Fallout 3 to be approachable to newcomers!

This topic is locked from further discussion.

BobHipJames

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

#1 BobHipJames
Member since 2007 • 3126 Posts

In a surprising turn of events, Bethesda decided to cater to newcomers of the Fallout series with their magnum opus Fallout 3, surprising considering how obscure and niche the game was looking in terms of appeal.

http://www.psu.com/Hines-on-making-Fallout-3-approachable-to-newcomers-News--a0004733-p0.php

"For those of you worried about playing catch up in the Fallout series before taking on Bethesda's latest entry in the franchise, don't fret. Pete Hines has assured PSU that new players should have no problem picking up Fallout 3 and jumping right in."

Pete Hines: "'Well, we make sure you don't have to have played the previous Fallout games to understand what's going on in Fallout 3. Obviously the control scheme should be familiar with folks who have played a 1st or 3rd person game. That was one of the nice things I heard at PAX from a number of folks is that they felt like the basic controls were pretty intuitive and seemed to pick up on things like how to use the Pip-Boy or the V.A.T.S. combat system pretty quickly.'"

This is GREAT news! He said it will be familiar to people who have played a 1st person game! That means I'll be able to log off of Live after a sweet round of Slayer on Halo 3 and pop in Fallout 3 and jump right in the mayhem! Totally! I wasn't interested in this game until I learned about the portable nuclear missile launcher (LOL CARNAGE FTW) and the fact that it's going to be familiar to me, a total Fallout nincompoop.

Anyway, good to know this game won't blow a brain cell, despite what you basement-dwelling hermits want. Time to blow stuff up come this November!

BioShockOwnz

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

#2 BioShockOwnz
Member since 2006 • 52901 Posts
I wanted this game so bad. I was so hyped. Then I started seeing more gameplay videos. :( This is Oblivion with guns, and I absolutely despise Oblivion.
Avatar image for organic_machine
organic_machine

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

#3 organic_machine
Member since 2004 • 10141 Posts
TC, your sarcasm is bitter and sweet. I am not looking forward to this game.
VulcanMage119

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#4 VulcanMage119
Member since 2006 • 684 Posts

In a surprising turn of events, Bethesda decided to cater to newcomers of the Fallout series with their magnum opus Fallout 3, surprising considering how obscure and niche the game was looking in terms of appeal.

"For those of you worried about playing catch up in the Fallout series before taking on Bethesda's latest entry in the franchise, don't fret. Pete Hines has assured PSU that new players should have no problem picking up Fallout 3 and jumping right in."

Pete Hines: "'Well, we make sure you don't have to have played the previous Fallout games to understand what's going on in Fallout 3. Obviously the control scheme should be familiar with folks who have played a 1st or 3rd person game. That was one of the nice things I heard at PAX from a number of folks is that they felt like the basic controls were pretty intuitive and seemed to pick up on things like how to use the Pip-Boy or the V.A.T.S. combat system pretty quickly.'"

This is GREAT news! He said it will be familiar to people who have played a 1st person game! That means I'll be able to log off of Live after a sweet round of Slayer on Halo 3 and pop in Fallout 3 and jump right in the mayhem! Totally! I wasn't interested in this game until I learned about the portable nuclear missile launcher (LOL CARNAGE FTW) and the fact that it's going to be familiar to me, a total Fallout nincompoop.

Anyway, good to know this game won't blow a brain cell, despite what you basement-dwelling hermits want. Time to blow stuff up come this November!

