Insight to Atheism

This topic is locked from further discussion.

LJS9502_basic

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

#101 LJS9502_basic
Member since 2003 • 178858 Posts

[QUOTE="LJS9502_basic"][QUOTE="Diophage"] I do, too. I mean, even if you disagree with some of it, quite a bit of that still made sense. Johnny_Rock

What I got of the OP was.....TC doesn't like religion and he blames it for everything. Nothing new or exciting here.

Well, that's more than you divulged in your original post. Getting a cohesive thought out of you is like pulling teeth.

Wasn't planning on staying up late. Or getting into this discussion. I have to get up for work in 5 hours. But I said what I thought. I disagreed with it. Not sure why more needed to be said. It's not like saying more makes me disagree any less.
DarkGamer007

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#102 DarkGamer007
Member since 2008 • 6033 Posts

i dont care for this,religions are cults full of brainwashed people living in fear of sin.i believe that yes there was a man named jesus and he brainwashed people into his religion to think he was the son of god...wake the **** up people.

yous are brainwashed,all the proof you need is just by watching one show of benny hinn early in the morning,just look at all those people falling over and having fake seizures just cause he touched them! yous would belive anything as long as its in the name of "god".

damojeebs

There exists more than one religion and they are all different. Religions are not necessarily "cults", can they turn into them or can a small group of one become one? Yes, obviously but the same can be said for any group. Secondly Jesus was never technically a Christian, as Christianity really did not exist until after his death. (If I am wrong about that please let me know. :) ).

GreySeal9

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 41

#103 GreySeal9
Member since 2010 • 28247 Posts

[QUOTE="the_plan_man"][QUOTE="wis3boi"] the person who left it there was from the catholic church across the streetchessmaster1989

I completely agree with LJ. Atheists can call Christian beliefs "stupid" to their face, thus, shoving their ideology onto Christians, but you get upset when Christians do the same to everyone else? Major double standard.

Eh, wis3boi clarified back on page 2 that he didn't mean that atheists should preach atheism and Christians shouldn't, he meant that atheists should be entitled to their beliefs as should Christians, and that neither should be trying to preach their views to others.

It's understandable why you'd misinterpret his original post because it wasn't worded well, but now that he cleared it up it shouldn't be a continued issue...

Agreed.

PS2_ROCKS

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#104 PS2_ROCKS
Member since 2003 • 4679 Posts
[QUOTE="-Tish-"]

[QUOTE="LJS9502_basic"] I'm not one to tell anyone their beliefs are wrong....LJS9502_basic

Someone's gotta be wrong. We can't all be right.

Or can we? :o

I think the important thing is doing the right things in life. Would there a be major hang up if one believed the wrong denomination? I wouldn't imagine. I don't necessarily agree that a good person that didn't attend a faith would be condemned either. That is not for me to say....

John 3:18 may be slightly insightful here. 18 Whoever believes in him is not condemned, but whoever does not believe stands condemned already because they have not believed in the name of God's one and only Son. I think it would be kind of backwards if someone simply lived a "good life" and expected heaven at the end of it all. It's like I want to go to heaven but have nothing to do with God in the meantime.
Ace6301

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

#105 Ace6301
Member since 2005 • 21389 Posts

[QUOTE="damojeebs"]

i dont care for this,religions are cults full of brainwashed people living in fear of sin.i believe that yes there was a man named jesus and he brainwashed people into his religion to think he was the son of god...wake the **** up people.

yous are brainwashed,all the proof you need is just by watching one show of benny hinn early in the morning,just look at all those people falling over and having fake seizures just cause he touched them! yous would belive anything as long as its in the name of "god".

DarkGamer007

There exists more than one religion and they are all different. Religions are not necessarily "cults", can they turn into them or can a small group of one become one? Yes, obviously but the same can be said for any group. Secondly Jesus was never technically a Christian, as Christianity really did not exist until after his death. (If I am wrong about that please let me know. :) ).

Jesus believed he was the lord and savior, right? So I guess he kind of was a Christian.
iliatay

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#106 iliatay
Member since 2008 • 1325 Posts
[QUOTE="THE_DRUGGIE"]

[QUOTE="iliatay"]

I do realize that i bashed religion alot in there but i did it mostly for compare and contrast way of developing my arguements. Keeping religion and beliefs to yourself can still drive religious corruption. There is no reason to believe in these thousand year-old ideas.

Thanks for the feedback

LJS9502_basic

Did you consider my earlier comment about collectivism vs. individualism not being exclusive to religion and the conflicts that can happen on a philosophical bases between the two paradigms as well as within?

No. That doesn't help his anti religious slant....

You seem very angry and butthurt. be constructive or gtfo. Druggie I think that atheists are individualists because generally people who are self dependant do not look for the need to depend on a higher power while religous people tend to do. However it is wrong to say they are exclusive to eachother because its just a relatively weak correlation based on observation of other people.
the_plan_man

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#107 the_plan_man
Member since 2011 • 1664 Posts

[QUOTE="LJS9502_basic"][QUOTE="THE_DRUGGIE"]

Did you consider my earlier comment about collectivism vs. individualism not being exclusive to religion and the conflicts that can happen on a philosophical bases between the two paradigms as well as within?

iliatay

You seem very angry and butthurt. be constructive or gtfo. Druggie I think that atheists are individualists because generally people who are self dependant do not look for the need to depend on a higher power while religous people tend to do. However it is wrong to say they are exclusive to eachother because its just a relatively weak correlation based on observation of other people.

