What's wrong with Sharia?

This topic is locked from further discussion.

Avatar image for Victorious_Fize
Victorious_Fize

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

#151 Victorious_Fize
Member since 2011 • 6128 Posts

[QUOTE="SaudiFury"][QUOTE="Riverwolf007"]you are just hiding your answers and the truth about sharia in taqiyya.

8.lolwut q5:33.

Riverwolf007

Taqiya huh.... so were at war? are we a married couple? or are we trying to settle a dispute? For the record i'm not a big fan of Sharia law on the state level at all. and i am Muslim. and for many of the same reasons that Foxhound_Fox has been saying.

look man, i'm not trying to offend anyone but it's completly obvious that it is taqiyya.

every time someone says "hey here is a clear black and white text saying it's cool to have sex with young girls before their first menstruation" or "here is one that says slay your enemies and your enemies are anyone not muslum" or any one of the hundreds of other things that are offensive to anyone that respects human rights the answer every time is "oh, well that does not count anymore, or it's a mistranslation or it's this or it's that and the actual meaning is the opposite of what it says there in black and white."

religious deception is built into and inseparable from islam.

as far as being at war so that taqiyya is an acceptible practice twenty bucks says you can find at least one hundred imams giving sermons on youtube claiming that there is a war going on which makes it completely acceptable to say anything you need to say to forward the cause.

all this works like a charm because westerners see a religion and say "omg! it's a religion! protect it!" when really islam is a political ideology dolled up to look like a religion.

if westerners understood both the political aspect and the precepts of taqiyya you would have a much more difficult time spreading the ideology so it makes it acceptable to do and say anything you need to say or do to protect it.

wat

Islam is a religion centered on the belief that Muhammad is the last prophet and have attained divine revelation from God, commanding him of the Five Pillars and Quran. That's it, anything else is theological development (hadith, the forbidden and hated, sunnah, hasanat from certain deeds and say'at from others), some of it is absurd, some of it is objectional, but that has nothing to do with Islam.

You don't have to grow a beard, you don't have to enforce it on other people, you don't have to establish it politically or financially (but there are some things that are forbidden such as interest "riba", hence, Islamic banks [most are bs]).

ZombieKiller7

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

#152 ZombieKiller7
Member since 2011 • 6463 Posts

The problem with Sharia is the same problem with Islam or any religion.

Humans (governments) took a concept that's good and intelligent and turned it into something barbaric and stupid.

In real Islam you're not even allowed to kill a tree during time of war.

But they murder innocent people and say "I did this for Islam."

Or they cut off hand for stealing bread and say "This is Sharia."

Just like in America everybody say "oh we're Christian, our Lord Jesus Christ blah blah" but then support bombing third-world countries.

All hypocrits.

Nowhere in the Koran you see anything about the size of your beard, or headscarves for women.

In the Koran one of the first things it says is "This is a complete book, we did not add anything afterwards."

But you go to muslim countries, they add other books and regulations and say "This is Islam too." No it's not. You added that.

Saudi Arabia is "Muslim" like the West is "Christian" in other words it's not.

In Saudi they make you put on burka.

In America they make you take off burka.

Where is freedom? Nowhere.

What business is it of anybody what I put on my head or what clothes I wear?

Freedom is only anarchy.

And not the fake communist anarchy where the whole "community" decides how you gonna live.

America is the closest to freedom in the world but the politicians will soon fix that.

I miss and love "old" America.

New America is copy of Saudi Arabia with different customs.

Frame_Dragger

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#153 Frame_Dragger
Member since 2009 • 9581 Posts
[QUOTE="Victorious_Fize"]

[QUOTE="Riverwolf007"]

Taqiya huh.... so were at war? are we a married couple? or are we trying to settle a dispute? For the record i'm not a big fan of Sharia law on the state level at all. and i am Muslim. and for many of the same reasons that Foxhound_Fox has been saying. SaudiFury
look man, i'm not trying to offend anyone but it's completly obvious that it is taqiyya.

every time someone says "hey here is a clear black and white text saying it's cool to have sex with young girls before their first menstruation" or "here is one that says slay your enemies and your enemies are anyone not muslum" or any one of the hundreds of other things that are offensive to anyone that respects human rights the answer every time is "oh, well that does not count anymore, or it's a mistranslation or it's this or it's that and the actual meaning is the opposite of what it says there in black and white."

as far as being at war so that taqiyya is an acceptible practice twenty bucks says you can find at least one hundred imams giving sermons on youtube claiming that there is a war going on which makes it completely acceptable to say anything you need to say to forward the cause.

all this works like a charm because westerners see a religion and say "omg! it's a religion! protect it!" when really islam is a political ideology dolled up to look like a religion.

if westerners understood both the political aspect and the precepts of taqiyya you would have a much more difficult time spreading the ideology so it makes it acceptable to do and say anything you need to say or do to protect it.

wat

Islam is a religion centered on the belief that Muhammad is the last prophet and have attained divine revelation from God, commanding him of the Five Pillars. That's it, anything else is theological development (hadith, the forbidden and hated, sunnah, hasanat from certain deeds and say'at from others), some of it is absurd, some of it is objectional, but that has nothing to do with Islam.

