Old site vs. New Site

This topic is locked from further discussion.

sammyjenkis898

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

Poll Old site vs. New Site (720 votes)

Old site 80%
New Site 21%

Let's get those initial impressions in, people!

Which one do you prefer at the moment?

• 
N-REAL

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 10

#501  Edited By N-REAL
Member since 2003 • 2509 Posts

I'm done here. Things that made GS unique for me over the years are now pretty much dead. Feels like a totally different site.

And besides....there were only a few people who I was following and they´re gone.

OmitName

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#503 OmitName
Member since 2005 • 766 Posts

its fun to engage something new. honestly though, i never really paid much attention to the general aesthetic lay out of the old forums. any links to or pictures of the outdated version? perhaps comparing the two might stave some of the bellyaching once they can notice the benefits in a side by side.

AmazonTreeBoa

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#504 AmazonTreeBoa
Member since 2011 • 16745 Posts

@23Jarek23 said:

Just realized that clicking on your comment from your feed doesn't take you to the comment anymore, just to the thread. Another good feature, gone.

Yes that really sucks ass.

jun_aka_pekto

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

#505  Edited By jun_aka_pekto
Member since 2010 • 25255 Posts

Right now? I prefer the old site. I wouldn't mind this new one if it wasn't so glacially slow. It's the only site that feels like I went back to the days of 56k modems. Even Chrome chokes on it.

aaronmullan

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 9

#506 aaronmullan
Member since 2004 • 33425 Posts

I'll take either or. That said I voted for the new site.

GrayF0X786

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 6

#507 GrayF0X786
Member since 2012 • 4185 Posts

the old one.

Macutchi

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

#509  Edited By Macutchi
Member since 2007 • 10438 Posts

@Jebus213 said:

@Guppy507 said:

@cya said:

Why everyone keeps putting up Flash content???

you know HTML5 is better.

Gamespot if you are worried that someone steals the video cause html5 has less security, well we got youtube for that,

Not every browser supports HTML5. Every browser supports Flash.

You mean to tell me Chrome, FireFox, IE, Opera, and Safari don't support HTML5? This isn't 2009....

Did I miss any browsers that the majority use?

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Usage_share_of_web_browsers

That's the dumbest excuse to use in the year 2013.

true. only legacy browsers like ie8 and previous don't natively support html5 but there are polyfills to work around this.

cya - security wise flash stinks. that's one of the reasons it's being phased out. if you're talking about the ability to protect video content, drm is likely to be introduced in html5.1 (which sucks btw).

guppy - not every browser supports flash - safari on the iphone / ipad for instance

back on topic, the new site is pretty laughable. they've stripped away everything that encouraged the community to grow like it did, all the incentives to return and contribute. i'm amazed how a company of this size can, in one fell swoop, ruin everything they've built up over the past decade or so

lensflare15

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#510 lensflare15
Member since 2010 • 6652 Posts

I still vastly prefer the old one, but the new layout has kind of grown on me, as well as the new posting system. I still miss Unions a lot though, as well as certain boards that don't seem to be here anymore.

LJS9502_basic

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#511  Edited By LJS9502_basic
Member since 2003 • 178845 Posts

@lensflare15 said:

I still vastly prefer the old one, but the new layout has kind of grown on me, as well as the new posting system. I still miss Unions a lot though, as well as certain boards that don't seem to be here anymore.

Legacy is hard to find....and because of that....no traffic. Fix that GS.

PsychoLemons

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#512 PsychoLemons
Member since 2011 • 3183 Posts

Old for sure. It could be me but is the new site is more laggy than the old?

brankozab

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

#513  Edited By brankozab
Member since 2008 • 25 Posts

@PsychoLemons: It took me 2 minutes just to open the homepage, and don't let me start talking about getting to this forum. (pain in the ass)

GOGOGOGURT

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#514 GOGOGOGURT
Member since 2010 • 4470 Posts

I Iike the old site better for now, but just because I was used to it. I'm sure they can improve the new one, it's not bad.

Bunch of self-entitled judgmental whiny posters here.

tenaka2

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#515  Edited By tenaka2
Member since 2004 • 17958 Posts

The new site is very broken.

nooblet69

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 9

#516 nooblet69
Member since 2004 • 5162 Posts

Old one by far. I don't see myself visiting this site half as often as I used to. I might just quit visiting altogether.

mAArdman

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#517  Edited By mAArdman
Member since 2003 • 1612 Posts

this new site is a fantastic and welcome challenge

Ninja-Hippo

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 7

#518  Edited By Ninja-Hippo
Member since 2008 • 23434 Posts

The layout is neither here nor there; even if you preferred the old one, you'll get used to the new one before you know it. The only thing that's driving me away is the dial-up speed that the site seems to operate at and the 50/50 chance of getting a 500 Internal service error with every page click.

It's making the site unusable and they've been up and running for a while now, especially with the beta. In this day and age it's really not acceptable to launch something this broken.

korj

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#519  Edited By korj
Member since 2004 • 25 Posts

Epic Fail! What is that? 5-minute adoption of Wordpress? Let me unsee it!