BS. Atheists aren't individualists...they just tune into these liberal shows like Real Time with Bill Maher or Seth Macfarlane cartoons and say "I'll look so badass if I start talking liking one of them...take that society! Hu-hulk, ain't I smart." Atheists really aren't that intelligent...just look around the internet. I'd say for the most part, atheists are some of the most brainwashed individuals I've ever met.

THE_DRUGGIE

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 140

#108 THE_DRUGGIE
Member since 2006 • 25107 Posts

iliatay

But I'm an atheist who leans more toward collectivism because I tend to view cooperation with other people as more of a boon than treating a single person as an island.

Shadow4020

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#109 Shadow4020
Member since 2007 • 2097 Posts

[QUOTE="iliatay"][QUOTE="LJS9502_basic"] No. That doesn't help his anti religious slant....the_plan_man

BS. Atheists aren't individualists...they just tune into these liberal shows like Real Time with Bill Maher or Seth Macfarlane cartoons and say "I'll look so badass if I start talking liking one of them...take that society! Hu-hulk, ain't I smart." Atheists really aren't that intelligent...just look around the internet. I'd say for the most part, atheists are some of the most brainwashed individuals I've ever met.

So you think they are atheists, so that they look cool and that they don't actually believe it?

Just asking, because I stand by my beliefs, and not because I think I'll be "sticking" it to society.

Avatar image for deactivated-597bb01c846a2
deactivated-597bb01c846a2

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: -3

#110 deactivated-597bb01c846a2
Member since 2011 • 1495 Posts

[QUOTE="iliatay"][QUOTE="LJS9502_basic"] No. That doesn't help his anti religious slant....the_plan_man

This guy is right. A lot of the so called atheists are just as much morons as their religious counter parts. I mean, just go read the comments on the Amazing Atheist's videos on Youtube. Lots of idiots, and many of them are atheists.
the_plan_man

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#111 the_plan_man

[QUOTE="the_plan_man"]

[QUOTE="iliatay"] You seem very angry and butthurt. be constructive or gtfo. Druggie I think that atheists are individualists because generally people who are self dependant do not look for the need to depend on a higher power while religous people tend to do. However it is wrong to say they are exclusive to eachother because its just a relatively weak correlation based on observation of other people.Shadow4020

So you think they are atheists, so that they look cool and that they don't actually believe it?

Just asking, because I stand by my beliefs, and not because I think I'll be "sticking" it to society.

There are not that many people who actually challange the reality we live in. People are sheep. Some people flock to the conservative side, some people flock to the liberal/atheist side...gives them a feeling of belonging. People can make up for their poor self-esteem if they have a nice little group they are in who believes they are "rational"...even if they don't fully understand what's actually being said.

Avatar image for deactivated-59913425220eb
deactivated-59913425220eb

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#112 deactivated-59913425220eb
Member since 2002 • 1772 Posts

A classic Athiestic argument. Very convincing, Sometimes it seems easier to not belief in God, the arguments against the existence of God do sound very convincing I admit, very clever. But something is missing....

Shadow4020

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#113 Shadow4020
Member since 2007 • 2097 Posts

[QUOTE="Shadow4020"]

[QUOTE="the_plan_man"]

the_plan_man

There are not that many people who actually challange the reality we live in. People are sheep. Some people flock to the conservative side, some people flock to the liberal/atheist side...gives them a feeling of belonging. People can make up for their poor self-esteem if they have a nice little group they are in who believes they are "rational"...even if they don't fully understand what's actually being said.

I agree in a sense that that happens on both sides.

ernie1989

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#114 ernie1989
Member since 2004 • 8547 Posts

Who said an athiest couldn't be religious?

tenaka2

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#115 tenaka2
Member since 2004 • 17958 Posts

I'm atheist and I also disagree with your post. Religion and Atheism can quite happily live side by side.

LJS9502_basic

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#116 LJS9502_basic

[QUOTE="LJS9502_basic"][QUOTE="-Tish-"] Someone's gotta be wrong. We can't all be right.

Or can we? :o

PS2_ROCKS

I think the important thing is doing the right things in life. Would there a be major hang up if one believed the wrong denomination? I wouldn't imagine. I don't necessarily agree that a good person that didn't attend a faith would be condemned either. That is not for me to say....

John 3:18 may be slightly insightful here. 18 Whoever believes in him is not condemned, but whoever does not believe stands condemned already because they have not believed in the name of God's one and only Son. I think it would be kind of backwards if someone simply lived a "good life" and expected heaven at the end of it all. It's like I want to go to heaven but have nothing to do with God in the meantime.

As I said....it's not for me.....or you...to say.:)

LJS9502_basic

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#117 LJS9502_basic

iliatay

:lol: You seem to be so impressed with your own opinions that you've rationalized them as the only worthwhile opinions to have. And sorry dude but your opinions in no way affect me. I don't care in the least what you need to think. Personally I've always been of the opinion that those who deny the beliefs of others proactively are merely insecure in their beliefs.....

