Duke Nukem Forever Hated by Critics, but Loved by Fans.

• 145 results

This topic is locked from further discussion.

Young_Charter

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 62

User Lists: 0

#1 Young_Charter
Member since 2009 • 20067 Posts
  • Well I believe it's obvious the game kinda would've taken a hit since its a 15 years old remake and been scrapped and started over to a brand new project over and over again. . But I believe no one cared after so long. They just wanted The Duke back after so many years. . See he was that Solid Snake, Master Chief, Kratos, Commander Shepard, Nathan Drake, Gordon Freeman back in the day. . And the sales perfectly fits him back in. . In my opinion, no one bought Duke Nukem Forever for The game. .They just bought it for The Duke. lol

• I think there will be a more serious and better Duke Nukem right after this one but more serious and worked on. It'll show Gearbox they have a lot of support from fans, but the reviewers will remind them a thing or two to to bring other audiences towards Duke and etc.
SPYDER0416

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 24

#2 SPYDER0416
Member since 2008 • 16736 Posts

Since the people who are fans have been expecting it to release, like, 12 years ago then that makes sense.

For a game that should have been out in 2000, it plays alright.

15strong

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

#3 15strong
Member since 2007 • 2806 Posts

There is a theory in physcology that says players who have waited 15 years are going to like the game more than someone who just heard about the game. Why? Because they force themselves to like the game because they have been waiting so long.

VensInferno

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 7

#4 VensInferno
Member since 2010 • 3395 Posts

Even though I have never played the first Duke Nukem, I thought this game would be alright. But you do have some great points Charter.

fueled-system

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#5 fueled-system
Member since 2008 • 6529 Posts

There will some that do but there are some that will play the game and will force themselves to like it when in actuality they truly deep down think it is an awful game

The "fans" may like it but I doubt many of them will

Krelian-co

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

#6 Krelian-co
Member since 2006 • 13274 Posts

There is a theory in physcology that says players who have waited 15 years are going to like the game more than someone who just heard about the game. Why? Because they force themselves to like the game because they have been waiting so long.

15strong

its probably right but i've been waiting aince duke 3d and still didnt like it, i just wanted to kill some aliens duke style and they insist on making people waste their time in useless tasks

Vyse_Legends

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#7 Vyse_Legends
Member since 2007 • 9387 Posts

There will some that do but there are some that will play the game and will force themselves to like it when in actuality they truly deep down think it is an awful game

The "fans" may like it but I doubt many of them will

fueled-system

Fans in denial are always the most entertaining of fans. They'll pretend to be in a different realitybefore theyadmit they were wrong.:P

15strong

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#8 15strong
Member since 2007 • 2806 Posts

[QUOTE="15strong"]

Krelian-co

its probably right but i've been waiting aince duke 3d and still didnt like it, i just wanted to kill some aliens duke style and they insist on making people waste their time in useless tasks

I really see this kind of thing happening in the PC gamer review. They say the reason the game has a bad story is to make fun and point out that other shooters have bad stories. Just complete denial.

Young_Charter

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#9 Young_Charter
Well of course some of us will think the game sucks while some others will think it's awesome. There will be always a crowd that misses the classic games back in the day. Let's say hypothetically This Gen was the last of Metal Gear Solid series or Halo series of Master Chief and in 2027 they finally came back but they sucked terribly to the gamers in that 2027 gen but us 2011 gen think they're friggin hot because they're 9 out of 10 and 10 out of 10 games today. . So let's go 15 years back. . DNF is at least an 8.0 out of 10. . but 15 years later, it's a 4.0 out of 10. This is a game that would be called a Past classic that lived for the Past-Present if you guys know where I am going at with this.
Remmib

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#10 Remmib
Member since 2010 • 2250 Posts
No, the fans are not loving DNF. No one is.
MrJack3690

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#11 MrJack3690
Member since 2004 • 2227 Posts

I'm loving the game so far. The single player is interesting but I haven't played enough to really judge yet.

The multi player was a blast from what I've played, definitely not the highest quality, but I'm having fun with it. The Lag is pretty unbearable, however. I don't know if it was because I played it immediately once it unlocked on Steam, or if it's just that bad, but if it wasn't so laggy it would be even more fun.

Edit: The game was gifted to me by my friend (wasn't really planning on picking it up) and I haven't played past duke games.

ChubbyGuy40

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#12 ChubbyGuy40
Member since 2007 • 26442 Posts

No, the fans are not loving DNF. No one is.Remmib

PC gamers are, and I will be tomorrow.

NeonNinja

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 115

#13 NeonNinja
Member since 2005 • 17318 Posts

[QUOTE="Remmib"]No, the fans are not loving DNF. No one is.ChubbyGuy40

Not this PC gamer.

commonfate

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#14 commonfate
Member since 2010 • 13320 Posts

From what I understand, some people are appreciating the Duke humor but that's as far as consistency goes. Other than that it seems to pretty generic as far as shooters go and really bad fan service.

