Gamestar: Ryse , Sales terrible . Crytek to go bankrupt .?

• 161 results
#101 Posted by y7jzdgy (38 posts) -

Xboner is dead.

Can't wait to play Halo 5 on my PS4.

We'll see Uncharted on the X1 before that happens if you really want to be realistic.

#102 Edited by bublover1 (129 posts) -

@y7jzdgy said:

@bublover1 said:

Xboner is dead.

We'll see Uncharted on the X1 before that happens if you really want to be realistic.

No. The other divisions of SONY and MS are irrelevant.

Each division is like its own company. They have to make a profit or they get canned. The PS division will be immensely profitable. The Xbox division may never recover now that SONY has learned their lesson. Billions of dollars in losses await the Xbox division.

#103 Posted by cainetao11 (15986 posts) -

@y7jzdgy said:

@bublover1 said:

Xboner is dead.

Each division is like its own company. They have to make a profit or they get canned. The PS division will be immensely profitable. The Xbox division may never recover now that SONY has learned their lesson. Billions of dollars in losses await the Xbox division.

I hope you're not a business major.

#104 Posted by alex2751 (6 posts) -

Kinect already is causing billions of loss for M$. Especially since kinect was abandoned now like a kitten in a sack.

#105 Edited by edwardecl (1816 posts) -

Crytek haven't made anything of value since Crysis 1 (and before the alien shit happens)... 2 sucked and 3 looked more of the same. They should have gone more open world with their games, it's what made the original good and yes I know it wasn't totally open.

That's the problem with developers, they don't know what makes their games great I see it happen all the time with sequels being total shit.

#106 Edited by GrenadeLauncher (3264 posts) -

I wonder where the Cevat Yerli fanboys are.

#107 Posted by scottpsfan14 (2636 posts) -

Crytek had huge potential . It's sad that they forgot about their roots and started to make linear corridor shooters for the masses .

Original Crysis was such an amazing game . Same goes for Warhead .

I agree. Crysis 1 is one of my favorite FPS's ever. If not my fave. Then the original Far Cry. Crysis 2 was shit as is Crysis 3. I really hate how Crytek try to say that Crysis 3 went back to it's roots when all it did was added more foliage on to Crysis 2. Crysis 1 was just better in every way. Looks just as good imo. May not have all the DX11 effects, but looks more photo realistic imo.

#108 Posted by scottpsfan14 (2636 posts) -

I wonder where the Cevat Yerli fanboys are.

Cevat Yerli has fanboys?

#109 Edited by glez13 (8501 posts) -

Since Crysis 2 it was clear that something like this could happen. That said, this report looks fishy.

#110 Posted by bublover1 (129 posts) -

@bublover1 said:

@y7jzdgy said:

@bublover1 said:

Xboner is dead.

I double majored in math and econ.

I'm currently a NYC teacher and a business owner. You don't fucking open a new division in your company just because you feel like it. You open a new division because of the possibility of making money. If there's no chance of making money, you close it. You don't need to be a business guru to know that. It's common fucking sense.

#111 Edited by Heil68 (42747 posts) -

The project was fucked form the beginning. Started off as a Kinect(lol) game doomed it.

#112 Edited by cainetao11 (15986 posts) -

@cainetao11 said:

@bublover1 said:

@y7jzdgy said:

@bublover1 said:

Xboner is dead.

I double majored in math and econ.

I'm currently a NYC teacher and a business owner. You don't fucking open a new division in your company just because you feel like it. You open a new division because of the possibility of making money. If there's no chance of making money, you close it. You don't need to be a business guru to know that. It's common fucking sense.

Cool. I was series 7 registered in the 90s, investment banking taking a few companies public. So if these are different companies there are no ways to use losses in the overall corporations bottom line?

#113 Posted by Alcapello (544 posts) -

Well what do you expect when everyone is buying a PS4 and your game is on the ouya level

#114 Posted by killzowned24 (7286 posts) -

Ryse? More like Fall! lol

#115 Edited by blackace (19803 posts) -

@Cloud_imperium: New IP's usually don't do all the great on new systems. The game sold a million copies on a system that only had about 4 million units sold. That's actually not that bad. Most then 25% of the XB1 users bought it. If Crytek had want a lot more sales they should have put it on the Xbox 360 as well. It didn't help that the game was just average. Crytek has no one to blame, but themselves.

#116 Posted by mbrockway (3345 posts) -

@Shewgenja said:

Xbone destroying studios I see.

A family tradition it seems. I hope Insomniac isn't next.

