Why am I supposed to hate DRM?

This topic is locked from further discussion.

Gelugon_baat

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 656

User Lists: 4

#151 Gelugon_baat
Member since 2003 • 24247 Posts

I misread your post, thought you were some kinda pro DRM poster.m25105

INDEED! That's what a person prone to knee-jerk responses would think.

Also, do read it again. I updated it to mention that even those who use pirated software would be affected by DRM too, albeit indirectly.

wis3boi

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

User Lists: 0

#152 wis3boi
Member since 2005 • 32507 Posts

[QUOTE="the_bi99man"]Alright. If that's how you feel. I just don't understand how it's any different. I install a game through steam. I hit "make desktop shortcut". I minimize steam to the taskbar. I launch game with desktop shortcut. Exactly like I always did in the years before steam.Gelugon_baat

Well, if you can put up with that, good for you.

To me, I will always keep in mind that there's some loader client which is sucking up resources in the background, which I have to tweak often to prevent it from running other processes automatically without my consent and which I have to update manually because I don't want automated notifications getting in my face whenever I am doing something else other than manually updating Steam and the games shackled to it.

if your pc is having a heart attack using up 50mb of RAM, there's bigger issues

Gelugon_baat

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#153 Gelugon_baat

You know how many seconds it takes for me to play a game I own on steam or origin? None. It literally takes less than a second to click on play.Brean24

Well, f*cking lucky you then.

Whenever I don't use Steam in offline mode, it spends time and bandwidth checking with the servers of Valve's regional Steam-hosting partners to verify the licenses that I purchased and the build number of the games before I can even play them.

Gelugon_baat

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#154 Gelugon_baat

if your pc is having a heart attack using up 50mb of RAM, there's bigger issueswis3boi

This is not about resource usage.

I knew of a time when games did not have to be played with an annoying client software. To me, that era was far more convenient than now, when loader clients are so pervasive.

Also, those few dozen MBs are still a few dozen too much to me, especially considering that computer games can be made to run without a loader client.

the_bi99man

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 7

#155 the_bi99man
Member since 2004 • 11465 Posts

[QUOTE="the_bi99man"]

[QUOTE="m25105"] This is just lol. You're missing the point so much that your counter is accusing people of something you have no clue if they actually do.

1. DRM affects legit customers.

2. Pirates aren't.

3. Legit customers complain about DRM.

There.

Brean24

It really is this simple. People who still act as apologists for DRM, even as publishers are turning away from the practice, seem to have developed some bizzare kind of stockholm syndrome. It's like they were kidnapped, and now their captors are saying, "our plan backfired, we're not getting any ransom money, so you're free to go, and we're just gonna slink away before the police show up", and they're sitting there, kicking and screaming, saying, "NO! don't let me go! I don't want to go back to my life and my family!"

Or maybe some people are too busy playing and enjoying video games and aren't thinking about DRM because it's not that big of a deal. Gamers playing games, I know what a ridiculous concept. You know how many seconds it takes for me to play a game I own on steam or origin? None. It literally takes less than a second to click on play.

I have no problem with Steam and Origin. I've said that countless times in this very thread. I don't consider them to be "DRM". When I'm talking about DRM, I'm talking about the stuff which  actually is  an inconvenience for the customer. Things like securom, always online requirements, limited installs, repeated activations, limited activations, de-activation requirements upon uninstall, loader programs that don't do anything else to make up for the inconvenience, etc. You may not consider those to be inconveniences, but millions of people do, and for perfectly legitimate reasons. And the point is, pirates don't ever have to deal with any of that.

FelipeInside

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

#156 FelipeInside
Member since 2003 • 28548 Posts

[QUOTE="Brean24"][QUOTE="the_bi99man"]

It really is this simple. People who still act as apologists for DRM, even as publishers are turning away from the practice, seem to have developed some bizzare kind of stockholm syndrome. It's like they were kidnapped, and now their captors are saying, "our plan backfired, we're not getting any ransom money, so you're free to go, and we're just gonna slink away before the police show up", and they're sitting there, kicking and screaming, saying, "NO! don't let me go! I don't want to go back to my life and my family!"

the_bi99man

Or maybe some people are too busy playing and enjoying video games and aren't thinking about DRM because it's not that big of a deal. Gamers playing games, I know what a ridiculous concept. You know how many seconds it takes for me to play a game I own on steam or origin? None. It literally takes less than a second to click on play.

I have no problem with Steam and Origin. I've said that countless times in this very thread. I don't consider them to be "DRM". When I'm talking about DRM, I'm talking about the stuff which  actually is  an inconvenience for the customer. Things like securom, always online requirements, limited installs, repeated activations, limited activations, de-activation requirements upon uninstall, loader programs that don't do anything else to make up for the inconvenience, etc. You may not consider those to be inconveniences, but millions of people do, and for perfectly legitimate reasons. And the point is, pirates don't ever have to deal with any of that.

