Can the WiiU even play DVDs?

This topic is locked from further discussion.

#101 Posted by LegatoSkyheart (26090 posts) -

[QUOTE="ChubbyGuy40"]

Why should I buy a console when my PC does all that and more? Oh right, games...

Probably. It's been so long since they've had any competition. Must be really nice sitting at the top for so long.

airshocker

This makes absolutely no sense. We're talking about a multimedia device used in conjunction with TVs. If you want to talk about PCs, make a new topic.

There's a reason smartphones and tablets sell so well: convenience. It's nice being able to use devices for more than one function. So, again, why should I buy a third console that doesn't even do the BASIC multimedia functions that we have come to expect from consoles?

HDMI output.

tumblr_ma2puitgy31r4teq3o1_500.jpg

PC is king.

#102 Posted by ultimate-k (2348 posts) -

Nintendon't do convenience, they like living in the stone age.

#103 Posted by sailor232 (5010 posts) -

I would love it if it did, I would get rid of my ps3 right now if the wiiU had media server functionality, and media playback.

#104 Posted by sukraj (23680 posts) -

DVDs are going bye bye anyway.Pittfan666

dvds rocks

#105 Posted by HalcyonScarlet (5047 posts) -

DVDs are going bye bye anyway.Pittfan666

How?

#106 Posted by HalcyonScarlet (5047 posts) -

Who the hell still uses DVDs?

ChubbyGuy40

The vast majority?

#107 Posted by KungfuKitten (21367 posts) -

[QUOTE="ChubbyGuy40"]

HalcyonScarlet

The vast majority?

I bet the vast majority in my country uses mkv. I downloaded mkv of all the DVD's I have (legal in my country) because DVD's are unreliable.

#108 Posted by ChubbyGuy40 (26233 posts) -

[QUOTE="ChubbyGuy40"]

HalcyonScarlet

The vast majority?

Vast majority uses Netflix, Amazon Instant Video, ect. Streaming services are all the rage now. Pretty much anyone who doesn't live in the stone-age.

#109 Posted by HalcyonScarlet (5047 posts) -

[QUOTE="HalcyonScarlet"]

[QUOTE="ChubbyGuy40"]

ChubbyGuy40

The vast majority?

Vast majority uses Netflix, Amazon Instant Video, ect. Streaming services are all the rage now. Pretty much anyone who doesn't live in the stone-age.

World wide, I bet most still use DVD. People aren't convinced about Blu Ray until they see it for their own eyes proving itself. Online streaming isn't available everywhere and that's just a rental service, people still have their own collection of film/tv they'd like to keep.

#110 Posted by HalcyonScarlet (5047 posts) -

[QUOTE="HalcyonScarlet"]

[QUOTE="ChubbyGuy40"]

KungfuKitten

The vast majority?

I bet the vast majority in my country uses mkv. I downloaded mkv of all the DVD's I have (legal in my country) because DVD's are unreliable.

Which country is this?

#111 Posted by Bread_or_Decide (18260 posts) -
Classic Nintendo. Leave out basic features. Streaming Netflix is a more important feature.
#112 Posted by Bread_or_Decide (18260 posts) -

[QUOTE="Pittfan666"]DVDs are going bye bye anyway.sukraj

dvds rocks

Blurays?
#113 Posted by nameless12345 (15125 posts) -

It's supposed to be a games console, not a DVD player... (inb4 it has other functions; well guess what - I don't really care about them nor think it needs them.)

#114 Posted by shellcase86 (2077 posts) -

It should. This is indicative of how stubborn Nintendo is. At its price point and the fact that competitors are vastly more versatile, it's definitely a sore point in features the console lacks.

#115 Posted by lundy86_4 (44021 posts) -

People are still b*tching about this, really? The 360 doesn't play Blu-Rays, but we barely heard anybody cry about not being able to use it for movie playback. It was mostly Cows crying about "being held back :cry:"

#116 Posted by cainetao11 (18786 posts) -

[QUOTE="LegatoSkyheart"]

The Wii could play DVDs.

WiiU can play Blurays.

but they won't actually read your movies because the programing, it will only read Wii games and WiiU games.

but why should any of that actually matter for the WiiU? at this day and age you've got to have some sort of DVD player by now and/or a Bluray player, In my house I probably have 6 devices that can play DVDs or Blurays, Not to mention the WiiU is also a TV remote, with the TVii feature if you have Cable or Satellite you could probably find a movie you want to watch rather quickly, not to mention it having Hulu Plus and Netflix, Watching a Movie on a WiiU isn't hard, it's just not a DVD or Bluray.

