Engadget: Wii U Is the Only True Game Console

• 174 results

This topic is locked from further discussion.

Avatar image for blaznwiipspman1
blaznwiipspman1

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

#151 blaznwiipspman1
Member since 2007 • 16539 Posts

@XVision84 said:

@charizard1605 said:

@XVision84 said:

Yeah...for $300 it definitely is not a good option. Maybe at $200.

Sure, let's spend $400 on a PS4 or $500 on an Xbox One and play *tumbleweed.gif*

$400 on a next gen console > $300 on a last gen console > $500 on a crappy console.

i see your crappy ps4 and xbox one as 3 generation old in my view. Thats because of my gaming pc is so far ahead. So why should I spend $500 on a crappy last gen console like the xbox/ps4? Spend more and get dat PC. But bu bu teh console exxxclusivess!! take those exclusives, turn them sideways and stick them straight up where the sun done shine.

Avatar image for blaznwiipspman1
blaznwiipspman1

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#152 blaznwiipspman1
Member since 2007 • 16539 Posts

@2Chalupas said:

@charizard1605 said:

@XVision84 said:

Sure, let's spend $400 on a PS4 or $500 on an Xbox One and play *tumbleweed.gif*

Those consoles are technically superior for $400, and have a future locked and loaded with full 3rd party support AND exclusives. It's easy to justify an extra $100 for the PS4 (maybe debatable on the $200 extra for XB1). Wii-U doesn't even have the basic multiplats like Madden, Battlefield 4, Need 4 Speed Rivals, Destiny, Thief, Dying Light, Evil Within, etc. That list will just keep growing every year. The console has been abandoned by every 3rd party but Ubisoft, and even in cases where it is not "abandoned", it gets an inferior "last gen" version of the mulitplats compared to the PS4/XB1 version.

Wii-U is last gen hardware that lacks 3rd party support. It should be priced more accordingly with the other last gen consoles (PS3/360). It is a fine option as a second console for Nintendo exclusives, it's a terrible option as a primary console, or if it's being priced anywhere near the PS4 (which at the moment, it sort of is). I won't buy a Wii-U for anything more than $199 holiday bundle.

its funny how you say one console is last gen and the other is next gen, but you don't make any mention of the PC, which is leagues ahead of all the consoles. When comparing to the PC, the xbox one/ps4 and the wii u are pretty much the same in terms of hardware. If I were to put it in numbers, lets say the wii u is 500 points, the xbox one is 1000 points, the ps4 is 1200 points. Does any of that matter when the PC is at around 100,000 points? When you see it like that, the only thing, and i mean the ONLY thing that you should consider when buying a console is the games, not anything else.

MlauTheDaft

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#153  Edited By MlauTheDaft
Member since 2011 • 5189 Posts

IMO, WiiU is receiving positive media attention, because it's the underdog.

It always had the cherised franchises going for it and it's still the weakest console.

Animal-Mother

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 11

#154  Edited By Animal-Mother
Member since 2003 • 27362 Posts

@MBirdy88 said:

@Animal-Mother said:

@Maroxad said:

@Animal-Mother: Lets see here

If we go by Gamespot: The Wii U and Xbox One are effectively tied (Forza got a 9 here and Dead Rising 3 got a 7), with hte Wii U (New Super Mario Bros U got an 8.5 and Nintendo land got a 8, with the PS4 lagging behind (Killzone being a 7 and Resogun being an 8)

If we go by metacrtiic the Wii U has the highest scoring launch game (new super mario bros U with an 84 and its worst game ZombiU has 77), Forza 5 for the Xbox one got a 82 and Dead Rising 3 got a 78, the PS4 has Killzone at 74 which is its highest scoring launch retail title. Basicly, in terms of retail. The PS4's best is worse than the Wii U's worst, and the Wii U's best is better than the Xbox one's best.

That said, you are entitled to your own opinion.

By that logic and going by gamespot. The One had the best launch.

Standards and practices change unfortunately. The games industry changes every month. Comparing a game released today compare to games released a year ago is unfeasible.

