Schoolgirl is 'trolled to death' at ask.fm

This topic is locked from further discussion.

loco145

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

#1 loco145
Member since 2006 • 12226 Posts

A 14-year-old schoolgirl killed herself after being bullied by online trolls who told her to 'drink bleach' and 'go get cancer'.

Hannah Smith, from Lutterworth, Leicestershire, was found dead on Friday after being sent abusive messages on controversial website Ask.fm.

Less than a fortnight before her body was found early last Friday, Hannah begged her tormentors who can hide behind a cloak of anonymity on the site to stop the abuse.

After a barrage of abuse Hannah posted the handwritten message: 'You think you want to die but in reality you just want to be saved' on the day before she died.

Her devastated parents posted the terrible news online and attacked the social media site for not doing more to tackle bullies and called for it to be banned.

Hannah's father Dave Smith wrote on Facebook: 'On Friday morning my daughter was found hanged last night i seen her ask fm account and someone had been telling her to die.

'The person that created this web site should be done for mansluaghter (sic) any parents that have children please dont (sic) let them go on this site.'

Dave also posted a picture of flowers outside the family home and a mantelpiece of condolence cards next to the comment: 'the new pics for ask.fm.'

The heartbroken father added: 'My heart is broken in 2 and is gonna take along time to repair i just hope that none of you have to go through the pain im goin through rite now and love u all.

Source.

konvikt_17

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#2 konvikt_17
Member since 2008 • 22378 Posts

people take things waayy too seriously.

i kinda dont really feel any sadness with stories like these anymore.

oh noes, an anonomous person was mean to me on the internet! i have nothing left to live for now!

Omni-Slash

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 7

#3 Omni-Slash
Member since 2003 • 54450 Posts
maybe the "Heartbroken parents" should have been know what the hell their 14 year old daughter was doing on that website.....
hydralisk86

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#4 hydralisk86
Member since 2006 • 8844 Posts

oh noes, an anonomous person was mean to me on the internet! i have nothing left to live for now!

konvikt_17
I think it could be more than that. Maybe that girl was already depressed, or had super low self esteem and was already thinking about suicide.
Wolfetan

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#5 Wolfetan
Member since 2010 • 7522 Posts

Grow up, schoolgirl.

N30F3N1X

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#6 N30F3N1X
Member since 2009 • 8923 Posts

Good. Natural selection at its finest.

Wolfetan

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#7 Wolfetan

konvikt_17
This also.
Capitan_Kid

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#8 Capitan_Kid
Member since 2009 • 6700 Posts
Sad to see OT still mocks the death of kids and acts like they deserve it
mAArdman

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#9 mAArdman
Member since 2003 • 1612 Posts

not the site's fault. those parents should have been watching her more closely. 

Jebus213

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#10 Jebus213
Member since 2010 • 10056 Posts

I don't feel sorry for her and I don't feel sorry for the parents.

konvikt_17

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#11 konvikt_17

'My heart is broken in 2 and is gonna take along time to repair i just hope that none of you have to go through the pain im goin through rite now and love u all.

seriously:|
at least use proper grammar/spell the words fully. you just lost your daughter ffs.
N30F3N1X

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#12 N30F3N1X

'My heart is broken in 2 and is gonna take along time to repair i just hope that none of you have to go through the pain im goin through rite now and love u all.

seriously:|
at least use proper grammar/spell the words fully. you just lost your daughter ffs.
konvikt_17

You insensitive bustard!!!11!

lostrib

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

#13 lostrib
Member since 2009 • 49999 Posts

It's not the website's fault

Jebus213

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#14 Jebus213

mAArdman

Somebody should have told her that you shouldn't take people you have never seen and never will see in your life over the Internet seriously.

Actually no, that should be common sense.

Nibroc420

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#16 Nibroc420
Member since 2007 • 13571 Posts

It's not the website's fault

lostrib
This. If someone tells you, over the f***ing internet, to drink a poisonous, caustic liquid; And you do it... It's your own fault. It's not like someone held a gun to her head.
Wolfetan

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#17 Wolfetan

[QUOTE="mAArdman"]

Jebus213

Somebody should have told her that you shouldn't take people you have never seen and never will see in your life over the Internet seriously.

