How the Wii Mostly Dominated This Generation; WTFMYTIGTART Edition

• 169 results

This topic is locked from further discussion.

Threesixtyci

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

#51 Threesixtyci
Member since 2006 • 4451 Posts
Whatever... and Farmville is the most successful game of the century.
Bigboi500

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 10

#52 Bigboi500
Member since 2007 • 35550 Posts

Bravo old chap, bravo. *golf clap*

WiiCubeM1

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

#53 WiiCubeM1
Member since 2009 • 4735 Posts

Oh my god, it's nice to read an OP that didn't boil down to a Fanboy rant. That's always refreshing seeing how rare they're getting. I agree. The Wii was an experience. It's online was beyond primitive and the third-party was nearly non-existant, but the system could differentiate. It had that old Nintendo charm, the way I see it.

And to prove I read the whole thing, you mispelled SystemWarriors at the end.

ShuichiChamp24

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#54 ShuichiChamp24
Member since 2009 • 5014 Posts
Was a good read, thanks. RE4 and The Godfather were best played on the Wii.
DJ-Lafleur

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 9

#55 DJ-Lafleur
Member since 2007 • 35604 Posts

The Wii was obviously a success when it comes to sales and it beat out the PS3 and 360.

When it comes to games it's all down to preference of course, but the Wii had a decent library of games, from retail to the Virtual console/Wiiware. Whether or not it is the best console this gen is all up to the individual, but whatever the case it was still a good system with some great games.

Seabas989

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 11

#56 Seabas989
Member since 2009 • 13565 Posts

Eariler this gen I didn't think stevo would ever praise the Wii. :P

But yeah Nintendo clearly won in consoles and hendhelds. Still those gaming droughts sucked but at least it made me really get into PC gaming.

Avatar image for Stevo_the_gamer
Stevo_the_gamer

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 49

#57 Stevo_the_gamer  Moderator
Member since 2004 • 49568 Posts

Eariler this gen I didn't think stevo would ever praise the Wii. :P

But yeah Nintendo clearly won in consoles and hendhelds. Still those gaming droughts sucked but at least it made me really get into PC gaming.

Seabas989
lol. Still miss the old days where I endlessly debated with shino, bigboi, air_wolf_cubed, Harlock, Haziq, etc. Good times. At least back in the day, we trolled and debated with reason... fanboys today are just sad, and stupidly moronic to the point of over-the-top absurdity.
opex07

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#58 opex07
Member since 2007 • 2236 Posts

--------cut-------------------------

Where the Wii Succeeded: Bringing All Gamers to the Table

Yes, the Wii was and is widely known to be a casual friendly system--one that used to heavily critique the system for being too "childish" or "kiddy" for the supposed real gamers out there. The Wii succeeded in bringing the casual demographic and the non-gaming demographics to the table in rapid fashion to the point of downright hysteria. The Wii proved to be a huge success from 2006 through 2009 where it literally flew off the shelves. The system offered its fair share of gaming friendly titles to all forms of gamers, but it also showcased to be a great avenue for core gamers who enjoyed niche products and some of the most polished games around--looking at you Super Mario Galaxy.

Where the Wii Failed: Alienating Some Gamers

True, the Wii didn't have "it all" so this point is rather obvious in that Nintendo couldn't deliver a lot of core titles that released on the PC and HD Twins. Not because of different control schemes, but simply because the Wii's hardware was too lacking for these games to properly function. There's some exceptions to this as Dead Rising released on the Wii in an extrodinarily un-fun and limited experience but there's also some gems as well such as Tiger Woods PGA Tour which proved to be better on the Wii. Yes, the Xbox 360 and PS3 were largely the same experience wrapped up in different boxes but the Wii differentiated itself. It was different. This wasn't next-generation material, it was new generation material.

----------------cut-----------------------------------------

Stevo_the_gamer

You contradict yourself with these two paragraphs, but it should be quite clear that the Wii did a poor job at attracting a core audience, when looking at the sales of most core titles.

