Duke Nukem Forever Hated by Critics, but Loved by Fans.

• 145 results

This topic is locked from further discussion.

DarkLink77

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

User Lists: 0

#101 DarkLink77
Member since 2004 • 32731 Posts
[QUOTE="NeonNinja"]This PC gamer has no interest in the Duke. Simple as that. Give me Rage or give me nothing. Id Software were the greatest in that era, 3D Realms was nowhere near them and their over-rated Duke doesn't match up to Id's various, nameless space marines.Heil68
I don't care about your age, I was just wondering how that was relevant to this game? I played those games back then and remember those times fondly. Quake 2 and Doom we're awesome but ID software has been a big disappointment to me in recent times with Quake 3 and 4 and Doom 3. I am enjoying DNF more so then any of those games, especially Doom3 , but I guess we'll just differ on opinions then. :)

id didn't make Quake 4, Heil. Just sayin'.
Heil68

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

#102 Heil68
Member since 2004 • 60718 Posts
[QUOTE="Heil68"][QUOTE="NeonNinja"]This PC gamer has no interest in the Duke. Simple as that. Give me Rage or give me nothing. Id Software were the greatest in that era, 3D Realms was nowhere near them and their over-rated Duke doesn't match up to Id's various, nameless space marines.DarkLink77
I don't care about your age, I was just wondering how that was relevant to this game? I played those games back then and remember those times fondly. Quake 2 and Doom we're awesome but ID software has been a big disappointment to me in recent times with Quake 3 and 4 and Doom 3. I am enjoying DNF more so then any of those games, especially Doom3 , but I guess we'll just differ on opinions then. :)

That's right! Raven Software made it. Aren't they doing the MP for MW3? :lol:
DarkLink77

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#103 DarkLink77
[QUOTE="Heil68"][QUOTE="DarkLink77"][QUOTE="Heil68"] I don't care about your age, I was just wondering how that was relevant to this game? I played those games back then and remember those times fondly. Quake 2 and Doom we're awesome but ID software has been a big disappointment to me in recent times with Quake 3 and 4 and Doom 3. I am enjoying DNF more so then any of those games, especially Doom3 , but I guess we'll just differ on opinions then. :)

That's the rumor. Why Raven of all developers would be assigned to do MP of all things is mind boggling. They should be doing SP, if anything.
beganoo

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

#104 beganoo
Member since 2009 • 1642 Posts

I'm enjoying the game a lot.Its a old school style shooter with the typical Duke humor(Its a love-hate kinda thing).This is what DNF was always supposed to be.Not another MW ripoff.Reviewers don't know ****.

Its has its problems but how could it not after 12 years of development?

Heil68

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#105 Heil68
Member since 2004 • 60718 Posts
[QUOTE="DarkLink77"][QUOTE="Heil68"][QUOTE="DarkLink77"] id didn't make Quake 4, Heil. Just sayin'.

That's the rumor. Why Raven of all developers would be assigned to do MP of all things is mind boggling. They should be doing SP, if anything.

If you played the MP in Wolfenstien on the 360, you know it's cause for concern. Give me a link to the forum you are reading up on DNF too, I would like to see that and I'm too lazy to google. :P
Metaw

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#106 Metaw
Member since 2010 • 387 Posts

I called this game awesome two days ago and I still think it is. But if it wasn't Duke it wouldn't be the same, he has a certain personality and no one can take his place. Btw I'm playing the 360 version of this game and am still able to enjoy it, what I like the most is the humor and puzzles/interactivity, being able to just relax and push a few buttons, talk to people and see what they say. The shooting is just filler to me, not as important as the other things I mentioned.

DarkLink77

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#107 DarkLink77

[QUOTE="DarkLink77"][QUOTE="Heil68"] That's right! Raven Software made it. Aren't they doing the MP for MW3? :lol:Heil68

If you played the MP in Wolfenstien on the 360, you know it's cause for concern. Give me a link to the forum you are reading up on DNF too, I would like to see that and I'm too lazy to google. :P

All I know is that Quake 4's single player was awesome. LINK

BodyElite

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#108 BodyElite
Member since 2009 • 2678 Posts
Did Gearbox take what 3d realms worked on and simply finish it, or did they create Forever from the ground up but in a rushed manner?
BodyElite

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#109 BodyElite

I'm enjoying the game a lot.Its a old school style shooter with the typical Duke humor(Its a love-hate kinda thing).This is what DNF was always supposed to be.Not another MW ripoff.Reviewers don't know ****.

