What's wrong with Sharia?

This topic is locked from further discussion.

HoolaHoopMan

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

#201 HoolaHoopMan
Member since 2009 • 14724 Posts
[QUOTE="HoolaHoopMan"]

[QUOTE="zAhMaDz"]

So you think Islam has more influence on these sexist laws (which completely contradict sayings of Muhammad as well as the Quran) rather than the fact that society in Saudi Arabia has long been patriarchal?

zAhMaDz

Can't we be realistic and say both? Islam does have an effect on Saudi Arabia, to an extremely large extent. Like I said, its naive to think otherwise. Its a theocracy.

It's pretty obvious that all laws that are sexist completely contradict what is said in the Quran as women are considered equal to men. It's supported in countless verses in the Quran, i'm sure you wouldn't have trouble finding any. So, isn't it naive to completely ignore what is actually said in the Quran and then base your arguments on a country that, let's be honest, is an extremely poor representation of Islam itself?

And yet millions of Muslims would vehemently disagree with you, again we're getting into No True Scotsman territory. Claiming one another aren't 'true' Muslims or that they aren't interpreting things correctly. Why don't you do me a favor, what country would be a GOOD representation of what Islam represents? It seems that every answer I'm going to give you will be met with the same dodge techniques. If we take a good look at the vast majority of predominately Muslim nations they have the same tendency to keep women in subordinate roles and limit their personal freedoms.
zAhMaDz

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

#202 zAhMaDz
Member since 2009 • 99 Posts

[QUOTE="zAhMaDz"][QUOTE="HoolaHoopMan"]

Can't we be realistic and say both? Islam does have an effect on Saudi Arabia, to an extremely large extent. Like I said, its naive to think otherwise. Its a theocracy.

HoolaHoopMan

It's pretty obvious that all laws that are sexist completely contradict what is said in the Quran as women are considered equal to men. It's supported in countless verses in the Quran, i'm sure you wouldn't have trouble finding any. So, isn't it naive to completely ignore what is actually said in the Quran and then base your arguments on a country that, let's be honest, is an extremely poor representation of Islam itself?

And yet millions of Muslims would vehemently disagree with you, again we're getting into No True Scotsman territory. Claiming one another aren't 'true' Muslims or that they aren't interpreting things correctly. Why don't you do me a favor, what country would be a GOOD representation of what Islam represents? It seems that every answer I'm going to give you will be met with the same dodge techniques. If we take a good look at the vast majority of predominately Muslim nations they have the same tendency to keep women in subordinate roles and limit their personal freedoms.

I'm sure millions Christians, Jews, athiests, etc. would disagree with me too. What's your point? No country is a good representation of what Islam represents. Saudi Arabia, Iran, etc. all fuse their own cultural beliefs and create their own version of Islam, which is not the same Islam in the Quran. Once again, you seem to be ignoring the fact that the reason why most Muslim nations seem to have sexist laws is because of the influence of their cultural history (long, before Islam), rather than Islam itself.

Harisemo

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#203 Harisemo
Member since 2010 • 4133 Posts

[QUOTE="HoolaHoopMan"][QUOTE="Victorious_Fize"] Care to name a few? You know, to examine the countries and all.Victorious_Fize

You're first example, Saudi Arabia. Do I really need to elaborate or will you actually try and defend their laws restricting women?

^ are you implying Saudi Arabia is actually Islamic and does not utilize the religion in a hypocritical sense to capture the demographic for Al Saud to stay in charge?

In a true islamic country, would the law allow a women to be a prostitute?

DroidPhysX

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#204 DroidPhysX
Member since 2010 • 17098 Posts

[QUOTE="HoolaHoopMan"][QUOTE="zAhMaDz"] It's pretty obvious that all laws that are sexist completely contradict what is said in the Quran as women are considered equal to men. It's supported in countless verses in the Quran, i'm sure you wouldn't have trouble finding any. So, isn't it naive to completely ignore what is actually said in the Quran and then base your arguments on a country that, let's be honest, is an extremely poor representation of Islam itself?zAhMaDz

I'm sure millions Christians, Jews, athiests, etc. would disagree with me too. What's your point? No country is a good representation of what Islam represents. Saudi Arabia, Iran, etc. all fuse their own cultural beliefs and create their own version of Islam, which is not the same Islam in the Quran. Once again, you seem to be ignoring the fact that the reason why most Muslim nations seem to have sexist laws is because of the influence of their cultural history (long, before Islam), rather than Islam itself.

