Old site vs. New Site

This topic is locked from further discussion.

Posted by sammyjenkis898 (27935 posts) 9 months, 14 days ago

Poll: Old site vs. New Site (717 votes)

Old site 80%
New Site 21%

Let's get those initial impressions in, people!

Which one do you prefer at the moment?

#351 Posted by PinkiePirate (2081 posts) -

I like the new site. Wish it performed better. Everything is so slow and clunky.

#352 Posted by HipHopBeats (2838 posts) -

Definitely the old site by far which was way more user friendly. This new layout is change for the sake of change geared towards ADD facebook viewers who need to see a million and one things on one screen at the same time.

#353 Edited by Steve_Esquire (14 posts) -

I like the new site overall, I just have to get used to it.

Problems with the new site:

1) My account got deleted!!! After 5-6 YEARS of commenting and everything, it's all gone. Hopefully something happens and I can access it, but for now I'm using this account.
2) I still cannot believe this is still happening, but I switched my avatar pic around an hour ago, but it still hasn't updated. They really need to fix this, it's been going on for about 2 years. And I'm sure the pic fits because it's the pic I used to have on my old account that I couldn't switch from (because they wouldn't update it.)

3) It'll take some time to get used to, but seeing 2 news feeds is a bit strange.

4) Longggg loads. Really hope they can update it.

#354 Posted by Dog (37 posts) -

Some optimization is needed.... but so far I prefer the new over the old.

#355 Posted by not_wanted (1977 posts) -

It's just like after the Big Bang, everything is a mess. We'll have to wait billions of years for something to happen. :(

I would have preferred a biblical version.

#356 Posted by Demonkillua (96 posts) -

@F22_King_Raptor said:
@Demonkillua said:

It may have been broke before the change, but this ones currently got a fair share of problems that are easier to see. Hoping they iron out the bugs really soon and not leave things like they've done in the past. *cough*Fuse*cough*

What site launch (or re-launch) doesn't have problems? Besides, maybe if us Fusers pester Lark and the others enough we may get our own board. It would be better than nothing.

Lol this spin moderator.

Listen buddy I know you are a little slow on the uptake but sight relaunches are usually tested and are not usually worse x3 DAY one than the BEta if there is a beta. Yeah there are bugs,and glitches, but usually not LIKE THIS.

Ehh, this one was built from the ground up and not just a coat of icing over the cake like usual. They made a whole new cake. Beta testers were to limited also and I don't think stress test were done. It's a rather well done job for the process. I would actually be a bit more glad that things aren't worse. They've been and could be much worse. I think it was a pre-mature launch, but the user feedback in masses will help them find what needs to be fixed faster then just 200-300 people.

#357 Posted by nomsayin (1141 posts) -

For the most part, this new design sucks ass.

#358 Posted by tocool340 (20415 posts) -

@Teenaged said:

Ok first negative thing I've noticed.... there's no indication about which threads we've visited and/or posted in, right?

Or am I missing something?

There isn't. Which is kind of annoying because it makes it harder to follow discussions.

The one thing I really hate is the fact that even in post history you can't go directly to the post you made in a thread nor does it tell you the number of new posts that were made in that thread.

#359 Posted by tocool340 (20415 posts) -

@GTA_GURU said:

i used to browse old gamespot website flawlessly but this new one is talking ages to open everything ...???

P.S.- i live in INDIA...

It's fresh off launch. The servers are overtaxed and they are still trying to adjust things so they work properly. Give them a couple days to iron out the kinks and get the site working like it should. I can already tell that it's faster. A little slow still but it's getting better.

Even in the Beta, where a moderate amount of users were able to test out the new site, did the servers still go as slow as it is now....

#360 Edited by Shottayouth13- (6689 posts) -

The mobile version of the site is much better than the desktop version. It's like it was designed mobile first and the desktop version was just an afterthought.

#361 Posted by Shottayouth13- (6689 posts) -

I shouldn't have to scroll up just to navigate back to the topic listing page.

Design should aid the user, not hinder them.

#362 Posted by PinkiePirate (2081 posts) -

I have to say one thing. Having user's names cut-off because they are "too long" to fit in the column is not cool.