You don't have to grow a beard, you don't have to enforce it on other people, you don't have to establish it politically or financially (but there are some things that are forbidden such as interest "riba", hence, Islamic banks [most are bs]).

This was my impression as well. From all that I've read and discussed with muslim friends, you make a (heartfelt) declaration about god and muhammed, and boom... you're a Muslim. It also struck me as similar to the old, "accepting jesus" way of becoming Christian. In theory you could be on your deathbed, make that declaration (and mean it), and you die a Muslim... correct?
vfibsux

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 52

#154 vfibsux
Member since 2003 • 4497 Posts
[QUOTE="Frame_Dragger"][QUOTE="Victorious_Fize"]

[QUOTE="Riverwolf007"]look man, i'm not trying to offend anyone but it's completly obvious that it is taqiyya.

wat

Islam is a religion centered on the belief that Muhammad is the last prophet and have attained divine revelation from God, commanding him of the Five Pillars. That's it, anything else is theological development (hadith, the forbidden and hated, sunnah, hasanat from certain deeds and say'at from others), some of it is absurd, some of it is objectional, but that has nothing to do with Islam.

This was my impression as well. From all that I've read and discussed with muslim friends, you make a (heartfelt) declaration about god and muhammed, and boom... you're a Muslim. It also struck me as similar to the old, "accepting jesus" way of becoming Christian. In theory you could be on your deathbed, make that declaration (and mean it), and you die a Muslim... correct?

Practicing Islam and mandating Sharia are two completely different things. One can practice within or outside the limits of the religion at will, whereas Sharia is law with punishable offenses.
Victorious_Fize

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#155 Victorious_Fize

Humans (governments) took a concept that's good and intelligent and turned it into something barbaric and stupid.

Just like in America everybody say "oh we're Christian, our Lord Jesus Christ blah blah" but then support bombing third-world countries.

All hypocrits.

Nowhere in the Koran you see anything about the size of your beard, or headscarves for women.

In the Koran one of the first things it says is "This is a complete book, we did not add anything afterwards."

But you go to muslim countries, they add other books and regulations and say "This is Islam too." No it's not. You added that.

Freedom is only anarchy.

And not the fake communist anarchy where the whole "community" decides how you gonna live.

America is the closest to freedom in the world but the politicians will soon fix that.

ZombieKiller7

My EXACT sentiments! How did we get here... a better question however, how do we get out of it. :P

@Frame-Dagger - Yes, that is correct, Muslims believe that anyone who enters Islam in any given stage will be under God's mercy.

Frame_Dragger

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#156 Frame_Dragger

[QUOTE="ZombieKiller7"]

All hypocrits.

Freedom is only anarchy.

My EXACT sentiments! How did we get here... a better question however, how do we get out of it. :P

@Frame-Dagger - Yes, that is correct, Muslims believe that anyone who enters Islam in any given stage will be under God's mercy.

Well, then all of the rest is meant to be guidence as to how you live a good life, right?... not about what makes you Muslim or not. The answer to the OP then is that the problem is Sharia imposes a set of laws that are beyond the scope of Islam's core: acceptance of your god and prophet. Any time you insert a legal framwork into that, you distract from what unites a people and focus on elevating some above others. We did this in Judaism for a long time (a long time ago), and I think we're a better culture for having let that go. It's one thing to accept guidance, and another to have that be the law of the land. It's not just law that suffers when united with religion; religiion suffers as well.
AmazonTreeBoa

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#157 AmazonTreeBoa
Member since 2011 • 16745 Posts
[QUOTE="mayceV"][QUOTE="IZoMBiEI"]

heres one thing : from wiki "Muslim theology equates apostasy to treason, and in most interpretations of sharia, the penalty for apostasy is death"

fun.

....yeah in 750CE recent studies from ulama decided that Leaving Islam doesn't equate to death. read on the wikipedia page: "Muslim theology equates apostasy to treason, and in most interpretations of sharia, the penalty for apostasy is death. During the time of Muhammad, treason and apostasy were considered one and the same; nowadays, many scholars differentiate between treason and apostasy, believing that the punishment for apostasy is not death, while the punishment for treason is death." don't cherry pick.....

what is 750ce?
Victorious_Fize

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#158 Victorious_Fize

[QUOTE="ZombieKiller7"]

All hypocrits.

Freedom is only anarchy.