Its has its problems but how could it not after 12 years of development?

beganoo
I was reading the IGN review and it says Forever doesn't know what it wants to be... Duke makes fun of current FPS's like a master chief like suit of armor, yet Duke can only hold 2 weapons like the Chief and also has regenerating health...
BodyElite

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#110 BodyElite
Thank god I have GameFly. Receiving my copy tomorrow, but insure as h*ll know i would never pay $60 for this
ChubbyGuy40

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#111 ChubbyGuy40
Member since 2007 • 26442 Posts

[QUOTE="ChubbyGuy40"]

[QUOTE="DarkLink77"]

Whoa. Duke is way better than the Doom guy. FACT.

On the subject on DNF, however, I will merely say this:

I was wrong.

DarkLink77

Wrong about wut?

A lot of things. The lack of console and fact that I have to activate the game through Steam has put me off from buying it, personally.

Whats wrong with that? I had to activate Shogun 2 over Steam and thats a GOTY contender!

DarkLink77

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#112 DarkLink77

[QUOTE="DarkLink77"][QUOTE="ChubbyGuy40"]

Wrong about wut?

ChubbyGuy40

A lot of things. The lack of console and fact that I have to activate the game through Steam has put me off from buying it, personally.

Whats wrong with that? I had to activate Shogun 2 over Steam and thats a GOTY contender!

I just don't like having to activate retail copies on Steam, that's all. I buy retail to avoid that stuff.
Ravensmash

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#113 Ravensmash
Member since 2010 • 13862 Posts
[QUOTE="ChubbyGuy40"]

[QUOTE="DarkLink77"] A lot of things. The lack of console and fact that I have to activate the game through Steam has put me off from buying it, personally.DarkLink77

I just don't like having to activate retail copies on Steam, that's all. I buy retail to avoid that stuff.

Generally wondering...why do Steam/developers force that?
Avatar image for MrSelf-Destruct
MrSelf-Destruct

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#114 MrSelf-Destruct
Member since 2010 • 13400 Posts
Did Gearbox take what 3d realms worked on and simply finish it, or did they create Forever from the ground up but in a rushed manner?BodyElite
Yup. That's exactly what they did. Just polished an old turd. lol
MrSelf-Destruct

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#115 MrSelf-Destruct

[QUOTE="DarkLink77"][QUOTE="ChubbyGuy40"]

Ravensmash

Generally wondering...why do Steam/developers force that?

Same reason they force Game for Windows Live on us. It's just another form of DRM. What really sucks is when you buy a game from the store and decide to activate it through steam and STILL have to activate it through Games for Windows Live. It's just ridiculous.

dontshackzmii

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

#116 dontshackzmii
Member since 2009 • 6026 Posts

i would say so yes

IndianaPwns39

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 73

#117 IndianaPwns39
Member since 2008 • 5037 Posts

Did Gearbox take what 3d realms worked on and simply finish it, or did they create Forever from the ground up but in a rushed manner?BodyElite

DNF is very much 3D Realms' game. Gearbox got the rights and basically put the pieces together and polished what they could.

ChubbyGuy40

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#118 ChubbyGuy40
Member since 2007 • 26442 Posts

[QUOTE="ChubbyGuy40"]

[QUOTE="DarkLink77"] A lot of things. The lack of console and fact that I have to activate the game through Steam has put me off from buying it, personally.DarkLink77

I buy retail for the pretty boxes :P

Can't wait though, 2 more hours till I have the BoS edition installed and playing it :D

skrat_01

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#119 skrat_01
Member since 2007 • 33767 Posts

Or it's just "fun". something most gamers/reviewers dont seem to care about. Hence the lack of the good ol "funfactor" criteria. dRuGGeRnaUt

Fun is an entirely subjective notion.

Anyone can have more "fun" with a cup and ball.

Which is why "fun" is the worst way to describe the qualities of anything if you're trying to critique it, or discuss why it's of good quality.

skrat_01

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#120 skrat_01

Same reason they force Game for Windows Live on us. It's just another form of DRM. What really sucks is when you buy a game from the store and decide to activate it through steam and STILL have to activate it through Games for Windows Live. It's just ridiculous.

MrSelf-Destruct
It's DRM and online framework. For a game that has a multiplayer component, applying pre existing framework is an advantage, which is an other reason GFWL and Steam is used frequently.
the-obiwan

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 5

#121 the-obiwan
Member since 2003 • 3747 Posts
im not a hardcore fan but i dont like it lulz.
NeonNinja

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 115

#122 NeonNinja
Member since 2005 • 17318 Posts

[QUOTE="Heil68"][QUOTE="DarkLink77"] That's the rumor. Why Raven of all developers would be assigned to do MP of all things is mind boggling. They should be doing SP, if anything.DarkLink77

All I know is that Quake 4's single player was awesome. LINK

I wouldn't call Quake 4 awesome, but it was certainly better than Doom 3. Couldn't even finish Doom 3. Too damn boring.

Quake 3: Arena is spectacular though!

MrSelf-Destruct

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#123 MrSelf-Destruct
[QUOTE="MrSelf-Destruct"]

skrat_01
It's DRM and online framework. For a game that has a multiplayer component, applying pre existing framework is an advantage, which is an other reason GFWL and Steam is used frequently.

I get that, but I don't see what's wrong with the way they've been doing it. If they want to use a pre existing framework, that's fine, but it'd be nice if they gave you a choice of who you want to activate it through. Activate through the one you want and let that be the end of it. Downloading a game from Steam and having to activate and play it through GFWL is crap.
PhazonBlazer

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 8

#124 PhazonBlazer
Member since 2007 • 12013 Posts

All the Duke fans I know hate it thus far. You'll find out what I think soon enough :)

Kevin-V

So when will the review be out Kevin?

Xtasy26

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 53

#125 Xtasy26
Member since 2008 • 5582 Posts

[QUOTE="Elann2008"] The game looks good and it's on par with some of today's games. On the other hand, there are some frame rate hiccups here and there, but overall, it's smooth.

Kevin-V

If by today's games, you mean Legendary, or Breach, then... I suppose?

You (and I suggest to others) should download the flawlessws mod. It cleans up the game a lot and makes it look a lot better.

http://forums.duke4.net/topic/4190-flawless-widescreen-updated-what-else-are-you-guys-doing-to-optimise-ya-duke/

eyebrows

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#126 eyebrows
Member since 2003 • 686 Posts

Even though I am enjoying DNF, I think in the future I will see why it's getting so much hate. I think back to my time spent on DRIV3R...oh how I loved the Driver series, completing both Driver 1 and 2 on the Playstation and seeing "Tanner and Jones return in 2002" at the end of Driver 2 even though it didn't come out until 2004. I had played GTA III, Vice City and even The Getaway to death and LOVED those games whilst I thought they would just be my fix until the REAL awesome game came out...DRIV3R - oh how wrong I was. I enjoyed the game at the time, purely because I was a Driver fan but looking back...DRIV3R absolutely SUCKED.

gcfreak898

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#127 gcfreak898
Member since 2003 • 2031 Posts

I don't care what the reveiwers say. The nights when I was a kid playing duke nukem on my packard bell 120mhz pc takes me back. So, give it a 1/10 I don't care I'm still going to get it and play it till I beat it like 5 times.

banderweir

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#128 banderweir
Member since 2007 • 45 Posts

What's so bad is I was only expecting a mediocre-at-best game and was somehow still THIS disappointed...

alexside1

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#129 alexside1
Member since 2006 • 4412 Posts

[QUOTE="Kevin-V"]

[QUOTE="Elann2008"] The game looks good and it's on par with some of today's games. On the other hand, there are some frame rate hiccups here and there, but overall, it's smooth.

Xtasy26

If by today's games, you mean Legendary, or Breach, then... I suppose?

You (and I suggest to others) should download the flawlessws mod. It cleans up the game a lot and makes it look a lot better.

http://forums.duke4.net/topic/4190-flawless-widescreen-updated-what-else-are-you-guys-doing-to-optimise-ya-duke/

He's not going to review the game with mods on.
DarkLink77

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#130 DarkLink77

Gamespy posted their review.They gave it a 2.5 out of 5.