But that's the thing. Steam and Origin ARE DRM. You might not consider them that but they are, plain and simple. For someone who has issues with the Internet, Steam may well be an "inconvenience for the customer" as u put it.
the_bi99man

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#157 the_bi99man

For someone who has issues with the Internet, Steam may well be an "inconvenience for the customer" as u put it.FelipeInside

Offline mode. It exists. It works flawlessly.

Unless the "inconvenience" being caused by your bad internet is that you can't dowload games, or play multiplayer. And if that's the inconvenience, it's not the DRM's fault. 

FelipeInside

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#158 FelipeInside

[QUOTE="FelipeInside"]For someone who has issues with the Internet, Steam may well be an "inconvenience for the customer" as u put it.the_bi99man

Unless the "inconvenience" being caused by your bad internet is that you can't dowload games, or play multiplayer. And if that's the inconvenience, it's not the DRM's fault. 

It exists, it doesn't work flawlessly as you think it does (how many games have u tried to play offline?) "And if that's the inconvenience, it's not the DRM's fault." I don't agree again sorry. If Steam didn't exist, you might not need a stable internet.
the_bi99man

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#159 the_bi99man

[QUOTE="the_bi99man"]

[QUOTE="FelipeInside"]For someone who has issues with the Internet, Steam may well be an "inconvenience for the customer" as u put it.FelipeInside

It exists, it doesn't work flawlessly as you think it does (how many games have u tried to play offline?) "And if that's the inconvenience, it's not the DRM's fault." I don't agree again sorry. If Steam didn't exist, you might not need a stable internet.

I've played every single non-multiplayer game I own in offline mode. Never had a single issue. In fact, I keep steam in offline mode, by default, and only let it connect when I want to shop, download a game, or play counterstrike. 

And yeah, if you want to play a multiplayer game, but you can't because your internet sucks, that's not the DRM's fault. It's a multiplayer game. It needs internet. 

If you're trying to download a game, but you can't because your internet sucks, that's not the DRM's fault. It's because you're trying to  download  a game. That needs internet. You can't expect to download a digitally distributed game without internet. Once it's installed, internet issues don't matter.

FelipeInside

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#160 FelipeInside

[QUOTE="FelipeInside"][QUOTE="the_bi99man"]

the_bi99man

I've played every single non-multiplayer game I own in offline mode. Never had a single issue. In fact, I keep steam in offline mode, by default, and only let it connect when I want to shop, download a game, or play counterstrike. 

And yeah, if you want to play a multiplayer game, but you can't because your internet sucks, that's not the DRM's fault. It's a multiplayer game. It needs internet. 

If you're trying to download a game, but you can't because your internet sucks, that's not the DRM's fault. It's because you're trying to  download  a game. That needs internet. You can't expect to download a digitally distributed game without internet. Once it's installed, internet issues don't matter.

Nope, it DOES matter.  Not always but most of the time.  Patches or Updates etc.  Some games these days you buy retail box and then it needs a 1GB update just to start.

the_bi99man

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#161 the_bi99man

[QUOTE="the_bi99man"]

[QUOTE="FelipeInside"] It exists, it doesn't work flawlessly as you think it does (how many games have u tried to play offline?) "And if that's the inconvenience, it's not the DRM's fault." I don't agree again sorry. If Steam didn't exist, you might not need a stable internet.FelipeInside

Nope, it DOES matter.  Not always but most of the time.  Patches or Updates etc.  Some games these days you buy retail box and then it needs a 1GB update just to start.

When that's the case, it's because the developer decided to put out a day one patch. It's not because of Steam. And if you literally don't have any internet connection at all, you're probably not gaming, or using steam. If you have a connection, but it's just not all that great, then you can probably handle downloading a patch. Maybe it'll take a while. If that's the case, then yeah, there's an inconvenience. A small one, which is, in my opinion, more than made up for by the other conveniences of having the game on steam. And yes, I've been in that exact situation myself, back when I lived in the dead center of Alaska, with an internet connection that was spotty as hell, and only gave me download speeds of like 200kb/s, at best. Needing to download a patch on day one was annoying, but I still enjoy the other conveniences of steam. And once the patch is done, and the game is ready to play, I just uncheck auto-update, and put steam in offline mode. A one time issue, never to be worried about again.