Frame_Dragger

Well, then all of the rest is meant to be guidence as to how you live a good life, right?... not about what makes you Muslim or not. The answer to the OP then is that the problem is Sharia imposes a set of laws that are beyond the scope of Islam's core: acceptance of your god and prophet. Any time you insert a legal framwork into that, you distract from what unites a people and focus on elevating some above others. We did this in Judaism for a long time (a long time ago), and I think we're a better culture for having let that go. It's one thing to accept guidance, and another to have that be the law of the land. It's not just law that suffers when united with religion; religiion suffers as well.

Sharia is not and should not be imposed on anyone that does not want it. Sharia (The Way) is for Muslim communities and countries that desire to live and explore a lifestyle that is in accordance with Islamic idealism (the closest to it being achieved was in anceint times from the 7th-13th century, where Turks, Persians, and Arabs of all were united under a Caliphates banner, then came the Ottoman Empire, that instilled a systematic multiconfessionalism similar to Rome) from observance of influential people in Islam (namely, the prophet Muhammad). The abandon of Orthodox Judaism, while not surprising, is one of the saddest things I know of Judaism. True beautiful Middle Eastern Jewish culture should never be replaced by suits and ideologies, I hope it prevails again one day. :)

Also:

Saudi Arabia: does everything maintain power.

Iran: does everything for Shia prevalence.

DroidPhysX

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#159 DroidPhysX
Member since 2010 • 17098 Posts

This question should not be that hard to answer.

Frame_Dragger

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#160 Frame_Dragger

Victorious_Fize

Sharia is not and should not be imposed on anyone that does not want it. Sharia (The Way) is for Muslim communities and countries that desire to live and explore a lifestyle that is in accordance with Islamic idealism (the closest to it being achieved was in anceint times from the 7th-13th century, where Turks, Persians, and Arabs of all were united under a Caliphates banner, then came the Ottoman Empire, that instilled a systematic multiconfessionalism similar to Rome) from observance of influential people in Islam (namely, the prophet Muhammad). The abandon of Orthodox Judaism, while not surprising, is one of the saddest things I know of Judaism. True beautiful Middle Eastern Jewish culture should never be replaced by suits and ideologies, I hope it prevails again one day. :)

Also:

Saudi Arabia: does everything maintain power.

Iran: does everything for Shia prevalence.

The true orthodoxy of Judaism is unkind, and unlike Christianity and Islam there is no way to profess acceptence and be accepted. Even modern orthody pales before the legalistic period B.C.... I don't see beauty in that. I see beauty in change that retains the spirit and culture of a thing without imposing the particular laws and interpretations derived from it thousands of years ago. In theory, maybe there is something to be said for emulating that life, but in practice that should at BEST be a personal journey, not a group endevour. So... my answer to what is wrong with Sharia is that it is DESIGNED to be imposed on people, not a path that can be followed.

Oh, and I agree with your asessment of the Suadi and Iranian governments.

SaudiFury

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 12

User Lists: 1

#161 SaudiFury
Member since 2007 • 8709 Posts

[QUOTE="SaudiFury"][QUOTE="Riverwolf007"]you are just hiding your answers and the truth about sharia in taqiyya.

8.lolwut q5:33.

Riverwolf007

Taqiya huh.... so were at war? are we a married couple? or are we trying to settle a dispute? For the record i'm not a big fan of Sharia law on the state level at all. and i am Muslim. and for many of the same reasons that Foxhound_Fox has been saying.

if westerners understood the political aspect and how taqiyya allows it to be hidden you would have a much more difficult time spreading the ideology so it makes it acceptable to do and say anything you need to say or do to protect it.

Oh My God.... if you even bothered to look up what Taqiyya really is, and not what the drivel **** that the Islamaphobes keep stating again. you know what... no i'm not offended at all "religious deception is built into and inseparable from Islam"

To the likes of you, Taqiyya is your get out of jail free card. "but what you said is not the same as the fundamentalist is saying. must mean your strategically lying to me!" that's all i see you doing with it the. and i've seen it used before as well. I could help you out on the side of the street after Friday prayer you'd likely turn around and say it relates to Taqiyya somehow. You don't even know what the **** Taiqyya is, nor it's history, nor the rules associated with it. All you know is "lying" and hence now you have your - like i said before - get out of jail free card. It's an "I win, you lose no matter what, because anything you could say in rebuttal is an obvious practice of Taqiyya"

and there are many many interpretations in religion, not just Islam. The things you said in your quotations, an Imam in Kazakhstan, Saudi, Indonesia, and the USA are each gonna have different opinions on those matters.

but wait... i'm practicing Taqiyya....

so nevermind, let me waste no more breath on this BS. wait... that must mean i'm telling the truth. :|

SpartanMSU

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#162 SpartanMSU
Member since 2009 • 3440 Posts

[QUOTE="Riverwolf007"]

lol, where do you want to start?

