Edge: PS4 launch in Europe early 2014, US/JP 2013, more powerful than next Xbox

• 187 results

This topic is locked from further discussion.

Blazerdt47

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

#1 Blazerdt47
Member since 2004 • 5671 Posts

Am I reading this right? Sony wants to put in 8GB of GDDR5?! :o

Edge: PS4 to launch in Europe in early 2014, US/JP 2013, more powerful than next Xbox

Development sources with working knowledge of both next generation consoles have told us that PlayStation 4 will be more powerful than the next Xbox, will ship with a redesigned controller and launch by the end of the year in Japan and the US. PlayStation 4s European launch will follow in early 2014.

Sony is set to reveal its next PlayStation on Wednesday February 20th at an event dubbed see the future. Sony Computer Entertainment released a teaser video last night to announce the event. Below, our sources revealed what to expect from PlayStation 4.

The controller

Sources close to the hardware have revealed to us that PS4 will ship with a redesigned controller which is the same size as an existing DualShock but features a small touchpad in place of the existing Select, Start and PS buttons. The tech is based on Vitas rear touchpad, and is similarly responsive in use. A new Share button on the controller will, when pressed, launch a new feature that will allow screenshots and video to be distributed online. The PS4 hardware will continually record the most recent 15 minutes of onscreen action (with no processing penalty, claims our source), which users will then be able to edit and broadcast via the Internet.

The launch

Were told that PlayStation 4 will launch in Japan and the US by Christmas, with a Euro rollout following in early 2014, the delay attributed to the complexities involved in European distribution. Alongside the console, Sony will also introduce a new, improved iteration of its PlayStation Eye peripheral, which remains compatible with the PlayStation Move controller. Move will be available at launch, but its not clear yet whether it will be bundled with the hardware.

The specification

Sony has already earned an enormous amount of goodwill among studios working with PS4 development hardware. Privately, Sony representatives have conceded that the company made a mistake in creating such esoteric architecture for PS3, and its strategy for PS4 gives developers more opportunities this time around, notably because the hardware is much more PC-like in its makeup than PS3.

We have confirmed with sources that recently leaked tech specs are accurate. Though Durango devkits offer 8GB of DDR3 RAM, compared to Orbiss 4GB, Sonys GDDR5 solution is capable of moving data at 176 gigabytes per second, which should eliminate the sort of bottlenecks that hampered PS3 game performance. Importantly, weve learned that Sony has told developers that it is pushing for the final PS4 RAM to match up to Microsofts 8GB.

Both platforms are driven by eight-core AMD CPUs clocked at 1.6GHz, with Microsoft opting for a D3D11.x GPU from an unknown source and Sony utilising a more capable solution in AMDs R10XX architecture, alongside the so-called Liverpool system-on-chip.

Its clear Sony has designed a system that, on paper, outperforms Microsofts next Xbox. One source familiar with both platforms tells us that in real terms Sonys console is slightly more powerful and very simple to work with.

Ultimately, the performance differences between the two consoles will have as much bearing on multiplatform releases as the differences between PS3 and 360 very little but Sony will be expecting big-budget firstparty releases such as the PS4 Uncharted sequel to demonstrate its consoles superiority.

kuraimen

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#2 kuraimen
Member since 2010 • 28078 Posts
The Power of The Cell Strikes Again!
Avatar image for ninjapirate2000
ninjapirate2000

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#3 ninjapirate2000
Member since 2008 • 3347 Posts
Old.
CWEBB04z

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

#4 CWEBB04z
Member since 2006 • 4879 Posts
Sony wins
faizan_faizan

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#5 faizan_faizan
Member since 2009 • 7869 Posts
The Power of The Cell Strikes Again!kuraimen
TEH CEZLLZLZLLZL FUR TEHZ WEEEEEEZNZZZNZZZZZ!!!!!!!!!!!1111111111oneone
DISSESHOWEDO

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

#6 DISSESHOWEDO
Member since 2010 • 1775 Posts

Can't understand why not simultaneous release, but it's ok with me. I'll have more time to finish my collection of games and buy some new ones cheap !