FelipeInside

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#162 FelipeInside

[QUOTE="FelipeInside"]

[QUOTE="the_bi99man"]

the_bi99man

When that's the case, it's because the developer decided to put out a day one patch. It's not because of Steam. And if you literally don't have any internet connection at all, you're probably not gaming, or using steam. If you have a connection, but it's just not all that great, then you can probably handle downloading a patch. Maybe it'll take a while. If that's the case, then yeah, there's an inconvenience. A small one, which is, in my opinion, more than made up for by the other conveniences of having the game on steam. And yes, I've been in that exact situation myself, back when I lived in the dead center of Alaska, with an internet connection that was spotty as hell, and only gave me download speeds of like 200kb/s, at best. Needing to download a patch on day one was annoying, but I still enjoy the other conveniences of steam. And once the patch is done, and the game is ready to play, I just uncheck auto-update, and put steam in offline mode. A one time issue, never to be worried about again.

Exactly. Again, I'm not saying Steam is bad...I use it nearly every day, but sadly it's a necessary evil with advantages, and at the end of the day, it's still another layer of DRM on top.
Avatar image for deactivated-6243ee9902175
deactivated-6243ee9902175

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#163 deactivated-6243ee9902175
Member since 2007 • 5847 Posts

I have the hatred for securom, activation based DRM, and always on because I've been burned by each before.

I bought Medieval 2: Kingdoms and it wouldn't work in my computer because securom messed with it. Tried the other computers and it worked fine, literally the only game that this ever happened with. After that I refused to buy anything with securom.

I accidently bought a game with activations (Assault on Dark Athena?) and ran out of activations because I installed and then upgraded my computer a few times (my paycheck being low forced me to doing periodic upgrades over the course of a few weeks). Now I suddently couldn't play my game and I had to email support begging for more activations so I could play the game I have SITTING ON MY HARD DRIVE. No more activation based games for me. Only goofed on Disciples Reincarnation, really should look into getting a refund on that one.

Diablo 3 looked good so I preordered it. What followed at launch was 3 long days of downtime and not being able to play the game because it was all serverside. No more always on games for me.

I want to buy a game and know that once its downloaded and installed that all I need to do is tweak settings and look for mods. Fighting with DRM is not my idea of fun, in fact its something I hate more then actual problems with the game because most of those I can fix myself.

FelipeInside

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#164 FelipeInside

I accidently bought a game with activations (Assault on Dark Athena?) and ran out of activations because I installed and then upgraded my computer a few times (my paycheck being low forced me to doing periodic upgrades over the course of a few weeks). Now I suddently couldn't play my game and I had to email support begging for more activations so I could play the game I have SITTING ON MY HARD DRIVE. No more activation based games for me. Only goofed on Disciples Reincarnation, really should look into getting a refund on that one.

Whiteblade999

Not defending DRM but in that case it was a weird situation where u were upgrading constantly inside a week, which doesn't happen often.

Best course of action would have been to uninstall the game and get the activation back first.

wis3boi

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#165 wis3boi

[QUOTE="the_bi99man"]

[QUOTE="FelipeInside"] It exists, it doesn't work flawlessly as you think it does (how many games have u tried to play offline?) "And if that's the inconvenience, it's not the DRM's fault." I don't agree again sorry. If Steam didn't exist, you might not need a stable internet.FelipeInside

steam options --> "keep this game updated" --> uncheck

Have fun

Gelugon_baat

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#166 Gelugon_baat

steam options --> "keep this game updated" --> uncheckwis3boi

It doesn't change the fact that some games have to be run via the loader client anyway.

the_bi99man

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#167 the_bi99man

[QUOTE="wis3boi"]steam options --> "keep this game updated" --> uncheckGelugon_baat

It doesn't change the fact that some games have to be run via the loader client anyway.

Yeah, but I really don't think very many people see that as as much of an inconvenience as you do.

Gelugon_baat

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#168 Gelugon_baat

Yeah, but I really don't think very many people see that as as much of an inconvenience as you do.the_bi99man

Now if only those who don't see that, such as wis3boi, would understand that people like me certainly do. Then, hopefully, they would lay off the cynical advice as well as realize that people like me don't want to use Steam more than they want to.

I, for one, certainly do not believe that with just some settings tweaks, Steam and the likes of it would be palatable to me.

FelipeInside

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#169 FelipeInside

[QUOTE="FelipeInside"]

[QUOTE="the_bi99man"]

wis3boi

Have fun

You did read the part where I said "just to start" right?
wis3boi

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#170 wis3boi

[QUOTE="wis3boi"]

[QUOTE="FelipeInside"]

FelipeInside

Have fun

because running certain games without critical updates is a bad idea

wis3boi

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#171 wis3boi

[QUOTE="the_bi99man"]Yeah, but I really don't think very many people see that as as much of an inconvenience as you do.Gelugon_baat

Now if only those who don't see that, such as wis3boi, would understand that people like me certainly do. Then, hopefully, they would lay off the cynical advice as well as realize that people like me don't want to use Steam more than they want to.