Elann2008

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 17

#15 Elann2008
Member since 2007 • 33028 Posts
I'm having a blast. It's good ole Duke and better than a lot of the rehashed, recycled FPS games out there. People who were expecting DNF to be revolutionary and innovative were smoking something fierce. That isn't what Duke Nukem is about. This was more like a game that was never suppose to come out, but Gearbox wanted to deliver it to the fans, once and for all. A final tribute to Duke Nukem and his fans. Enjoy the game folks.
IndianaPwns39

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 73

#16 IndianaPwns39
Member since 2008 • 5037 Posts

I said it once I said it a million times, what's once more:

I never expected DNF to be mind blowing, and the 10+ development cycle greatly hurt it, especially if you know the history. Even then, I want the game to be a success. If Gearbox gets a chance to put out their Duke Nukem (DNF isn't their's, its still very much 3D Realms' game) with the proper development cycle and attention, I bet it would be an awesome game. So I really hope despite reception this game sells well enough to warrant a sequel.

hypoty

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#17 hypoty
Member since 2009 • 2825 Posts

From what I read on other forums fans dislike it as well.

ChubbyGuy40

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#18 ChubbyGuy40

I'm having a blast. It's good ole Duke and better than a lot of the rehashed, recycled FPS games out there. People who were expecting DNF to be revolutionary and innovative were smoking something fierce. That isn't what Duke Nukem is about. This was more like a game that was never suppose to come out, but Gearbox wanted to deliver it to the fans, once and for all. A final tribute to Duke Nukem and his fans. Enjoy the game folks.Elann2008

I gotta know this. WTF is the humor like? Just slightly read some of the Destructoid review before I noticed it was Jim Sterling doing the review again and while awful, it was better than IGN's and many others. He claims hes a fan of the humor, but theres no humor in it. I find that very freaking hard to believe and he's just bashing something that isn't CoD again.

Also how are the graphics? People make them out to be god-ugly but actually I thought the PC version was pretty decent.

ChubbyGuy40

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#19 ChubbyGuy40

I never expected DNF to be mind blowing, and the 10+ development cycle greatly hurt it, especially if you know the history. Even then, I want the game to be a success. If Gearbox gets a chance to put out their Duke Nukem (DNF isn't their's, its still very much 3D Realms' game) with the proper development cycle and attention, I bet it would be an awesome game. So I really hope despite reception this game sells well enough to warrant a sequel.

IndianaPwns39

They own the franchise. They can do a whole new game that doesn't take 14 years to make. I can't wait if they do.

razgriz_101

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

#20 razgriz_101
Member since 2007 • 16875 Posts

[QUOTE="Elann2008"]I'm having a blast. It's good ole Duke and better than a lot of the rehashed, recycled FPS games out there. People who were expecting DNF to be revolutionary and innovative were smoking something fierce. That isn't what Duke Nukem is about. This was more like a game that was never suppose to come out, but Gearbox wanted to deliver it to the fans, once and for all. A final tribute to Duke Nukem and his fans. Enjoy the game folks.ChubbyGuy40

I gotta know this. WTF is the humor like? Just slightly read some of the Destructoid review before I noticed it was Jim Sterling doing the review again and while awful, it was better than IGN's and many others. He claims hes a fan of the humor, but theres no humor in it. I find that very freaking hard to believe and he's just bashing something that isn't CoD again.

Also how are the graphics? People make them out to be god-ugly but actually I thought the PC version was pretty decent.

well it runs off UE2.5 but still looks fairly average tbh i would say its on par with say MW in some aspects on consoles its bout the same in fidelity but my only problem is the odd frame rate chug when it gets heavy going but i guess thatts down to engine and the ports.

Animations are bout fallout 3 level,dated and would say the character models are just slightly above their level on consoles.

Level's arent totally linear like people will make out on here sometimes you've got to bugger off and find something like a battery or figure out how to open a door etc which mixes it up a little.

Pretty sure if this released in say 2006-7 it would have been a fairly servicable 8 or 9 but y'know cod came along.

Elann2008

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 17

#21 Elann2008
Member since 2007 • 33028 Posts

[QUOTE="Elann2008"]I'm having a blast. It's good ole Duke and better than a lot of the rehashed, recycled FPS games out there. People who were expecting DNF to be revolutionary and innovative were smoking something fierce. That isn't what Duke Nukem is about. This was more like a game that was never suppose to come out, but Gearbox wanted to deliver it to the fans, once and for all. A final tribute to Duke Nukem and his fans. Enjoy the game folks.ChubbyGuy40

I've only played an hour or so of DNF, but if I tell you about it, it'll be a pretty big spoiler. Let's just say the elevator part was pretty funny. It's suppose to be a very serious sequence, but I couldn't keep a straight face. You'll see for yourself. The graphics on the PC is really good actually. It's no where near as ugly as people make it out to be. You could see the lack of textures here and there, but you could tell Gearbox tried to smoothen it out. It's not distracting. The game looks good and it's on par with some of today's games. On the other hand, there are some frame rate hiccups here and there, but overall, it's smooth.

