Can the WiiU even play DVDs?

This topic is locked from further discussion.

#151 Posted by lundy86_4 (43526 posts) -

Easy, what do you think displays the picture(and allows you to interact with virtual buttons) on the Wii U screen?StaticOnTV

We went over this before, and you didn't reply :lol:

Sorry bro, but you're full of it. Provide sources for your claims.

#152 Posted by StaticOnTV (583 posts) -

[QUOTE="StaticOnTV"]Easy, what do you think displays the picture(and allows you to interact with virtual buttons) on the Wii U screen?lundy86_4

We went over this before, and you didn't reply :lol:

Sorry bro, but you're full of it. Provide sources for your claims.

No we didn't. At least if we did I never saw your post. Answer the question.
#153 Posted by lundy86_4 (43526 posts) -

No we didn't. At least if we did I never saw your post. Answer the question.StaticOnTV

At the time, you replied. 

Provide sources for your claim. Basic debate practice :) I don't need to answer your question, as you've failed to provide evidence for your statements. At the moment, burden of proof, rests with you.

#154 Posted by StaticOnTV (583 posts) -

[QUOTE="StaticOnTV"]No we didn't. At least if we did I never saw your post. Answer the question.lundy86_4

At the time, you replied. 

Provide sources for your claim. Basic debate practice :) I don't need to answer your question, as you've failed to provide evidence for your statements. At the moment, burden of proof, rests with you.

You just said I didn't reply. Which one is it? You are saying data is not being held by the Wii U gamepad, if what's showing up on the screen isn't data what else could it possible be> These are electronic device, how is t not data?
#155 Posted by StrongBlackVine (8418 posts) -

[QUOTE="StrongBlackVine"]

I love Netflix, but streaming quality is not as high as having disc or having the file on hard drivr

lundy86_4

Streaming quality has surpassed DVD quality. Streaming quality lacks in comparison to newer technology, i.e. Blu-Ray/ripped file..

I'm talking bluray 1080p....

#156 Posted by lundy86_4 (43526 posts) -

You just said I didn't reply. Which one is it? You are saying data is not being held by the Wii U gamepad, if what's showing up on the screen isn't data what else could it possible be> These are electronic device, how is t not data?StaticOnTV

You spoke about "cylinders" and when I brought up a link questioning it, you didn't reply. Hence the "We went over this before..."

I'm asking you to provide evidence.

StrongBlackVine

You may have wanted to clarify, as this thread specifically talks about teh DVD format.

That, or you're b*tching out.

#157 Posted by DJ-Lafleur (34156 posts) -

Who the hell cares? With online streaming sites and probably hundreds of other devices that have been created in the last decade that can play DVDs, why would anyone buy a Wiiu for DVD playability?

#158 Posted by Gue1 (10192 posts) -

Wii U's an outdated piece of crap that is way over-priced.

#159 Posted by Giancar (19068 posts) -
Nope. Pretty stupid decision for a console launched in 2012 though. =/
#160 Posted by lundy86_4 (43526 posts) -

Gue1

You realize that the gamepad screen accounts for a portion of the price, right?

#161 Posted by StaticOnTV (583 posts) -

[QUOTE="StaticOnTV"]You just said I didn't reply. Which one is it? You are saying data is not being held by the Wii U gamepad, if what's showing up on the screen isn't data what else could it possible be> These are electronic device, how is t not data?lundy86_4

You spoke about "cylinders" and when I brought up a link questioning it, you didn't reply. Hence the "We went over this before..."

I'm asking you to provide evidence.

StrongBlackVine

You may have wanted to clarify, as this thread specifically talks about teh DVD format.

That, or you're b*tching out.

I looked back, no link was posted, and that has nothing to do with the question again: Does not the Wii U send data to the gamepad? Yes or No?
#162 Posted by lundy86_4 (43526 posts) -

I looked back, no link was posted, and that has nothing to do with the question again: Does not the Wii U send data to the gamepad? Yes or No?StaticOnTV

It certainly was. You told me to look up a very specific term, which yielded minimal results. It yielded this result. That result relates to a HDD. Care to link the quote you looked at?