BobHipJames

You're about to piss off a lot of hermits, and for good reason. I don't understand why people get so excited and love to bash pc gamers and us gamers who have been gaming since the beginning when one of our favorite series gets nerfed and made noob friendly. The game will rock, and I've never played FO 1 or 2 but I hate when games like Megaman and a ton of others go mainstream and get wrecked, so don't be so quick to throw it in hermits faces... It's just rude.

odin2019

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 7

#5 odin2019
Member since 2006 • 4677 Posts
This game should be great I've seen some more videos of the gameplay and I can't wait. I like how in the game you can make multiple choices when talking to people and take on different missions. I saw this one mission where you activate a nuclear bomb in a city for someone then after you active it you go to their mansion then you push the button and it blows the city to hell. I would have to image and hope the city no longer exist in the game. I'm really looking foward to the game.
Avatar image for organic_machine
organic_machine

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#6 organic_machine
Member since 2004 • 10141 Posts

You're about to piss off a lot of hermits, and for good reason. I don't understand why people get so excited and love to bash pc gamers and us gamers who have been gaming since the beginning when one of our favorite series gets nerfed and made noob friendly. The game will rock, and I've never played FO 1 or 2 but I hate when games like Megaman and a ton of others go mainstream and get wrecked, so don't be so quick to throw it in hermits faces... It's just rude.

VulcanMage119

If my moemory serves me, he is a hermit. I might be wrong, but I think he's sarcastic. My sarcasm meter is going off, and it hasn't failed... yet.

swamplord666

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#7 swamplord666
Member since 2007 • 1873 Posts
I wanted this game so bad. I was so hyped. Then I started seeing more gameplay videos. :( This is Oblivion with guns, and I absolutely despise Oblivion.BioShockOwnz
yeah i got the same impression. but luckily it seems to do enough differently for it not to be a problem. even though i won't be getting it because of finances, i do hope it'll do well.
BioShockOwnz

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#8 BioShockOwnz
[QUOTE="VulcanMage119"]

organic_machine

If my moemory serves me, he is a hermit. I might be wrong, but I think he's sarcastic. My sarcasm meter is going off, and it hasn't failed... yet.

Yes, he's being sarcastic.

Verge_6

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#9 Verge_6
Member since 2007 • 20282 Posts
I'm just so giddy that the atmosphere and feel I got from playing Fallout 1 and 2 seems to have been captured perfectly in this. I dunno how I'll view the combat and gameplay mechanics, but I'll find out.
Vandalvideo

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 16

#10 Vandalvideo
Member since 2003 • 39655 Posts
*Adds this quote to the pile of quotes representing Bethesda's sojourn into depravity* Sigh, you'd think they want to be bashed now.
RobbieH1234

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#11 RobbieH1234
Member since 2005 • 7464 Posts
Pssh, Emil said yesterday that it appeals to old school PC gamers because you get to read text in the game. (He actually said that)
Vandalvideo

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#12 Vandalvideo
I'm just so giddy that the atmosphere and feel I got from playing Fallout 1 and 2 seems to have been captured perfectly in this. I dunno how I'll view the combat and gameplay mechanics, but I'll find out.Verge_6
I know right? All that dark humour, light satirical story telling, and longevity is so readily apparent in this game!
Teuf_

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#13 Teuf_
Member since 2004 • 30805 Posts
I wanted this game so bad. I was so hyped. Then I started seeing more gameplay videos. :( This is Oblivion with guns, and I absolutely despise Oblivion.BioShockOwnz

It really is Oblivion with guns. My hype has reached sub-zero levels. :(
BioShockOwnz

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#14 BioShockOwnz

[QUOTE="BioShockOwnz"]I wanted this game so bad. I was so hyped. Then I started seeing more gameplay videos. :( This is Oblivion with guns, and I absolutely despise Oblivion.swamplord666
yeah i got the same impression. but luckily it seems to do enough differently for it not to be a problem. even though i won't be getting it because of finances, i do hope it'll do well.

Another thing I'm concerned about is the depressing browns. How fun will this large and open world be to explore? I was bored of Oblivion, yet atleast it had some color to it.

mo0ksi

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 5

#15 mo0ksi
Member since 2007 • 12337 Posts
I'll pass on Oblivion with guns disguised as a Fallout game. I'm sorry, but even as a game on its own it looks awful let alone being a Fallout game.
mjarantilla

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#16 mjarantilla
Member since 2002 • 15721 Posts

[QUOTE="Verge_6"]I'm just so giddy that the atmosphere and feel I got from playing Fallout 1 and 2 seems to have been captured perfectly in this. I dunno how I'll view the combat and gameplay mechanics, but I'll find out.Vandalvideo
I know right? All that dark humour, light satirical story telling, and longevity is so readily apparent in this game!

