How the Wii Mostly Dominated This Generation; WTFMYTIGTART Edition

• 169 results

This topic is locked from further discussion.

Avatar image for Stevo_the_gamer
Stevo_the_gamer

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 49

User Lists: 0

#1 Stevo_the_gamer  Moderator
Member since 2004 • 49568 Posts

How the Wii Mostly Dominated This Generation

(What the F*ck Makes You Think I'm Going to Read All That Edition)

tiggerColor.png

-

This are serious thread. Alright, cool story here bros.

1031.jpg

With this generation drawing soon to a close, I don't think there is any doubt that Nintendo effectively won this generation among the consoles. It sweeped the HD twins off their feet when it came to exclusive high quality games, and sales. Even in a year when support for the Wii has dropped like stone in a pond, it still managed to release a few retail games to keep Wii owners something to chew on; something the HD twins haven't exactly received so very well this year. I think it's well apt to look back at the Wii and see just how it came to where it is now.

-

Where the Wii Succeeded: Bringing All Gamers to the Table

Yes, the Wii was and is widely known to be a casual friendly system--one that used to heavily critique the system for being too "childish" or "kiddy" for the supposed real gamers out there. The Wii succeeded in bringing the casual demographic and the non-gaming demographics to the table in rapid fashion to the point of downright hysteria. The Wii proved to be a huge success from 2006 through 2009 where it literally flew off the shelves. The system offered its fair share of gaming friendly titles to all forms of gamers, but it also showcased to be a great avenue for core gamers who enjoyed niche products and some of the most polished games around--looking at you Super Mario Galaxy.

Where the Wii Failed: Alienating Some Gamers

True, the Wii didn't have "it all" so this point is rather obvious in that Nintendo couldn't deliver a lot of core titles that released on the PC and HD Twins. Not because of different control schemes, but simply because the Wii's hardware was too lacking for these games to properly function. There's some exceptions to this as Dead Rising released on the Wii in an extrodinarily un-fun and limited experience but there's also some gems as well such as Tiger Woods PGA Tour which proved to be better on the Wii. Yes, the Xbox 360 and PS3 were largely the same experience wrapped up in different boxes but the Wii differentiated itself. It was different. This wasn't next-generation material, it was new generation material.

-

Where the Wii Succeeded: Strategy

Nintendo played its cards right in the beginning. The spread of word of mouth and putting Wii Sports in every system was brilliant. The craze spread like a Wild Fire as the Wiis flew off the shelves. Nintendo was brilliant in marketing as well making it a must-have product for the family, yet also riding on the craze-machine by perhaps milking the limited supply to increase demand. The best part of everything was that there was one SKU--the $249 Wii. It was the cheapest console out of the consoles, and it was the least confusing. Just how many SKUs have we seen for the Xbox 360? Arcade, Pro, Elite, S, and all the various Halo, Gears, Forza, Call of Duty, Star Wars Editions... the list goes on and on, and don't even get me started with the PS3 and it's new configuration setups every friggin' year.

Where the Wii Kind of Failed: Money

I'll be the first to admit that this generation just blatantly blew when it came to price drops. Only the PS3 has seen a significant cut from its original price point. The Xbox 360 has had some cuts but for the most part its remained stagnant in pricing for years. The Wii didn't receive a price drop for three full years which is mostly due to consumer demand, but even then, the PS2 which was hugely popular in the previous generation received price drops (so perhaps it's a case by case basis here and I'm reaching). Nintendo has also been known to not be to great on the wallet when it comes to its first party game pricing although they've tried to alleviate that by releasing Nintendo Selects. Even then, it hasn't been all that great and a lot of titles still remain relatively pricey for being so old (Brawl for example).

-

consolewars1.jpg

Where the Wii Dominated: Humbling the Competition

Nintendo last generation didn't exactly put up a system selling Gamecube that swept the other consoles off their feet, and instead lagged behind the PS2 and the Microsoft newcomer "Xbox." When a veteran of the industry gets beat by a noob in the console gaming world, that raises a red flag. Sony showcased a level of arrogance with their PS3 that was unprecedented for me, yet Nintendo came forth and humbled them. Microsoft and Sony focused on eachother, when they should have taken notice of the "Revolution" -- hell, even the gaming press discounted it. Everyone was humbled by Nintendo. Each foot was put in mouth as the Wii flew off the shelves and destroyed the Xbox 360 and PS3 in sales. That one year lead the Xbox 360 had was effectively meaningless in a matter of months.