I think you're being too generous.
HoolaHoopMan

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#205 HoolaHoopMan

zAhMaDz

And that cultural history is predominately influenced by Islam. Cultures are shaped, birthed, and evolve from the beliefs and customs of the people, and people's customs and beliefs are influenced by their religion.

You cannot separate the two completely.

Avatar image for Victorious_Fize
Victorious_Fize

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#206 Victorious_Fize
Member since 2011 • 6128 Posts

[QUOTE="Victorious_Fize"]

[QUOTE="HoolaHoopMan"] You're first example, Saudi Arabia. Do I really need to elaborate or will you actually try and defend their laws restricting women? HoolaHoopMan

^ are you implying Saudi Arabia is actually Islamic and does not utilize the religion in a hypocritical sense to capture the demographic for Al Saud to stay in charge?

Bringing out the "No true Scotsman" a bit early are we? Saudi Arabia is an Islamic country with a history of discrimination towards women. I gave you a prime example. You want another one? Its not hard to find gender inequality in the middle east.

Bringing out the association fallacy a bit early too it seems. But you're right, Islam is foreign to "gender equality" in general, I think we have a gender problem, but it's definitely not because of apparent inequality, it's the apparent inequality of men over women, and to me, that's an extremely serious issue. There are plenty of factors for this. In any rate, would you like to show me the verses that support this inequality in the fashion Saudi Arabia employs?

DroidPhysX

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#207 DroidPhysX

Tempted to ask about rights of gays

Victorious_Fize

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#208 Victorious_Fize

[QUOTE="HoolaHoopMan"] You're first example, Saudi Arabia. Do I really need to elaborate or will you actually try and defend their laws restricting women? Harisemo

No.

Victorious_Fize

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#209 Victorious_Fize

DroidPhysX
We're pretty similar to Christianity and Judaism on that.
Harisemo

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#210 Harisemo

[QUOTE="Harisemo"]

Victorious_Fize

No.

Then in Islam women is not free.

HoolaHoopMan

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#211 HoolaHoopMan

Bringing out the association fallacy a bit early too it seems. But you're right, Islam is foreign to "gender equality" in general, I think we have a gender problem, but it's definitely not because of apparent inequality, it's the apparent inequality of men over women. There are plenty of factors for this. In any rate, would you like to show me the verses that support this inequality in the fashion Saudi Arabia employs?Victorious_Fize

What, you want me to quote sexist verses from the Quaran now? Its in the same ring with the Bible and Torah, there are plenty of sexist verses that people will use to justify laws limiting the freedom of women.

But I can already tell you the outcome, you'll simply dismiss them or state that they're being interpretted incorrectly. Not 'True' Islam right?

Or perhaps, just perhaps, the texts supporting the Abrahamic religions contain some pretty sexist stuff.

HoolaHoopMan

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#212 HoolaHoopMan
[QUOTE="DroidPhysX"]

Victorious_Fize

How about apostasy?
DroidPhysX

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#213 DroidPhysX

[QUOTE="DroidPhysX"]

Victorious_Fize

Is that your interpretation?

Victorious_Fize

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#214 Victorious_Fize

[QUOTE="Victorious_Fize"] Bringing out the association fallacy a bit early too it seems. But you're right, Islam is foreign to "gender equality" in general, I think we have a gender problem, but it's definitely not because of apparent inequality, it's the apparent inequality of men over women. There are plenty of factors for this. In any rate, would you like to show me the verses that support this inequality in the fashion Saudi Arabia employs?HoolaHoopMan

What, you want me to quote sexist verses from the Quaran now? Its in the same ring with the Bible and Torah, there are plenty of sexist verses that people will use to justify laws limiting the freedom of women.

