Are Naughty Dog better Valve

• 151 results

This topic is locked from further discussion.

uninspiredcup

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 86

User Lists: 2

Edited By uninspiredcup  Online

Poll Are Naughty Dog better Valve (98 votes)

Valve revolutionized gaming, saved pc gaming, populized and saved indie gaming, populized modding, made the greatest single player FPS of all time, made the greatest Free2play title of all time e.t.c.. e.t.c.... 59%
Naughty Dog made two pretty decent third person games 39%

My friends. This is a very heated system wars debate. Many of us feel passionately one way or the other. But, through the use of popularity voting (that is 100% accurate) we will factually, finally have a decision as to who is the best of the best.

• 
lostrib

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 0

#1  Edited By lostrib
Member since 2009 • 49999 Posts

I have to say Valve, or they'll take my games away. It's in the Steam TOS

freedomfreak

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

#2 freedomfreak
Member since 2004 • 52426 Posts

I feel like voting ND just to spite you, but you use 'my friends' a lot. And friends don't act like that towards each other.

IgGy621985

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#3 IgGy621985
Member since 2004 • 5922 Posts

Nice job with subtle poll options. Also, learn English ffs.

Avatar image for deactivated-5c8ff6a32bb23
deactivated-5c8ff6a32bb23

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

#4 deactivated-5c8ff6a32bb23
Member since 2012 • 3185 Posts

Both are awesome, but Valve no doubt.

Avatar image for FreedomFreeLife
FreedomFreeLife

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#5 FreedomFreeLife
Member since 2013 • 3948 Posts

Everyone who played both games votes Valve, Sony fanboys who never played any PC game never voted ND.

Clearly, VALVE WON BUT SONY FANBOYS NEVER PLAYED ANY THEIR GAMES AND VOTED ND!!!

SO VALVE WON!

lostrib

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#6 lostrib
Member since 2009 • 49999 Posts

@FreedomFreeLife said:

Everyone who played both games votes Valve, Sony fanboys who never played any PC game never voted ND.

Clearly, VALVE WON BUT SONY FANBOYS NEVER PLAYED ANY THEIR GAMES AND VOTED ND!!!

SO VALVE WON!

dude, turn off the capslock

mems_1224

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#7 mems_1224
Member since 2004 • 56919 Posts

Valve barely makes games anymore.

Rage010101

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#8 Rage010101
Member since 2006 • 5470 Posts

lol Naughty Dog can't even hold a candle to how much Valve has impacted the gaming industry. Not even on the same league, not even on the same level. ND are scrubs in comparison.

Avatar image for deactivated-5c8ff6a32bb23
deactivated-5c8ff6a32bb23

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

#9  Edited By deactivated-5c8ff6a32bb23
Member since 2012 • 3185 Posts

@FreedomFreeLife said:

SO VALVE WON!

I actually agree with you on something, but you should lay off the caps lock.

no-scope-AK47

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#11 no-scope-AK47
Member since 2012 • 3755 Posts

@Desmonic said:

Yeah, yeah, yeah Valve is great, we know that. That doesn't stop other studios from being great either.

Having said that, Valve is quite a bit more than just a "regular" studio. They are becoming a fully fledged company. They have their own online store which is huge, they have their own OS, they'll have their own controller and hardware platforms soon enough + their own catalogue of games.

Even giants like R*, Blizzard and the like would be at a disadvantage when you factor all of those into the equation. Valve is now too big to compare with a regular studio. Soon enough we'll be "forced" to compare them to other companies like Sony, Ninty or MS. Just give them a couple more years and it'll happen.

I hear you soon valve will be pc gaming as is they have way too much power.

Avatar image for SirSlimyScrotum
SirSlimyScott

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 6

#12 SirSlimyScott
Member since 2013 • 275 Posts

I can't stand any Valve games other than L4D, but their service is probably the best, so Naughty Dog for me when it comes down to games.

zeeshanhaider

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#13  Edited By zeeshanhaider
Member since 2004 • 5524 Posts

Comparing Valve to any other studio like ND is not only an insult to Valve but a crime against humanity. How many studios have taken risks like Valve? Every valve product screams quality and creativity. With every games they brought something new to the table and didn't just churn out sequels yearly or every two years which they could have done easily. Valave impact on the industry is so fucking huge. What the **** did ND do in caparison?