Where the Wii Further Dominated: "We Want a Piece of that Action Too," says MS and Sony

Motion controls were a love-it or hate-it mantra. There was very litte in between here, and if you were a Microsoft fan, a PC gamer, or a Sony fan... odds were that you really didn't have much in your heart for motion gaming. First Sony tried to bring forth their SixAxis, a mechanic that was largely and quickly forgotton about entirely after it proved to be more of a hindrance than a benefit, and then in 2010 we saw the new "innovation" by Microsoft and Sony, each being Natal and Move respectively. Nintendo must have been flattered to see its largest competitors simply raise the white flag and admit the Wii had something going for it that the Xbox 360 and Playstation 3 obviously lacked. Microsoft largely succeeded in copying Nintendo's success with the Natal accessory (now named Kinect) where as Sony's Move device didn't exactly prove to be a large hit.

-

truestory.png

To Conclude...

Was the Wii the best console this generation?

According to the Gamespot metagame, that is a resounding "yes." There is little hope for either of the HD twins to catch up in that respect before this generation ends when the Wii U releases. Let's face it, the Wii had the exclusives and it had the sales so by all major accounts in SystemWars it simply won. But these two criteria don't exactly dictate a winner as, afterall, we did decide on "anarchy" being the supreme choice of the matter. So the best console simply boils down to the relativity of preference, and if you prefer the Playstation 3 or Xbox 360, there is no qualms about it. Just be mindful however, that Nintendo changed the generation in how it played its cards; whether or not it was for the better or worse, that's for you to decide.

I look forward to the Wii U and the benefits that will come from the tablet and motion gaming experience. While I hope they overhaul their online structure to at least be on par with or close to PSN, most of all, I hope they make it easy for consumers to get into a Wii U (only one SKU please) and make it easy to connect to friends (no friend codes, damn it). I also anxiously await Sony and Microsoft's response to the Wii U, and how they manage to replicate the motion gaming/tablet experience (because you know both of them are going to try this although Microsoft will undoubtedly try the hardest).

-

If you're still awake after reading this essay, I salute you. I also salute Nintendo as one of my most fond memories this generation still remains experiencing Resident Evil 4 (arguably one of the best games last generation) with Motion Controls effectively making an already brilliant game into a masterpiece.

-

So, dear SystemWariors, how will you remember the Wii? Did it succeed, or was a failure in your eyes?

Also, obligatory chart:

graph.jpg

-

inb4 tldr and no lifez.

N30F3N1X

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

#2 N30F3N1X
Member since 2009 • 8923 Posts

You just mad your console sucks.

free_milk

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 14

#3 free_milk
Member since 2011 • 3903 Posts

It didnt pc obviously dominated this generation.WII dosent even have a stable online system.

Avatar image for deactivated-57ad0e5285d73
deactivated-57ad0e5285d73

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#5 deactivated-57ad0e5285d73
Member since 2009 • 21398 Posts

It didnt pc obviously dominated this generation.WII dosent even have a stable online system.

free_milk
Pc business doesn't work the same as consoles. There isn't really a pc generation.
parkurtommo

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 23

#6 parkurtommo
Member since 2009 • 28295 Posts

Didn't read because TC is boring.

Stevo_the_gamer

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#7 Stevo_the_gamer  Moderator

free_milk
You are the 99% therefore you fail.
lundy86_4

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

#8 lundy86_4
Member since 2003 • 61488 Posts

Needs... More... Charts...:evil:

Stevo_the_gamer

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#9 Stevo_the_gamer  Moderator

lundy86_4
Don't want to saturate the OP though! Granted, now that I think about it, that chart should read entire OP and not entire thread. Oopsies.
SecretPolice

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#10 SecretPolice
Member since 2007 • 44083 Posts

It was teh Soccer moms to teh rescue. :twisted:

Anyhoo, I look at it this way, the HD twins split the console core audience sooo, if there had been only one of the HD consoles orrrr, lets say a 4th this gen console much like the Wii from say a Sega, Nintendo would have been in a world of hurt. :o

Woulda, coulda, shoulda but still... Just sayin. :P

Animal-Mother

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 11

#11 Animal-Mother
Member since 2003 • 27362 Posts

Stevo your love for charts reminds me of marshall on how I met your mother

favoritebars.jpg?w=500&h=298

m_machine024

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#12 m_machine024
Member since 2006 • 15874 Posts

Wow.... can't really desagree with anything in that post. Props.