WiiCubeM1

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#59 WiiCubeM1

[QUOTE="Stevo_the_gamer"]

--------cut-------------------------

Where the Wii Succeeded: Bringing All Gamers to the Table

Yes, the Wii was and is widely known to be a casual friendly system--one that used to heavily critique the system for being too "childish" or "kiddy" for the supposed real gamers out there. The Wii succeeded in bringing the casual demographic and the non-gaming demographics to the table in rapid fashion to the point of downright hysteria. The Wii proved to be a huge success from 2006 through 2009 where it literally flew off the shelves. The system offered its fair share of gaming friendly titles to all forms of gamers, but it also showcased to be a great avenue for core gamers who enjoyed niche products and some of the most polished games around--looking at you Super Mario Galaxy.

Where the Wii Failed: Alienating Some Gamers

True, the Wii didn't have "it all" so this point is rather obvious in that Nintendo couldn't deliver a lot of core titles that released on the PC and HD Twins. Not because of different control schemes, but simply because the Wii's hardware was too lacking for these games to properly function. There's some exceptions to this as Dead Rising released on the Wii in an extrodinarily un-fun and limited experience but there's also some gems as well such as Tiger Woods PGA Tour which proved to be better on the Wii. Yes, the Xbox 360 and PS3 were largely the same experience wrapped up in different boxes but the Wii differentiated itself. It was different. This wasn't next-generation material, it was new generation material.

----------------cut-----------------------------------------

opex07

You contradict yourself with these two paragraphs, but it should be quite clear that the Wii did a poor job at attracting a core audience, when looking at the sales of most core titles.

The Wii's core titles sold poorly? Mario Galaxy and New Super Mario Bros Wii sold 35 million copies combined between the two.

Stevo_the_gamer

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#60 Stevo_the_gamer  Moderator

opex07

Context matters here. The Wii aimed at all three major groups; non gamer, casual and core. However, some of the core gamers were alienated because of the lack of the HD twin's multiplats. The core is still served, but some feel within that core wasn't good enough. That was essentially the point.

Avatar image for Chemical_Viking
Chemical_Viking

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

#61 Chemical_Viking
Member since 2010 • 2145 Posts

It dominated in sales. It dominated in sales because of the high quality exclusives. So that's why.

Avatar image for Chemical_Viking
Chemical_Viking

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#62 Chemical_Viking
Member since 2010 • 2145 Posts

[QUOTE="Eddie-Vedder"][QUOTE="Michael0134567"] Another fine fanboy.Michael0134567
We're all fanboys, I'm not the one thats in denial though.

Except I'm not a fanboy.You just can't handle that your precious PS3 was dominated in several ways by the Wii :lol:.

:lol:Too true.

glez13

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#63 glez13
Member since 2006 • 10310 Posts

The Wii is really an oddball that broke many rules in gaming.

In other gens the winner always had the most sales and a top games library. But this gen the Wii only had the sales.

AmnesiaHaze

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 13

#64 AmnesiaHaze
Member since 2008 • 5685 Posts

wii didnt have : fallout 3 , oblivion , skyrim , new vegas , bioshock 1 & 2 , mass effect series , dead space 1 & 2 , resident evil 5 , borderlands , arkham asylum & city , gta IV , saints row series , deus X human revolution , soul calibur 4 & 5 , crysis series , red dead redemption , street fighter/tekken , assasins creed series , FFXII 2 , max payne 3 , new mortal kombat , its just what comes to my mind theres lots more and im counting only multiplats of xbox/ps3

it won't have: borderlands 2 , assasins creed 3 , resident evil 6 , crysis 3 , far cry 3 , bioshock infinite , dead space 3 .... wait will it have any new games at all at this point ?

you may praise your wii as much as you want with sales and questionable exclusives , but it shouldnt be even compared to xbox or ps3 because of its unresponsive controls , lacking HD , worse sound quality , no online plattform which is worth mentioning , no patches and additional content (refering to the good ones) , and most importantly it didnt have the best games of this generation , in my opinion it should be disqualified from the gen because it didnt meet the minimal standards of it :D

the best games ive played on the wii were : zelda TP , okami , resident evil 4 which are all last gen ports , that speaks for itself

Michael0134567

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 18

#65 Michael0134567
Member since 2008 • 28651 Posts

[QUOTE="Michael0134567"][QUOTE="Eddie-Vedder"] We're all fanboys, I'm not the one thats in denial though. Chemical_Viking

Except I'm not a fanboy.You just can't handle that your precious PS3 was dominated in several ways by the Wii :lol:.