0_o

*kaboom*

Verge_6

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#17 Verge_6

[QUOTE="Verge_6"]I'm just so giddy that the atmosphere and feel I got from playing Fallout 1 and 2 seems to have been captured perfectly in this. I dunno how I'll view the combat and gameplay mechanics, but I'll find out.Vandalvideo

Ah, apologies, I didn't get the "All Fallout fans cannot show any form of anticipation for this game" memo. I'll be sure to check my inbox again.

...I'm going to be blunt, I really expected alot more from you.

MagnuzGuerra

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#18 MagnuzGuerra
Member since 2004 • 1037 Posts
Pssh, Emil said yesterday that it appeals to old school PC gamers because you get to read text in the game. (He actually said that)RobbieH1234
wow :lol:
tfpcgmr

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#19 tfpcgmr
Member since 2008 • 164 Posts

Sadly it is.

Oh and to TC, maybe if you had more than a neuron or be less than 10 years old you could actually play something besides curbstomping aliens.

Vandalvideo

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#20 Vandalvideo
...I'm going to be blunt, I really expected alot more from you.Verge_6
You expected more from me? I merely pointed out the flaws in stating that this game "matches the atmosphere of the originals". Thats what I do.
Verge_6

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#21 Verge_6

[QUOTE="BioShockOwnz"]I wanted this game so bad. I was so hyped. Then I started seeing more gameplay videos. :( This is Oblivion with guns, and I absolutely despise Oblivion.tfpcgmr

Sadly it is.

Oh and to TC, maybe if you had more than a neuron or be less than 10 years old you could actually play something besides curbstomping aliens.

The irony of this is that he was being sarcastic. And blatantly so, if I might add.

clicketyclick

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#23 clicketyclick
Member since 2008 • 7136 Posts

BobHipJames

I agree; hardly surprising considering what they did with Elder Scrolls et al. :roll:

"If we dumbs deh game down, moar ppl undRstands it and we gets moar $$" — Official Bethesda statement to the press.

Verge_6

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#24 Verge_6

[QUOTE="Verge_6"]...I'm going to be blunt, I really expected alot more from you.Vandalvideo
You expected more from me? I merely pointed out the flaws in stating that this game "matches the atmosphere of the originals". Thats what I do.

From what I've seen in the videos, it does seem to match what I felt. Key word here, "seems". You know, as in, not definitive or absolute? You cannot dictate what I feel, or how to feel, or why I feel, and quite frankly I am sick of being told how I should view this game.

MagnuzGuerra

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#25 MagnuzGuerra
Member since 2004 • 1037 Posts
Can't wait for the new Fallout fans making hundreds of topics saying how Fallout 3 is the best RPG ever.
Nike_Air

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#26 Nike_Air
Member since 2006 • 19733 Posts

I think it looks hot myself (the setting/premise/graphics/gore)..... the gameplay looks pretty cool to me because you can mix things up when you play , but it might come down to character interaction at the end of the day. If the people you meet in the world are generic lifeless characters , then that would be a problem.

People need to look at the game itself for what it is , not what they think Fallout is supposed to be. Pretend it is called Fallin Three.

