It's black history month, brah!! Have you been getting yo learn on?

This topic is locked from further discussion.

Capitan_Kid

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

#1 Capitan_Kid
Member since 2009 • 6700 Posts
I'm learning right now. Black people made traffic lights, incandescent light bulbs, and golf tees. Benjamin Banneker invented the white house's design. What have you learned?
Omni-Wrath

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#2 Omni-Wrath
Member since 2008 • 1970 Posts

I learned that......brah....makes me want to.......

I don't want to be banned.

Palantas

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

#3 Palantas
Member since 2002 • 15329 Posts

I've learned that Morgan Freeman, Denzel Washington, and Samuel L. Jackson are some of OT's favorite black actors.

imaps3fanboy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#4 imaps3fanboy
Member since 2009 • 11169 Posts
I don't believe in black history month, and neither does Morgan Freeman
Pirate700

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#5 Pirate700
Member since 2008 • 46465 Posts

I don't support the month nor am I still in school so no.

branketra

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 9

User Lists: 9

#6 branketra
Member since 2006 • 51726 Posts

Funny, I don't recall any mention of it at all at my school...That's sure to win some points.

mrmusicman247

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#7 mrmusicman247
Member since 2008 • 17601 Posts

inb4 Morgan Freeman doesn't belie-

I don't believe in black history month, and neither does Morgan Freemanimaps3fanboy

Damn it! :x

Capitan_Kid

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#8 Capitan_Kid

Pirate700
Interesting. Why don't you?
BMD004

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#10 BMD004
Member since 2010 • 5883 Posts

I learned that black people are historically better at athletic events than other races who don't have their own months.

Avatar image for deactivated-5b19214ec908b
deactivated-5b19214ec908b

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

#11 deactivated-5b19214ec908b
Member since 2007 • 25072 Posts

Black histort month is stupid and pointless.

Pirate700

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#12 Pirate700
Member since 2008 • 46465 Posts

[QUOTE="Pirate700"]

Capitan_Kid

Interesting. Why don't you?

I don't condone a month dedicated to race of any kind.

nocoolnamejim

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 22

#13 nocoolnamejim
Member since 2003 • 15136 Posts
I'm learning that people who use "brah" to sound black and/or tolerant should probably refrain.
branketra

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#14 branketra

I learned that black people are historically better at athletic events than other races who don't have their own months.

BMD004
Good to know.
BMD004

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#15 BMD004
I'm learning that people who use "brah" to sound black and/or tolerant should probably refrain.nocoolnamejim
Yep. Only black people say "brah".
Capitan_Kid

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#16 Capitan_Kid
I'm learning that people who use "brah" to sound black and/or tolerant should probably refrain.nocoolnamejim
Brah is not of African origin is it?! That'd be freaking awesome if so. I always considered it hawaiian.
k2theswiss

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 5

User Lists: 1

#17 k2theswiss
Member since 2007 • 16599 Posts

Pirate700
what i was about to say... i think it should be called Freedom month then a black month/
mrmusicman247

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#18 mrmusicman247
Actually a lot more black people say "bruh" not "brah" :P
BMD004

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#19 BMD004
[QUOTE="nocoolnamejim"]I'm learning that people who use "brah" to sound black and/or tolerant should probably refrain.mrmusicman247
Actually a lot more black people say "bruh" not "brah" :P

And das wassup.
Tetrarch9

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#20 Tetrarch9
Member since 2010 • 2581 Posts
No, and I don't care. Its being shoved down my and other non black peoples throast in my predominatly black highschool. Its stupid and doesn't make any sense for a race to have their own month.
MAILER_DAEMON

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

#21 MAILER_DAEMON
Member since 2003 • 45906 Posts

I've learned that "brah" is yet another annoyingly overused piece of internet lingo/meme.

BMD004

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#23 BMD004
I've learned that "brah" is yet another thing to put on my list of annoying internet memes/lingo.MAILER_DAEMON
brah and bruh have been around way longer than the internet, bruh.
BMD004

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#24 BMD004
[QUOTE="toast_burner"]

JordanizPro
Black history month is stupid?No you just ignorant.We deserve a month dedicated to us for all that we went through.

What have you gone through? And blacks aren't the only race or ethnicity who have gone through things.
imaps3fanboy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#25 imaps3fanboy
[QUOTE="toast_burner"]

JordanizPro
Black history month is stupid?No you just ignorant.We deserve a month dedicated to us for all that we went through.

are you kidding me? YOU didn't go through anything. If Black people get their own month why don't the jews? 6 million of them were killed
MAILER_DAEMON

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#26 MAILER_DAEMON
Member since 2003 • 45906 Posts
[QUOTE="BMD004"] brah and bruh have been around way longer than the internet, bruh.