The gamespot Scale has changed since than as well.

what a pointless cop out.

And as far as games go the X1 did win, we all know that. nobody is denying it. but that doesn't change what maraxad said, his point is valid, its only been a year. the new mario bros games are still brilliant to play, don't go playing "standards change" crap when its unrelated.

Look at Super Mario 3D World. 95 on metacritic. and its available now. it still doesn't change the fact that the wii-u's "mediocre lineup" beat the kak out of both the "next gen" consoles.

I have little faith in titan fall (as its respawn... they don't seem to have a clue after making the awesome Wolfenstien : Enemy Territory all those years ago) and infamous looks like a generic hero sandbox game which will run out of variety after an hour.

so the big question is. how the hell are those 2 consoles going to beat the wii u this year? I BET FFXV and KH3 will be 2015.

It's not a cop out. Deal with it.

Standards do change and it is related. Did you notice Gamespots scoring system has changed recently? Do you realize time has passed since the Wii-U launched? Or are you just a time traveler? Also LOL at comparing consoles that launched at the tail end of a year literally 2-3 weeks ago to a console that has been out 52 weeks. As I said in the past. It's like comparing a new born to a year old. Who's gonna be better at fine motor skills and speech? You tell me. There's also only one answer to that question.

Maroxad

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#155 Maroxad
Member since 2007 • 23912 Posts

No, it is a cop out. Deal with it. Yes, the scoring system changed recently, but honestly, I havent any proof this affect the standards in any way. Therefore the point still stands. Whether you like it or not, The Wii-U's launch library stands up to the One's and outperforms the PS4's.

Also, your other argument is a really weak sauce argument. The PS4 and Xbox one aren't competing with the Wii U on launch, they are competing with the Wii U as it is now.

KungfuKitten

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 42

#156  Edited By KungfuKitten
Member since 2006 • 27389 Posts

@2Chalupas said:

@charizard1605 said:

@XVision84 said:

Those consoles are technically superior for $400, and have a future locked and loaded with full 3rd party support AND exclusives. It's easy to justify an extra $100 for the PS4 (maybe debatable on the $200 extra for XB1). Wii-U doesn't even have the basic multiplats like Madden, Battlefield 4, Need 4 Speed Rivals, Destiny, Thief, Dying Light, Evil Within, etc. That list will just keep growing every year. The console has been abandoned by every 3rd party but Ubisoft, and even in cases where it is not "abandoned", it gets an inferior "last gen" version of the mulitplats compared to the PS4/XB1 version.

Wii-U is last gen hardware that lacks 3rd party support. It should be priced more accordingly with the other last gen consoles (PS3/360). It is a fine option as a second console for Nintendo exclusives, it's a terrible option as a primary console, or if it's being priced anywhere near the PS4 (which at the moment, it sort of is). I won't buy a Wii-U for anything more than $199 holiday bundle.

Hahahaha! Exclusives?! Like Ryse, Lococycle and Knack?
Multiplats? Like the ones on PC?
You got nothing. Nothing.
$100 extra? So never play online? Get out of here.

2Chalupas

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

#157  Edited By 2Chalupas
Member since 2009 • 7284 Posts

@KungfuKitten said:

@2Chalupas said:

@charizard1605 said:

@XVision84 said:

Hahahaha! Exclusives?! Like Ryse, Lococycle and Knack?

Multiplats? Like the ones on PC?

You got nothing. Nothing.

$100 extra? So never play online? Get out of here.

What's the best Wii-U online game? It has none.

Wii-U lacks multiplats. So what if PC has them too? Sheep don't have high end PC's. It's just one more platform that has these games, whereas the Wii-U doesn't.Just further proves the Wii-U is a total failure as a "primary" console, and is only decent as a secondary machine for the occasional Nintendo game.

good_sk8er7

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 14

#158 good_sk8er7
Member since 2009 • 4327 Posts

@freedomfreak said:
@no-scope-AK47 said:

Makes no sense to buy another console that you will never play but a couple times per year. It cost 3/4 the price of the ps4 and that is after the price drop. Can you say waste of money. Personally I don't think the wii u has a future the numbers are horrible. The ps4 will pass it for sure by march 2014 by at least 1 million units. So why invest in a dead system ??