:lol:Too true.

Fanboys and their excuses :lol:.
locopatho

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#66 locopatho
Member since 2003 • 24259 Posts
I read all the OP :P As a gamer, I disagree. Wii is a disaster of a console, and is only defensible if you start with "Well I obviously also have a PC/360/PS3 for multiplats..." Otherwise you missed all the best 3rd party games this gen, which any gamer would be insane to do. Those crappy 7.0 exclusive games from D list devs don't cut it. The Wii vs either of the other two consoles can be summed up by my good friend The Batman: 360/PS3 both got Batman Arkham Asylum and Batman Arkham City, both AAA games and arguable GOTY contenders. The Wii got Batman: The Brave and The Bold, a 7.0 button bashing side scroller that is comparable to a typical Xbox Live Arcade game such as Castle Crashers or The Dishwasher. If you want to live in a world where Arkham Asylum and Arkham City "don't count" but a game like The Brave and the Bold is held up as a triumph, then go right ahead. Actual sane gamers won't :P
SuperFlakeman

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#67 SuperFlakeman
Member since 2011 • 7411 Posts

I read all the OP :P As a gamer, I disagree. Wii is a disaster of a console, and is only defensible if you start with "Well I obviously also have a PC/360/PS3 for multiplats..." Otherwise you missed all the best 3rd party games this gen, which any gamer would be insane to do. Those crappy 7.0 exclusive games from D list devs don't cut it. The Wii vs either of the other two consoles can be summed up by my good friend The Batman: 360/PS3 both got Batman Arkham Asylum and Batman Arkham City, both AAA games and arguable GOTY contenders. The Wii got Batman: The Brave and The Bold, a 7.0 button bashing side scroller that is comparable to a typical Xbox Live Arcade game such as Castle Crashers or The Dishwasher. If you want to live in a world where Arkham Asylum and Arkham City "don't count" but a game like The Brave and the Bold is held up as a triumph, then go right ahead. Actual sane gamers won't :Plocopatho

There is something wrong in your premise, just get an additional console, you are putting consoles on a pedestal. Say you own a 360, wtf is it so hard to pay $250 for 10+ amazing exclusives?

Your entire argument is highly theoretical, in reality it's not feasible for Nintendo, a gaming only company, to release a high end machine that has the capability to run PS3/360 multiplats (which people don't want in the first place looking at 3rd party sales on N64 and GC), for reasons we've been going through many times before.

It's either Wii or a meh system (like the GC) which would be the end of Nintendo home consoles. Nintendo tried that route dude, it doesn't work, they have tried story, cutscenes and voice acting in a 3D Mario game (Sunshine). Nintendo and western type of gaming doesn't get along very well.

The bottom line is Nintendo isn't trying to provide something that is comparable to the HD twins, they are giving consumers an alternative, both cheap and unique (until they copied), hence why most people recommend Wii60 or PSWii combo over PS360, You get one of the HD twins, and if Wii interests you, get it. It's not a question of, hmm, do I get Wii OR PS3 OR 360? That's, extremely put, like saying should I get an iPhone or an iPad, which is the better?! (they are different things to a degree)

WiiUnited

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#68 WiiUnited
Member since 2012 • 60 Posts
I greatly respect you, TC. You seem to be the only one here showing that he knows what he is talkin about. I also appreciate all the time you put into this thread, lets hope it pays off.
locopatho

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#69 locopatho

[QUOTE="locopatho"]I read all the OP :P As a gamer, I disagree. Wii is a disaster of a console, and is only defensible if you start with "Well I obviously also have a PC/360/PS3 for multiplats..." Otherwise you missed all the best 3rd party games this gen, which any gamer would be insane to do. Those crappy 7.0 exclusive games from D list devs don't cut it. The Wii vs either of the other two consoles can be summed up by my good friend The Batman: 360/PS3 both got Batman Arkham Asylum and Batman Arkham City, both AAA games and arguable GOTY contenders. The Wii got Batman: The Brave and The Bold, a 7.0 button bashing side scroller that is comparable to a typical Xbox Live Arcade game such as Castle Crashers or The Dishwasher. If you want to live in a world where Arkham Asylum and Arkham City "don't count" but a game like The Brave and the Bold is held up as a triumph, then go right ahead. Actual sane gamers won't :PSuperFlakeman

There is something wrong in your premise, just get an additional console, you are putting consoles on a pedestal. Say you own a 360, wtf is it so hard to pay $250 for 10+ amazing exclusives?

