Wikileaks 'hacked' before secret documents are due to be revealed

• 163 results

This topic is locked from further discussion.

Espada12

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

User Lists: 0

#101 Espada12
Member since 2008 • 23247 Posts

[QUOTE="airshocker"]

I'm wondering why our special ops hasn't gone in and destroyed the archives yet.

If these documents are dangerous, like they say, they would be fully justified.

Pixel-Pirate

I don't think wikileaks is in the US? And conducting special ops missions against citizens of foreign nations is kinda bad publicity.

Spec ops missions are generally done against citizens of foreign nations...

inoperativeRS

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 10

#102 inoperativeRS
Member since 2004 • 8844 Posts

Give me your credit card number, other people have the right to know, lol.

Or I can just hack your account, and give it to others. Others have a right to know.

p2250
Obviously there's a difference between stealing money/private information and releasing information that should have been public to begin with (not saying that a democracy requires that absolutely EVERYTHING that goes on behind the scenes should be made public but I think Wikileaks has hit the mark a vast majority of the time, considering how hard it is for governments to point out any events where information released by them actually would have done harm).
Espada12

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#103 Espada12

[QUOTE="Verge_6"][QUOTE="ChowsSN"]I'm surprised the Wikileak's dude didn't mysteriously disappear yet.GazaAli
He's going to piss off Russia, China, or Mossad at some point, and then we're never going to hear from him again. Assange probably isn't going to live out the next decade.

I dunno about that. The guy is obviously very open about what he does and its not the days of soviets, spetznats, Nazi scientist anymore, meaning that killing him will be too obvious.

The mossad doesn't care for that, since the days of their kidnappings in south american and assassinations in europe they haven't cared. They even killed a germany national and bombed a german hotel to get who they wanted. I believe it was called operation Hand of God or wrath of god or something like that.

p2250

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

#104 p2250
Member since 2003 • 1520 Posts
[QUOTE="inoperativeRS"][QUOTE="p2250"]

Or I can just hack your account, and give it to others. Others have a right to know.

Obviously there's a difference between stealing money/private information and releasing information that should have been public to begin with (not saying that a democracy requires that absolutely EVERYTHING that goes on behind the scenes should be made public but I think Wikileaks has hit the mark a vast majority of the time, considering how hard it is for governments to point out any events where information released by them actually would have done harm).

The thing is, this information should not have been made public to begin with, that's the point. You nor I have a right to know these types of things.
F1_2004

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#105 F1_2004
Member since 2003 • 8009 Posts
[QUOTE="p2250"][QUOTE="inoperativeRS"][QUOTE="p2250"]

The thing is, this information should not have been made public to begin with, that's the point. You nor I have a right to know these types of things.

There was some stuff about spying on foreign political figures, collecting DNA etc. How do you figure they or their country have no right to know about these types of things? USA just doesn't WANT them to know about these things.
z4twenny

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 7

#106 z4twenny
Member since 2006 • 4898 Posts

[QUOTE="inoperativeRS"][QUOTE="p2250"]

p2250

you don't think a country has a right to know what its military does?

p2250

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#107 p2250

[QUOTE="p2250"][QUOTE="inoperativeRS"] Obviously there's a difference between stealing money/private information and releasing information that should have been public to begin with (not saying that a democracy requires that absolutely EVERYTHING that goes on behind the scenes should be made public but I think Wikileaks has hit the mark a vast majority of the time, considering how hard it is for governments to point out any events where information released by them actually would have done harm). z4twenny

So, you think that a nobody, sitting at home on his computer, has a right to know classified government information that could potentially risk lives and national security?
supa_badman

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 8

#108 supa_badman
Member since 2008 • 16714 Posts

Not surprised. Looks 'good' on USA's part though doesn't it? ?>_>

inoperativeRS

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#109 inoperativeRS
[QUOTE="p2250"][QUOTE="inoperativeRS"][QUOTE="p2250"]

How could we expect the public to make informed decisions during elections if it does not possess all the information it needs to evaluate the different options? Democracy falls apart without informed voters. This thing is, you're not giving me any reasons to even consider your stance.
p2250

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#110 p2250
[QUOTE="p2250"][QUOTE="inoperativeRS"] Obviously there's a difference between stealing money/private information and releasing information that should have been public to begin with (not saying that a democracy requires that absolutely EVERYTHING that goes on behind the scenes should be made public but I think Wikileaks has hit the mark a vast majority of the time, considering how hard it is for governments to point out any events where information released by them actually would have done harm). inoperativeRS

How could we expect the public to make informed decisions during elections if it does not possess all the information it needs to evaluate the different options? Democracy falls apart without informed voters. This thing is, you're not giving me any reasons to even consider your stance.

