Engadget: Wii U Is the Only True Game Console

• 174 results

This topic is locked from further discussion.

Avatar image for deactivated-5d6bb9cb2ee20
deactivated-5d6bb9cb2ee20

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 56

User Lists: 0

#1  Edited By deactivated-5d6bb9cb2ee20
Member since 2006 • 82724 Posts

Discussion about the eighth generation of consoles often treats the Wii U as an afterthought because it doesn't fit into a pre-constructed narrative about these devices. Consoles aren't just game-playing devices anymore, they're home-entertainment providers that let you watch movies and listen to music. Microsoft even hired Zachary Quinto to appear for eight seconds in an Xbox One ad just so it can show you that the device plays movies like Star Trek Into Darkness.

Nintendo is the odd kid in class, not fitting in because its latest console doesn't playDVDs or Blu-ray (though at least it has Netflix, Amazon Instant Video, Hulu Plus and other streaming services via TVii), instead choosing to double down on hardware innovation with the GamePad controller. Problem is, platform exclusivity is largely in the past, and when most companies are making games for as many platforms as possible, they're not going to gear those games toward the capabilities of any one system. This leaves any of the GamePad's interesting features unloved and unused; curiosities that only Nintendo's development teams are willing to explore.

In doubling down on gaming with the Wii U, Nintendo isn't trying to win the console race with Sony and Microsoft. Sure, the Wii U embraced streaming in a way its predecessor didn't, with the introduction of TVii and allowing consumers to even use the GamePad as a remote. But that isn't the device's primary purpose; it's more a measure to prevent you from pushing the console to the back of your entertainment center when you just want to watch some TV.

In contrast, both the Xbox One and PlayStation 4 come from bigger, more diverse companies with more resources and larger ecosystems -- including Sony's music and movie holdings and Microsoft's expansion of the Xbox Live platform to Windows and Windows Phone -- making it a battle that Nintendo is unlikely to win.

As the PlayStation and Xbox continue to evolve, they're moving out of the game console space and into another category entirely, leaving Nintendo as the only major contender. And that's a battle Nintendo can win, if it can justify to consumers why it's worth buying a game console in addition to a PlayStation or Xbox entertainment console that can also play games, music and movies on far more technologically advanced hardware. And to do that, it needs to dig through its own backpack a bit more to find the one shiny bauble that will impress the class at the next show-and-tell.

SOURCE

First off, the turnaround in media perception of Nintendo's console is hilarious. What the hell happened, why are outlets who have been calling for Nintendo's blood for a full year suddenly so bright on the Wii U?

Secondly, I'm glad to see someone seems to get it: ultimately, it comes down to games. The Wii U does not necessarily have to be the best console on the market (it won't be): it just needs to have enough compelling games that you have to pick on up, and it's set. So far, Nintendo seems to be on a good start with that front.

hiphops_savior

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 5

User Lists: 2

#2  Edited By hiphops_savior
Member since 2007 • 8535 Posts

I saw it coming for months, and I'm not going to say "I told you so". At the end of the day, it's the games that justify your purchase and investment.

PCgameruk

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

#3 PCgameruk
Member since 2012 • 2273 Posts

@hiphops_savior:

How exactly does ports of old games justify an investment? And what if you don't like or sick of Mario games? And then if you move onto multiplatform games. The Wii U is going to be losing out on great games because its underpowered compared to PS4/Xbox. Explain to me how that could be a good investment.

trollop_scat

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 6

#4 trollop_scat
Member since 2006 • 2656 Posts

@charizard1605 said:

First off, the turnaround in media perception of Nintendo's console is hilarious. What the hell happened, why are outlets who have been calling for Nintendo's blood for a full year suddenly so bright on the Wii U?

They saw what the competition brought to the table and suddenly the new Mario game looked like a lot more fun. Hell, even I'm considering a Wii U and I'm one of the biggest Nintendo haters here. The PS4 can wait a year or so...

no-scope-AK47

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

#5 no-scope-AK47
Member since 2012 • 3755 Posts

Wii u is a poor value as a game console vs the ps4/x1/ps3/360. It also has the worse online gaming and is missing a ton of media features. The wii u is dead nintendo has weak hardware and nobody is using their gimmick besides a couple games not like they have many games anyway. The only good thing is it's backward compatible and the online is free.

hiphops_savior

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#6 hiphops_savior

@PCgameruk: I never said which games. If Mario is your cake, then buy a Wii U. If you prefer Uncharted or Killzone, buy a PS4. I won't tell you which console to buy, it's your money and your choice to get into debt.