Avatar image for deactivated-5b19214ec908b
deactivated-5b19214ec908b

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

#118 deactivated-5b19214ec908b
Member since 2007 • 25072 Posts

The vast majority of people I know are atheists. Moaning about religion seems stupid because they're a minority that doesn't do much nowadays, sure you might meet an angry christian or Muslim every now and then but they're pretty easy to ignore.

topsemag55

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 16

#119 topsemag55
Member since 2007 • 19063 Posts
[QUOTE="GreySeal9"]

[QUOTE="LJS9502_basic"]I don't know what kind of Catholics you know....but we don't have Jesus cards and we don't preach to people. And the double standard is the fact that you allow that only one side should express an opinion.wis3boi

I agree that Catholics don't do usually do that (never had a Catholic come to my door whereas I've had some Envangelicals and a crapton of Mormons/Jehova's Witness), but it's certainly possible.

i've seen christian pamphlets left on restaurant tables. I'm not generalizing, just using it as an example of why people need to keep it to themselves.

Then the attacks against religion should stop as well. Fair is fair.
TehFuneral

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#120 TehFuneral
Member since 2007 • 8237 Posts

But Atheism =/= religion

Spitfirer

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#121 Spitfirer
Member since 2007 • 2088 Posts

Both groups need to realise that:

Their views are legitimitely offensive to the other group.

You can do bad things in the name of either belief system. If a non-religious person does bad things to people because they see them as nothing more than pieces of meat then they are doing bad things in the name of athiesm.

They need to stop exaggerating about the other party and themselves.

They need to stop focusing on just negative examples.

You will NEVER harass the other side out of existence.

X360PS3AMD05

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#122 X360PS3AMD05
Member since 2005 • 36320 Posts
After reading the God Delusion i will just say, Hails! I have no problem with taking war to these theists. They kept humanity down for centuries, the Abrahamic religions are a complete joke, chances are in favor of there being no actual god, so trying to help people out with their psychosis is a good thing. + They deserve no respect as Dawkins says.
Avatar image for GulliversTravel
GulliversTravel

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#124 GulliversTravel
Member since 2009 • 3110 Posts
After reading the God Delusion i will just say, Hails! I have no problem with taking war to these theists. They kept humanity down for centuries, the Abrahamic religions are a complete joke, chances are in favor of there being no actual god, so trying to help people out with their psychosis is a good thing. + They deserve no respect as Dawkins says.X360PS3AMD05
And that book is a joke amongst academics. There have been many great influential and sound atheists for 100s if not 1000s of years, Dawkins is an insult to these people.
Planet_Pluto

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#125 Planet_Pluto
Member since 2011 • 2235 Posts

Hey guys ive been asked to work on a paper on atheism and ive really been getting interested in this topic.

If you were to ask the next person you see if they believe in god, chances are, they do. Now if you asked them why they believe in such a thing, they will almost certainly be unable to provide a logical response. There is absolutely no reason to believe in a supernatural creator or any religion and they in fact negatively affect us in society on a daily basis. Briefly, religion is divisive, dangerous, and it discourages independent thought. However it is never too late to change, for atheism is the brilliant alternative. It is a way of thought that encourages the belief in evidential truth, use of logic, and can take us one step further to world peace.

I'm not sure what "a paper on atheism" means exactly. If it is meant to imply an honest study of it or why people lean one way or the other, your paragraph above this sort of implies you are heading out to confirm a preconceived notion rather than an honest investigation. But, again, I'm not sure what the purpose of the paper is.

. In ancient times, humans were certain that everything had a creator and kept the world in order. They believed that the creators watched everyone throughout their lives and they would be punished for their "sins". These generalized beliefs created law and order in primitive civilization and gave a moral reference to people by dictating what is right and wrong. Logic and independent thought were therefore suppressed causing religion to live until to this day without being questioned. This implicit purpose of religion is acknowledged through popular media such as the movie "The Book of Eli". The movie portrayed an earth destroyed by natural disasters causing the death of the majority of humans and marking the end of civilized behaviour. However, a man, who experienced the past before the disasters, tries to rebuild his own civilization through a book known in the past as the bible. This is a manifestation of why religion was necessary in ancient times. Logic could not rebuild the foundation of moral society when the majority of people are as unintelligent as barbarians; therefore religion was necessary in that situation. There is no room for religion in modern society, because there exists an understanding of the universe, a legal system, and we have critical reasoning. We cannot rely on beliefs that were created thousands of years ago. Conditions are completely different now and most of the people in the world know what is right and what is wrong, and the ones who don't, are under legal systems made by intelligent people using logic and reasoning. Atheism encourages us to be skeptical to popular belief and use logic to make life decisions.

- Can you define "understanding of the universe"?

- To the best of my knowledge, there are still debates raging on what happened prior to the widely accepted Big Bang.

- After the Big Bang, during expansion, was gravity not in fact a constant?

- Is there a Multiverse?