I, for one, certainly do not believe that with just some settings tweaks, Steam and the likes of it would be palatable to me.

I'm not that old fashioned and steam keeps my online community alive, of which I help with forums, voip, organizing events, etc.  Steam comes up automatically when windows boots for me, and launching a game is one click of my mouse away.  I'm sorry you find this frustrating and difficult

_SKatEDiRt_

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#172 _SKatEDiRt_
Member since 2007 • 3117 Posts

not every country has got good internet services . not having a good net connection shouldn't stop me from playing a game

AcidThunder

This x999999

FelipeInside

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#173 FelipeInside

[QUOTE="FelipeInside"][QUOTE="wis3boi"]

Have fun

wis3boi

You miss the point.... you basically CANNOT run it all since it needs that 1GB update or whatever to even start....even though I purchased the DVD and installed from it. Like another poster said, not everyone has internet or good internet.
wis3boi

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#174 wis3boi

[QUOTE="wis3boi"]

[QUOTE="FelipeInside"] You did read the part where I said "just to start" right?FelipeInside

You miss the point.... you basically CANNOT run it all since it needs that 1GB update or whatever to even start....even though I purchased the DVD and installed from it. Like another poster said, not everyone has internet or good internet.

I take my entire steam library with me on my laptop and external drive with my regularly on trips with zero internet accessand have no issues.  Obviously I can't load BF3, Diablo 3....regular other games? No problem. 

FelipeInside

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#175 FelipeInside

[QUOTE="FelipeInside"][QUOTE="wis3boi"]

wis3boi

I take my entire steam library with me on my laptop and external drive with my regularly on trips with zero internet accessand have no issues.  Obviously I can't load BF3, Diablo 3....regular other games? No problem. 

So you NEVER needed Internet to use Steam?
Gelugon_baat

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#176 Gelugon_baat

I'm sorry you find this frustrating and difficultwis3boi

One day, when Valve's current and very beneficent leadership is no longer around, you are going to rue the day you decided that every game of yours is to be played through Steam.

BLKR4330

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

#177 BLKR4330
Member since 2006 • 1698 Posts

[QUOTE="the_bi99man"]Yeah, but I really don't think very many people see that as as much of an inconvenience as you do.Gelugon_baat

i think i get where you're coming from. for me steam still has more advantages as disadvantages but i don't like where it seems to be going. the biggest issue for me is that steam isn't a simple loader client and store that it once was anymore. it's more and more like it's pretending to be facebook or something (status updates? seriously?). all this is fine for people who want that stuff but i just want to play a game every now and then and have no interest in all the rest but i have no way to turn it off, get the basic version or whatever. when it first launched it felt like unnecessary software being shoved down our throats, then it did a really good job of showing that it can offer benefits too and actually be a valuable service, but now that shoving down my throat feeling is starting to make a come-back. and it doesn't help that all publishers seem to be embracing this model of their own loader client.

wis3boi

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#178 wis3boi

[QUOTE="wis3boi"]

[QUOTE="FelipeInside"] You miss the point.... you basically CANNOT run it all since it needs that 1GB update or whatever to even start....even though I purchased the DVD and installed from it. Like another poster said, not everyone has internet or good internet.FelipeInside

So you NEVER needed Internet to use Steam?

Offline mode is there for that reason

SKaREO

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#179 SKaREO
Member since 2006 • 3161 Posts

[QUOTE="Gelugon_baat"]

[QUOTE="the_bi99man"]Yeah, but I really don't think very many people see that as as much of an inconvenience as you do.wis3boi

I'm not that old fashioned and steam keeps my online community alive, of which I help with forums, voip, organizing events, etc.  Steam comes up automatically when windows boots for me, and launching a game is one click of my mouse away.  I'm sorry you find this frustrating and difficult

You're not at all old fashioned. That would imply that you hate DRM and especially hate Steam and their ilk. Old fashioned gamers had Shareware and an abundance of single player adventures. Todays games are always online, always connected, almost all multiplayer, and DRM laden. Old fashioned gamers hate the industry of today. Secondly, you're a very condescending poster who always thinks they are right and obviously thinks they are much smarter than they are. I haven't read a single post on this board authored by you that was memorable or even worth reading.
wis3boi

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#180 wis3boi

Secondly, you're a very condescending poster who always thinks they are right and obviously thinks they are much smarter than they are. I haven't read a single post on this board authored by you that was memorable or even worth reading.SKaREO

oh that irony, so thick a knife couldn't cut it

Brean24

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#181 Brean24
Member since 2007 • 1659 Posts

[QUOTE="AcidThunder"]

not every country has got good internet services . not having a good net connection shouldn't stop me from playing a game

_SKatEDiRt_

This x999999

But most developed countries do have good internet services. A majority of people in the united states who actually game have a constant internet connection. Hundreds of millions in China have a constant internet connection. Millions in Japan, South Korea, United Kingdom, Germany, Spain and pretty much every single country that isn't a 3rd world country has decent internet services. Of course some places don't. When your in a country like Nigera in which literally over 90 percent live on less than 2 dollars a day(that's a fact, I'm not pulling that out of my ass) of course your going to see a reduction in modern infrastructure. You can't run a entire industry based on a small minority of gamers who either don't have internet or are old and don't like change. Edit: Don't take everything I say seriously if you want your sanity intact :P
Lost-to-Apathy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 5

#182 Lost-to-Apathy
Member since 2012 • 459 Posts
[QUOTE="_SKatEDiRt_"]

[QUOTE="AcidThunder"]

Brean24

This x999999

But most developed countries do have good internet services. A majority of people in the united states who actually game have a constant internet connection. Hundreds of millions in China have a constant internet connection. Millions in Japan, South Korea, United Kingdom, Germany, Spain and pretty much every single country that isn't a 3rd world country has decent internet services. Of course some places don't. When your in a country like Nigera in which literally over 90 percent live on less than 2 dollars a day(that's a fact, I'm not pulling that out of my ass) of course your going to see a reduction in modern infrastructure. You can't run a entire industry based on a small minority of gamers who either don't have internet or are old and don't like change. Edit: Don't take everything I say seriously if you want your sanity intact :P

Why should an always online connection ever be required for what is essentially a single player, offline experience? It doesn't make sense why anyone would support this idea. My internet connection never goes down. I still think it's stupid as hell to require a constant internet connection. For multiplayer, I totally understand. But why in the hell should it ever be mandatory for single player games?
FelipeInside

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#183 FelipeInside
[QUOTE="_SKatEDiRt_"]

[QUOTE="AcidThunder"]

Brean24

This x999999

I have a friend who earns more here in Australia (1st World Country) than you and me both put together. He has a million dollar mansion, 2 expensive cars...the works. Guess what, his internet is 3G USB Dongle cause broadband isn't available in his area..... Granted, Internet will spread more and more (he is waiting for the National Fibre Network to come through), but it's not there yet.
Junior_AIN

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 132

User Lists: 1

#184 Junior_AIN
Member since 2007 • 4703 Posts
Maybe because DRM exists and there are still day-one releases of its secure games pirated throughout the internet while people who paid for the game are having to keep constant internet connection, limited number of installation and other nonsense. If DRM had extinguished piracy from the face of this planet I would be the first to go ahead and found the DRM fanclub, but the reality is far from that, and only real customers pay the price, the pirates are out there, playing their games DRM free.
Brean24

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#185 Brean24
[QUOTE="Brean24"][QUOTE="_SKatEDiRt_"]

This x999999

Lost-to-Apathy

Why should an always online connection ever be required for what is essentially a single player, offline experience? It doesn't make sense why anyone would support this idea. My internet connection never goes down. I still think it's stupid as hell to require a constant internet connection. For multiplayer, I totally understand. But why in the hell should it ever be mandatory for single player games?

Because single player games often have multiplayer elements. Everything is connected by the internet. Your right. An always online connection for a truly offline single player game is stupid. But the reality is that offline single player games are on the decline. And by that I mean games like Demon Souls uses the internet to enhance the single player experience. Demon Souls and Dark Souls was just the start. It can be argued that blending single player and multiplayer is a bad idea, or even that rightfully so it reduces or eliminates player choice. But you can't argue that with the introduction of cloud-based services and social elements that a online-only experience is becoming increasingly justified. It may sound stupid to you, and that's okay, but people vote with their money. If they didn't like the way this industry is heading, their money isn't representing their opinions. The vocal minority is just that, a vocal minority. Honestly, I'm a part of that vocal minority. I believe that there should always be a offline option, but only if it makes sense. However at the same time I'm not going to let that keep me away from playing and enjoying the latest AAA and often awesome games. Yes internet is not caught up with the technology. But it will be, and it will be soon. You have countries like Australia that are spending billions of dollars in building infrastructure to increase internet coverage. Every single year millions of more people are connected to the internet.
Elann2008

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 17

#186 Elann2008
Member since 2007 • 33028 Posts
The "everything is connected to the internet, it has multiplayer so it should be always online" is a fabricated lie. That's what they wanted you to think. For a long time, it didn't have to be this way, but publishers and developers made it clear they feel this is the only way to combat pirates and in turn "it should" result in more sales. In actuality, it doesn't work that way and they are hurting CUSTOMERS at the price of a one-set minded and egocentric publisher/developer.
wis3boi