It has games I want, and it's getting games I want. It's not gonna die. Yes, the numbers are bad, but it isn't going anywhere.

Why should anyone care about how much other consoles are selling?

You buy a WiiU for Nintendo's first party. That's about it.

Some see value in that. Some don't.

Right there with you. I'm getting one early next year.

There's plenty of games out for it I want to play already, and more coming.

Since I didn't have a Wii for long last gen I'll also have that entire library to choose from as well.

rtechie

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

#159  Edited By rtechie
Member since 2003 • 87 Posts

If you were happy with the wii as your primary console last gen, the wiiU is more of the same.

The only good titles for the wiiU are a going to be a handful of first party games, like Mario Galaxy. Everything else will be garbage. If you're really invested in Nintendo's franchises, buy a wiiU. But don't expect more that 1 or 2 good game releases a year. And those games are going to be fundamentally less ambitious, forget about open world games like Grand Theft Auto.

Nintendo literally can't make big budget games like Call of Duty. And it's not just them, Japanese development for consoles has fallen off a cliff because Japanese studios don't have the staff, budgets, or resources for development of modern AAA console games. So they've given up and pretty much all Japanese development is now on the handhelds, mostly the 3DS.

Maroxad

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#160 Maroxad

@rtechie: I would expect the Wii U to turn out the same like the Wii, that being a truckload of overlooked titles. As a matter of fact, when it came to 7 or above scoring games the Wii had 180 games of which 81 of are exclusive.

https://spreadsheets.google.com/spreadsheet/pub?key=0AriQpIFbPoEacGM1b0xxcGVucFQ3OFc4N3BNZmd2QkE&gid=3

It certainly isnt as much (overal librarywise) as its competition. But it certainly wasnt a slouch in the exclusive library. Certainly a lot more than 1 or 2 good games per year.

rtechie

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

#161 rtechie
Member since 2003 • 87 Posts

@Maroxad said:

I would expect the Wii U to turn out the same like the Wii, that being a truckload of overlooked titles. As a matter of fact, when it came to 7 or above scoring games the Wii had 180 games of which 81 of are exclusive.

https://spreadsheets.google.com/spreadsheet/pub?key=0AriQpIFbPoEacGM1b0xxcGVucFQ3OFc4N3BNZmd2QkE&gid=3

It certainly isnt as much (overal librarywise) as its competition. But it certainly wasnt a slouch in the exclusive library. Certainly a lot more than 1 or 2 good games per year.

Ratings on video games have been subject to grade inflation for a number of years due to manipulation by publishers. It used to be that 9+ games hardly existed (1 or 2 per year, at most), now just about every decent title is a 9 and lots of games get 10s. Most reviewers aren't even allowed to rate games less than 6, under any circumstance. In modern ratings a game gets a 7 just for booting up and not crashing constantly.

Of the games you listed (I haven't played them all) I would only put 2 3rd party games above a 5, No More Heroes 1 and 2.

Virtually all the games for the wii were shovelware garbage. That's just a fact. The same sort of defenses were made for the GameCube's terrible library, but there were virtually no decent 3rd party Gamecube games (I can think of 2, and one was a remake).

If you don't like Mario and Zelda the GameCube, wii, and now the wiiU have nothing to offer.

nintendoboy16

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 43

User Lists: 14

#162 nintendoboy16
Member since 2007 • 41534 Posts

@rtechie said:

@Maroxad said:

I would expect the Wii U to turn out the same like the Wii, that being a truckload of overlooked titles. As a matter of fact, when it came to 7 or above scoring games the Wii had 180 games of which 81 of are exclusive.