I will remember the Wii as a console full of flaws and missed potential but with lots of great exclusives worth playing.

lundy86_4

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#13 lundy86_4
Member since 2003 • 61488 Posts

[QUOTE="lundy86_4"]

Stevo_the_gamer

Don't want to saturate the OP though! Granted, now that I think about it, that chart should read entire OP and not entire thread. Oopsies.

Lol, didn't notice that :P

Well, now you're making me read and i'm tired... Fiiiiiiiiiine!

jun_aka_pekto

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

#14 jun_aka_pekto
Member since 2010 • 25255 Posts

I'm guessing "sales" don't mean anything all of a sudden for non-Wii fans.

parkurtommo

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#15 parkurtommo

I don't get it, is this you trying to troll or something? There's nothing that will make anyone mad in there, it's just wrong...

Seriously stevo, given up on the lemminghood already?

SuperFlakeman

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#16 SuperFlakeman
Member since 2011 • 7411 Posts

You can see here HW/SW sales, attach rate (8.56) and operating income of all three hw manufacturers of the 7th gen.

nintendo-sales-image.jpg

Graph:

[spoiler]

[/spoiler]

Avatar image for deactivated-5d6bb9cb2ee20
deactivated-5d6bb9cb2ee20

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 56

#17 deactivated-5d6bb9cb2ee20
Member since 2006 • 82724 Posts
There were a lot of problems with the Wii, but to deny that the Wii totally humiliated both Microsoft and Sony this generation is to display a level of fanboyism that implies absolutely no intelligence level whatsoever. I agree with the part regarding Wii price cuts: the system is now six years old, its successor is about to be released, and it still retails for, what, $150? Totally unacceptable, especially considering the dated tech powering the system. Having said that, there was one area regarding price where the Wii succeeded, and that was game prices. Although Nintendo Selects was introduced a few years too late, and Nintendo really should drop the price on its games, retailing them for $50 was a great idea, I think. The Wii also failed entirely in the digital space. Nintendo's online strategy was clueless, Friend Codes sucked, WiiWare was mishandled, Virtual Console is criminally underutilized...
parkurtommo

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#18 parkurtommo

You can see here HW/SW sales, attach rate (8.56) and operating income of all three hw manufacturers of the 7th gen.

nintendo-sales-image.jpg

Graph:

[spoiler]

[/spoiler]

SuperFlakeman
Is that accurate? Microsoft am fail! :lol:

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#19 deactivated-5d6bb9cb2ee20
[QUOTE="SuperFlakeman"]

nintendo-sales-image.jpg

Graph:

[spoiler]

[/spoiler]

parkurtommo
Is that accurate? Microsoft am fail! :lol:

Well, Microsoft has only been in the business for ten years, lest you forget.
parkurtommo

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#20 parkurtommo
[QUOTE="charizard1605"]There were a lot of problems with the Wii, but to deny that the Wii totally humiliated both Microsoft and Sony this generation is to display a level of fanboyism that implies absolutely no intelligence level whatsoever. I agree with the part regarding Wii price cuts: the system is now six years old, its successor is about to be released, and it still retails for, what, $150? Totally unacceptable, especially considering the dated tech powering the system. Having said that, there was one area regarding price where the Wii succeeded, and that was game prices. Although Nintendo Selects was introduced a few years too late, and Nintendo really should drop the price on its games, retailing them for $50 was a great idea, I think. The Wii also failed entirely in the digital space. Nintendo's online strategy was clueless, Friend Codes sucked, WiiWare was mishandled, Virtual Console is criminally underutilized...