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#187 wis3boi

[QUOTE="Lost-to-Apathy"][QUOTE="Brean24"] But most developed countries do have good internet services. A majority of people in the united states who actually game have a constant internet connection. Hundreds of millions in China have a constant internet connection. Millions in Japan, South Korea, United Kingdom, Germany, Spain and pretty much every single country that isn't a 3rd world country has decent internet services. Of course some places don't. When your in a country like Nigera in which literally over 90 percent live on less than 2 dollars a day(that's a fact, I'm not pulling that out of my ass) of course your going to see a reduction in modern infrastructure. You can't run a entire industry based on a small minority of gamers who either don't have internet or are old and don't like change. Edit: Don't take everything I say seriously if you want your sanity intact :PBrean24

Because single player games often have multiplayer elements. Everything is connected by the internet. Your right. An always online connection for a truly offline single player game is stupid. But the reality is that offline single player games are on the decline. And by that I mean games like Demon Souls uses the internet to enhance the single player experience. Demon Souls and Dark Souls was just the start. It can be argued that blending single player and multiplayer is a bad idea, or even that rightfully so it reduces or eliminates player choice. But you can't argue that with the introduction of cloud-based services and social elements that a online-only experience is becoming increasingly justified. It may sound stupid to you, and that's okay, but people vote with their money. If they didn't like the way this industry is heading, their money isn't representing their opinions. The vocal minority is just that, a vocal minority. Honestly, I'm a part of that vocal minority. I believe that there should always be a offline option, but only if it makes sense. However at the same time I'm not going to let that keep me away from playing and enjoying the latest AAA and often awesome games. Yes internet is not caught up with the technology. But it will be, and it will be soon. You have countries like Australia that are spending billions of dollars in building infrastructure to increase internet coverage. Every single year millions of more people are connected to the internet.

Just because a game has multiplayer experience, does not mean it should always require an internet connection to boot up.  I should be able to play diablo 3 without internet access when I'm away, but alas, silly decisions say NOPE CANT DO THAT

Elann2008

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 17

#188 Elann2008
Member since 2007 • 33028 Posts

^Yup. I'm glad someone on this forum has a brain. Seriously, only fools are easily brainwashed by publisher's excuses to slap nasty DRM on their products and come up with illogical reasons why it must have DRM.

Same could be said with DLC. First, it was the "we couldn't finish the game the way we wanted so we had to cut content out" and then later sell that "said" content as DLC for $5-20 or whatever the price it may be.  Why not release it to customers who paid $ for it, as added DLC later but free.  Because, it's not like we didn't pay $60 for the game... It's ridiculous how quickly people have forgotten about content being sold as DLC was found on the core game disc.

Lost-to-Apathy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#189 Lost-to-Apathy

[QUOTE="Lost-to-Apathy"][QUOTE="Brean24"] But most developed countries do have good internet services. A majority of people in the united states who actually game have a constant internet connection. Hundreds of millions in China have a constant internet connection. Millions in Japan, South Korea, United Kingdom, Germany, Spain and pretty much every single country that isn't a 3rd world country has decent internet services. Of course some places don't. When your in a country like Nigera in which literally over 90 percent live on less than 2 dollars a day(that's a fact, I'm not pulling that out of my ass) of course your going to see a reduction in modern infrastructure. You can't run a entire industry based on a small minority of gamers who either don't have internet or are old and don't like change. Edit: Don't take everything I say seriously if you want your sanity intact :PBrean24

Why should that multiplayer element be required? I certainly did not use it when I played Demon's Souls and Dragon's Dogma. Give me one good reason why I should be forced to use such a feature for a single player game?

You know what? Don't bother. You have no good reason. You're a dolt.

Brean24

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#190 Brean24

[QUOTE="Brean24"][QUOTE="Lost-to-Apathy"] Why should an always online connection ever be required for what is essentially a single player, offline experience? It doesn't make sense why anyone would support this idea. My internet connection never goes down. I still think it's stupid as hell to require a constant internet connection. For multiplayer, I totally understand. But why in the hell should it ever be mandatory for single player games? Lost-to-Apathy

Why should that multiplayer element be required? I certainly did not use it when I played Demon's Souls and Dragon's Dogma. Give me one good reason why I should be forced to use such a feature for a single player game?