Your entire argument is highly theoretical, in reality it's not feasible for Nintendo, a gaming only company, to release a high end machine that has the capability to run PS3/360 multiplats (which people don't want in the first place looking at 3rd party sales on N64 and GC), for reasons we've been going through many times before.

It's either Wii or a meh system (like the GC) which would be the end of Nintendo home consoles. Nintendo tried that route dude, it doesn't work, they have tried story, cutscenes and voice acting in a 3D Mario game (Sunshine). Nintendo and western type of gaming doesn't get along very well.

The bottom line is Nintendo isn't trying to provide something that is comparable to the HD twins, they are giving consumers an alternative, both cheap and unique (until they copied), hence why most people recommend Wii60 or PSWii combo over PS360, You get one of the HD twins, and if Wii interests you, get it. It's not a question of, hmm, do I get Wii OR PS3 OR 360? That's, extremely put, like saying should I get an iPhone or an iPad, which is the better?! (they are different things to a degree)

You just explained why the Wii isn't a main gaming console... not to put words in your mouth, but you kinda sorta agree with me? I think the Wii is a great secondary, it's just there's no way it can go toe to toe against a PS3 or 360. To say the Wii is the best or it dominates, is to say it can stand alone. It really, really, can't...
comptonst88

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#70 comptonst88
Member since 2012 • 348 Posts

U know, the Wii might have won in overall console sales, but like other users have pointed out it has piss poor software sales. The only games that people played were Wii sports and Wii Fit. Basically when the novelty of the motion controls wore off nobody gave 2 sh!ts about the wii and the crappy software sales prove it.

WiiUnited

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#71 WiiUnited
Member since 2012 • 60 Posts

U know, the Wii might have won in overall console sales, but like other users have pointed out it has piss poor software sales. Hell the only games that people really played on the thing was wii sports or wii fit. Hell I still buy games and actively play games on my PS3 and 360, while our wii just sits in the back room collecting dust.

comptonst88
piss poor software sales? LOL WUT. Wii Sports says hi.
comptonst88

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#72 comptonst88
[QUOTE="comptonst88"]

U know, the Wii might have won in overall console sales, but like other users have pointed out it has piss poor software sales. Hell the only games that people really played on the thing was wii sports or wii fit. Hell I still buy games and actively play games on my PS3 and 360, while our wii just sits in the back room collecting dust.

WiiUnited

Yeah one game sold really well on it considering it was packaged with the damn console.
Avatar image for deactivated-5d78760d7d740
deactivated-5d78760d7d740

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

#73 deactivated-5d78760d7d740
Member since 2009 • 16386 Posts

[QUOTE="WiiUnited"][QUOTE="comptonst88"]

comptonst88

Yeah one game sold really well on it considering it was packaged with the damn console.

Dont mind him, he's just a delusional sheep seeking attention.

opex07

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#74 opex07

The Wii's core titles sold poorly? Mario Galaxy and New Super Mario Bros Wii sold 35 million copies combined between the two.

WiiCubeM1

I said most core titles, not all, but besides Nintendo's well known titles, most titles failed to make a splash in sales. Publishers have shown that they will go pretty far this generation to make some money, especially looking at Activision and EA, but most of them avoided making serious games for the Wii, due to the fact that the audience isnt really there, this will be the first time that a console with the most sales will have recieved the least amount of support.

Avatar image for deactivated-5d6bb9cb2ee20
deactivated-5d6bb9cb2ee20

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 56

#75 deactivated-5d6bb9cb2ee20
Member since 2006 • 82724 Posts
[QUOTE="WiiUnited"][QUOTE="comptonst88"]

comptonst88

Software attach rate of 1:8. I don't think that points to poor software sales by any standard.
ChubbyGuy40

