3DS - a generation behind Vita.

This topic is locked from further discussion.

BigBoss255

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

#1 BigBoss255
Member since 2010 • 3539 Posts

I played Vita for the first time yesterday and it really made me realise how much better the 3DS could have been.

- Lack of Dual Analogue

- Using a stylus for the touch screen, really?.

- No background downloads.

- I'm pretty sure RE Revelations and Snake Eater are the only 3DS demos in a year, Vita already has about 10.

- No flash on web browser

- Graphics better than DS but not close to Vita

Yes these are small things but just look at the touch screen, iPhone had a better one 5 years ago. It just seems like Ninty are so out of date with hardware and software. I know it all comes down to games but I can't help but wonder how Nintendo can be so out of touch and yet sell so many units. I'm just hoping I won't be saying the same for the Wii U because I can honestly see Nintendo failing to intergrate things that we take for granted on PS3/360.

MonsieurX

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#2 MonsieurX
Member since 2008 • 39858 Posts
And yet,it still sell massively Problem?
finalstar2007

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 9

#3 finalstar2007
Member since 2008 • 27952 Posts

Nintendo is always a generation behind nothing new

SuperFlakeman

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#4 SuperFlakeman
Member since 2011 • 7411 Posts

3DS is good, Vita is better.

3DS is still good.

Assassin_87

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

#5 Assassin_87
Member since 2004 • 2349 Posts

I played Vita for the first time yesterday and it really made me realise how much better the 3DS could have been.

- Lack of Dual Analogue

- I'm pretty sure RE Revelations and Snake Eater are the only 3DS demos in a year, Vita already has about 10.

Yes these are small things but just look at the touch screen, iPhone had a better one 5 years ago. It just seems like Ninty are so out of date with hardware and software. I know it all comes down to games but I can't help but wonder how Nintendo can be so out of touch and yet sell so many units. I'm just hoping I won't be saying the same for the Wii U because I can honestly see Nintendo failing to intergrate things that we take for granted on PS3/360.

BigBoss255

They've never been too good at playing the tech game. For Nintendo it's always been about their superior stable of core franchises in conjunction with a focus on quality control and smart marketing.

Avatar image for Nonstop-Madness
Nonstop-Madness

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 13

#6 Nonstop-Madness
Member since 2008 • 12333 Posts
The only problem I see with the 3DS is that its going to age really badly but it'll still do very well.
blackace

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

#7 blackace
Member since 2002 • 23576 Posts
[QUOTE="MonsieurX"]And yet,it still sell massively Problem?

Yeah, the 3DS isn't as powerful as the PSVita, but it still sells like crazy in Japan and U.S. PSVita hasn't sold that great anywhere. It launched with 600k sold in U.S. Europe and Korea combined. That's not that great.
ispeakfact

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#8 ispeakfact
Member since 2011 • 5317 Posts
Pretty amazing that it only had one analog control. Graphics are ok, but definitely a gen behind Vita. Sony domination continuation.
MLBknights58

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#9 MLBknights58
Member since 2006 • 5016 Posts

Cows am mad confirmed.

3DS dominating Vita.

Ravensmash

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#10 Ravensmash
Member since 2010 • 13862 Posts

finalstar2007

How long have you been gaming? As far as I'm aware the GC was pretty powerful and same with the N64 in comparison.

If anything, it's only been this gen that they've gone down a different strategy, to much success.

SW__Troll

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#11 SW__Troll
Member since 2011 • 1687 Posts

The most important feature you left off was

• More games to play than the Vita
MonsieurX

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#12 MonsieurX
Pretty amazing that it only had one analog control. Graphics are ok, but definitely a gen behind Vita. Sony domination continuation. ispeakfact
Sony dominiation? Have you seen the sales? :lol:
lbjkurono23

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

#13 lbjkurono23
Member since 2007 • 12544 Posts

Cows am mad confirmed.

3DS dominating Vita.

MLBknights58

And yet,it still sell massively Problem?MonsieurX

The sad state of sw...

@tc I don't see the point in this thread.

nintendoboy16

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 43

User Lists: 14

#14 nintendoboy16
Member since 2007 • 41561 Posts

finalstar2007

Uh, N64 (yes, it used carts, but still)? SNES? GameCube?

DRAGONPIECEZ

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#15 DRAGONPIECEZ
Member since 2007 • 1463 Posts

[QUOTE="finalstar2007"]

nintendoboy16

Uh, N64 (yes, it used carts, but still)? SNES? GameCube?