-Recently, I've read articles in which scientists appear to be knocking on the door of the speed of light and ready to go faster. So, we can't travel faster than the speed of light or we can?

- The point being, having some knowledge or "understanding of the universe" does not imply that we have uncovered even the tip of the iceberg of how our world works.

- Regarding our legal systems, are they so perfect and well thought out? Do criminals in situations where the evidence has them dead to rights get off because of a typo on a search warrant? Do people that have been arrested/convicted multiple times for drinking and driving get released to cause more damage and deaths on the road?

- People "know what is right and wrong"...? That is not completely relative? In one state prostitution is legalwhile in another state it is not.Which is right and which is wrong?

- I'm not sure what the intent of your last sentence is. Is it implying that someone who believes in God is unable to make logical decisions?

The presence of religion in modern society causes unnecessary tension in the world. The crusades, Iraqi civil war, the Israel vs. Palestine conflict, and the terrorism crisis are just a few examples of religious conflicts at extreme measures. This is because the only way a religion can set itself apart from others is to have different beliefs which may contradict other religions. Through this contradiction in history, acquiring followers was similar to imperialism. The way they kept followers was to generate dislike towards other religions by telling followers to kill non-believers. Like the quote from the Islamic equivalent of the bible, the Quran in its Surah 9:5, "When the sacred months are over slay the idolaters wherever you find them. Arrest them, besiege them, and lie in ambush everywhere for them." Although this verse has a more historical meaning, it does not rid of the fact that there is a very high probability for some people to take it literally. As we have seen from the attacks of 9/11 and other terrorist attacks, many are vulnerable to manipulation by religion. This is not to say that religion has not had any positive influence, because it had, as seen in the movements such as Martin Luther King's. However, the disadvantages largely outweigh the advantages and so religion is clearly not welcome in the world anymore. On the other hand, no real issue has ever risen in the name of atheism. In fact the atheistic way of thinking is what inspired great minds such as Charles Darwin and Leonardo Davinci (although he was only confirmed as an agnostic). The thought process of atheism, which includes logic, critical thinking and reasoning, disallows decisions that may harm one's self. Wars and unnecessary conflicts have negative impacts for people and countries in terms of economics, law, and well-being. The rise of atheism therefore can be said as the rise of world peace.

- I'm curious, were there not +/- 55 million people killed as a direct result of Communistic rule? (No, I am not assigning blame on atheism, merely pointing out that there are in fact remarkable attrocities carried out by people where religion is a non-factor).

- Was the Japanese attack on Pearl Harbor driven by clashing religious views?

- You seem to indicate that only religion is divisive, and since you mentioned 9/11, are the "9/11 Truthers" a religious group? The are arguably a very divisive group.

-A popular topic these daysis the disparity between the wealthy and the poor. Are the so-called"One Percenters" a religous sect?

- Is religion the cause ofall conflict? Or is religion a vehicle usedby some in power to try to satisfy an unquenchable thirst for control?

In modern society, we shouldn't all just be atheists, but we should be "antitheists" who help rid the world of religion which would bring us closer to a more utopian world. We can spend more time on acquiring knowledge about the origin of the universe, and less wasted at the local church.

- "Less time wasted at the local church" seems to ignore all of the contributions the local church makes to a community (not to mention the larger religious charities). When a family's home is burned to the ground, often the church is there. When there is a hurricane or other natural disaster, the church is there. I sometimes wonder what people who think religion is the scurge of the Earth would do when they are in a tough spot after a disaster and the church, as is so often is the case, is the first one to offer suppoer.

- All of the rapes, murders, violent thefts that are perpetrated by non-religious people.... should these all be attributed to atheists?

- It seems to me your utiopia's main hurdle is not religion, it is human nature. As is so often the case, I think you are using religion as a bit of a scapegoat. But then again, it is human nature for one to dislike/fear/hate that which he doesn't understand.

iliatay

My thoughts in blue

Stavrogin_

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#126 Stavrogin_
Member since 2011 • 804 Posts
After reading the God Delusion i will just say, Hails! I have no problem with taking war to these theists. They kept humanity down for centuries, the Abrahamic religions are a complete joke, chances are in favor of there being no actual god, so trying to help people out with their psychosis is a good thing. + They deserve no respect as Dawkins says.X360PS3AMD05
Yeah, that book is a joke to atheism. You should read Stirner, Nietzsche, Voltaire, Dostoevsky, Holbach...
TheFlush

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 5

#127 TheFlush
Member since 2002 • 5965 Posts

atheism is the brilliant alternative. It is a way of thought that encourages the belief in evidential truth, use of logic

iliatay

Actually that's a false statement. Atheïsm is just the lack of belief in god(s), nothing more.
Skepticism and rationale are not a necessity for atheïsm.

Avatar image for jesuschristmonk
jesuschristmonk

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#128 jesuschristmonk
Member since 2009 • 3308 Posts

Out of government, now that's a good idea.

DaJuicyMan

Funny because religion wasn't suppose to be part of the US government in the first place, even though it's almost riddled with it.