Now, are you going to prove your point? Burden of proof is on you, dipsh*t :lol:

#163 Posted by StaticOnTV (583 posts) -

[QUOTE="StaticOnTV"] I looked back, no link was posted, and that has nothing to do with the question again: Does not the Wii U send data to the gamepad? Yes or No?lundy86_4

It certainly was. You told me to look up a very specific term, which yielded minimal results. It yielded this result. That result relates to a HDD. Care to link the quote you looked at?

Now, are you going to prove your point? Burden of proof is on you, dipsh*t :lol:

Which is a completely different thing than what I was saying entirely.\\ You are still not answering the question, does the Wii U not send data to the gamepad? Are you telling me you are too dumb to know electronic devices sed data wirelessly? I hope not. Now assuming you are not dumb will say you said yes. Does that not mean the gamepad has to hold that data somehow yes?
#164 Posted by lundy86_4 (43526 posts) -

Which is a completely different thing than what I was saying entirely.\\ You are still not answering the question, does the Wii U not send data to the gamepad? Are you telling me you are too dumb to know electronic devices sed data wirelessly? I hope not. Now assuming you are not dumb will say you said yes. Does that not mean the gamepad has to hold that data somehow yes?StaticOnTV

That is the second time I posted that link. The first time, you did not refute it. In fact, you did not reply.

Quote the post you were talking about in your prior communication.

----

Do you know what burden of proof is? I need not answer anything, before you prove:

[QUOTE="StaticOnTV"]It doesnt need to, It;s Streaming movies are compressed with using little memory, and can still output quality beyond that of a Blu-ray. How is this so? The Wii U gamepad has cylinders of data that hold certain singals from the Wii U system. Which is how stuff is displayed on the gamepads screen. However, there is plenty of unused space. In streaming video, the Wii U will use its GPU to render the video through the stream and send some video data to the Wii U gamepad to hold making a virtual GOU. This creates two Gpu's, which then the gamepad sents its graphical data back to the Wii U system. Making the video quality amazing a beyond what you see because of two graphical devices pushing together their power! Why use DVDs or Blu-rays when Nintendo is light years ahead.lundy86_4

:lol:

Provide evidence for anything stated. Are you still on cylinders? What about cubes, dodecahedrons, or spheres?

If we're going to resort to "who came first" because you are a complete child, then your post came first, thus you answer first.

Provide evidence for anything stated in that post. Sorry :(

#165 Posted by StaticOnTV (583 posts) -

[QUOTE="StaticOnTV"]

That is the second time I posted that link. The first time, you did not refute it. In fact, you did not reply.

Quote the post you were talking about in your prior communication.

----

Do you know what burden of proof is? I need not answer anything, before you prove:

[QUOTE="lundy86_4"]

[QUOTE="StaticOnTV"]It doesnt need to, It;s Streaming movies are compressed with using little memory, and can still output quality beyond that of a Blu-ray. How is this so? The Wii U gamepad has cylinders of data that hold certain singals from the Wii U system. Which is how stuff is displayed on the gamepads screen. However, there is plenty of unused space. In streaming video, the Wii U will use its GPU to render the video through the stream and send some video data to the Wii U gamepad to hold making a virtual GOU. This creates two Gpu's, which then the gamepad sents its graphical data back to the Wii U system. Making the video quality amazing a beyond what you see because of two graphical devices pushing together their power! Why use DVDs or Blu-rays when Nintendo is light years ahead.lundy86_4

:lol:

Provide evidence for anything stated. Are you still on cylinders? What about cubes, dodecahedrons, or spheres?

If we're going to resort to "who came first" because you are a complete child, then your post came first, thus you answer first.