PBSnipes

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#27 PBSnipes
Member since 2007 • 14621 Posts
Pssh, Emil said yesterday that it appeals to old school PC gamers because you get to read text in the game. (He actually said that)RobbieH1234
Oh sweet jebus...
Vandalvideo

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#28 Vandalvideo
From what I've seen in the videos, it does seem to match what I felt. Key word here, "seems". You know, as in, not definitive or absolute? You cannot dictate what I feel, or how to feel, or why I feel, and quite frankly I am sick of being told how I should view this game.Verge_6
And from every last review quote and hands on preview of the game that we've gotten, especially from people like Canard, clearly point to the fact that the vast majority of the elements that so define the series are GONE. I'm not telling you how you should feel about the game, I'm telling you that it is an erroneous statement to make the claim that the atmosphere is the same. EVERYTHING we've been told by first and third party sources alike points to it being nothing alike.
Burning_Sun

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#29 Burning_Sun
Member since 2007 • 633 Posts
people will be less inclined to pick it up if it has ties to the old games, so they need to increase the market appeal by making it something very approachable for everyone. Fallout 3 was not made for the fans it was made to make lots of money.
Teuf_

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#30 Teuf_
Member since 2004 • 30805 Posts
[QUOTE="RobbieH1234"]Pssh, Emil said yesterday that it appeals to old school PC gamers because you get to read text in the game. (He actually said that)PBSnipes
Oh sweet jebus...

By that logic, it appeals to Zelda fans too! :P
mjarantilla

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#31 mjarantilla
Member since 2002 • 15721 Posts

people will be less inclined to pick it up if it has ties to the old games, so they need to increase the market appeal by making it something very approachable for everyone. Fallout 3 was not made for the fans it was made to make lots of money.Burning_Sun

WTF? Since when did staying faithful to a renowned brand name ever make something LESS approachable?

Verge_6

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#32 Verge_6

[QUOTE="Verge_6"]From what I've seen in the videos, it does seem to match what I felt. Key word here, "seems". You know, as in, not definitive or absolute? You cannot dictate what I feel, or how to feel, or why I feel, and quite frankly I am sick of being told how I should view this game.Vandalvideo
And from every last review quote and hands on preview of the game that we've gotten, especially from people like Canard, clearly point to the fact that the vast majority of the elements that so define the series are GONE. I'm not telling you how you should feel about the game, I'm telling you that it is an erroneous statement to make the claim that the atmosphere is the same. EVERYTHING we've been told by first and third party sources alike points to it being nothing alike.

Ah, I see, you're not telling me how I should feel about the game, but telling me what the reviewers think I should have felt about it and the prior titles. Yes, this is much better scenario. And again, "seems" is usually defined as meaning that something appears to be so, but it is not with certainty that it is. Just a little info.

RuprechtMonkey

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#33 RuprechtMonkey
Member since 2008 • 1509 Posts

Sorry, but this is going to be an awesome game.

Can't wait.

Vandalvideo

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#34 Vandalvideo
Ah, I see, you're not telling me how I should feel about the game, but telling me what the reviewers think I should have felt about it and the prior titles. Yes, this is much better scenario. And again, "seems" is usually defined as meaning that something appears to be so, but it is not with certainty that it is. Just a little info. Verge_6
No, I'm telling you what Bethesda and previewers have explicitly said about the gameplay mechancis THEMSELVES; The lack of dark humour as expressed by staff members in bethesda, the dificulty of creating an enriching storyline in an open world environemtn acording to staff members in bethesda, the destruction of a tangible and binding consequence system according to staff members in bethesda, the bastardization of difficulty addressed by Canard PC. I could go on and on and I could even go so far as to link direct quotes to Bethesda employees which explicitly lay out the elements of the original games that are absent. It is not a matter of what these people FEEL, its a matter of what is DE FACTO ABSENT.
mr_mozilla

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#35 mr_mozilla
Member since 2006 • 2381 Posts

[QUOTE="swamplord666"][QUOTE="BioShockOwnz"]I wanted this game so bad. I was so hyped. Then I started seeing more gameplay videos. :( This is Oblivion with guns, and I absolutely despise Oblivion.BioShockOwnz

Another thing I'm concerned about is the depressing browns. How fun will this large and open world be to explore? I was bored of Oblivion, yet atleast it had some color to it.