Clarified in an edit.
Tetrarch9

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#27 Tetrarch9

[QUOTE="toast_burner"]

JordanizPro

You mean that your ancestors went throughdecades ago its used now atleast in my area to shove black culture down, non-black peoples throats.

mrmusicman247

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#28 mrmusicman247
[QUOTE="JordanizPro"][QUOTE="toast_burner"]

imaps3fanboy

are you kidding me? YOU didn't go through anything. If Black people get their own month why don't the jews? 6 million of them were killed

Lulz, he deleted his post. But yeah, I think black history month has turned in black celebration month.
BMD004

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#29 BMD004

I think we just got trolled.

ImaPirate0202

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

#30 ImaPirate0202
Member since 2005 • 4473 Posts

Just another double standard.

branketra

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#31 branketra
[QUOTE="Tetrarch9"][QUOTE="JordanizPro"][QUOTE="toast_burner"]

You mean that your ancestors went decades ago its used now atleast in my area to shove black culture down, non-black peoples throats.

True, racial segregation happened in the last century of the US. However that also means that some of the people who went through that are still alive, today. Call me crazy, but when I think of ancestor, I think of bloodline a little further back than parents and grandparents.
flash_drive

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#32 flash_drive
Member since 2010 • 968 Posts

I don't hate Black History Month, its just that people don't know how to celebrate it. They think that African culture= Black Culture. They are in no way the same. If you hate BHM though, then that means that you are against any kind of pride for one's race. Just thought I'd put that out there.

EDIT:

Oh, and the term "african-american" is stupid. Not all black people are from africa, and not all people from africa are black.

Tetrarch9

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#33 Tetrarch9

Just another double standard.

ImaPirate0202
Like black comedians joking whites but if it happens the other way around the white is the racist?
JordanizPro

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#34 JordanizPro
Member since 2009 • 1912 Posts
[QUOTE="imaps3fanboy"][QUOTE="JordanizPro"] Black history month is stupid?No you just ignorant.We deserve a month dedicated to us for all that we went through.mrmusicman247

Lulz, he deleted his post. But yeah, I think black history month has turned in black celebration month.

I didnt delete my post ,gamespot deleted it because they said i was "trolling"
BMD004

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#35 BMD004
[QUOTE="Tetrarch9"][QUOTE="JordanizPro"] Black history month is stupid?No you just ignorant.We deserve a month dedicated to us for all that we went through.BranKetra
You mean that your ancestors went decades ago its used now atleast in my area to shove black culture down, non-black peoples throats.

True, racial segregation happened in the last century of the US. However that also means that some of the people who went through that are still alive, today. Call me crazy, but when I think of ancestor, I think of bloodline a little further back than parents and grandparents.

There was a strong anti-Japanese sentiment for a while. Didn't they take Japanese-Americans and put them in concentration camps during WWII? They don't have their own month. I'm sure there are some still alive today... or there were plenty alive when Black History Month first started.
Avatar image for deactivated-5b19214ec908b
deactivated-5b19214ec908b

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

#36 deactivated-5b19214ec908b
Member since 2007 • 25072 Posts
I don't hate Black History Month, its just that people don't know how to celebrate it. They think that African culture= Black Culture. They are in no way the same. If you hate BHM though, then that means that you are against any kind of pride for one's race. Just thought I'd put that out there.flash_drive
I am agaisnt being proud about your race. What a pointless thing to have pride for.
imaps3fanboy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#37 imaps3fanboy

[QUOTE="BranKetra"][QUOTE="Tetrarch9"] You mean that your ancestors went decades ago its used now atleast in my area to shove black culture down, non-black peoples throats.BMD004

Jewish holocaust victims are still alive, and so are Cambodians that survived the Khmer rouge There was a strong anti-Japanese sentiment for a while. Didn't they take Japanese-Americans and put them in concentration camps during WWII? They don't have their own month. I'm sure there are some still alive today... or there were plenty alive when Black History Month first started.

there are jewish holocaust vitims still alive, as well as Cambodians thatt survived the Khmer rouge

flash_drive

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#38 flash_drive
Member since 2010 • 968 Posts
[QUOTE="flash_drive"]I don't hate Black History Month, its just that people don't know how to celebrate it. They think that African culture= Black Culture. They are in no way the same. If you hate BHM though, then that means that you are against any kind of pride for one's race. Just thought I'd put that out there.toast_burner
I am agaisnt being proud about your race. What a pointless thing to have pride for.