Ratings on video games have been subject to grade inflation for a number of years due to manipulation by publishers. It used to be that 9+ games hardly existed (1 or 2 per year, at most), now just about every decent title is a 9 and lots of games get 10s. Most reviewers aren't even allowed to rate games less than 6, under any circumstance. In modern ratings a game gets a 7 just for booting up and not crashing constantly.

Of the games you listed (I haven't played them all) I would only put 2 3rd party games above a 5, No More Heroes 1 and 2.

Virtually all the games for the wii were shovelware garbage. That's just a fact. The same sort of defenses were made for the GameCube's terrible library, but there were virtually no decent 3rd party Gamecube games (I can think of 2, and one was a remake).

If you don't like Mario and Zelda the GameCube, wii, and now the wiiU have nothing to offer.

*spits out milk*

The_Deepblue

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 185

User Lists: 1

#163 The_Deepblue
Member since 2007 • 1484 Posts

Goes to show that you have to try a thing for yourself before you believe the perception of the media. From the sound of it, the Wii U seemed like a cheap, garbage piece of plastic that was flimsy in every way. It really just lacked software, but now this system is getting some good games. So far, for me, Wii U is an exceptional console from software to hardware. It's innovative, comfty, and has some great titles.

locopatho

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#164 locopatho
Member since 2003 • 24259 Posts

@Maroxad said:

@locopatho: Dephends on where you place the bar

At A+ games, AA+ games or AAA+ games. Which is where I was getting at.

Fair enough. Pretty sure we have always counted 7 upwards games, as they are "good". But you can of course cut off wherever you like.

locopatho

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#165  Edited By locopatho

@KungfuKitten said:

Interesting with what fervour the horrible launch line-ups are being defended in a thread that wasn't really about that at all.

Because they aren't horrible. They are unimpressive, and I won't be buying a next gen console yet... but they are factually not horrible. And yet sheep want to defend how crap the WiiU has been by acting like the PS4 and Xbone are disasters. Fun fact, they got as many AAA games at launch as WiiU did in it's first year.

Maroxad

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#166 Maroxad

@locopatho: Some people use the 8+ bar. But I use the 7 bar. So while I prefer The One launch, I can see why by other standards the Wii U would win here.

@rtechie: That is a lot of assumptions wihtout stuff to back it up. Nah, whether you like it or not, using the metagame and standards here the Wii had a very decent exclusive library. A lot of games on the Wii were shovelware, but a lot of games were pretty darn good. Also, while I am at it, please consider using this, you may find it rather educational.

KungfuKitten

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#167  Edited By KungfuKitten

@locopatho said:

@KungfuKitten said:

Interesting with what fervour the horrible launch line-ups are being defended in a thread that wasn't really about that at all.

Because they aren't horrible. They are unimpressive, and I won't be buying a next gen console yet... but they are factually not horrible. And yet sheep want to defend how crap the WiiU has been by acting like the PS4 and Xbone are disasters. Fun fact, they got as many AAA games at launch as WiiU did in it's first year.

Yet the WiiU got a lot of crap for it, and if the same is said about the X1 or PS4 it has to be defended.

locopatho

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#168 locopatho

@KungfuKitten said:

@locopatho said:

@KungfuKitten said:

Yet the WiiU got a lot of crap for it, and if the same is said about the X1 or PS4 it has to be defended.

Because the WiiU had a worse launch then X1 or PS4. None of the three had an amazing launch but you don't get to pretend that they were all the same either.

KungfuKitten

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#169  Edited By KungfuKitten

@locopatho said:

@KungfuKitten said:

@locopatho said:

@KungfuKitten said:

Because the WiiU had a worse launch then X1 or PS4. None of the three had an amazing launch but you don't get to pretend that they were all the same either.

You're making a big deal out of some mediocre crap. It just surprises me. They lie constantly in all the anti Wii-U threads and I never see you there.

locopatho

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#170 locopatho

@KungfuKitten said:

@locopatho said:

@KungfuKitten said:

@locopatho said:

@KungfuKitten said:

You're making a big deal out of some mediocre crap. It just surprises me. They lie constantly in all the anti Wii-U threads and I never see you there.

