Why am I supposed to hate DRM?

This topic is locked from further discussion.

buccomatic

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

User Lists: 0

#51 buccomatic
Member since 2005 • 1941 Posts

If it's done right (aka Steam) it's fine.  If it's done bad, aka Sim City and SecuROM, it's fvcking terrible.   My boxed copy of GTA IV came with SecuROM and when I got a new PC a few years ago, I went to reinstall GTA and it thought I prated the game, making Niko permanently drunk and making every car I got into explode.  I couldn't fix it for months and got a steam copy for $5 that doesn't have this draconian DRM in it.  Online only shit like SimCity and Diablo 3 is just asinine beyond words.

wis3boi
"I went to reinstall GTA and it thought I prated the game, making Niko permanently drunk and making every car I got into explode." lol
PernicioEnigma

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

#52 PernicioEnigma
Member since 2010 • 6662 Posts
Not all DRM is bad. It's just the DRM that prohibits you from doing things you should be able to do that you should hate.
Rage010101

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#53 Rage010101
Member since 2006 • 5470 Posts

Dunno, but I personally love steam.

Most people who hate DRM are pirates, people with poor connection, people with no connection, and/or people who want to fill this need to feel like they "own" their game.

bonafidetk

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

#54 bonafidetk
Member since 2004 • 3911 Posts
Quite often the DRM punishes legitimate players rather than the pirates. Which is completely backwards.
Pedro

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 72

#55 Pedro
Member since 2002 • 69483 Posts

Most people who hate DRM are pirates, people with poor connection, people with no connection, and/or people who want to fill this need to feel like they "own" their game.

Rage010101

Its pretty simple, I don't want to be hinder in the slightest for products I purchased while pirates pay NOTHING and are not hindered with the obstacles of DRM.

Rage010101

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#56 Rage010101

[QUOTE="Rage010101"]

Pedro

Its pretty simple, I don't want to be hinder in the slightest for products I purchased while pirates pay NOTHING and are not hindered with the obstacles of DRM.

I don't feel hindered in the slightest.

What makes you feel hindered?

wis3boi

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#57 wis3boi
Member since 2005 • 32507 Posts

Rage010101

steam is good because it's an actual service.  A place to buy games, connect with a huge portion of the pc community, share content like mods, pics, and videos, create community events, etc.  I think it's an acceptable DRM, especially since you can use it offline

Rage010101

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#58 Rage010101

[QUOTE="Rage010101"]

wis3boi

steam is good because it's an actual service.  A place to buy games, connect with a huge portion of the pc community, share content like mods, pics, and videos, create community events, etc.  I think it's an acceptable DRM, especially since you can use it offline

Ya.  When I think DRM, I think Steam.  DRM done right.  I dunno if those in this read who are anti DRM are also anti Steam.

There are horrible DRM's, that I can agree with.  I especially hate the kind where they give you a limited amount of activation for a certain game, and I dislike GFWL.

So I guess maybe I'm neutral to DRM?  I dunno, I love steam, but dislike certain DRM's.

Point is, I don't hate DRM entirely like some posters in here seem to.

AcidThunder

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#59 AcidThunder
Member since 2010 • 2332 Posts

not every country has got good internet services . not having a good net connection shouldn't stop me from playing a game

Nibroc420

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#60 Nibroc420
Member since 2007 • 13571 Posts

because harder to pirateJigglyWiggly_

I've been hearing the complete opposite.
Plus there's some sort of competition in the warez community something along the lines of