BTW, Wii U isn't losing multiplats because of outdated hardware, it's losing them because publishers doesn't want to invest in a foreign architecture with a low return.

freedomfreak

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#7  Edited By freedomfreak
Member since 2004 • 52420 Posts

It will serve just fine as a secondary console.

Heil68

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#8 Heil68
Member since 2004 • 60681 Posts

They also picked PS4 over Xbone.

no-scope-AK47

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#9 no-scope-AK47

@freedomfreak said:

You must have alot of free time.

freedomfreak

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#10 freedomfreak
@no-scope-AK47 said:

I don't see what that has to do with anything. It will suffer from droughts due to the fact that it will miss out on multiplats, making it more of a secondary console.

anybodykilla15

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#11  Edited By anybodykilla15
Member since 2005 • 114 Posts

I am really set on a wii u.

with all these microtransactions frolicking on both xb1 or ps4,

I want a full game, seems only Nintendo recognise that

XboxDone74

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 5

#12  Edited By XboxDone74
Member since 2013 • 2116 Posts

bbkkristian

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 15

User Lists: 1

#13  Edited By bbkkristian
Member since 2008 • 14971 Posts

@hiphops_savior said:

@PCgameruk: I never said which games. If Mario is your cake, then buy a Wii U. If you prefer Uncharted or Killzone, buy a PS4. I won't tell you which console to buy, it's your money and your choice to get into debt.

BTW, Wii U isn't losing multiplats because of outdated hardware, it's losing them because publishers doesn't want to invest in a foreign architecture with a low return.

Like some handheld I know...

no-scope-AK47

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#14  Edited By no-scope-AK47

@freedomfreak said:
@no-scope-AK47 said:

I don't see what that has to do with anything. It will suffer from droughts due to the fact that it will miss out on multiplats, making it more of a secondary console.

Makes no sense to buy another console that you will never play but a couple times per year. It cost 3/4 the price of the ps4 and that is after the price drop. Can you say waste of money. Personally I don't think the wii u has a future the numbers are horrible. The ps4 will pass it for sure by march 2014 by at least 1 million units. So why invest in a dead system ??

freedomfreak

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#15 freedomfreak
@no-scope-AK47 said:

Makes no sense to buy another console that you will never play but a couple times per year. It cost 3/4 the price of the ps4 and that is after the price drop. Can you say waste of money. Personally I don't think the wii u has a future the numbers are horrible. The ps4 will pass it for sure by march 2014 by at least 1 million units. So why invest in a dead system ??

It has games I want, and it's getting games I want. It's not gonna die. Yes, the numbers are bad, but it isn't going anywhere.

Why should anyone care about how much other consoles are selling?
You buy a WiiU for Nintendo's first party. That's about it.

Some see value in that. Some don't.

BPoole96

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

#16  Edited By BPoole96
Member since 2008 • 22818 Posts

I agree with them. The XBone and PS4 are literally HTPCs made from off the shelf PC parts. Console gamers swear they hate PC gaming and want nothing to do with it but as the industry progresses, consoles are just becoming PCs without the openness.

ArisShadows

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#17 ArisShadows
Member since 2004 • 22784 Posts

@freedomfreak said:

It will serve just fine as a secondary system.

Fixed, luv.

Along side my future PS4, it will do nicely along my PC.

babycakin

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#18 babycakin
Member since 2012 • 1597 Posts

@no-scope-AK47 said:

@freedomfreak said:
@no-scope-AK47 said:

Makes no sense to buy another console that you will never play but a couple times per year.

Hmm then I guess PS3 was also a dead console since I only played it a couple times a year. /smh

treedoor

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#19 treedoor
Member since 2004 • 7648 Posts

Nah.

All three consoles have the "primary" purpose of playing games in addition to media features.

The only difference is that the Wii U has provided more reason to use it for its primary purpose right now than the other two consoles.

ArisShadows

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#20 ArisShadows
Member since 2004 • 22784 Posts

@treedoor said:

Nah.

All three consoles have the "primary" purpose of playing games in addition to media features.

The only difference is that the Wii U has provided more reason to use it for its primary purpose right now than the other two consoles.