Avatar image for CrownKingArthur
CrownKingArthur

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#14 CrownKingArthur
Member since 2013 • 5262 Posts

@FreedomFreeLife said:

SO VALVE WON!

hey, i can still see some little letters in there. just put everything in caps man, that way people know you have something important to say.

cain006

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 38

#15 cain006
Member since 2008 • 8625 Posts

I'd say valve, TF2 is one of my favorite online games ever. I don't care for their other games that much. I've played U3 and Last of Us, Last of Us was great and I didn't like U3.

good_sk8er7

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 14

#16  Edited By good_sk8er7
Member since 2009 • 4327 Posts

Since Valve doesn't really make games anymore... yes they are better.

I didn't really fancy Half Life either so... yeah.

handssss

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#17 handssss
Member since 2013 • 1907 Posts

Two games? Naughty Dog has created 2 other great IPs you are forgetting. They made more than Just Uncharted and Last of Us, you know.

Also, I think Half Life 2 sucks and is boring and I have played it and the expansions. (on pc too so calm your tits) But sure, let's call Half-life a great franchise. They made that and pretty much everything else they are credited for making since then have merely been the work of assimilated modding groups. (portal, l4d, counterstrike, team fortress) Yes, steam is a good service, but I don't give 1 shit about that. I'm not going to kiss their ass and pretend every lameass portal joke is grade A humor and never shut up about it because steam is good.

Overall they deliver more to gaming than Naughty Dog, but as far as who makes better games, I'm disagreeing that they are better.

uninspiredcup

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#18  Edited By uninspiredcup  Online
Member since 2013 • 58956 Posts

Looks like Valve has destroyed Naughty Dog. Even with all lthe younger people on the board.

Respect my bros, respect.

hrt_rulz01

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#19 hrt_rulz01
Member since 2006 • 22375 Posts

Both are good, but Valve for me. HL2 is my fav game ever.

Pikminmaniac

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 14

#20 Pikminmaniac
Member since 2006 • 11513 Posts

Naughty Dog used to be decent, but now they've plummeted in quality a great deal (a play through of TLOU still pending).

Valve has always been pretty good and now with Portal, they've gotten a bit excellent.

Joedgabe

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 7

#21 Joedgabe
Member since 2006 • 5134 Posts

Besides TF2 i don't think i've ever played any valve games. And because of people like you TC i think i should stay away from them or i'm going to end up hating them out of the let down. I already know it's a let down incoming before i play them.

Avatar image for deactivated-5acbb9993d0bd
deactivated-5acbb9993d0bd

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#22 deactivated-5acbb9993d0bd
Member since 2012 • 12449 Posts

@zeeshanhaider said:

Comparing Valve to any other studio like ND is not only an insult to Valve but a crime against humanity. How many studios have taken risks like Valve? Every valve product screams quality and creativity. With every games they brought something new to the table and didn't just churn out sequels yearly or every two years which they could have done easily. Valave impact on the industry is so fucking huge. What the **** did ND do in caparison?

make graphic whore games with little substance beyond movie like visuals and animation.... basically as far as games goe, Crash and Daxter were far better.

But you know... console gamers don't care about graphics... thats graphic whoring pc gamers.

apperently the more like a movie a game is, the best in the industry it is...

makes sense right? ... yea.... totally.

BlbecekBobecek

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

#23  Edited By BlbecekBobecek
Member since 2006 • 2949 Posts

Rubbish poll, grammar mistake in the title... smells like crapthread to me.

Anyway the question is wrong, you can't really compare the two.