It is. Sunset Overdrive will devastate the studio, then MS will buy them for cheap and put them to work pumping out cartoony Kinect games. Its the circle of life for console exclusive traitors.

#117 Edited by Vatusus (4242 posts) -

lol serves them right for aligning themselves with MS. Insomniac will be next and I want to watch them come crawling back to sony asking for forgiveness.

#118 Posted by Vatusus (4242 posts) -

Isn't Crytek facing an uphill battle trying to get their engine out to market, since everyone seems to be gaga for UE4?

If Batman: Arkham Knight is somethin to go for then UE4 >>>>>>>> CE3

#119 Edited by MlauTheDaft (3022 posts) -

@Heil68 said:

The project was fucked form the beginning. Started off as a Kinect(lol) game doomed it.

You're not quite my cup of tea, but this quote sums up Ryse's situation accurately.

#120 Edited by Zero5000X (8176 posts) -

Looks like they are doing fine. I wouldn't believe this article.

#121 Posted by UnbiasedPoster (639 posts) -

Things Kinect has killed:

Microsoft's focus for 5 years

Rare

Crytek

and counting.

#122 Edited by IgGy621985 (4572 posts) -

Ah man, good old times...

Would be such a shame if that happens.

They wanted to compete with Epic on the engine market, but that certainly isn't an easy task.

Also, their last good game was Crysis Warhead. That says a lot about their console ambitions.

#123 Edited by Shewgenja (7978 posts) -

@ReadingRainbow4 said:

@Shewgenja said:

Xbone destroying studios I see.

A family tradition it seems. I hope Insomniac isn't next.

It is. Sunset Overdrive will devastate the studio, then MS will buy them for cheap and put them to work pumping out cartoony Kinect games. Its the circle of life for console exclusive traitors.

Isn't there a new Ratchet and Clank that is supposed to come out before the movie or something?

#SonySavesTheDay

#JustLikeTheyDidWhenSpiritsWithinAlmostSunkSquaresoft

#ThankYouBasedKaz

#124 Posted by woomar (110 posts) -

I think Crytek struggles because Crysis 1 was really overrated by the community , when Crysis 2 came out they started comparing it with the first one the same thing happened when Crysis 3 was released , i don't know about RYSE but i think they focused a lot in the graphics that they forgot about the gameplay , i saw a gameplay video of it on Youtube and it looks repetitive , i think it would have better success if it was based on a movie , you could take LOTR return of the king as example (I am not comparing the two games, I am just saying these type of games would have been better if was based on something that explains what is going on around you) .

So yeah i think they care about the graphics more than the gameplay (at least a little bit) , and they may stop developing games and stick with developing the Engine (I am not happy if they did BTW).

Just for clarification : I am sure Crysis 1 was a good game but not that very great as people were describing it , even though i didn't play Crysis 1 for more than two hours but you could see that there something wrong with the game , i mean the introduction was not very good (but it's ok FPS games in general don't have a very good story) , now the real problem i noticed was the combat , shooting the enemy in the head was like shooting him in the limb i felt like there was no critical position on the enemy that you could focus on , Maybe my vision of the game isn't fair because as i said i didn't play it for enough time , but even for people who completed it AND enjoyed it , don't you think many people were overrating it ?

#125 Posted by R4gn4r0k (16145 posts) -

@Heil68 said:

Yeah, I mean the only person that was excited for Ryse: Kinect was loosingENDS

Project was doomed from the start.

#126 Posted by R4gn4r0k (16145 posts) -

Ah man, good old times...

Would be such a shame if that happens.

They wanted to compete with Epic on the engine market, but that certainly isn't an easy task.

Also, their last good game was Crysis Warhead. That says a lot about their console ambitions.

This seems to be the general consensus. At least it is for the people that have played all of their games since the start.

Perhaps some console fanboys may think different, they always claimed Crysis was just a techdemo. It didn't have any gameplay according to them.

Weird, because their first 3 games turned out to have the best gameplay.

#127 Posted by santoron (7472 posts) -

Considering this story is barely getting any coverage outside of a website I've never heard of quoting a magazine I've never heard of, people have sure run with this story.

If true, sucks to be them but little of value was lost.

#128 Posted by WilliamRLBaker (28312 posts) -

lol oh sheen's just keep on bi-wining

#129 Edited by TheTruthIsREAL (752 posts) -

Death of Crysis. What's left for herms to hold on to?

#130 Edited by StrongDeadlift (5131 posts) -

@Vatusus said:

lol serves them right for aligning themselves with MS. Insomniac will be next and I want to watch them come crawling back to sony asking for forgiveness.

