155 Posts
[QUOTE="st1ka"]

Dual sticks.. yeah ok..

SolidTy

That's a VERY VALID innovation, one that Microsoft used for Both of their consoles, and one that Nintendo uses for the Wii's regular controller and Gamecube. Laught it off but it obviously was very essential to games like Timesplitters, Halo, GeoW, etc.
DVD is a real great thing as well, but why even bother. Every idea from a company can be ridiculed away on these forums. Every single one.

I see these threads bashing Sony all the time, but Where is the 10 page Plus thread of Microsoft's innovations?

That's because deep down, we know that Microsoft is a generation behind, yet has contributed even less to gaming (save for LIVE, and business decisions.)

If you guys want technology to progress, this is the way it's done.

Imagine if the WRIGHT BROS. were the only ones allowed to make Airplanes, lol.

im not sure if dual analogue really is an 'innovation'

i mean they already had controllers with 1 analogue stick, would adding 1 more really be such an amazing accomplishment?

chathuranga

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#107 chathuranga
Member since 2003 • 3549 Posts
What about shoulder buttons?
Chiddaling

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 9

#108 Chiddaling
Member since 2008 • 9106 Posts
LBP comes to mind >_>
st1ka

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#109 st1ka

hayato_

huh?

What?

what do you mean by pressure sensitive buttons?

st1ka

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#110 st1ka
What about shoulder buttons?chathuranga
SNES
ogvampire

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#111 ogvampire

What about shoulder buttons?chathuranga

SNES... i think

Avatar image for Angry_PolarBear
Angry_PolarBear

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

#112 Angry_PolarBear
Member since 2008 • 961 Posts
[QUOTE="hayato_"]

st1ka

huh?

it's where pressing the button lightly might have less impact on a game, where as pressing a button hard will have a bigger impact. e.g. in racing games, pressing the buttons softly may make the car accelerate slowly, whereas pushing it all the way in will make it accelerate faster.
st1ka

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#113 st1ka

Angry_PolarBear

huh?

it's where pressing the button lightly might have less impact on a game, where as pressing a button hard will have a bigger impact. e.g. in racing games, pressing the buttons softly may make the car accelerate slowly, whereas pushing it all the way in will make it accelerate faster.

huh.... the NES has that.. try pressing the buttons lightly and you'll see mario jumps a shorter distance :|

ermacness

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#114 ermacness
[QUOTE="ermacness"][QUOTE="st1ka"]

technically if any cartridge based console could be played like that then there is no need to advertise it because it's not really a feature, it's like the 360 creating an advert saying "our console comes in a box"

st1ka

but in most cases, it was only played like that to keep the game operating properly, It wasn't meant to be played like that and i can bet you than most people who bought the NES/SNES at 1st didn't play their consoles like that. With the ps2, sony actually sold the vertical standing, and actually advertise it. So 1 point for sony

it wasn't meant to play like that, but it did, and seeing as how cartridge based console have very few moving parts chances are it really wouldn't hurt the console either way

So you actually think that sony looked at how a partially defective console can play vertical and say "hey, that's a very cool and neat idea to do with our next console" ? If sony did rip ideas off of another console, they' aren't going to turn a console vertical, especially since that's not how it was advertise, just to copy an idea
Angry_PolarBear

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#115 Angry_PolarBear

i mean they already had controllers with 1 analogue stick, would adding 1 more really be such an amazing accomplishment?

ogvampire
imagine trying to play most of the games we have now without a second stick, everything would control like the PSP, that would be bad.
st1ka

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#116 st1ka
[QUOTE="st1ka"][QUOTE="ermacness"]but in most cases, it was only played like that to keep the game operating properly, It wasn't meant to be played like that and i can bet you than most people who bought the NES/SNES at 1st didn't play their consoles like that. With the ps2, sony actually sold the vertical standing, and actually advertise it. So 1 point for sonyermacness

So you actually think that sony looked at how a partially defective console can play vertical and say "hey, that's a very cool and neat idea to do with our next console" ? If sony did rip ideas off of another console, they' aren't going to turn a console vertical, especially since that's not how it was advertise, just to copy an idea

i think that most likely they saw how the N64 can be played upside down while the saturn and PS1 couldn't

ogvampire

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#117 ogvampire

LBP comes to mind >_>Chiddaling

youre gonna have to credit Media Molecule on that one... not sony

hayato_

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#118 hayato_
[QUOTE="hayato_"][QUOTE="st1ka"]

huh?

st1ka

What?