Lol little boy probably started gaming this gen. Even if he's a newbie gamer, he should brush up on his gaming history at the very least.
nameless12345

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#16 nameless12345
Member since 2010 • 15125 Posts

Technically yes, but I'm not so sure if game-wise too.

NamelessPlayer

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#17 NamelessPlayer
Member since 2004 • 7729 Posts
Let me take this on point by point. "Lack of Dual Analogue" I'll agree in that the Circle Pad Pro is one kludgy-as-hell peripheral, but the Vita has no real advantage when its analogs have half the throw and are generally just worse to use than the 3DS Circle Pads. "Using a stylus for the touch screen, really?" It's backwards-compatible with the original DS library, some of which require you to do things like write and draw. I'm pretty sure we're beyond fingerpainting at this point, and guess what? Resistive digitizers don't prevent you from using your fat fingers. Besides, what's the big deal about multi-touch anyway? Most gestures are used to do things that you could also do with buttons. "No background downloads." I wasn't aware that the Vita lacked this limitation, but to be honest, I don't expect real multi-tasking outside of PCs. Still, while it is a drawback, it's not a really bothersome one. "I'm pretty sure RE Revelations and Snake Eater are the only 3DS demos in a year, Vita already has about 10." I can't confirm or deny that. Still, isn't that more of an issue with the developers? "No flash on web browser" Most mobile devices don't have Flash anyway, at this rate. It's a disadvantage, but one that's hardly exclusive to the 3DS...and didn't I hear something about the Vita ditching Flash before? I guess that article was a lie. "Graphics better than DS but not close to Vita" No disputing that, though there's more to a game than just graphics. "Yes these are small things but just look at the touch screen, iPhone had a better one 5 years ago." How many times do I have to point out that precise stylus input as an option is important for writing, drawing, and so forth, which a lot of DS games have you doing? Aiming, too, like in Metroid Prime: Hunters and Kid Icarus: Uprising. Sure beats the hell out of using a second analog stick, especially if it's one of the Vita's. If anything, you should have brought up things like region locking for disadvantages.
Avatar image for APiranhaAteMyVa
APiranhaAteMyVa

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#18 APiranhaAteMyVa
Member since 2011 • 4160 Posts
The only problem I see with the 3DS is that its going to age really badly but it'll still do very well. Nonstop-Madness
Possibly, although as long as devs are wiling to create games for it, that shouldn't matter too much. The DS was pretty much a handheld N64 and yet that did perfectly fine, if devs continue with unique games and 2D games it shouldn't really matter too much. With the 720, PS4, PC and WiiU likely to be requiring even more resources than this gen, it might work well for the 3DS as devs can make cheaper games with smaller teams and take more risk (probably why the DS also got a lot of games and support).
ispeakfact

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#19 ispeakfact
Member since 2011 • 5317 Posts

Cows am mad confirmed.

3DS dominating Vita.

MLBknights58

Someone's jealous their folks won't buy them a Vita. :cool:

Ravensmash

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#20 Ravensmash
Member since 2010 • 13862 Posts

[QUOTE="MLBknights58"]

Cows am mad confirmed.

3DS dominating Vita.

ispeakfact

I think this seems to be the problem everywhere then, judging from the sales.

[spoiler] You left that pretty open :P [/spoiler]

vtbob88

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

#21 vtbob88
Member since 2007 • 638 Posts

You have some points that I can understand someone having an issue with...but why does it bother you so much that there is the option to use a stylus if you want to? I like having that option if I want it, and you don't have to. Its a touchscreen, you can use your fingers just like every other touchscreen.

Meinhard1

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#22 Meinhard1
Member since 2010 • 6790 Posts
I like the 3DS's graphics better than the Vita's because of the 3D. We've had PS3 quality graphics for years now and while it is cool to see it on a handheld (with an admittedly brilliant widescreen), the 3DS's 3D is a lot more novel and exciting. For me (I realize it's not this way for everyone) the 3D adds a lot more immersion than the extra pixels, graphical power, etc. I don't have problems using my thumb for the 3DS's screen, although I do agree that the touch screen could be better. Ninty has never been as state-of-the art as Sony. They tend to release fun, quirky devices rather than Sony's sexy, high tech machines. I agree with you most about the download / demo situation. They're very behind when it comes to pretty much anything online-related.
MonsieurX

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#23 MonsieurX

[QUOTE="MLBknights58"]

Cows am mad confirmed.