Penguinchow

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#129 Penguinchow
Member since 2006 • 1629 Posts
The crusades, conflict in the middle east, etc... Blah blah blah. These are the same references used by every atheist in existence. People tend to focus on a few isolated events of violence in history (violence forbidden by the religion the participants claim) and make the accusation that religion causes violence. You never hear critics talking about the soup kitchens or the people that have dedicated their lives to helping others, because of their religion. Or the sistene chapel. The men inspired by their God to create great works of art. Not saying that charities or great art cannot exist without religion, just that a large percentage of our charities and art would not exist without religion.
finalfantasy94

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#130 finalfantasy94
Member since 2004 • 27442 Posts

n modern society, we shouldn't all just be atheists, but we should be "antitheists" who help rid the world of religion which would bring us closer to a more utopian world. We can spend more time on acquiring knowledge about the origin of the universe, and less wasted at the local church.

And then you have even more violence on your hands. When you try to push out something thats close in peoples lives your going to get a negative reaction and proboly violent one at that. I feel that if you dont believe in a religion then fine,but dont try to change those who do believe.

curono

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 21

#131 curono
Member since 2005 • 7722 Posts
Problems, tension and war will be prevalent even though we stay anti-theist.
m25105

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#132 m25105
Member since 2010 • 3135 Posts

Hey guys ive been asked to work on a paper on atheism and ive really been getting interested in this topic. I hope you can bear with me for a few minutes of your time to gain a perspective of atheism and religion.

If you were to ask the next person you see if they believe in god, chances are, they do. Now if you asked them why they believe in such a thing, they will almost certainly be unable to provide a logical response. There is absolutely no reason to believe in a supernatural creator or any religion and they in fact negatively affect us in society on a daily basis. Briefly, religion is divisive, dangerous, and it discourages independent thought. However it is never too late to change, for atheism is the brilliant alternative. It is a way of thought that encourages the belief in evidential truth, use of logic, and can take us one step further to world peace.

Alright stop right there. A lot of people can give you a reason why they believe in God. For myself. I believe in God cause it make sense to me that there is a creator and that our lives means more than it just happened out of random chance. I believe in God when I look at nature and I can't fathom the idea that all the beautiful flora and fauna is the result of chance.

Your second point about religion being dangerous. Lol? Religion actively promotes peace and charity. There are many religious people that work hard for free to help those less fortunate. Some of the greatest thinkers in the world were deeply religious.

. In ancient times, humans were certain that everything had a creator and kept the world in order. They believed that the creators watched everyone throughout their lives and they would be punished for their "sins". These generalized beliefs created law and order in primitive civilization and gave a moral reference to people by dictating what is right and wrong. Logic and independent thought were therefore suppressed causing religion to live until to this day without being questioned. This implicit purpose of religion is acknowledged through popular media such as the movie "The Book of Eli". The movie portrayed an earth destroyed by natural disasters causing the death of the majority of humans and marking the end of civilized behaviour. However, a man, who experienced the past before the disasters, tries to rebuild his own civilization through a book known in the past as the bible. This is a manifestation of why religion was necessary in ancient times. Logic could not rebuild the foundation of moral society when the majority of people are as unintelligent as barbarians; therefore religion was necessary in that situation. There is no room for religion in modern society, because there exists an understanding of the universe, a legal system, and we have critical reasoning. We cannot rely on beliefs that were created thousands of years ago. Conditions are completely different now and most of the people in the world know what is right and what is wrong, and the ones who don't, are under legal systems made by intelligent people using logic and reasoning. Atheism encourages us to be skeptical to popular belief and use logic to make life decisions.

Christianity and the bible =/= all religions. Either all you atheists are closet Christians (since you try so hard to disprove one sole religion only, which makes it appear that you actually deep inside believe in it, since in your world spirituality and other religions doesn't exist) or simply refuse to look at the concept of spirituality or other religions.

As humans, it is part of our nature to search for the truth, and years of scientific research has provided an overwhelming amount of evidence that is all pointing at the same thing; that there is no creator, thus the ideology of atheism. Evidential truth is therefore a critical part of atheism. It is a part that many countries in the world are realizing that it is the correct way for thought. In countries like France, Sweden, Norway, and Denmark, less than a third of their entire population believe in a god. This is significant because it wasn't so long ago that almost the entire population of the earth believed in a supernatural creator. However, the people of those countries are in fact very right to be opposed to an otherwise popular belief. Through scientific evidence we have come to believe in evolution of organisms through natural selection, making vestigial the belief in a supernatural creator. Scientists have proved the universe is thirteen billion years old and was created through a period of mass-expansion known as "The Big Bang". Through the nuclear furnaces of stars, which turn simple elements into more complex ones, the particles of matter travel endlessly reacting with their environment through time until they reach the complexity of organic compounds. Thereafter, the formation of life becomes probable in suitable conditions such as the ones on earth. However, religion somehow disregards factual evidence through a state of thought known to be "faith". Faith is a belief that is based on something other than evidence, something that has a spiritual truth about it. The holy books of different religions promote the belief of intelligent design through no factual evidence other than stories written by progressive moralists. However elegant and believable the stories may be, there is no reason to believe that they are true. Therefore, it is irrational to allow your life to be governed by something other than evidential truth which is provided through atheism. It is then clear that the way of thinking of atheism is superior to the theist counterpart for the search for truth.