Actually no, that should be common sense.

Hey, we agree, Jebus!
Legolas_Katarn

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 14

User Lists: 1

#18 Legolas_Katarn
Member since 2003 • 15556 Posts

'The person that created this web site should be done for mansluaghter (sic) any parents that have children please dont (sic) let them go on this site.'

Yeah, it's just like that time I walked into a restaurant chain. I killed the first person I saw, soon after the cops had arrested the owner and vice president for murder. The system works.

The heartbroken father added: 'My heart is broken in 2 and is gonna take along time to repair i just hope that none of you have to go through the pain im goin through rite now and love u all.

...For **** sake. If I was trying to write out a message about the death of a family member and expressing my hope that others would not have to go through the same thing I am, I would at least make an attempt to not do it like a jackass.
HyperWarlock

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#19 HyperWarlock
Member since 2011 • 3295 Posts

Very sad situation for the family and the of course the girl.

jman1553

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#20 jman1553
Member since 2009 • 1332 Posts
DailyMail...
FuggaJ

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#21 FuggaJ
Member since 2012 • 318 Posts
Sad to see OT still mocks the death of kids and acts like they deserve itCapitan_Kid
If yer weak enough to take some online heckling that serious than there really isn't much hope for you in the real world.
Avatar image for deactivated-5c74ba2955026
deactivated-5c74ba2955026

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#22 deactivated-5c74ba2955026
Member since 2013 • 451 Posts
Ask.fm is for attention whores anyway
Oleg_Huzwog

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#23 Oleg_Huzwog
Member since 2007 • 21885 Posts

Oblivious parents.

Nibroc420

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#24 Nibroc420
Sad to see OT still mocks the death of kids and acts like they deserve itCapitan_Kid
"What are you doing there Suzie?" "Oh, Hey dad, these random people on the internet told me to drink bleach and hang myself, I thought i'd give it a shot!" "Alright, just remember to brush your teeth before bedtime" Parenting at it's finest.
N30F3N1X

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#25 N30F3N1X

[QUOTE="Capitan_Kid"]Sad to see OT still mocks the death of kids and acts like they deserve itNibroc420
"What are you doing there Suzie?" "Oh, Hey dad, these random people on the internet told me to drink bleach and hang myself, I thought i'd give it a shot!" "Alright, just remember to brush your teeth before bedtime" Parenting at it's finest.

:lol:

konvikt_17

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#26 konvikt_17

[QUOTE="Nibroc420"][QUOTE="Capitan_Kid"]Sad to see OT still mocks the death of kids and acts like they deserve itN30F3N1X

:lol:

Jethawk11

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#27 Jethawk11
Member since 2011 • 296 Posts

I have little sympathy in cases like this. Whether you're 14 or not, it's not that hard to ignore baseless and anymous threats recieved over the internet, or simply take a break from the source (in this case ask.fm). Do that, and the online bullying instantly goes away! There are easy solutions to get around this problem. If someone can't take some name calling over the internet without being suicidal, then how are they going to survive in the real world, which is far more threatening and difficult?

heeweesRus

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#28 heeweesRus
Member since 2012 • 5492 Posts
OT still thinks DailyMail is a legit source, smh.
SolidSnake35

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 3

#29 SolidSnake35
Member since 2005 • 58971 Posts
Meanwhile, in another thread, OT shits its pants over free speech violations and gay rights. Some people...
SolidSnake35

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 3

#30 SolidSnake35
Member since 2005 • 58971 Posts

I have little sympathy in cases like this. Whether you're 14 or not, it's not that hard to ignore baseless and anymous threats recieved over the internet, or simply take a break from the source (in this case ask.fm). Do that, and the online bullying instantly goes away! There are easy solutions to get around this problem. If someone can't take some name calling over the internet without being suicidal, then how are they going to survive in the real world, which is far more threatening and difficult?

Jethawk11
You should give speeches about tackling bullying in schools. I'm sure the problem would end.
Nibroc420

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#31 Nibroc420
Personally, I'd blame the parents for not having raised their daughter to be an independent thinker.
Jebus213

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#32 Jebus213

Personally, I'd blame the parents for not having raised their daughter to be an independent thinker.Nibroc420

Pfft fvck that shit. Make sure they grow up weak.

YoshiYogurt

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#33 YoshiYogurt
Member since 2010 • 6008 Posts
If you are that sensitive to anonymous messages than you shouldn't have made one of those in the first place. Parents should be watching someone so ready to take their life.
XilePrincess

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#34 XilePrincess
Member since 2008 • 13130 Posts
I have little pity. The only pity I do have is because she is so young. When you have an account on sites like that you open yourself up to anonymous harassment. At 14 she should know that. It's not the same as regular bullying, because regular bullies aren't being given center stage and a microphone to voice their hate. You're basically asking to get harassed if you have one of these accounts. It's sad, but kids are mean. If you don't want anonymous unbridled hate, don't give people a platform for it.
Jimn_tonic

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#35 Jimn_tonic
Member since 2013 • 913 Posts

This is why parents need to moniter their kids on the internet.

Backtrace dat shit! (<--how NOT to do it)

Serraph105

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#36 Serraph105
Member since 2007 • 36041 Posts

I don't know if this is real or not given that it's the daily mail we discussing, but it's sad to me that there are so many here that couldn't care less about death of a young girl.......I'm not sure I like this place as much as I used too.

Nibroc420

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#37 Nibroc420

I don't know if this is real or not given that it's the daily mail we discussing, but it's sad to me that there are so many here that couldn't care less about death of a young girl.......I'm not sure I like this place as much as I used too.

Serraph105
It's a terrible thing. But that doesn't mean we should be blaming people for being mean on the internet. This girl wanted to kill herself, she had tried before, her parents weren't doing much, they weren't watching her. If they were, would they really have let her drink bleach and kill herself?
Avatar image for turtlethetaffer
turtlethetaffer

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 144

#38 turtlethetaffer
Member since 2009 • 18973 Posts

Stories like this are always double edged swords. On one hand, it's awful that a teenager felt compelled to end their life after being bullied.  On the other, it's the goddamn internet.  People take it far too seriously.  People won't change online, so the better thing to do is just not take it seriously. Sure, people can be cruel online, but you can just not visit the website or stop acting like these random people matter to you.

Plus, I find it hard to believe that one person can be so fixated on what one website thinks.  That must mean she had some sort of preexisting condition that her parents didn't know about, which is also tragic.

turtlethetaffer

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#39 turtlethetaffer

I have little pity. The only pity I do have is because she is so young. When you have an account on sites like that you open yourself up to anonymous harassment. At 14 she should know that. It's not the same as regular bullying, because regular bullies aren't being given center stage and a microphone to voice their hate. You're basically asking to get harassed if you have one of these accounts. It's sad, but kids are mean. If you don't want anonymous unbridled hate, don't give people a platform for it.XilePrincess

^^This. Cuberbullying is far different from real bullying.

Nibroc420

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#40 Nibroc420

Jimn_tonic
Wow that was a stupid girl too. Why dont parents just cut the internet for those kids who're being cyber bullied? Or like, not visit those sites? It's like if you knew a group of people really didn't like you, but you hung around them and let them insult you. Go find somewhere with nicer people, or, in this case, where it's the internet, turn off your computer and go outside.
Jimn_tonic

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#41 Jimn_tonic
Member since 2013 • 913 Posts

Serraph105

Gaming-Planet

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#42 Gaming-Planet
Member since 2008 • 21064 Posts

Social Darwinism... or shall I say, Interweb Darwinism. 

First world problems.