3DS dominating Vita.

ispeakfact

Somebody's sad that no one wants to buy a Vita8)
MLBknights58

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#24 MLBknights58
Member since 2006 • 5016 Posts

[QUOTE="MLBknights58"]

Cows am mad confirmed.

3DS dominating Vita.

ispeakfact

Yeah I was a few dollars short.I couldn't afford the Vita and the memory card I wanted. So instead I bought a 3DS and 3 games. :cool:

You know, those things the Vita doesn't have.

WllDan7

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 5

#25 WllDan7
Member since 2004 • 2581 Posts

finalstar2007
No. The handhelds are always the graphics of the last console gen but the consoles until wii were always on the level of the competition.
Zaibach

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

#26 Zaibach
Member since 2007 • 13466 Posts
Maybe half a gen :P
HarlockJC

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 6

#27 HarlockJC
Member since 2006 • 25546 Posts
Hmmmm...Sounds a lot like the gameboy vs the gamegear to me. We see who won that war
DeadMan1290

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 29

#29 DeadMan1290
Member since 2005 • 15752 Posts

And yet,it still sell massively Problem?MonsieurX

Just like the inferior Wii. Let this be a lesson.

nameless12345

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#30 nameless12345

Hmmmm...Sounds a lot like the gameboy vs the gamegear to me. We see who won that warHarlockJC

Or DS vs PSP, but the graphical difference isn't as huge as it was in those cases (where you had monochromatic 2D graphics against fully colored 2D graphics or pixelated 3D graphics against detailed and smooth 3D graphics).

vashkey

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 135

User Lists: 25

#31 vashkey
Member since 2005 • 33781 Posts

Who cares? It's a handheld. As the 3DS outsells Vita and gets more support from developers for it we'll see how happy Vita owners are that their hardware is a generation ahead when they get their PSP esque droughts and go six month stretches with nothing worth playing.

MFDOOM1983

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#32 MFDOOM1983
Member since 2010 • 8465 Posts

Hmmmm...Sounds a lot like the gameboy vs the gamegear to me. We see who won that warHarlockJC
Gamegear offered superior hardware, user experience and the same battery life as gameboy?:P

Eddie-Vedder

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#33 Eddie-Vedder
Member since 2003 • 7810 Posts

Lems and sheep are so delusional it's hilarious, you could give them a turd in a box and as long as it sold well they'd brag about it :lol: THey don't actually want quality products, they jsut want it to sell lool.

nameless12345

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#34 nameless12345

[QUOTE="HarlockJC"]Hmmmm...Sounds a lot like the gameboy vs the gamegear to me. We see who won that warMFDOOM1983

Gamegear offered superior hardware, user experience and the same battery life as gameboy?:P

Game Boy had far more games and costed less. It basically obliterated the Game Gear and Atari Lynx in sales.

mariokart97

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#35 mariokart97
Member since 2009 • 913 Posts

Seriously...The 3DS is currently selling more than the Vita...just accept it. You know it's threads like these that brings out my inner fanboy. When you try to diss a companies product, that I happen to enjoy, you make me fight back...Sorry.

Oh and when the Vita dies out quicker than the dreamcast, I'll laugh:)

OreoMilkshake

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 13

#36 OreoMilkshake
Member since 2009 • 12833 Posts
Where's the "Vita has no built-in memory, 3DS does."? Just curious. trollololol
nameless12345

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#37 nameless12345

Lems and sheep are so delusional it's hilarious, you could give them a turd in a box and as long as it sold well they'd brag about it :lol: THey don't actually want quality products, they jsut want it to sell lool.

Eddie-Vedder

But what if they like 3DS games over Vita games?

DeadMan1290

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#38 DeadMan1290

Seriously...The 3DS is currently selling more than the Vita...just accept it. You know it's threads like these that brings out my inner fanboy. When you try to diss a companies product, that I happen to enjoy, you make me fight back...Sorry.

mariokart97

That's not right.

p4s2p0

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#39 p4s2p0
Member since 2010 • 4167 Posts
[QUOTE="finalstar2007"]

WllDan7
No. The handhelds are always the graphics of the last console gen but the consoles until wii were always on the level of the competition.

Actually handhelds have been more than a gen behind before psp. Ds I would rate below n64. And N has been behind before wii, n64 only had 1 analog and gamecube lacked online. Though graphically the differences were smaller between the 3, xbox still won that gen. I played tony hawk on both and thought it looked better on xbox anyway.
mariokart97

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#41 mariokart97

[QUOTE="mariokart97"]

DeadMan1290

That's not right.