No, THAT'S a lie. The PS4 and Xbox One games are NOT all medicore crap.

Depends who's lying. If it's some low level fakeboy or idiot saying "LOL ONLY MARIO" there's no point engaging those folks. If an actual poster was to get something wrong about WiiU, I'd correct them. Yes even if it was pro Nintendo, I am actually a fan of theirs when I'm not nerd raging like a bitch :P

Bigboi500

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 10

#171  Edited By Bigboi500
Member since 2007 • 35550 Posts

@locopatho said:

@KungfuKitten said:

Which launch game exclusives for those systems are better than NSMB U?

KungfuKitten

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#172 KungfuKitten

@locopatho said:

@KungfuKitten said:

@locopatho said:

@KungfuKitten said:

@locopatho said:

@KungfuKitten said:

Depends who's lying. If it's some low level fakeboy or idiot saying "LOL ONLY MARIO" there's no point engaging those folks. If an actual poster was to get something wrong about WiiU, I'd correct them. Yes even if it was pro Nintendo, I am actually a fan of theirs when I'm not nerd raging like a bitch :P

Not all of the individual launch games are horrible. But the launch line ups as a whole are very much mediocre crap.

locopatho

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#173 locopatho

@KungfuKitten said:

@locopatho said:

@KungfuKitten said:

@locopatho said:

@KungfuKitten said:

@locopatho said:

@KungfuKitten said:

Not all of the individual launch games are horrible. But the launch line ups as a whole are very much mediocre crap.

So multiple "Good" (A), "Great" (AA) and "Superb" (AAA) are "mediocre crap" now?

Xbox One has 8 "Good" games, 6 "Great", and 2 "Superb" games for example. Many of them are on 360 as well (Albeit inferior in lesser or greater ways) so it's not exactly earth shattering... but I don't see how in the world you can call it "mediocre crap".

(Please don't do the "multiplats don't count" thing either... Twilight Princess is the biggest hyped sheep game I ever saw!)

KungfuKitten

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#174  Edited By KungfuKitten

@locopatho said:

@KungfuKitten said:

@locopatho said:

@KungfuKitten said:

@locopatho said:

@KungfuKitten said:

@locopatho said:

@KungfuKitten said:

So multiple "Good" (A), "Great" (AA) and "Superb" (AAA) are "mediocre crap" now?

Xbox One has 8 "Good" games, 6 "Great", and 2 "Superb" games for example. Many of them are on 360 as well (Albeit inferior in lesser or greater ways) so it's not exactly earth shattering... but I don't see how in the world you can call it "mediocre crap".

(Please don't do the "multiplats don't count" thing either... Twilight Princess is the biggest hyped sheep game I ever saw!)

Except for the world of dumbasses multiplats indeed don't count. If it's on PC then there is no reason to buy a console for it. Twilight Princess was never officially released on PC. I don't understand why you'd think an A rating is good. There is Forza and Killer Instinct on the Xbox One, and Resogun on the PS4. That's pretty darn barren.

Bigboi500

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#175  Edited By Bigboi500

lol multiplats. System Wars has never cared about them. Exclusives define a system's worth, not games that whore themselves out.

locopatho

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#176 locopatho

@KungfuKitten said:

@

Except for the world of dumbasses multiplats indeed don't count. If it's on PC then there is no reason to buy a console for it. Twilight Princess was never officially released on PC. I don't understand why you'd think an A rating is good. There is Forza and Killer Instinct on the Xbox One, and Resogun on the PS4. That's pretty darn barren.

Oh ok you're just doing the bullshit thing of "lets ignore 90% of the Xbox and PS libraries while counting multiplats for Nintendo".

Gotta make up some way for Nintendo to win I suppose.

Let's pretend that Resogun is a more important game than Assassin's Creed or Battlefield. Lol.

Let's pretend that a last gen port of Wii Fit is a more important that GTAV, the probable Game Of The Year. Lol.

Why do I think an A rating is good???

Bigboi500

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#177 Bigboi500

Let's pretend our personal preferences are more important or accurate than others...