Humiliated? Money isn't everything, buddy.
Masenkoe

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 15

#21 Masenkoe
Member since 2007 • 4897 Posts

GOTTA WORK ON DAT SALEZ SONEY AND MICORSOFT

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#22 deactivated-5d6bb9cb2ee20
[QUOTE="parkurtommo"][QUOTE="charizard1605"]There were a lot of problems with the Wii, but to deny that the Wii totally humiliated both Microsoft and Sony this generation is to display a level of fanboyism that implies absolutely no intelligence level whatsoever. I agree with the part regarding Wii price cuts: the system is now six years old, its successor is about to be released, and it still retails for, what, $150? Totally unacceptable, especially considering the dated tech powering the system. Having said that, there was one area regarding price where the Wii succeeded, and that was game prices. Although Nintendo Selects was introduced a few years too late, and Nintendo really should drop the price on its games, retailing them for $50 was a great idea, I think. The Wii also failed entirely in the digital space. Nintendo's online strategy was clueless, Friend Codes sucked, WiiWare was mishandled, Virtual Console is criminally underutilized...

Market share. Retail records. Catching first and third parties totally off guard. Leaving Sony and Microsoft scrambling to come up with their own laughably poor Wii clones (Move and Kinect?) Sony and Microsoft were humiliated. Before this generation began, they weren't even considering Nintendo as competition, Nintendo was a non factor, a nonentity to them. The Wii was going to be a low selling novelty based toy, that's what all professionals, media, journalists and analysts were telling us, that's what Sony and Microsoft would have had us believe. Then the Wii actually released, leaving the PS3 in the dust, struggling, and overtaking the Xbox 360's 10 million unit lead in less than a year. That's called humiliation, my friend.They were humiliated, by a console that many liked to dismiss as just a toy (and many still do, judging by the posts here on System Wars).
SuperFlakeman

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#23 SuperFlakeman

Is that accurate? Microsoft am fail! :lol:parkurtommo

Well this post shows you don't know anything really.

It's the Xbox division.

Upward slope means they have been profitable for many years, they just didn't recoup the massive investment made with the first Xbox, the investment that made them rise above the Playstation brand. Xbox and its new Kinects is now bigger than Playstation home consoles.

Microsoft has been very, very successful in the gaming industry. Yes they have made mistakes aswell (Rare), but with high risk comes high reward, I'm very impressed by them as a company (even though I don't care for their 1st party output or the kind of games dominating on their platforms, never owned an Xbox)

parkurtommo

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#24 parkurtommo
[QUOTE="charizard1605"][QUOTE="parkurtommo"][QUOTE="charizard1605"]There were a lot of problems with the Wii, but to deny that the Wii totally humiliated both Microsoft and Sony this generation is to display a level of fanboyism that implies absolutely no intelligence level whatsoever. I agree with the part regarding Wii price cuts: the system is now six years old, its successor is about to be released, and it still retails for, what, $150? Totally unacceptable, especially considering the dated tech powering the system. Having said that, there was one area regarding price where the Wii succeeded, and that was game prices. Although Nintendo Selects was introduced a few years too late, and Nintendo really should drop the price on its games, retailing them for $50 was a great idea, I think. The Wii also failed entirely in the digital space. Nintendo's online strategy was clueless, Friend Codes sucked, WiiWare was mishandled, Virtual Console is criminally underutilized...

Market share. Retail records. Catching first and third parties totally off guard. Leaving Sony and Microsoft scrambling to come up with their own laughably poor Wii clones (Move and Kinect?) Sony and Microsoft were humiliated. Before this generation began, they weren't even considering Nintendo as competition, Nintendo was a non factor, a nonentity to them. The Wii was going to be a low selling novelty based toy, that's what all professionals, media, journalists and analysts were telling us, that's what Sony and Microsoft would have had us believe. Then the Wii actually released, leaving the PS3 in the dust, struggling, and overtaking the Xbox 360's 10 million unit lead in less than a year. That's called humiliation, my friend.They were humiliated, by a console that many liked to dismiss as just a toy (and many still do, judging by the posts here on System Wars).

Again money isn't everything, even if it sold well that doesn't change the fact that it is a family friendly toy.... Accessibility=sales, that's what the big three have learned this gen... Nintendo did a great job financially, but like in the OP they have alienated a lot of core gamers.
parkurtommo

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#25 parkurtommo

[QUOTE="parkurtommo"]Is that accurate? Microsoft am fail! :lol:SuperFlakeman

It's the Xbox division.

