It's black history month, brah!! Have you been getting yo learn on?

This topic is locked from further discussion.

Avatar image for deactivated-5b19214ec908b
deactivated-5b19214ec908b

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

User Lists: 0

#51 deactivated-5b19214ec908b
Member since 2007 • 25072 Posts

[QUOTE="Tetrarch9"][QUOTE="toast_burner"] I am agaisnt being proud about your race. What a pointless thing to have pride for.mrmusicman247
Couldn't agree more. It just breeds racism.

Not really. It's more or less like being proud of your favorite sports team. Should people not have a favorite sports team?

I'm pretty sure having a favorite race is racist :P

TheNewEraIcon

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 10

#52 TheNewEraIcon
Member since 2009 • 12196 Posts

What the hell is up with all the race thread on OT all the sudden? LOL

Anyways I'd have to agree with what others have said that if there is a month devoted to one group, other groups should get a month devoted to them as well. I don't see black people as any different than the rest of the world, I just see them as people, same way I'd see myself or a white person

k2theswiss

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 5

User Lists: 1

#53 k2theswiss
Member since 2007 • 16599 Posts

[QUOTE="imaps3fanboy"][QUOTE="JordanizPro"] Black history month is stupid?No you just ignorant.We deserve a month dedicated to us for all that we went through.mrmusicman247
are you kidding me? YOU didn't go through anything. If Black people get their own month why don't the jews? 6 million of them were killed

Lulz, he deleted his post. But yeah, I think black history month has turned in black celebration month.

ya i seen that

flash_drive

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

#54 flash_drive
Member since 2010 • 968 Posts
[QUOTE="Tetrarch9"][QUOTE="toast_burner"] I am agaisnt being proud about your race. What a pointless thing to have pride for.Capitan_Kid

Really? There's nothing wrong with having pride in your race. I'm PROUD of my ancestors who survived through persecution. I'm here thanks to them and I'm proud of what black people have done for this country, brah.

Oh, and were all racist to an extent, what matters is how you act upon it. I don't walk around saying black power or anything, I'm just calling it like I see it.
mrmusicman247

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#55 mrmusicman247
Member since 2008 • 17601 Posts

[QUOTE="mrmusicman247"][QUOTE="Tetrarch9"] Couldn't agree more. It just breeds racism. toast_burner

Not really. It's more or less like being proud of your favorite sports team. Should people not have a favorite sports team?

I'm pretty sure having a favorite race is racist :P

Only if it's your own race :P
Tetrarch9

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#56 Tetrarch9
Member since 2010 • 2581 Posts
[QUOTE="Tetrarch9"][QUOTE="toast_burner"] I am agaisnt being proud about your race. What a pointless thing to have pride for.Capitan_Kid

Really? There's nothing wrong with having pride in your race. I'm PROUD of my ancestors who survived through persecution. I'm here thanks to them and I'm proud of what black people have done for this country, brah.

So if I said White Power right now what would be your reaction? And here where I live in The southern U.S The racism is rampant as it is. Things like this just bring it out more.
Lief_Ericson

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#57 Lief_Ericson
Member since 2005 • 7082 Posts

I learned Morgan Freeman is still the chillest mother****er on the planet

zoraluv

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#58 zoraluv
Member since 2010 • 8319 Posts

[QUOTE="zoraluv"]

what about asian month, hispanic month, any all the other people-month

mrmusicman247

Actually there is a Hispanic Heritage Month :P

its not as popular :?

imaps3fanboy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#59 imaps3fanboy
Member since 2009 • 11169 Posts

[QUOTE="Capitan_Kid"][QUOTE="Tetrarch9"] Couldn't agree more. It just breeds racism. Tetrarch9

So if I said White Power right now what would be your reaction? And here where I live in The southern U.S The racism is rampant as it is. Things like this just bring it out more.

Thats doing it wrong, it's one thing to be proud of your race, and its another thing NOT to appreciate other races, there's a certain way of going about it

k2theswiss

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 5

User Lists: 1

#60 k2theswiss
Member since 2007 • 16599 Posts

Anyways I'd have to agree with what others have said that if there is a month devoted to one group, other groups should get a month devoted to them as well. I don't see black people as any different than the rest of the world, I just see them as people, same way I'd see myself or a white person

TheNewEraIcon
that's are generation for you... i hope when our generation takes over the house it gets removed. These kinda of things feeds fire to race conflict's around the world because basically your saying one is more special then the other.
imaps3fanboy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#61 imaps3fanboy
Member since 2009 • 11169 Posts