Civilians don't have the right to make national security decisions. If they want that information, they should get a proper education and be employed with the government.
Verge_6

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#111 Verge_6
Member since 2007 • 20282 Posts

[QUOTE="GazaAli"][QUOTE="Verge_6"] He's going to piss off Russia, China, or Mossad at some point, and then we're never going to hear from him again. Assange probably isn't going to live out the next decade.Espada12

I dunno about that. The guy is obviously very open about what he does and its not the days of soviets, spetznats, Nazi scientist anymore, meaning that killing him will be too obvious.

The mossad doesn't care for that, since the days of their kidnappings in south american and assassinations in europe they haven't cared. They even killed a germany national and bombed a german hotel to get who they wanted. I believe it was called operation Hand of God or wrath of god or something like that.

There was also quite a bit of controversy regarding the mysterious and violent death of a born-Canadian national after he started helping Saddam Hussein with a super-gun that could shell Israel. All signs pointed to Mossad being the perpetrators. Russia likewise does not have a history of giving two damns about how open something is. Look how many reporters that got on Putin's bad side have gone missing. Hell, look at the ex-KGB informant being poisoned in a goddamned hospital. Assenger is a dead man if he treads on the wrong toes.
weezyfb

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

#112 weezyfb
Member since 2009 • 14703 Posts
There's a lot of patriotic nerds out there, wouldn't be surprised if one of them did it. Also wouldn't be surprised if the government did.F1_2004
my thoughts exactly
Ravensmash

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#113 Ravensmash
Member since 2010 • 13862 Posts
[QUOTE="inoperativeRS"][QUOTE="p2250"] The thing is, this information should not have been made public to begin with, that's the point. You nor I have a right to know these types of things.p2250

Civilians don't have the right to make national security decisions. If they want that information, they should get a proper education and be employed with the government.

Yet it's the civilians who are choosing for these politicians to come into power, and thus make those decisions. If it could affect how a government is viewed by it's population, then they have a right imo to see it.
hesel

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#114 hesel
Member since 2006 • 2738 Posts
[quote="wikileaks"] US shock at the rude behaviour of Prince Andrew when abroad.

Made me laugh.
p2250

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#115 p2250
[QUOTE="p2250"][QUOTE="inoperativeRS"] How could we expect the public to make informed decisions during elections if it does not possess all the information it needs to evaluate the different options? Democracy falls apart without informed voters. This thing is, you're not giving me any reasons to even consider your stance.Ravensmash

Yet it's the civilians who are choosing for these politicians to come into power, and thus make those decisions. If it could affect how a government is viewed by it's population, then they have a right imo to see it.

That still does not mean civilians have a right to know national security secrets and what happens in discussion behind closed doors regarding national security.
inoperativeRS

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#116 inoperativeRS
[QUOTE="z4twenny"]

[QUOTE="p2250"] The thing is, this information should not have been made public to begin with, that's the point. You nor I have a right to know these types of things.p2250

So, you think that a nobody, sitting at home on his computer, has a right to know classified government information that could potentially risk lives and national security?

And where is the proof that the information that Wikileaks has released has resulted in any real danger? Where do we draw the line between something that is and isn't dangerous in the hands of the public? In my opinion Wikileaks has mostly stayed on the right side of that line. And if governments were truly interested in protecting individuals and national security in this matter, why would they not accept Wikileaks' offer to work together to remove such information from the leaks? This is not a terrorist organisation we're talking about.
p2250

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#117 p2250

[QUOTE="p2250"][QUOTE="z4twenny"]

inoperativeRS

And where is the proof that the information that Wikileaks has released has resulted in any real danger? Where do we draw the line between something that is and isn't dangerous in the hands of the public? In my opinion Wikileaks has mostly stayed on the right side of that line. And if governments were truly interested in protecting individuals and national security in this matter, why would they not accept Wikileaks' offer to work together to remove such information from the leaks? This is not a terrorist organisation we're talking about.

Leaking information that could threaten a nation's national security is without a doubt a type of terrorism. Helping foreign enemies gain valuable information that can harm the interests of the said nation is a kind of terrorism.

l4dak47

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#118 l4dak47
Member since 2009 • 6838 Posts
[QUOTE="inoperativeRS"][QUOTE="p2250"][QUOTE="inoperativeRS"] Obviously there's a difference between stealing money/private information and releasing information that should have been public to begin with (not saying that a democracy requires that absolutely EVERYTHING that goes on behind the scenes should be made public but I think Wikileaks has hit the mark a vast majority of the time, considering how hard it is for governments to point out any events where information released by them actually would have done harm).

