Bill Gates: I absolutely support Nadella in dumping Xbox

• 161 results

This topic is locked from further discussion.

#1 Edited by Locutus_Picard (3980 posts) -

"Gates, the founder and former CEO of Microsoft, said he’s been helping new CEO Satya Nadella transition into his new leadership role and that he would support Nadella if the new CEO proposed a spinoff of one of Microsoft’s units. But Gates said he didn’t foresee either Bing, the company’s search engine division, or Xbox, its gaming division, as potential stand-alone companies because they are part of Microsoft’s long-term strategy."

LINK

Oops...

#JumpOut

#2 Edited by super600 (30509 posts) -

We don't need three different threads on this topic.Discuss this in one of the other threads.

#3 Posted by blue_hazy_basic (27526 posts) -

Unlocking this one to allow people to discuss because at least it provided some context ... TC a better link if and when available would be nice.

#4 Posted by Daious (1239 posts) -

Is this real?

#5 Posted by chikenfriedrice (10165 posts) -

I would like to see a real statement from Billy.....this doesn't mean shit right now.

#6 Posted by blue_hazy_basic (27526 posts) -

Also get ready for a complete misinterpretation and overreaction in 3 ... 2 ... 1...

#7 Posted by misterpmedia (3380 posts) -

Also get ready for a complete misinterpretation and overreaction in 3 ... 2 ... 1...

but that's what makes system wars fun lol.

#8 Posted by Couth_ (10058 posts) -

Why did she @ warren buffet is he the buyer? Lol

#9 Edited by RR360DD (11766 posts) -

So I guess Nadella saying he'd rather focus on Xbox than spin it off means nothing anymore LOL

Keep grasping cows

#10 Posted by super600 (30509 posts) -

Microsoft won't spin off the xbox division anytime soon.Gates is just supporting whatever vision Nadella has for the xbox.

#11 Posted by blue_hazy_basic (27526 posts) -

@blue_hazy_basic said:

but then u get the morons who don't read anything properly, put it to context and don't read the follow up and repeat the wrong info as if its fact for eternity *hangs head*

#12 Posted by GoldenElementXL (2955 posts) -

Gates is just really trying to appear as if he stands by and trusts Nadella. It would make Microsoft look bad and worry shareholders if he didn't.

The more important part of TC's posts is "But Gates said he didn’t foresee either Bing, the company’s search engine division, or Xbox, its gaming division, as potential stand-alone companies because they are part of Microsoft’s long-term strategy"

#13 Posted by chikenfriedrice (10165 posts) -

And according to the TC's quote, Bing and Xbox are in MS's long term strategy....or are my reading comprehension skills lacking?

#14 Edited by Ghost120x (3791 posts) -

In b4 cows make this a bad thing.

It would be better for the brand and will allow Xbox to get more focus rather than keeping it with MS (who has its hands in way too many marktets imo)

#15 Edited by Couth_ (10058 posts) -

@blue_hazy_basic: says right in the op Xbox is part of their long term strategy but its as if not reading things is part of the terms when you sign up for this site

#16 Posted by blue_hazy_basic (27526 posts) -

@Couth_ said:

Why did she @ warren buffet is he the buyer? Lol

Do you know how tweets work? :P She hashed tagged everything she could think of to try and get attention!

#17 Posted by RR360DD (11766 posts) -

And according to the TC's quote, Bing and Xbox are in MS's long term strategy....or are my reading comprehension skills lacking?

Your reading comprehension skills are fine.

Cows on the other hand ....

#18 Posted by blue_hazy_basic (27526 posts) -

@Couth_ said:

@blue_hazy_basic: says right in the op Xbox is part of their long term strategy but its as if not reading things is part of the terms when you sign up for this sight

lol no ****!

#19 Edited by Desmonic (13743 posts) -

Déjà vu :P

Also lol @ the first posts :P Damnit mods, get your act together XD

#20 Edited by darkangel115 (1579 posts) -

lol dumping and spinning off are not the same

#21 Edited by misterpmedia (3380 posts) -

@misterpmedia said:

@blue_hazy_basic said:

but then u get the morons who don't read anything properly, put it to context and don't read the follow up and repeat the wrong info as if its fact for eternity *hangs head*

lol true. But how it plays out is the entertaining part :P

#22 Edited by santoron (7717 posts) -

Lol.

Really though, no big deal. Gates isn't asking for a spinoff. Nadella isn't proposing one either. IF it came up, Gates would go along. It does make some sense for a MS that has to sell a "refocus" of the corporation, but honestly it'd be a pain in the ass to do because they'd have to set it up to be a viable solo business. That gets expensive, and takes time.

And even if it did happen, XBox would still be around. Lems would just lose their favorite talking point when things are looking down: money MS makes from things unrelated to XBox.

#23 Edited by Desmonic (13743 posts) -

I would like to see a real statement from Billy.....this doesn't mean shit right now.

"Billy"....hmmmm.....

#24 Edited by chikenfriedrice (10165 posts) -

@RR360DD said:

@chikenfriedrice said:

Your reading comprehension skills are fine.

Cows on the other hand ....

Jeez, I have never seen a non story get so many threads in such a short amount of time lol.