Gotta admit, the "Microsoft is going to kill Insomniac" thing is quite funny to me, considering that if it was within Sony's power to do so, Sony would have closed down Insomniac (or cut ties with them) during their mass purge a couple years ago the same way they threw Zipper/Lightbox/Incognito/EatSleepPlay/Superbot/BigBig in the trashcan. None of their PS3 offerings, not a single one were relatively successful compared to their past.

Even more ironically, given the generally positive reaction the press/internet has had towards Sunset Overdrive (despite even the Xbox One's negative press) this game will probably be the best thing thats come out of Insomniac in the last decade.

#131 Posted by Vatusus (4242 posts) -

@Vatusus said:

Gotta admit, the "Microsoft is going to kill Insomniac" thing is quite funny to me, considering that if it was within Sony's power to do so, Sony would have closed down Insomniac (or cut ties with them) during their mass purge a couple years ago the same way they threw Zipper/Lightbox/Incognito/EatSleepPlay/Superbot/BigBig in the trashcan. None of their PS3 offerings, not a single one were relatively successful compared to their past.

Even more ironically, given the generally positive reaction the press/internet has had towards Sunset Overdrive (despite even the Xbox One's negative press) this game will probably be the best thing thats come out of Insomniac in the last decade.

lol right... thats why most R&C fans consider ACiT to be the best in the series and the fact Resistance 1 was their best selling game ever... try again lem

#132 Edited by Gue1 (9178 posts) -

why 3rd party devs prefer Unreal Engine over Cry Engine? Every Cry Engine game I've seen looks better than any Unreal Engine game.

#133 Posted by Bread_or_Decide (17112 posts) -

They could have spent far less, created something way more innovative and fun, and sold way more copies at an actual profit.

But whatever...keep making insanely budgeted garbage and hope for the best. Whatever.

#134 Posted by MlauTheDaft (3022 posts) -

Crytek haven't made anything of value since Crysis 1 (and before the alien shit happens)... 2 sucked and 3 looked more of the same. They should have gone more open world with their games, it's what made the original good and yes I know it wasn't totally open.

That's the problem with developers, they don't know what makes their games great I see it happen all the time with sequels being total shit.

Which kinda starts 2 minutes into the game...

I don't see why people hate on the alien elements in Crysis tbh. The execution is handled better than in most sci-fi fps.

#135 Posted by Gue1 (9178 posts) -

@Vatusus said:

@StrongDeadlift said:

@Vatusus said:

lol right... thats why most R&C fans consider ACiT to be the best in the series and the fact Resistance 1 was their best selling game ever... try again lem

lift always getting owned. I don't even know why he tries so hard to become exactly what he hates the most. Always been saying it, the guy's a walking contradiction.

#136 Edited by StrongDeadlift (5131 posts) -

@Vatusus said:

@StrongDeadlift said:

@Vatusus said:

The Spyro games sold more than Resistance so I guarrantee that's nonsense, which only sold what it did because it was a launch game with not much else to compete with.

Great, now talk about the 10 other games (thats the real number btw ) they've developed since Resistance FoM :)

EDIT:

Every time I've ever been called a lem on this forum, I've had a Playstation controller in my hand while it was said. This has never NOT happened a single time I've been called a lem EVER. its cute if you ask me :)

#137 Posted by ActicEdge (24328 posts) -

A large part of Ryse's bad sales is because the quality of the game is laughable. This isn't to say if it was fantastic it wouldn't have lost money but rather that it simply wasn't gonna get high sales with all the competition out there.

#138 Edited by tormentos (16559 posts) -

Ryse zigma coming soon..hahahaha

Poor crytec if they only could make a good game...

Good riddance to bad rubbish...

#139 Posted by Vatusus (4242 posts) -

@Vatusus said:

@StrongDeadlift said:

@Vatusus said:

The Spyro games sold more than Resistance so I guarrantee that's nonsense, which only sold what it did because it was a launch game with not much else to compete with.

Great, now talk about the 10 other games (thats the real number btw ) they've developed since Resistance FoM :)

EDIT:

Every time I've ever been called a lem on this forum, I've had a Playstation controller in my hand while it was said. This has never NOT happened a single time I've been called a lem EVER. its cute if you ask me :)

You mean Spyro games as in plural? lol way at using a whole series against one game... If you mean individually then no, none of the sapyro games sold more than 6 million units. Launch game or not, truth is that it did, any other excuse is lame. Every PS3 R&C and Resistance 2 (vgchartz puts it at 2.5 million wich are hardly bad sales) reached platinum status so they also sold well. R3 and the latest R&C (word says they were bad) were the only ones that sold relatively bad but then again, latest R&C came out at a late console cicle and both R&C and R3 accused some franchise fatigue.