Religion doesn't disregard the Big Bang. Ask yourself instead what caused the Big Bang. Let there be light in the bible suddenly seem to make a lot more sense when you know about the Big Bang.

The presence of religion in modern society causes unnecessary tension in the world. The crusades, Iraqi civil war, the Israel vs. Palestine conflict, and the terrorism crisis are just a few examples of religious conflicts at extreme measures. This is because the only way a religion can set itself apart from others is to have different beliefs which may contradict other religions. Through this contradiction in history, acquiring followers was similar to imperialism. The way they kept followers was to generate dislike towards other religions by telling followers to kill non-believers. Like the quote from the Islamic equivalent of the bible, the Quran in its Surah 9:5, "When the sacred months are over slay the idolaters wherever you find them. Arrest them, besiege them, and lie in ambush everywhere for them." Although this verse has a more historical meaning, it does not rid of the fact that there is a very high probability for some people to take it literally. As we have seen from the attacks of 9/11 and other terrorist attacks, many are vulnerable to manipulation by religion. This is not to say that religion has not had any positive influence, because it had, as seen in the movements such as Martin Luther King's. However, the disadvantages largely outweigh the advantages and so religion is clearly not welcome in the world anymore. On the other hand, no real issue has ever risen in the name of atheism. In fact the atheistic way of thinking is what inspired great minds such as Charles Darwin and Leonardo Davinci (although he was only confirmed as an agnostic). The thought process of atheism, which includes logic, critical thinking and reasoning, disallows decisions that may harm one's self. Wars and unnecessary conflicts have negative impacts for people and countries in terms of economics, law, and well-being. The rise of atheism therefore can be said as the rise of world peace.

The Crusades weren't caused by religion. Religion was contributing factor in it. The Byzantines were worried about the encroaching Turks and asked Europe for help, it's easier to motivate your soldiers by saying they're freeing the holy land from the Muslims then tell them "Alright boys, lets head over there and secure the trade routes and cities so my wealthy family can get more wealthy" Once major cities had been conquered, the noble Franks suddenly lost all interest in Jerusalem and it took a near revolt for them to get off their backs. The only REAL religious crusades that happened where the illfated peoples crusade and the childrens crusade.

I'll give you Iraq.

Israel Palestina is not caused by religion, but by the simple fact that a bunch of Germans killed a lot of Jews and then world felt sorry for the Jews and instead of giving them German land, they kicked out the indigenous population and gave it the Jews. That's like if you're an American and the Goverment kicks you out of your house to give it to a Native American cause his ancenstors lived there a few centuries ago, except in the Israel/Palestine case it wasn't centuries but thousands of years ago.

The quote you mentioned from the Quran is easy to understand if YOU READ THE VERSE BEFORE THE ONE YOU QUOTE. That verse seems to be used by every Islam/Religion bashing website there is, but just one look at the verse before and you'll understand the context and go "Oh... well ok I guess that makes sense". If you're trying to come off as a scholar do your homework then.

9/11 didn't happen either cause of religion, read Bin Laden's speeches. Is Bin Laden a religious man? Yes. Were the hijackers religious? Yes. But was their motivation for attacking the U.S. because of religion? No.

In modern society, we shouldn't all just be atheists, but we should be "antitheists" who help rid the world of religion which would bring us closer to a more utopian world. We can spend more time on acquiring knowledge about the origin of the universe, and less wasted at the local church.

No. Even if religion suddenly dissappeared the worlds problem would still exist. You know what causes these problems? Greed and lust for power.

Your local church does more to feed the homeless than NASA does by sending some stupid probe to a Planet that consists only of rocks, when half the world hasn't even made a phonecall I could careless what random rock formation on Mars look like.

iliatay

SPYDER0416

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 24

#133 SPYDER0416
Member since 2008 • 16736 Posts

I find it hilarious when I see people freaking out about religious people (the terrible ones) trying to force their religion on people with cards and showing up at doors, then we see a bunch of atheist bigots telling everyone how dumb and violent they are and how atheism is the answer.

I'd like to think you wouldn't go around doing the very thing you despise most from other beliefs, its just hypocrisy, and it doesn't seem like the post was written for any intent except to inform people that you think what you believe in is right and what they believe in is wrong and bad and they shouldn't be allowed to believe it.

If the Government thought this way, this sort of topic wouldn't fly. Hell, look at Soviet Russia, they suppressed freedom of belief (and ironically, they promoted Atheism under Joseph Stalin, suppressing freedom of religion for communist ideals).

Of course, saying he was bad because of Atheism would be stupid, just like saying people who have a religion and do bad things do it because of their religion. It is just intrinsically stupid and ignores every other logical factor that would make more sense then that, and I don't think someone would be dumb enough to blame atheism as the reason Stalin was a jerk, though it would make as much sense as the "religion is evil" arguments.

Honestly, any belief can be twisted to nefarious ends, any belief, and in the end its not the belief itself that is bad, but the people who twist it for their own ends.

-Tish-

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#134 -Tish-
Member since 2007 • 3624 Posts

I find it hilarious when I see people freaking out about religious people (the terrible ones) trying to force their religion on people with cards and showing up at doors, then we see a bunch of atheist bigots telling everyone how dumb and violent they are and how atheism is the answer.

