Can the WiiU even play DVDs?

This topic is locked from further discussion.

#51 Posted by funsohng (27497 posts) -

[QUOTE="funsohng"][QUOTE="StrongBlackVine"]

Why would any one still need a DVD player?

StrongBlackVine

Then why the f*ck does it matter if Wii U doesn't have a DVD player?

It doesn't matter that it doesn't a have DVD player. It does matter that it can't play Blu-rays. That is the standard for any console or computer. So Nintendo has a subpar piece of equipment, but we already knew that.

I.... uhhhh.... f*ck it.
#52 Posted by mems_1224 (46182 posts) -

StrongBlackVine

It doesn't matter that it doesn't a have DVD player. It does matter that it can't play Blu-rays. That is the standard for any console or computer. So Nintendo has a subpar piece of equipment, but we already knew that.

people actually buy blu rays? :lol:
#53 Posted by MonsieurX (29177 posts) -

StrongBlackVine

360 doesn't have it. Only PS3,how is this a standard? :|
#54 Posted by cain006 (8625 posts) -

[QUOTE="StrongBlackVine"]

[QUOTE="funsohng"] Then why the f*ck does it matter if Wii U doesn't have a DVD player?mems_1224

You just pissed off every AV nerd here on gamestop.

#55 Posted by StrongBlackVine (8418 posts) -

[QUOTE="funsohng"] Then why the f*ck does it matter if Wii U doesn't have a DVD player?MonsieurX

PS3 was a pioneer...the next Xbox will have one.

#56 Posted by StrongBlackVine (8418 posts) -

[QUOTE="funsohng"] Then why the f*ck does it matter if Wii U doesn't have a DVD player?mems_1224

Yeah people do buy movies. That surpises you?

#57 Posted by Masenkoe (4888 posts) -

still using dvds

Blu-ray master race

#58 Posted by mariokart64fan (19348 posts) -

Like seriously if you got a 360 already you dont need another dvd player especaly if you have a ps3 /ps2 or dvdvcr combo blurayplayers are coming  down in price its cheaper just to buy one of those if all you want is movies ,  i loled at all the times people bought ps3s just for the bluray player ,     sorry pal not worth an extra 20-50 bucks 

#59 Posted by Drasonak (1509 posts) -

No, that's not why you asked it. You wanted to start an argument. Drop the innocent act.

Plus, it's the 2010s... Disc format movies feel ancient now.

#60 Posted by getyeryayasout (7032 posts) -
It's disappointing and comes off as cheap. It's a plus for any console manufacturer to be able to display "DVD and Bluray playback" as services provided by the system. I'm surprised so many people are giving a pass to a lack of such seemingly basic functionality, but it's a streaming / cloud based world we're living in, maybe it's not such a big deal. It seems cheap to me though.
#61 Posted by themagicbum9720 (6505 posts) -
i dont care. i already have a bluray player to watch movies on. why would i want to watch movies on a console when netflix is enough for that?
#62 Posted by ChubbyGuy40 (26100 posts) -

Who the hell still uses DVDs?

#63 Posted by CWEBB04z (4550 posts) -

Yup. I buy blu ray only.
#64 Posted by Cranler (8213 posts) -

You may not know about this but you can rent blu rays. In fact you can rent 8 a month for $15 with a subscription. That destroys any ppv service plus blu ray has the best video and audio quality.
#65 Posted by StrongBlackVine (8418 posts) -

No, that's not why you asked it. You wanted to start an argument. Drop the innocent act.

Plus, it's the 2010s... Disc format movies feel ancient now.

Drasonak

So let what do you do? Fill up your hard drive with pirated content? Sorry, but I still like to have physcial copies of my media.

#66 Posted by PhazonBlazer (11483 posts) -

Blu rays are good :|

#67 Posted by Cranler (8213 posts) -

[QUOTE="funsohng"] Then why the f*ck does it matter if Wii U doesn't have a DVD player?MonsieurX

Should be standard next gen, although MS may go the Nintendo route to promote streaming and ppv.
#68 Posted by StrongBlackVine (8418 posts) -

i dont care. i already have a bluray player to watch movies on. why would i want to watch movies on a console when netflix is enough for that?themagicbum9720

So you don't have another device cluterring your space?

