Gamestar: Ryse , Sales terrible . Crytek to go bankrupt .?

• 161 results
Cloud_imperium

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 103

User Lists: 8

#51  Edited By Cloud_imperium
Member since 2013 • 15146 Posts
@EducatingU_PCMR said:

That's what happens when you abandon your primary market and start making console games.

But the Master Race is forgiving, and we would be glad to receive another PC exclusive title in order to make you prosperous again, Crytek.

At least , Epic learned their lesson . Can't wait for Unreal Tournament .

quickposter

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

#52 quickposter
Member since 2010 • 1735 Posts

These new consoles haven't even been out 1 year yet. Sony have had tonnes of layoffs and already a studio is on the verge of bankruptcy.

Iwata said that graphics will come back to bite people in the butt and nobody would believe him. Do you believe him now as more studios shrink into nothingness?

scatteh316

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#53 scatteh316
Member since 2004 • 10273 Posts

Crytek got too big for there own boots, started over charging and now it's caught up to them, meanwhile there competition ( EPIC ) is licensing it's engine at very reasonable price point.

And I think we all knew that Rhyse would not sell well on Xbone, it's not selling. If they released it on PS4 as a launch title not only would 1080p with a more stable frame rate been more then likely they would of sold more copies too.

But is a port to PS4 out the window or could it happen?

R4gn4r0k

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

#54 R4gn4r0k
Member since 2004 • 46292 Posts

Oh crytek. I always feel sorry for people who lose their jobs. But the way they been acting, so arrogantly, I really can't feel sorry for Crytek.

"Crysis didn't make enough money, PC gamers pirated it to death"

Meanwhile they opened 2 new studios and bought 2 other studios with the profits from Crysis 1

"We're done with Crysis, Free-to-play games are the future"

Turns out free-to-play games don't make them the money they thought it would.

silversix_

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#55 silversix_
Member since 2010 • 26347 Posts

What were they expecting from Ryse? Since the first release of X1 footage and the announcement of executions happening automatically this game was laughed at by everyone with half a brain. Not only that but they've made one of the most linear and probably the most linear next gen experience with zero replay value. Ryse is not a bad game. Ryse is the definition of shit.

Cloud_imperium

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#56  Edited By Cloud_imperium

@R4gn4r0k said:

Oh crytek. I always feel sorry for people who lose their jobs. But the way they been acting, so arrogantly, I really can't feel sorry for Crytek.

Meanwhile they opened 2 new studios and bought 2 other studios with the profits from Crysis 1

Totally agree man .

aroxx_ab

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#57 aroxx_ab
Member since 2005 • 13236 Posts

@darkspineslayer said:

Nothing of value (would be) lost that day.

I simply cannot respect a studio that puts visuals before everything else, and would argue for taking gameplay out of a game.

This

chaplainDMK

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#58  Edited By chaplainDMK
Member since 2008 • 7004 Posts

@R4gn4r0k said:

Pretty much.

Crytek could have been PC's poster-boy, it certainly was with the original Crysis. Now they just dumb their games down so they can fit them on consoles. Also wasting your engines potential, well whatever.

GJ Crytek, you had a good run, but you done fu**** it up.

DirkXXVI

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 12

#59  Edited By DirkXXVI
Member since 2008 • 498 Posts

Does anyone know if the CryEngine is considered difficult to program for?

gpuking

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#60 gpuking
Member since 2004 • 3914 Posts

They should remaster Crysis trilogy on nextgen consoles and that's instant cash for the company. Investing more on f2p bullshit is just a total waste of resources and talent. Again, maybe do an exclusive for the PS4 since it has much bigger user base than the Bone.

