Schoolgirl is 'trolled to death' at ask.fm

This topic is locked from further discussion.

Oleg_Huzwog

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

#101 Oleg_Huzwog
Member since 2007 • 21885 Posts

Victim blaming at full force here at GS.

loco145

I don't blame the girl.  I blame the person who killed her.

Treflis

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#102 Treflis
Member since 2004 • 13757 Posts
Wow, I knew there were some cold people on this site but I had no idea they were this rampant. The fact many of you aren't even ashamed speaks volumes on what kind of people you actually are, and that you're likely to use the " We're only joking" as a excuse also confirms how pathetic and disturbing you people are.
Diablo-B

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 6

#103 Diablo-B
Member since 2009 • 4063 Posts
What kind of job have these parents been doing if all it takes is some name calling on the internet to cause her to commit suicide. She clearly had bigger emotional/mental problems then just online bullying.
ZeW0lf

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#104 ZeW0lf
Member since 2012 • 25 Posts
[QUOTE="Treflis"]Wow, I knew there were some cold people on this site but I had no idea they were this rampant. The fact many of you aren't even ashamed speaks volumes on what kind of people you actually are, and that you're likely to use the " We're only joking" as a excuse also confirms how pathetic and disturbing you people are.

Well said. Let's just hope those people never have to experience what it's like to lose a child in the same way. There are plenty of hindsight experts on here who think they know exactly how to handle every situation.
JustBeYourself

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#105 JustBeYourself
Member since 2012 • 686 Posts
What kind of job have these parents been doing if all it takes is some name calling on the internet to cause her to commit suicide. She clearly had bigger emotional/mental problems then just online bullying.Diablo-B
Even when parents know their teenagers have some emotional problems, you think they can just wave a magic wand and make it all go away? Even if the parents did everything they could and sent her to counsellors etc, that's hardly an instant cure. And who says there were outside signs here anyway? Like I said, too many people on here commenting who have no idea of real life - what it means to be a parent and what it means to be in the position of suicide or know someone yourself. Just a lot of sheltered, narrow minded, cold people who are clueless but still comment with the assumption that their "logic" applies to the messiness of real life. Pathetic.
killzowned24

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#106 killzowned24
Member since 2007 • 7345 Posts
If you're thinking about suicide,never try to hang yourself! Just even messing with a rope around your neck is very dangerous and you can easily apply a blood choke that for most people will knock you in less than 10 seconds.
ThisIsTwoFace

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#107 ThisIsTwoFace
Member since 2011 • 1132 Posts

^ The above posters are people who live in a different world

Alot of teens make ask fm and you know the risk of making an account like that where anonymous people are able to see the your profile. If you can't handle the questions you get then you really shouldn't make one or just delete it.

And thats the option this girl had, she could have simply deleted it and would have never had to see comments like "kill yourself" again. She chose to stay. It takes like 15 seconds to actually DEACTIVATE YOUR ACCOUNT.

So don't entirely blame these online bullies when you invite them to do the bullying, it aint right

Oleg_Huzwog

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#108 Oleg_Huzwog
Member since 2007 • 21885 Posts

If you're thinking about suicide,never try to hang yourself! Just even messing with a rope around your neck is very dangerous and you can easily apply a blood choke that for most people will knock you in less than 10 seconds.killzowned24

Why would you say never try it?  Sounds like a very effective method.

killzowned24

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#109 killzowned24
Member since 2007 • 7345 Posts

[QUOTE="killzowned24"]If you're thinking about suicide,never try to hang yourself! Just even messing with a rope around your neck is very dangerous and you can easily apply a blood choke that for most people will knock you in less than 10 seconds.Oleg_Huzwog

Why would you say never try it?  Sounds like a very effective method.