Naughty God made some of the best games of the last gen, in particular TLOU is truly amazing piece of art in gaming, I expected a lot from it and it far exceeded all my expectations as well as my secret wet dreams. I'm still digesting the amazing cliche-less pathos-less yet beautiful and touching ending. And the best part is that the gameplay itself is just as good as the story. But there is little impact on the industry, they just make awesome games, don't try to reinvent gaming itself.

Valve on the other hand... they really changed how FPS games look like today. Their impact on the industry can't be overexagerated. The thing is they haven't made a game for ages (except excellent Dota 2, that is basically just DotA with new interface and much improved online capabilities).

trugs26

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#24  Edited By trugs26
Member since 2004 • 7539 Posts

What's the point in making a poll where the options are extremely biased, then presenting it as if it weren't? Because it would have been a more interesting poll if it were presented impartially.

Anyway, my vote would've went to Valve anyway.

shadiezz2012

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

#25  Edited By shadiezz2012
Member since 2012 • 2474 Posts

Wow, what happened to System wars ?! it used to have great users :(

i have seen soooo many troll topics here ,where are the mods ?!

cfisher2833

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#26  Edited By cfisher2833
Member since 2011 • 2150 Posts

I'd personally have to go with Valve. I never liked Crash Bandicoot, and I never bothered with Jak and Daxter because of how annoying the characters were. I also think it's considerably more difficult to create a well balanced, intricate multiplayer game than it is to make a good single player game. How many companies other than Valve have created not one, but two franchises that have gone on to be e-sports material? Most Naughty Dog games get by due to their story, not their gameplay, which is pretty typical third person shooter stuff.

NFJSupreme

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#27 NFJSupreme
Member since 2005 • 6605 Posts

At what, making games? I'd have to say naughty dog because valve doesn't do much of that these days. As far as place in gaming industry and overall impact on the industry I'll go with valve

Krelian-co

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#28 Krelian-co
Member since 2006 • 13274 Posts

And yet Naughty Dog are better developers :(

Lulu_Lulu

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#29 Lulu_Lulu
Member since 2013 • 19564 Posts

Better at what exactly ? What are we comparing ?

R4gn4r0k

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#30 R4gn4r0k
Member since 2004 • 46283 Posts

Haven't cared for a Valve title in a long while (and probably won't for another while) so Naughty Dog all the way !!

I don't care what they have done, I care what they do now.

PannicAtack

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#31  Edited By PannicAtack
Member since 2006 • 21040 Posts

Wow. TC was actually funny for once with the poll options.

Almost.

DarkLink77

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#32 DarkLink77
Member since 2004 • 32731 Posts

Valve is a creatively bankrupt studio who hasn't made an original IP since Half-Life.

But what about Left 4 Dead?

That was Turtle Rock's idea. Valve bought them.

B-b-but Portal.

Once again, someone else's idea that they bought.

But Counter Strike and Team Fortress....

Both mods they bought.

DOTA 2....

Is basically intellectual property theft. They stole WarCraft 3's game mechanics and art design. The only reason it's not called Defense of the Ancients 2 is because Blizzard sued them.

They're a shit company with no original ideas. The only thing they really have going for them is Half-Life (a series and fanbase they no longer care about), and Steam.

Naughty Dog has made some great games, but are inconsistent as ****. Gun to my head, I choose Valve, but only for Steam.

zarshack

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 149

#33 zarshack
Member since 2009 • 9936 Posts

If we are talking about them as purely game development studios and ignoring the whole steam thing (which is irrelevant if we are talking about the games the company makes), and if we go by recent years Valve has the higher game output, 5 releases since 2009 vs 3 releases by Naughty Dog.

Uncharted 2 (2009) Vs Left 4 Dead 2 (2009)
Nothing in 2010 (ND) Vs Alien Swarm (2010)
Uncharted 3 (2011) Vs Portal 2 (2011)
Nothing in 2012 (ND) Vs Counter strike GO (2012)
The Last of Us (2013) Vs DOTA 2 (2013)

Things that need to be remembered are that Valve is a bigger company with more employees, and that Valve is also a publisher.