Upward slope means they have been profitable for many years, they just didn't recoup the massive investment made with the first Xbox, the investment that made them rise above the Playstation brand. Xbox and its new Kinects is now bigger than Playstation home consoles.

Microsoft has been very, very successful in the gaming industry. Yes they have made mistakes aswell (Rare), but with high risk comes high reward, I'm very impressed by them as a company (even though I don't care for their 1st party output or the kind of games dominating on their platforms, never owned an Xbox)

lol denying facts, Microsoft is failing, they're doomed! :lol:
SuperFlakeman

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#26 SuperFlakeman

There were a lot of problems with the Wii, but to deny that the Wii totally humiliated both Microsoft and Sony this generation is to display a level of fanboyism that implies absolutely no intelligence level whatsoever. I agree with the part regarding Wii price cuts: the system is now six years old, its successor is about to be released, and it still retails for, what, $150? Totally unacceptable, especially considering the dated tech powering the system. Having said that, there was one area regarding price where the Wii succeeded, and that was game prices. Although Nintendo Selects was introduced a few years too late, and Nintendo really should drop the price on its games, retailing them for $50 was a great idea, I think. The Wii also failed entirely in the digital space. Nintendo's online strategy was clueless, Friend Codes sucked, WiiWare was mishandled, Virtual Console is criminally underutilized... charizard1605

For $150 I think you get a pack in (MK, NSMBW, Resort)

King_Dodongo

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#27 King_Dodongo
Member since 2006 • 3759 Posts
The Wii was a success, nuff said.
parkurtommo

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#28 parkurtommo

GOTTA WORK ON DAT SALEZ SONEY AND MICORSOFT

Masenkoe

SANIC, SALEZ ARE DOING FINE BUT THEY DO NOT SOLD NOTHING LOLOL.

menes777

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#29 menes777
Member since 2003 • 2643 Posts

There were a lot of problems with the Wii, but to deny that the Wii totally humiliated both Microsoft and Sony this generation is to display a level of fanboyism that implies absolutely no intelligence level whatsoever. charizard1605

This, Ninty really came out of fighting and took down what are it's technologically superior competitors. Everyone laughed when Ninty claimed it would sell with innovation and not by trying to be technologically superior to the HD twins. Guess who was really laughing when Wii boxes were flying off the shelves, people were lined up in the stores just waiting to fight over the few that were shipped in and Ninty's sales figures going higher and higher?

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#30 deactivated-5d6bb9cb2ee20
[QUOTE="parkurtommo"][QUOTE="charizard1605"][QUOTE="parkurtommo"] Humiliated? Money isn't everything, buddy.

Again money isn't everything, even if it sold well that doesn't change the fact that it is a family friendly toy.... Accessibility=sales, that's what the big three have learned this gen... Nintendo did a great job financially, but like in the OP they have alienated a lot of core gamers.

Core gamers are a fickle bunch. There is no such thing as permanent alienation, they will all go where the games go. Hell, that was proven within the span of this generation itself, as all gamers first flocked to the Xbox, and then to the PS3. If the Wii is a toy, so is the PS3... It's just a mantoy, that's all. And duh, accessibility=sales. As if the enormous sales of Nintendo Software Pre this generation, or the PS and PS2 weren't proof enough of that.

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#31 deactivated-5d6bb9cb2ee20

[QUOTE="charizard1605"]There were a lot of problems with the Wii, but to deny that the Wii totally humiliated both Microsoft and Sony this generation is to display a level of fanboyism that implies absolutely no intelligence level whatsoever. I agree with the part regarding Wii price cuts: the system is now six years old, its successor is about to be released, and it still retails for, what, $150? Totally unacceptable, especially considering the dated tech powering the system. Having said that, there was one area regarding price where the Wii succeeded, and that was game prices. Although Nintendo Selects was introduced a few years too late, and Nintendo really should drop the price on its games, retailing them for $50 was a great idea, I think. The Wii also failed entirely in the digital space. Nintendo's online strategy was clueless, Friend Codes sucked, WiiWare was mishandled, Virtual Console is criminally underutilized... SuperFlakeman

Not an excuse, it should still be $99, AT MOST.
SuperFlakeman

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#32 SuperFlakeman

[QUOTE="SuperFlakeman"]

[QUOTE="parkurtommo"]Is that accurate? Microsoft am fail! :lol:parkurtommo

It's the Xbox division.