images?q=tbn:ANd9GcSTP9_JuvYvwvnZe35nORp

Brean24

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#61 Brean24
Member since 2007 • 1659 Posts
[QUOTE="madrocketeer"]DRM isn't evil, it's just a minor annoyance at best and major hindrance to playing PC games at worst. In practical terms, the most universal difference between DRM-free games and games with DRM is portability. That is, when I download a DRM-free game from GOG.com on my laptop, I can just save it on a USB flash drive, take it to my normally offline gaming PC, and install it right then and there; no internet connection and no fuss required. For disc checks, it's a little more complicated; to save weight on my new BitFenix Prodigy, I decided to forego on an internal drive and make do with a USB one, since I noticed that I hardly ever used my old PC's internal drive anyway. For Steam games, things start to get tricky; I used to download them to my laptop, back them up, move them into my portable hard drives, then install them when I have to lug my old big and heavy Thermaltake A30 down for updates, switching to Offline Mode before taking it back upstairs. These days I can bring my BitFenix Prodigy downstairs without murdering my arms, so I don't do that any more. Single online activations? I have to bring my USB DVD drive and the game disc with me. Even more annoying are games with online clients that don't have backup features (Origin and UPlay). If I ever have to reinstall the disc version of the latest Need For Speed: Most Wanted, for example, I can look forward to sitting through a 4.7 GB download just to play the damn thing. And of course, for games with internet dog leash DRMs (SimCity, Diablo III, Assassin's Creed 2), I can't play them at all. And that's my main gripe with DRM in general: they're so inconsistent, with wildly varying amounts of efforts given into streamlining the consumer experience and bugtesting. Added to that the horror stories like older versions of StarForce ruining your optical drives, and SecuROM taking forever to start your games, downgrading your PC's performance, and continuing to run in the background after you terminated the game and preventing you from running certain other software, and you begin see that PC gamers have a long and tortured history with DRM solutions, a history which have left us jaded and mistrustful.

I'm sorry but your making it a lot more complicated than it needs to be. Like seriously. Just have internet on your gaming PC. Problem solved.
FelipeInside

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#62 FelipeInside
Member since 2003 • 28548 Posts

[QUOTE="Rage010101"]

wis3boi

Origin is exactly the same and works better than Steam (just doesn't have offline mode) yet it gets bagged to kingdom come for it's DRM? I think people are just in love with Gabe, lol....
Rage010101

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#63 Rage010101

[QUOTE="wis3boi"]

[QUOTE="Rage010101"]

FelipeInside

Origin is exactly the same and works better than Steam (just doesn't have offline mode) yet it gets bagged to kingdom come for it's DRM? I think people are just in love with Gabe, lol....

lol no

lostrib

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#64 lostrib
Member since 2009 • 49999 Posts

[QUOTE="wis3boi"]

[QUOTE="Rage010101"]

FelipeInside

how is origin exactly the same?

Treflis

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#65 Treflis
Member since 2004 • 13757 Posts

Because for the most part, they are always bypassed by hackers so in the end it punishes those that have legitimate bought the game rather then those that Pirate it.

Steam is tolerable as far as I'm concerned because you can play your games in Offline mode should you loose connection for long periods of time. CD-Keys I'm fine with.

Limited Installs, now we're not on the same wave length and "Always online", now there's a big gap between us.

-wildflower-

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#66 -wildflower-
Member since 2003 • 2997 Posts

....and/or people who want to fill this need to feel like they "own" their game.

Rage010101

No kidding, right?  Stupid people thinking they actually own something they paid for.  What's up with that?

Brean24

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#67 Brean24
Member since 2007 • 1659 Posts

[QUOTE="Rage010101"]

....and/or people who want to fill this need to feel like they "own" their game.

-wildflower-

No kidding, right?  Stupid people thinking they actually own something they paid for.  What's up with that?

Right? I mean how dare people want to play the game they just spent money on... oh wait they actually can. I mean come on you guys are arguing sematics. Yes technically speaking the games I own on steam aren't actually mine, they are simply licenses, but there is literally no difference. I can still play games I bought 5 years ago. And there are actually advantages to this model. Because of the way digital games work eventually I will be able to sell my digital games just like people sell used console games. The technology and the law is there.
lostrib

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#68 lostrib

[QUOTE="-wildflower-"]

[QUOTE="Rage010101"]

Brean24

Right? I mean how dare people want to play the game they just spent money on... oh wait they actually can. I mean come on you guys are arguing sematics. Yes technically speaking the games I own are steam aren't actually mine, they are simply licenses, but there is literally no difference. I can still play games I bought 5 years ago.