Personally from that list of titles from them both in recent years i prefer the ND games overall but it's entirely subjective, I really enjoyed L4D2 and Portal 2, and Alien Swarm was pretty fun, I just never really got into DOTA2 much and i never played Counterstrike GO....

shadiezz2012

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#34  Edited By shadiezz2012

@DarkLink77 said:

Valve is a creatively bankrupt studio who hasn't made an original IP since Half-Life.

B-b-but Portal.

Both mods they bought.

DOTA 2....

Is basically intellectual property theft. They stole WarCraft 3's game mechanics and art design. The only reason it's not called Defense of the Ancients 2 is because Blizzard sued them.

They're a shit company with no original ideas. The only thing they really have going for them is Half-Life (a series and fanbase they no longer care about), and Steam.

Naughty Dog has made some great games, but are inconsistent as ****. Gun to my head, I choose Valve, but only for Steam.

you made very good points and i don't like any thing Valve made TBH and i don't find any thing new or original

as for ND you again right

i really loved Uncharted 2, and after UC3 hype died for me after only 2 month i didn't like it as much as UC2 still enjoy it though but i adore TLOU and it's my GOTG , i hope they keep up what they are doing now with TLOU with their next titles and never look back at UC3 gameplay or story

for me ND is the best developer right now though

uninspiredcup

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#35  Edited By uninspiredcup  Online

@DarkLink77 said:

B-b-but Portal.

Both mods they bought.

DOTA 2....

Valve has won and Bioshock sucks. Thus, the universe is in alignment.

Ballroompirate

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 10

#36  Edited By Ballroompirate
Member since 2005 • 26695 Posts

To put it simple, ND is awesome and Valve is a has been company.

AznbkdX

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#37  Edited By AznbkdX
Member since 2012 • 4284 Posts

Naughty Dog is okay. Valve is on a different level imo.

I can agree with Dark Link though to some extent. I wouldn't say completely creatively bankrupt, but there is some air of truth to it only because of never renewing their franchises or adding weird F2P stuff to them to keep them somewhat fresh. More power to them if it works which it has to some extent, but I'm sure some overhaul would be welcome sooner than later. Steam is really what makes them shine even if there deals have lost out at times to Amazon (not just because I got a lot of games too, but literally the prices).

DarkLink77

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#38  Edited By DarkLink77

@uninspiredcup said:

@DarkLink77 said:

B-b-but Portal.

Both mods they bought.

DOTA 2....

Forever better than Valve's "games." They'd be irrelevant if they didn't have other people's ideas to throw money at.

Jankarcop

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#39 Jankarcop
Member since 2011 • 11058 Posts

VALVE:

-Revolutionized FPS (Half-Life)

-Revolutionized Coop Shooters (LFD)

-Saved PC gaming (Digital)

-Making VR a reality (O-Rift)

-Saving gaming soon. (SteamBox)

Naughty Dog:

-Made 2 highly acclaimed interactive-movies.

This is like comparing an Emporer to a Trash Collector.

AznbkdX

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#40 AznbkdX
Member since 2012 • 4284 Posts

@cain006 said:

I'd say valve, TF2 is one of my favorite online games ever. I don't care for their other games that much. I've played U3 and Last of Us, Last of Us was great and I didn't like U3.

Nice that there is more people who also agree that TF2 is the shit. :)

Haven't played it in months but it's still my favorite online game.

uninspiredcup

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#41 uninspiredcup  Online

@DarkLink77 said:

@uninspiredcup said:

@DarkLink77 said:

B-b-but Portal.

Both mods they bought.

DOTA 2....

Forever better than Valve's "games." They'd be irrelevant

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EODbHVySFWM

Being an older gamer with a much wider repertoire of games, I look at history, the big picture. Unlike you young console fellows, loud and stuck in the immediate, I can objectively look at history as a whole. By doing so, we see almost every AAA game (including Bioshock my very very young friend) have taken "inspiration" from the creatively bankrupt Valve. And all those creatively bankrupt people bought up and now part of Valve (due to Valve not being creative).