Honestly, if it doesn't die in 2 years...I'm guessing 3. Sony has never won a handheld war in games or sales. They should work on the friggin' PS3, that thing is a beast

MFDOOM1983

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#42 MFDOOM1983
Member since 2010 • 8465 Posts

[QUOTE="MFDOOM1983"]

[QUOTE="HarlockJC"]Hmmmm...Sounds a lot like the gameboy vs the gamegear to me. We see who won that warnameless12345

Game Boy had far more games and costed less. It basically obliterated the Game Gear and Atari Lynx in sales.

Yes, those are other factors but having 2x the amount of playtime over competitors was another big reason for GB's success. Not to mention needing 6 AA batteries for only 4 hours of playtime.:lol:

Looks like we did a bit of regressing. :P

PA_DUTCH

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

#43 PA_DUTCH
Member since 2008 • 908 Posts

[QUOTE="BigBoss255"]

- Lack of Dual Analogue

Assassin_87

They've never been too good at playing the tech game. For Nintendo it's always been about their superior stable of core franchises in conjunction with a focus on quality control and smart marketing.

This seems to sum it up well...
DeadMan1290

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#44 DeadMan1290

[QUOTE="DeadMan1290"]

[QUOTE="mariokart97"]

mariokart97

That's not right.

Honestly, if it doesn't die in 2 years...I'm guessing 3. Sony has never won a handheld war in games or sales. They should work on the friggin' PS3, that thing is a beast

3 years is long enough before we see a new handheld by SONY if you ask me. I agree that they should work on PS3 more, but this gen's almost over they're probably working on PS4...

nameless12345

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#45 nameless12345

[QUOTE="nameless12345"]

[QUOTE="MFDOOM1983"]Gamegear offered superior hardware, user experience and the same battery life as gameboy?:P

MFDOOM1983

Yes, those are other factors but having 2x the amount of playtime over competitors was another big reason for GB's success. Not to mention needing 6 AA batteries for only 4 hours of playtime.:lol:

Basically better graphics do *not* sell handhelds. Things like portability, battery duration and the selection of games are much more important. System and game prices play a big role too.

p4s2p0

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#46 p4s2p0

[QUOTE="DeadMan1290"]

[QUOTE="mariokart97"]

mariokart97

That's not right.

Psp did pretty well selling 70 million more than most home consoles and I didn't' have any trouble getting the system/games at launch like I did vita. Makes me think it's gonna do even better especially being harder to hack.
mariokart97

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#47 mariokart97

[QUOTE="mariokart97"]

[QUOTE="DeadMan1290"]

That's not right.

DeadMan1290

3 years is long enough before we see a new handheld by SONY if you ask me. I agree that they should work on PS3 more, but this gen's almost over they're probably working on PS4...

Yeah, they should go out with a bang. Something awesome that leaves a good taste in your mouth, rather than the more common slow decline of most consoles.

LordQuorthon

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#48 LordQuorthon
Member since 2008 • 5803 Posts

but I can't help but wonder how Nintendo can be so out of touch and yet sell so many units.

BigBoss255

When you outsell your competitors, you are not out of touch, they are.

This is something that absolutely anyone, even people with very low IQs, should be able to understand. I know this is System Wars, though, so...

p4s2p0

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#49 p4s2p0

[QUOTE="MFDOOM1983"]

[QUOTE="nameless12345"]

nameless12345

Basically better graphics do *not* sell handhelds. Things like portability, battery duration and the selection of games are much more important. System and game prices play a big role too.

Depends on what the person wants. Like before psp I never payed attention to handhelds they lacked the power for what I wanted.
Kaszilla

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#50 Kaszilla
Member since 2011 • 1841 Posts
[QUOTE="nameless12345"]

[QUOTE="MFDOOM1983"]Yes, those are other factors but having 2x the amount of playtime over competitors was another big reason for GB's success. Not to mention needing 6 AA batteries for only 4 hours of playtime.:lol:

p4s2p0

Depends on what the person wants. Like before psp I never payed attention to handhelds they lacked the power for what I wanted.

Technically speaking: -SNES> Genesis -N64> PS1 and saturn -Gamecube> PS2 Basically the ps3 is the only sony console that weren't technically inferior to the competition. Hear that cows?