For many years I was using Gamespot as the source of information about games because it was presented nicely, everything was interconnected, every page was packed with information. Now what? Cellphone-style one-of-millions standard design, scroll-scroll-scroll trash-packed uninformative pages, no distinction between platforms - why the hell do I need your year-old XBOX reviews if I'm interested in PC port?!

Idiots.

DevilMightCry

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

#520 DevilMightCry
Member since 2007 • 3554 Posts

Old one was bad. But the look, and going on about how you communicate with other users, whether quoting, or reading posts/threads was much better and easier on eyes than this shit. I think I may call it quits tbh.

Shottayouth13-

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#521 Shottayouth13-
Member since 2009 • 7018 Posts

Glad to see that usernames aren't a jumbled mess again.

Jyakotu

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 11

#522 Jyakotu
Member since 2005 • 158 Posts

I haven't been on GameSpot in awhile, so I was quite surprised to see it had a new look. It'll take some getting used to and I'll have to relearn a few things, but honestly, it doesn't bother me. We learn to adapt and get used to it eventually.

WhiteKnight77

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#523 WhiteKnight77
Member since 2003 • 12605 Posts

@Shottayouth13- said:

Glad to see that usernames aren't a jumbled mess again.

Yeah, they fixed it today it looks like as well as separating avatars, nicks and post count from the post itself.

Jebus213

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#524  Edited By Jebus213
Member since 2010 • 10056 Posts

Oh wow, it's beginning to look like a forum again.

Derek3143

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 5

#525 Derek3143
Member since 2013 • 90 Posts

Going to raise this again, because I HATE HATE HATE this feature with the new site, and the only way I can imagine they'll change this is if people email them complaining:

The old Gamespot website provided average user scores for each version of a game. The new website doesn't seem to have any option to see this - you get one average for all user scores for a given game.

So if, for example, 500 users give a great PS3 game a 9.2, and then the creators of the game come out with a crappy PSP version, which gets 500 users giving it a 7.2, you know what you're going to see? 1000 users with an 8.2 average score.

This renders user reviews for cross-platform games pretty useless if there's any quality difference between the versions. This sucks ass if you rely on user scores at all, which I do.

I mean, why, why why? Do they do this for their own reviews (i.e. one score for all versions of a game)? I'll answer that - no they do not, because it's stupid. Different versions can vary HUGELY in quality.

VintAge68

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 88

User Lists: 5

#526  Edited By VintAge68
Member since 2010 • 530 Posts

@N-REAL: Perhaps it was GS's intention to thin out the subscribers list? Perhaps we are only the survivors of the first wave in a mega site renewal game?

LJS9502_basic

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#527 LJS9502_basic

@InEMplease said:

@konvikt_17 said:

things i miss the most, are the ways to tell that we have read a thread, and wehter or not it has new posts or not. and the option to go to the first unread post in a thread.

This. This all the way.

Other than that I'm A-Ok with the new...whatevers.

This does bother me. Overall though I don't get all the whining in this thread. Old site is gone. Deal with it. This isn't the worst I've seen. And hopefully they will get around to fixing what needs fixing. At least they fixed user names....

JML897

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#528 JML897
Member since 2004 • 33134 Posts

Why is it still sooooooo sloooooooooww

AlisterFlint

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

#529  Edited By AlisterFlint
Member since 2011 • 25 Posts

such a crappy website. navigation is almost non-existent, many useful features are either gone, or now so hard to find; and no beta pre-release whatsoever.. they're just sending more people to alternative gamers communities. tough tomatoes.

and it seems profiles have been seriously messed up with. avatar's gone, and looks like levels have been reset. and if not, the fact that it's so hard to find out if it has been, shows how sh***y is the new navigation.

GnugnaGnagna

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#530  Edited By GnugnaGnagna
Member since 2012 • 25 Posts

Just finding what you are looking for is a PAIN! Just try reading an article, comment on it and then find it again the next day. It's because of the new layout: there is no list of recent activity on the site, just a timeline of the news.

ail_taco

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: -2

#531 ail_taco
Member since 2008 • 137 Posts

This new one makes me a sad Taco

chrisrooR

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#532 chrisrooR
Member since 2007 • 9027 Posts

Really disliking it.

LJS9502_basic

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#533  Edited By LJS9502_basic

@chrisrooR said:

Really disliking it.

Wish they'd fix the glitch that doesn't take you to the last post read.....

lilasianwonder

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#534 lilasianwonder
Member since 2007 • 5982 Posts

I miss the level titles.

4myAmuzumament

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#535 4myAmuzumament
Member since 2013 • 1791 Posts

pre-old

Revixe06

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#536 Revixe06
Member since 2008 • 1021 Posts

The new site is nice, it reminds me of Giant Bomb, but I still prefer the classic version.

ail_taco

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: -2

#537  Edited By ail_taco
Member since 2008 • 137 Posts
@korj said:

Epic Fail! What is that? 5-minute adoption of Wordpress? Let me unsee it!

For many years I was using Gamespot as the source of information about games because it was presented nicely, everything was interconnected, every page was packed with information. Now what? Cellphone-style one-of-millions standard design, scroll-scroll-scroll trash-packed uninformative pages, no distinction between platforms - why the hell do I need your year-old XBOX reviews if I'm interested in PC port?!

Idiots.

The worst part about it, they only have "originally released" when looking up games by date. Instead of atleast adding the console version releas as well.

sammyjenkis898

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#538 sammyjenkis898
Member since 2007 • 28392 Posts

@LZ71 said:

I'm kinda pissed I have to redo all my sig and avy stuff, and that there's no 50 posts/page anymore. Other than that I can't see myself really caring enough about the change to feel a certain way about it.

I see you kept your sig. Good man.

WhiteKnight77

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#539  Edited By WhiteKnight77
Member since 2003 • 12605 Posts

They need to fix the bug that only shows the second to last page of a thread. This thread has 11 pages only shows 10 on the topic title page. :blink:

Avatar image for michael_1234576
michael_1234576

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#540  Edited By michael_1234576
Member since 2004 • 8621 Posts

now that some stuff has been sorted I don't mind the new site that much, wish it was faster though..

TrooperManaic

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

#541  Edited By TrooperManaic
Member since 2004 • 3863 Posts

The only thing I miss was account levels.

brodelin

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#542 brodelin
Member since 2005 • 583 Posts

I like the layout, especially when browsing from my smartphone. But the site runs way too slow so I vote for the old.

AcidTango

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#543 AcidTango
Member since 2013 • 3221 Posts

So far the new one sucks compared to the old site

1- When you go into a topic back in the old site, it would let you know when someone posted a new comment in that topic while the new one doesn't even do that

2- Quoting is all messed up for me

3- I hate how they merged the legacy game forum with the general game discussion

4- Can't do spell check or at least I think you can't because it doesn't seem that have it

5- No smiley faces

6- I don't like the new account settings

7- And finally if you use to go to the old Gamespot on your smartphone like I did, it always worked well. But with the new one it's horrible. The site is way too closed up unlike the old one that fit well on the phones. Searching for things on the new site on a smartphone is a hassle now. And for some odd reason I keep getting kicked out from the site on my phone. At first I thought my phone was messed up but no only Gamespot does that. No other website on the iphone kicks me out and the old Gamespot never did that as well. It could be a bug they can fix but still it's bad

I have no problems with change but it seems that Gamespot really downgraded everything. I really hope they fix everything as soon as possible. The only thing that I like about the new site is that searching for games is much cleaner unlike the old one that was a cluttered mess but that's all about it. The old site overall was much better.

KFHEWUI

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#544 KFHEWUI
Member since 2005 • 7606 Posts

Seems Gamespot's designers took a page out of youtube's book on how to design a site.

This new layout is awful, and all honestly, this design should not have never seen the light of day. Instead of making the site easier to navigate, it is a complete pain in the a$$ to do so. Now instead of going to my profile and seeing my friends' blogs and feed now I have to go under the feed tab then select friends' feed even the feed is limited so sometimes the fastest way to check this is by going to each user's profile and going to their blogs. This design makes zero sense. Why make it harder to navigate a site? An update should UPDATE not downgrade the site.

I wish that was the biggest issue, but no a lot of things were removed for no reason. For example now there is no way to preview or spell check a blog before posting it. Yeah, because previewing and spell check are outdated mechanics that no one uses any more. *rolls eyes* Even more annoying is that there is no way to delete blogs (not sure about posts). Why were these removed in the first place? It was also removed from posting comments or on the forums.

I have been around this site for a long time, and I have stuck through to it through some serious problems like bonk!, but this is the last straw for me. I am leaving the site soon which I hate to do since I have made friends on this site that I hate to leave them.

How this design was accepted is beyond me? Any designer or site manager should have enough common sense to see that this design is a mess and never should have been given the thumbs up.

artphotodude

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#545 artphotodude
Member since 2004 • 25 Posts

Did the XBONE team design this for you? Seriously, abandoning HTML5 video for Flash? Javascript - up the bunghole, hub-based headlines requiring the user to navigate twice as much (or 'hover' twice as long) to see what is new? Feels like you went from being a gaming NEWS center to a single gamer bedroom-based site.

TOO BAD. Your editorials and talent staff are top notch, but this is just way too much trouble to use. Cancel my profile. Will not be back for the foreseeable future.

Jack-Burton

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#546 Jack-Burton
Member since 2013 • 2435 Posts

Old beats new for Ol' Jack

Tqricardinho

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#547  Edited By Tqricardinho
Member since 2013 • 477 Posts

65% old site, 35% new site.

churdo

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#548  Edited By churdo
Member since 2009 • 177 Posts

I would like if we had an option to rollback the layout. Still messy to navegate, before was so clean and easy.

SolidSnake35

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 3

#549  Edited By SolidSnake35
Member since 2005 • 58971 Posts

I like some things. It's better than I expected... but many features are missing and the small sigs suck.