Do you know why offline single player games are on the decline? It's because people like you treat everyone who doesn't agree with you like a idiot. It has nothing to do with big evil corporations wanting your soul and everything to do with acting like a spoiled child. Your cause is doomed because you refuse to act like a intelligent adult and actually treat the other side with respect. You aren't forced to do anything. You don't have to buy the game. It's your choice. If the vocal minority was as outspoken with their wallets as they were with their words DRM wouldn't be as widespread.
Avatar image for deactivated-5ef52b89b6fd0
deactivated-5ef52b89b6fd0

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#191 deactivated-5ef52b89b6fd0
Member since 2009 • 4928 Posts
What's the alternative then? For the developers to do nothing, just don't even bother to try and stop piracy at all? Drm has not been a issue for me, but I can see how it can be annoying, but I bet having your game pirated a million times is even worse. They keep trying new things, till they find one that works or people stop stealing games, we just have to deal with it, stop crying like whiny brats.
Lost-to-Apathy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#192 Lost-to-Apathy

[QUOTE="Lost-to-Apathy"]

[QUOTE="Brean24"] Because single player games often have multiplayer elements. Everything is connected by the internet. Your right. An always online connection for a truly offline single player game is stupid. But the reality is that offline single player games are on the decline. And by that I mean games like Demon Souls uses the internet to enhance the single player experience. Demon Souls and Dark Souls was just the start. It can be argued that blending single player and multiplayer is a bad idea, or even that rightfully so it reduces or eliminates player choice. But you can't argue that with the introduction of cloud-based services and social elements that a online-only experience is becoming increasingly justified. It may sound stupid to you, and that's okay, but people vote with their money. If they didn't like the way this industry is heading, their money isn't representing their opinions. The vocal minority is just that, a vocal minority. Honestly, I'm a part of that vocal minority. I believe that there should always be a offline option, but only if it makes sense. However at the same time I'm not going to let that keep me away from playing and enjoying the latest AAA and often awesome games. Yes internet is not caught up with the technology. But it will be, and it will be soon. You have countries like Australia that are spending billions of dollars in building infrastructure to increase internet coverage. Every single year millions of more people are connected to the internet. Brean24

Do you know why offline single player games are on the decline? It's because people like you treat everyone who doesn't agree with you like a idiot. It has nothing to do with big evil corporations wanting your soul and everything to do with acting like a spoiled child. Your cause is doomed because you refuse to act like a intelligent adult and actually treat the other side with respect. You aren't forced to do anything. You don't have to buy the game. It's your choice. If the vocal minority was as outspoken with their wallets as they were with their words DRM wouldn't be as widespread.

I have never bought a game that requires an always online connection. But why alienate a large group of people with something that is not necessary? You're the one being selfish. What's wrong with having a choice? If you want to be constantly connected to the internet while playing a single player game because of some crummy multiplayer feature, the option is there for you. Why do you want this to be mandatory for everyone else? Why do you want it to be forced on everyone else? I don't like it, and I'm sure many people agree with me on this. Requiring a constant internet connection in a single player game is idiotic. I don't care if the internet is flawless and every single person on the Earth has internet. Always online is about control, and the multiplayer features are secondary.

Cyrez60659

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#193 Cyrez60659
Member since 2009 • 183 Posts
DRM isn't just designed to stop piracy. It's also designed to combat second hand game sales (sales which the developers & publishers never see a penny of).
m25105

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#194 m25105
Member since 2010 • 3135 Posts
DRM isn't just designed to stop piracy. It's also designed to combat second hand game sales (sales which the developers & publishers never see a penny of).Cyrez60659
Nor should they, if I sell my Opel should I have to pay Opel a percentage, or should Opel make some kind weird contraption that imprints my thumbprint or whatever, so when I don't need the car I can't sell it to anyone?
m25105

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#195 m25105

What's the alternative then? For the developers to do nothing, just don't even bother to try and stop piracy at all? Drm has not been a issue for me, but I can see how it can be annoying, but I bet having your game pirated a million times is even worse. They keep trying new things, till they find one that works or people stop stealing games, we just have to deal with it, stop crying like whiny brats.Advid-Gamer

Dear God, you just don't get it, do you?

Company spends millions on DRM to combat piracy, pirates crack it usually before the game is even out, money down the drain, legit consumers have to deal with the at times very intrusive DRM, pirates laugh their asses off and continues to play.

If you make a good game people will buy it, that's been proven over and over again. Quality is the best way to prevent lost sales to piracy.

Brean24

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#196 Brean24

[QUOTE="Advid-Gamer"]What's the alternative then? For the developers to do nothing, just don't even bother to try and stop piracy at all? Drm has not been a issue for me, but I can see how it can be annoying, but I bet having your game pirated a million times is even worse. They keep trying new things, till they find one that works or people stop stealing games, we just have to deal with it, stop crying like whiny brats.m25105

Company spends millions on DRM to combat piracy, pirates crack it usually before the game is even out, money down the drain, legit consumers have to deal with the at times very intrusive DRM, pirates laugh their asses off and continues to play.

If you make a good game people will buy it, that's been proven over and over again. Quality is the best way to prevent lost sales to piracy.