#69 Posted by kingjazziephiz (2388 posts) -

[QUOTE="themagicbum9720"]i dont care. i already have a bluray player to watch movies on. why would i want to watch movies on a console when netflix is enough for that?StrongBlackVine

It's not like a VHS or anything.. bluray and DVD players are small and compact..
#70 Posted by MirkoS77 (6998 posts) -

[QUOTE="UNcartMe"]

I was just wondering if it can finally play CDs and DVDs directly from the disc drive.

Timstuff

Nintendo has failed to include these basic features since the Gamecube. Why start now?

Hey now, they are now doing HD. Give credit where credit is due.
#71 Posted by Unko_Sound (22 posts) -

Wii U is a GAMING console rather than a Blu-ray player like P*3. Unko Buri Buri.

#72 Posted by StrongBlackVine (8418 posts) -

[QUOTE="themagicbum9720"]i dont care. i already have a bluray player to watch movies on. why would i want to watch movies on a console when netflix is enough for that?kingjazziephiz

It's not like a VHS or anything.. bluray and DVD players are small and compact..

Still isn't necessary...if you own a PS3. Xbox will catch up next generation.

#73 Posted by StrongBlackVine (8418 posts) -

Wii U is a GAMING console rather than a Blu-ray player like P*3. Unko Buri Buri.

Unko_Sound

A gaming console for retread franchises with little 3rd party support...great. It should still have the functionally that other systems have, but Nintendo neutered it. Glad they are failing.

#74 Posted by Cranler (8213 posts) -

Unko_Sound

Yet the wiiu will never have as many games as the PS 3.

#75 Posted by Planeforger (15460 posts) -

At this point, Blu-Ray players are less than $100, and it seems like everyone has at least four DVD-playing devices in their house.

So...how is the Wii-U's lack of movie-playing a big deal? Nobody is going to buy it to watch movies - there are cheaper and more realiable options out there. It would be a neat extra feature for those with extremely limited home theatre space, but beyond that...

#76 Posted by Cranler (8213 posts) -
At this point, Blu-Ray players are less than $100, and it seems like everyone has at least four DVD-playing devices in their house. So...how is the Wii-U's lack of movie-playing a big deal? Nobody is going to buy it to watch movies - there are cheaper and more realiable options out there. It would be a neat extra feature for those with extremely limited home theatre space, but beyond that...Planeforger
With so few games it should be good for something else.
#78 Posted by StrongBlackVine (8418 posts) -

[QUOTE="Planeforger"]At this point, Blu-Ray players are less than $100, and it seems like everyone has at least four DVD-playing devices in their house. So...how is the Wii-U's lack of movie-playing a big deal? Nobody is going to buy it to watch movies - there are cheaper and more realiable options out there. It would be a neat extra feature for those with extremely limited home theatre space, but beyond that...Cranler

Exaclty. It is pretty much worthless right now and the sales reflect it.

#79 Posted by kingjazziephiz (2388 posts) -

[QUOTE="Unko_Sound"]

Cranler

Yet the wiiu will never have as many games as the PS 3.

Lol.
#80 Posted by Planeforger (15460 posts) -

[QUOTE="Planeforger"]At this point, Blu-Ray players are less than $100, and it seems like everyone has at least four DVD-playing devices in their house. So...how is the Wii-U's lack of movie-playing a big deal? Nobody is going to buy it to watch movies - there are cheaper and more realiable options out there. It would be a neat extra feature for those with extremely limited home theatre space, but beyond that...Cranler

Nobody is going to buy a $300 device with no games just to watch movies. There are cheaper options.

Also, what's with all of the 'no games' comments? It's true, but all consoles are like that in the months after launch. It's like we're all suffering collective amnesia about the start of last gen.

#81 Posted by StrongBlackVine (8418 posts) -

[QUOTE="Cranler"][QUOTE="Planeforger"]At this point, Blu-Ray players are less than $100, and it seems like everyone has at least four DVD-playing devices in their house. So...how is the Wii-U's lack of movie-playing a big deal? Nobody is going to buy it to watch movies - there are cheaper and more realiable options out there. It would be a neat extra feature for those with extremely limited home theatre space, but beyond that...Planeforger

Nobody is going to buy a $300 device with no games just to watch movies. There are cheaper options.

Also, what's with all of the 'no games' comments? It's true, but all consoles are like that in the months after launch. It's like we're all suffering collective amnesia about the start of last gen.