#363 Posted by iHarlequin (1789 posts) -

Not the proper time to do this question - people take time to get accustomed to a new layout, so it's evident the initial reaction will be generally unfavorable. Personally, I prefer it to the old one.

#364 Posted by fueled-system (6223 posts) -

My username being cutoff is annoying though I do love the quick links on the boards... Hopefully levels will be shown when posting

#365 Posted by one_plum (6299 posts) -

Site is too slow.

#366 Edited by KillerLiew (619 posts) -

Seriously, the new sites is way too confusing. Might need sometimes to get familiar with. :(

#367 Posted by Aquat1cF1sh (10846 posts) -

The new site gets a meh out of 10 from me... so far. Let's see how it runs once all the bugs are gone.

#368 Posted by Pierst179 (10680 posts) -

Like others have said, the initial reaction will never be very positive. Human beings don't react very well to change, and that is especially true for something that had been around for such a long while as GS' old version was.

I like the design, and the little issues will go away as time goes by.

I have worked with systems, and transitions like this one don't work like magic. It is always ugly and dirty, but the final product tends to come out nicely at the end.

#369 Posted by CptJSparrow (10897 posts) -

Are views really necessary? I'd rather see the total posts and the new posts.

Yeah, I'm having to backtrack through the threads to see new posts...

#370 Posted by WhiteKnight77 (12018 posts) -

They added navigation to the bottom of the page finally. That is one step, with about another 100 to go.

#371 Posted by foxhound_fox (86842 posts) -

Apparently clicking on the topic automatically jumps to last post.

#372 Edited by sammyjenkis898 (27935 posts) -

Does this actually work for anyone? I've tried it and nothing.

#373 Posted by CountBleck12 (22494 posts) -

Definitely the old site...

#374 Edited by foxhound_fox (86842 posts) -

@foxhound_fox said:

I saw the little note at the top of the board page, but I haven't had any success. The notifications window "X person mentioned you in a comment" does jump to that particular post. So the system works, they just need to fix the issue.

#375 Posted by Lu_Bu01 (13539 posts) -

@foxhound_fox said:

clicking on the little arrows next to the topics and the latest user to post will take you to the last post, but if you want to start at unread posts that is kinda useless

#376 Posted by Guppy507 (17395 posts) -

Hey, avatars work now.

Still fucking slow though.

#377 Posted by Shottayouth13- (6689 posts) -

The text in the textboxes are hard to see. It's a dark grey colour, near black.

It would be nice if it was changed back to white.

#378 Posted by artphotodude (2 posts) -

While the 'Ubuntu' styling is OK, the functionality is awful. Had to change my user agent to fool it into letting go mobile just to post this comment (waited over a minute and was still not able to type a reply - and I have a pretty peppy computer and decent DSL).

Bloated/Poorly designed Javascript is JUST AS BAD OR WORSE than Bloated/Poorly designed Flash!

#379 Posted by Guppy507 (17395 posts) -

@Lu_Bu01 said:

@sammyjenkis898 said:
@foxhound_fox said:

clicking on the little arrows next to the topics and the latest user to post will take you to the last post, but if you want to start at unread posts that is kinda useless

The >> thing seems to take me to my most recent post in a given thread. YMMV I guess?

#380 Edited by sogni_belli (950 posts) -

I'm underwhelmed. Pages load slow as maple syrup and the videos don't seem to be loading at all. I'll give it a week to see if they can work out the kinks.

#381 Edited by AussieePet (11424 posts) -

@Chow_Mein_Kampf:

I hate the white backboard, why can't i change it back to black ?

#382 Posted by BossPerson (9366 posts) -

so goddamn slow

#383 Edited by Diablo-B (4019 posts) -

I like the new site over all. Change is hard of course and there are a number a bugs to be worked out. But I think in time the changes will be for the better.

I really like how the mobile version of the site looks and works now.

The main page on the full version of the site looks a bit to jumbled together IMO

Anyone know if there are emotes?

#384 Posted by Mr_Cumberdale (10187 posts) -

I like how the new site looks. It'll take a few days before I can really give it a grade.