Listening to Music on a Game Console was always interesting ever since I found out the PS1 could do that.

But who actually turns on their Game System and listens to music? The only 2 systems to actually figured it out were the Xbox 360 and PC (and iPod to an extent). 

Otherwise, if you're really wanting the WiiU to be able to play DVDs and Blurays, you're probably going to have to wait for Nintendo to add it in some update, or just play the Movie on a seperate system.

k2theswiss

why should someone not be able play something has simple as a movie in a device that has a disc player in it? Everything else can but not nintendo... This day in age you shouldn't have to have a product that only does 1 job and is useless

it will NEVER be added in a update or they will have to pay licensing fees. With them saying they make up the cost of loss with only sell of one game. IMO thats pretty sad because who's going buy a console and not a game?

I always liked Nintendo's stance that it's a game console first. Besides, I rarely even watch discs anymore with Netflix and Live streaming movies. Discs are going bye, bye and that includes blu ray.
#117 Posted by rockydog1111 (2076 posts) -

The Wii U is a multimedia machine that doesn't really do basic multimedia things. 

#118 Posted by Sphensen (808 posts) -

what's a DVD?

#119 Posted by handssss (1898 posts) -

People are still b*tching about this, really? The 360 doesn't play Blu-Rays, but we barely heard anybody cry about not being able to use it for movie playback. It was mostly Cows crying about "being held back :cry:"

lundy86_4
xbox supported HD DVD and anyone who bought that add-on now has a paper weight. as for "being held back". it's simple really. blu-rays can simply hold much MUCH more data than the dvd discs. hell, the ONLY reason for the slow loads and installs on ps3 would be because the slow blu-ray drive it uses. faster drvies exist now for standalone players and you can bet the ps4 will use faster drives as well..
#120 Posted by lundy86_4 (44021 posts) -

xbox supported HD DVD and anyone who bought that add-on now has a paper weight. as for "being held back". it's simple really. blu-rays can simply hold much MUCH more data than the dvd discs. hell, the ONLY reason for the slow loads and installs on ps3 would be because the slow blu-ray drive it uses. faster drvies exist now for standalone players and you can bet the ps4 will use faster drives as well..handssss

It supported HD-DVD via an expensive add-on, yes. At the moment, it's main multimedia aspects are from streaming.

Yes, it can hold more data. It's proven to be a minimal advantage in this generation, though. Hell, games can simply utilize more disks for the 360. 

#121 Posted by cainetao11 (18786 posts) -

[QUOTE="handssss"]xbox supported HD DVD and anyone who bought that add-on now has a paper weight. as for "being held back". it's simple really. blu-rays can simply hold much MUCH more data than the dvd discs. hell, the ONLY reason for the slow loads and installs on ps3 would be because the slow blu-ray drive it uses. faster drvies exist now for standalone players and you can bet the ps4 will use faster drives as well..lundy86_4

It supported HD-DVD via an expensive add-on, yes. At the moment, it's main multimedia aspects are from streaming.

Yes, it can hold more data. It's proven to be a minimal advantage in this generation, though. Hell, games can simply utilize more disks for the 360. 

Didn't you know? Getting up for 4 seconds to change a disc is troublesome, LOL. That's why even blu ray has a limited life span. DD is the future, this way you don't EVER have to put a disc in.
#122 Posted by UNcartMe (632 posts) -

....wakes up....checks gamespot system wars....7 page thread over WiiU DVD playback....sits back on thrown

#123 Posted by locopatho (20540 posts) -
Yes it can, hardware wise. Software wise, no, Nintendo don't pay the license fee.
#124 Posted by Zophar87 (4351 posts) -

Well, this thread backfired on the OP.

#125 Posted by osirisx3 (2008 posts) -

yes so wii u can be 599 just so we can play HD movies no thanks

#126 Posted by StrongBlackVine (9467 posts) -

WiiU is garbage.

#127 Posted by locopatho (20540 posts) -

osirisx3
It already has the hardware. The license for the software costs $9.50. The more you know!!!
#128 Posted by lundy86_4 (44021 posts) -

Didn't you know? Getting up for 4 seconds to change a disc is troublesome, LOL. That's why even blu ray has a limited life span. DD is the future, this way you don't EVER have to put a disc in.cainetao11

The only game it got to me with, was ME3... That was due to the idiotic mission system, though :P

#129 Posted by lundy86_4 (44021 posts) -

WiiU is garbage.