That's fine, I said that you would be hating on being proud of your own race not mine.
Kcube

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#39 Kcube
Member since 2003 • 25398 Posts

I learned that AL Sharpton and Jesse jackson use this month to mark for themselves.

BMD004

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#40 BMD004

[QUOTE="mrmusicman247"][QUOTE="imaps3fanboy"] are you kidding me? YOU didn't go through anything. If Black people get their own month why don't the jews? 6 million of them were killedJordanizPro

I didnt delete my post ,gamespot deleted it because they said i was "trolling"

I'm of Acadian ancestry, and we went through a LOT. Eradication, deportation, ethnic-cleansing, killing, etc. Where is my damn month so that people are educated about the Acadian people?

I even got my own flag.

branketra

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#41 branketra

[QUOTE="BranKetra"][QUOTE="Tetrarch9"] You mean that your ancestors went decades ago its used now atleast in my area to shove black culture down, non-black peoples throats.BMD004

There was a strong anti-Japanese sentiment for a while. Didn't they take Japanese-Americans and put them in concentration camps during WWII? They don't have their own month. I'm sure there are some still alive today... or there were plenty alive when Black History Month first started.

You're absolutely right. Practically speaking, however, they were enslaved for a few hundred years. They are a major reason why the U.S. is the way it is today.I don't know all the details about the Japanese "Internment Camps," but I do know that Japan has a history of isolationism. The U.S. was probably aware of this, too. They might have taken the measures they did because of that. That does not excuse their actions. If I recall, the U.S. has formally apologized.

The Japanese and African people weren't the only ones segregated against. The Chinese were essentially lied to in order to bring them to the U.S. Stories of "cities paved with gold." Nor are Europeans the only ones treating others poorly.

--

Also, I know the atrocities that occurred during WWII against Jews and that there's no Jewish history month. I have an idea about it, although it might seem a little rude: If you look back in history, Jews have been persecuted many times. WWII is but one of many. If I had to guess, they probably chose to humbly perservere, rather than go the route the enslaved Africans.

If anything can be learned from all this, it's that every ethniticy has it's share of good and bad apples.

zoraluv

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#42 zoraluv
Member since 2010 • 8319 Posts

what about asian month, hispanic month, any all the other people-month

Tetrarch9

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#43 Tetrarch9
[QUOTE="flash_drive"]I don't hate Black History Month, its just that people don't know how to celebrate it. They think that African culture= Black Culture. They are in no way the same. If you hate BHM though, then that means that you are against any kind of pride for one's race. Just thought I'd put that out there.toast_burner

Couldn't agree more. It just breeds racism.
darkfox101

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#44 darkfox101
Member since 2004 • 7055 Posts
I like cotton
mrmusicman247

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#45 mrmusicman247

what about asian month, hispanic month, any all the other people-month

zoraluv
Actually there is a Hispanic Heritage Month :P
Capitan_Kid

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#46 Capitan_Kid
[QUOTE="toast_burner"][QUOTE="flash_drive"]I don't hate Black History Month, its just that people don't know how to celebrate it. They think that African culture= Black Culture. They are in no way the same. If you hate BHM though, then that means that you are against any kind of pride for one's race. Just thought I'd put that out there.Tetrarch9

Really? There's nothing wrong with having pride in your race. I'm PROUD of my ancestors who survived through persecution. I'm here thanks to them and I'm proud of what black people have done for this country, brah.
BMD004

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#47 BMD004
[QUOTE="toast_burner"][QUOTE="flash_drive"]I don't hate Black History Month, its just that people don't know how to celebrate it. They think that African culture= Black Culture. They are in no way the same. If you hate BHM though, then that means that you are against any kind of pride for one's race. Just thought I'd put that out there.Tetrarch9

I don't think it's wrong to be proud of your race / culture. I like my ethnic culture. LIke I said, I'm of Acadian ancestry. There are a lot of traditions and culture in New Orleans. It's a whole Louisiana culture. The Japanese have their culture, the Mexicans, Jewish people, black Americans, etc. Celebrating your culture is a good thing, imo.
imaps3fanboy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#48 imaps3fanboy

I disagree.. I think it's important for people to identify with the people that came before them, gives a sort of self image, which isn't necessarily a good thing, but I think it's more of a good thing than a bad thing.
konvikt_17

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#49 konvikt_17
Member since 2008 • 22378 Posts

well brah, i was unaware that iw as black history month:P

mrmusicman247

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#50 mrmusicman247

Not really. It's more or less like being proud of your favorite sports team. Should people not have a favorite sports team?