This is actually one of my main worries. I stopped hoping for a true FO sequel the moment I heard it's made by Beth, but it could had at least been a good action-adventure in its own right. But when the lush fairy world of Oblivion managed to feel so dead and boring, how are they gonna pull of a post-apocalyptic world without making me want to gouge my eyes out.
Burning_Sun

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#36 Burning_Sun

[QUOTE="Burning_Sun"]people will be less inclined to pick it up if it has ties to the old games, so they need to increase the market appeal by making it something very approachable for everyone. Fallout 3 was not made for the fans it was made to make lots of money.mjarantilla

WTF? Since when did staying faithful to a renowned brand name ever make something LESS approachable?

look at mgs, the majority of buyers are probably mgs fans who understand whats going on in that universe...u really thing that people who never played the first 2 will be interested in this if it has historical ties to the other. The first two are so old most people let alone casuals aren't going to play them to feel comfortable in the fallout universe.
jethrovegas

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#37 jethrovegas
Member since 2007 • 5103 Posts

people will be less inclined to pick it up if it has ties to the old games, so they need to increase the market appeal by making it something very approachable for everyone. Fallout 3 was not made for the fans it was made to make lots of money.Burning_Sun

Why is that, exactly?

I mean, you aren't saying "people would be less inclined to pick it up if it was an isometric RPG" (which would probably be true, given the nature of today's market)" you're saying "people will be less inclined to pick it up if it has ties to the old games", and that doesn't make a damn lick of sense to me.

Explain please.

EDIT: NVM, I see that you answered a similar question above my post, though I still want to know why you think a strong lore connection between the game and it's precursors (it is called Fallout THREE) would decrease the marketability of the product.

This game is supposed to be a sequel, is it not?

Verge_6

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#38 Verge_6

[QUOTE="Verge_6"]Ah, I see, you're not telling me how I should feel about the game, but telling me what the reviewers think I should have felt about it and the prior titles. Yes, this is much better scenario. And again, "seems" is usually defined as meaning that something appears to be so, but it is not with certainty that it is. Just a little info. Vandalvideo
No, I'm telling you what Bethesda and previewers have explicitly said about the gameplay mechancis THEMSELVES; The lack of dark humour as expressed by staff members in bethesda, the dificulty of creating an enriching storyline in an open world environemtn acording to staff members in bethesda, the destruction of a tangible and binding consequence system according to staff members in bethesda, the bastardization of difficulty addressed by Canard PC. I could go on and on and I could even go so far as to link direct quotes to Bethesda employees which explicitly lay out the elements of the original games that are absent. It is not a matter of what these people FEEL, its a matter of what is DE FACTO ABSENT.

And, here's a shocker, what if I really don't care about that and am just glad that the gloomy, unforgettable post-apocalypitic setting and atmosphere that made me adore the Fallout 1 & 2 appears to be present in Fallout 3? Or is there some sort of unspoken PC gaming law that forbids that....

RobbieH1234

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#39 RobbieH1234
Member since 2005 • 7464 Posts

This is actually one of my main worries. I stopped hoping for a true FO sequel the moment I heard it's made by Beth, but it could had at least been a good action-adventure in its own right. But when the lush fairy world of Oblivion managed to feel so dead and boring, how are they gonna pull of a post-apocalyptic world without making me want to gouge my eyes out.mr_mozilla
"Hey, this is Fallout, let's put some nuclear explosions on the screen." - Todd Howard.

That's how. :P

odin2019

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#40 odin2019

The only thing that I might not like too much about Fallout 3 is the music. Nobody seems to mention it at all but its very very old. And some people may say well it matchs the post apoc world well they could of come up with some new music for it. Maybe like a little techmo or something like that.

Some people will say that the technology for techmo doesn't exist in that world. Well I've seen futuristic weapons in the game along with futuristic technology such as the arm band thing on his wrist so I don't see why they can't include some different music.