StrongBlackVine

Awesome opinion.

#130 Posted by Cranler (8809 posts) -
[QUOTE="osirisx3"]

locopatho
It already has the hardware. The license for the software costs $9.50. The more you know!!!

Nintendo is too cheap to swallow the cost.
#131 Posted by bezza2011 (2700 posts) -

The Wii could play DVDs.

WiiU can play Blurays.

but they won't actually read your movies because the programing, it will only read Wii games and WiiU games.

but why should any of that actually matter for the WiiU? at this day and age you've got to have some sort of DVD player by now and/or a Bluray player, In my house I probably have 6 devices that can play DVDs or Blurays, Not to mention the WiiU is also a TV remote, with the TVii feature if you have Cable or Satellite you could probably find a movie you want to watch rather quickly, not to mention it having Hulu Plus and Netflix, Watching a Movie on a WiiU isn't hard, it's just not a DVD or Bluray.

Listening to Music on a Game Console was always interesting ever since I found out the PS1 could do that.

But who actually turns on their Game System and listens to music? The only 2 systems to actually figured it out were the Xbox 360 and PC (and iPod to an extent).

Otherwise, if you're really wanting the WiiU to be able to play DVDs and Blurays, you're probably going to have to wait for Nintendo to add it in some update, or just play the Movie on a seperate system.

LegatoSkyheart

Seriously I honestly believe itshould be standard, who cares about the million other things what play DVDs id buy a Wii U for my kids and they dont have a DVD player in there room and I only want one device in the room due to wires. And its only a bit of software to read a DVD do we even know why they leave it out. And another thing what if someone only ever wants Nintendo consoles why not give them a choice

#132 Posted by locopatho (20540 posts) -

[QUOTE="LegatoSkyheart"]

The Wii could play DVDs.

WiiU can play Blurays.

bezza2011

Seriously I honestly believe itshould be standard, who cares about the million other things what play DVDs id buy a Wii U for my kids and they dont have a DVD player in there room and I only want one device in the room due to wires. And its only a bit of software to read a DVD do we even know why they leave it out. And another thing what if someone only ever wants Nintendo consoles why not give them a choice

Yeah by his logic my phone shouldn't have a calculator, calender, notepad, music player, video player, ebook reader, internet browser, email, Facebook, games, camera, video camera, microphone, or guitar tuner all built into it.... but it does... and that's FVCKING AWESOME!!!
#133 Posted by LegatoSkyheart (26090 posts) -

bezza2011

It's not like they still can't watch movies on the WiiU. You got Amazon video, Netflix, and Hulu.

#135 Posted by blackace (21272 posts) -

Nope.

lundy86_4
That's just one of the many reasons no one is buying it.
#136 Posted by lundy86_4 (44021 posts) -

[QUOTE="lundy86_4"]

Nope.

blackace

That's just one of the many reasons no one is buying it.

Based on zero evidence? Awesome. 

#137 Posted by StrongBlackVine (9467 posts) -

[QUOTE="bezza2011"]

LegatoSkyheart

It's not like they still can't watch movies on the WiiU. You got Amazon video, Netflix, and Hulu.

Weak response.

#138 Posted by lundy86_4 (44021 posts) -

Weak response.

StrongBlackVine

Hardly. In a world where DVD has been around for 17 years, there are multiple products to play that format. Streaming is the much newer technology that has been picking up in popularity, see: Netflix.

#139 Posted by GunSmith1_basic (9877 posts) -

[QUOTE="locopatho"][QUOTE="osirisx3"]

Cranler

Nintendo is too cheap to swallow the cost.

the real question is would the consumer want to pay the extra money to have DVD playback ability.

This is what I don't get: I believe that locopatho is correct that the wiiu has all the necessary hardware to play dvds and even blurays.  So if the wiiu has the ability to download apps such as the cable remote then why not apps that allow the wiiu to play DVDs and Blurays?  I suspect that we will see these apps eventually. 

#140 Posted by StrongBlackVine (9467 posts) -

[QUOTE="StrongBlackVine"]

Weak response.

lundy86_4

Hardly. In a world where DVD has been around for 17 years, there are multiple products to play that format. Streaming is the much newer technology that has been picking up in popularity, see: Netflix.

