Conclusion of "What should Killzone 3 do to beat Halo Reach"

This topic is locked from further discussion.

W1NGMAN-

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 0

#51 W1NGMAN-
Member since 2008 • 10109 Posts

It has to average higher than a 91.89% on gamerankings? Considering everyones opinion here will vary I'd rather just go by gamerankings average to determine which game is better.

bizzy420

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

#52 bizzy420
Member since 2005 • 2730 Posts
they cant do anything, HALO CANNOT BE STOPPED! i think they should scrap the killzone franchise after part 3, and just create a new FPS ip, and start fresh.
EXLINK

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 6

#53 EXLINK
Member since 2003 • 5719 Posts
Put the Halo label on it and say its the 5th installment. It'll be praised for being revolutionary and millions will buy it regardless.
rolo107

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

#54 rolo107
Member since 2007 • 5469 Posts
Why are we limiting this to only SP? Out of all genres FPS has come into its own the most in MP. Halo Reach's full package is what makes it incredible. KillZone 3 has to beat it all to win, not just on the SP portion. Regardless, KillZone 2's SP was pretty mediocre, so I don't see KZ3 being that much better there, my hopes are on the MP doing well, but not on the level of Halo still.
FIipMode

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 8

#55 FIipMode
Member since 2009 • 10850 Posts
So reach has around a 92 average in scores, Killzone 3 definitely has a chance to get higher or the same, I don't see it scoring higher on GS though.
Zoso-8

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#56 Zoso-8
Member since 2008 • 2047 Posts
It has to score 2% better than Killzone 2 on gamerankings.
Episode_Eve

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#57 Episode_Eve
Member since 2004 • 16986 Posts

So reach has around a 92 average in scores, Killzone 3 definitely has a chance to get higher or the same, I don't see it scoring higher on GS though.FIipMode

So, we all know it won't outsell Reach lol. Mark that off the list. The metascore could really be interesting. Killzone 2 currently has a 91 and Reach has 92 on Metacritic. As for Gamespot, I think they'll give KZ3 a 9.5! Could be a 9.0 though.

Beyond that, what's left to compare? Everything else is subjective really.

W1NGMAN-

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#58 W1NGMAN-
Member since 2008 • 10109 Posts

[QUOTE="FIipMode"]So reach has around a 92 average in scores, Killzone 3 definitely has a chance to get higher or the same, I don't see it scoring higher on GS though.Episode_Eve

So, we all know it won't outsell Reach lol. Mark that off the list. The metascore could really be interesting. Killzone 2 currently has a 91 and Reach has 92 on Metacritic. As for Gamespot, I think they'll give KZ3 a 9.5! Could be a 9.0 though.

Beyond that, what's left to compare? Everything else is subjective really.

Nothing, and I'm not one to try and sway ones opinion or at least lately I haven't been in the mood to do so. :P

romans828_2002

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#59 romans828_2002
Member since 2003 • 1108 Posts
It doesn't need to beat it. It just needs to be a quality game with tight controls and quality environments. All indications point to this happening. Should be a great game.
Timstuff

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 10

#60 Timstuff
Member since 2002 • 26840 Posts
Split screen!!!!
Heil68

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#61 Heil68
Member since 2004 • 60721 Posts
It's special on its own merits by golly!
Vader993

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#62 Vader993
Member since 2010 • 7533 Posts

Killing Rico would be a good start.SpiritOfFire117

rico can't die

Avatar image for Stevo_the_gamer
Stevo_the_gamer

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 49

#63 Stevo_the_gamer  Moderator
Member since 2004 • 49581 Posts

[QUOTE="SpiritOfFire117"]Killing Rico would be a good start.Vader993

rico can't die

Being able to kill Rico would make Killzone 3 goty.
Avatar image for deactivated-5ec2b2cb7a41e
deactivated-5ec2b2cb7a41e

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 15

#64 deactivated-5ec2b2cb7a41e
Member since 2008 • 2058 Posts

"

What should Killzone 3 do to beat Halo Reach??"

GET RELEASED....

Vader993

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#65 Vader993

kz3 has stiff competition,hopefully it will sell good

jg4xchamp

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 14

#66 jg4xchamp
Member since 2006 • 64040 Posts

For 1= Not borrow stuff from halo. The genre itself is already over saturated with the copy cat syndrom. Someone needs to be the bigger man and cut it out.

2= Actually differentiate itself from a single player standpoint. Where as multiplayer had some brilliant ideas with Killzone 2 the single player could not have been more generic(well it could have been Resistance). It has some great animations, and the engine had some really kick ass atmosphere but the games campaign did nothing with it. That and the level design honestly never took advantage of the clever AI. The shooting mechanics in Killzone 2 are great(although some tightening up here and there wouldn't hurt), and the Helghast in general are fun to fight. just fix everything else about the campaign and you probably have something that can more than go toe to toe with Reach.

jg4xchamp

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#67 jg4xchamp

I doubt it can. There's just too much to compete with in Reach. Forge, Multiplayer, Firefight, Co-op, Campaign Scoring, Theater, Custom Games, etc, etc.