N-K0d3R

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#22 N-K0d3R
Member since 2004 • 500 Posts

Does it make any sense to say that the game feels a bit (in fact, a lot) ... rushed ? It seems they were running out of time and opted to include some very irrelevant sequences in lack of some good levels (the 'dream' Duke has after he kills the 3tit Queen seems absolutely out of place and not connected to anything story or gameplay-wise) to lengthen the game.

Avatar image for HaloinventedFPS
HaloinventedFPS

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#23 HaloinventedFPS
Member since 2010 • 4738 Posts

the game is also well hated by fans

most of them are still waiting for that unreal 3 engine remake, i say just grab a high res pack, but ah well

Legolas_Katarn

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 14

User Lists: 1

#24 Legolas_Katarn
Member since 2003 • 15556 Posts

Even though I have never played the first Duke Nukem, I thought this game would be alright. But you do have some great points Charter.

VensInferno

3D would have been the third Duke Nukem not the first.

I really see this kind of thing happening in the PC gamer review. They say the reason the game has a bad story is to make fun and point out that other shooters have bad stories. Just complete denial.

That's pretty funny. Those people most have hated good parodies like Black Dynamite but they must love Epic Movie, Date Movie, etc.

That is not how you parody something. You don't make something suck because everything else sucks then defend your product by saying, "Yeah, it sucks, it was supposed to, so that makes it good." The game really should have been the 90s action parody Duke Nukem seeing the world as it is now. Have him as a washed up hero trying to reclaim his old glory. Have him in a Call of Duty parody level, : Duke theme plays: "What the **** is a reflex scope!?" : Duke meets up with soldiers: "Duke plant some C4 on this wall to destory it." : Duke Nukem uses his size 13 boot to bring down not only the wall but the building: : Duke Nukem arrives in a parody of Halo, shrinks and kills the MC, the grunts overthrow the rest of the covenant military as they all try to run away from Duke Nukem: : Duke Nukem gets in a flying combat simulator: "Altitude warnings are for *******." :flys into space to combat aliens powering the ship with his ego:

There was no thought put into this game from the look of it, not even any new guns.

IndianaPwns39

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 73

#25 IndianaPwns39
Member since 2008 • 5037 Posts

[QUOTE="IndianaPwns39"]

ChubbyGuy40

They own the franchise. They can do a whole new game that doesn't take 14 years to make. I can't wait if they do.

Exactly. Gearbox hasn't really disappointed me and the love for the Duke franchise is there so I think they could really make an awesome game.

Kevin-V

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 3

#26 Kevin-V
Member since 2006 • 5418 Posts

All the Duke fans I know hate it thus far. You'll find out what I think soon enough :)

Kevin-V

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 3

#27 Kevin-V
Member since 2006 • 5418 Posts

The game looks good and it's on par with some of today's games. On the other hand, there are some frame rate hiccups here and there, but overall, it's smooth.

Elann2008

If by today's games, you mean Legendary, or Breach, then... I suppose?

amaneuvering

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 5

#28 amaneuvering
Member since 2009 • 4809 Posts

I was a fan of the original and after seeing a few hours of this new game I can safely say I hate it.

The trailers for Duke Nukem Forever are far better than that actual game in the end.

razgriz_101

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

#29 razgriz_101
Member since 2007 • 16875 Posts

All the Duke fans I know hate it thus far. You'll find out what I think soon enough :)

Kevin-V

Im enjoying it for what it is tbh xD nothing more nothing less.Got it out asda for £33 last night and tbh average FPS with some good humour.

Defo gonna say its a 6-7 here..its no worse than brink on consoles mind you i detest that and liked this.

timmy00

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 26

#30 timmy00
Member since 2006 • 15360 Posts

There's quite a decent amount of games that the fans love but critics dislike. Hell I play most of them. >_>

Kevin-V

I got a bad feeling. :P

Maybe you'll will really like the game and give it 10?

:P

ChubbyGuy40

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#31 ChubbyGuy40

[QUOTE="Elann2008"] The game looks good and it's on par with some of today's games. On the other hand, there are some frame rate hiccups here and there, but overall, it's smooth.

Kevin-V

If by today's games, you mean Legendary, or Breach, then... I suppose?

Did you by chance review the PC or console versions, or both? Just wondering since the reviews seem to vastly differ.