But I can already tell you the outcome, you'll simply dismiss them or state that they're being interpretted incorrectly. Not 'True' Islam right?

Or perhaps, just perhaps, the texts supporting the Abrahamic religions contain some pretty sexist stuff.

No, I want some from the Quran, not the Torah nor Bible, I don't want what you consider to be sexist or not, I want verses specifically supporting the example you used as an Islamic tenet. And yes, I will dismiss them if they are not valid or taken out of context. I've seen that a few times.

Victorious_Fize

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#215 Victorious_Fize
[QUOTE="HoolaHoopMan"][QUOTE="Victorious_Fize"][QUOTE="DroidPhysX"] No idea, they're pretty silent on that.
[QUOTE="Victorious_Fize"][QUOTE="DroidPhysX"]

DroidPhysX

Is that you're interpretation?

Yes, is it wrong?
Harisemo

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#216 Harisemo

No, I want some from the Quran, not the Torah nor Bible, I don't want what you consider to be sexist or not, I want verses specifically supporting the example you used as an Islamic tenet. And yes, I will dismiss them if they are not valid or taken out of context. I've seen that a few times.

Victorious_Fize

Quran says women should be obedient to their husbands. sexist stuff right there.

Victorious_Fize

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#217 Victorious_Fize

[QUOTE="Harisemo"]

Harisemo

No.

ok, that was unexpected lol. XD

I doubt a lot of women do it had they had the money not to, so it's pretty immoral alright, regardless of teachings of a specific religion.

DroidPhysX

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#218 DroidPhysX

Harisemo

Quran says women should be obedient to their husbands. sexist stuff right there.

So in essence, they should submit to their husbands.
Victorious_Fize

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#219 Victorious_Fize

Harisemo

And sons/daughters to favour mothers three times their fathers. Pretty unequal.

DroidPhysX

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#220 DroidPhysX

Yes, is it wrong?Victorious_Fize

That was my point. Interpretations are up for debate.

Frame_Dragger

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#221 Frame_Dragger
Member since 2009 • 9581 Posts

[QUOTE="zAhMaDz"]

HoolaHoopMan

And that cultural history is predominately influenced by Islam. Cultures are shaped, birthed, and evolve from the beliefs and customs of the people, and people's customs and beliefs are influenced by their religion.

You cannot separate the two completely.

You get bonus points for pointing out the 'No True Sctosman' fallacy in the preceeding post. Irony lives!!!

Bringing out the association fallacy a bit early too it seems. But you're right, Islam is foreign to "gender equality" in general, I think we have a gender problem, but it's definitely not because of apparent inequality, it's the apparent inequality of men over women, and to me, that's an extremely serious issue. There are plenty of factors for this. In any rate, would you like to show me the verses that support this inequality in the fashion Saudi Arabia employs?Victorious_Fize

This may be THE problem with Sharia, as pointed out by others; it mixes religion with the law of the land. Christianity and Judaism both have men ruling women, but neither come packaged wtih a legal framework to take that from the church or synagogue to the streets. Sharia is that conduit through which the bickerings of scholars, the vagueries of culture and the religion itself can move beyond the stage of INFLUENCING a culture, to ruling it. That, is the problem with Sharia. Same with rights for gay people, and other elements of personal expression; it's not JUST women getting the short end of the stick here.

Harisemo

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#222 Harisemo

[QUOTE="Harisemo"]

No.

Victorious_Fize

ok, that was unexpected lol. XD

I doubt a lot of women do it had they had the money not to, so it's pretty immoral alright, regardless of teachings of a specific religion.

Definitely not "immoral" in west.

Victorious_Fize

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#223 Victorious_Fize

[QUOTE="Victorious_Fize"]Yes, is it wrong?DroidPhysX

Homosexuality is a crime that can be punishable by death in its greatest extent in all three religions. What's to debate about that?
DroidPhysX

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#224 DroidPhysX

[QUOTE="DroidPhysX"]

[QUOTE="Victorious_Fize"]Yes, is it wrong?Victorious_Fize

Homosexuality is a crime that can be punishable by death in its greatest extent in all three religions. What's to debate about that?