1: death sentence for ridiculing the big mo?

2: lopping off body parts?

3: beating your wife?

4: death sentence for apostates?

5: jihad?

6: whipping/stoning unmarried fornicators?

7: executing homosexuals?

8: crucifixion?

yeah, lets bring all that back.

pfft, what's wrong with sharia? you gotta be kidding me.

Nayef_shroof

2: You only get "your body parts lopped off" when you commit crimes of significance, such as stealing something of high value (Result being your hand cut off), or if you murder/rape someone (Punishment being, if proven overwhelmingly guilty, death)

3: Its against sharia law to abuse your wife. It is said that if she exact high handedness upon the husband and he decides to hit her, he cannot cause any bruises, bleeding, are injuries to sensitive areas of the body. It is also one of the largest sins to commit in sharia

4: That is not allowed...In older times (Centuries ago), apostasy was considered a form of treason, and treason was punishable by death, not apostasy.

5: Jihad means the inner struggle, so I dont understand what your talking about...

6: There is no stoning, just whipping

7: Homosexuals are punished when they display blatant acts of homosexuality in public, meaning that homosexuals can be homosexuals in private and face the consequences in the after-life. The punishment is appointed for the judge to decide.

8: lolwut?

Yeah totally yo, for realz. Let's go back to the middle ages. I hate human progress. It sucks.

mayceV

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 20

#163 mayceV
Member since 2008 • 4633 Posts
[QUOTE="mayceV"]if you want pschology, then You should remember that Human being only do things that benift them. so a lex talionis is less attractive then say a direct fine of 50,000 (also as I said stealing has to have 2 reliable witnesses under oath that witnessed the direct theft. So lopping hands off is nearly impossible unless the theft is stupid or in extreme need and if he is in extreme need then the lopping of hands isn't allowed punishment isn't allowed as long as the stolen goods is only to satisfy a human need ( food, water, cloth for a tent, blanket or something) and it has to have a minimal value not for say stealing a table or a pair of head phones. that is then brought down to tazir level. Also, as a state level which is for anything other than murder or battery its a completely normal system a court system with witnesses and a judge, that can be built upon to suit needs meaning getting help for a psycho is possible under Sharia. It isn't black and white and it is extremely flexible. Also the punishment decided under lex talionis cannot exceed the crime meaning unless he chopped your hand off you can't do the same to him. there is equal punishment for everyone. Not like hamurabi where slaves got the shaft. But again the idea of lex talionis is losing popularity and can be removed without going against the Quran.Frame_Dragger
This is philosophy, not psychology.

... I'm taking psychology right now. it isn't philosophy it psychology.
Frame_Dragger

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#164 Frame_Dragger
[QUOTE="Frame_Dragger"][QUOTE="mayceV"]if you want pschology, then You should remember that Human being only do things that benift them. so a lex talionis is less attractive then say a direct fine of 50,000 (also as I said stealing has to have 2 reliable witnesses under oath that witnessed the direct theft. So lopping hands off is nearly impossible unless the theft is stupid or in extreme need and if he is in extreme need then the lopping of hands isn't allowed punishment isn't allowed as long as the stolen goods is only to satisfy a human need ( food, water, cloth for a tent, blanket or something) and it has to have a minimal value not for say stealing a table or a pair of head phones. that is then brought down to tazir level. Also, as a state level which is for anything other than murder or battery its a completely normal system a court system with witnesses and a judge, that can be built upon to suit needs meaning getting help for a psycho is possible under Sharia. It isn't black and white and it is extremely flexible. Also the punishment decided under lex talionis cannot exceed the crime meaning unless he chopped your hand off you can't do the same to him. there is equal punishment for everyone. Not like hamurabi where slaves got the shaft. But again the idea of lex talionis is losing popularity and can be removed without going against the Quran.mayceV
This is philosophy, not psychology.

The notion of why people act in a charitable fashion has alrgely been the domain of philsophy, and while psychology is a tool to explore that its cconclusions are necessarily limited.
LJS9502_basic

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#165 LJS9502_basic
Member since 2003 • 178865 Posts
[QUOTE="mayceV"][QUOTE="Frame_Dragger"] This is philosophy, not psychology. Frame_Dragger

The notion of why people act in a charitable fashion has alrgely been the domain of philsophy, and while psychology is a tool to explore that its cconclusions are necessarily limited.