You used to be a serious poster? I mean why? Is what you are doing now "fun"? I don't get it. I know many Sony fanboys have gone batsht crazy and turned into joke accounts because they couldn't handle getting slaughtered daily, as opposed to honorably admit defeat and move on. I guess I'll add you to that pile of jokers.

parkurtommo

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#33 parkurtommo
[QUOTE="SuperFlakeman"]

[QUOTE="charizard1605"]There were a lot of problems with the Wii, but to deny that the Wii totally humiliated both Microsoft and Sony this generation is to display a level of fanboyism that implies absolutely no intelligence level whatsoever. I agree with the part regarding Wii price cuts: the system is now six years old, its successor is about to be released, and it still retails for, what, $150? Totally unacceptable, especially considering the dated tech powering the system. Having said that, there was one area regarding price where the Wii succeeded, and that was game prices. Although Nintendo Selects was introduced a few years too late, and Nintendo really should drop the price on its games, retailing them for $50 was a great idea, I think. The Wii also failed entirely in the digital space. Nintendo's online strategy was clueless, Friend Codes sucked, WiiWare was mishandled, Virtual Console is criminally underutilized... charizard1605

Not an excuse, it should still be $99, AT MOST.

10$ would be acceptable, barely.
parkurtommo

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#34 parkurtommo

[QUOTE="parkurtommo"][QUOTE="SuperFlakeman"]

It's the Xbox division.

SuperFlakeman

You used to be a serious poster? I mean why? Is what you are doing now "fun"? I don't get it. I know many Sony fanboys have gone batsht crazy and turned into joke accounts because they couldn't handle getting slaughtered daily, as opposed to honorably admit defeat and move on. I guess I'll add you to that pile of jokers.

I'm not like this in all threads just some :P Yes it is fun, and I'm more of a hermit now than a cow, so when I'm defending Sony it's mostly fun and games :p
Stevo_the_gamer

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#35 Stevo_the_gamer  Moderator

I'm not like this in all threads just some :P Yes it is fun, and I'm more of a hermit now than a cow, so when I'm defending Sony it's mostly fun and games :pparkurtommo
Never saw the entertainment in acting like a complete moron. But lots here do, tis' rather odd. :P

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#36 deactivated-5d6bb9cb2ee20
Stevo, I see you've joined the Game of Thrines cult as well :P Welcome aboard ;)
Stevo_the_gamer

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#37 Stevo_the_gamer  Moderator

There were a lot of problems with the Wii, but to deny that the Wii totally humiliated both Microsoft and Sony this generation is to display a level of fanboyism that implies absolutely no intelligence level whatsoever. I agree with the part regarding Wii price cuts: the system is now six years old, its successor is about to be released, and it still retails for, what, $150? Totally unacceptable, especially considering the dated tech powering the system. Having said that, there was one area regarding price where the Wii succeeded, and that was game prices. Although Nintendo Selects was introduced a few years too late, and Nintendo really should drop the price on its games, retailing them for $50 was a great idea, I think. The Wii also failed entirely in the digital space. Nintendo's online strategy was clueless, Friend Codes sucked, WiiWare was mishandled, Virtual Console is criminally underutilized... charizard1605
Ah, that is one thing I forgot to note--the standard pricing ordeal for games. Staying at the status quo instead of aritificially raising the price 10 USD. Definitely a good thing.

Avatar image for Lord_Omikron666
Lord_Omikron666

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

#38 Lord_Omikron666
Member since 2007 • 4838 Posts

Good post Stevo, it is unfortunate however that it will soon be taken over by Zlychop, darkdude and friends circlejerking stupidity as well as ispeakfact's poor attempts at trolling.

AtariKidX

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 13

#39 AtariKidX
Member since 2010 • 7156 Posts
Just curiosity......but we have learn our lesson.lol
Avatar image for deactivated-5d78760d7d740
deactivated-5d78760d7d740

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

#40 deactivated-5d78760d7d740
Member since 2009 • 16386 Posts

I didn't read any of it, but the chart looked nice.

Anyhow, the Wii isn't that good.