#25 Edited by blue_hazy_basic (27526 posts) -

@Desmonic said:

Déjà vu :P

Also lol @ the first posts :P Damnit mods, get your act together XD

Was my fault, not supers :D

#26 Edited by jsmoke03 (12837 posts) -

2nd part more important than the first.

#27 Posted by Desmonic (13743 posts) -
#28 Posted by chikenfriedrice (10165 posts) -

@Desmonic said:

@chikenfriedrice said:

"Billy"....hmmmm.....

Good find

#29 Edited by coasterguy65 (5922 posts) -

This is why I keep coming back to Gamespot. The comedy here is golden. Bill Gates basically saying he supports the new CEO, and if he decides to spinoff one of the divisions he would support it. This somehow equals "absolutely supporting" the dumping of the Xbox division.

Straws grasped...confirmed....lol. Fanboy delusions also confirmed...

#30 Posted by Desmonic (13743 posts) -

@chikenfriedrice: Have no idea what movie that's from, but I can almost hear his voice during the gif lol

#31 Posted by misterpmedia (3380 posts) -

Essentially though, Gates has given Nadella the green light for the execution, whether it will happen or not is a different ball game. We'll just have to see how itchy Nadella's trigger finger gets as we move on :P.

#32 Edited by chikenfriedrice (10165 posts) -

@Desmonic said:

@chikenfriedrice: Have no idea what movie that's from, but I can almost hear his voice during the gif lol

Cable Guy....very underrated flick

#33 Edited by Desmonic (13743 posts) -

@jsmoke03 said:

Nuh-uh! Cause, cause that's postive and sh!t! Only theoritical negative points about MS matter! :P

#34 Edited by FireEmblem_Man (8698 posts) -

I'm also in support of this decision, the Xbox division will be a spinoff company

#35 Posted by magicalclick (22544 posts) -

@chikenfriedrice: Me too. I am confused as well. But, I trust Bill Gates more than mad cows for sure.

#36 Posted by Pray_to_me (2837 posts) -

The moderators of System Wars continue to mollycoddle Microsoft.

#37 Edited by blue_hazy_basic (27526 posts) -

I'm also in support of this decision, the Xbox division will be a spinoff company

But Gates said he didn’t foresee either Bing, the company’s search engine division, or Xbox, its gaming division, as potential stand-alone companies because they are part of Microsoft’s long-term strategy

#38 Edited by GoldenElementXL (2955 posts) -

Essentially though, Gates has given Nadella the green light for the execution, whether it will happen or not is a different ball game. We'll just have to see how itchy Nadella's trigger finger gets as we move on :P.

The former CEO can give the current CEO the green light to do something?

All Gates did was tell shareholders he believes in Nadella's ability. If Xbox is in Microsoft's long term strategy why would they spinoff all of a sudden?

#39 Posted by Desmonic (13743 posts) -

@chikenfriedrice: Really? Damn, don't remember that scene at all. Well f*ck, gonna have to see it again now! I do remember (and love) the Medieval Times scene XD

#40 Edited by ghostwarrior786 (4280 posts) -

hhahahahaha this is hilarious, after all the doom talk lems do for sony it seems xbox is more dispensable to m$ than playstation is for sony hahaha

#41 Edited by chikenfriedrice (10165 posts) -

@Desmonic: The basketball scene was also top notch.

#42 Posted by sibu_xgamer (339 posts) -

It wouldn't surprise me if someday not long from now Microsoft decides to drop the xbox brand. I mean, MS is trying to take gaming to one direction but the industry is resisting. So there are two possible outcomes in my view: either the industry becomes what MS wants which I doubt and hope not; or the industry decides its own course and MS has to adapt. Now in the second case there's a possibility that MS just doesn't care about the general direction the industry is taking and will decide to drop out of it to pursue other strategies.

#43 Posted by GoldenElementXL (2955 posts) -

hhahahahaha this is hilarious, after all the doom talk lems do for sony it seems xbox is more dispensable to m$ than playstation is for sony hahaha

I hope this isn't really what you got from the quote. Please tell me you are trolling.

#44 Posted by Locutus_Picard (3980 posts) -
#45 Posted by Desmonic (13743 posts) -

@Desmonic: The basketball scene was also top notch.

I recall the whole movie being pretty amazing! It's been some 6-7 years since I last saw it though. Such a shame his movies nowadays are kinda crappy.

#46 Posted by misterpmedia (3380 posts) -

@misterpmedia said:

The former CEO can give the current CEO the green light to do something?

All Gates did was tell shareholders he believes in Nadella's ability. If Xbox is in Microsoft's long term strategy why would they spinoff all of a sudden?

Isn't Gates a majority shareholder? And as I stated "whether it will happen or not is a different ball game".

#47 Posted by shawn30 (4367 posts) -

@misterpmedia said:

@blue_hazy_basic said:

So much agreement here.

#48 Posted by kuu2 (7107 posts) -

Answering a question affirming you stand behind your new CEO....................

Cows gunna Cow.

#49 Edited by jsmoke03 (12837 posts) -

@Desmonic said:

@jsmoke03 said:

Nuh-uh! Cause, cause that's postive and sh!t! Only theoritical negative points about MS matter! :P

cows, continue the circle jerking

#50 Posted by heretrix (37339 posts) -

Apparently it's better than the person that started this thread.