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#76 ChubbyGuy40
Member since 2007 • 26442 Posts

wii didnt have : fallout 3 , oblivion , skyrim , new vegas , bioshock 1 & 2 , mass effect series , dead space 1 & 2 , resident evil 5 , borderlands , arkham asylum & city , gta IV , saints row series , deus X human revolution , soul calibur 4 & 5 , crysis series , red dead redemption , street fighter/tekken , assasins creed series , FFXII 2 , max payne 3 , new mortal kombat , its just what comes to my mind theres lots more and im counting only multiplats of xbox/ps3

it won't have: borderlands 2 , assasins creed 3 , resident evil 6 , crysis 3 , far cry 3 , bioshock infinite , dead space 3 .... wait will it have any new games at all at this point ?

you may praise your wii as much as you want with sales and questionable exclusives , but it shouldnt be even compared to xbox or ps3 because of its unresponsive controls , lacking HD , worse sound quality , no online plattform which is worth mentioning , no patches and additional content (refering to the good ones) , and most importantly it didnt have the best games of this generation , in my opinion it should be disqualified from the gen because it didnt meet the minimal standards of it :D

the best games ive played on the wii were : zelda TP , okami , resident evil 4 which are all last gen ports , that speaks for itself

AmnesiaHaze

It didn't need to. It missed out on multiplats, but the other consoles missed out on it's exclusives.

That's because a new console was announced last year. Support drops at that point. Those games are only coming to the current console market because Sony and MS are too damn stubborn to develop a new console.

Unresponsive controls comes from the developer, not the platform. Lacking HD isn't a big issue when so many games on consoles fail to even reach 720p. It's not worse sound quality, it's less channels since it only supports stereo. That's pretty much the only area Nintendo failed in this gen, but the 3DS shows they know what they're doing. Their games didn't need patching or DLC because they don't release broken and unfinished games like the other two do all the time. :D

That's says you didn't play enough Wii games. RE4 does beat most games this generation too.

comptonst88

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#77 comptonst88
[QUOTE="charizard1605"][QUOTE="comptonst88"][QUOTE="WiiUnited"] piss poor software sales? LOL WUT. Wii Sports says hi.

Software attach rate of 1:8. I don't think that points to poor software sales by any standard.

What games did people buy for the wii, maybe Mario Galaxy and Brawl but other than those 2 games software hardly sold on the wii.
locopatho

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#78 locopatho
[QUOTE="comptonst88"][QUOTE="charizard1605"][QUOTE="comptonst88"] Yeah one game sold really well on it considering it was packaged with the damn console.

What games did people buy for the wii, maybe Mario Galaxy and Brawl but other than those 2 games software hardly sold on the wii.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_best-selling_Wii_video_games Anything with "Wii" or "Mario" written on it sold best, also Zelda, Donkey Kong and some random 3rd party mingames and such.

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#79 deactivated-5d6bb9cb2ee20
[QUOTE="comptonst88"][QUOTE="charizard1605"][QUOTE="comptonst88"] Yeah one game sold really well on it considering it was packaged with the damn console.

There are more than 38 million sellers on the Wii, what the hell are you talking about?
crippled_ram

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#80 crippled_ram
Member since 2010 • 1583 Posts

Lol Wii

inb4uall

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#81 inb4uall
Member since 2012 • 6564 Posts

I READ TEH WHOLE FRIGGN' THING. Now do I get a cookie?:oops:

Also I agree with TC. The wii had sales, which I put little stock in but apperently maters a great deal to SW, and it also had the exclusives which are undenably what matters most. Not graphics or power. It's all about the Games and that is where the Wii dominated 1st party games.

comptonst88

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#82 comptonst88
[QUOTE="locopatho"][QUOTE="comptonst88"][QUOTE="charizard1605"] Software attach rate of 1:8. I don't think that points to poor software sales by any standard.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_best-selling_Wii_video_games Anything with "Wii" or "Mario" written on it sold best, also Zelda, Donkey Kong and some random 3rd party mingames and such.

My point exactly, the only games that sold marginally well were 1st party games. Most 3rd party games sucked on the wii compared to their HD counterparts.
D3dr0_0

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 232

#83 D3dr0_0
Member since 2008 • 3530 Posts
They dominated in sales and they have good exclusives like Super Mario Galaxy 1&2, Donkey Kong Country Returns, Metroid Prime 3, Skyward Sword, Xenoblade, The Last Strory, Tatsunoko vs Capcom and more.
opex07

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#84 opex07

[QUOTE="opex07"]

Stevo_the_gamer

Context matters here. The Wii aimed at all three major groups; non gamer, casual and core. However, some of the core gamers were alienated because of the lack of the HD twin's multiplats. The core is still served, but some feel within that core wasn't good enough. That was essentially the point.