Are you against gay rights? That's the problem with religion. It clouts judgement. IMO before the mods come.

Frame_Dragger

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#225 Frame_Dragger

[QUOTE="Harisemo"]

So kids should love their mothers, which they already do, and women should be obedient, which is a stretch from the natural state. Yeah... that's like me asking you for $100 because I'm me, and offering you the ability to choose your own username. You could do that already, and they're not related anyway... it's a kind of fallacy.
Harisemo

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#226 Harisemo

[QUOTE="Harisemo"]

Victorious_Fize

doesn't change the fact islam is sexist when it comes to husband and wife relation

Frame_Dragger

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#227 Frame_Dragger

Yes, is it wrong?Victorious_Fize

...Because Sharia is the law of the state and religion... if you kill someone for that in the USA, UK, AU, Russia, etc... you can believe what you want... you're still going to jail. The law of the state is based on principles of justice, right and wrong, that are NOT religious. It's one reason why you have the fight between Christian fundies here in the USA to retard societal and judicial progress. Our laws are clear, but prejudice remains; how much longer would it remain if the law AGREED with that prejudice down to the ground?!
Victorious_Fize

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#228 Victorious_Fize

[QUOTE="Harisemo"]

Harisemo

doesn't change the fact islam is sexist when it comes to husband and wife relation

My dad's a sheikh, and back when she used to, my mom literally threw knifes at him all the time. Poor mom...

Harisemo

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#229 Harisemo

[QUOTE="DroidPhysX"]

Quran says punish homosexuals until they repent so no, homosexuality is not punishable by death in Islam though I may be wrong but I'm pretty sure.

HoolaHoopMan

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#230 HoolaHoopMan

And yes, I will dismiss them if they are not valid or taken out of context. I've seen that a few times.

Victorious_Fize

Oh how convenient. How about something easy and simple, perhaps laws pertaining to dress codes?

"Tell the believing men to lower their gaze and to be mindful of their chastity: this will be most conducive to their purity - (and,) verily, God is aware of all that they do. And tell the believing women to lower their gaze and to be mindful of their chastity, and not to display their charms beyond what may be apparent thereof; hence let them draw their head-coverings over their bosoms.(24:30-31)"

Those who harass believing men and believing women undeservedly, bear (on themselves) a calumny and a grievous sin. O Prophet! Enjoin your wives, your daughters, and the wives of true believers that they should cast their outer garments over their persons (when abroad): That is most convenient, that they may be distinguished and not be harassed. [...] (Quran33:58–59)

2 simple verses that many countries, cities, persons etc use to justify the requirement of the hijab or similar garment.

Edit: Are they right in their interpretation? Maybe, maybe not. The Quran is however a source that is commonly used in Muslim societies to create and shape law.

Victorious_Fize

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#231 Victorious_Fize

DroidPhysX

Are you against gay rights? That's the problem with religion. It clouts judgement.

No, but I'm not in favour either.
peter1191

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#232 peter1191
Member since 2005 • 591 Posts
[QUOTE="DroidPhysX"]

Quick rebuttal: there is no such thing as "punishable by death" in Christianity. Sure the Jews in the times of ancient Israel had laws to that effect, but Christians do not execute punishment via killing (or at least should not). Although I am not a catholic, I know catholics in the USA oppose abortion and capital punishment and all things related to humans killing or terminating other humans. Homosexuality, while frowned upon by the majority of the christian community, is not punishable by death.
Harisemo

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#233 Harisemo

My dad's a sheikh, and back when she used to, my mom literally threw knifes at him all the time. Poor mom...

Victorious_Fize

So? that simply means your mom is not following Quran and this still doesnt change the fact Quran is sexist.

Victorious_Fize

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#234 Victorious_Fize

And yes, I will dismiss them if they are not valid or taken out of context. I've seen that a few times.

HoolaHoopMan

Oh how convenient. How about something easy and simple, perhaps laws pertaining to dress codes?