KillzoneSnake

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 37

#7 KillzoneSnake
Member since 2012 • 2761 Posts

I will never need to buy another console again :oops:

jimmypsn

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#8 jimmypsn
Member since 2010 • 4425 Posts

"Privately, Sony representatives have conceded that the company made a mistake in creating such esoteric architecture for PS3"

Wow they finally admitted this.  Good that Sony is being honest.

Zophar87

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#9 Zophar87
Member since 2008 • 4344 Posts

Incoming $499 price point.

clyde46

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#10 clyde46
Member since 2005 • 49061 Posts
Why is the EU getting it last again!?
Pelon208

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#11 Pelon208
Member since 2005 • 3375 Posts

Damit I'm so hype right now!!! :D

jimmypsn

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#12 jimmypsn
Why is the EU getting it last again!?clyde46
Sony doesn't reward loyalty as well as cows hope they would LOL.
Pelon208

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#13 Pelon208
Member since 2005 • 3375 Posts

Euro rollout following in early 2014, the delay attributed to the complexities involved in European distribution.

RR360DD

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#14 RR360DD
Member since 2011 • 14099 Posts

I expected as much from Sony (EU delay). Ill be getting the new Xbox this year as Microsoft can actually do a worldwide launch, and then the PS4 next.

k2theswiss

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 5

User Lists: 1

#15 k2theswiss
Member since 2007 • 16599 Posts

pretty easy for something to be stonger when neither of them in public eye yet lol

jimmypsn

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#16 jimmypsn

Why is Europe getting stiffed by Sony.  I thought Playstation was a stronghold there.  Oh well.

Blazerdt47

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#17 Blazerdt47

[QUOTE="clyde46"]Why is the EU getting it last again!?jimmypsn

Maybe this is to make up for all the crappy PS+ US region has been getting compared to EU. :P

Under_Armour

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#18 Under_Armour
Member since 2011 • 54 Posts
Have fun waiting EU lol.
Avatar image for deactivated-59b71619573a1
deactivated-59b71619573a1

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#19 deactivated-59b71619573a1
Member since 2007 • 38222 Posts

Funny cos an "Insider" from Sony apparently said they are not trying to beat the Xbox on raw power. Yet here this says it's more powerful. So many conflicting stories. 

Giancar

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#20 Giancar
Member since 2006 • 19159 Posts

"Privately, Sony representatives have conceded that the company made a mistake in creating such esoteric architecture for PS3"

Wow they finally admitted this.  Good that Sony is being honest.

jimmypsn
One of the biggest mistakes with PS3
PSN + for ya!
super600

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 5

#21 super600  Moderator
Member since 2007 • 33103 Posts

Funny cos an "Insider" from Sony apparently said they are not trying to beat the Xbox on raw power. Yet here this says it's more powerful. So many conflicting stories. 

seanmcloughlin

I noticed that to.

Heil68

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#22 Heil68
Member since 2004 • 60714 Posts

Zophar87
Day fvcking 1, no questions asked.
themajormayor

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#23 themajormayor
Member since 2011 • 25729 Posts
Why release in US first? That place is garbage
Boddicker

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

#24 Boddicker
Member since 2012 • 4458 Posts

Good Lord *facepalm*

Why can't they make the new dualshock bigger?!?1

I'm so sick of having to use a controller that feels like it was designed for a toddler's hands, and I hate spending money on 3rd party peripherals.