This is acceptable as well.

crimsonman1245

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#21 crimsonman1245
Member since 2011 • 4253 Posts

I'm failing to see why the Wii U is more of a gaming console than the PS4.

no-scope-AK47

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#22  Edited By no-scope-AK47

@freedomfreak said:
@no-scope-AK47 said:

It has games I want, and it's getting games I want. It's not gonna die. Yes, the numbers are bad, but it isn't going anywhere.

Why should anyone care about how much other consoles are selling?

You buy a WiiU for Nintendo's first party. That's about it.

Some see value in that. Some don't.

How can it live why would nintendo keep making a system that is not selling. At the end of the day if it don't make dollars it don't make cents. Last I checked the wii u was selling slower than the gamecube. It cost alot of money to make games and produce consoles

freedomfreak

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#24 freedomfreak
@no-scope-AK47 said:

How can it live why would nintendo keep making a system that is not selling. At the end of the day if it don't make dollars it don't make cents. Last I checked the wii u was selling slower than the gamecube. It cost alot of money to make games and produce consoles

By putting out games and bundles. The WiiU already had a bump with that bundle in Japan. I'm not sure if 3D World is moving systems, as we have yet to get numbers.

There's also Mario Kart and Smash Bros on the way, and they will sell consoles for sure. WiiU isn't gonna set any records or leave other consoles in the dust. It will serve as a system that will play Nintendo exclusives. Nintendo will keep on supporting it, because it's probably gonna do better once the heavy hitters arrive. And they have the 3DS dominating the handheld market.

They have money to spare. They're not gonna kill this thing off.

anybodykilla15

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#25 anybodykilla15
Member since 2005 • 114 Posts

also Zelda, Metroid, star fox, f zero,

if any of the latter make an appearance on wii u.....

it already justifies its existence

Jakandsigz

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#26 Jakandsigz
Member since 2013 • 6341 Posts

More Resogun Defender comparisons by people who don't know what Defender is.

DarkLink77

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

#27 DarkLink77
Member since 2004 • 32731 Posts

It definitely has the best lineup this holiday, that's for sure.

Fizzman

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

#28 Fizzman
Member since 2003 • 9895 Posts

Wii U is a joke.

Avatar image for deactivated-5acbb9993d0bd
deactivated-5acbb9993d0bd

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#29  Edited By deactivated-5acbb9993d0bd
Member since 2012 • 12449 Posts
@no-scope-AK47 said:

@freedomfreak said:

Its not about free time, its about variety. It offers something unique.

AznbkdX

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#30  Edited By AznbkdX
Member since 2012 • 4284 Posts

Well the article is not entirely wrong I guess. The further you push consoles multimedia or otherwise, the closer they get to PC status.

Overall the WiiU is a great secondary to what you got. Same as the Wii and the GC before it.

DarkGamer007

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#31 DarkGamer007
Member since 2008 • 6033 Posts

"Journalism" in the traditional sense is largely dead, people don't want well thought-out, constructive, and well written articles about a particular topic that may leave a massive question unanswered given the research. People want instant news, binary and often extreme viewpoints ("Thing "x" will be the death of us all!", "THIS IS THE GREATEST THING EVAR EVERYTHING ELSE SUCKS!") regardless if it is well written or not, rooted in logic, or simply "knee-jerk". A website claiming that Nintendo, the savior of the home console market in the United States, has fallen off and will soon fail to their competition is going to garner far more website views, responses, shares, and attention than an article looking at the complete situation, and coming to a more likely and reasonable conclusion. When the Wii-U launched it failed to have a decent library of games, it was missing numerous features, and failed to meet the sales and hype of the original Wii. It didn't matter than the 3DS had turned itself into money printing machine that absolutely crushed it's more power competition, the Vita, and its more vast competition of mobile and tablet video games, the Wii-U wasn't do well so it was bound to be the worst thing since the Virtual Boy and cause the catastrophic downfall of Nintendo. Sony has been bleeding money for years, and isn't in the best financial situation, yet video game journalists will seldom mention that, but Nintendo not making a profit for the first time in 150 years? Clearly it's over for them. Now that the other consoles have launched and the train of hype has been hit by reality, people are starting to see that the Wii-U is better than initially thought, especially after it's had a year to flesh out it's library of games and console features. A lot of "journalism" has become so knee-jerk that it becomes hard to take it seriously. The same websites that were claiming that the 3DS would be the end of Nintendo, are now praising the success of the 3DS while claiming the Wii-U is the new death of Nintendo.

zassimick

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 142

#32 zassimick  Moderator
Member since 2004 • 10470 Posts

Console has been ore than worth it for me already and I'm still missing a few of the big games it has so far. Looking forward to what Nintendo brings to the table.