#140 Posted by WallofTruth (1123 posts) -

@clyde46 said:

Crytek should just go back to making PC games.

Exactly, Far Cry 1 was a big success, Crysis 1 and Warhead were a big success, Crysis 2 was a disappointment to many but still sold well, WarFace(lol) is just a cheap F2P game, Crysis 3 is a failure, all it has going is good graphics but the campaign is extremely short and the MP was pretty much dead a few weeks after the game came out. Then there's Ryse: S**tstain of Rome, pretty looking game but just like most Sony games nowadays, no gameplay and bad sales. WTF are they doing?

At least their new Homefront game looks decent.

#141 Edited by slimdogmilionar (327 posts) -

@bublover1:

PS3 lost money all last gen and Sony didn't close it down. M$ has money to cover xbox losses they are worth 10+ times more with a 1% chance of going bankrput vs Sony 78%. Even if the system didn't make money M$ made so much money off of live alone last gen that Xbox would still be okay. Xbox division recover from what? PS division is the one recovering, while Sony as a whole is predicted not to last until the end of this console generation.

Back on topic: I think M$ should buy Crytek, they have the money and they want to get back into PC gaming. Crytek did a good job with Ryse, graphically. The story was lacking and gameplay was meh, it never got to boring because the game was so short. The game being so short also hurt the story because they didn't give you enough time to get to know any characters or connect with them. Ryse was just a gorgeous hack and slash title to showcase next gen.

After Crysis 2 I didn't even attempt to play 3.

#142 Posted by SecretPolice (21243 posts) -

Eh, sorry to hear this but it just goes to show you, unlike other camps, lems demand mooaar than a graphics king to make them buy a game - good on them. :P

#143 Posted by jsmoke03 (12516 posts) -

sucks to hear...must regret that exclusive deal now

#144 Posted by aroxx_ab (9156 posts) -

That is what happen if

A; make a bad game

B;make it a exclusive to a flopping platform

#146 Posted by AmazonAngry (698 posts) -

With as terrible as Crysis 1 was, you'd think they would have learned their lesson

#147 Posted by GamingGod999 (2908 posts) -

A terrible game suffers from terrible sales?

Shocking.

#148 Posted by bublover1 (129 posts) -

@bublover1:

PS3 lost money all last gen and Sony didn't close it down. M$ has money to cover xbox losses they are worth 10+ times more with a 1% chance of going bankrput vs Sony 78%. Even if the system didn't make money M$ made so much money off of live alone last gen that Xbox would still be okay. Xbox division recover from what? PS division is the one recovering, while Sony as a whole is predicted not to last until the end of this console generation.

Back on topic: I think M$ should buy Crytek, they have the money and they want to get back into PC gaming. Crytek did a good job with Ryse, graphically. The story was lacking and gameplay was meh, it never got to boring because the game was so short. The game being so short also hurt the story because they didn't give you enough time to get to know any characters or connect with them. Ryse was just a gorgeous hack and slash title to showcase next gen.

After Crysis 2 I didn't even attempt to play 3.

Go find a job in the private sector before you talk about business operations.

Microsoft sees no way to make a profit off the Xbox division anymore. They're going to sell <50 million units and LIVE subscription is down immensely from last gen.

It doesn't matter if the other divisions are making a profit. If the Xbox division has no chance of making a profit, it WILL get canned. Trust me, it's game over for the Xbone. Halo 5 PS4 bundle here I come!

#149 Edited by lamprey263 (22466 posts) -

Jeez, somebody blogged about it then it must be true.

Funny, how we don't have that credibility here. We can't even bring up VGChartz data among each other, HOWEVER, if someone uses VGChart data to make a claim on a remote site, GS users can then quote the article/blog and suddenly the source is now valid. It's like the trick you use by putting Scotch tape on frosted glass makes it transparent.

#150 Posted by lunar1122 (654 posts) -

this article seems bogus. I think its actually the opposite here.Crytek is doing pretty well for themselves despite making bad games.

Crytek is a 3rd party studio. Companies like EA and Microsoft paid them to make their games. Crytek doesn't own the game rights to the crysis franchise, and neither do they own the game rights to Ryse. Its EA and Microsoft who have to suffer if those games do badly.. Not Crytek.. For them its straight profits.

The games crytek own is warface and the free to plays they have recently announced and the upcoming Homefront.

If Ryse is doing badly.. I fail to see how that is making Crytek go bankrupt. Its microsoft who has to pay the price for that game doing badly since they paid crytek to make the game for them.