Because there could be many that don't want to go through with it for real,but will still put around neck and expect nothing to happen if just lean into it.
heeweesRus

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#110 heeweesRus
Member since 2012 • 5492 Posts
RIP
pianist

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#111 pianist
Member since 2003 • 18900 Posts

[QUOTE="konvikt_17"]

people take things waayy too seriously.

i kinda dont really feel any sadness with stories like these anymore.

oh noes, an anonomous person was mean to me on the internet! i have nothing left to live for now!

hydralisk86

I think it could be more than that. Maybe that girl was already depressed, or had super low self esteem and was already thinking about suicide.

Yep.  In cases like these, the online bullying is rarely the only part of the story.  It usually extends to "real life" bullying as well, and certain people are going to be more sensitive to it than others.  You have to be in a pretty bad place to actually go through with killing yourself.

pianist

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#112 pianist
Member since 2003 • 18900 Posts

[QUOTE="Nibroc420"][QUOTE="Serraph105"]

I don't know if this is real or not given that it's the daily mail we discussing, but it's sad to me that there are so many here that couldn't care less about death of a young girl.......I'm not sure I like this place as much as I used too.

MrGeezer

It's a terrible thing. But that doesn't mean we should be blaming people for being mean on the internet. This girl wanted to kill herself, she had tried before, her parents weren't doing much, they weren't watching her. If they were, would they really have let her drink bleach and kill herself?

I do blame them for being pieces of $hit. They were acting like pieces of $hit, and that's nobody's fault but their own. They're obviously not at fault for the girl's death, of course. But they WERE acting like pieces of $hit, and I don't like how people are so dismissive of that just because they didn't outright kill the girl.

Agreed.  It was completely unnecessary for this girl to kill herself over some hurtful comments.  But it was also completely unnecessary for those remarks to be delivered in the first place.  If we're going to blame the parents of the 14 year old girl for not paying enough attention, what about the parents who permit (and in some cases encourage) their kids to be bullies?

Exactly what is accomplished by going out of your way to make some stranger feel poorly about him/herself? 

-Toshy-

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#113 -Toshy-
Member since 2008 • 1376 Posts
Less than a fortnight before her body was found early last Friday, Hannah begged her tormentors who can hide behind a cloak of anonymity on the site to stop the abuse.Article
There is a neat little option in the settings.
chaplainDMK

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#114 chaplainDMK
Member since 2008 • 7004 Posts
Ah yes, random guy on Ask.FM tells a perfectly normal girl to kill herself and she does it. Right, obvious reason. No chance of underlying issues, nope.
LJS9502_basic

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#115 LJS9502_basic
Member since 2003 • 178860 Posts

[QUOTE="XilePrincess"][QUOTE="turtlethetaffer"]

^^This. Cuberbullying is far different from real bullying.

turtlethetaffer

I don't agree with that. I think cyberbullying is real bullying when it gets to a point, especially if it's constant. The difference between regular/cyber bullying and this is that she opens herself up for it by giving her potential bullies a place to harass her. EG: You make a post here or perhaps on facebook saying you like oranges, I reply with "Haha, only f*gs like oranges you're ugly I bet you have no friends LOSER your mom should have aborted you", or you're standing at a bus stop and I walk past and say "You're disgusting I hope you die I hope the bus hits you and puts the rest of us out of the misery of having to look at your nasty face". Both of those are examples of what I'd consider bullying/cyberbullying. You didn't provoke it, you didn't give me an in, you didn't do anything to open a floodgate. This, however, is a girl setting up an account on a site where the basis is for anonymous people to ask or say whatever they'd like. That is the floodgate. You're basically saying "come at me brah" when giving people a place to essentially let loose on you with no repercussions because they are anonymous. You are giving people a pillar to stand on and berate you. That's the difference here. Regular bullying/cyberbullying is not preventable, not asked for, not given an opening. This is, that's all that site is used for and if you don't want anonymous hate, don't join a site like that. That's how I see it, anyway.

That makes sense, too.  I still think cyberbullying is different though... Most of the time it's from completely anonymous people, so I don't see why anyone should care what they think.  Plus it's much, much, much easier to avoid.  simply don't go on that website.  bullying IRL is a lot tougher to deal with.

