Edge: PS4 launch in Europe early 2014, US/JP 2013, more powerful than next Xbox

• 187 results

This topic is locked from further discussion.

xhawk27

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

#101 xhawk27
Member since 2010 • 12183 Posts

More powerful even if they use the Same Video GPU from AMD. 

Martin_G_N

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#103 Martin_G_N
Member since 2006 • 2124 Posts
[QUOTE="ReadingRainbow4"]

[QUOTE="walkingdream"] I was gonna say i have 16gb of DDR3 In my PC and it seems more than fast enough to run things :P So long as the GPU and CPU are reasonably close the RAM won't matter all that much if you have enough of it ;)walkingdream

It's less about the size and more about the speed.

applications rarely use over 2gb. why sony wants to stick 8gb to compare with MS honestly has me puzzled.

Microsoft must have some bloated Kinect embodied interface is all I can think of.

probably :P I just think it's a bit overkill for people to count M$ out yet. I mean we don't even know the specs of Microsofts GPU! Which i think is probably much more important than the Ram for running graphics.

High end GPU's today have memory speeds of 170GB/s and up to around 400GB/s. It's a huge factor of how fast the GPU can work. So if the GPU has to work with 68GB/s in the nextbox, it will be slower than the PS4 at most games. It won't help having more RAM, that's for sure. The specs for the GPU in the next xbox has been released allready, and it's slower. 1.2Tflops AMD GPU with 32MB ES RAM for free AA, just like the X360. The PS4 has a 1.8Tflops AMD GPU.
xhawk27

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#104 xhawk27

[QUOTE="xhawk27"]

Desmonic

GDDR5 ram is better for games but the sheer amount of DDR3 memory on MS's machine (4 GBvs 8GB) might be more than enough to counter it. Expect them to be more even than this gen though.

You do know that GDD5 ram is very expensive and also it's not yet support in Motherboards in PCs. 

Avatar image for YearoftheSnake5
YearoftheSnake5

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 55

#105 YearoftheSnake5
Member since 2005 • 9716 Posts

Interesting, but power only goes so far. I'm more interested in seeing what games it will have. I skipped the PS3 entirely last gen, and quit the Xbox 360 about half way through. Sony's platform just didn't have games that interested me, or I tried them on a friend's system and found them to be disappointing.

Avatar image for ReadingRainbow4
ReadingRainbow4

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

#106 ReadingRainbow4
Member since 2012 • 18733 Posts

[QUOTE="Desmonic"][QUOTE="xhawk27"]

xhawk27

GDDR5 ram is better for games but the sheer amount of DDR3 memory on MS's machine (4 GBvs 8GB) might be more than enough to counter it. Expect them to be more even than this gen though.

You do know that GDD5 ram is very expensive and also it's not yet support in Motherboards in PCs.

I'm sure sony gets a killer deal for buying in bulk.

most likely around $15 per gb.

xhawk27

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#108 xhawk27

[QUOTE="xhawk27"]

[QUOTE="Desmonic"] GDDR5 ram is better for games but the sheer amount of DDR3 memory on MS's machine (4 GBvs 8GB) might be more than enough to counter it. Expect them to be more even than this gen though.Desmonic

That's why they will only have 4 GB of it. Like I said even with all those differences, they'll likely end up being even more similar this gen (performance wise) than the previous gen.

No doubt GDD5 ram is faster than GDD3 ram but the less you have of it means you can't have higer textures. So if PS4 only has 4gb and next Xbox has 8gb. 

xhawk27

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#110 xhawk27

I doubt Sony could afford to put in 8gb of DDR5 Ram. Also I think the Next Xbox is going to use 8gb DDR3 Ram, plus 2gb of DDR5 Video Ram. 

Avatar image for Sir-I_exCalibur
Sir-I_exCalibur

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#111 Sir-I_exCalibur
Member since 2013 • 724 Posts
Looks like its been confirmed by inside sources, PS4 > 720!!!
eboyishere

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#113 eboyishere
Member since 2011 • 12681 Posts

No way in hell will it be 8GB of DDR5.:?