DarkLink77
You're not going to beat Reach in a feature set battle, but I don't necessarily think you have to. Content doesn't necessarily= superior quality. Where Killzone won't win in customization it can more than make up for in just the general action.
dommeus

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#68 dommeus
Member since 2004 • 9433 Posts
I second this.
Stevo_the_gamer

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#69 Stevo_the_gamer  Moderator
Content doesn't necessarily= superior quality. jg4xchamp
In this case, Reach's content is filled to the brim with not only *huge* potential, but with stellar quality. Some of the maps already getting out in Forge World are terrific.
clr84651

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

#70 clr84651
Member since 2010 • 5643 Posts

Local Multiplayer (4-Player Split-screen versus, 2 player split-screen co-op, both off and online)

4-player Co-Op Firefight with Immense Customization

Large amounts of Gameplay Modes (Invasion, Infection, Stockpile)

Forge Mode or Similar

Theater Mode or Similar

Bungie.net Integration

siddhu33

Then add the fact that it's also 3D and uses The Move that can use a cool gun attachment.

Vader993

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#71 Vader993

[QUOTE="siddhu33"]

Local Multiplayer (4-Player Split-screen versus, 2 player split-screen co-op, both off and online)

4-player Co-Op Firefight with Immense Customization

Large amounts of Gameplay Modes (Invasion, Infection, Stockpile)

Forge Mode or Similar

Theater Mode or Similar

Bungie.net Integration

clr84651

Then add the fact that it's also 3D and uses The Move that can use a cool gun attachment.

you check your stats at your killzone .com

firefluff3

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#72 firefluff3
Member since 2010 • 2073 Posts

Should become multiplat :P

Joking, it should have a campaign where it doesnt feel like you missed out on so many oppertunities.

jg4xchamp

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#73 jg4xchamp
[QUOTE="jg4xchamp"]Content doesn't necessarily= superior quality. Stevo_the_gamer
In this case, Reach's content is filled to the brim with not only *huge* potential, but with stellar quality. Some of the maps already getting out in Forge World are terrific.

And that's certainly an advantage, but you don't necessarily have to win the content battle to compete. Grand Theft Auto 4 has like what 50 times the content of a Portal(yes the number was an exaggeration, but whatever). Yet when it's all said and done when this gen is over more people will remember Portal and its 4 or 5 hours than GTA 4 and all of its content. Again Killzone 3 isn't going to beat Reach in a battle of cuztomization/features. It's just not, and that's not the experience they are going for. What it could more than deliver on though is just the core mechanics to out perform that of Reach. Plus Killzone's cIass based stuff was pretty cool in Killzone 2. This time they seem to have some new added wrinkles to that formula. Could pay off.
Revolution_Ali

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 9

#74 Revolution_Ali
Member since 2005 • 657 Posts
Put the Halo label on it and say its the 5th installment. It'll be praised for being revolutionary and millions will buy it regardless.EXLINK
I.myself ,believe this.It is basically more Name thing than Game one.
Revolution_Ali

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 9

#75 Revolution_Ali
Member since 2005 • 657 Posts
[QUOTE="jg4xchamp"][QUOTE="DarkLink77"]

I doubt it can. There's just too much to compete with in Reach. Forge, Multiplayer, Firefight, Co-op, Campaign Scoring, Theater, Custom Games, etc, etc.

You're not going to beat Reach in a feature set battle, but I don't necessarily think you have to. Content doesn't necessarily= superior quality. Where Killzone won't win in customization it can more than make up for in just the general action.

Well my observation(after seeing lots of people comments) say that Halo is more about multiplayer,custom,create-maps stuff.In single player experience, it needs to ammend a lot of things, it is not a best campaign material then.
Avatar image for deactivated-594be627b82ba
deactivated-594be627b82ba

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 31

#76 deactivated-594be627b82ba
Member since 2006 • 8405 Posts

personally i prefer killzone 2 over any halo, i have yet to play reach but I doubt ill like it more then killzone 2. though reach has offline multiplayer which is something killzone 3 need.

Recarnator

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#77 Recarnator
Member since 2008 • 229 Posts

What should Killzone 3 do to beat Halo Reach ?

Sell over 10 million copies. ;)

jg4xchamp

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#78 jg4xchamp

[QUOTE="jg4xchamp"][QUOTE="DarkLink77"]

Revolution_Ali

Well my observation(after seeing lots of people comments) say that Halo is more about multiplayer,custom,create-maps stuff.In single player experience, it needs to ammend a lot of things, it is not a best campaign material then.