Lief_Ericson
Word has it, that he's a honey badger
branketra

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 9

User Lists: 9

#62 branketra
Member since 2006 • 51726 Posts
[QUOTE="Capitan_Kid"][QUOTE="Tetrarch9"] Couldn't agree more. It just breeds racism. Tetrarch9

Well, the reason why that saying is associated with racism is because the people who said it the most just happen to be racists. There isn't anything wrong with being proud of who you are. It's when people start with that "Master Race" stuff, bad things happen.
TheNewEraIcon

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 10

#63 TheNewEraIcon
Member since 2009 • 12196 Posts

[QUOTE="TheNewEraIcon"]

k2theswiss

that's are generation for you... i hope when our generation takes over the house it gets removed. These kinda of things feeds fire to race conflict's around the world because basically your saying one is more special then the other.

Same here man, In Serbia where I am its even worse race is like this every day subject. I feel the same way about any race exclusive things as well, same things go for all black colleges and stuff. To me that makes the race issue even worse

mrmusicman247

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#64 mrmusicman247

[QUOTE="mrmusicman247"][QUOTE="zoraluv"]

what about asian month, hispanic month, any all the other people-month

zoraluv

Actually there is a Hispanic Heritage Month :P

Indeed. But to be fair, black history month was here longer. As i've said before, black history month isn't really about the history anymore. It's just..Black Month.
Capitan_Kid

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#65 Capitan_Kid
Member since 2009 • 6700 Posts

I'd say power to you my melanin lacking brotha!! There's nothing wrong with it. You can say yellow power, brown power, or purple power. A little pride is good.
branketra

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#66 branketra
[QUOTE="zoraluv"]

[QUOTE="mrmusicman247"] Actually there is a Hispanic Heritage Month :Pmrmusicman247

Indeed. But to be fair, black history month was here longer. As i've said before, black history month isn't really about the history anymore. It's just..Black Month.

Is it really? Serious question.
mrmusicman247

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#67 mrmusicman247

[QUOTE="mrmusicman247"][QUOTE="zoraluv"]

BranKetra

Is it really? Serious question.

I should have added a "imo" at the end. :P

WiiMan21

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 12

#68 WiiMan21
Member since 2007 • 8191 Posts

Is it just me, or does it seem like black history month is almost all the time?

muffincakes87

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#69 muffincakes87
Member since 2008 • 3913 Posts

Isn't black history month just a consequense of putting black people as slaves for hundred of years and then segregating them?

If anyone cares, this man explains black history month beautifully.

Wopps

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#71 Wopps
Member since 2003 • 2373 Posts

Why isn't there a white history month?

Gaming-Planet

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 14

#72 Gaming-Planet
Member since 2008 • 21064 Posts

I learned that we still have a lot of ignorance with black history month.

branketra

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#74 branketra
[QUOTE="Capitan_Kid"][QUOTE="Pirate700"]

I don't support the month nor am I still in school so no.

Hemmaroids
Interesting. Why don't you?

As the great Booker Taliaferro Washington said, "I have always been made sad when I have heard members of any race claiming rights and privileges, or certain badges of distinction, on the ground simply that they were members of this or that race, regardless of their own individual worth or attainments. I have been made to feel sad for such persons because I am conscious of the fact that mere connection with what is known as a race will not permanently carry an individual forward unless he has individual worth, and mere connection with what is regarded as an inferior race will not finally hold an individual back if he possesses intrinsic, individual merit. Every persecuted individual and race should get much consolation out of the great human law, which is universal and eternal, that merit, no matter under what skin found, is, in the long run, recognized and rewarded."

Agreed. Supposedly, I'm closely related to the Masai Warriors of Africa. However, that does not make me one, because I haven't lived as them or even with them. I know little of their customs; in order to be considered a man, a boy must kill a lion...their clothing, weapons, the 'big smiles. That's about it.
Lief_Ericson

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#75 Lief_Ericson
Member since 2005 • 7082 Posts
[QUOTE="Lief_Ericson"]

imaps3fanboy
Word has it, that he's a honey badger

No way!!?? :o
muffincakes87

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#76 muffincakes87

[QUOTE="Capitan_Kid"][QUOTE="Pirate700"]

I don't support the month nor am I still in school so no.

Hemmaroids

Interesting. Why don't you?