Because some people DO have self esteem problems and it affects them.
Zurrur

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#116 Zurrur
Member since 2009 • 1701 Posts

They really should teach kids at school never to use your real name on the internet

AHUGECAT

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

#117 AHUGECAT
Member since 2006 • 8967 Posts

This is why people think video games cause violence. If the government wants to do a study on video games and violence all they have to do is go on a video game forum.

GreySeal9

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 41

#118 GreySeal9
Member since 2010 • 28247 Posts

[QUOTE="Diablo-B"]What kind of job have these parents been doing if all it takes is some name calling on the internet to cause her to commit suicide. She clearly had bigger emotional/mental problems then just online bullying.JustBeYourself
Even when parents know their teenagers have some emotional problems, you think they can just wave a magic wand and make it all go away? Even if the parents did everything they could and sent her to counsellors etc, that's hardly an instant cure. And who says there were outside signs here anyway? Like I said, too many people on here commenting who have no idea of real life - what it means to be a parent and what it means to be in the position of suicide or know someone yourself. Just a lot of sheltered, narrow minded, cold people who are clueless but still comment with the assumption that their "logic" applies to the messiness of real life. Pathetic.

You hit the nail on the head. OT loves to judge people for some reason.

Ricardomz

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#119 Ricardomz
Member since 2012 • 2715 Posts

people take things waayy too seriously.

i kinda dont really feel any sadness with stories like these anymore.

oh noes, an anonomous person was mean to me on the internet! i have nothing left to live for now!

konvikt_17

Unfortunately this is as truth as it could be. People are silly nowadays. You can't please everyone, and I wouldn't certainly give two f*cks about anonymous people online because trolls are everywhere and people will always like to mess up.

Laihendi

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#120 Laihendi
Member since 2009 • 5872 Posts
"The person that created this web site should be done for mansluaghter (sic) any parents that have children please dont (sic) let them go on this site." Her dad is an idiot.
Laihendi

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#121 Laihendi
Member since 2009 • 5872 Posts
[quote="Article"]Less than a fortnight before her body was found early last Friday, Hannah begged her tormentors who can hide behind a cloak of anonymity on the site to stop the abuse.-Toshy-
There is a neat little option in the settings.

I guess the apple didn't fall far from the tree.
nomsayin

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#122 nomsayin
Member since 2013 • 1346 Posts
[QUOTE="Treflis"]Wow, I knew there were some cold people on this site but I had no idea they were this rampant. The fact many of you aren't even ashamed speaks volumes on what kind of people you actually are, and that you're likely to use the " We're only joking" as a excuse also confirms how pathetic and disturbing you people are.

+1
Jebus213

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#123 Jebus213
Member since 2010 • 10056 Posts

Wow, I knew there were some cold people on this site but I had no idea they were this rampant. The fact many of you aren't even ashamed speaks volumes on what kind of people you actually are, and that you're likely to use the " We're only joking" as a excuse also confirms how pathetic and disturbing you people are.Treflis

I'm sure as hell not joking.

Give me a valid reason why I should show sympathy. 

Jebus213

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#124 Jebus213
Member since 2010 • 10056 Posts

[QUOTE="loco145"]

Victim blaming at full force here at GS.

Oleg_Huzwog

I don't blame the girl.  I blame the person who killed her.

You sir have won the thread. 

Pffrbt

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#125 Pffrbt
Member since 2010 • 6612 Posts

Why didn't she just quit going to the site. This is kind of pathetic.

bobaban

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#126 bobaban
Member since 2005 • 10560 Posts
Wow such judgement here. She probably didn't have any friends IRL and used that site as a social outlet. RIP
Pffrbt

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#127 Pffrbt
Member since 2010 • 6612 Posts

Wow such judgement here. She probably didn't have any friends IRL and used that site as a social outlet. RIP bobaban

Go to a different site then. Problem solved.