Vandalvideo

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#41 Vandalvideo
And, here's a shocker, what if I really don't care about that and am just glad that the gloomy, unforgettable post-apocalypitic setting and atmosphere that made me adore the Fallout 1 & 2 appears to be present in Fallout 3? Or is there some sort of unspoken PC gaming law that forbids that.... Verge_6
I don't care if you don't care. I never made the effort to say that you SHOULDN'T be hyped about this game. I merely took address with your statement that "the atmosphere is the same", and as illustrated by numerous direct quotes from Bethesda, the vast majority of the defining elements of the series are gone. If you want to enjoy the game I'm not trying to stop you. Be my guest, just don't make wrong statement.
RuprechtMonkey

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#42 RuprechtMonkey
Member since 2008 • 1509 Posts
[QUOTE="BioShockOwnz"]

[QUOTE="swamplord666"][QUOTE="BioShockOwnz"]I wanted this game so bad. I was so hyped. Then I started seeing more gameplay videos. :( This is Oblivion with guns, and I absolutely despise Oblivion.mr_mozilla

This is actually one of my main worries. I stopped hoping for a true FO sequel the moment I heard it's made by Beth, but it could had at least been a good action-adventure in its own right. But when the lush fairy world of Oblivion managed to feel so dead and boring, how are they gonna pull of a post-apocalyptic world without making me want to gouge my eyes out.

The two main complaints about Oblivion were:

1: Levelling system.

2: Non Varied Environments.

Even though Beth is clearly shifting over the Elder Scrolls formula to Fallout (which I have no problem with, Fallout was dead, Interplay was dead, a new one wasn't going to be made, and as much as I love the two originals I also love the Elder Scrolls series. hey, I'll take a new, great game that happens to bear the Fallout name over no game at all) they aren't applying these two flaws to Fallout 3. They've said they aren't implementing the flawed levelling system as it was in Oblivion, and while the overall world size is less than Oblivion's they've done so in order to tighten it up and make it more varied (so it isn't the same thing over and over again, as it was the same Dungeons and Landscapes in Oblivion.)

So, really, it's not like Oblivion with guns so much as it is Morrowind with guns. I have nothing against Oblivion though. I loved it, not quite as much as I loved Daggerfall and Morrowind, but I enjoyed it none the less.

akif22

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 8

#43 akif22
Member since 2003 • 16012 Posts

this is great news

accessibility .. aka 'watering-down' to some hermits, is another great thing

that's why i like oblivion more than morrowind, or bioshock more than system shock 2 .. and explains why many people were disappointed with oblivion / bioshock

Vandalvideo

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#44 Vandalvideo
So, realy, it's not like Oblivion with guns so much as it is Morrowind with guns.RuprechtMonkey
"So when I'm asked to summate about the game, I tend to say that it ---- Is Oblivion with guns --- In all the best ways". -Bethesda
Burning_Sun

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#45 Burning_Sun

[QUOTE="Burning_Sun"]people will be less inclined to pick it up if it has ties to the old games, so they need to increase the market appeal by making it something very approachable for everyone. Fallout 3 was not made for the fans it was made to make lots of money.jethrovegas

Why is that, exactly?

I mean, you aren't saying "people would be less inclined to pick it up if it was an isometric RPG" (which would probably be true, given the nature of today's market)" you're saying "people will be less inclined to pick it up if it has ties to the old games", and that doesn't make a damn lick of sense to me.

Explain please.

its like an inside joke...u won't find it funny if ur not a part of it, because u don't understand whats going on. as i see it fallout 1 and 2 are so ancient that i was 11 when it was made and never got a chance to play them and don't really like the old style or history of the game so i'm not going to play them...fallout 3 having no ties to those game make it more approachable to me.
odin2019

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#46 odin2019
[QUOTE="mr_mozilla"][QUOTE="BioShockOwnz"]

[QUOTE="swamplord666"][QUOTE="BioShockOwnz"]I wanted this game so bad. I was so hyped. Then I started seeing more gameplay videos. :( This is Oblivion with guns, and I absolutely despise Oblivion.RuprechtMonkey

The two main complaints about Oblivion were:

1: Levelling system.