Provide evidence for anything stated in that post. Sorry :(

Ok, here's proof: First off, the Wii U and Gamepad are devices:  Now, the stream from the gamepad, uses a signal(s) which comes from the Wii U, that reaches the controller, which stores the signal with its hardware, sometimes IR:  When the data is stored on the Wii U from a game stream or whatever else activity on the Wii U, it takes little memory. Inside the Wii U controller is what Is basically cylinders, although it's not the official name and we do not know how many cylinders the Wii u controller can hold:  Let's say each one of these is data cylinders ok? So what happens is the basic stream from Wii u or Wii U game like menus takes up some of what the Wii U can hold. Because we can all agree that more advanced games will have more stuff to stream at the controller correct? So, this can create free virtual storage which goes back to the Wii U:  Let's say that it;s sending data back to the Wii U. Now the Wii U gamepad has to have enough data space to hold for future more complex games, and currently it holds very little, and most things we expect from the gamepad will most likely be similar and such, so still not take up much. This means that they can send signals for the Wii u pad to hold, allowing more space on the actual console. Let's look at project X, the Wii u itself? handling all that distance and animation and dynamic models? The Slow CPu would chock on it, yet, what they did was send some of the data to hold on the Wii u, and some of that gets sent back to the Wii u in quantities improving the experience so the CPu can handle the tasks instead of being all in one place. You get results like this project X:  This means that the Wii U will have much more memory available for gaming development than all other systems out, coming, and the PC in its current form right now. There is no possible way for PS4 to beat enhanced memory of dual GPU tech!!!!!!1 | It will still be nice, but it won't be able to handle all the Wii u can't. Now ANSWER the question.
#166 Posted by lundy86_4 (43526 posts) -

*snip*

StaticOnTV

You've posted that before, and it proves nothing. Here.

It proved nothing then, and it doesn't now.

Furthermore, here is the page to which I posted the link, which you  did not reply to!!  :lol:

Link.

----

You're an amateur, playing with the big boys. If you don't want to be made a fool out of, don't bother posting lol.

#167 Posted by MonsieurX (30415 posts) -

There is no possible way for PS4 to beat enhanced memory of dual GPU tech!!!!!! | It will still be nice, but it won't be able to handle all the Wii u can't. Now ANSWER the question.StaticOnTV
Where did you get all that sweet info?

Any link to back that up?

#168 Posted by StaticOnTV (583 posts) -

[QUOTE="StaticOnTV"]There is no possible way for PS4 to beat enhanced memory of dual GPU tech!!!!!! | It will still be nice, but it won't be able to handle all the Wii u can't. Now ANSWER the question.MonsieurX

Where did you get all that sweet info?

Any link to back that up?

Video Game Charts information headquarters in Section Z. The most reliable, they even have weekly sales data.
#169 Posted by airshocker (29872 posts) -

Since when were PCs excluded from being a multimedia device? It makes perfect sense. You buy a video game console for video games. There should be no other factors than that.

Why would you buy more than one console at all? Basic multimedia functions? Disc-based media is hardly relevent to the casual consumer in the age of streaming and digital purchases. There's only one company that has an ass-backwards policy when it comes to streaming services.

ChubbyGuy40

The point is you're comparing apples and oranges. We're talking about apples.

Convenience is of the utmost relevance to the consumer. It's why it's convenient to have something that can play DVDs and blu-rays, on top of being able to stream. This isn't rocket science. So the WiiU can do one of those things. Big fvcking deal. When it can do what my 360 and PS3 do, then we'll be talking. And then maybe I'd have a reason to buy it.

#170 Posted by OB-47 (10909 posts) -

Nintendo has never been interested in making their products entertainment hubs, but that's probably because their online sucks.

#171 Posted by kingjazziephiz (2433 posts) -

Nintendo has never been interested in making their products entertainment hubs, but that's probably because their online sucks.

OB-47
What does this have to do with playing DVDs? Just wondering
#172 Posted by OB-47 (10909 posts) -

[QUOTE="OB-47"]

kingjazziephiz

Nintendo isn't interested in making their consoles multi-media devices or hubs for entertainment. So no DVD's. 
Also online plays a huge part in the way entertainment is distributed today, and because Ninty can't seem to make a decent online system, they can't really compete in that area.