Psychology is the science of behavior and mental processes. Philosophy is the study of general and fundamental problems, such as those connected with existence, knowledge, values, reason, mind, and language.
Nayef_shroof

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#166 Nayef_shroof
Member since 2011 • 709 Posts

[QUOTE="Nayef_shroof"]

[QUOTE="Riverwolf007"] lol, speaking of the middle ages, it was the Islamic empires that were progressing for humanity while europe was in a state of barbarity... I dont understand what the problem is? I myself wouldn't like Sharia law to be imposed, but im just trying to elaborate on specifics. 2: For you to be proven guilty to th[QUOTE="SpartanMSU"]

[QUOTE="Nayef_shroof"]

[QUOTE="Riverwolf007"]

lol, where do you want to start?

1: death sentence for ridiculing the big mo?

2: lopping off body parts?

3: beating your wife?

4: death sentence for apostates?

5: jihad?

6: whipping/stoning unmarried fornicators?

7: executing homosexuals?

8: crucifixion?

yeah, lets bring all that back.

pfft, what's wrong with sharia? you gotta be kidding me.

SpartanMSU

2: You only get "your body parts lopped off" when you commit crimes of significance, such as stealing something of high value (Result being your hand cut off), or if you murder/rape someone (Punishment being, if proven overwhelmingly guilty, death)

3: Its against sharia law to abuse your wife. It is said that if she exact high handedness upon the husband and he decides to hit her, he cannot cause any bruises, bleeding, are injuries to sensitive areas of the body. It is also one of the largest sins to commit in sharia

4: That is not allowed...In older times (Centuries ago), apostasy was considered a form of treason, and treason was punishable by death, not apostasy.

5: Jihad means the inner struggle, so I dont understand what your talking about...

6: There is no stoning, just whipping

7: Homosexuals are punished when they display blatant acts of homosexuality in public, meaning that homosexuals can be homosexuals in private and face the consequences in the after-life. The punishment is appointed for the judge to decide.

8: lolwut?

Yeah totally yo, for realz. Let's go back to the middle ages. I hate human progress. It sucks.

Speaking of the middle ages, it was Islamic countries who were progressing while Europe was in a state of barbarity. Let me elaborate quickly on some points. 1: Thats completely untrue 2: You have to be proven guilty by at least 2 witnesses stating that you stole something of very high value for the sake of pure profit. Meaning, if you stole something because you needed to (Lets say your family is starving), you would not be punished by having your body parts "lopped off" 3: Like I said, its against sharia law to abuse your wife, and if you do hit your wife (Which isn't allowed) you cannot cause any bruises, bleeding or injury to sensitive areas. The you'll have to deal with the consequences 4: Again, that was instituted LONG ago (Centuries ago) and has long been revised. Apostasy is not considered a form of treason, and it isn't punishable by death. 5: Again, Jihad means the inner struggle, so I dont understand whats the problem 6: You need 4 witnesses to prove that the fornicators are guilty (Which is virtually impossible) and is only punishable by a whipping. 7: Homosexuals are punished when they display blatant acts of homosexuality in public, meaning that homosexuals can be homosexuals in private and face the consequences in the after-life. The punishment is appointed for the judge to decide.

mayceV

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 20

#167 mayceV
Member since 2008 • 4633 Posts

[QUOTE="ZombieKiller7"]

All hypocrits.

Freedom is only anarchy.

No accepting Islam means you accept the 5 pilars of Islam and believe that prophet Muahmmad PBUH is the las prophet and that the Quran is a holy book ment to guide you to a happy afterlife. Hadith were'nt added on they are a part of the message. Hadith are a times just as important as the Quran such as the Godly hadith that were actual words of God that weren't included in the Quran. Now I agree scholars are...like bickering kids and there is contraversy on every topic but if you read the confirmed hadith namely the Godly ones with the Quran Islam tarts to take shape the Quran and Sunna= Islam. Stating that there is only one god and muhammad is his messenger will make yo a muslim but muslims can go to hell if they don't follow Islam correctly. The deepest part of hell is for liars and hypocrites- people who state thier muslims but don't follow islam get the worst punishment in the afterlife. So no it isn't like christianity in the way that if you cjust state a sentence you are aved.Also yo can't convert to Islam on your deathbed. Time to convert is durring life not right before death. And dhimis are at the same level as believers why are you so intent on trying to disprove that? muslims were snetenced to death for killing dihmis dhimis had the same exact legal status as muslims as long ast they payed Jiya. Don't go back to the eye for an eye I'm telling you that it isn't requied under sharia.
Frame_Dragger

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#169 Frame_Dragger

[QUOTE="Frame_Dragger"][QUOTE="Victorious_fize"]