If you pressed hard or soft on it, it did actions faster or slower. MGS2 was a good example. If you pressed the button down harder and longer it turned the valve faster. Pointing a gun to stick people up or actaully shooting it. Zone of the Enders was sthe same way It wouldn't surprise me, this feature gets overlooked alot on the PS controller. Its one of my favorites, but I think it might have been done already though.
ermacness

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#119 ermacness
another thing that sony was innovative with: BLUETOOTH HEADSETS/BLUETOOTH CONTROLLERS
st1ka

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#120 st1ka
[QUOTE="st1ka"][QUOTE="hayato_"] What? hayato_

If you pressed hard or soft on it, it did actions faster or slower. MGS2 was a good example. If you pressed the button down harder and longer it turned the valve faster. Pointing a gun to stick people up or actaully shooting it. Zone of the Enders was sthe same way It wouldn't surprise me, this feature gets overlooked alot on the PS controller. Its one of my favorites, but I think it might have been done already though.

but didn't the NES controller already had that? i remember that mario jumped diferently depending on the strenght i used

st1ka

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#121 st1ka

another thing that sony was innovative with: BLUETOOTH HEADSETS/BLUETOOTH CONTROLLERSermacness

wireless technology has been around since the NES

mariokart64fan

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 101

User Lists: 1

#122 mariokart64fan
Member since 2003 • 20828 Posts

while you are so correct on so many levels, microsofts not innocent either,

lets see, oh their doing the wii mote to ,

or there was rumors at least lol in one of my game informers lol,

and lets see what else the xbox s controller is exactly like the gamecube controller except with 1 extra button and sonys 2 clickable sticks lol,

xbox also copied nintendos buttons layout off of snes'/gc

x a b y etc they could have use number lol, but no they had to copy and they were the same exact color as pal snes controllers buttons ,

the l and r are a copy of the dreamcast contoller oh and the expansion/memory units to , off from the n64 and dreamcast controllers, more of the dc since its in the same position

the breakaway cord is the only thing ms had original oh and hard drive> your wrong ms did not invent the hard drive lol, saturn had internal memory just like wii , which is the same exact thing , as a hard drive ,and computers used hard drives first

dvd player-tooken from may people ideas ,

by the way this just entered my mind remember those failed beta tapes, the same thingh happened to hd dvd-what a rip that was ,

oh buy this part and your 360 can play em , what kind of scam was that, by the way what 007 movies ever hit hd dvd ,,, lol, and twister or titanic did that ever come, no

i doubt anything good is on hd dvd just the new stuff they came out and yes i like the classics better wheels of terror any one remember this , lol i used to watch it back along time ago , it was pretty good about a lady getting her child back , from a phsycho in a black car she chased him with her school bus lol i love it ,

ya microsoft reminds me of sony when they did their first mistakes lol, its dejavu all over again ,

and microsoft took segas online idea lol, is it me or is nintendo the only one thats improved video games without taking other peoples ideas !

st1ka you proved his point wireless controllers have been around since nes, lol get on topic lol,

oh also theres one more big thing sony got sued for and lost

on early models of ps1s they had allowed you to play snes titles, thats right ,, , took nintendos cart reading things ,

ha they lost that suit quickely pulling all units off the shelfs . if any one has one you must be lucky!

so ya sony has done some then lost some sony did bluray and dvd lol, give them some credit, and is the first to create a failing but cd based portable console , sony is, give sony credit when due, when not dont argue lol,

ermacness

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#123 ermacness

st1ka

i think that most likely they saw how the N64 can be played upside down while the saturn and PS1 couldn't

How many people played their N64 like that? Was it enough people for the news to get back to ninty? Because this is the 1st time i ever heard of this

BTW, i was able to play my defected ps1 udside down

ermacness

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#124 ermacness

[QUOTE="ermacness"]another thing that sony was innovative with: BLUETOOTH HEADSETS/BLUETOOTH CONTROLLERSst1ka

wasn't BLUETOOTH though
ogvampire

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#125 ogvampire
[QUOTE="ogvampire"]

Angry_PolarBear

imagine trying to play most of the games we have now without a second stick, everything would control like the PSP, that would be bad.

let me clarify:

they already had 1 analogue stick, why is having 2 an innovation?

examply: say the standard controller has 4 face buttons... would you consider a controller with 8 face buttons to be innovative?

Tiefster

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 37

#126 Tiefster
Member since 2005 • 14639 Posts
Sony pretty much shaped gaming as we know it today by making it increasingly mainstream. If it wasn't for my PS1 I doubt I would have learned of deeper games than Mario. Hate on Sony all you want but they helped shape the industry, whether they were original or not is not for me to say, but what they did with PS1 and PS2 was take whatever idea they "stole" and made it better and more successful.