When Nintendo cancelled games such as project HAMMER to put the developers on a more "expanded audience" early in the generation I believe it became quite clear that the core was not the target audience, but were put on the backburner. I will not argue that as a core gamer you could find something to play on the system, but to say that as a group they were served is pushing it. When looking at the Wii's library some genres are very lacking, and some almost non-existing, and if you did not enjoy Nintendo's style of games you were left with very little options, where as this is not the case with every other system available, where choices could be made amongst the core. The Wii was coined by many to be a secondary system because of this.
super600

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 5

#85 super600  Moderator
Member since 2007 • 33103 Posts

The Wii dominated in sales and exclusives and fanboys are the only ones that will deny this.

WiiCubeM1

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#86 WiiCubeM1

[QUOTE="charizard1605"][QUOTE="comptonst88"] Yeah one game sold really well on it considering it was packaged with the damn console.comptonst88

Mario Galaxy sold 10 million, Galaxy 2 sold 6 million, NSMBW sold 25 Million, Skyward Sword sold 3 million, Twilight Princess sold 6 1/2 million, Wii Sports Resort sold 30 million, Super Paper Mario sold 3 million, and Brawl Sold 11 million. Wii Sports beat them all with roughly 67 million copies sold, making it the best selling game of all time, even more than Super Mario Bros.

For comparison, the 3 best selling games on the PS3 were all Call of Duty titles, then GTAIV, then the best selling first-party title, Gran Tursimo 5. They sold 12, 11, 10,9, and 7 million (respectively).

The best selling 360 titles were Kinect Adventures (So the casual argument goes to you to, lems) with 16 million, then MW3, BO, and MW2, each selling 14, 13, and 12 million respectively, and then Halo 3 with 11 1/2 million.

I didn't put this up for any specific reason, just laying the numbers out there. Do what you people will with them.

mariokart64fan

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 101

User Lists: 1

#87 mariokart64fan
Member since 2003 • 20828 Posts

the wii dominated by

1 selling the most -to a company this is what matters most-profitability

2 -a steller line up of awsome killer first party and improved third party support- compared to n64 gc ,

3 it was the family system , pure fact and it is for fact number 2 and 3 , that the wii is my 3rd favorite platform of all time which this top 5 list is

1-snes

2 nes

3 wii

4 ps1

5 n64/xbox tie

Kuromino

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: -2

User Lists: 9

#88 Kuromino  Moderator
Member since 2009 • 1602 Posts

Had to check the bets list to make sure this wasn't a punishment or something. =P

Anyway, no arguments here. Nintendo did really well this generation, especially when you take the DS into consideration. Surprised to say this, but I've actually enjoyed the exclusives the Wii has offered more than what has been offered on the PS3 and 360.

Stevo_the_gamer

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#89 Stevo_the_gamer  Moderator
[QUOTE="Stevo_the_gamer"]

[QUOTE="opex07"]

opex07

When Nintendo cancelled games such as project HAMMER to put the developers on a more "expanded audience" early in the generation I believe it became quite clear that the core was not the target audience, but were put on the backburner. I will not argue that as a core gamer you could find something to play on the system, but to say that as a group they were served is pushing it. When looking at the Wii's library some genres are very lacking, and some almost non-existing, and if you did not enjoy Nintendo's style of games you were left with very little options, where as this is not the case with every other system available, where choices could be made amongst the core. The Wii was coined by many to be a secondary system because of this.

No, I would say Nintendo reached out to all types of gamers. Did they heavily focus on the casual and nongamer? Yes, but "core gaming" wasn't thrown aside as the Wii still received a lot of great games, some very niche titles and others which proved to be exceptional. The Wii was coined a secondary system because it was exceptionally different compared to the HD Twins; PS3 and Xbox 360 have largely been the same damn thing but the Wii proved to differentiate itself.
Stevo_the_gamer

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#90 Stevo_the_gamer  Moderator

Had to check the bets list to make sure this wasn't a punishment or something. =P

Anyway, no arguments here. Nintendo did really well this generation, especially when you take the DS into consideration. Surprised to say this, but I've actually enjoyed the exclusives the Wii has offered more than what has been offered on the PS3 and 360.