OhSnapitz

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#61  Edited By OhSnapitz
Member since 2002 • 19282 Posts

"But what has happened and the team is facing this major financial issues? According to Yerli, there were “dramatized rumors” from disgruntled ex-employers, something that obviously had a negative impact to Crytek’s public image. Additionally, Crytek has more than 800 employees (a number so huge that explains the company’s possible financial issues). Moreover, Gamestar reported that salaries were paid late and leading employees were sending applications to other studios at home and abroad. And if that wasn’t enough, Warface was only successful in Russia and Crytek’s G-face platform was a big flop."

So disgruntled employees shitting on the companies public image.. is the console's fault.

So having over 800 employees for a company with a small catalog.. is the console's fault.

So not paying employees on time.. which caused them to seek employment elsewhere.. is the consoles fault.

So a FTP PC game supposedly flopping.. is the consoles fault.

Ok Herms.. it's time you guys stopped smoking that sh!t

DefconRave

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 40

#62 DefconRave
Member since 2013 • 806 Posts

LOL, I was wondering why they started selling Cryengine licenses on Steam recently. Anyway Crytek you won't be missed, fantastic visuals, sh*t everything else.

Gaming-Planet

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 14

#64 Gaming-Planet
Member since 2008 • 21064 Posts

That's what you get for selling out to consoles.

chaplainDMK

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#65 chaplainDMK
Member since 2008 • 7004 Posts

@geniobastardo said:

@chaplainDMK said:

@R4gn4r0k said:

Pretty much.

Crytek could have been PC's poster-boy, it certainly was with the original Crysis. Now they just dumb their games down so they can fit them on consoles. Also wasting your engines potential, well whatever.

GJ Crytek, you had a good run, but you done fu**** it up.

agreed 100%. Crytek should have remained a PC exclusive company. Their greed brought them their destruction.

I'm not saying that they should have stayed PC exclusive, but by all accounts Crysis should have stayed on PC only and improved on the original. Crysis had a very good balance of linearity and openness, and it always felt as though you had a choice on how you want to engage enemies. It was mainly brought down by the convoluted story and a slight lack in weapon and enemy variety. The sequels only addressed the weapon variety while removing most of the openness and far reducing your engagement options.

Crysis 2 and 3 should have been just as open if not more, should have included more destructible environments and expanded the suits options, not dumbing it down to basically being power-armor with a cloak function.

DEadliNE-Zero0

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 5

#66 DEadliNE-Zero0
Member since 2014 • 6607 Posts

@Cloud_imperium said:

Crytek had huge potential . It's sad that they forgot about their roots and started to make linear corridor shooters for the masses .

Original Crysis was such an amazing game . Same goes for Warhead .

This. Original Crysis is still highly rated because of it's visual and tech for the game, along side being an awesome game.

If i remember correctly, the porblem was most people couldn't even run it, much less scale it. So, sales where low. Crytek blames piracy, goes to consoles, make Crysis, and their other games, all about graphics, and they sell low. Shocker.

On the other hand, Far Cry, Crysis brother series, continued to focus on the open world gameplay, and it's bigger than ever.

If don't even mind Crytek wanting to focus on consoles too. It's just sad where their development strategies have gone.

Also, Imperium, can't wait for UT aswell. I'm hoping the team delivers.

R4gn4r0k

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#68 R4gn4r0k
Member since 2004 • 46292 Posts

@Cloud_imperium said:

Totally agree man .

@chaplainDMK said:

@geniobastardo said:

agreed 100%. Crytek should have remained a PC exclusive company. Their greed brought them their destruction.

I'm not saying that they should have stayed PC exclusive, but by all accounts Crysis should have stayed on PC only and improved on the original. Crysis had a very good balance of linearity and openness, and it always felt as though you had a choice on how you want to engage enemies. It was mainly brought down by the convoluted story and a slight lack in weapon and enemy variety. The sequels only addressed the weapon variety while removing most of the openness and far reducing your engagement options.

Crysis 2 and 3 should have been just as open if not more, should have included more destructible environments and expanded the suits options, not dumbing it down to basically being power-armor with a cloak function.