I love Netflix, but streaming quality is not as high as having disc or having the file on hard drivr

#141 Posted by getyeryayasout (8183 posts) -
Lack of DVD playback hurt the Dreamcast as well, all the way back in 2000-2001. Well, that and significantly more powerful hardware on the horizon. Luckily history never repeats it's self.
#142 Posted by lundy86_4 (44021 posts) -

I love Netflix, but streaming quality is not as high as having disc or having the file on hard drivr

StrongBlackVine

Streaming quality has surpassed DVD quality. Streaming quality lacks in comparison to newer technology, i.e. Blu-Ray/ripped file..

#143 Posted by GunSmith1_basic (9877 posts) -
if the wiiu is serious about being a media hub, mixing video streaming, cable, and the internet onto their platform then they have to do everything possible to include DVD and Bluray playback as well. Lots of people still have large DVD collections and Bluray collections, and lots of people like to play those movies. Some people don't have great internet connections, some people own DVDs that aren't available through streaming, and just about everybody will experience internet failure at some point in their lives. Make no mistake that if the 720 or ps4 have similar media hubs but can also play DVDs and Blurays, that people will prefer those platforms over the WiiU.
#144 Posted by jimkabrhel (15423 posts) -

Why would it need to? Aren't consoles for games?

#145 Posted by GunSmith1_basic (9877 posts) -

jimkabrhel
Nintendo are the ones pushing their TVii. If they want the wiiu to be a serious all-in-one device then they should take "all" to heart. If they don't, then the console will turn into a gaming-only device.
#146 Posted by jimkabrhel (15423 posts) -

[QUOTE="jimkabrhel"]

GunSmith1_basic

Nintendo are the ones pushing their TVii. If they want the wiiu to be a serious all-in-one device then they should take "all" to heart. If they don't, then the console will turn into a gaming-only device.

If they are making an effort to include digital media, I have no problem letting them forgo the ability to play hard copies.

#147 Posted by JohnF111 (14107 posts) -
Wow some serious damage control in here.. Paragraphs of the stuff.
#148 Posted by StaticOnTV (597 posts) -
It doesnt need to, It;s Streaming movies are compressed with using little memory, and can still output quality beyond that of a Blu-ray. How is this so? The Wii U gamepad has cylinders of data that hold certain singals from the Wii U system. Which is how stuff is displayed on the gamepads screen. However, there is plenty of unused space. In streaming video, the Wii U will use its GPU to render the video through the stream and send some video data to the Wii U gamepad to hold making a virtual GOU. This creates two Gpu's, which then the gamepad sents its graphical data back to the Wii U system. Making the video quality amazing a beyond what you see because of two graphical devices pushing together their power! Why use DVDs or Blu-rays when Nintendo is light years ahead.
#149 Posted by lundy86_4 (44021 posts) -

It doesnt need to, It;s Streaming movies are compressed with using little memory, and can still output quality beyond that of a Blu-ray. How is this so? The Wii U gamepad has cylinders of data that hold certain singals from the Wii U system. Which is how stuff is displayed on the gamepads screen. However, there is plenty of unused space. In streaming video, the Wii U will use its GPU to render the video through the stream and send some video data to the Wii U gamepad to hold making a virtual GOU. This creates two Gpu's, which then the gamepad sents its graphical data back to the Wii U system. Making the video quality amazing a beyond what you see because of two graphical devices pushing together their power! Why use DVDs or Blu-rays when Nintendo is light years ahead.StaticOnTV

:lol:

Provide evidence for anything stated. Are you still on cylinders? What about cubes, dodecahedrons, or spheres?

#150 Posted by StaticOnTV (597 posts) -

[QUOTE="StaticOnTV"]It doesnt need to, It;s Streaming movies are compressed with using little memory, and can still output quality beyond that of a Blu-ray. How is this so? The Wii U gamepad has cylinders of data that hold certain singals from the Wii U system. Which is how stuff is displayed on the gamepads screen. However, there is plenty of unused space. In streaming video, the Wii U will use its GPU to render the video through the stream and send some video data to the Wii U gamepad to hold making a virtual GOU. This creates two Gpu's, which then the gamepad sents its graphical data back to the Wii U system. Making the video quality amazing a beyond what you see because of two graphical devices pushing together their power! Why use DVDs or Blu-rays when Nintendo is light years ahead.lundy86_4

:lol:

Provide evidence for anything stated. Are you still on cylinders? What about cubes, dodecahedrons, or spheres?

Easy, what do you think displays the picture(and allows you to interact with virtual buttons) on the Wii U screen?