Aside from Halo, DK, Mario, and Zelda, my fondest console gaming memories have always been on Sony consoles, what does that say about them?
st1ka

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#127 st1ka
[QUOTE="st1ka"][QUOTE="ermacness"]So you actually think that sony looked at how a partially defective console can play vertical and say "hey, that's a very cool and neat idea to do with our next console" ? If sony did rip ideas off of another console, they' aren't going to turn a console vertical, especially since that's not how it was advertise, just to copy an ideaermacness

How many people played their N64 like that? Was it enough people for the news to get back to ninty? Because this is the 1st time i ever heard of this

What does publicity have anything to do with it? cartridge based consoles could be played sideways, maybe it didn't look pretty and maybe it wasn't on purpose, but they could be played vertically and horizontally.

RuinedMachine

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#128 RuinedMachine
Member since 2008 • 622 Posts
It really takes someone ignorant about videogames to not know that Sony has brought a lot to the media.

MS, Sony, Nintendo, Sega... All these companies brought something new and innovative to gaming in one way or another.
Zeppy007

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

#129 Zeppy007
Member since 2008 • 558 Posts

Sony was the 1st to incorporate DVD playback ability in a console, as well as the Eye Toy and vertical standing.

BTW, to the OP who stated that Motorstorm is a generic racer. Isn't it really funny that after the 1st Motorstorm dropped, all of a sudden we got Dirt, Pure, and Baja: Edge of Control, along with 2 announced off-road racers like Dirt 2 and Fuel all within the year? Now was dirt racing really this much of a hit before Motorstorm came out?

ermacness

dirt and motorstorm came out in the same year

WeaponX295

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#130 WeaponX295
Member since 2008 • 102 Posts
I would just like to point out that Insomniac games technically invented the Achievement System prior to Microsoft. All the Ratchet and Clank games had Skill points which worked just like Achievements do on the 360, the only difference was you didn't have a gamertag that kept track of you overall skill points between the various games.
st1ka

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#131 st1ka
[QUOTE="st1ka"]

[QUOTE="ermacness"]another thing that sony was innovative with: BLUETOOTH HEADSETS/BLUETOOTH CONTROLLERSermacness

wasn't BLUETOOTH though

wasn't the end user result the same?

hayato_

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#132 hayato_
[QUOTE="st1ka"][QUOTE="hayato_"][QUOTE="st1ka"]

but didn't the NES controller already had that? i remember that mario jumped diferently depending on the strenght i used

I guess so, On another note I don't think you can find a company thats done anything "innovative" tbh. I mean, even Nintendo and MS have copied off some form of technology. I mean just look at the X box controller, its a dreamcast controller only with two or more buttons and there have been tons of motion sensor controllers already, im surprised people are still so surperised about that.
crazy-player

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

#133 crazy-player
Member since 2005 • 2909 Posts
[QUOTE="st1ka"]

[QUOTE="ermacness"]another thing that sony was innovative with: BLUETOOTH HEADSETS/BLUETOOTH CONTROLLERSermacness

wasn't BLUETOOTH though

Doesn't matter, it worked the same, and it was wireless.
Angry_PolarBear

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#134 Angry_PolarBear

[QUOTE="ermacness"]another thing that sony was innovative with: BLUETOOTH HEADSETS/BLUETOOTH CONTROLLERSst1ka

but that wasn't really created by nintendo, it was a third party.
SolidTy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#135 SolidTy
Member since 2005 • 49991 Posts
[QUOTE="hayato_"][QUOTE="st1ka"]

st1ka

It wasn't the same. Let me try to explain. Pressure Sensitivity in the PS2 had 256 different pressure points in ALL Of the buttons (Save for "start" and "select"). This technology is also in the PS3, and the original Xbox (M$ got rid of it on the 360, as it was underused.).

You guys don't know this, but that was the big difference between the Dual Shock, and DUAL Shock 2.

Gran Turismo uses it as you can see exactly how hard you are pressing the button while watching RPM's. The Bouncer used to for the type of Punches and Kicks used. EA uses it for sports games, and SOCOM used it for the Grenades (GeoW emulated this, but due to the lack of pressure sensitive buttons on the 360, you used the analog stick for distance.)

It's cool, but it is underused, for sure.