Zoso813

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#33  Edited By Zoso813
Member since 2013 • 310 Posts

Wii U gets one critically acclaimed game and suddenly it's the best console out there. Talk about victims of the moment.

AznbkdX

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#34  Edited By AznbkdX
Member since 2012 • 4284 Posts

@Zoso813: Haha pretty much. ;)

Jakandsigz

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#35 Jakandsigz
Member since 2013 • 6341 Posts

@DarkGamer007 said:

the savior of the home console market in the United States,

I am sure you have no back-up for this.

Kingpin0114

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#36 Kingpin0114
Member since 2008 • 2607 Posts

Once the holiday sales come out for the 3 consoles, these same outlets will go back to saying how doomed the WiiU is.

FireEmblem_Man

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 7

#37  Edited By FireEmblem_Man
Member since 2004 • 20248 Posts

It took you this long to realize this? Sean Malstrom is way ahead of these journalists

Animal-Mother

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 11

#38  Edited By Animal-Mother
Member since 2003 • 27362 Posts

Char the Wii U might have compelling games. But they'll be the same old shit.

Zelda, Mario, Smash bros.....

The Wii-U has lost third party support and people are starting to tire of it. Also picking out any old article that helps you prove a point doesn't work anymore.

The Wii-U is great. I own one for all the great ninty franchises. But I haven't seriously played a nintendo console since 64.

Also this is utter horse shit

"As the PlayStation and Xbox continue to evolve, they're moving out of the game console space and into another category entirely"

Has this guy tried PS4? Or What? Because I'd say MS is moving the Xbox brand to a more home entertainment side of things.

PS4 is anything BUT super focused on all this media and TV integration

DarkGamer007

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#39  Edited By DarkGamer007
Member since 2008 • 6033 Posts

@Jakandsigz said:

@DarkGamer007 said:

the savior of the home console market in the United States,

I am sure you have no back-up for this.

In 1983 the home video game market crashed. It didn't just lose popularity, the entire market crashed. The computer video game market was still alive, but home consoles were not wanted by anyone. Everyone thought Nintendo was crazy to attempt to release a home console, so much in fact that Nintendo had to create several accessories for the Nintendo Entertainment System like R.O.B. in order to convince retailers that the NES was not merely just a home video game console, but an Entertainment System for the living room and make a risky promise that Nintendo would purchase back ever unsold console if the NES did not make sales expectations in order for retailers to even stock and sell the system.

It was the Nintendo Entertainment System that revitalized the market entirely. Without Nintendo, who knows where the market would be today. This information is pretty well known and engrained in video game history.

Video Game Crash of 1983.

Video about the Crash of 1983.

Video about Nintendo Entertainment System and the market revival.

voljin1987

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 6

#40 voljin1987
Member since 2012 • 1135 Posts

@Zoso813 said:

Wii U gets one critically acclaimed game and suddenly it's the best console out there. Talk about victims of the moment.

One critically acclaimed game and other must play unique games which will not see the light of day on other consoles. Example : Wonderful 101 and Zombi U

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#41 deactivated-5d6bb9cb2ee20

@Animal-Mother said:

The Wii-U has lost third party support and people are starting to tire of it. Also picking out any old article that helps you prove a point doesn't work anymore.

The Wii-U is great. I own one for all the great ninty franchises. But I haven't seriously played a nintendo console since 64.

"As the PlayStation and Xbox continue to evolve, they're moving out of the game console space and into another category entirely"

Has this guy tried PS4? Or What? Because I'd say MS is moving the Xbox brand to a more home entertainment side of things.

Really? What about games like X or Wonderful 101?

Nintendo relies on its franchises a lot. Cool, that's established. Ignoring entirely that Nintendo innovates more within a single franchise than so called new IPs ever do (which are instead just uninspired clones of Call of Duty/Skyrim/Gears of War/whatever the big game in their genre is), why are we ignoring the fact that Nintendo is, in fact, trying to develop 'new' IPs too, and real new IPs, not just old concepts in a new dressing?