Nintendo has very weak 3rd party support why didn't they come out swinging with exclusives? EA has already written them off...

Also early adopters of WiiU bought a console that will be bottom of the barrel soon in terms of potential. Not a good investment.

#82 Posted by Cranler (8213 posts) -

[QUOTE="Cranler"][QUOTE="Planeforger"]At this point, Blu-Ray players are less than $100, and it seems like everyone has at least four DVD-playing devices in their house. So...how is the Wii-U's lack of movie-playing a big deal? Nobody is going to buy it to watch movies - there are cheaper and more realiable options out there. It would be a neat extra feature for those with extremely limited home theatre space, but beyond that...Planeforger

I said few games not no games. What about all the multiplats that arent on wiiu? What big multiplats did ps360 not get? The wiiu is only a few months old and its already missed out on more multiplats than the ps360 combined for the entire gen.
#83 Posted by OreoMilkshake (12718 posts) -
That's what my amazing 50$ Samsung blu-ray player is for.
#84 Posted by Fossil- (351 posts) -

"Use your other devices" - This is such a God awful argument.

The only DVD player I've ever owned was my PS2 and the only Blu-ray player I own is my PS3. I've never had to buy media players because it's unnecessary. Unless the only console you own is made by Nintendo of course.

Oh right, I do own another DVD player, it's in the 6 year old laptop I'm typing this on. But derp it's 2013 and Nintendo can't be bothered to include this feature.

#85 Posted by LegatoSkyheart (24548 posts) -

The only DVD player I've ever owned was my PS2 and the only Blu-ray player I own is my PS3. I've never had to buy media players because it's unnecessary. Unless the only console you own is made by Nintendo of course.

Oh right, I do own another DVD player, it's in the 6 year old laptop I'm typing this on. But derp it's 2013 and Nintendo can't be bothered to include this feature.

Fossil-

It's not.

In my room alone I have access to my Computer, which plays DVDs, My Xbox 360, which plays DVDs, and I even have a DVD Player in my room unhooked, so if by any chance I can't even play DVDs on my Xbox I can play it on that little APEX, if my PS3 was still in my room I would have access to a Bluray player (my sister took it to play Little Big Planet, but if it was still in here I would have access to Blurays too on the same TV.) 

Both the WiiU and Xbox 360 are hooked up to my TV, my WiiU Controller doubles as a remote, if I want to watch say, The Dark Knight Rises on DVD, I switch over to HDMI 2 which is where the Xbox 360 is located and Play the DVD there. The WiiU is also still on, and I can play Assassin's Creed 3 while watching The Dark Knight Rises.

Heck If I want to, I don't even have to turn on my Xbox 360, I could just launch my downloadable copy of Taken on my Computer and just play on my WiiU.

#86 Posted by percech (5237 posts) -

[QUOTE="Fossil-"]

LegatoSkyheart

It's not.

In my room alone I have access to my Computer, which plays DVDs, My Xbox 360, which plays DVDs, and I even have a DVD Player in my room unhooked, so if by any chance I can't even play DVDs on my Xbox I can play it on that little APEX, if my PS3 was still in my room I would have access to a Bluray player (my sister took it to play Little Big Planet, but if it was still in here I would have access to Blurays too on the same TV.) 

Both the WiiU and Xbox 360 are hooked up to my TV, my WiiU Controller doubles as a remote, if I want to watch say, The Dark Knight Rises on DVD, I switch over to HDMI 2 which is where the Xbox 360 is located and Play the DVD there. The WiiU is also still on, and I can play Assassin's Creed 3 while watching The Dark Knight Rises.

Heck If I want to, I don't even have to turn on my Xbox 360, I could just launch my downloadable copy of Taken on my Computer and just play on my WiiU.

Yeah because we need more crap to fill up our rooms. It's inconvenient and ugly. You people are making excuses for such a basic feature that wasn't included.
#87 Posted by youngmurk911 (3853 posts) -

Nope.

lundy86_4
wow
#88 Posted by LegatoSkyheart (24548 posts) -

Yeah because we need more crap to fill up our rooms. It's inconvenient and ugly. You people are making excuses for such a basic feature that wasn't included.percech

So you're saying you throw away your consoles as soon as a new one comes up?