MuD3

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#128 MuD3
Member since 2011 • 2192 Posts
that's shitty, but there is any easy solution to anonymous online bullying... stop going to that sight. placing blame on the site creator is also rather extreme... manslaughter? really?
Avatar image for follyconvention
follyconvention

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#129 follyconvention
Member since 2013 • 25 Posts
Even if tools or information kill, so what? Removing these things only alleviates the symptoms, not the root cause itself...the killer i.e. she killed herself. We live in a society of victimhood and compensation, any object is a scapegoat, even the inanimate and conceptual ones, 'course I can sympathise with what the parents are going through, I am sure the father would love to get his own back on the trolls, then again, the nature of these trolls is questionable, I doubt they intended her suicide.
Tessellation

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#130 Tessellation
Member since 2009 • 9297 Posts
her first mistake was having an ask.fm account and being sensitive to what people behind a monitor says.
Nibroc420

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#131 Nibroc420
Member since 2007 • 13571 Posts
Wow such judgement here. She probably didn't have any friends IRL and used that site as a social outlet. RIP bobaban
What do you do if a group of people dont like you? Do you continue to go to them so they can insult you and tell you to drink bleach and hang yourself? Seems the people of Ask.FM didn't like this girl, and were telling her to drink bleach and kill herself. She continued to go to Ask.FM to be told she was ugly, and that she should kill herself. Certainly you can complain that "people are mean", or you can understand that she had issues prior to ever commuting suicide.
El_Zo1212o

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#132 El_Zo1212o
Member since 2009 • 6057 Posts

A 14-year-old schoolgirl killed herself after being bullied by online trolls who told her to 'drink bleach' and 'go get cancer'.

Hannah Smith, from Lutterworth, Leicestershire, was found dead on Friday after being sent abusive messages on controversial website Ask.fm.

Less than a fortnight before her body was found early last Friday, Hannah begged her tormentors who can hide behind a cloak of anonymity on the site to stop the abuse.

After a barrage of abuse Hannah posted the handwritten message: 'You think you want to die but in reality you just want to be saved' on the day before she died.

Her devastated parents posted the terrible news online and attacked the social media site for not doing more to tackle bullies and called for it to be banned.

Hannah's father Dave Smith wrote on Facebook: 'On Friday morning my daughter was found hanged last night i seen her ask fm account and someone had been telling her to die.

'The person that created this web site should be done for mansluaghter (sic) any parents that have children please dont (sic) let them go on this site.'

Dave also posted a picture of flowers outside the family home and a mantelpiece of condolence cards next to the comment: 'the new pics for ask.fm.'

The heartbroken father added: 'My heart is broken in 2 and is gonna take along time to repair i just hope that none of you have to go through the pain im goin through rite now and love u all.

Source.

loco145
I hope that someday this broken hearted father realizes it's his own god damn fault for not restricting and monitoring his daughter's internet usage. I hope the guilt of this realization causes him to hang his own self. These assh*les want sympathy?? PAY ATTENTION TO YOUR F*CKING KIDS!!
MirkoS77

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

#133 MirkoS77
Member since 2011 • 17679 Posts

Exactly what is accomplished by going out of your way to make some stranger feel poorly about him/herself? 

pianist

I think that's fairly easy to answer: people put down others to makes themselves feel better.  It's really that simple.

Obviously this girl had other factors going on and this bullying was simply the match that lit the fuse.  If it wasn't ask.fm and those kids, it would have been something else, and probably something just as inconsequential.  Also taking into consideration that she could easily have just ignored the taunts leads me to believe that she was almost looking for a reaon to aid in carrying out her death wish.

firefluff3

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#134 firefluff3
Member since 2010 • 2073 Posts

The only stories that ever get posted about bullying, abuse and so called cyber bullying are the ones in which the victim kills themselves.  This is followed by news outlets reporting on how tragic the situation is, facebook pages set up in her memory and a tirade of comments about how beautiful and innocent  they were . This is not a good thing. The stories should be about people who were subject to abuse and depression whilst making it through their hardships and eventually leading a  happy life this is a MUCH better thing to promote to young people than showing them how much damn attention and love theyd get if they killed themselves. Instead, we use suicide to show the extreme effects of this abuse but this is NOT a good thing to promote on its own.