Not played a Nintendo console seriously? Dunno what that even means, man.

Also, this article isn't old. It's from today.

Avatar image for deactivated-5d78760d7d740
deactivated-5d78760d7d740

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#42 deactivated-5d78760d7d740
Member since 2009 • 16386 Posts

Yeah...for $300 it definitely is not a good option. Maybe at $200.

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#43 deactivated-5d6bb9cb2ee20

@XVision84 said:

Sure, let's spend $400 on a PS4 or $500 on an Xbox One and play *tumbleweed.gif*

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#44 deactivated-5d78760d7d740

@charizard1605 said:

@XVision84 said:

Sure, let's spend $400 on a PS4 or $500 on an Xbox One and play *tumbleweed.gif*

$400 on a next gen console > $300 on a last gen console > $500 on a crappy console.

Animal-Mother

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 11

#45 Animal-Mother
Member since 2003 • 27362 Posts

@charizard1605 said:

@Animal-Mother said:

Really? What about games like X or Wonderful 101?

Nintendo relies on its franchises a lot. Cool, that's established. Ignoring entirely that Nintendo innovates more within a single franchise than so called new IPs ever do (which are instead just uninspired clones of Call of Duty/Skyrim/Gears of War/whatever the big game in their genre is), why are we ignoring the fact that Nintendo is, in fact, trying to develop 'new' IPs too, and real new IPs, not just old concepts in a new dressing?

Not played a Nintendo console seriously? Dunno what that even means, man.

Also, this article isn't old. It's from today.

What the one game and the two 2-3 multiplats that will come out a year that are worth it? It's nothing compared to what is offered EVERYWHERE else. Also No nintendo doesn't innovate more in a single franchise than new IP's. And the only reason they do is because they've exhausted every avenue.

Also spoken like a true sheep. Nintendo and innovate rarely go together.

Also I use any old article as a term of reference. I'm not saying it's an old article. I'm not an idiot.

ultimate-k

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#46 ultimate-k
Member since 2010 • 2348 Posts

Ye it is about the games, with Wii u, your playing the waiting game, with ps4/x1 there are games coming out all the time, not once every 6 months.

hiphops_savior

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#47 hiphops_savior

@ultimate-k: Then what are you doing on this forum?

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#48  Edited By deactivated-5d6bb9cb2ee20

@XVision84 said:

$400 on a next gen console > $300 on a last gen console > $500 on a crappy console.

Ignorance is bliss, my friend

@Animal-Mother said:

What the one game and the two 2-3 multiplats that will come out a year that are worth it? It's nothing compared to what is offered EVERYWHERE else. Also No nintendo doesn't innovate more in a single franchise than new IP's. And the only reason they do is because they've exhausted every avenue.

Also spoken like a true sheep. Nintendo and innovate rarely go together.

Also I use any old article as a term of reference. I'm not saying it's an old article. I'm not an idiot.

Are you telling me something like Metroid Prime or Super Mario Galaxy don't count as innovative? Wii Sports? Mario 64? Ocarina of Time? Majora's Mask?

Nintendo and innovate rarely go together? Their entire history is contrary to this, I really don't know what to say to that.

Incidentally, I want to point out that I don't necessarily agree with the premise of the article. In fact, what I believe is, to quote myself from the OP, 'ultimately, it comes down to games. The Wii U does not necessarily have to be the best console on the market (it won't be): it just needs to have enough compelling games that you have to pick on up, and it's set. So far, Nintendo seems to be on a good start with that front.' I am not quite sure what the issues with this statement are.

Look, I don't think we see eye to eye on the issue at all. You think that Nintendo has its place in console gaming, but that's not 'serious' console gaming. That's cool. But it also means we probably can't have a proper discussion on this, because seriously, none of us is about to convince the other person.

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#49 deactivated-5d78760d7d740

@charizard1605: So are you saying that a $400 PS4 is not worth it? :P

Wii U isn't a bad console, but seriously it's a lot weaker than next gen consoles for only $100 less.

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#50 deactivated-5d6bb9cb2ee20

@XVision84 said:

@charizard1605: So are you saying that a $400 PS4 is not worth it? :P

Wii U isn't a bad console, but seriously it's a lot weaker than next gen consoles for only $100 less.

I'm saying the Wii U is as much a next gen console as the other two.

And yes, PS4 at least is definitely a better value proposition in the long run. Not in the current moment of time, though, no.