**** is way to expensive. They might use DDR3 tho

Avatar image for deactivated-5f19d4c9d7318
deactivated-5f19d4c9d7318

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#114 deactivated-5f19d4c9d7318
Member since 2008 • 4166 Posts

xhawk27

That's why they will only have 4 GB of it. Like I said even with all those differences, they'll likely end up being even more similar this gen (performance wise) than the previous gen.

No doubt GDD5 ram is faster than GDD3 ram but the less you have of it means you can't have higer textures. So if PS4 only has 4gb and next Xbox has 8gb. 

Surely it wouldn't matter on consoles running no higher than 1080p anyway? Kind of defeats the purpose of high res textures.
Avatar image for Master_ShakeXXX
Master_ShakeXXX

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 142

#115 Master_ShakeXXX
Member since 2008 • 13361 Posts

Incoming $499 price point.

Zophar87

I'll gladly pay it.

Avatar image for StrongBlackVine
StrongBlackVine

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#116 StrongBlackVine
Member since 2012 • 13262 Posts

[QUOTE="StrongBlackVine"]

[QUOTE="DerekLoffin"] Remember, this is total memory, not just video memory. 8 gigs of video memory probably would be massive overkill, but 8 gigs of total memory is not that out of line, especially as it looks like they are going to be running memory heavy OSes.DerekLoffin

Only Kinect 2.0 will be be OS heavy. $80 Xbox Live fees incoming...

So is WiiU. They have 1 Gig reserved for the OS. The rumor so far place Sony's OS as 512 MB, which is still huge by the standards of this gen.

Sony will dedicate 1GB to the OS from I have read.

Avatar image for StrongBlackVine
StrongBlackVine

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#117 StrongBlackVine
Member since 2012 • 13262 Posts

[QUOTE="xhawk27"]

Desmonic

Except Microsoft will be dedicated 5GB of slow RAM to games while PS4 dedicates 3GB of much faster RAM. Microsoft will have a bloated OS.

RR360DD

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

#118 RR360DD
Member since 2011 • 14099 Posts

StrongBlackVine

Except Microsoft will be dedicated 5GB of slow RAM to games while PS4 dedicates 3GB of much faster RAM. Microsoft will have a bloated OS.

Based on a stupid rumour. Look at what microsoft has achieved with the 360, its OS footprint is far smaller than the PS3s. Microsoft is just better at software, so what exactly makes you think they will have a bloated OS
finalstar2007

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 9

#119 finalstar2007
Member since 2008 • 27952 Posts

This could be my second midnight launch that i go to.. im very excited for the next console and will be purchasing day 1 as long as $350 or less

Tessellation

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#120 Tessellation
Member since 2009 • 9297 Posts

- insider information - insider claims the console is more powerful without proof to back it up (only on paper and rumors )

- insider claims that xbox GPU is from unknown source,when is been known for long time that AMD has been developing the GPU.

- insider claims that Durango devkits offer 8GB of RAM when its well known fact that devkits pack double the amount of ram and there is durango kits with 16GB of ram

- insider is just another moron fanboy. Edge should feel bad for using clueless idiots as sources.

Tessellation

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#121 Tessellation

StrongBlackVine

And yet any of us knows how those 5GB of ram work.

savagetwinkie

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#122 savagetwinkie
Member since 2008 • 7981 Posts

[QUOTE="themajormayor"][QUOTE="Drasonak"] Because you're an edgy teenager who thinks he's cool for saying that. You know Germany is huge on censorship, right? Holocaust denial sites are banned, violent games like Dead Space are banned, Nazi propaganda videos are banned (Because **** history, right? Let's just pretend it never happened), etc. No freeze peach for you, sorry. Oh, and they're prime minister, Angela Merkel is a ****ing racist. "Multiculturalism has utterly failed." She says that as if these people are supposed to change over night. It takes a generation or two, just as it did when America started getting different ethnic groups from Europe and other places. How can she not realize this? Because she hates foreign brown people, that's why.Drasonak

I think stuff like gay marriage, abortion, evolution even being a discussion is worse than banning Nazi stuff :?. And if it's such a free country how come even curse words are censored? And even worse boobs.

You just proved you have no idea what you're talking about. :lol: I bet you also think the Higgs Boson is exclusively a European achievement? Just because you "heard" that it's like that, doesn't mean it's true.