First even as a Halo fan I'll say Reach is no best campaign ever, but it's actually pretty damn good all things considered. IN that sense it certainly has more going for it than Killzone 2 or Killzone 1 ever did as single player experiences. Halo's lore has always been exceptionally well done, but Bungie's story telling in the videogames has been nothing short of pathetic. With Reach they just straight up did not capitalize on all the potential.

As for the campaign they ammended a ton of the things that bogged Halo 2 and 3 from greatness(in terms of single player). No flood, no obvious horrible level design(basically no Cortana, Library, or Library 2), Elites were back center stage, no bloated weapons list, and the missions were all varied enough to keep it from ever getting as repetitive as ODST(which was too heavy with the shooter gallery). Plus the campaing benefits on replayability skulls and the general design of the campaign is well built for multiple runs. Since it's not so heavily scripted.

What holds Reach back from greatness if anything is
-Poor execution in terms of the story
-A severe lack of umph if you will. There is not enough moments in the campaigns gameplay that are actually memorable. There is no large elaborate set piece or a grand scarab battle. The whole scorpion portion is a bit of a letdown.
-It sticks too close to the Halo formula for its own good. If you're not going to atleast reinvent the wheel you have to atleast freshen it up or crank some things up. The games scale is impressive from a visual sense, but nothing about the gameplay made it feel like a Halo game but with a warzone vibe. The story speaks of a large war going on, but it never played like you were in a giant war for survival(except for one specific segment)

1Stark1

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#79 1Stark1
Member since 2010 • 688 Posts

LOL, why does everyone hate Rico so much.:P

Nike_Air

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#80 Nike_Air
Member since 2006 • 19733 Posts

All it would take is being as good as Killzone 2.

jg4xchamp

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#81 jg4xchamp

[QUOTE="SpiritOfFire117"]Killing Rico would be a good start.1Stark1

He gets one of your boyz killed because he's an impatient douche(yet somehow is the squad leader) Then when your character is grieving over the death of whats his face, he has the ****ing nerve to tell YOU to get over it and then to add to his stupidity he kills Visari and essentially unleashes an even more deadly Helghast. Basically Rico is not only an unbearable jackass, but he's also incredibly stupid. Even that douchebag Emile(skull head in Reach) wasn't in the same league of douche baggery. Rico sets a very high standard for that.
Vader993

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#82 Vader993

Uploaded with ImageShack.us

why doesn't anybody love me

Avatar image for worldsworstgame
worldsworstgame

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#83 worldsworstgame
Member since 2010 • 180 Posts

It doesn't have to beat Halo Reach to be a good game

abuabed

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#84 abuabed
Member since 2005 • 6606 Posts
It doesn't need to do anything to beat Halo, it should just stick to its original formula and expand upon it. Oh and a dead Rico would really help!
DarkLink77

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#85 DarkLink77
Member since 2004 • 32731 Posts
[QUOTE="DarkLink77"]

jg4xchamp

I doubt KZ3's MP will touch Reach's. Single player is anyone's game, though.
TacticalDesire

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#86 TacticalDesire
Member since 2010 • 10713 Posts

Well first off if your talking in terms of sales...nothing. Secondly I agree with you Bioshock has the best single-player FPS campaign this gen. Reach is still a better overall game slightly though. Now on topic if Killzone 3 wants to match Reach the devs will need to have a campaign with nice replay value reasonable in length (I'm thinking 9-10 hrs) that is of very good (not necessarily great) quality. They will need to implement a very diverse feature-packed almost flawless online and as the end result have an extremely polished game.

TacticalDesire

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#87 TacticalDesire
Member since 2010 • 10713 Posts

[QUOTE="1Stark1"]

[QUOTE="SpiritOfFire117"]Killing Rico would be a good start.jg4xchamp

He gets one of your boyz killed because he's an impatient douche(yet somehow is the squad leader) Then when your character is grieving over the death of whats his face, he has the ****ing nerve to tell YOU to get over it and then to add to his stupidity he kills Visari and essentially unleashes an even more deadly Helghast. Basically Rico is not only an unbearable jackass, but he's also incredibly stupid. Even that douchebag Emile(skull head in Reach) wasn't in the same league of douche baggery. Rico sets a very high standard for that.

I actually kinda like Emile...then again I haven't finished the campaign so don't spoil his behavior for me:P

nervmeister

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#88 nervmeister
Member since 2005 • 15377 Posts

To beat Reach in sales - Have better online multiplayer system/servers than Halo and advertise the hell out of it. Even then, it's an insane long shot considering that the Halo franchise has had way more time to establish its fanbase than Killzone.

To beat Reach in MC scores - Have a better online multiplayer design/servers than Reach. More guns (but keep it balanced). Be less repetitive in SP than Reach. Allow Sev (the player) to savagely kill Rico early in the game's story.

