Wikileaks 'hacked' before secret documents are due to be revealed

• 163 results

This topic is locked from further discussion.

Ravensmash

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

#1 Ravensmash
Member since 2010 • 13862 Posts

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/world-us-canada-11858637

Governments doing this do you think?

Edit: Well, it could be anyone, but evidently someone doesn't want this released (as we all know). What's your opinion on this?

It's going to be interesting to see how this affect diplomatic ties.

DroidPhysX

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

#2 DroidPhysX
Member since 2010 • 17098 Posts

Well since its particulary damaging to the United States gov't i wouldnt be surprised if its Washington who ordered Wikileaks to be hacked.

Plus I'm glad Wikileaks is doing this. The governement shouldnt hide things from their people.

ChowsSN

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 26

#3 ChowsSN
Member since 2004 • 10399 Posts
I'm surprised the Wikileak's dude didn't mysteriously disappear yet.
F1_2004

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#4 F1_2004
Member since 2003 • 8009 Posts
There's a lot of patriotic nerds out there, wouldn't be surprised if one of them did it. Also wouldn't be surprised if the government did.
Mercenary848

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#5 Mercenary848
Member since 2007 • 12139 Posts

Hmm the site(wikieaks) won't come up for me.

shadowkiller11

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 12

#6 shadowkiller11
Member since 2008 • 7956 Posts
[QUOTE="DroidPhysX"]

Well since its particulary damaging to the United States gov't i wouldnt be surprised if its Washington who ordered Wikileaks to be hacked.

Plus I'm glad Wikileaks is doing this. The governement shouldnt hide things from their people.

Even if that could potentially damage other allied nations trust? We have enough conflict as it is.
Ever_Grande

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#7 Ever_Grande
Member since 2010 • 284 Posts

Obviously the government.

Avatar image for UnknownSniper65
UnknownSniper65

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#8 UnknownSniper65
Member since 2004 • 9238 Posts

Obviously the government.

Ever_Grande

Plenty of pro-american groups that could have done it.

GazaAli

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#9 GazaAli
Member since 2007 • 25216 Posts
This release of wikileaks sounds quite interesting. I really need to get some of these documents.
UnknownSniper65

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#10 UnknownSniper65

This release of wikileaks sounds quite interesting. I really need to get some of these documents.GazaAli

Most of it is just over sensationalized stuff. They don't really release much that isn't common knowledge. The media just needs something to talk about for a couple of days until something else worth talking about happens.

GazaAli

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#11 GazaAli
regardless of who did it, it will be back eventually and we will get the documents.
UnknownSniper65

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#12 UnknownSniper65

regardless of who did it, it will be back eventually and we will get the documents.GazaAli

News organizations already have the documents...so it really doesn't matter. This is why I doubt the government was involved. What would be the purpose of bringing down the site when you already know several news organizations already have the content.

GazaAli

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#13 GazaAli

[QUOTE="GazaAli"]This release of wikileaks sounds quite interesting. I really need to get some of these documents.UnknownSniper65

Most of it is just over sensationalized stuff. They don't really release much that isn't common knowledge. The media just needs something to talk about for a couple of days until something else worth talking about happens.

let's wait and see. According to BBC, this release is about the US embassies assessments of Israel, Russia, UK and other countries. Sounds interesting enough to me, unlike the Iraq/Afghanistan releases.
GazaAli

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#14 GazaAli

[QUOTE="GazaAli"]regardless of who did it, it will be back eventually and we will get the documents.UnknownSniper65

News organizations already have the documents...so it really doesn't matter. This is why I doubt the government was involved. What would be the purpose of bringing down the site when you already know several news organizations already have the content.

yea exactly. It may be the US government and it may be the Illuminati, either way it does not matter.
Ravensmash

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#15 Ravensmash
[QUOTE="UnknownSniper65"]

[QUOTE="GazaAli"]This release of wikileaks sounds quite interesting. I really need to get some of these documents.GazaAli

let's wait and see. According to BBC, this release is about the US embassies assessments of Israel, Russia, UK and other countries. Sounds interesting enough to me, unlike the Iraq/Afghanistan releases.