I'd like to think you wouldn't go around doing the very thing you despise most from other beliefs, its just hypocrisy, and it doesn't seem like the post was written for any intent except to inform people that you think what you believe in is right and what they believe in is wrong and bad and they shouldn't be allowed to believe it.

If the Government thought this way, this sort of topic wouldn't fly. Hell, look at Soviet Russia, they suppressed freedom of belief (and ironically, they promoted Atheism under Joseph Stalin, suppressing freedom of religion for communist ideals).

Of course, saying he was bad because of Atheism would be stupid, just like saying people who have a religion and do bad things do it because of their religion. It is just intrinsically stupid and ignores every other logical factor that would make more sense then that, and I don't think someone would be dumb enough to blame atheism as the reason Stalin was a jerk, though it would make as much sense as the "religion is evil" arguments.

Honestly, any belief can be twisted to nefarious ends, any belief, and in the end its not the belief itself that is bad, but the people who twist it for their own ends.

SPYDER0416
I know what you're saying and all, but personally I look at religion vs atheism as a discussion, not a debate. I'm not going to get bent out of shape when someone tries to dump their ideas into my head. I'm all for hearing what they have to say, but at the same time, I'm going to question their beliefs because I want them to experience a though-provoking discussion. Because let's face it, a lot of religious people are religious because that's how they were raised; they haven't really questioned their beliefs because there hasn't been reason to. A lot of atheist people, on the other hand, were at one point religious (or at least brought up in a religious home or have experienced religion in some way). Therefore, many atheists have experienced both sides of the spectrum, whereas religious people have not. That is why I, as an atheist, tend to intensify religious discussion with religious people. I may come off as condescending, but oh well, sometimes that's what it takes.
Xx_Hopless_xX

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

#135 Xx_Hopless_xX
Member since 2009 • 670 Posts

"religion is divisive, dangerous, and it discourages independent thought."

*sigh* same old GS

parkurtommo

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 23

#136 parkurtommo
Member since 2009 • 28295 Posts

wis3boi

:lol: made me lol so hard...

ShadowMoses900

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 48

#137 ShadowMoses900
Member since 2010 • 17081 Posts

The whole OP is just religion bashing, seriously why would you want to forcereligoius people to stop being religous? Is that any different from a radical muslim wanting to institute a strict Shahira Law and banning all other religions? Ya there really isn't a difference either now is there, you just don't want to admit it.

Mabey people would give more insight into atheism if you would give more insight into religion. But I'm not going to stick around in this thread, it's going to get ugly.

parkurtommo

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 23

#138 parkurtommo
Member since 2009 • 28295 Posts

"religion is divisive, dangerous, and it discourages independent thought."

*sigh* same old GS

Xx_Hopless_xX
I'm afraid I found that very true
the_plan_man

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#139 the_plan_man
[QUOTE="-Tish-"][QUOTE="SPYDER0416"]

I know what you're saying and all, but personally I look at religion vs atheism as a discussion, not a debate. I'm not going to get bent out of shape when someone tries to dump their ideas into my head. I'm all for hearing what they have to say, but at the same time, I'm going to question their beliefs because I want them to experience a though-provoking discussion. Because let's face it, a lot of religious people are religious because that's how they were raised; they haven't really questioned their beliefs because there hasn't been reason to. A lot of atheist people, on the other hand, were at one point religious (or at least brought up in a religious home or have experienced religion in some way). Therefore, many atheists have experienced both sides of the spectrum, whereas religious people have not. That is why I, as an atheist, tend to intensify religious discussion with religious people. I may come off as condescending, but oh well, sometimes that's what it takes.

Except I know many, many atheists who HAVE NOT experinced both sides of the spectrum and just dismiss the possibility without any kind of question...and can break VERY easily under scrutiny; also, I know Christians who are very thoughtful about both sides, and have an educated opinion. What I can't stand is stereotypes...
ShadowMoses900

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 48

#140 ShadowMoses900
Member since 2010 • 17081 Posts

SPYDER0416

^^This^^ is the best post in this thread, I applaud you sir.

RandoIph

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 7

#141 RandoIph
Member since 2010 • 2041 Posts

I agree with some of your points, and if you wanna endorse atheism that's cool, but you can't force religion out of people's lives...DaJuicyMan

I wouldn't want too, but it would sure be nice if church going prudes would stop forcing their beliefs on me, and usually through laws. I STILL can't buy booze on Sunday where I am, and that's simply not right, unless someone can come up with a good logical non-religious reason for such a law. Which they can't, of course.

-Tish-

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#142 -Tish-
Member since 2007 • 3624 Posts
[QUOTE="the_plan_man"][QUOTE="-Tish-"][QUOTE="SPYDER0416"]

Except I know many, many atheists who HAVE NOT experinced both sides of the spectrum and just dismiss the possibility without any kind of question...and can break VERY easily under scrutiny; also, I know Christians who are very thoughtful about both sides, and have an educated opinion. What I can't stand is stereotypes...