KillzoneSnake

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#25 KillzoneSnake

Have fun waiting EU lol.Under_Armour

With all the exclusives ps3 getting on its last year its gonna be a fun wait :D

DerekLoffin

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 47

#26 DerekLoffin
Member since 2002 • 9095 Posts
[QUOTE="clyde46"]Why is the EU getting it last again!?jimmypsn

What does a simultaneous release have to do with loyalty? Getting at launch is generally the worst time to pick up a system. It has the highest price point, least developed software, lowest number of games, and could even have hardware issues. I could understand if you're desperate for an announced exclusive launch title, but there is no reason to be desperate for the hardware.
cainetao11

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 77

User Lists: 1

#27 cainetao11
Member since 2006 • 38036 Posts
Why release in US first? That place is garbage themajormayor
You folks would be speaking German or Japanese without us and Russia. That's why your gov stays so close to us now.
jimmypsn

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#28 jimmypsn
[QUOTE="jimmypsn"][QUOTE="clyde46"]Why is the EU getting it last again!?DerekLoffin

What does a simultaneous release have to do with loyalty? Getting at launch is generally the worst time to pick up a system. It has the highest price point, least developed software, lowest number of games, and could even have hardware issues. I could understand if you're desperate for an announced exclusive launch title, but there is no reason to be desperate for the hardware.

You sound like the ps4 will release years later. It's just a few months delay man. Relax.

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#29 deactivated-59b71619573a1

Have fun waiting EU lol.Under_Armour

Yeah cos launch titles for these systems are always so worth the price of admission. By the time it releases in the EU they will still be waiting for the good titles

DerekLoffin

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#30 DerekLoffin
[QUOTE="jimmypsn"][QUOTE="DerekLoffin"][QUOTE="jimmypsn"] Sony doesn't reward loyalty as well as cows hope they would LOL.

You sound like the ps4 will release years later. It's just a few months delay man. Relax.

I am relaxed, I'm asking a question. What does simultaneous release have to do with loyalty when buying at launch is the worst possible time to buy a system?
KillzoneSnake

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#31 KillzoneSnake

[QUOTE="Under_Armour"]Have fun waiting EU lol.seanmcloughlin

Yeah cos launch titles for these systems are always so worth the price of admission. By the time it releases in the EU they will still be waiting for the good titles

Not this time :) Naughty dog and Guerrilla Games as well as others have been working on ps4 games since 2011, if not before. There is a high chance PS4 could launch along with stuff like Uncharted 4.

jimmypsn

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#32 jimmypsn
[QUOTE="DerekLoffin"][QUOTE="jimmypsn"][QUOTE="DerekLoffin"] What does a simultaneous release have to do with loyalty? Getting at launch is generally the worst time to pick up a system. It has the highest price point, least developed software, lowest number of games, and could even have hardware issues. I could understand if you're desperate for an announced exclusive launch title, but there is no reason to be desperate for the hardware.

I am relaxed, I'm asking a question. What does simultaneous release have to do with loyalty when buying at launch is the worst possible time to buy a system?

Because everyone wants to be first. The first to get new games, new music, new movies. People covet being the first to own new gadgets etc etc.

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#33 deactivated-59b71619573a1

[QUOTE="seanmcloughlin"]

[QUOTE="Under_Armour"]Have fun waiting EU lol.KillzoneSnake

Not this time :) Naughty dog and Guerrilla Games as well as others have been working on ps4 games since 2011, if not before. There is a high chance PS4 could launch along with stuff like Uncharted 4.

Oh yay Uncharted 4, exactly what we need.

In other words an interactive tech demo where you stare at set pieces showing off the new hardware

clyde46

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#34 clyde46
Member since 2005 • 49061 Posts
[QUOTE="themajormayor"]Why release in US first? That place is garbage cainetao11
You folks would be speaking German or Japanese without us and Russia. That's why your gov stays so close to us now.

Rather be German than American.
Vari3ty

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#35 Vari3ty
Member since 2009 • 11111 Posts

Good Lord *facepalm*

I'm so sick of having to use a controller that feels like it was designed for a toddler's hands, and I hate spending money on 3rd party peripherals.

Boddicker

This. So I'll most likely have to choose between a seriously underpowered console or one that makes my hands cramp up like crazy... ugh.