Yep, greed is the correct word.

Crysis was very lucrative for them. The company they are now is partly thanks to the profits they made from Far Cry and Crysis.

But it wasn't enough for them. They saw the big money that console gaming could offer and abandoned their fans. They called their fans pirates and they dumbed down the crysis series with Crysis 2.

Same thing happened with Microsoft. They had a good thing going when they made PC games. They got greedy and wanted more (especially royalties) and now they have an Xbox devision that hasn't been profitable over the long run...

FoxbatAlpha

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#69 FoxbatAlpha
Member since 2009 • 10669 Posts

@darkspineslayer: have you ever sat down and played Ryse or just played it at a kiosk?

Effec_Tor

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

#70 Effec_Tor
Member since 2014 • 914 Posts

@clyde46 said:

Crytek should just go back to making PC games.

This.. ever since they started making console games Crytek begun to really suck.

Avatar image for GrenadeLauncher
GrenadeLauncher

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#71 GrenadeLauncher
Member since 2004 • 6843 Posts

Good. Crytek hasn't made a game since Far Cry. Homefront 2 will be the final nail in the coffin.

misterpmedia

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#72 misterpmedia
Member since 2013 • 6209 Posts

lmfao Ryse must have been a train wreck and sold like absolute shit.

If anyone was hoping for a Ryse sequel then I would think twice.

Lucky for you though there's a sequel to 300 called 300: Rise of an Empire, you could just watch that as it's pretty much like playing the game. Lems hate movie games too.

trasherhead

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 6

#74 trasherhead
Member since 2005 • 3058 Posts

Maybe if they made the engine a bit easier to get into and user friendly like Unity3d and Unreal4 it would boost adoption among the indies.

cainetao11

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 77

User Lists: 1

#75  Edited By cainetao11
Member since 2006 • 38036 Posts

@Locutus_Picard said:

@cainetao11 said:

@Shewgenja said:

Xbone destroying studios I see.

lol, yeah its the consoles fault the game received mediocre to bad scores

It was a Kinect game in origin, so yes Kinect destroys devs. Look at major layoffs very recently at Harmonix & Rare; two big Kinect devs.

Was it a Kinect game at release? It was a shallow hack n slash. That's pure blame game, cop out crap. All I ever hear is Crytek games have crap gameplay, but now its because of X1 and Kinect? Make up your mind folks. It is 6-6.5 game at best, people didn't buy it because of the reviews.

tormentos

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#76 tormentos
Member since 2003 • 33784 Posts

@mems_1224 said:

@darkspineslayer said:

Nothing of value (would be) lost that day.

I simply cannot respect a studio that puts visuals before everything else, and would argue for taking gameplay out of a game.

damn, you must hate Naughty Dog then.

TLOU 95 Meta.

Ryse 60..

Even going by gamespot...

TLOU 8

Ryse 4...

That butthurt that sweet sweet butthurt ...hahaha

cainetao11

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#77  Edited By cainetao11

@Shewgenja said:

@cainetao11 said:

@Shewgenja said:

Actually, it is. It was originally going to be a Kinect title, remember? XBox fans having selective memory problems today.

As I answered the other one who used that crap. Was it a Kinect title? I don't care what it was conceived as, what did it release as? All people say is Crytek games have shit gameplay, but in this case its all X1 and kinect's fault? So put that mediocre hack n slash as it is on a PS4 disc and the game is an 8/10? And you hating MS has nothing to do with you r views at all right LOL

Avatar image for deactivated-5acbb9993d0bd
deactivated-5acbb9993d0bd

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#78 deactivated-5acbb9993d0bd
Member since 2012 • 12449 Posts

Crytek make good engines.... but not good games... how far cry 1 even got a 9 is beyond me.... oh right.. like most games on critic reviews... graphics.... Crysis 1 9.5? reptitive and s*it designed multiplayer...

sound familiar *cough uncharted cough*

handssss

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#79 handssss
Member since 2013 • 1907 Posts

@cainetao11 said:

@Shewgenja said:

@cainetao11 said:

@Shewgenja said:

Actually, it is. It was originally going to be a Kinect title, remember? XBox fans having selective memory problems today.