We get it. People can do stupid things because of words ; but we also need to show them theres ways out other than suicide. It is cowardly and should be seen as such, if not only for the benefit of all the people who feel terrible about themselves right now and are considering it. There are many other ways through hard times other than a permanent solution to a temporary problem. Suicide dumps everything on your friends and family and is actually quite selfish. It shows you dont care about what you do to others as long as youre not there to see the effects it has on the people around you. To be brought down to a level where you would do that may be devastating, but you must understand that it will negatively effect everyone around you in so many ways, too.

MirkoS77

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#135 MirkoS77

We get it. People can do stupid things because of words ; but we also need to show them theres ways out other than suicide. It is cowardly and should be seen as such, if not only for the benefit of all the people who feel terrible about themselves right now and are considering it. There are many other ways through hard times other than a permanent solution to a temporary problem.Suicide dumps everything on your friends and family and is actually quite selfish. It shows you dont care about what you do to others as long as youre not there to see the effects it has on the people around you. To be brought down to a level where you would do that may be devastating, but you must understand that it will negatively effect everyone around you in so many ways, too.

firefluff3

This is not always true.  In fact, I find a lot of the above to be very naive.

GreySeal9

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 41

#136 GreySeal9
Member since 2010 • 28247 Posts

It is cowardly and should be seen as suchfirefluff3

I don't know why this sh!tty adjective always get thrown around. Suicide is awful, but it is anything but cowardly. Given how much humans fear death, how does that even make sense?

MirkoS77

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#137 MirkoS77

[QUOTE="firefluff3"]It is cowardly and should be seen as suchGreySeal9

I don't know why this sh!tty adjective always get thrown around. Suicide is awful, but it is anything but cowardly. Given how much humans fear death, how does that even make sense?

I think when most people say suicide is cowardly, it's more so due to the reasons behind the act rather than the act itself.

firefluff3

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#138 firefluff3
Member since 2010 • 2073 Posts

[QUOTE="GreySeal9"]

[QUOTE="firefluff3"]It is cowardly and should be seen as suchMirkoS77

I think when most people say suicide is cowardly, it's more so due to the reasons behind the act rather than the act itself.

^ yeah, that - but considering the actual meaning of the word it doesn't really make sense :P

JustBeYourself

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#139 JustBeYourself

[QUOTE="Treflis"]Wow, I knew there were some cold people on this site but I had no idea they were this rampant. The fact many of you aren't even ashamed speaks volumes on what kind of people you actually are, and that you're likely to use the " We're only joking" as a excuse also confirms how pathetic and disturbing you people are.Jebus213

I'm sure as hell not joking.

Give me a valid reason why I should show sympathy. 

You're nasty, I feel sorry that your mind is such a dark, dirty sewer.
N30F3N1X

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#140 N30F3N1X
Member since 2009 • 8923 Posts

GreySeal9

Some depth you put into your reasoning.

Because it's the easy way out, because it's the most extreme way of running away from problems, because it's an act done with no consideration for everyone she should have cared for?

Would you say a person who suicides over f*cking internet trolling is courageous?

N30F3N1X

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#141 N30F3N1X
Member since 2009 • 8923 Posts

[QUOTE="Diablo-B"]What kind of job have these parents been doing if all it takes is some name calling on the internet to cause her to commit suicide. She clearly had bigger emotional/mental problems then just online bullying.JustBeYourself

You say "sent her to counsellors" and then go on a whining spree about "what it means to be a parent"? Sounds like you're the one who has "no idea of real life".