Teaching evolution in schools isn't banned in any state. Any Board of Education that tries to hinder the teaching of it in any way (usually in the southern states) usually does not get reelected for the next term. But please tell me where we can't discuss evolution in the classroom instead of pulling bull**** you read from other members on here out your ass.

Abortion has been legal in all 50 states since 1973.

Gay marriage is legal in nine states, and civil unions are available in many more. Three states legalized it just last year, so it's obviously going to become much bigger by the end of the decade. The liberal bastion that is Sweden didn't even legalize it until 2009, and there many Western European countries, like Italy, that still have it banned. How far behind do you really think we are? Plus, America is a very religious country, which is why we have done so much (because we faith in God and he returns the favor). Gay marriage isn't necessarily a good thing.

Gay marriage isn't necesairly a good thing? tell that to the men that don't like va jay jay's.
savagetwinkie

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#123 savagetwinkie
Member since 2008 • 7981 Posts
[QUOTE="StrongBlackVine"]

[QUOTE="Desmonic"] GDDR5 ram is better for games but the sheer amount of DDR3 memory on MS's machine (4 GBvs 8GB) might be more than enough to counter it. Expect them to be more even than this gen though.Tessellation

And yet known of us knows how those 5GB of ram work.

it could be on a quad channel controller, and bee fast enough. If it's one thing I've learned M$ is willing to go the distance to make more balanced hardware than sony is. PS3 was an atrocity, all those big numbers, were all just theoretical.
ultraking

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#124 ultraking
Member since 2004 • 6904 Posts
I thought for sure the new consoles wouldn't launch until early 2015. Missed the mark on that one big time lol.. I need to get in on those SW bets
Primordialous

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

#125 Primordialous
Member since 2012 • 1313 Posts

- insider information - insider claims the console is more powerful without proof to back it up (only on paper and rumors )

- insider claims that xbox GPU is from unknown source,when is been known for long time that AMD has been developing the GPU.

- insider claims that Durango devkits offer 8GB of RAM when its well known fact that devkits pack double the amount of ram and there is durango kits with 16GB of ram

- insider is just another moron fanboy. Edge should feel bad for using clueless idiots as sources.

Tessellation

this x10

caseypayne69

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 43

#126 caseypayne69
Member since 2002 • 5395 Posts
Why do Americans insult Europe? They are Europeans ffs, they've just moved to a new continent.BigBoss255
Not all. I'm American. From Kentucky. If I were to move to Europe it would be the United Kingdom or Germany.
-Renegade

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 7

#127 -Renegade
Member since 2007 • 8340 Posts

A PS4 with 8GB of DDR5 oh my! :shock:

-Renegade

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#128 -Renegade
I thought for sure the new consoles wouldn't launch until early 2015. Missed the mark on that one big time lol.. I need to get in on those SW betsultraking
You really think Sony and M$ would give Nintendo a 2 year head start? Although they are not in direct competition with Wii U but still. Also Vita came out last year. Sony released PS3 one year after PSP came out so I expected no different for Vita and PS4.
-Renegade

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#129 -Renegade

[QUOTE="Tessellation"]

Primordialous

this x10

PS3 is more powerful then Xbox 360 what makes you think PS4 won't be the same?
Tessellation

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#130 Tessellation

-Renegade
first go find a mobo that supports 8GB of GDDR5 first :lol: because they don't exist :cool:
humpmasterflex

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#131 humpmasterflex
Member since 2003 • 363 Posts

Maybe this time we will actually get 4d graphics that the ps3 was said to deliver but failed miserably in doing so

mariokart64fan

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 101

User Lists: 1

#132 mariokart64fan
Member since 2003 • 20828 Posts

sony expensive fail station continuation 

killzowned24

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#133 killzowned24
Member since 2007 • 7345 Posts

Another major games site publishing rumors that PS4 will be best is making lemmings and sheep cry. :lol:

Blazerdt47

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#134 Blazerdt47
Member since 2004 • 5671 Posts

[QUOTE="DerekLoffin"][QUOTE="StrongBlackVine"]

Only Kinect 2.0 will be be OS heavy. $80 Xbox Live fees incoming...

StrongBlackVine

So is WiiU. They have 1 Gig reserved for the OS. The rumor so far place Sony's OS as 512 MB, which is still huge by the standards of this gen.

Sony will dedicate 1GB to the OS from I have read.