Granny_Spanked

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#43 Granny_Spanked
Member since 2013 • 1341 Posts
It's a horrible site, but not their fault.
GummiRaccoon

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#44 GummiRaccoon
Member since 2003 • 13799 Posts

If I killed myself every time someone over the internet told me to, I would be dead all the time.

Gaming-Planet

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#45 Gaming-Planet

Jimn_tonic
Father of the decade.
XilePrincess

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#46 XilePrincess
Member since 2008 • 13130 Posts

turtlethetaffer
I don't agree with that. I think cyberbullying is real bullying when it gets to a point, especially if it's constant. The difference between regular/cyber bullying and this is that she opens herself up for it by giving her potential bullies a place to harass her. EG: You make a post here or perhaps on facebook saying you like oranges, I reply with "Haha, only f*gs like oranges you're ugly I bet you have no friends LOSER your mom should have aborted you", or you're standing at a bus stop and I walk past and say "You're disgusting I hope you die I hope the bus hits you and puts the rest of us out of the misery of having to look at your nasty face". Both of those are examples of what I'd consider bullying/cyberbullying. You didn't provoke it, you didn't give me an in, you didn't do anything to open a floodgate. This, however, is a girl setting up an account on a site where the basis is for anonymous people to ask or say whatever they'd like. That is the floodgate. You're basically saying "come at me brah" when giving people a place to essentially let loose on you with no repercussions because they are anonymous. You are giving people a pillar to stand on and berate you. That's the difference here. Regular bullying/cyberbullying is not preventable, not asked for, not given an opening. This is, that's all that site is used for and if you don't want anonymous hate, don't join a site like that. That's how I see it, anyway.
turtlethetaffer

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#47 turtlethetaffer

[QUOTE="turtlethetaffer"]

XilePrincess

I don't agree with that. I think cyberbullying is real bullying when it gets to a point, especially if it's constant. The difference between regular/cyber bullying and this is that she opens herself up for it by giving her potential bullies a place to harass her. EG: You make a post here or perhaps on facebook saying you like oranges, I reply with "Haha, only f*gs like oranges you're ugly I bet you have no friends LOSER your mom should have aborted you", or you're standing at a bus stop and I walk past and say "You're disgusting I hope you die I hope the bus hits you and puts the rest of us out of the misery of having to look at your nasty face". Both of those are examples of what I'd consider bullying/cyberbullying. You didn't provoke it, you didn't give me an in, you didn't do anything to open a floodgate. This, however, is a girl setting up an account on a site where the basis is for anonymous people to ask or say whatever they'd like. That is the floodgate. You're basically saying "come at me brah" when giving people a place to essentially let loose on you with no repercussions because they are anonymous. You are giving people a pillar to stand on and berate you. That's the difference here. Regular bullying/cyberbullying is not preventable, not asked for, not given an opening. This is, that's all that site is used for and if you don't want anonymous hate, don't join a site like that. That's how I see it, anyway.

That makes sense, too.  I still think cyberbullying is different though... Most of the time it's from completely anonymous people, so I don't see why anyone should care what they think.  Plus it's much, much, much easier to avoid.  simply don't go on that website.  bullying IRL is a lot tougher to deal with.

Gaming-Planet

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#48 Gaming-Planet

[QUOTE="XilePrincess"][QUOTE="turtlethetaffer"]

turtlethetaffer

That makes sense, too.  I still think cyberbullying is different though... Most of the time it's from completely anonymous people, so I don't see why anyone should care what they think.  Plus it's much, much, much easier to avoid.  simply don't go on that website.  bullying IRL is a lot tougher to deal with.

At least online you have absolute control over the situation. You can ignore, report, block, disable your account, or feed them.
ChelGirl86

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#49 ChelGirl86
Member since 2012 • 89 Posts

konvikt_17
14-year-old girls can be really insecure and sensitive. I agree people need to get a thicker skin as our world becomes more social, but shrugging it off isn't the answer.
Avatar image for VanHelsingBoA64
VanHelsingBoA64

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#50 VanHelsingBoA64
Member since 2007 • 5455 Posts
i had one of those and the only thing people asked me is if i sold weed wtf