That's not true though. World of Goo which had no DRM was pirated to death. About 90 percent of players had pirated the game. Witcher 2 was pirated over 4 million times and this includes the DRM-Free version, not to mention that fact that Witcher 2 never had much DRM to begin with. So your argument is invalid. Quality is not the best way to prevent lost sales. The only method that has actually worked is online-only DRM which while not perfect, is hell of a lot more effective than doing nothing at all. Look at Diablo 3. Look at SimCity. Look at every single MMO ever made ever in the history of gaming. And your assuming that everyone has a problem with DRM. I promise you that I am not the only one that has not had major issues with DRM. You also have to realize that games like Darkspore truly are online single player games. Darkspore was online only because that's how it was designed. Sure like SimCity hackers found a way to play offline, but that was never fully explored and like SimCity a offline mode was never successfully developed on anything more than a alpha level.
m25105

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#197 m25105

[QUOTE="m25105"]

[QUOTE="Advid-Gamer"]What's the alternative then? For the developers to do nothing, just don't even bother to try and stop piracy at all? Drm has not been a issue for me, but I can see how it can be annoying, but I bet having your game pirated a million times is even worse. They keep trying new things, till they find one that works or people stop stealing games, we just have to deal with it, stop crying like whiny brats.Brean24

That's not true though. World of Goo which had no DRM was pirated to death. About 90 percent of players had pirated the game. Witcher 2 was pirated over 4 million times and this includes the DRM-Free version, not to mention that fact that Witcher 2 never had much DRM to begin with. So your argument is invalid. Quality is not the best way to prevent lost sales. The only method that has actually worked is online-only DRM which while not perfect, is hell of a lot more effective than doing nothing at all. Look at Diablo 3. Look at SimCity. Look at every single MMO ever made ever in the history of gaming. And your assuming that everyone has a problem with DRM. I promise you that I am not the only one that has not had major issues with DRM. You also have to realize that games like Darkspore truly are online single player games. Darkspore was online only because that's how it was designed. Sure like SimCity hackers found a way to play offline, but that was never fully explored and like SimCity a offline mode was never successfully developed on anything more than a alpha level.

1st. Just to make it clear (even though you didn't wrote it) I don't condone piracy, I think it's pretty low to pirate a game. Especially indie games like the ones you just wrote about. 2nd, I have pirated and probably will pirate old games that I once had the cd for. However because of gog.com most of those games have since been bought. The only two games I have now that I pirated are Warhammer: Shadow of the Horned Rat (a game from 1995), The Curse of Monkey Island (a game from 1998) and Discworld: Noir (a game from 1999) note that back then I bought the games legally, but have since lost the CD.

Now back to the issue of DRM, Spore is probably one of the best examples of why DRM doesn't work. It was one of the most intrusive DRM in gaming for thost that bought the game legally, but it was also one of the most pirated games, showing why DRM doesn't work.

Now about the Witcher 2, there's an article from the developers of the Witcher 2 that explains why they still don't believe DRM is the way to go, despite the piracy rate. Source.

Had the Witcher 2 been a bad game, it wouldn't have made the numbers it did, in terms of copies sold. But it did, so that means while it was pirated, it could've been much much worse. You can't stop people from pirating if they choose to do so, but by making quality games, you can at least get more people to buy it legally. And World of Goo also made a decent profit, despite the high piracy rate (seriously Pirates... why? It's not like it was a super expensive game in the first place. Take advantage of steam deals for crying out loud). Still, the developers of World of Goo had this to say

by the way, just in case its not 100% clear, were not angry about piracy, we still think that DRM is a waste of time and money, we dont think that were losing sales due to piracy, and we have no intention of trying to fight it.

the number was 82%

About the always online, I didn't buy SimCity and I stopped playing Diablo 3 cause it was a dissapointment, but I doubt it was cause of Piracy that Diablo 3 had an always online feature, it seems more like they added it cause of their real money AH. Assassin's Creed 2 had an always online feature, but that got cracked real fast.

Avatar image for deactivated-5ef52b89b6fd0
deactivated-5ef52b89b6fd0

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#198 deactivated-5ef52b89b6fd0
Member since 2009 • 4928 Posts

[QUOTE="Advid-Gamer"]What's the alternative then? For the developers to do nothing, just don't even bother to try and stop piracy at all? Drm has not been a issue for me, but I can see how it can be annoying, but I bet having your game pirated a million times is even worse. They keep trying new things, till they find one that works or people stop stealing games, we just have to deal with it, stop crying like whiny brats.m25105

Dear god, oh I get it, I understand all the BS that goes on here.
Miroku32

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 43

#200 Miroku32
Member since 2006 • 8666 Posts
[QUOTE="Advid-Gamer"] Dear god, oh I get it, I understand all the BS that goes on here.

I just don't understand how people can defend DRM.