512MB RAM for PS4's OS, 4GB for 720's OS.

Peredith

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#135 Peredith
Member since 2011 • 2289 Posts

8gb of RAM? PC games only use 1.5gb max.

NoodleFighter

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#136 NoodleFighter
Member since 2011 • 11793 Posts

Funny cos an "Insider" from Sony apparently said they are not trying to beat the Xbox on raw power. Yet here this says it's more powerful. So many conflicting stories. 

seanmcloughlin

plus they claim those specs off a "leaked" rumor

killzowned24

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#137 killzowned24
Member since 2007 • 7345 Posts

[QUOTE="seanmcloughlin"]

Funny cos an "Insider" from Sony apparently said they are not trying to beat the Xbox on raw power. Yet here this says it's more powerful. So many conflicting stories. 

NoodleFighter

''We have confirmed with sources that recently leaked tech specs are accurate.''
super600

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 5

#138 super600  Moderator
Member since 2007 • 33103 Posts

[QUOTE="NoodleFighter"]

[QUOTE="seanmcloughlin"]

killzowned24

''We have confirmed with sources that recently leaked tech specs are accurate.''

They could be making this up for all we know and lying about it.

Avatar image for ReadingRainbow4
ReadingRainbow4

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

#139 ReadingRainbow4
Member since 2012 • 18733 Posts

[QUOTE="killzowned24"][QUOTE="NoodleFighter"]

super600

edge has a history of honesty.

This isn't game informer. It's more than likely what's been said has been correct.

super600

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 5

#140 super600  Moderator
Member since 2007 • 33103 Posts

[QUOTE="super600"]

[QUOTE="killzowned24"] ''We have confirmed with sources that recently leaked tech specs are accurate.''ReadingRainbow4

edge has a history of honesty.

This isn't game informer. It's more than likely what's been said has been correct.

I read an article that talked about how a lot of the leaks that are claimed to be true are actually false.

dramaybaz

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#141 dramaybaz
Member since 2005 • 6020 Posts

I will never need to buy another console again :oops:

KillzoneSnake
I feel the same, since I have had my PC for a few years.
Addict187

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#143 Addict187
Member since 2008 • 1128 Posts

Incoming $499 price point.

Zophar87
That is still cheep, and i will pay it with a smile
SonySoldier-_-

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#144 SonySoldier-_-
Member since 2012 • 1186 Posts

Durango :lol:

DrTrafalgarLaw

When I see the word "Durango" it makes me think of something that dangles or dingles.. Like a dingleberry.

tormentos

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#145 tormentos
Member since 2003 • 33784 Posts
[QUOTE="Tessellation"][QUOTE="StrongBlackVine"]

savagetwinkie
And yet known of us knows how those 5GB of ram work.

it could be on a quad channel controller, and bee fast enough. If it's one thing I've learned M$ is willing to go the distance to make more balanced hardware than sony is. PS3 was an atrocity, all those big numbers, were all just theoretical.

What a joke..lol
tormentos

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#146 tormentos

Tessellation
Hahahaha.. So much damage control on this post.. All sources point to the same...
Martin_G_N

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#147 Martin_G_N
Member since 2006 • 2124 Posts

[QUOTE="-Renegade"]

Tessellation

first go find a mobo that supports 8GB of GDDR5 first :lol: because they don't exist :cool:

You do know that motherboards in consoles are custom...right?? Consoles can have the same high bandwidth speeds through out the system, which is something Sony usually priorities.

tormentos

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#148 tormentos

[QUOTE="Tessellation"][QUOTE="-Renegade"]

Martin_G_N

You do know that motherboards in consoles are custom...right?? Consoles can have the same high bandwidth speeds through out the system, which is something Sony usually priorities.

Tesselation is having a meltdown..so épic.
Tessellation

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#149 Tessellation
[QUOTE="Tessellation"]

tormentos
Hahahaha.. So much damage control on this post.. All sources point to the same...

look how my comments make you butthurt.. :cool:
Tessellation

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#150 Tessellation
[QUOTE="Martin_G_N"]

[QUOTE="Tessellation"] first go find a mobo that supports 8GB of GDDR5 first :lol: because they don't exist :cool: tormentos

Tesselation is having a meltdown..so épic.

so epic how i get under your skin :lol :cool: