Duke Nukem Forever Hated by Critics, but Loved by Fans.

• 145 results

This topic is locked from further discussion.

Young_Charter

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 62

User Lists: 0

#51 Young_Charter
Member since 2009 • 20067 Posts
[QUOTE="speedfog"]

[QUOTE="Remmib"]No, the fans are not loving DNF. No one is.Heil68

Oh please...

I seem to be for some odd reason . :P

:lol: triple awesome post ;)
bleehum

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

#52 bleehum
Member since 2004 • 5321 Posts
[QUOTE="speedfog"]

[QUOTE="Remmib"]No, the fans are not loving DNF. No one is.Heil68

Oh please...

I seem to be for some odd reason . :P

So am I, the mutliplayer is pretty awesome, too.
Remmib

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#53 Remmib
Member since 2010 • 2250 Posts

[QUOTE="Remmib"]No, the fans are not loving DNF. No one is.ChubbyGuy40

PC gamers are, and I will be tomorrow.

You have been sadly misinformed.

DNF is a below average linear and scripted shooter, with the name Duke Nukem slapped on, that takes a steaming crap on it's predecessor.

razgriz_101

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

#54 razgriz_101
Member since 2007 • 16875 Posts

[QUOTE="ChubbyGuy40"]

[QUOTE="Remmib"]No, the fans are not loving DNF. No one is.Remmib

DNF is a below average linear and scripted shooter, with the name Duke Nukem slapped on, that takes a steaming crap on it's predecessor.

Just like Doom 3 :P in regards it was a tiny step forward but some steps back but still overall decent.

Remmib

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#55 Remmib

[QUOTE="Remmib"]

[QUOTE="ChubbyGuy40"]

razgriz_101

Just like Doom 3 :P in regards it was a tiny step forward but some steps back but still overall decent.

Except DNF is a step backwards in every imaginable way.

razgriz_101

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

#56 razgriz_101
Member since 2007 • 16875 Posts

[QUOTE="razgriz_101"]

[QUOTE="Remmib"]

Remmib

Except DNF is a step backwards in every imaginable way.

true but doom 3 just wasnt the same for me ;( neither is duke still playing it through and keeping it though since im that kinda guy who only trades in when in desperate need of money xD besides its a fairly easy 1000g aswell :P most of its just silly stuff xD

dzimm

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 23

#57 dzimm
Member since 2006 • 6615 Posts

I wonder if all the Duke fans going on about how awesome the game is would be saying the same thing if it wasn't a Duke Nukem game?

hypoty

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#58 hypoty
Member since 2009 • 2825 Posts

I wonder if all the Duke fans going on about how awesome the game is would be saying the same thing if it wasn't a Duke Nukem game?

dzimm

I haven't seen one person call this game awesome, at best I've heard it been called 'fun' or 'serviceable'.

dzimm

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 23

#59 dzimm
Member since 2006 • 6615 Posts
I've seen quite a few Duke fans rate the game very highly.
Avatar image for MrSelf-Destruct
MrSelf-Destruct

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

#60 MrSelf-Destruct
Member since 2010 • 13400 Posts

[QUOTE="ChubbyGuy40"]

[QUOTE="Remmib"]No, the fans are not loving DNF. No one is.NeonNinja

Not this PC gamer.

Nor this one.
MrSelf-Destruct

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#61 MrSelf-Destruct

Seems to me that duke nukem is good ol'stupid fun blow stuff up cause its kick ass fun...etc...etc and Critics dont like that even though some have actually said they want a game like that.

WilliamRLBaker
Actually, there's not nearly as much "good ol' stupid fun blow stuff up" in this game as there should be, which is one thing that's wrong with the game. Many critics have said the same thing. Duke 3D was all about running and gunning, and there was always something right around the corner to blast in the face. Now, instead of running and gunning, it's more of a run and hide, because Duke's not so much of a badass as he used to be. Some parts of the game don't have you shoot anything at all, just walk through a bad joke. It's a bad game in nearly every way. The only way I think someone could truly enjoy it is if they actually found it funny, and I certainly don't.
Remmib

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#62 Remmib

dzimm

They most certainly would not be; plus they are just trying to justify their $50 purchase of a crappy game to themselves.

LastRambo341

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#63 LastRambo341
Member since 2010 • 8767 Posts
It is a sequel to Duke Nukem 3D and supposed to play like it. But hey, if it isn't modernized (like COD) then its BAD. lol
ampiva

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 12

#64 ampiva
Member since 2010 • 1251 Posts
Um, no. The game is bad even by 1998 standards, this is coming from someone who loved DN3D, it's a complete shame, but hey why did I expect anything from Gearbox? Bunch of terrible developers.
Ballroompirate

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 10

#65 Ballroompirate
Member since 2005 • 26695 Posts

I love the duke, he reminds me why I love to play games and thats the fun factor.

Duke has never been about awesome graphics,a story line that would make Tolken blush or score a 10 in reviews.

Duke has been about kicking aliens *** that messes with OUR WOMEN!!!!

MrSelf-Destruct

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#66 MrSelf-Destruct
It is a sequel to Duke Nukem 3D and supposed to play like it. But hey, if it isn't modernized (like COD) then its BAD. lolLastRambo341
But it doesn't play like it. That's my main problem with the game. It doesn't play anything like Duke Nukem 3D. It feels like the *tried* to modernize it and just kinda gave up some where in the middle. In reality, though, they *did* modernize it but modern, at the time, was 2002 or something.
RawDeal_basic

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#67 RawDeal_basic
Member since 2002 • 1959 Posts

If DNF is this bad now, imagine what it was like before Gearbox had a year to polish this turd??

I just want a proper sequel made from the ground up by Gearbox. This is probably the last Duke game though, unfortunately.

drinkerofjuice

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 20

#68 drinkerofjuice
Member since 2007 • 4567 Posts
It is a sequel to Duke Nukem 3D and supposed to play like it. But hey, if it isn't modernized (like COD) then its BAD. lolLastRambo341
Have you been reading the reviews? A lot have specifically stated this is a bad Duke Nukem game, and that it's nothing like DN3D. Its been criticized for being a corridor shooter and not having the wide levels like DN3D. Its been criticized for the two weapon limit and regenerating health, as it resorts the game's action to have a "pop and shoot" formula, like CoD. Know what you're talking about, before you talk about it.
chapnzaba

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 55

#69 chapnzaba
Member since 2005 • 2302 Posts
Then what does it mean if a critic is a fan and hates it? Or a fan is a critic?
RyuRanVII

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 8

#70 RyuRanVII
Member since 2006 • 4257 Posts

Really? I'm a Duke Nukem fan and I think Duke Nukem Forever is a mediocre game and a terrible sequel to Duke Nukem 3D. It's funny how a 15 years old game has a lot more to offer than a 2011 game.

skrat_01

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#71 skrat_01
Member since 2007 • 33767 Posts

Seems to me that duke nukem is good ol'stupid fun blow stuff up cause its kick ass fun...etc...etc and Critics dont like that even though some have actually said they want a game like that.

WilliamRLBaker
Maybe if it was a good ol' stupid blow stuff up? Like Serious Sam? Or even Bulletstorm? Than you know, jumping puzzles, driving sequences, confined combat areas, mini games, rail shooting and not even great combat. Not to say people can't have fun with whatever it is, it just isn't that.
789shadow

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

#72 789shadow
Member since 2006 • 20195 Posts

The game probably does suck a lot, but fans don't care. It's Duke Nukem.

FrozenLiquid

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 22

#73 FrozenLiquid
Member since 2007 • 13555 Posts

Not a Duke Nukem fan but I'm having a blast playing it. In fact, I haven't played a shooter in a long, longtime that got me hankering for my next fix of it.

No, it doesn't have the best A.I. Yes, there are questionable design decisions. Yes, the presentation is a patch-job. But the game is a rollicking good ride nevertheless.

I can honestly say it's the first full priced game I bought this year that I haven't regretted purchasing. No lies.

TreyoftheDead

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#74 TreyoftheDead
Member since 2007 • 7982 Posts

I loved the demo. And I will eventually be picking up the full game, despite the scores.

Game of the Year, folks. Game of the Year.

bleehum

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#75 bleehum
It's fun reading all the hatred towards this game, I'm having a blast with it so far.
NeonNinja

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 115

#76 NeonNinja
Member since 2005 • 17318 Posts

[QUOTE="NeonNinja"][QUOTE="ChubbyGuy40"]PC gamers are, and I will be tomorrow.Heil68
Not this PC gamer.

This PC gamers is..now what?

This PC gamer grew up with Wolf 3D and Doom.

bleehum

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#77 bleehum

[QUOTE="Heil68"][QUOTE="NeonNinja"]Not this PC gamer.NeonNinja

Congratulations?
Ninja_Odin

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#78 Ninja_Odin
Member since 2011 • 386 Posts
IT's bad game period. Doesn't mean some bad games can't be enjoyable, i certainly didn't enjoy it.
dRuGGeRnaUt

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#79 dRuGGeRnaUt
Member since 2006 • 1637 Posts
reviewers are getting to be useless. The yearly installments of Call of Duty get 9+ EVERYTIME, yet this is "immature' and "not changed enough from the original", What do they want?? I honestly believe these reviewers never played the first game, they were all probably 5-7 years old when it came out. And whats with all the "comparing" of games these days? even games that are nothing alike. Why don't they compare games like Cod: MW2 to half life 2 or other vastly superior games?? what? because there's no financial incentive to do that you say? oh. You see, not only does the "4 day long milllionaire resort" treatment get activision AWESOME reviews, it also pays the reviewers to advertise CoD in EVERY SINGLE fps review. It's getting so noticable its sad.
MrJack3690

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#80 MrJack3690
Member since 2004 • 2227 Posts

It's fun reading all the hatred towards this game, I'm having a blast with it so far.bleehum

Same here, played it when it unlocked at midnight last night, and single player was fun so far, mp was a blast from what I've played. It's just a fun game all around I say, not enough games are just plain fun like this one.

dRuGGeRnaUt

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#81 dRuGGeRnaUt
Member since 2006 • 1637 Posts

The game probably does suck a lot, but fans don't care. It's Duke Nukem.

789shadow
Or it's just "fun". something most gamers/reviewers dont seem to care about. Hence the lack of the good ol "funfactor" criteria. I haven't played it, but have noticed, fps game have to outdo EVERYTHING every other game has done to get well accepted. PS: come back and talk to me when all your reviewed games aren't JRPG's and nintendo games. lol Seriously, you would not find me in a "kingdom hearts" thread bashing it, its not my kind of game, and i know nothing about it. same seems to come from you all the time. Just go play games you like, and stop hatin.
bleehum

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#82 bleehum

[QUOTE="bleehum"]It's fun reading all the hatred towards this game, I'm having a blast with it so far.MrJack3690

Same here, played it when it unlocked at midnight last night, and single player was fun so far, mp was a blast from what I've played. It's just a fun game all around I say, not enough games are just plain fun like this one.

Yeah, I'm really liking the feel of multiplayer so far. The different outfits are pretty awesome, too.
NeonNinja

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#83 NeonNinja

[QUOTE="NeonNinja"]

[QUOTE="Heil68"] This PC gamers is..now what?bleehum

Congratulations?

Haha.Stay out of conversations that don't concern you. Guy is trying to find out how "old" I am since I have no interest in DNF. :roll:

madsnakehhh

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

#84 madsnakehhh
Member since 2007 • 18257 Posts

One thing is for sure, critics are hating it, and i don't think that this critics don't "get" what Duke Nukem is about, i've been reading that some prefer Bulletstorm over this one, i can see easily a 6.0 here in GS, which is a shame, since i thought it would be truly a fun game, sure, too soon to tell and i haven't even played the demo, so who really knows, maybe i'll be getting the game later on.

Lost-Memory

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#85 Lost-Memory
Member since 2009 • 1556 Posts
  • Well I believe it's obvious the game kinda would've taken a hit since its a 15 years old remake and been scrapped and started over to a brand new project over and over again. . But I believe no one cared after so long. They just wanted The Duke back after so many years. . See he was that Solid Snake, Master Chief, Kratos, Commander Shepard, Nathan Drake, Gordon Freeman back in the day. . And the sales perfectly fits him back in. . In my opinion, no one bought Duke Nukem Forever for The game. .They just bought it for The Duke. lol

• I think there will be a more serious and better Duke Nukem right after this one but more serious and worked on. It'll show Gearbox they have a lot of support from fans, but the reviewers will remind them a thing or two to to bring other audiences towards Duke and etc.
Young_Charter
You know what, I am one of those kids who loved playing Duke Nukem on the N64. and later the PC. I haven't played it but I want to. I just want to see Duke kick some ass again. Thats all Duke Nukem was EVER About is this dude kicking ass, taking alien names and saving our planets hotties. Saying the story sucks is like... liking poo... It just don't work. So your saying they should change the best game that has EVER seen the light of day ? Helllll noooooo
Heil68

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#86 Heil68
Member since 2004 • 60718 Posts

[QUOTE="Heil68"][QUOTE="NeonNinja"]Not this PC gamer.NeonNinja

Me too, and?
ironcreed

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 46

#87 ironcreed
Member since 2005 • 14195 Posts

Just got my copy. Despite it's flaws, I think it is going to be some good old stupid fun, with loads of cheese and highly offensive and tasteless humor. In which sense, it will be a very welcome change from all of the serious military campaigns that dominate the genre these days. Looking forward to popping it in here in a bit.

Heil68

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#88 Heil68
Just got my copy. Despite it's flaws, I think it is going to be some good old stupid fun, with loads of cheese and highly offensive and tasteless humor. In which sense, it will be a very welcome change from all of the serious military campaigns that dominate the genre these days. Looking forward to popping it in here in a bit.ironcreed
How dare you enjoy a game critics and other games don't! There must be something wrong with you is the vibe I'm getting from this thread, which is hilarious. Oh how I hope/dream and pray I can be an elite gamer with impeccable taste someday! Maybe if I click my shoes together it will just happen by golly!
DarkLink77

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#89 DarkLink77
Member since 2004 • 32731 Posts

Well, people on the official forums are pissed. Of course, that's mostly because the console is locked, which Gearbox needs to get fixed ASAP.

But they also hate the two weapon limit, the regenerating health, the extremely linear design (none of which should ever be in a Duke game), and the fact that mods are a no go at this point isn't helping matters at all.

Ravensmash

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#90 Ravensmash
Member since 2010 • 13862 Posts

Good to see that some people are enjoying this...but after watching the Giant Bomb quick look, I'm gonna steer clear of this.

Didn't even get to try the demo (thanks retailers/Gearbox!), but game just looks....horrible. Even the MP which I was hoping would be fun looks ....horrible.

Edit: I thought I'd find the game's humour funny too (bear in mind I know very little about the series as a whole), but instead of being risque and witty, from what I saw it comes across as incredibly stupid and lazy.

ironcreed

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 46

#91 ironcreed
Member since 2005 • 14195 Posts

[QUOTE="ironcreed"]Just got my copy. Despite it's flaws, I think it is going to be some good old stupid fun, with loads of cheese and highly offensive and tasteless humor. In which sense, it will be a very welcome change from all of the serious military campaigns that dominate the genre these days. Looking forward to popping it in here in a bit.Heil68
How dare you enjoy a game critics and other games don't! There must be something wrong with you is the vibe I'm getting from this thread, which is hilarious. Oh how I hope/dream and pray I can be an elite gamer with impeccable taste someday! Maybe if I click my shoes together it will just happen by golly!

LOL, well said. If anything, this fiasco just shows how spoiled gamers have become. Yes, times have changed since Duke Nukem was relevant, but on the flip side it also shows how we over analyze games to the point to where the fun factor is overshadowed by technical flaws, having some grand storyline and cutting edge visuals. Of course I love all of the aforementioned qualities in a game myself, but simply having fun beyond all of that is not lost on me.

Yes, this game is a dated mess, but it is still a fully playable alien blasting, lewd and over the top good time. It is a video game in the very classic sense of the term, in that it is just supposed to be good old stupid fun. Nothing more, nothing less. It is times like these where I am reminded how we over analyze video games and make them more complicated then they really need to be down here at the level of simply playing and being entertained. I don't know, I am just ranting I guess.

NeonNinja

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#92 NeonNinja

[QUOTE="NeonNinja"]

[QUOTE="Heil68"] This PC gamers is..now what?Heil68

Me too, and?

And what? That should tell you everything you need to know. I grew up in that era of games, I was familiar with The Duke. It was stupid back then and it's stupid now. You're trying to find out how old I am, and I don't feel like playing along by giving my age out (though a few users on here know it :P). I'm familiar with it, grew up in those days.

This PC gamer has no interest in the Duke. Simple as that. Give me Rage or give me nothing. Id Software were the greatest in that era, 3D Realms was nowhere near them and their over-rated Duke doesn't match up to Id's various, nameless space marines.

HaLoMaStErJT

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#93 HaLoMaStErJT
Member since 2008 • 1380 Posts

I might be getting this later down the road.

DarkLink77

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#94 DarkLink77

[QUOTE="Heil68"][QUOTE="NeonNinja"]This PC gamer grew up with Wolf 3D and Doom.

NeonNinja

Me too, and?

And what? That should tell you everything you need to know. I grew up in that era of games, I was familiar with The Duke. It was stupid back then and it's stupid now. You're trying to find out how old I am, and I don't feel like playing along by giving my age out (though a few users on here know it :P). I'm familiar with it, grew up in those days.

This PC gamer has no interest in the Duke. Simple as that. Give me Rage or give me nothing. Id Software were the greatest in that era, 3D Realms was nowhere near them and their over-rated Duke doesn't match up to Id's various, nameless space marines.

Whoa. Duke is way better than the Doom guy. FACT.

On the subject on DNF, however, I will merely say this:

I was wrong.

ChubbyGuy40

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#95 ChubbyGuy40
Member since 2007 • 26442 Posts

I was wrong.

DarkLink77

Wrong about wut?

DarkLink77

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#96 DarkLink77

[QUOTE="DarkLink77"]

I was wrong.

ChubbyGuy40

Wrong about wut?

A lot of things. The lack of console and fact that I have to activate the game through Steam has put me off from buying it, personally.
NeonNinja

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#97 NeonNinja

[QUOTE="ChubbyGuy40"]

[QUOTE="DarkLink77"]

I was wrong.

DarkLink77

Wrong about wut?

A lot of things. The lack of console and fact that I have to activate the game through Steam has put me off from buying it, personally.

I know I told you I would buy DNF since we're e-bros and stuff but NeonNinja does not buy PC games that require Steam activation. I could buy it for 360, buy c'mon, really, why would I want to support console sales of a PC franchise? Even if said franchise is Duke..... :?

DarkLink77

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#98 DarkLink77

[QUOTE="DarkLink77"][QUOTE="ChubbyGuy40"]

Wrong about wut?

NeonNinja

I know I told you I would buy DNF since we're e-bros and stuff but NeonNinja does not buy PC games that require Steam activation. I could buy it for 360, buy c'mon, really, why would I want to support console sales of a PC franchise? Even if said franchise is Duke..... :?

Yeah, I think I'll wait for a price drop, personally (which should happen fairly rapidly). I really want to see if that console nonsense gets cleared up, though. The community is throwing a fit, so hopefully it will.
The_Capitalist

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 17

#99 The_Capitalist
Member since 2004 • 10838 Posts

I bought the game yesterday for $36.49.

I do not regret my purchase, but I pity anyone who bought for more than that.

It's an average game at best, though there are many moments of mediocrity...

Heil68

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#100 Heil68
This PC gamer has no interest in the Duke. Simple as that. Give me Rage or give me nothing. Id Software were the greatest in that era, 3D Realms was nowhere near them and their over-rated Duke doesn't match up to Id's various, nameless space marines.NeonNinja
I don't care about your age, I was just wondering how that was relevant to this game? I played those games back then and remember those times fondly. Quake 2 and Doom we're awesome but ID software has been a big disappointment to me in recent times with Quake 3 and 4 and Doom 3. I am enjoying DNF more so then any of those games, especially Doom3 , but I guess we'll just differ on opinions then. :)