Apparently one document said Hilary Clinton asked for people to spy on other countries ambassadors.... And something about Saudi Arabia wanting the US to attack Iran. Going to be interesting, that's for sure.
Dark_Knight6

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#16 Dark_Knight6
Member since 2006 • 16619 Posts

Some group of pissed off nationalists have done it, I imagine.

cobrax55

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#17 cobrax55
Member since 2007 • 1364 Posts

The documents have already been released by different websites in condensed form, but not fully by Wikileaks. Its clearly going to get some people pissed. Italy is fuming already.

Ravensmash

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#18 Ravensmash
http://news.sky.com/sky-news/app/liveTV/liveTv.html?lid=Live_TV_Popup&lpos=Right_Hand_Column Don't know if you guys can watch this outside UK, but they're going through the ones they know of so far.
carrot-cake

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#19 carrot-cake
Member since 2008 • 6880 Posts

When are they going to be released?

F1_2004

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#20 F1_2004
[QUOTE="UnknownSniper65"]

[QUOTE="GazaAli"]This release of wikileaks sounds quite interesting. I really need to get some of these documents.GazaAli

Looks like it's already online if you're willing to look for it http://www.jpost.com/DiplomacyAndPolitics/Article.aspx?id=197112
Ravensmash

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#21 Ravensmash

When are they going to be released?

carrot-cake
Publications are kind of releasing details now, and it's coming out on news channels. Meant to come up in full tonight.
cobrax55

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#23 cobrax55
Member since 2007 • 1364 Posts

They got some bigger document releases over here, but there still being sorted through.

http://www.guardian.co.uk/world/2010/nov/28/us-embassy-cable-leak-diplomacy-crisis

Harisemo

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#24 Harisemo
Member since 2010 • 4133 Posts

how the heck are thesedocuments being leaked? why are they unable to stop the whistleblower?

UnknownSniper65

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#25 UnknownSniper65

how the heck are thesedocuments being leaked? why are they unable to stop the whistleblower?

Harisemo

He was already arrested awhile back.

Ravensmash

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#26 Ravensmash
I want to know about this "member of royal family acting inappropriately".
F1_2004

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#27 F1_2004
Wow haha, some of the stuff reads like a cold war novel. I guess times haven't changed, just politicians playing nice in front of the media.
UnknownSniper65

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#28 UnknownSniper65

I can't be the only one who doesn't find most of the "summarized" content already released surprising at all? :|

Maniacc1

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 12

#29 Maniacc1
Member since 2006 • 5354 Posts
That's why they shouldn't "plan" a date to release the documents and just do them randomly. Obviously the Government is going to shut it down. :roll:
Ravensmash

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#30 Ravensmash

I can't be the only one who doesn't find most of the "summarized" content already released surprising at all? :|

UnknownSniper65
It's like the guy on Sky has been saying, it's stuff that people suspected, but having it wrote down and on paper is different. Sky just said that NYTimes are saying that Iran have missles from NK that can hit Western Europe....
l4dak47

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

#31 l4dak47
Member since 2009 • 6838 Posts
Wikileaks is a stupid website. I'm suprised more drastic measures haven't been taken aganist them.
GazaAli

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#32 GazaAli
Wow haha, some of the stuff reads like a cold war novel. I guess times haven't changed, just politicians playing nice in front of the media.F1_2004
sounds interesting :P. Its night here after a really long day of studying maths so not the best time to indulge in reading this now.
PcGamingRig

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#33 PcGamingRig
Member since 2009 • 7386 Posts

Link

here is the story of the release from the BBC.

p2250

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#34 p2250
Member since 2003 • 1520 Posts

The good thing is that if anyone happens to die over these leaks, we can blame Wikileaks.

With information comes responsibility, something I doubt these people care too much about.

Ravensmash

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#35 Ravensmash

The good thing is that if anyone happens to die over these leaks, we can blame Wikileaks.

With information comes responsibility, something I doubt these people care too much about.

p2250
The guy who thought it would be a good idea to actually leak them should be blamed too. What an idiot.
p2250

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#36 p2250
Member since 2003 • 1520 Posts
[QUOTE="Ravensmash"][QUOTE="UnknownSniper65"]

It's like the guy on Sky has been saying, it's stuff that people suspected, but having it wrote down and on paper is different. Sky just said that NYTimes are saying that Iran have missles from NK that can hit Western Europe....