Unless that game was Diablo 3 and Simcity on launch day when the always online DRM prevented many users from playing.  

the_bi99man

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 7

#69 the_bi99man
Member since 2004 • 11465 Posts

[QUOTE="wis3boi"]

[QUOTE="Rage010101"]

Rage010101

Ya.  When I think DRM, I think Steam.  DRM done right.  I dunno if those in this read who are anti DRM are also anti Steam.

There are horrible DRM's, that I can agree with.  I especially hate the kind where they give you a limited amount of activation for a certain game, and I dislike GFWL.

So I guess maybe I'm neutral to DRM?  I dunno, I love steam, but dislike certain DRM's.

See, that's the thing. I  don't  think of Steam as DRM. I think of Steam as a store, a storage method, a service, and a convenience, because of all the great things it does. The fact that it also doubles as a kind of extremely light DRM is just gravy for the publishers, I guess. Gives them something to feel good about. When I say I'm against DRM, I'm talking about Securom, always-online requirements for games that aren't MMOs, GFWL, limited numbers of allowed installs, and other separate programs, which don't provide any service, and often times actually slow down your computer, and cause security risks from needless connectivity (such as Uplay).

Rage010101

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#70 Rage010101

[QUOTE="-wildflower-"]

[QUOTE="Rage010101"]

Brean24

Right? I mean how dare people want to play the game they just spent money on... oh wait they actually can. I mean come on you guys are arguing sematics. Yes technically speaking the games I own on steam aren't actually mine, they are simply licenses, but there is literally no difference. I can still play games I bought 5 years ago. And there are actually advantages to this model. Because of the way digital games work eventually I will be able to sell my digital games just like people sell used console games. The technology and the law is there.

^ This

Rage010101

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#71 Rage010101

[QUOTE="Rage010101"]

[QUOTE="wis3boi"]

the_bi99man

See, that's the thing. I  don't  think of Steam as DRM. I think of Steam as a store, a storage method, a service, and a convenience, because of all the great things it does. The fact that it also doubles as a kind of extremely light DRM is just gravy for the publishers, I guess. Gives them something to feel good about. When I say I'm against DRM, I'm talking about Securom, always-online requirements for games that aren't MMOs, GFWL, limited numbers of allowed installs, and other separate programs, which don't provide any service, and often times actually slow down your computer, and cause security risks from needless connectivity (such as Uplay).

Ya, I can agree with that type of bad DRM.

ampiva

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 12

#72 ampiva
Member since 2010 • 1251 Posts
[QUOTE="-wildflower-"]

[QUOTE="Rage010101"]

Brean24

What about when Steam shuts down? What about when your internet is down for some reason? What if you want take your laptop to travel and play a few games?
lostrib

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#73 lostrib

[QUOTE="Brean24"][QUOTE="-wildflower-"]

ampiva

What about when Steam shuts down? What about when your internet is down for some reason? What if you want take your laptop to travel and play a few games?

offline mode?

FelipeInside

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#74 FelipeInside

[QUOTE="FelipeInside"][QUOTE="wis3boi"]

Rage010101

lol no

lol yes. It's an online DRM, you can buy games off there, the games auto update themselves (better than Steam may I add), and Origin even is faster and more stable than Steam. Like I said, apart from some missing features that Steam has, there is no difference....except of course how people perceive each. (why I said people are in love with Gabe).
the_bi99man

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#75 the_bi99man

[QUOTE="Brean24"][QUOTE="-wildflower-"]

ampiva

Why do people still not realize that offline mode exists?

Seriously, someone implies that steam is an always online requirement for all their games, every single day, when the topic is brought up. 

Go to the "steam" menu at the top. Select "go offline". Now you're not connected, and you have full access to every single one of your games, unless they have their own, separate online requirement for whatever reason. 

If your internet goes down without you expecting it, just launch steam. It'll say "can't connect to servers. Would you like to start offline mode?". You hit "yes". You're in offline mode. 