As I answered the other one who used that crap. Was it a Kinect title? I don't care what it was conceived as, what did it release as? All people say is Crytek games have shit gameplay, but in this case its all X1 and kinect's fault? So put that mediocre hack n slash as it is on a PS4 disc and the game is an 8/10? And you hating MS has nothing to do with you r views at all right LOL

they blew tons of money making first person Kinect on rails garbage for the 360 and then changed it at some point in the development to a crappy linear third person brawler for the xbone that still had pointless Kinect integration. The fault of the console is more like the fault of MS and Kinect. this was a game designed to showcase the usefulness of that peripheral and after all the backlash and whatnot, it failed to be even that because A. it was no longer a game centered around kinect by the time it finally launched. and b. because it just wasn't a good game.

cainetao11

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#80 cainetao11

@handssss said:

@cainetao11 said:

@Shewgenja said:

@cainetao11 said:

@Shewgenja said:

they blew tons of money making first person Kinect on rails garbage for the 360 and then changed it at some point in the development to a crappy linear third person brawler for the xbone that still had pointless Kinect integration. The fault of the console is more like the fault of MS and Kinect. this was a game designed to showcase the usefulness of that peripheral and after all the backlash and whatnot, it failed to be even that because A. it was no longer a game centered around kinect by the time it finally launched. and b. because it just wasn't a good game.

Yeah no. Seeing some rationalization here and a lack of responsibility on the developer, and excuses being made for them. Hating MS is the cool thing so they catch the blame. Got it. When devs don't make a game up to snuff on PS its "lazy devs" when on Xbox its X1 and kinects fault, right.

handssss

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#81 handssss
Member since 2013 • 1907 Posts

@cainetao11 said:

@handssss said:

@cainetao11 said:

@Shewgenja said:

@cainetao11 said:

@Shewgenja said:

Yeah no. Seeing some rationalization here and a lack of responsibility on the developer, and excuses being made for them. Hating MS is the cool thing so they catch the blame. Got it. When devs don't make a game up to snuff on PS its "lazy devs" when on Xbox its X1 and kinects fault, right.

you want me to hate on the dev? cause I certainly can. Crytek has been shit since after they did make that first crysis. As mentioned, they bought the devs of timespillters just to do jack shit with it. They were the ones that got into some shitty contract with MS for a shitty Kinect game back when it was still just project natal. Like I said though, they were supposed to be poster boys for the stupid device by actually suceeding in making some core game for it and that plan failed before the game even launched.

I don't care honestly if it was just another 180 from MS to do that or if they themselves had the power to pull the plug on that horrible idea and at least try to make it a normal game, but it hardly matters. Time and money was wasted which leads us to this predicament now.

Shewgenja

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#82  Edited By Shewgenja
Member since 2009 • 21456 Posts

@cainetao11 said:

You're right. All Major nelson had to do was unflip the switch. We stand totally corrected. There's no way this game stayed in Development Hell and made any worse by a complete change in game mechanic philosophy.

Is this the kind of mental loops you need to untie to be a lem?

GarGx1

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

#83 GarGx1
Member since 2011 • 10934 Posts

Sony and Microsoft push the life term of old consoles to beyond reasonable and then both replace the old consoles with weak new models. Which means for their customer base to get the graphical advancements they demand, developers need to compromise their games else where i.e. simplified gameplay, narrow and small environments, reduced scale, reduced resolution and reduced frame rate.

So who's to blame for games looking good and playing like crap? That's easy, unreasonable and demanding console gamers swallowing marketing bs from the console manufacturers, who lead their consumers to believe their plastic boxes are far more capable than they are. Developers are left to flounder while trying to match the manufacturers promises.