As the great Booker Taliaferro Washington said, "I have always been made sad when I have heard members of any race claiming rights and privileges, or certain badges of distinction, on the ground simply that they were members of this or that race, regardless of their own individual worth or attainments. I have been made to feel sad for such persons because I am conscious of the fact that mere connection with what is known as a race will not permanently carry an individual forward unless he has individual worth, and mere connection with what is regarded as an inferior race will not finally hold an individual back if he possesses intrinsic, individual merit. Every persecuted individual and race should get much consolation out of the great human law, which is universal and eternal, that merit, no matter under what skin found, is, in the long run, recognized and rewarded."

Doesn't that sentence kinda promote the idea that Brooker would have supported black history month?

Brooker wasn't alive during the establishment of black history month. I'm pretty sure Brooker would support a month that celebreated his people's culture, and a month that always reminded people that the U.S. supported such backward laws.

majoras_wrath

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

#77 majoras_wrath
Member since 2005 • 6062 Posts
[QUOTE="nocoolnamejim"]I'm learning that people who use "brah" to sound black and/or tolerant should probably refrain.Capitan_Kid
Brah is not of African origin is it?! That'd be freaking awesome if so. I always considered it hawaiian.

What is this I don't even. :lol:
bigdcstile

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#79 bigdcstile
Member since 2004 • 2236 Posts
[QUOTE="muffincakes87"]

[QUOTE="Hemmaroids"] As the great Booker Taliaferro Washington said, "I have always been made sad when I have heard members of any race claiming rights and privileges, or certain badges of distinction, on the ground simply that they were members of this or that race, regardless of their own individual worth or attainments. I have been made to feel sad for such persons because I am conscious of the fact that mere connection with what is known as a race will not permanently carry an individual forward unless he has individual worth, and mere connection with what is regarded as an inferior race will not finally hold an individual back if he possesses intrinsic, individual merit. Every persecuted individual and race should get much consolation out of the great human law, which is universal and eternal, that merit, no matter under what skin found, is, in the long run, recognized and rewarded."Hemmaroids

Doesn't that sentence kinda promote the idea that Brooker would have supported black history month?

Brooker wasn't alive during the establishment of black history month. I'm pretty sure Brooker would support a month that celebreated his people's culture, and a month that always reminded people that the U.S. supported such backward laws.

Good argument, however why don't he have a white history month, Hispanic history month, Chinese history month, etc.

But there are. Save for 'White' history month, there are Asian/Pacific, Hispanic, Native American, Women's Heritage and other months.
Capitan_Kid

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#80 Capitan_Kid
[QUOTE="muffincakes87"]

[QUOTE="Hemmaroids"] As the great Booker Taliaferro Washington said, "I have always been made sad when I have heard members of any race claiming rights and privileges, or certain badges of distinction, on the ground simply that they were members of this or that race, regardless of their own individual worth or attainments. I have been made to feel sad for such persons because I am conscious of the fact that mere connection with what is known as a race will not permanently carry an individual forward unless he has individual worth, and mere connection with what is regarded as an inferior race will not finally hold an individual back if he possesses intrinsic, individual merit. Every persecuted individual and race should get much consolation out of the great human law, which is universal and eternal, that merit, no matter under what skin found, is, in the long run, recognized and rewarded."Hemmaroids

Good argument, however why don't he have a white history month, Hispanic history month, Chinese history month, etc.

We have 11 white history months.
The-Tree

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#82 The-Tree
Member since 2010 • 3315 Posts

I haven't learned anything about black people during Black History Month since I was in elementary school. :P

muffincakes87

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#83 muffincakes87

Good argument, however why don't he have a white history month, Hispanic history month, Chinese history month, etc.Hemmaroids

Well, the whole point of black history month isn't a guilt month for white people to hold for the rest time. It's to recongize the greatness of black culture, which is absolutely essential to to U.S. history. They overcame slavery, segragation, and complete hatred, and that itself should recongized no matter what skin color you are. It should be celebrated because that at its core, is the greatness of human beings. Are ability to overcome. It's the same reason the American Revolution was such a big deal.

coltgames

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

#84 coltgames
Member since 2009 • 2120 Posts

black people are some of the best comedians i think dave chapelle is awesome, miss that dude

Kcube

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#86 Kcube
Member since 2003 • 25398 Posts

[QUOTE="Hemmaroids"][QUOTE="muffincakes87"]

Capitan_Kid

That is still the most pathetic thing I hear:roll:

bigdcstile

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#87 bigdcstile

[QUOTE="bigdcstile"][QUOTE="Hemmaroids"] Good argument, however why don't he have a white history month, Hispanic history month, Chinese history month, etc.Hemmaroids

But there are. Save for 'White' history month, there are Asian/Pacific, Hispanic, Native American, Women's Heritage and other months.