Avatar image for deactivated-5d78760d7d740
deactivated-5d78760d7d740

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

#41 deactivated-5d78760d7d740
Member since 2009 • 16386 Posts

[QUOTE="parkurtommo"] I'm not like this in all threads just some :P Yes it is fun, and I'm more of a hermit now than a cow, so when I'm defending Sony it's mostly fun and games :pStevo_the_gamer

Never saw the entertainment in acting like a complete moron. But lots here do, tis' rather odd. :P

Don't knock it till you try it :P.

Megavideogamer

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 12

#42 Megavideogamer
Member since 2004 • 6554 Posts

The Nintendo Wii only dominated in the total number of consoles sold in the 7th generation. 97.8 Million thus far Nintendo should make 2.3 million more Wii consoles then call it a generation. Final total will be 100.10 million Wii consoles sold. Giving them the Win in the 7th Generation Console race/Wars. Then switch over to make Wii U consoles

But Nintendo has the lowest game attach rate. Most people who bought the Wii were content with Wii Sports/Wii Sports Resort pack in games, Wii Play since it came with an extra controller. Wii fit, a Mario game and Zelda. Maybe dance central and that is about it. Casual gamers/families are not going to buy more than 5-7 games per console generation. So while the Wii sold very well the vast majority of games for the Wii did not. Most people didn't move beyond Wii Sports and a few other games.

Casual gamers do not buy 30 plus games. Which is the "average" for a regular gamer. Very few people amass collections of 100 plus games. I have over 100 games for Playstation 3. But I am in the Minority I have bought 120 PS3 games since launch. Not many of those 97.8 million people have bought that many games for their Wii consoles.

So the Wii sold the most consoles but to casual gamers/soccer moms/families/even non gamers such as those in old aged homes. But when it came to buying games for the Wii these people don't purchase lots of games. There is were the Wii didn't dominate.

120 games sounds like a lot but that is only 20 games per year since the PS3 launched. The Wii dominated in console sales but not game sales.

ChiefFreeman

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 16

#43 ChiefFreeman
Member since 2005 • 5667 Posts

It dominated this generation by being a casual cash cow machine that Moms, Dads, and the elderly would buy and play a few times, then be put away in the closet, never to be used again. That's why the Wii's hardware to software sales ratio is so pathetic. They would only play Wii sports.

Michael0134567

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 18

#44 Michael0134567
Member since 2008 • 28651 Posts

I read it and the Wii dominated the competition overall.

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#45 deactivated-5d6bb9cb2ee20

It dominated this generation by being a casual cash cow machine that Moms, Dads, and the elderly would buy and play a few times, then be put away in the closet, never to be used again. That's why the Wii's hardware to software sales ratio is so pathetic. They would only play Wii sports.

ChiefFreeman
The Wii has a hardware to software ratio of 1:8. That's hardly what I'd call pathetic.
Eddie-Vedder

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#46 Eddie-Vedder
Member since 2003 • 7810 Posts

Not even gonna bother reading, the Wii didn't dominate sh1t, Nintendo on the other hand made a ton of money.

The Wii is still the worst console this gen by a mile, and that's saying a lot in a generation of consoles with the nogamesbox 360.

Michael0134567

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#47 Michael0134567

Not even gonna bother reading, the Wii didn't dominate sh1t, Nintendo on the other hand made a ton of money.

The Wii is still the worst console this gen by a mile, and that's saying a lot in a generation of consoles with the nogamesbox 360.

Eddie-Vedder
Another fine fanboy.
Eddie-Vedder

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#48 Eddie-Vedder
Member since 2003 • 7810 Posts
[QUOTE="Eddie-Vedder"]

Michael0134567
Another fine fanboy.

We're all fanboys, I'm not the one thats in denial though.
RulerofGondor

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#49 RulerofGondor
Member since 2011 • 401 Posts

Eddie-Vedder

Aw, someone's butthurt his PS3 was caught with its pants down by a 'kiddy' console :lol:

Michael0134567

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#50 Michael0134567
[QUOTE="Michael0134567"][QUOTE="Eddie-Vedder"]

Eddie-Vedder
Another fine fanboy.

We're all fanboys, I'm not the one thats in denial though.

Except I'm not a fanboy.You just can't handle that your precious PS3 was dominated in several ways by the Wii :lol:.