This situation will only worsen as this console generation matures and the already weak consoles fail to keep up.

It would be a real shame for Crytek to go out of business. Cryengine is one of the best in the world today and is fully modular to keep up with the ever advancing technology. With it they've come closer than any other developer to not needing to re-invent the wheel every few years.

B4X

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#84 B4X
Member since 2014 • 5660 Posts

Quality of games hurt Crytek. Graphics does not = win.

Gameplay = win.

They need to bring in some fresh ideas / people that know how to tell a story. Crytek needs to listen and abide by their set piece rules with their amazing graphics.

If they can do that. Well..... They might make a game that pulls them from the brink.

delta3074

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

#85 delta3074
Member since 2007 • 20003 Posts

@Shewgenja said:

This has F all to do with the Xbone and you know it, it has to do with Cryteks games mostly being Graphics heavy tech demo's.

Shewgenja

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#86 Shewgenja

@delta3074 said:

@Shewgenja said:

This has F all to do with the Xbone and you know it, it has to do with Cryteks games mostly being Graphics heavy tech demo's.

See also:

Originally a 360 Kinect title.

delta3074

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#87 delta3074
@ReadingRainbow4 said:

@Shewgenja said:

A family tradition it seems. I hope Insomniac isn't next.

how so? Bungie did really well with MS and Rare had already lost all there talent before MS even bought them

Hint: Rares best Devs left to form Free radical Before MS bought them out.

Don't just make blanket statements, back them up dude.

delta3074

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#88 delta3074

@Shewgenja said:

@delta3074 said:

@Shewgenja said:

See also:

Originally a 360 Kinect title.

Some kinect games sell really well so i don't see your point.

cainetao11

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#89 cainetao11

@handssss said:

@cainetao11 said:

@handssss said:

@cainetao11 said:

@Shewgenja said:

@cainetao11 said:

@Shewgenja said:

you want me to hate on the dev? cause I certainly can. Crytek has been shit since after they did make that first crysis. As mentioned, they bought the devs of timespillters just to do jack shit with it. They were the ones that got into some shitty contract with MS for a shitty Kinect game back when it was still just project natal. Like I said though, they were supposed to be poster boys for the stupid device by actually suceeding in making some core game for it and that plan failed before the game even launched.

I don't care honestly if it was just another 180 from MS to do that or if they themselves had the power to pull the plug on that horrible idea and at least try to make it a normal game, but it hardly matters. Time and money was wasted which leads us to this predicament now.

Gamble is a part of business and unless someone can post proof that it was MS that demanded they stop developing for Kinect, and make it a regular game, the losing gamble falls on the gambler, Crytek. Many on this board makes it like X1 is guilty before any burden of proof though.

Cloud_imperium

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#90 Cloud_imperium

@geniobastardo said:

@R4gn4r0k said:

@Cloud_imperium said:

Totally agree man .

@chaplainDMK said:

@geniobastardo said:

Yep, greed is the correct word.

Crysis was very lucrative for them. The company they are now is partly thanks to the profits they made from Far Cry and Crysis.

But it wasn't enough for them. They saw the big money that console gaming could offer and abandoned their fans. They called their fans pirates and they dumbed down the crysis series with Crysis 2.

Same thing happened with Microsoft. They had a good thing going when they made PC games. They got greedy and wanted more (especially royalties) and now they have an Xbox devision that hasn't been profitable over the long run...

The first Crysis and Far cry sell like sweet bean bread in a japanese lunch break. They should have learnt what they are best at at that moment. They could have been the Naughty Dogs of PC gaming. Poor Crytek.

I agree with all of you . It's a sad truth .

cainetao11

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#91  Edited By cainetao11

@Shewgenja said:

@cainetao11 said:

You're right. All Major nelson had to do was unflip the switch. We stand totally corrected. There's no way this game stayed in Development Hell and made any worse by a complete change in game mechanic philosophy.