I thought it looked pretty decent from just the demo. I'd say about Homefront good. That game looked a lot better than I thought it would on PC.

chocolate1325

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 306

#32 chocolate1325
Member since 2006 • 33007 Posts

I have been hearing negative feedback from fans as well it isn awful.

KiZZo1

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#33 KiZZo1
Member since 2007 • 3989 Posts

Couldn't a critic be a fan? If anything most of them should be a bit older and they could be influenced by nostalgia ...

skrat_01

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#34 skrat_01
Member since 2007 • 33767 Posts
The reception I've heard from Dook 3D fans is that the game itself isn't a good successor. I enjoyed 3D, I liked the Duke's ridiculous character and the array of soundboards and pranking at happened years after the game. But there isn't anything I've seen of Forever that changes my impression that it's a horribly flawed game, that doesn't know what It wants to be. Which considering its dev cycle time, makes perfect sense.
Filthybastrd

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#35 Filthybastrd
Member since 2009 • 7124 Posts

Can't say I hold critics in greater esteem than (non rabid) fans of a given series to be honest.... Apart from the handsome, intelligent and wonderfully charming Kevin V, I see most of them fall victim to pseudo intellectualism, their own fandom, severe schizophrenia in regards to objectivis and their own humanity.

It's not that I find them almost below human.... Actually, that's it!!! They're just people too!

Disclaimer: I'm not even entertaining the idea that Duke is good game.

I'm just saying that critics give out great scores to trash all the time, yet also manage to to go straight for Dukes throat, even if his junk is of the big dumn fun kind, that leaves you feeling dirty but satisfied.

Heil68

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#36 Heil68
Member since 2004 • 60714 Posts
[QUOTE="ChubbyGuy40"][QUOTE="Remmib"]No, the fans are not loving DNF. No one is.NeonNinja

Not this PC gamer.

This PC gamers is..now what?
Heil68

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#37 Heil68
Member since 2004 • 60714 Posts

Kevin-V
First negative score given out in GS history? :o :P
donalbane

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 19

#38 donalbane
Member since 2003 • 16383 Posts
Boobie jokes were funny before I'd seen any. Now it just seems juvenile.
rawsavon

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#39 rawsavon
Member since 2004 • 40001 Posts

15strong

That is not exactly accurate...but you are on the right track

weezyfb

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#40 weezyfb
Member since 2009 • 14703 Posts
indeed
WilliamRLBaker

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#41 WilliamRLBaker
Member since 2006 • 28915 Posts

Seems to me that duke nukem is good ol'stupid fun blow stuff up cause its kick ass fun...etc...etc and Critics dont like that even though some have actually said they want a game like that.

Avatar image for GunSmith1_basic
GunSmith1_basic

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 21

#42 GunSmith1_basic
Member since 2002 • 10548 Posts

Since the people who are fans have been expecting it to release, like, 12 years ago then that makes sense.

For a game that should have been out in 2000, it plays alright.

SPYDER0416
lol of course. It would have been the game that innovated health regen in that case. Most reviewers hate the game because it spits on its roots
SaltyMeatballs

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#43 SaltyMeatballs
Member since 2009 • 25165 Posts
Buh buh, reviewers will score high because of Nostalgia!
Young_Charter

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#44 Young_Charter
An I believe that Alice would get a bit of support since it'll be just only a few weeks after the Duke. She wasn't as popular as Duke Nukem, but to see another old face after Duke Nukem sets things right for that Alice Series. The only old classic that needs to step is game up is Tomb Raider.
dzimm

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 23

#45 dzimm
Member since 2006 • 6615 Posts

Everything I've read indicates that Duke Nukem Forever is a great nostalgic ride for Duke Nukem fans but is otherwise mediocre to average.

JKnaperek

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#46 JKnaperek
Member since 2006 • 2023 Posts

15strong
Sounds like a load of crap-talk to me considering the amount of games people have waited 15 years for.
Avatar image for Bread_or_Decide
Bread_or_Decide

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#47 Bread_or_Decide
Member since 2007 • 29761 Posts
Have you ever read player reviews on gamespot? They over rate EVERY friggin game esp if gamespot flops it.
Avatar image for deactivated-619c4c1a1a382
deactivated-619c4c1a1a382

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#48 deactivated-619c4c1a1a382
Member since 2005 • 4956 Posts
I personally know i'm affected by nostalgia, but this game puts me into a place where I was a younger person laughing all day at boobie jokes. And now I'm enjoying the game and chuckling along. Nothing wrong with that, Was it worth the 45$ I payed? I don't know, but i'll find out soon enough after i finish it.
speedfog

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 18

#49 speedfog
Member since 2009 • 4966 Posts

No, the fans are not loving DNF. No one is.Remmib

Oh please...

Heil68

Forum Posts