Kuromino

I haven't made a SW topic in a long time, figured I'd draw something up worth discussing. Something that hopefully wouldn't turn into mindless drivel thanks to the bovine. :P

illmatic87

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 564

#91 illmatic87
Member since 2008 • 17935 Posts
Hey Stevo, did the Wii have Skyrim or New Vegas?
opex07

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#92 opex07
[QUOTE="Stevo_the_gamer"] No, I would say Nintendo reached out to all types of gamers. Did they heavily focus on the casual and nongamer? Yes, but "core gaming" wasn't thrown aside as the Wii still received a lot of great games, some very niche titles and others which proved to be exceptional. The Wii was coined a secondary system because it was exceptionally different compared to the HD Twins; PS3 and Xbox 360 have largely been the same damn thing but the Wii proved to differentiate itself.

For the most part the titles that stood out on the Wii were just further iterations from previous Nintendo systems, It was just Nintendo being Nintendo, the only real differentiation that occurred specifically for the Wii was its lack of power to play multiplats and the small core audience that didn't really justify 3rd party support, I wouldn't say this is really a plus, and the secondary term is only used because the Wii can't really stand on its own when it comes to core gaming, if it could stand on its own it wouldn't matter on how different it was you wouldn't need another system to go along with it, hence the term being used in a negative fashion.
Jethawk11

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#93 Jethawk11
Member since 2011 • 296 Posts
The Wii didn't win anything, except for maybe the award for most gimmicky games.
rjdofu

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#94 rjdofu
Member since 2008 • 9171 Posts

Console sales wise, it straight up ANNIHILATE competitors. Games wise, it's at the bottom of the trash bin.

Btw,

25SLD.gif

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#95 deactivated-5d6bb9cb2ee20
The Wii didn't win anything, except for maybe the award for most gimmicky games. Jethawk11
Why you mad, though?
Sushiglutton

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 7

#96 Sushiglutton
Member since 2009 • 9853 Posts
The wii didn't win in exclusives. Games are rated relative the platform and wii clearly has lower standards. Ps3 exclusives are talke about all the time, while thed wii ones are hardly mentioned on the interwebz.
Avatar image for deactivated-609eda8a7edd0
deactivated-609eda8a7edd0

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#97 deactivated-609eda8a7edd0
Member since 2012 • 1173 Posts
The Wii was a runaway success this generation and Microsoft and Sony should be kicking themselves that they didn't do a similar (but possibly more effective) approach much sooner in the generation. Of course the Wii lacks in many areas but when you look at the areas that it did well it did them very well. "Core" gamers can moan all day about how it didn't cater to there every need but if all you want out of gaming is power and graphics then you have a very slim view of the gaming world. The Wii is far from the greatest console in existence but for me it has been a console that I have had the most fun on. Before the Wii it was rare to non-existent that me and the family or friends would gather in a room and all play on a console together and enjoy doing it. The Wii gave a new approach to gaming and opened up many doors that former consoles didn't think would work, as soon as Microsoft and Sony saw that Nintendo was leaving in them in there dust they jumped on the wagon in a flash and now you see both consoles trying to drag in what is left of the casual market. To be it simply...Wii = Gen 7 King.
Inconsistancy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#98 Inconsistancy
Member since 2004 • 8094 Posts

Graphs of Nintendo's "winning" (Microsoft is on the left)

google_finace_ms_10yrgoogle_finance_nintendo_10yr

Bigboi500

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 10

#99 Bigboi500
Member since 2007 • 35550 Posts

The wii didn't win in exclusives. Games are rated relative the platform and wii clearly has lower standards. Ps3 exclusives are talke about all the time, while thed wii ones are hardly mentioned on the interwebz. Sushiglutton
That bullsh*t excuse has been debunked by the admins and ToU. Try harder.

Sushiglutton

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 7

#100 Sushiglutton
Member since 2009 • 9853 Posts

[QUOTE="Sushiglutton"]The wii didn't win in exclusives. Games are rated relative the platform and wii clearly has lower standards. Ps3 exclusives are talke about all the time, while thed wii ones are hardly mentioned on the interwebz. Bigboi500

That bullsh*t excuse has been debunked by the admins and ToU. Try harder.

Link?