Only thing I'm not liking is how slow the pages load.

#385 Posted by Jebus213 (8703 posts) -
@Diablo-B said:

Change is hard of course

I visit 6 forums on a regular basis.

This one is terrible. The layout/UI is nothing to get use to.

I'm still deciding whether to leave or not. I can't find another forum this active and fun to post on.

#386 Edited by JasonDarksavior (9325 posts) -

Everything is slower and it's annoying to navigate.

#387 Edited by Reanemeiko (39 posts) -

Maybe because im not used to it.. I just felt that the old site is much user friendly.. ahehehe

#388 Edited by Toph_Girl250 (47533 posts) -

I'd say Old Site, this new site actually doesn't look THAT bad to me, not super horrible, and I think it does have some new interesting features/characteristics, but the old site I still think had the better stuff/better statistics and such, not as hard to navigate too I'm sure. I think between new site and old site, the pros about the old site outweigh the cons.

#389 Posted by Jebus213 (8703 posts) -

Maybe because im not used to it.. I just felt that the old site is much user friendly.. ahehehe

The old site is way more user friendly.

#390 Posted by Toph_Girl250 (47533 posts) -

The mobile version of the site is much better than the desktop version. It's like it was designed mobile first and the desktop version was just an afterthought.

That may be one of the main issues these days, mobile devices becoming too much of a craze and being used too much by too many people, so now corps for some reason feel its best to make bizarre new designs for sites to appeal more for mobile devices, which clearly imo isn't as good and just makes things more complex, ugh, makes me miss the days of just solely desktops/laptops being used for internet connection.

#391 Posted by Shottayouth13- (6689 posts) -

@Shottayouth13- said:

That may be one of the main issues these days, mobile devices becoming too much of a craze and being used too much by too many people, so now corps for some reason feel its best to make bizarre new designs for sites to appeal more for mobile devices, which clearly imo isn't as good and just makes things more complex, ugh, makes me miss the days of just solely desktops/laptops being used for internet connection.

Yup. But what can you do? You have to get with the times.

Speaking as a web developer this shift to mobile just makes my job that much harder >_>

#392 Posted by coolbeans90 (21305 posts) -

I like that the numbers have been cut out of my username by sheer luck.

#393 Posted by lightleggy (15836 posts) -

Old site by far.

I'm not even talking about stability issues, it's pretty obvious that a new site will be crawling with them for the first few days or even weeks (although the beta did lasted like 6 days or so..)

My biggest issue so far is that the site is completely cluttered, it's like they just grab the biggest amount of content they can and dumb it into a single page, it's very hard to look at because of this, it's not tidy, it's a huge mess, I liked the old GS because it was far more structured.

Navigation is also pretty horrible, I'm really missing the old posting history.

#394 Posted by coolbeans90 (21305 posts) -

>tfw TDH's free zetaboards is still better

#395 Posted by Swanogt19 (24159 posts) -

Like some of the new additions. But I really don't like the new layout/look.

#396 Edited by BranKetra (47468 posts) -

@Shottayouth13- said:

I prefer the desktop version for forums because there is more information available than in the mobile or restore down version such as usernames for who made threads, the most recent poster in said threads, and avatars. That said, the mobile version is good for quick posting, yet I prefer the full experience of GameSpot and the choice for it.

#397 Posted by Jebus213 (8703 posts) -

>tfw TDH's free zetaboards is still better

Just signed up.

Time to move on.

#398 Edited by tubbs8719 (5 posts) -

This new site is terrible. They took away some things that I loved about the old site. I know they may be still fixing some bugs, but it loads way slower than the old site and I don't like the layout. I hope they change it back.

#399 Posted by iampenguin (223 posts) -

Quoting looks like utter shit...............

You are the most negative person I've met on GS and with the foulest mouth.

#400 Posted by 2mrw (4957 posts) -

Good changes

the quotation and the replay system

It's now easy to change your avatar

Very bad changes

The whole SW layout is bad, and since I am always on SW, it's pretty much GS for me ... then if SW is bad, then the whole site is bad

the Whole thing seems more complex