Lol at assuming that voters are well-informed come voting time.
firefluff3

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#119 firefluff3
Member since 2010 • 2073 Posts

[QUOTE="z4twenny"]

[QUOTE="p2250"] The thing is, this information should not have been made public to begin with, that's the point. You nor I have a right to know these types of things.p2250

They shouldn't do anything they have to hide then.

Verge_6

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#120 Verge_6
Member since 2007 • 20282 Posts
[QUOTE="l4dak47"][QUOTE="inoperativeRS"][QUOTE="p2250"] The thing is, this information should not have been made public to begin with, that's the point. You nor I have a right to know these types of things.

Agreed, considering most voters seem to have their votes determined by singular issues... "I'm voting for THIS guy becuz he hates them thar gays." "What about his views on the Congressional structuring and the distribution of income on the lower-class level?" "The whut now?"
p2250

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#121 p2250
[QUOTE="firefluff3"]

They haven't done anything they need to hide. Wikileaks has really failed to deliver on the hype they created.
l4dak47

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#122 l4dak47
Member since 2009 • 6838 Posts
[QUOTE="Verge_6"][QUOTE="l4dak47"][QUOTE="inoperativeRS"] How could we expect the public to make informed decisions during elections if it does not possess all the information it needs to evaluate the different options? Democracy falls apart without informed voters. This thing is, you're not giving me any reasons to even consider your stance.

Agreed, considering most voters seem to have their votes determined by singular issues... "I'm voting for THIS guy becuz he hates them thar gays." "What about his views on the Congressional structuring and the distribution of income on the lower-class level?" "The whut now?"

Yep, pretty much. Which is sad, but oh well.
inoperativeRS

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#123 inoperativeRS
[QUOTE="Ravensmash"][QUOTE="p2250"] Civilians don't have the right to make national security decisions. If they want that information, they should get a proper education and be employed with the government.p2250

That still does not mean civilians have a right to know national security secrets and what happens in discussion behind closed doors regarding national security.

As someone who's undergone Peace Keeper training in the Finnish Marines and has friends abroad right now I feel much better knowing that I can hold the people they are supposed to represent accountable than I'd feel if some information that was relevant to their situation was on purpose and publicly denied from the public by the government.
Avatar image for deactivated-5f9e3c6a83e51
deactivated-5f9e3c6a83e51

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 19

#124 deactivated-5f9e3c6a83e51
Member since 2004 • 57548 Posts
[QUOTE="Dark_Knight6"]

[QUOTE="sonicare"][QUOTE="Dark_Knight6"]

Why not blame the U.S. government for not only doing the things in the documents, but keeping it secret from the people in the country?

You could. But almost every country has some secretive things they do. America is by far the only one doing that. They're just the one in the crosshairs.

The fact that every country does it doesn't make it right. And when these things are leaked, the country should be held accountable, not the person leaking the documents.

The country or the government? Why blame the country when most of the people have no idea what is being done? Unless you just blindly want to hate on a specific country . . . . .
inoperativeRS

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#125 inoperativeRS
[QUOTE="l4dak47"][QUOTE="inoperativeRS"][QUOTE="p2250"] The thing is, this information should not have been made public to begin with, that's the point. You nor I have a right to know these types of things.

Haha true. :P Still it is an idea that is central to democracy. IMO it would be very hypocritical to try to create democratic governments in Iraq and Afghanistan while denying information about the war from the public on the grounds that they wouldn't use it anyway and there's a potential chance that it could cause danger. From a pragmatic perspective it does make sense.
p2250

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#126 p2250
[QUOTE="p2250"][QUOTE="Ravensmash"] Yet it's the civilians who are choosing for these politicians to come into power, and thus make those decisions. If it could affect how a government is viewed by it's population, then they have a right imo to see it.inoperativeRS

As someone who's undergone Peace Keeper training in the Finnish Marines and has friends abroad right now I feel much better knowing that I can hold the people they are supposed to represent accountable than I'd feel if some information that was relevant to their situation was on purpose and publicly denied from the public by the government.

Accountable for what?....and how will you hold the government accountable for national security measures?
Avatar image for deactivated-6127ced9bcba0
deactivated-6127ced9bcba0

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#127 deactivated-6127ced9bcba0
Member since 2006 • 31700 Posts

I don't think wikileaks is in the US? And conducting special ops missions against citizens of foreign nations is kinda bad publicity.