"Tell the believing men to lower their gaze and to be mindful of their chastity: this will be most conducive to their purity - (and,) verily, God is aware of all that they do. And tell the believing women to lower their gaze and to be mindful of their chastity, and not to display their charms beyond what may be apparent thereof; hence let them draw their head-coverings over their bosoms.(24:30-31)"

Those who harass believing men and believing women undeservedly, bear (on themselves) a calumny and a grievous sin. O Prophet! Enjoin your wives, your daughters, and the wives of true believers that they should cast their outer garments over their persons (when abroad): That is most convenient, that they may be distinguished and not be harassed. [...] (Quran33:58–59)

2 simple verses that many countries, cities, persons etc use to justify the requirement of the hijab or similar garment.

That is sexist? :?

It commands both genders to abstain from lustful thinking, women obviously having the burden to wear conservative clothing, oh, you can't see women's hair and revealing clothes, the horror. Which, by the way, reaffirms Islam's stance on AA and special privileges for women in other respects.

Frame_Dragger

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#235 Frame_Dragger

Homosexuality is a crime that can be punishable by death in its greatest extent in all three religions. What's to debate about that?Victorious_Fize
Are you against gay rights? That's the problem with religion. It clouts judgement.

No, but I'm not in favour either.

Rights are funny things... they're one of the only things in fact, that allow for the old, "if you're not with them, you're against them" standard. Usually that's the epitome of a false dilemma, but how exactly are you neither for or against a right? If you're not for them, you may not be for restrictions, but you're also NOT for freedoms. You can be against a specific set of rights, or rights movement, but if you're not FOR the right TO BE something, and there is no intermediate state... you're against it. If you're not for gay people existing legally, you're against them existing legally. You may not want them dead, or whipped, but you are against their fundamental rights.

It's like having a penny... if you declare that you don't have one, that is the pure state of your "penny ownership".
peter1191

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#236 peter1191

Harisemo

So? that simply means your mom is not following Quran and this still doesnt change the fact Quran is sexist.

Also I am not a Muslim (I am a Christian) but in their defense Muhammad ended perverted practices by local tribes, such as female genital mutilation, and did in fact raise the status of women in his time. Islam still holds the man above the women in terms of intelligence (I heard a verse from the Quran to that effect) but I can't be an authority on that subject one way or another.
Frame_Dragger

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#237 Frame_Dragger
[QUOTE="peter1191"][QUOTE="Harisemo"]

Also I am not a Muslim (I am a Christian) but in their defense Muhammad ended perverted practices by local tribes, such as female genital mutilation, and did in fact raise the status of women in his time. Islam still holds the man above the women in terms of intelligence (I heard a verse from the Quran to that effect) but I can't be an authority on that subject one way or another.

So, if I stop someone from beating you to death, is it ok if I rape you?
HoolaHoopMan

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#238 HoolaHoopMan

It commands both genders to abstain from lustful thinking, women obviously having the burden to wear conservative clothing, oh, you can't see women's hair and revealing clothes, the horror. Which, by the way, reaffirms Islam's stance on AA and special privileges for women in other respects.

Victorious_Fize

Its sexist in the framswork from which I was arguing, that people use those verses in order to enact dress codes. I purposely picked something easy and simple, verses that call for women to cover up. At its base, requiring women to dress a certain way (and in many cases mandating it by law) is definately sexist.

Harisemo

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#239 Harisemo

Victorious_Fize

That is sexist by western standards. Women should be allowed to be naked if they wish

Victorious_Fize

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#240 Victorious_Fize

peter1191

Quick rebuttal: there is no such thing as "punishable by death" in Christianity. Sure the Jews in the times of ancient Israel had laws to that effect, but Christians do not execute punishment via killing (or at least should not). Although I am not a catholic, I know catholics in the USA oppose abortion and capital punishment and all things related to humans killing or terminating other humans. Homosexuality, while frowned upon by the majority of the christian community, is not punishable by death.

en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Uganda_Anti-Homosexuality_Bill You live in America, I live in a third world country that your America has a national interest in, but doesn't for Somalia and Southern Sudan, and above so, Uganda.

Welcome to third world countries Peter. You should see India or China, I'm sure you'll be in for a real treat.