I'm liking the infor so far, look like Israel and US have more reason to attack Iran now.
l4dak47

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#37 l4dak47

p2250
I agree. These idiots don't think about the consquences. Which is why I consider them scum.
GazaAli

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#38 GazaAli
I don't know if people are ignoring this, but how in the world can such political documents lead to the death of people??? I mean if it were tactical documents or military-related stuff like the previous releases then I would agree, but this? seriously.
Ravensmash

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#39 Ravensmash
[QUOTE="GazaAli"]I don't know if people are ignoring this, but how in the world can such political documents lead to the death of people??? I mean if it were tactical documents or military-related stuff like the previous releases then I would agree, but this? seriously.

I think it's just going to make diplomatic ties very strained (potentially) between the US and allies.
Ace6301

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#40 Ace6301
Member since 2005 • 21389 Posts
I see no problem with a government being held accountable for the things it says and does. I don't like the idea of leaking military strategies but it doesn't seem like that happened this time, just crap the US government has been doing and finding out that it didn't want to tell anyone.
GazaAli

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#41 GazaAli
[QUOTE="Ravensmash"][QUOTE="GazaAli"]I don't know if people are ignoring this, but how in the world can such political documents lead to the death of people??? I mean if it were tactical documents or military-related stuff like the previous releases then I would agree, but this? seriously.

I think it's just going to make diplomatic ties very strained (potentially) between the US and allies.

its a possibility, although I think its naive to think that politicians around the world do not already know this. Either way this kind of information can't get people killed.
ganon92

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 6

#42 ganon92
Member since 2005 • 968 Posts

The US Government squirming over this is truly delicious. Will make for some great diplomatic comedy.

SkyWard20

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#43 SkyWard20
Member since 2009 • 4509 Posts
[QUOTE="p2250"]

Ravensmash
The guy who thought it would be a good idea to actually leak them should be blamed too. What an idiot.

you don't want to find up what your country is up to? and what are those 'secret documents' about?
l4dak47

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#44 l4dak47
[QUOTE="GazaAli"]I don't know if people are ignoring this, but how in the world can such political documents lead to the death of people??? I mean if it were tactical documents or military-related stuff like the previous releases then I would agree, but this? seriously.

I'm not talking about these this leak, although this leak still has consequences. Mainly lack of trust and morale in the government. As well as strained relations with countries. Those two things are never good during times of war.
ganon92

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 6

#45 ganon92
Member since 2005 • 968 Posts
[QUOTE="l4dak47"][QUOTE="GazaAli"]I don't know if people are ignoring this, but how in the world can such political documents lead to the death of people??? I mean if it were tactical documents or military-related stuff like the previous releases then I would agree, but this? seriously.

I'm not talking about these this leak, although this leak still has consequences. Mainly lack of trust and morale in the government. As well as strained relations with countries. Those two things are never good during times of war.

I suppose it's convenient that the US is always at war then.
Sajo7

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#46 Sajo7
Member since 2005 • 14049 Posts
I'm surprised the Wikileak's dude didn't mysteriously disappear yet.ChowsSN
Ha. I could imagine the media storm from something like that.
Ravensmash

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#47 Ravensmash
[QUOTE="Ravensmash"][QUOTE="p2250"]

SkyWard20

you don't want to find up what your country is up to? and what are those 'secret documents' about?

To be honest, I can't think of a response to that :P I want to know, yes...but I don't like the potential fallout that it could cause (who know's what that is, so I'm not going to make assumptions now).
GazaAli

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#48 GazaAli
[QUOTE="l4dak47"][QUOTE="GazaAli"]I don't know if people are ignoring this, but how in the world can such political documents lead to the death of people??? I mean if it were tactical documents or military-related stuff like the previous releases then I would agree, but this? seriously.

as I said, I think politicians around the world already know this.
F1_2004

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#50 F1_2004
[QUOTE="ChowsSN"]I'm surprised the Wikileak's dude didn't mysteriously disappear yet.Sajo7
Ha. I could imagine the media storm from something like that.

Well he's already a suspected rapist http://www.cbc.ca/world/story/2010/11/18/wikileaks-sweden-assange.html