What gaot me was the opening paragraph:

Let's get one thing straight: Duke Nukem Foreverhas a lot of ribald, off-color, politically incorrect, and flat-out gross moments in it. It objectifies women, possibly for comedic effect, possibly because it allows the game to have more boobs in it. It doesn't matter. The game has you grab a piece of poop out of a locker room toilet and hurl it at someone, possibly for comedic effect, possibly because the game's writers are into scatology. It doesn't matter. You may have an opinion as to whether or not these things are funny, or cool, or entertaining, and that's all legitimate -- but what isn't legitimate is trying to take Duke Nukem Forever to task for doing things you find inappropriate. Understand this: When it comes to matters of taste, the simple fact is that "inappropriate" doesn't exist.

liquidxtension

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#131 liquidxtension
Member since 2006 • 25 Posts

Here are some screens for you guys to decide which platform to get it on...honestly i think your best bet is on the pc.

bobcheeseball

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#132 bobcheeseball
Member since 2007 • 9316 Posts
Its ironic at how many fanbases this is the exact opposite.
DragonfireXZ95

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#133 DragonfireXZ95
Member since 2005 • 26649 Posts

I must put this screenshot in here, it was hilarious.

Xtasy26

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#134 Xtasy26

Played about an hour of it and the game is awesome so far. Retains many of the old Duke Nukem 3D stuff.

The graphics on the PC in FULL HD 1080P with FXAA and 16X Anistrophifiltering and the graphical mod that you can download makes the game look like NIGHT and DAY difference from the console version. Easily hitting 50+ FPS.

Xtasy26

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#135 Xtasy26

[QUOTE="Xtasy26"]

[QUOTE="Kevin-V"] If by today's games, you mean Legendary, or Breach, then... I suppose?

alexside1

He's not going to review the game with mods on.

It's not necessarily a MOD, if I may. It just clears up some of the disgusting blur effects that are in the game and makes it look much, much clear.

MrSelf-Destruct

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#136 MrSelf-Destruct

Let's get one thing straight: Duke Nukem Foreverhas a lot of ribald, off-color, politically incorrect, and flat-out gross moments in it. It objectifies women, possibly for comedic effect, possibly because it allows the game to have more boobs in it. It doesn't matter. The game has you grab a piece of poop out of a locker room toilet and hurl it at someone, possibly for comedic effect, possibly because the game's writers are into scatology. It doesn't matter. You may have an opinion as to whether or not these things are funny, or cool, or entertaining, and that's all legitimate -- but what isn't legitimate is trying to take Duke Nukem Forever to task for doing things you find inappropriate. Understand this: When it comes to matters of taste, the simple fact is that "inappropriate" doesn't exist.

DarkLink77
That's a good point. A lot of people are reacting to the off-color humor and objectifying of women as if they are offended or something, despite the fact that that's Duke's thing. They should have expected it. If you want to play with classic Duke Nukem, the humor is about the only place that the game stays true to its old self (even if it does take it overboard at times). My problem with the humor is that I (ME) do not find any of it very funny - not offensive, just bad jokes. The few things I got a chuckle out of (tiny chuckles, barely audible) were all the different easter eggs that make fun of other games and movies. Everything else is just meh.
DarkLink77

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#137 DarkLink77
[QUOTE="DarkLink77"]

MrSelf-Destruct
That's a good point. A lot of people are reacting to the off-color humor and objectifying of women as if they are offended or something, despite the fact that that's Duke's thing. They should have expected it. If you want to play with classic Duke Nukem, the humor is about the only place that the game stays true to its old self (even if it does take it overboard at times). My problem with the humor is that I (ME) do not find any of it very funny - not offensive, just bad jokes. The few things I got a chuckle out of (tiny chuckles, barely audible) were all the different easter eggs that make fun of other games and movies. Everything else is just meh.

The fact that the game references Tombstone and Gears of War 2's abysmal Maria storyline made me laugh.
LegatoSkyheart

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 16

User Lists: 1

#138 LegatoSkyheart
Member since 2009 • 29733 Posts

DarkLink77

Conkers Bad Fur Day and Apparently that game was awesome.

MrSelf-Destruct

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#139 MrSelf-Destruct
[QUOTE="MrSelf-Destruct"][QUOTE="DarkLink77"]

DarkLink77

The fact that the game references Tombstone and Gears of War 2's abysmal Maria storyline made me laugh.