It really is that simple.

lostrib

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#76 lostrib

[QUOTE="Rage010101"]

[QUOTE="FelipeInside"] Origin is exactly the same and works better than Steam (just doesn't have offline mode) yet it gets bagged to kingdom come for it's DRM? I think people are just in love with Gabe, lol....FelipeInside

lol no

lol yes. It's an online DRM, you can buy games off there, the games auto update themselves (better than Steam may I add), and Origin even is faster and more stable than Steam. Like I said, apart from some missing features that Steam has, there is no difference....except of course how people perceive each. (why I said people are in love with Gabe).

How does it auto update better than steam? they both just automatically download patches.  And origin lacks most of the community aspects of steam. As well as the overall library

the_bi99man

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#77 the_bi99man

[QUOTE="FelipeInside"][QUOTE="Rage010101"]

lol no

lostrib

How does it auto update better than steam? they both just automatically download patches.  And origin lacks most of the community aspects of steam. As well as the overall library

Exactly. Origin is very obviously the same  kind  of program as steam. But to say that it does anything better than steam is laughable, and an insult to steam.

FelipeInside

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#78 FelipeInside

[QUOTE="FelipeInside"][QUOTE="Rage010101"]

lol no

lostrib

The update servers are much faster on Origin. And like I said, Origin has missing features of course since it's what, a year old? Steam has been out 12 years now or something... and they JUST added screenshot support. Not saying Origin is 100% better than Steam or vice-versa, each have their pros and cons. But they work the same as DRM.
lostrib

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#79 lostrib

[QUOTE="lostrib"]

[QUOTE="FelipeInside"] lol yes. It's an online DRM, you can buy games off there, the games auto update themselves (better than Steam may I add), and Origin even is faster and more stable than Steam. Like I said, apart from some missing features that Steam has, there is no difference....except of course how people perceive each. (why I said people are in love with Gabe).FelipeInside

The update servers are much faster on Origin. And like I said, Origin has missing features of course since it's what, a year old? Steam has been out 12 years now or something... and they JUST added screenshot support. Not saying Origin is 100% better than Steam or vice-versa, each have their pros and cons. But they work the same as DRM.

Not noticed any speed or stability difference between the two since they both update in the background. 

the_bi99man

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#80 the_bi99man

[QUOTE="lostrib"]

[QUOTE="FelipeInside"] lol yes. It's an online DRM, you can buy games off there, the games auto update themselves (better than Steam may I add), and Origin even is faster and more stable than Steam. Like I said, apart from some missing features that Steam has, there is no difference....except of course how people perceive each. (why I said people are in love with Gabe).FelipeInside

The update servers are much faster on Origin.

That hasn't been my experience. I've never seen  anything  download as fast as my steam games. 

And yeah, Origin lacks a whole lot of things, most importantly the game selection. So, origin doesn't do anything better than steam, and it does a whole mess of things far far worse. 

I'd say that equates to it being objectively worse.

FelipeInside

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#81 FelipeInside

[QUOTE="FelipeInside"][QUOTE="lostrib"]

lostrib

Not noticed any speed or stability difference between the two since they both update in the background. 

Well, you probably haven't noticed cause you don't check it. I've tested both on different sites and configurations and Origin is always there maxing out the connection, while Steam fluctuates here and there. It could be due to the fact that Steam has more traffic going thru their servers. Again. Don't get me wrong, I love Steam. I wish they would implement features faster though.
FelipeInside

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#82 FelipeInside

[QUOTE="FelipeInside"][QUOTE="lostrib"]

the_bi99man

The update servers are much faster on Origin.

That hasn't been my experience. I've never seen  anything  download as fast as my steam games. 

And yeah, Origin lacks a whole lot of things, most importantly the game selection. So, origin doesn't do anything better than steam, and it does a whole mess of things far far worse. 

What does it do worse?
the_bi99man

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#83 the_bi99man

[QUOTE="the_bi99man"]

[QUOTE="FelipeInside"] The update servers are much faster on Origin.FelipeInside

What does it do worse?

Game selection, overlay web browser, layout, community features, nothing resembling steam workshop/mod support, prices and sales...