Frame_Dragger

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#241 Frame_Dragger

[QUOTE="peter1191"][QUOTE="Victorious_Fize"] Homosexuality is a crime that can be punishable by death in its greatest extent in all three religions. What's to debate about that?Victorious_Fize

en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Uganda_Anti-Homosexuality_Bill You live in America, I live in a third world country that your America has a national interest in, but doesn't for Somalia and Southern Sudan, and above so, Uganda.

Welcome to third world countries Peter. You should see India or China, I'm sure you'll be in for a real treat.

You just moved the goalposts from the religions, to specific countries. Should we do the same for Islam?
peter1191

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#242 peter1191

[QUOTE="peter1191"][QUOTE="Harisemo"]

Frame_Dragger

So, if I stop someone from beating you to death, is it ok if I rape you?

I don't understand exactly what you mean, but I was trying to moderate the conversation. Islam has its positive and negative aspects from an outsider's point of view, and that is what I was trying to point out.

DroidPhysX

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#243 DroidPhysX

Harisemo

That is sexist by western standards. Women should be allowed to be naked if they wish

Using Saudi Arabias interpretation, women should be fully clothed to the max. Not sexist at all.
Victorious_Fize

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#244 Victorious_Fize

HoolaHoopMan

Its sexist in the framswork from which I was arguing, that people use those verses in order to enact dress codes. I purposely picked something easy and simple, verses that call for women to cover up. At its base, requiring women to dress a certain way (and in many cases mandating it by law) is definately sexist.

Such as? Saudi Arabia, right? Which brings us to the point that they utilize religion to appease public in order to maintain power, but you obviously think their Wahabism is derived from self righteousness and idealist family.
Frame_Dragger

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#245 Frame_Dragger
[QUOTE="Harisemo"]

It's sexist by definition; it's WRONG by western standards... do you understand the difference?
Victorious_Fize

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#246 Victorious_Fize
[QUOTE="Harisemo"]

DroidPhysX

Using Saudi Arabias interpretation, women should be fully clothed to the max. Not sexist at all.

Umm, no? Where did you hear that? You should visit Jeddah...
Harisemo

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#247 Harisemo

[QUOTE="Harisemo"]

Frame_Dragger

It's sexist by definition; it's WRONG by western standards... do you understand the difference?

no I don't

Frame_Dragger

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#248 Frame_Dragger
[QUOTE="Victorious_Fize"][QUOTE="HoolaHoopMan"]

Such as? Saudi Arabia, right? Which brings us to the point that they utilize religion to appease public in order to maintain power, but you obviously think their Wahabism is derived from self righteousness and idealist family.

Wait... so you're right about the death penalty because of Uganda, but Hoola is wrong about the clothing because of Saudi Arabia? Errrr.... :P
peter1191

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#249 peter1191

[QUOTE="peter1191"] Quick rebuttal: there is no such thing as "punishable by death" in Christianity. Sure the Jews in the times of ancient Israel had laws to that effect, but Christians do not execute punishment via killing (or at least should not). Although I am not a catholic, I know catholics in the USA oppose abortion and capital punishment and all things related to humans killing or terminating other humans. Homosexuality, while frowned upon by the majority of the christian community, is not punishable by death.Frame_Dragger

Listen, in the USA there is separation of church and state. What the state does cannot be blamed on the church (aka christians) and vice versa. Furthermore there is a danger in defining a country according to its predominate religious tradition, then applying that generalization to all people of that religion in other countries. I know the USA has done horrific things, but this has nothing to do with christianity.

Frame_Dragger

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#250 Frame_Dragger
[QUOTE="Harisemo"]

[QUOTE="Frame_Dragger"][QUOTE="Harisemo"]

no I don't

The defintion of sexism doesn't depend on a western interpretation, but above and beyond the sexism, in the west we ALSO think it's wrong to do that. To use an analogy: fish is "fishy" everywhere, but in Japan they enjoy the flavor. One is an issue of definiton according to the standard: treating one gender differently for reasons of gender. The other is holding that such treatment is right or wrong. We'd agree it's wrong, but EVERYONE, whether they agree with it or not, should agree that it's sexist.