And basically it is discrimination. I don't get upset about not having a month named after a particular race or culture (since I don't believe in race to begin with. We are all human) but some people will argue for "such and such" race to have a month named after them. It leads to greed in my opinion, in pursuit of a month being honored for something as social construct as "race".

If you look through the history months, almost everyone has one. From Senior Citizens (Older Americans Month in May) to people with disabilities (National Disability Employment Awareness Month in October) and they're usually started as a means to garner votes and supports from whatever demographic that's being 'honored'. Each month may have a less dubious purpose to some, but really they matter not. There's a reason there's no White American History Month and it's mainly because they're the ones that are creating and incorporating these months. They're the status quo so there's no political benefit to do so. But I have a question: Where is this thought process coming from that anything done for the benefit of the non majority is created on the basis of some touchy feeling idea of equality or awareness?
Oborozukiyo

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#89 Oborozukiyo
Member since 2007 • 1967 Posts
Being confined to one month out of the year to get my learns doesn't feel right.
cybrcatter

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#90 cybrcatter
Member since 2003 • 16210 Posts

I learned that AL Sharpton and Jesse jackson use this month to mark for themselves.

Kcube

bigdcstile

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#91 bigdcstile

[QUOTE="Hemmaroids"]

Good argument, however why don't he have a white history month, Hispanic history month, Chinese history month, etc.muffincakes87

Well, the whole point of black history month isn't a guilt month for white people to hold for the rest time. It's to regionize the greatness of black culture, which is abssolutely essential to to U.S. history. They overcame slavery, segragation, and compelete hatred, and that itself should recongized no matter what skin color you are. It should be celebrated because that at its core, is the greatness of human beings. Are ability to overcome. It's the same reason the American Revolution was such a big deal.

Not really that but, for a good chunk of American History, the advances, accomplishments and contributions to American History, literature, the arts and sciences, and education was omitted completely.
bigdcstile

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#92 bigdcstile
Can you please rephrase your question bigd, I can't quite comprehend on what you are pidiendo me.Hemmaroids
Was not much directed toward you but to anyone that could answer it in general. There's this belief, if you can call it that, that anything done to celebrate or bring awareness to non straight WASPs is somehow done to appease those people when, if there were no political upside to it, they'd be generally ignored.
Avatar image for MetalGear_Ninty
MetalGear_Ninty

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#93 MetalGear_Ninty
Member since 2008 • 6337 Posts
People want to end or limit racism as much as possible yet simulaneously advocate, promote and propogate the artifically constructed idea of 'race'. Silly, silly people.
muffincakes87

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#94 muffincakes87

[QUOTE="muffincakes87"]

[QUOTE="Hemmaroids"]

Good argument, however why don't he have a white history month, Hispanic history month, Chinese history month, etc.bigdcstile

Well, the whole point of black history month isn't a guilt month for white people to hold for the rest time. It's to regionize the greatness of black culture, which is abssolutely essential to to U.S. history. They overcame slavery, segragation, and compelete hatred, and that itself should recongized no matter what skin color you are. It should be celebrated because that at its core, is the greatness of human beings. Are ability to overcome. It's the same reason the American Revolution was such a big deal.

Not really that but, for a good chunk of American History, the advances, accomplishments and contributions to American History, literature, the arts and sciences, and education was omitted completely.

Well of course, I was only explaining reason that black history isn't trying to exluded itself from other races. It's the we can all relate and recongize the struggles in black history. That the struggle is completely universal and their contributions, like you said, is esstential to American history.

Capitan_Kid

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#95 Capitan_Kid

[QUOTE="Capitan_Kid"][QUOTE="Hemmaroids"] Good argument, however why don't he have a white history month, Hispanic history month, Chinese history month, etc.Kcube

Most if not all the history you learned in school was from a white eurocentric view.
MgamerBD

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#97 MgamerBD
Member since 2006 • 17550 Posts
Well right now I'm learning in OT about how intolerant to a month that no one cares about can be. Hooray to racism or how OT puts it. "Reverse racism" :roll:
Serraph105

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#98 Serraph105
Member since 2007 • 36044 Posts

yeah.......I made a new friend

bigdcstile

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#99 bigdcstile

[QUOTE="Capitan_Kid"][QUOTE="Kcube"]

Hemmaroids

Most if not all the history you learned in school was from a white eurocentric view.

I beg to differ since I attended an urban inner-city school :roll:

Please elaborate on how your so enlightened experience proves his point wrong.

789shadow

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

#100 789shadow
Member since 2006 • 20195 Posts

Why do we have this month again?