#173 Posted by Primordialous (1276 posts) -

lol WiiU

People hyped it up like it was the best thing EVER. Now look at it.

#174 Posted by SuperFlakeman (7342 posts) -

[QUOTE="kingjazziephiz"][QUOTE="OB-47"]

OB-47

Nintendo isn't interested in making their consoles multi-media devices or hubs for entertainment. So no DVD's. 
Also online plays a huge part in the way entertainment is distributed today, and because Ninty can't seem to make a decent online system, they can't really compete in that area.

Netflix was massive on Wii. Nintendo pushed it alot.

Now they are doing TVii.

#175 Posted by MonsieurX (30415 posts) -

lol WiiU

Primordialous
Where?
#176 Posted by Zophar87 (4351 posts) -

lol WiiU

Primordialous

Uhm, not really...

#177 Posted by Rattlesnake_8 (18414 posts) -

[QUOTE="Timstuff"]

[QUOTE="UNcartMe"]

I was just wondering if it can finally play CDs and DVDs directly from the disc drive.

LegatoSkyheart

Nintendo has failed to include these basic features since the Gamecube. Why start now?

at this point, does it even matter?

No but it's another basic feature that every other platform offers that Nintendo don't.. Does anyone know why they don't include it?
#178 Posted by StrongBlackVine (8418 posts) -

[QUOTE="Gue1"]

lundy86_4

Tablet controller gimmick crap

#179 Posted by lundy86_4 (43526 posts) -

[QUOTE="lundy86_4"]

[QUOTE="Gue1"]

StrongBlackVine

Thanks for your wonderfully in-depth opinion. Shower us with your wisdom.

[spoiler] Actually, shut up. [/spoiler]

#180 Posted by StrongBlackVine (8418 posts) -

And WiiU has bluray drive it should play bluray discs. I know we don't expect much from Nintendo but don't lower your standards that much

#181 Posted by Primordialous (1276 posts) -

[QUOTE="StrongBlackVine"]

[QUOTE="lundy86_4"]

lundy86_4

Thanks for your wonderfully in-depth opinion. Shower us with your wisdom.

[spoiler] Actually, shut up. [/spoiler]

#182 Posted by Riverwolf007 (23865 posts) -

so? everything in my house plays dvds anyway.

seriously almost everything, there are four separate things in my entertainment center right this second that  plays dvds, i can dl them onto my pc and transfer them to the damn phone for gods sake,  my car plays dvds, i fully expect my next sofa to play them.

there is literally nothing  less i need in the world than one more thing that can play a dvd.

#183 Posted by locopatho (20373 posts) -

Who the hell cares? With online streaming sites and probably hundreds of other devices that have been created in the last decade that can play DVDs, why would anyone buy a Wiiu for DVD playability?

DJ-Lafleur
That's a bullsh!t argument that only Ninty fanboys use. No one would buy it "just" for DVDs. But it would be a great feature to have. Who buys a Samsung Galaxy SIII "just" for Google Maps? Or mp3 playback? Or it's calendar? Or a guitar tuner app? No one. But all those things add to it's core value of being a phone. Especially when all it's competitors have the same features.
#184 Posted by locopatho (20373 posts) -

so? everything in my house plays dvds anyway.

seriously almost everything, there are four separate things in my entertainment center right this second that  plays dvds, i can dl them onto my pc and transfer them to the damn phone for gods sake,  my car plays dvds, i fully expect my next sofa to play them.

there is literally nothing  less i need in the world than one more thing that can play a dvd.

Riverwolf007
Cool so every new piece of tech should have LESS features then it's previous versions, since YOU already own the previous version? Not very good logic my friend. New tech should keep all the old features and add more on top. PS1 played CDs and PS1 games, PS2 played CDs and DVDs and PS1 games and PS2 games. PS3 played CDs and DVDs and Blu Rays and PS1 games and PS2 games and PS3 games. That's doing it right. (waits for "lol Sony lose money, Nintendo make money" comeback...)
#185 Posted by LegatoSkyheart (25549 posts) -

hL6EJ3k.png

#186 Posted by DJ-Lafleur (34156 posts) -

[QUOTE="DJ-Lafleur"]

locopatho

That's a bullsh!t argument that only Ninty fanboys use. No one would buy it "just" for DVDs. But it would be a great feature to have. Who buys a Samsung Galaxy SIII "just" for Google Maps? Or mp3 playback? Or it's calendar? Or a guitar tuner app? No one. But all those things add to it's core value of being a phone. Especially when all it's competitors have the same features.