Zophar87

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#36 Zophar87
Member since 2008 • 4344 Posts

[QUOTE="Zophar87"]

Heil68

Day fvcking 1, no questions asked.

As long as they have the games to back it up. Yep.

DerekLoffin

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#37 DerekLoffin

[QUOTE="Boddicker"]

Good Lord *facepalm*

Vari3ty

This. So I'll most likely have to choose between a seriously underpowered console or one that makes my hands cramp up like crazy... ugh.

Or you could buy a 3rd party controller if it really that big an issue for you.
themajormayor

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#38 themajormayor
Member since 2011 • 25729 Posts
[QUOTE="themajormayor"]Why release in US first? That place is garbage cainetao11

I already speak German
Boddicker

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

#39 Boddicker
Member since 2012 • 4458 Posts

[QUOTE="Vari3ty"]

[QUOTE="Boddicker"]

Good Lord *facepalm*

DerekLoffin

Or you could buy a 3rd party controller if it really that big an issue for you.

It pisses me off that I have to do that, and I refuse on principle alone.

With all the talk of them redesigning the dualshock I just ass-umed a size increase was mandatory since the majority of gamers are adults now.  I hope I'm not wrong and Sony rectifies this before the PS4 enters production.  Do asians have really small hands?

DrTrafalgarLaw

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#40 DrTrafalgarLaw
Member since 2011 • 4487 Posts

Durango :lol:

BigBoss255

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#41 BigBoss255
Member since 2010 • 3539 Posts
Why do Americans insult Europe? They are Europeans ffs, they've just moved to a new continent.
kuraimen

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#42 kuraimen
Member since 2010 • 28078 Posts

[QUOTE="seanmcloughlin"]

super600

I noticed that to.

Sony can beat the Xbox without even trying, that's what he meant.
coasterguy65

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 9

#43 coasterguy65
Member since 2005 • 7133 Posts

It's going to be a long month..

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#44 deactivated-59b71619573a1

[QUOTE="super600"]

[QUOTE="seanmcloughlin"]

kuraimen

I noticed that to.

Sony can beat the Xbox without even trying, that's what he meant.

Keep thinking that, Sony has the most to prove next gen. If MS fail with the console they're still a solid business. 

Frostbite24

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#45 Frostbite24
Member since 2003 • 4536 Posts

So wait, Sony said that they were going to let MS make the first move and then say that the PS4 will be more powerful than the nextbox without seeing what it is capable of? Actually I'm not confused at all, that is right up Sony's alley.

DarkLink77

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

#46 DarkLink77
Member since 2004 • 32731 Posts

Specs ain't final until they're final. I wouldn't be surprised if Sony or MS change it up before launch.

Truth_Hurts_U

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 8

#47 Truth_Hurts_U
Member since 2006 • 9703 Posts

Why do Americans insult Europe? They are Europeans ffs, they've just moved to a new continent.BigBoss255

Actually were all African. Since evolution theory says we evolved from there. And before that we were space dust.

Blazerdt47

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#48 Blazerdt47

Specs ain't final until they're final. I wouldn't be surprised if Sony or MS change it up before launch.

DarkLink77

I would hope to see MS change to at least 4GB of GDDR5 RAM but that's asking too much.

DarkLink77

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

#49 DarkLink77
Member since 2004 • 32731 Posts

[QUOTE="DarkLink77"]

Blazerdt47

I would hope to see MS change to at least 4GB of GDDR5 RAM but that's asking too much.

Eh... I dunno if that will make that much of a difference. It's faster for sure, but I dunno if a 4GB drop is worth it. But again, I don't know the specs or the numbers.
Drasonak

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#50 Drasonak
Member since 2012 • 1515 Posts
Why release in US first? That place is garbage themajormayor
We're the reason Europe even continues to exist, and not the German Global Empire. :cool: "Hey, uh, America, lol, we have an extremely passive-aggressive relationship and currently hate each other. Can you help us fight this war we started that you have no real stake in?"