MayceV

No accepting Islam means you accept the 5 pilars of Islam and believe that prophet Muahmmad PBUH is the las prophet and that the Quran is a holy book ment to guide you to a happy afterlife. Hadith were'nt added on they are a part of the message. Hadith are a times just as important as the Quran such as the Godly hadith that were actual words of God that weren't included in the Quran. Now I agree scholars are...like bickering kids and there is contraversy on every topic but if you read the confirmed hadith namely the Godly ones with the Quran Islam tarts to take shape the Quran and Sunna= Islam. Stating that there is only one god and muhammad is his messenger will make yo a muslim but muslims can go to hell if they don't follow Islam correctly. The deepest part of hell is for liars and hypocrites- people who state thier muslims but don't follow islam get the worst punishment in the afterlife. So no it isn't like christianity in the way that if you cjust state a sentence you are aved.Also yo can't convert to Islam on your deathbed. Time to convert is durring life not right before death. And dhimis are at the same level as believers why are you so intent on trying to disprove that? muslims were snetenced to death for killing dihmis dhimis had the same exact legal status as muslims as long ast they payed Jiya. Don't go back to the eye for an eye I'm telling you that it isn't requied under sharia.

Really? "If a man (in a battle) is attacking a kafir with a spear, and it has reached his throat, and at that moment he says 'There is no god but God', the Muslim must immediately withdraw his spear" (Hadith...I don't know which).

All someone needs to become a Muslim is Shahadah; if someone states, witnessed and truly means it when they declare, "'ashhadu ʾan lā ʾilaha ʾilla Allah, wa ʾashhadu ʾanna Muhammadan rasulu Allah." That is the MOMENT they become Muslim. It is the moment that harming that person is an act of kufr, and while they may not be a very good Muslim having not observed the pillars, etc... he's still a Muslim. Your own view of when to convert is fine, but Muhammed disagreed with you about the status of one who converts before death; it's not your mercy or judgement being sought, but god's.

I don't believe this, obviously, being agnostic and not of your faith, but it's not exactly unclear. If a person has an epiphany before death and makes a true declaration, who are you to judge? Scholars have since decided on what is a truly SINCERE shahadah, but that is all about people and not the Quran or god. You could be condemned on earth, and after death you're still judged by?... riiiiight. You could be praised on earth for sincerity, but then judged after death to be... exaaactly.

There's a fine greek word for what you're doing in your fist statement: Hubris.

LJS9502_basic

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#170 LJS9502_basic
Member since 2003 • 178865 Posts
Frame_Dragger
Dude fix the quotes. I did not say any of that. I haven't studied Islam so I wouldn't presume to speak for the religion.
Frame_Dragger

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#171 Frame_Dragger

[QUOTE="Frame_Dragger"]LJS9502_basic
Dude fix the quotes. I did not say any of that. I haven't studied Islam so I wouldn't presume to speak for the religion.

ARRRRGGHHHHH!!!!! *kicks GS in the junk* Yes... of course not... I don't even know how that could happen!

edit: Fixed... in fact EVERYONE had been misquoted, and you weren't even involved. I think the GS boards sometimes forget to take their medications.

peter1191

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#172 peter1191
Member since 2005 • 591 Posts

In a sense there is nothing wrong with Sharia. For its time it was a valid way of organizing society during and following the rise of Muhammad. The question is, as always, if it remains relevant to today's needs. As a Christian I prefer Jesus and St. Paul's method of approaching issues, i.e. "leave unto Caesar what is Caesar's." The laws of the land are just that, the laws of the land. THe laws that each and every individual follows (not the letter of the laws, but the attitude of the spirit of the laws, "christian behavior") is determined by religion. THis appears to be an innovation in Christianity that prevents its morals from oppressing the state (despite what haters would say) and allows it to thrive and continue. Jesus made it clear when he said that "my kingdom is not of this world." When you combine the state and religion, or law and religion, all you get is a mess where religion and the law both suffer. Sharia is a tight connection between religion and the law, and thus opposing the law is like opposing religion, and often times changes in society require changes in law. See where I am going here? Sharia is "bad" precisely because it sets out to combine two things that the West has wisely separated for centuries. This division was never present in Islam and hence the current struggles in the middle east. Thats not to say that the Catholic church has not resisted its loss of physical power, but then again it is precisely this addiction to power and "divine right" that make the state and religion a potent and dangerous mix.

HoolaHoopMan

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#173 HoolaHoopMan
Member since 2009 • 14724 Posts

DroidPhysX
I guess that depends on how you view women's role in society.
Victorious_Fize

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#174 Victorious_Fize
[QUOTE="DroidPhysX"]

HoolaHoopMan

Equal? *shifts eyes*
DroidPhysX

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#175 DroidPhysX
[QUOTE="HoolaHoopMan"][QUOTE="DroidPhysX"]

Victorious_Fize

Equal? *shifts eyes*

Joking right?
Victorious_Fize

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#176 Victorious_Fize
[QUOTE="DroidPhysX"][QUOTE="Victorious_Fize"][QUOTE="HoolaHoopMan"] I guess that depends on how you view women's role in society.

Equal? *shifts eyes*

Joking right?