It wouldn't be a bad feature, no, the more the merrier afterall. But it is still a very minor part of the Wii U, especially considering when the time in which it released. I would assume in 2013 almost everybody has SOMETHING that can play DVDs and/or stream netflix/hulu/whatever, so really I doubt anyone other than fanboys/Nintendo haters trying to nitpick reasons to bash Nintendo really care at all about the Wii U not being able toplay DVDs.

So I can't watch DVDs on my Wii U? Whatever,I still got a functional PS2, or there is a DVD player back at my house. Or better yet I'll just browse netflix on my 360, Wii, 3DS (if I really felt like it lol), Wii U, etc. Or I guess I could always check stuff out on the on demand channel back home on the parents' TV.

In the end, if people are going to make 'NINTENDO IS DOOMED" articles, atleast make it over something that actually f*cking matters or something people would actually give a crap about in this day and age.

#187 Posted by getyeryayasout (7599 posts) -
Am I the only one who suffers brief internet outages from time to time, or inconsistent service on the odd night? Netflix is less than ideal on those nights, and it'd be nice if you could pop in a disc.
#188 Posted by MirkoS77 (7579 posts) -
Amazes me. Nintendo loyalists would defend them if they decided to remove analog sticks.
#189 Posted by nintendoboy16 (26872 posts) -

[QUOTE="ChubbyGuy40"]

[QUOTE="HalcyonScarlet"]

The vast majority?

HalcyonScarlet

Vast majority uses Netflix, Amazon Instant Video, ect. Streaming services are all the rage now. Pretty much anyone who doesn't live in the stone-age.

World wide, I bet most still use DVD. People aren't convinced about Blu Ray until they see it for their own eyes proving itself. Online streaming isn't available everywhere and that's just a rental service, people still have their own collection of film/tv they'd like to keep.

Yep, even I still use DVD's.
#190 Posted by nintendoboy16 (26872 posts) -

Amazes me. Nintendo loyalists would defend them if they decided to remove analog sticks. MirkoS77
3DS, which lacks a second stick, is understandable, but no analog sticks at all? You can expect the sheep to be pissed.

That misconception is just as bad as saying the FGC only cares about "Tournament friendly" fighters.

#191 Posted by nintendoboy16 (26872 posts) -

lol WiiU

Primordialous
Where the hell were you? People did nothing but SLAM the thing even before it released.
#192 Posted by kraken2109 (13070 posts) -

With DVDs and Blu-Rays you actually own it physically which is nice, and they're better quality.

#193 Posted by G0TENKz (34 posts) -
[QUOTE="MonsieurX"]Couldn't you google it? Disguised troll thread

I know this is old, but this thread IS the top google search result... I hate replies like this.
#196 Posted by no-scope-AK47 (2806 posts) -

Nintendo does not want to pay for the license to play dvd/blu-ray movies. Just another way of saving themselves money and making you spend your money. Every other console plays dvd's and the ps3 plays all disc. They say it plays games but there are none worth buying a wii u for at this time. At least if it could play movies it would be good for something besides a dust bunny collector.

#197 Posted by MonsieurX (30415 posts) -
dat necro
#198 Posted by lamprey263 (24151 posts) -
it could if Nintendo felt like spending $2 per unit to license rights for DVD/BR codecs to support playback
#199 Posted by Heirren (17319 posts) -

With DVDs and Blu-Rays you actually own it physically which is nice, and they're better quality.

kraken2109

netflix is much higher quality than dvd.

#200 Posted by layton2012 (3653 posts) -
If you don't already have a DVD player you probably couldn't afford a console anyway.