Seriously man, if you have a device already in your room that can play DVDs and/or Blurays already hooked up to your TV...why are you complaining if the WiiU doesn't have it? YOU HAVE ACCESS TO A DVD AND/OR BLURAY PLAYER!

As if that's not already clear enough.

#89 Posted by percech (5237 posts) -

[QUOTE="percech"]Yeah because we need more crap to fill up our rooms. It's inconvenient and ugly. You people are making excuses for such a basic feature that wasn't included.LegatoSkyheart

So you're saying you throw away your consoles as soon as a new one goes away?

Seriously man, if you have a device already in your room that can play DVDs and/or Blurays already hooked up to your TV...why are you complaining if the WiiU doesn't have it? YOU HAVE ACCESS TO A DVD AND/OR BLURAY PLAYER!

As if that's not already clear enough.

I usually sell it or give em away to family or close friends. The Wii U is suppose to be an entertainment system but it can't even provide a basic feature that's been the rule since PS2 came out. I really shouldn't have to explain convenience to anyone but you don't understand the concept. You seem to be one of those people who will hoard everything they buy.
#90 Posted by LegatoSkyheart (24548 posts) -

I usually sell it or give em away to family or close friends. The Wii U is suppose to be an entertainment system but it can't even provide a basic feature that's been the rule since PS2 came out. I really shouldn't have to explain convenience to anyone but you don't understand the concept. You seem to be one of those people who will hoard everything they buy.percech

So you're telling me, as soon as something new comes out, you absolutly MUST give up whatever you have currently in order to have space?

That doesn't sound like I have a hording problem, more like you live in a small place.

#91 Posted by FastEddie2121 (3081 posts) -

Sheep would praise it as a nice feature if they actually had it, but since this is not the case, they 'don't care.' Once next gen kicks off with nextBox/ps4 they'll revert back to not caring about graphics as well. And so the cycle continues.

[spoiler] THE FAIL IS STRONG [/spoiler]

#92 Posted by lamprey263 (22664 posts) -
the Wii could be hacked to play DVDs, maybe the Wii U can be hacked to do the same, so technically I guess it can but it's not designed to, except the Wii U should be able to play Blu-rays
#93 Posted by airshocker (28734 posts) -

Why in the world would I EVER buy something that can't even play blu-rays or DVDs? Holy crap, I didn't think Nintendo could be THIS stupid.

#95 Posted by airshocker (28734 posts) -

It's about convenience. Why should I buy a third console when my other two can do more?

It seems Nintendo has forgotten what competition really is.

#96 Posted by ChubbyGuy40 (26100 posts) -

It's about convenience. Why should I buy a third console when my other two can do more?

It seems Nintendo has forgotten what competition really is.

airshocker

Why should I buy a console when my PC does all that and more? Oh right, games...

Probably. It's been so long since they've had any competition. Must be really nice sitting at the top for so long.

#97 Posted by airshocker (28734 posts) -

Why should I buy a console when my PC does all that and more? Oh right, games...

Probably. It's been so long since they've had any competition. Must be really nice sitting at the top for so long.

ChubbyGuy40

This makes absolutely no sense. We're talking about a multimedia device used in conjunction with TVs. If you want to talk about PCs, make a new topic.

There's a reason smartphones and tablets sell so well: convenience. It's nice being able to use devices for more than one function. So, again, why should I buy a third console that doesn't even do the BASIC multimedia functions that we have come to expect from consoles?

#98 Posted by emgesp (2041 posts) -

What is a Wii U?  

#99 Posted by KungfuKitten (20748 posts) -

I expected the wii u to play my LP collection. Maybe the PS4 will save us.

#100 Posted by ChubbyGuy40 (26100 posts) -

This makes absolutely no sense. We're talking about a multimedia device used in conjunction with TVs. If you want to talk about PCs, make a new topic.

There's a reason smartphones and tablets sell so well: convenience. It's nice being able to use devices for more than one function. So, again, why should I buy a third console that doesn't even do the BASIC multimedia functions that we have come to expect from consoles?

airshocker

Since when were PCs excluded from being a multimedia device? It makes perfect sense. You buy a video game console for video games. There should be no other factors than that.

Why would you buy more than one console at all? Basic multimedia functions? Disc-based media is hardly relevent to the casual consumer in the age of streaming and digital purchases. There's only one company that has an ass-backwards policy when it comes to streaming services.