The overlay web browser, in particular, really bugs me in origin. For one major reason. Every browser I have ever used, going as far back as I can remember, including the steam overlay web browser, lets you search pages for specific text, using Ctrl+F. This is an obvious, easy, and indespensible feature for searching through game walkthroughs, which is pretty much the only thing I'd ever use an in-game web browser for. Origin overlay web browser doesn't have that. Or at least it didn't the last time I tried, a couple months ago. I don't know if it's been added since. I haven't even opened origin in months. Even if it has, the fact that is wasn't there to begin with is facepalm worthy.

It also doesn't let me go "back" using the thumb buttons on my mouse. Steam does, and so does every other browser I've ever used, since I've had a mouse with thumb buttons.

wis3boi

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#84 wis3boi
Member since 2005 • 32507 Posts

[QUOTE="Rage010101"]

[QUOTE="FelipeInside"] Origin is exactly the same and works better than Steam (just doesn't have offline mode) yet it gets bagged to kingdom come for it's DRM? I think people are just in love with Gabe, lol....FelipeInside

lol no

and you missed over half the features I listed that steam offers that origin does not. 

Avatar image for deactivated-59d151f079814
deactivated-59d151f079814

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#85 deactivated-59d151f079814
Member since 2003 • 47239 Posts
I don't mind origins and steam for what they do.. What I do mind is the fact that through these systems, the company literally has you by the balls.. That if they find you in violation of anything, it can mean you losing hundreds of dollars worth of games.. And you always hear these horror stories of people randomly getting banned on any of these services because at times they get a false positive which leads them to action.. That these DRM's feel like the legitimate purchaser is having less and less rights.. What bothers me most about this, is they are not giving anything extra in return for this annoyance.. This is all while the gaming industry is EXPLODING with profits.. In which blockbuster games are expected, not even hoped, but EXPECTED To sell numerous millions..
Rage010101

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#86 Rage010101

[QUOTE="Rage010101"]

lol no

lol still no

FelipeInside

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#87 FelipeInside

[QUOTE="FelipeInside"][QUOTE="the_bi99man"]

the_bi99man

What does it do worse?

Game selection, overlay web browser, layout, community features, nothing resembling steam workshop/mod support, prices and sales...

The overlay web browser, in particular, really bugs me in origin. For one major reason. Every browser I have ever used, going as far back as I can remember, including the steam overlay web browser, lets you search pages for specific text, using Ctrl+F. This is an obvious, easy, and indespensible feature for searching through game walkthroughs, which is pretty much the only thing I'd ever use an in-game web browser for. Origin overlay web browser doesn't have that. Or at least it didn't the last time I tried, a couple months ago. I don't know if it's been added since. I haven't even opened origin in months. Even if it has, the fact that is wasn't there to begin with is facepalm worthy.

It also doesn't let me go "back" using the thumb buttons on my mouse. Steam does, and so does every other browser I've ever used, since I've had a mouse with thumb buttons.

Most of those things u mentioned are little features that can be implemented in a patch. Other things need time to incorporate (like Community). As it is now though, Origin works perfectly, and most of the time even more stable and faster than Steam. But, like I said multiple times, it has it's cons as well.
JangoWuzHere

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#88 JangoWuzHere
Member since 2007 • 19032 Posts

I have never had bad experience with DRM, so I don't hate it. The thing I don't like is the fact that I own multiple games on various digital platforms. I'd prefer just to have everything on Steam including my physical retail boxes.

Lost-to-Apathy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 5

#89 Lost-to-Apathy
Member since 2012 • 459 Posts

Think about it. It's supposed to prevent pirates from pirating, but the pirates find a way around it. They get a nice, DRM free version and they pay nothing for it. Yet, you, the person who is willing to legally buy the game, have to deal with it. It restricts your rights as a consumer, not just on paper, but in practice. And let's not forget that a lot of these DRM schemes could be considered malware and spyware. Securom is pretty notorious for breaking peoples dvd drives, for example. If you're paying full price for games that come with these invasive protection schemes, you sir, simply put, are a sucker. 