To beat Reach in GS scores - same as above, but pray that the right staff member reviews it.

finalfantasy94

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#89 finalfantasy94
Member since 2004 • 27442 Posts

Cause hes anoying. He also got people killed in KZ2 and made things worse for KZ3. Though I hate him and cole train from gears equally. I would like to see them both die. Now on topic KZ3 needs some sort of co-op mode. To me thats one of the key things its missing.

Stevo_the_gamer

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#90 Stevo_the_gamer  Moderator

[QUOTE="1Stark1"]

[QUOTE="SpiritOfFire117"]Killing Rico would be a good start.jg4xchamp

And to add to all that, he says the F-bomb every other word. It got so annoying that even my girlfriend wanted him to STFU.

iMojo786_PSN

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#91 iMojo786_PSN
Member since 2010 • 1641 Posts

Killzone is completly diffrent to Halo, yes they both have guns OmGawd!?!?!? but both are diffrent, its obvious from what we have seen Reach is the better game, we need to see what GG show off in the later months.

Avatar image for NEStorianPriest
NEStorianPriest

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#92 NEStorianPriest
Member since 2010 • 804 Posts

[QUOTE="SpiritOfFire117"]Killing Rico would be a good start.Vader993

rico can't die

Lol!

If only you could unlock Chuck Norris vs. Rico in KZ3...

AsadMahdi59

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

#93 AsadMahdi59
Member since 2005 • 7226 Posts

Add in all the options/ modes that Halo has. Need good Co-op mode, split screen support. a survival mode like Horde/Firefight would be great, theatre etc

Strictly talking about gameplay I think KZ2 is just as good if not better then Halo3/ ODST.

SPYDER0416

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 24

#94 SPYDER0416
Member since 2008 • 16736 Posts

While it already has graphics and story isn't a priority for eith game, I'd say it should focus on content creation and co-op. The SP and MP were very well done and polished, but Halo's Forge would really put Sony's Play. Create. Share motto to the test, if it can offer co-op and the ability to make co-op maps plus more content ni the way of guns and vehicles then I think KZ3 will be a solid contender to go up against Reach or GeoW3.

monkeysmoke

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#95 monkeysmoke
Member since 2010 • 457 Posts
[QUOTE="jg4xchamp"]

For 1= Not borrow stuff from halo. The genre itself is already over saturated with the copy cat syndrom. Someone needs to be the bigger man and cut it out. 2= Actually differentiate itself from a single player standpoint. Where as multiplayer had some brilliant ideas with Killzone 2 the single player could not have been more generic(well it could have been Resistance). It has some great animations, and the engine had some really kick ass atmosphere but the games campaign did nothing with it. That and the level design honestly never took advantage of the clever AI. The shooting mechanics in Killzone 2 are great(although some tightening up here and there wouldn't hurt), and the Helghast in general are fun to fight. just fix everything else about the campaign and you probably have something that can more than go toe to toe with Reach.

Nope! Killzone 2 already did almost everything you posted yet it couldn't beat halo 3 & a halo expansion pack ODST beat the life out of killzone 2...SO BAD the truth killzone 3 will not touch Reach in any aspect & there is nothing sony can do about that. ITS A SEALED FATE for killzones to lose to halos.
hexashadow13

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#96 hexashadow13
Member since 2010 • 5157 Posts
Kill Rico and replace him with someone that's actually kind of cool. Someone like Ghost from MW2 would be awesome.
themyth01

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

#97 themyth01
Member since 2003 • 13924 Posts
Different games,for different audiences. If they made it more like Halo, then it wouldn't be KZ.
WardCleaver02

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#98 WardCleaver02
Member since 2007 • 1559 Posts

[QUOTE="EXLINK"]Put the Halo label on it and say its the 5th installment. It'll be praised for being revolutionary and millions will buy it regardless.Revolution_Ali
I.myself ,believe this.It is basically more Name thing than Game one.

Which could be said about any franchise: SMB, MGS, even COD. In the end, the name alone doesn't sell the millions of copies that these games have sold. They sell because people enjoy them, even though you personally may not.

WardCleaver02

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#99 WardCleaver02
Member since 2007 • 1559 Posts

Kill Rico and replace him with someone that's actually kind of cool. Someone like Ghost from MW2 would be awesome.hexashadow13

Cool would be nice, but I was thinking more along the lines of someone who is actually useful. :P I cannot count the times I said, "WTF!? He is down again?!" during the final boss battle of KZ2.

sirk1264

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 12

#100 sirk1264
Member since 2003 • 6242 Posts

I loved Killzone 2 and will buy Killzone 3 on day 1 but I would like to have some kind of 4 player split screen mode in the game whether it be some kind of deathmatch or coop. I would also like to see a mode like GeOW2's Horde or Reach's Firefight mode. That would be awesome fighting against wave after wave of Helghast.