Avatar image for organic_machine
organic_machine

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

#136 organic_machine
Member since 2004 • 10141 Posts
No they aren't. Neither is any other company for that matter. Not even Shakespeare's works were original.
ermacness

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#137 ermacness
another thing sony did that was innovative: allowing for most PC controllers to operate on the ps3 with limited capabilities (i don't know about rumble since the DS3 rumble now, but no six-axis controls though). I know this from experience
Angry_PolarBear

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#138 Angry_PolarBear
[QUOTE="Angry_PolarBear"][QUOTE="ogvampire"]

ogvampire

let me clarify:

examply: say the standard controller has 4 face buttons... would you consider a controller with 8 face buttons to be innovative?

because it SIGNIFICANTLY changes the way we play games. If it had little to no effect then you would have a point.
st1ka

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#139 st1ka
[QUOTE="st1ka"]

[QUOTE="ermacness"]another thing that sony was innovative with: BLUETOOTH HEADSETS/BLUETOOTH CONTROLLERSAngry_PolarBear

the master system also had them (created by sega)

i also remember the gamecube having them but i don't know if they were created by nintendo

Avatar image for dark-warmachine
dark-warmachine

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

#140 dark-warmachine
Member since 2007 • 3476 Posts
[QUOTE="Angry_PolarBear"][QUOTE="ogvampire"]

ogvampire

let me clarify:

Yep, it's not innovation but it's a welcome addition that has now become the standard in current controllers.
st1ka

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#141 st1ka
[QUOTE="st1ka"][QUOTE="hayato_"] If you pressed hard or soft on it, it did actions faster or slower. MGS2 was a good example. If you pressed the button down harder and longer it turned the valve faster. Pointing a gun to stick people up or actaully shooting it. Zone of the Enders was sthe same way It wouldn't surprise me, this feature gets overlooked alot on the PS controller. Its one of my favorites, but I think it might have been done already though.SolidTy

It wasn't the same. Let me try to explain. Pressure Sensitivity in the PS2 had 256 different pressure points in ALL Of the buttons (Save for "start" and "select"). This technology is also in the PS3, and the original Xbox (M$ got rid of it on the 360, as it was underused.).

You guys don't know this, but that was the big difference between the Dual Shock, and DUAL Shock 2.

Gran Turismo uses it as you can see exactly how hard you are pressing the button while watching RPM's. The Bouncer used to for the type of Punches and Kicks used. EA uses it for sports games, and SOCOM used it for the Grenades (GeoW emulated this, but due to the lack of pressure sensitive buttons on the 360, you used the analog stick for distance.)

but isn't that just an evolution over to what we had before?

ermacness

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#142 ermacness

crazy-player
wasn't BLUETOOTH though

Doesn't matter, it worked the same, and it was wireless.

ok, what about having the ability to connect any universal bluetooth headset to the ps3 and use it as a mic? What other console did that?
Avatar image for playstationboy7
playstationboy7

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 12

#144 playstationboy7
Member since 2008 • 756 Posts

CD, DVD and Bluraymck92

this person is right sony invented the cd/dvd if it werent for them you would still be playing with cartridges

SolidTy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#145 SolidTy
[QUOTE="Angry_PolarBear"]

imagine trying to play most of the games we have now without a second stick, everything would control like the PSP, that would be bad.ogvampire

let me clarify:

Someone had to think of it, and implement it. Judging on how much I've used it since 1990's, it's a MAJOR Innovation.

That's like saying, C'mon, the Dpad was fine, who needs and analogue stick?

Sony's Idea Became a VIDEO GAME STANDARD. That's huge, man. (It would be nice if they contributed as much as Nintendo, but why knock them for this accomplishment?)

Ah, the QB just throws the ball to the player, that's easy!

Angry_PolarBear

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#146 Angry_PolarBear
[QUOTE="Angry_PolarBear"][QUOTE="st1ka"]

st1ka

the master system also had them (created by sega)

i also remember the gamecube having them but i don't know if they were created by nintendo

Ohh ok, if it was Sega first party accessories, then I guess sega claims first wireless technology :P
st1ka

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#147 st1ka
another thing sony did that was innovative: allowing for most PC controllers to operate on the ps3 with limited capabilities (i don't know about rumble since the DS3 rumble now, but no six-axis controls though). I know this from experienceermacness
ok, now that i agree...so what do we have so far again?
Angry_PolarBear

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#148 Angry_PolarBear

[QUOTE="mck92"]CD, DVD and Blurayplaystationboy7

this person is right sony invented the cd/dvd if it werent for them you would still be playing with cartridges

No they didn't, this has been addressed atleast 5 times in this thread.
SolidTy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#149 SolidTy
[QUOTE="SolidTy"][QUOTE="st1ka"]

st1ka

but isn't that just an evolution over to what we had before?

No, it was an innovative idea, it was an innovation.
Before, the games just used Timed presses, that's it.

It was an innovation.

st1ka

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#150 st1ka

Someone had to think of it, and implement it. Judging on how much I've used it since 1990's, it's a MAJOR Innovation.

That's like saying, C'mon, the Dpad was fine, who needs and analogue stick?

SolidTy

actually it's not the same, the D-PAD was a different method of controlling, like analog stick and the mouse.

Adding a second analog stick is more of an evolution rather then an inovation, it's not like a new way motion was createdm you simply added a second already exisiting method