FelipeInside

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#90 FelipeInside

Think about it. It's supposed to prevent pirates from pirating, but the pirates find a way around it. They get a nice, DRM free version and they pay nothing for it. Yet, you, the person who is willing to legally buy the game, have to deal with it. It restricts your rights as a consumer, not just on paper, but in practice. And let's not forget that a lot of these DRM schemes could be considered malware and spyware. Securom is pretty notorious for breaking peoples dvd drives, for example. If you're paying full price for games that come with these invasive protection schemes, you sir, simply put, are a sucker. 

Lost-to-Apathy

Not always.  I've heard of some titles that don't work properly when pirated (for example Mass Effect)

Lost-to-Apathy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#91 Lost-to-Apathy

[QUOTE="Lost-to-Apathy"]

FelipeInside

Not always.  I've heard of some titles that don't work properly when pirated (for example Mass Effect)

Mass Effect works perfectly fine when it's pirated. Diablo III doesn't, but that's one of the few exceptions.
FelipeInside

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#92 FelipeInside
[QUOTE="FelipeInside"]

[QUOTE="Lost-to-Apathy"]

Lost-to-Apathy

Mass Effect works perfectly fine when it's pirated. Diablo III doesn't, but that's one of the few exceptions.

Not when it was first released, I remember reading the Galaxy Map wouldn't work and there were rumours that it was actually BioWare who released that version. I also hear people (I have friends who pirate sadly) have issues with some versions.
Lost-to-Apathy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#93 Lost-to-Apathy

[QUOTE="Lost-to-Apathy"][QUOTE="FelipeInside"]

FelipeInside

Not when it was first released, I remember reading the Galaxy Map wouldn't work and there were rumours that it was actually BioWare who released that version. I also hear people (I have friends who pirate sadly) have issues with some versions.

So the pirates wait a week or two, or maybe a month at most for a better one. Also, a lot of the issues come from the fact that people are idiots and suck at pirating games. There's that, too.

FelipeInside

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#94 FelipeInside

[QUOTE="FelipeInside"][QUOTE="Lost-to-Apathy"] Mass Effect works perfectly fine when it's pirated. Diablo III doesn't, but that's one of the few exceptions. Lost-to-Apathy

So the pirates wait a week or two, or maybe a month at most for a better one. Also, a lot of the issues come from the fact that people are idiots and suck at pirating games. There's that, too.

Well that's the idea of DRM duh..... Hold off the pirates as much as possible to fit in a few more sales. Whoever thinks DRM is meant to stop piracy 100% is naive....
Lost-to-Apathy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#95 Lost-to-Apathy

[QUOTE="Lost-to-Apathy"]

[QUOTE="FelipeInside"] Not when it was first released, I remember reading the Galaxy Map wouldn't work and there were rumours that it was actually BioWare who released that version. I also hear people (I have friends who pirate sadly) have issues with some versions. FelipeInside

Well that's the idea of DRM duh..... Hold off the pirates as much as possible to fit in a few more sales. Whoever thinks DRM is meant to stop piracy 100% is naive....

Well, then they should have no reason to keep it in 5 years down the road. Patch it out. If it's cracked, what purpose does it serve other than to get in the way of the legal buyer?

FelipeInside

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#96 FelipeInside

[QUOTE="FelipeInside"][QUOTE="Lost-to-Apathy"]So the pirates wait a week or two, or maybe a month at most for a better one. Also, a lot of the issues come from the fact that people are idiots and suck at pirating games. There's that, too.

Lost-to-Apathy

Well, then they should have no reason to keep it in 5 years down the road. Patch it out. If it's cracked, what purpose does it serve other than to get in the way of the legal buyer?

That's a good point, but you have to understand that probably 98% of DRM works fine (I made that number up). And why would they remove a working DRM in the future? and how? Just means more work for them at the cost of breaking something (game stops working) and leaving an open game without DRM.