Pixel-Pirate

Never said Wikileaks was in the US. That's why we need to use Special Forces. They don't get caught.

p2250

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#128 p2250

And since when did anti-American foreigners (i.e. Europeans) have the right to demand accountability from a government that is not theirs?

Give us your classified information if you really believe in freedom of information. Not only that, if I were to give that info to enemies of your country so they could use it against you, don't blame me, blame yourselves.

That's the mentality of a lot of these anti-American wikileaks supporters.

inoperativeRS

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#129 inoperativeRS
[QUOTE="inoperativeRS"][QUOTE="p2250"] That still does not mean civilians have a right to know national security secrets and what happens in discussion behind closed doors regarding national security.p2250

Accountable for what?....and how will you hold the government accountable for national security measures?

Things like killing innocents because of negligence and then lying to cover it up, using internationally banned interrogation methods and ignoring obvious cases of prisoner torture among allies. No matter how important the end result is I don't want my country to be a part of that. And I would hold them accountable by voting. If one risks one's life for a cause I think one deserves to know exactly what that cause is.
inoperativeRS

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#130 inoperativeRS

And since when did anti-American foreigners (i.e. Europeans) have the right to demand accountability from a government that is not theirs?

Give us your classified information if you really believe in freedom of information. Not only that, if I were to give that info to enemies of your country so they could use it against you, don't blame me, blame yourselves.

That's the mentality of a lot of these anti-American wikileaks supporters.

p2250

I'm definitely not anti-American, I don't think I've mentioned the US outside of the case of the US government trying to stop Wikileaks in this thread. When I talk about holding someone accountable I'm talking about the governments that I have say in (Finland and the UK). That does not change the fact that I think citizens in any democratic country should be able to hold their governments accountable (which also happens to be one of the cornerstones of your country).

p2250

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#131 p2250
[QUOTE="p2250"][QUOTE="inoperativeRS"] As someone who's undergone Peace Keeper training in the Finnish Marines and has friends abroad right now I feel much better knowing that I can hold the people they are supposed to represent accountable than I'd feel if some information that was relevant to their situation was on purpose and publicly denied from the public by the government.inoperativeRS

Things like killing innocents because of negligence and then lying to cover it up, using internationally banned interrogation methods and ignoring obvious cases of prisoner torture among allies. No matter how important the end result is I don't want my country to be a part of that. And I would hold them accountable by voting. If one risks one's life for a cause I think one deserves to know exactly what that cause is.

All countries are a part of that, it's war. Has been that way throughout all history. Trust me, you can't change it, just accept it. And if terrorists weren't waging war on the US and other western countries and trageting civilians for mass killings, it would not be an issue. Don't tell other governments how to protect their country and their people.
Avatar image for UnknownSniper65
UnknownSniper65

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#132 UnknownSniper65
Member since 2004 • 9238 Posts

[QUOTE="p2250"][QUOTE="inoperativeRS"] As someone who's undergone Peace Keeper training in the Finnish Marines and has friends abroad right now I feel much better knowing that I can hold the people they are supposed to represent accountable than I'd feel if some information that was relevant to their situation was on purpose and publicly denied from the public by the government.inoperativeRS

Do you think the Taliban release press statements every time they kill innocent civilians? Part of war is not allowing your enemy to use your mistakes to their advantage.

p2250

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#133 p2250

[QUOTE="inoperativeRS"][QUOTE="p2250"] Accountable for what?....and how will you hold the government accountable for national security measures?UnknownSniper65

Do you think the Taliban release press statements every time they kill innocent civilians? Part of war is not allowing your enemy to use your mistakes to their advantage.

Apparently, somehow genocidal thugs like Saddam Hussein/Taliban/al-Qaida are immune from accountablility.
inoperativeRS

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#134 inoperativeRS
[QUOTE="p2250"] Don't tell other governments how to protect their country and their people.

I'm not. I am giving my opinion. As for the nature of war, it's impossible to say if it will change but shouldn't we at least strive to be examples?
UnknownSniper65

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#135 UnknownSniper65

[QUOTE="p2250"] Don't tell other governments how to protect their country and their people.inoperativeRS
I'm not. I am giving my opinion. As for the nature of war, it's impossible to say if it will change but shouldn't we at least strive to be examples?