"*shifts eyes*"
HoolaHoopMan

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#177 HoolaHoopMan
[QUOTE="HoolaHoopMan"][QUOTE="DroidPhysX"]

Victorious_Fize

Equal? *shifts eyes*

Take a good look at women's role in Muslim societies. They're anything but equal.
Victorious_Fize

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#178 Victorious_Fize
[QUOTE="HoolaHoopMan"][QUOTE="Victorious_Fize"][QUOTE="HoolaHoopMan"] I guess that depends on how you view women's role in society.

Equal? *shifts eyes*

Take a good look at women's role in Muslim societies. They're anything but equal.

Care to name a few? You know, to examine the countries and all.
zAhMaDz

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#179 zAhMaDz
Member since 2009 • 99 Posts
[QUOTE="HoolaHoopMan"][QUOTE="Victorious_Fize"][QUOTE="HoolaHoopMan"] I guess that depends on how you view women's role in society.

Equal? *shifts eyes*

You do realize that women were veiled in the Middle East long before the time of the Islamic expansion, correct? And, not to mention the Muhammad said that heaven is under the feet of your mother. O, and there were female warriors in Islamic armies too.
HoolaHoopMan

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#180 HoolaHoopMan
[QUOTE="Victorious_Fize"][QUOTE="HoolaHoopMan"][QUOTE="Victorious_Fize"] Equal? *shifts eyes*

You're first example, Saudi Arabia. Do I really need to elaborate or will you actually try and defend their laws restricting women?
HoolaHoopMan

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#181 HoolaHoopMan
[QUOTE="zAhMaDz"][QUOTE="HoolaHoopMan"][QUOTE="Victorious_Fize"] Equal? *shifts eyes*

You do realize that women were veiled in the Middle East long before the time of the Islamic expansion, correct? And, not to mention the Muhammad said that heaven is under the feet of your mother. O, and there were female warriors in Islamic armies too.

This is the 21st century, not the 9th. I don't care what middle east customs were practiced a thousand years ago. The western world has shrugged off the vast majority of gender inequalities that plagued it pre 20th, why can't the Muslim world?
zAhMaDz

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#182 zAhMaDz
[QUOTE="HoolaHoopMan"][QUOTE="Victorious_Fize"][QUOTE="HoolaHoopMan"] Take a good look at women's role in Muslim societies. They're anything but equal.

You're first example, Saudi Arabia. Do I really need to elaborate or will you actually try and defend their laws restricting women?

Saudi Arabia =/= Islam
zAhMaDz

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#183 zAhMaDz
[QUOTE="HoolaHoopMan"][QUOTE="zAhMaDz"][QUOTE="HoolaHoopMan"] Take a good look at women's role in Muslim societies. They're anything but equal.

This is the 21st century, not the 9th. I don't care what middle east customs were practiced a thousand years ago. The western world has shrugged off the vast majority of gender inequalities that plagued it pre 20th, why can't the Muslim world?

Because the Middle East hasn't really had social reform like the West has.
Victorious_Fize

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#184 Victorious_Fize

[QUOTE="Victorious_Fize"][QUOTE="HoolaHoopMan"] Take a good look at women's role in Muslim societies. They're anything but equal. HoolaHoopMan

^ are you implying Saudi Arabia is actually Islamic and does not utilize the religion in a hypocritical sense to capture the demographic for Al Saud to stay in charge?

Avatar image for deactivated-6127ced9bcba0
deactivated-6127ced9bcba0

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#185 deactivated-6127ced9bcba0
Member since 2006 • 31700 Posts

You're first example, Saudi Arabia. Do I really need to elaborate or will you actually try and defend their laws restricting women? HoolaHoopMan

Oh this will be good.

HoolaHoopMan

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#186 HoolaHoopMan
[QUOTE="zAhMaDz"][QUOTE="HoolaHoopMan"][QUOTE="Victorious_Fize"] Care to name a few? You know, to examine the countries and all.

Saudi Arabia =/= Islam

I didn't say it was. He told me to mention an example of a Muslim country that has large gender inequalities, I did.
DroidPhysX

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#187 DroidPhysX

[QUOTE="HoolaHoopMan"]You're first example, Saudi Arabia. Do I really need to elaborate or will you actually try and defend their laws restricting women? airshocker

Oh this will be good.