The Maria storyline made me laugh when I saw it in Gears 2. In Duke it was even funnier. lol There's one part, close to the beginning, where an alien ship is landed on a circular platform, and from the side it looks exactly like the scene in Empire Strikes Back is where Boba Fett's ship is parked outside of Cloud City. Then the ship takes off and comes at you and you realize that it looks nothing like that at all. lol.
DarkLink77

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#140 DarkLink77
[QUOTE="MrSelf-Destruct"][QUOTE="DarkLink77"][QUOTE="MrSelf-Destruct"] That's a good point. A lot of people are reacting to the off-color humor and objectifying of women as if they are offended or something, despite the fact that that's Duke's thing. They should have expected it. If you want to play with classic Duke Nukem, the humor is about the only place that the game stays true to its old self (even if it does take it overboard at times). My problem with the humor is that I (ME) do not find any of it very funny - not offensive, just bad jokes. The few things I got a chuckle out of (tiny chuckles, barely audible) were all the different easter eggs that make fun of other games and movies. Everything else is just meh.

The Maria storyline made me laugh when I saw it in Gears 2. In Duke it was even funnier. lol There's one part, close to the beginning, where an alien ship is landed on a circular platform, and from the side it looks exactly like the scene in Empire Strikes Back is where Boba Fett's ship is parked outside of Cloud City. Then the ship takes off and comes at you and you realize that it looks nothing like that at all. lol.

Ha! That's great! :P
skrat_01

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#141 skrat_01
[QUOTE="skrat_01"][QUOTE="MrSelf-Destruct"]

MrSelf-Destruct

I get that, but I don't see what's wrong with the way they've been doing it. If they want to use a pre existing framework, that's fine, but it'd be nice if they gave you a choice of who you want to activate it through. Activate through the one you want and let that be the end of it. Downloading a game from Steam and having to activate and play it through GFWL is crap.

I completely agree, my preferences lie in choosing to active it or not - if there's a multiplayer component though you'd have to compromise. Otherwise yeah that is crap, but alas that boils down to how the publisher and developer want to go about things. It's cumbersome and stupid, I fully agree.
RawDeal_basic

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#142 RawDeal_basic
Member since 2002 • 1959 Posts

This is easily the worst game I've played this gen. I enjoyed the demo, but holy crap, the full game is terrible. I guess it's hard to judge a game by only playing a 10-15 minute sample of it. I hope that fat slob George Broussard never works in the industry again.

At least we still have Serious Sam. :?

Xtasy26

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#143 Xtasy26

Just to fill you guys on this tool that clears up many of the blur in the PC version of Duke Nukem Forever making the game look MUCH MUCH better.

If you get a xxxx.dll error when running the flawlessws tool, download the latest Microsoft C++ redistributable 2010 (I believe that's what it is). After that you have to run the program and the Run Duke Nukem Forever AT THE SAME TIME.

If you run the program and not Duke Nukem Forever the tool will NOT remove the blurry stuff in the game.

I spent a quite a bit of time trying to figure this out, but it was well worth the game looks much much clearer and MUCH better than the regular version and at 1080P with FXAA and 16X Anistrophic Filtering the game looks like a NIGHT and DAY difference.

LastRambo341

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#144 LastRambo341
Member since 2010 • 8767 Posts
[QUOTE="LastRambo341"]It is a sequel to Duke Nukem 3D and supposed to play like it. But hey, if it isn't modernized (like COD) then its BAD. loldrinkerofjuice
Have you been reading the reviews? A lot have specifically stated this is a bad Duke Nukem game, and that it's nothing like DN3D. Its been criticized for being a corridor shooter and not having the wide levels like DN3D. Its been criticized for the two weapon limit and regenerating health, as it resorts the game's action to have a "pop and shoot" formula, like CoD. Know what you're talking about, before you talk about it.

That is kinda funny because reviewers like IGN criticized the game for "not aging well" and "feeling dated"
Another-World

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#145 Another-World
Member since 2011 • 784 Posts

[QUOTE="ChubbyGuy40"]

[QUOTE="Remmib"]No, the fans are not loving DNF. No one is.NeonNinja

PC gamers are, and I will be tomorrow.

Not this PC gamer.