If you enjoy losing wars.....

then sure

inoperativeRS

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#136 inoperativeRS

[QUOTE="inoperativeRS"][QUOTE="p2250"] Accountable for what?....and how will you hold the government accountable for national security measures?UnknownSniper65

How would releasing information about mistakes of that nature give any real advantage to the enemy? Obviously you shouldn't release information that helps the enemy but as I made clear in the very beginning I think Wikileaks has respected that in almost all cases (and I'm sure any exceptions were not on purpose and would again like to stress that they have been open about cooperating with governments to remove such information before releasing the leaks).
inoperativeRS

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#137 inoperativeRS

[QUOTE="inoperativeRS"][QUOTE="p2250"] Don't tell other governments how to protect their country and their people.UnknownSniper65

then sure

Do you seriously believe that the Coalition forces would have lost the wars in Iraq and Afghanistan if they would have been more open about releasing the information that Wikileaks has released?
Harisemo

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#138 Harisemo
Member since 2010 • 4133 Posts

i havent confirmed this but apparently king abdullah has denied ever asking US to attack iran. seems like US just wants to create tensions between iran and saudi arabia

Harisemo

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#139 Harisemo
Member since 2010 • 4133 Posts

[QUOTE="UnknownSniper65"]

[QUOTE="inoperativeRS"] I'm not. I am giving my opinion. As for the nature of war, it's impossible to say if it will change but shouldn't we at least strive to be examples? inoperativeRS

then sure

Do you seriously believe that the Coalition forces would have lost the wars in Iraq and Afghanistan if they would have been more open about releasing the information that Wikileaks has released?

are you saying they havent lost those wars? :o

inoperativeRS

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#140 inoperativeRS

[QUOTE="inoperativeRS"][QUOTE="UnknownSniper65"]

then sure

Harisemo

are you saying they havent lost those wars? :o

The other side sure as hell didn't. :lol: It's one thing to successfully invade a country and another completely to kill off religious fanaticism in that country. I guess you could say they lost if after they leave the situation goes back to being the same way it was before the invasion but that's really not the armed forces' fault...
p2250

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#141 p2250

The Saudi King asked the US to attack Iran. Imagine what that says to Iran.

If you think this leak has done the world good, you're very naive. It's seeming more and more clear Wikileaks was never meant to be anti-war, but pro-war.

Serious consequences is just beyond the horizon.

Looks good on Wikileaks. Now people will see them for what they really are.

Ingenemployee

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#143 Ingenemployee
Member since 2007 • 2307 Posts

Ive been looking through some of the documents on wikileaks, does anyone know any interesting ones that are worth reading?

DroidPhysX

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#144 DroidPhysX
Member since 2010 • 17098 Posts

The Saudi King asked the US to attack Iran. Imagine what that says to Iran.

If you think this leak has done the world good, you're very naive. It's seeming more and more clear Wikileaks was never meant to be anti-war, but pro-war.

Serious consequences is just beyond the horizon.

Looks good on Wikileaks. Now people will see them for what they really are.

p2250

Pretty sure its going to do more good long term wise.

-Sun_Tzu-

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#145 -Sun_Tzu-
Member since 2007 • 17384 Posts
I really don't think that wikileaks deserves all this hate that it's been getting. They aren't hacking computers and stealing information - all they do is publish documents that they receive from anonymous sources. If they don't publish this stuff someone else would.
UnknownSniper65

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#146 UnknownSniper65

[QUOTE="UnknownSniper65"]

[QUOTE="inoperativeRS"] I'm not. I am giving my opinion. As for the nature of war, it's impossible to say if it will change but shouldn't we at least strive to be examples? inoperativeRS

then sure

I believe the media presence and the insistence on information transparency ultimately made these wars much harder to fight than they had to be.

Espada12

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#147 Espada12

firefluff3

Fairy tail land mentality, typical of OT.

Pixel-Pirate

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

#148 Pixel-Pirate
Member since 2009 • 10771 Posts

[QUOTE="Pixel-Pirate"]

[QUOTE="airshocker"]

I'm wondering why our special ops hasn't gone in and destroyed the archives yet.

If these documents are dangerous, like they say, they would be fully justified.

Espada12

Spec ops missions are generally done against citizens of foreign nations...

I'm sure whatever country currently hosting wikileaks won't have any problem with spec ops members illegally entering their country and murdering people who haven't broken any of that countries laws and who arn't terrorists.

Pixel-Pirate

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#149 Pixel-Pirate
Member since 2009 • 10771 Posts

[QUOTE="z4twenny"]

Yes. I'd like to make this a longer post but all I can say is yes.

JigglyWiggly_

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#150 JigglyWiggly_
Member since 2009 • 24625 Posts

They really shouldn't be leaking stuff like that, I mean it's not wikileaks, they are just publishing it, but still.