2: Non Varied Environments.

Even though Beth is clearly shifting over the Elder Scrolls formula to Fallout (which I have no problem with, Fallout was dead, Interplay was dead, a new one wasn't going to be made, and as much as I love the two originals I also love the Elder Scrolls series. hey, I'll take a new, great game that happens to bear the Fallout name over no game at all) they aren't applying these two flaws to Fallout 3. They've said they aren't implementing the flawed levelling system as it was in Oblivion, and while the overall world size is less than Oblivion's they've done so in order to tighten it up and make it more varied (so it isn't the same thing over and over again, as it was the same Dungeons and Landscapes in Oblivion.)

So, really, it's not like Oblivion with guns so much as it is Morrowind with guns. I have nothing against Oblivion though. I loved it, not quite as much as I loved Daggerfall and Morrowind, but I enjoyed it none the less.

Yeah I hear you. Thats another thing is that if the dev of the first two fallouts was so good at making games why are they not around any more?

Verge_6

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#47 Verge_6

[QUOTE="Verge_6"]And, here's a shocker, what if I really don't care about that and am just glad that the gloomy, unforgettable post-apocalypitic setting and atmosphere that made me adore the Fallout 1 & 2 appears to be present in Fallout 3? Or is there some sort of unspoken PC gaming law that forbids that.... Vandalvideo
I don't care if you don't care. I never made the effort to say that you SHOULDN'T be hyped about this game. I merely took address with your statement that "the atmosphere is the same", and as illustrated by numerous direct quotes from Bethesda, the vast majority of the defining elements of the series are gone. If you want to enjoy the game I'm not trying to stop you. Be my guest, just don't make wrong statement.

The funny thing here is that I never, not once, stated that the atmosphere was the same. I stated clearly how the atmosphere and feel I personally recieved from the prior two installments seemed to be present. For further clarrification, I have linked webster's definition of the term. You also seem to be under the impression I was referring to the whole game seeming to be 'the same', rather than simply the atmosphere and sensation. In fact, I do beleive I stated that I '(had) no clue how I would find the gameplay and combat mechanics'.

VulcanMage119

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#48 VulcanMage119
Member since 2006 • 684 Posts
[QUOTE="organic_machine"][QUOTE="VulcanMage119"]

BioShockOwnz

Yes, he's being sarcastic.

I would like to just point out that I'm retarded and I apologise lol there's too many real people on SW saying that I was caught off guard lol

Vandalvideo

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#49 Vandalvideo
The funny thing here is that I never, not once, stated that the atmosphere was the same. I stated clearly how the atmosphere and feel I personally recieved from the prior two installments seemed to be present. For further clarrification, I have linked webster's definition of the term. You also seem to be under the impression I was referring to the whole game seeming to be 'the same', rather than simply the atmosphere and sensation. In fact, I do beleive I stated that I '(had) no clue how I would find the gameplay and combat mechanics'.Verge_6
You can try to mask the fallacy in your opinion all you want, but the fact remains that the atmosphere and all the original elements that define the game, according to direct quotes from Bethesda, are gone.
BobHipJames

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#50 BobHipJames
Member since 2007 • 3126 Posts

Yeah I hear you. Thats another thing is that if the dev of the first two fallouts was so good at making games why are they not around any more?

odin2019

Hold up a minute....

I need to interject here: Black Isle studios made Planescape Torment, Fallout 1 and 2, and Icewind Dale....

Those are some of the highest rated, best loved, and most frequent additions to "best of" lists of all time.

Fallout 1, for example, made Gamespot's GOTY or at least RPG of the year for the year it came out...

The reason their studio is defunct is that their publusher was defunct....the reason for both becoming financially inviable was essentially because people stopped supporting them. *Cruel glare*