Son, you need to go back to the drawing board. Reevaluate things.

DarkLink77

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#42  Edited By DarkLink77

@uninspiredcup said:

@DarkLink77 said:

@uninspiredcup said:

@DarkLink77 said:

B-b-but Portal.

Both mods they bought.

DOTA 2....

Forever better than Valve's "games." They'd be irrelevant

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EODbHVySFWM

Being an older gamer with a much wider repertoire of games, I look at history, the big picture. Unlike you young console fellows, loud and stuck in the immediate, I can objectively look at history as a whole. By doing so, we see almost every AAA game (including Bioshock my very very young friend) have taken "inspiration" from the creatively bankrupt Valve. And all those creatively bankrupt people bought up and now part of Valve (due to Valve not being creative).

Son, you need to go back to the drawing board. Reevaluate things.

Lol okay, sure. The original Half-Life was super important. It was also made more than 15 years ago, and they've made nothing with an influence that's even remotely comparable since, Steam aside. And even Gabe himself has said that they are more focused on multiplayer games than Half-Life right now, because it makes more money.

They haven't made a new IP since 1998. They haven't released anything Half-Life related in nearly seven years, which is all the more pathetic when you consider that since 2006, Half-Life has been delivered as episodic content. Still no info on Episode 3, though. They're challenging Duke Nukem Forever as vaporware king.

They have been living off of Half-Life's legacy, and other people's ideas. That is the definition of creatively bankrupt.

And really, don't presume to know how old I am, how many games I've played, or how much knowledge about video games I have. You know nothing about me. It makes you look like a fool.

uninspiredcup

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#43  Edited By uninspiredcup  Online

Sonny. cba reading. Valve won, so it's really just a waste of my important time to tittketattke nonsense.

DarkLink77

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#44 DarkLink77

@uninspiredcup said:

Sonny. cba reading. Valve won, so it's really just a waste of my important time to tittketattke nonsense.

Read: I have no argument, so I'll pretend like I'm doing something important.

Cool, brah. Have fun with that.

shadiezz2012

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#45 shadiezz2012

@DarkLink77 said:

@uninspiredcup said:

Read: I have no argument, so I'll pretend like I'm doing something important.

Cool, brah. Have fun with that.

you really wasting your time with this "older gamer"

is he one of the reasons why this place sucks now ?!

uninspiredcup

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#46 uninspiredcup  Online

It's true.

DarkLink77

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#47  Edited By DarkLink77

@uninspiredcup said:

It's true.

Great. No one here cares.

uninspiredcup

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#48  Edited By uninspiredcup  Online

@DarkLink77 said:

@uninspiredcup said:

It's true.

But you gave me an angry paragraph after being proven factually wrong. The care is deeply engrained my friend. Deeply.

The more concerning aspect here, you continue to be wrong, even after forcing me to read this nonsense. It's troubling, to say the least. Is this really what constitutes as logic as to the young people these days?

CrashNBurn281

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 5

#49 CrashNBurn281
Member since 2014 • 1574 Posts

As much as I detest blind biased, had to give it to Valve. Valve has had more impact on the video game market by far.

Your poll setup is an absolute joke.

DarkLink77

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#50 DarkLink77

@uninspiredcup said:

@DarkLink77 said:

@uninspiredcup said:

It's true.

But you gave me an angry paragraph after being proven factually wrong. The care is deeply engrained my friend. Deeply.

1. You should probably learn how to spell ingrained properly.

2. That's not an angry paragraph, bro. I'm not swearing, typing in caps, or anything of that fashion, so I don't know how you got there. It must be because I told you not to make assumptions that make you look like a fool. You looking like a fool =/= me being angry. Sorry.

3. You didn't prove anything. All you said was that the original Half-Life is important and influential, a statement that no one here has disagreed with. So yeah, Valve sure was creative one time, almost two decades ago. Congrats. What a point. Kind of sad that you have to reach back that far, especially when the company no longer values that type of design, though.