The hell have councellors to do with anything? An even remotely decent parenting would have prevented this from happening. And like you said, there's no instant cure - just like suicide is no instant decision. Where have the parents been all this time?

JustBeYourself

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#142 JustBeYourself
An even remotely decent parenting would have prevented this from happening.N30F3N1X
Implying that the parent of every teenager who has ever committed suicide was a bad parent.That's a bizarre point of view. Also sending a child to a counselor when you feel they are going through emotional issues is pretty usual...don't quite understand what you're getting at with your reaction.
chaoscougar1

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 12

#143 chaoscougar1
Member since 2005 • 37603 Posts
'The person that created this web site should be done for mansluaghter (sic) any parents that have children please dont (sic) let them go on this site.' I know you're sad and all But come on mate
MirkoS77

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#144 MirkoS77

Because it's the easy way out, because it's the most extreme way of running away from problems, because it's an act done with no consideration for everyone she should have cared for?

N30F3N1X

That's a bit quick to judgement don't you think?

Celldrax

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#145 Celldrax
Member since 2005 • 15053 Posts

Well, what can I say... The loss of life is unfortunate. But I refuse to believe that mere name calling on the internet can drive a person to commit suicide (of course there's probably other factors involved. But, still...).

'The person that created this web site should be done for mansluaghter'

Her dad is also an idiot.

Avatar image for AbstractRadical
AbstractRadical

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#146 AbstractRadical
Member since 2013 • 632 Posts
People need to stop taking the Internet so seriously. People these days can't handle anything.
El_Zo1212o

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#147 El_Zo1212o
[QUOTE="N30F3N1X"]An even remotely decent parenting would have prevented this from happening.JustBeYourself
Implying that the parent of every teenager who has ever committed suicide was a bad parent.That's a bizarre point of view. Also sending a child to a counselor when you feel they are going through emotional issues is pretty usual...don't quite understand what you're getting at with your reaction.

Correction: implying(quite correctly in my opinion) that the parents of every teenager who has ever committed suicide over cyber bullying were bad parents.
LJS9502_basic

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#148 LJS9502_basic
Member since 2003 • 178860 Posts
[QUOTE="JustBeYourself"][QUOTE="N30F3N1X"]An even remotely decent parenting would have prevented this from happening.El_Zo1212o

Correction: implying(quite correctly in my opinion) that the parents of every teenager who has ever committed suicide over cyber bullying were bad parents.

Kids don't always tell their parents......:roll:
Ninja-Hippo

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 7

#149 Ninja-Hippo
Member since 2008 • 23434 Posts

I love all the calls in the newspapers for this site to be banned. One of the worst things about the UK and the principle reason why I'd never settle there; THIS MUST BE BANNED!!! culture. It's not like it's even the government, the media is always the primary source of BEGGING and petitioning the government to ban things they do not approve of. If the government in any other country tried to censor or block the internet, the media would push back against it as overstepping the mark into censorship. Here? The government gets *asked* to do it and criticised if it doesn't.

Parents need to take some damned responsibility for their kids. I get that the father is still traumatised from losing his daughter but the immediate decision to demand the government take action smacks of denial. He must know that deep down he failed on some level as a parent; his daughter wasn't just depressed, she was mentally unwell enough to hang herself and he knew/did nothing about it. The government is not there to ban everything which might cause some harm to some person at some time.

EDIT; thank you gamespot as per usual for deciding my neatly formatted paragraphs would read nicer in a huge chunk of text. 

El_Zo1212o

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#150 El_Zo1212o
[QUOTE="El_Zo1212o"][QUOTE="JustBeYourself"][QUOTE="N30F3N1X"]An even remotely decent parenting would have prevented this from happening.LJS9502_basic

Kids don't always tell their parents......:roll:

Parents wouldn't need to BE told if they monitored their childrens' internet usage. Giving a child(yes, a 14-year-old IS a child) free run of a cesspit like the internet is irresponsible in the extreme and ought to constitute neglect.