I understand ur against DRM (I see ur sig), but you need to put yourself on the developer side. 

rhazzy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#97 rhazzy
Member since 2009 • 1516 Posts

[QUOTE="lawlessx"]

[QUOTE="wis3boi"]

If it's done right (aka Steam) it's fine.  If it's done bad, aka Sim City and SecuROM, it's fvcking terrible.   My boxed copy of GTA IV came with SecuROM and when I got a new PC a few years ago, I went to reinstall GTA and it thought I prated the game, making Niko permanently drunk and making every car I got into explode.  I couldn't fix it for months and got a steam copy for $5 that doesn't have this draconian DRM in it.  Online only shit like SimCity and Diablo 3 is just asinine beyond words.

wis3boi

pics or it didn't happen :lol:

This is what happens to GTA boxed copies when you crack it or like in my case, the DRM just shits itself after owning the copy for a few years

Stop talking BS...i have the boxed copy since 03 December 2008(first day purchase)...and i have changed my PC 2 times since then...re-installed...no freaking problem.
The majority, which hate DRm has no clue about why they hate DRM in games...
How does the DRM directly affects you??

Human rights!!!
Animal rights!!!
Respect the Vegetarians!!!

Stop The Exploit of Planet Earth!!!
Have Fair Play!!!
Unicef is the best!!!

Captain Hook!!!!!!

What i wrote above is the argumentation of those which hate DRM...NONSENSE!!!

Lost-to-Apathy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#98 Lost-to-Apathy

[QUOTE="Lost-to-Apathy"]

[QUOTE="FelipeInside"] Well that's the idea of DRM duh..... Hold off the pirates as much as possible to fit in a few more sales. Whoever thinks DRM is meant to stop piracy 100% is naive....FelipeInside

That's a good point, but you have to understand that probably 98% of DRM works fine (I made that number up). And why would they remove a working DRM in the future? and how? Just means more work for them at the cost of breaking something (game stops working) and leaving an open game without DRM.

I understand ur against DRM (I see ur sig), but you need to put yourself on the developer side. 

If I was a developer, I'd be doing what CD Project Red is doing. Any other developer would just be wasting their time and pointlessly pissing legitimate customers off. If someone really wants your game, they'll buy it. To be honest, I wouldn't even want a pirates money. They are degenerate pieces of crap, no better than common thieves. I don't see the point in forcing them to pay for my product. I'd much rather see them get hit by a truck.

FelipeInside

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#99 FelipeInside

[QUOTE="FelipeInside"]

[QUOTE="Lost-to-Apathy"]Well, then they should have no reason to keep it in 5 years down the road. Patch it out. If it's cracked, what purpose does it serve other than to get in the way of the legal buyer?

Lost-to-Apathy

If I was a developer, I'd be doing what CD Project Red is doing. Any other developer would just be wasting their time and pointlessly pissing legitimate customers off. If someone really wants your game, they'll buy it. To be honest, I wouldn't even want a pirates money. They are degenerate pieces of crap, no better than common thieves. I don't see the point in forcing them to pay for my product. I'd much rather see them get hit by a truck.

You say that now from a gamer's perspective but I assure u it would be different as a developer. Take an example: You create GAME1 without DRM. It gets pirated a lot, you earn 15% profit on it. You create GAME1: Part 2 with DRM. It gets pirated but you earn 35% profit on it. What are you going to do on Part 3? Especially when you have profit deadlines you need to meet from the publisher.
Lost-to-Apathy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#100 Lost-to-Apathy

[QUOTE="Lost-to-Apathy"]

[QUOTE="FelipeInside"]

FelipeInside

You say that now from a gamer's perspective but I assure u it would be different as a developer. Take an example: You create GAME1 without DRM. It gets pirated a lot, you earn 15% profit on it. You create GAME1: Part 2 with DRM. It gets pirated but you earn 35% profit on it. What are you going to do on Part 3? Especially when you have profit deadlines you need to meet from the publisher.

I'm going to stick with number 1 and deal with it. I'd rather make people happy because at least they'll be back for my second game. There's no way to even prove that DRM = more sales.