Are you going to post documented proof or is this classic cow, guilty with no need of proof because its not Sony?

EDIT:

Interview: Crytek on Ryse's rise to Xbox One launch title

By Will Freeman

November 28th 2013 at 3:45PM

Here's an interview I found. Sounds like they had little trouble. First glimpse of what would become Ryse was shown at E3 2011. So 2-3 years is "stayed in development hell"?

Cloud_imperium

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#92 Cloud_imperium
@DirkXXVI said:

Does anyone know if the CryEngine is considered difficult to program for?

I heard , it's a bit tricky to work on CryEngine compared to other engines but results are spectacular .

TheFadeForever

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#93  Edited By TheFadeForever
Member since 2013 • 2655 Posts

Should have stuck with making pc games and build up a loyal fanbase including a dedicated modding community.

Cloud_imperium

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#94 Cloud_imperium
@deadline-zero0 said:

@Cloud_imperium said:

Crytek had huge potential . It's sad that they forgot about their roots and started to make linear corridor shooters for the masses .

Original Crysis was such an amazing game . Same goes for Warhead .

This. Original Crysis is still highly rated because of it's visual and tech for the game, along side being an awesome game.

If i remember correctly, the porblem was most people couldn't even run it, much less scale it. So, sales where low. Crytek blames piracy, goes to consoles, make Crysis, and their other games, all about graphics, and they sell low. Shocker.

On the other hand, Far Cry, Crysis brother series, continued to focus on the open world gameplay, and it's bigger than ever.

If don't even mind Crytek wanting to focus on consoles too. It's just sad where their development strategies have gone.

Also, Imperium, can't wait for UT aswell. I'm hoping the team delivers.

Crysis didn't bring money faster like other games because of it being too demanding and not so optimized but people started to upgrade their rigs and came back to it . Warhead on other hand was demanding but also scaled very well across different machines .

Crytek admitted back then that Warhead was the best way to develop high end PC games . Later they revealed that Crysis and its standalone Expansion Warhead have now sold over 5 million copies , which is insane amount of retail sales for such high end game .

http://www.ign.com/articles/2008/09/30/crysis-warhead-post-release-qa

Crytek admitted that death of PC gaming was greatly exaggerated but no one could speak against their arrogant boss Cevat Yerli .

Shewgenja

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#95 Shewgenja

@delta3074 said:

Some kinect games sell really well so i don't see your point.

Nothing sells well on the XBone. Try again.

Shewgenja

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#96 Shewgenja

@cainetao11 said:
@Shewgenja said:

@cainetao11 said:

Are you going to post documented proof or is this classic cow, guilty with no need of proof because its not Sony?

EDIT:

By Will Freeman

Here's an interview I found. Sounds like they had little trouble. First glimpse of what would become Ryse was shown at E3 2011. So 2-3 years is "stayed in development hell"?

You sound mad bro.

Cloud_imperium

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#98 Cloud_imperium
@TheFadeForever said:

Should have stuck with making pc games and build up a loyal fanbase including a dedicated modding community.

True . Look at Blizzard and Valve ; their games sell like hot cakes on PC because of huge fanbase .

inggrish

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 7

#99  Edited By inggrish
Member since 2005 • 10502 Posts

Timesplitters can save Crytek

cainetao11

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#100  Edited By cainetao11
@Shewgenja said:

@cainetao11 said:
@Shewgenja said:

@cainetao11 said:

EDIT:

By Will Freeman

You sound mad bro.

LOL if you're "hearing" a voice when you read, its the one in your head, bro.

Crytek Admits Microsoft Had To Rewrite Xbox One Code To Run Software

By William Usher 2013-10-16 10:16:45 60 Comments

So MS rewrites code, Crytek was making a QTE heavy game, switched focus, and its MS' consoles fault. No responsibility to the developer at all. You're right, thanks dude.