Yes it will.
SaudiFury

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 12

User Lists: 1

#188 SaudiFury
Member since 2007 • 8709 Posts

[QUOTE="HoolaHoopMan"][QUOTE="Victorious_Fize"] Care to name a few? You know, to examine the countries and all.Victorious_Fize

^ are you implying Saudi Arabia is actually Islamic and does not utilize the religion in a hypocritical sense to capture the demographic for Al Saud to stay in charge?

heh... reminds me of when Prince Salman said the country is ruled by Islam. and some of the commentators (including myself) were saying "so Islam is whatever your gonna say it is"
Victorious_Fize

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#189 Victorious_Fize

[QUOTE="zAhMaDz"][QUOTE="HoolaHoopMan"] Take a good look at women's role in Muslim societies. They're anything but equal. HoolaHoopMan

Umm, how does time devalue something again? Especially if it's a social aspect and many approve of it? Avicenna's work (midcine, 9th century) was used up until the 18th century.

zAhMaDz

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#190 zAhMaDz
[QUOTE="HoolaHoopMan"][QUOTE="zAhMaDz"][QUOTE="HoolaHoopMan"] You're first example, Saudi Arabia. Do I really need to elaborate or will you actually try and defend their laws restricting women?

Saudi Arabia =/= Islam

I didn't say it was. He told me to mention an example of a Muslim country that has large gender inequalities, I did.

Do you really think Islam is the reason why Saudi Arabia is like this?
HoolaHoopMan

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#191 HoolaHoopMan

[QUOTE="HoolaHoopMan"][QUOTE="Victorious_Fize"] Care to name a few? You know, to examine the countries and all.Victorious_Fize

Bringing out the "No true Scotsman" a bit early are we? Saudi Arabia is an Islamic country with a history of discrimination towards women. I gave you a prime example. You want another one? Its not hard to find gender inequality in the middle east.
DroidPhysX

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#192 DroidPhysX
[QUOTE="HoolaHoopMan"][QUOTE="zAhMaDz"][QUOTE="HoolaHoopMan"] You're first example, Saudi Arabia. Do I really need to elaborate or will you actually try and defend their laws restricting women?

Saudi Arabia =/= Islam

Should of asked "name a muslim country that defends womens rights?" And then said: "That country =/= islam"
HoolaHoopMan

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#193 HoolaHoopMan

[QUOTE="HoolaHoopMan"][QUOTE="zAhMaDz"] Saudi Arabia =/= IslamzAhMaDz

Its a large part, yes. Nothing is ever black and white, and most times culture and Religion go hand in hand. Its naive to think that Islam doesn't have a hand in their out dated sexist laws.

HoolaHoopMan

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#194 HoolaHoopMan

Umm, how does time devalue something again? Especially if it's a social aspect and many approve of it? Avicenna's work (midcine, 9th century) was used up until the 18th century.

Victorious_Fize

You're straying away from the subject. We're not discussing the history of gender inequality in Muslim countries, just that they exist. Do you disagree that they do?

zAhMaDz

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#195 zAhMaDz

[QUOTE="zAhMaDz"][QUOTE="HoolaHoopMan"] I didn't say it was. He told me to mention an example of a Muslim country that has large gender inequalities, I did. HoolaHoopMan

Its a large part, yes. Nothing is ever black and white, and most times culture and Religion go hand in hand. Its naive to think that Islam doesn't have a hand in their out dated sexist laws.

So you think Islam has more influence on these sexist laws (which completely contradict sayings of Muhammad as well as the Quran) rather than the fact that society in Saudi Arabia has long been patriarchal?

HoolaHoopMan

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#196 HoolaHoopMan

So you think Islam has more influence on these sexist laws (which completely contradict sayings of Muhammad as well as the Quran) rather than the fact that society in Saudi Arabia has long been patriarchal?

zAhMaDz

Can't we be realistic and say both? Islam does have an effect on Saudi Arabia, to an extremely large extent. Like I said, its naive to think otherwise. Its a theocracy.

HoolaHoopMan

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#197 HoolaHoopMan

Should of asked "name a muslim country that defends womens rights?" And then said: "That country =/= islam"DroidPhysX

Oh that's easy....well...um...Turkey?

Avatar image for deactivated-6127ced9bcba0
deactivated-6127ced9bcba0

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#198 deactivated-6127ced9bcba0
Member since 2006 • 31700 Posts

HoolaHoopMan

Turkish women are gorgeous. That was a very pleasant visit for me.

zAhMaDz

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#199 zAhMaDz

[QUOTE="zAhMaDz"]

HoolaHoopMan

Can't we be realistic and say both? Islam does have an effect on Saudi Arabia, to an extremely large extent. Like I said, its naive to think otherwise. Its a theocracy.

It's pretty obvious that all laws that are sexist completely contradict what is said in the Quran as women are considered equal to men. It's supported in countless verses in the Quran, i'm sure you wouldn't have trouble finding any. So, isn't it naive to completely ignore what is actually said in the Quran and then base your arguments on a country that, let's be honest, is an extremely poor representation of Islam itself?
HoolaHoopMan

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#200 HoolaHoopMan

[QUOTE="HoolaHoopMan"]

airshocker

Turkish women are gorgeous. That was a very pleasant visit for me.

I have some friends that lived in Istanbul for a few years. They say the same about the women and they loved the city.