Really? Pretty much all the atheists I know were raised Catholic. And, well, stereotypes are stereotypes for a reason. There must be some truth to them, or they wouldn't be stereotypes.
RandoIph

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 7

#143 RandoIph
Member since 2010 • 2041 Posts
The crusades, conflict in the middle east, etc... Blah blah blah. These are the same references used by every atheist in existence. People tend to focus on a few isolated events of violence in history Penguinchow
I've actually seen a more focused attention paid to the Christian Dark Ages as of late, and how much farther humanity would be right now if it had not happened.
Planet_Pluto

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#144 Planet_Pluto
Member since 2011 • 2235 Posts

[QUOTE="the_plan_man"][QUOTE="-Tish-"] -Tish-

Really? Pretty much all the atheists I know were raised Catholic. And, well, stereotypes are stereotypes for a reason. There must be some truth to them, or they wouldn't be stereotypes.

Does that just go for religious stereotypes, or racial ones too?

SPYDER0416

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 24

#145 SPYDER0416
Member since 2008 • 16736 Posts

[QUOTE="the_plan_man"][QUOTE="-Tish-"] I know what you're saying and all, but personally I look at religion vs atheism as a discussion, not a debate. I'm not going to get bent out of shape when someone tries to dump their ideas into my head. I'm all for hearing what they have to say, but at the same time, I'm going to question their beliefs because I want them to experience a though-provoking discussion. Because let's face it, a lot of religious people are religious because that's how they were raised; they haven't really questioned their beliefs because there hasn't been reason to. A lot of atheist people, on the other hand, were at one point religious (or at least brought up in a religious home or have experienced religion in some way). Therefore, many atheists have experienced both sides of the spectrum, whereas religious people have not. That is why I, as an atheist, tend to intensify religious discussion with religious people. I may come off as condescending, but oh well, sometimes that's what it takes. -Tish-

Honestly, whenever I see an atheism thread, I ALWAYS tend to see generalizations. They act like people who are religious have nothing else going on in their life and that the few extreme examples are a showcase for not only the religion itself (which might likely condemnd such people), but also everyone else even mildly associated with the belief.

How would you feel if everyone looked at a few bad atheists in the world, then just assumed atheism was the only thing atheists cared about? There is the stereotype of the hipster atheist that has to make anti god jokes and bring in religious arguments, and I would HATE it if religious people looked at me like that just because I'm not particularly religious, thinking I was an annoying elitist minority that had to belittle others for their beliefs, because of my own belief and their perceptions of it.

I don't go around making stupid topics on how religious people are sheep who can't think for themselves (you know, even when their choice of beliefs very much contradicts such moronic statement), and I don't bring up my belief at every turn. I would hate it if someone made a generalization based on a few annoying examples they see (which might be especially prominent in OT sadly).

I also want to say that if someone is being a bigot, it very much is not the religion itself. You see people preaching their beliefs and acting right and like everyone else is wrong, but its not the religion (or lack thereof, in this case) doing that. If someone is acting like that, they're doing it because they have nothing better to do and have a flaw in their own personality for acting that way. Christianity from what I understand, very much preaches "live and let live", so if I see someone forcing Christianity on others, its not because the freaking Bible told them to, its because they would react like that with anything else they believe in that others don't (choice in games, politics, etc.) and you can see that everywhere.

Likewise, I'd like to think if someone is making an anti theist thread full of asinine "theories", then its not because its something supported by atheism and what it entails. Atheism is just not believing in a God or Gods, and pretty much just that. Its not about being an ass towards others because they do believe in a God, and these same people would be the ones trying to push religion on others regardless of if they were or weren't Atheist or Christian or whatever. I mean, there is a thread about someone trying to push Veganism here full of false "facts" just to get the point across when they're totally unrelated to meat or veganism, so people will try to push their beliefs on anyone and it will have nothing to do with the belief itself, but the very annoying person pushing it.

This was a long post, but long story short, this is hypocrisy. You can't assume stereotypes just because of your own personal experience (I know people who were incredibly far from religion and ended up becoming Born again Christians or following Buddhism or another belief), and you can't say a group of people can't think for themselves or are biased if you are trying to think for them and are biased against their beliefs, and you definitely cannot make generalizations based on stereotypes or (in TC's case) totally made up from thin air statements about others.

-Sun_Tzu-

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#146 -Sun_Tzu-
Member since 2007 • 17384 Posts

Honestly, whenever I see an atheism thread, I ALWAYS tend to see generalizations.

SPYDER0416

I think you are making generalizations.

Masculus

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#147 Masculus
Member since 2009 • 2878 Posts

I think that Atheism, in this case understood (could be defiend in other ways) as a belief in "evidential truth, use of logic" etc. - in short, by understanding the universe trough "Science" (note the "") - comes from a deep misuderstanding of what Science is, much more than what Faith is. It is about as vulgar as the regular charismatic christians teologies out there.

Engrish_Major

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#148 Engrish_Major
Member since 2007 • 17373 Posts

I think that Atheism, in this case understood (could be defiend in other ways) as a belief in "evidential truth, use of logic" etc. - in short, by understanding the universe trough "Science" (note the "") - comes from a deep misuderstanding of what Science is, much more than what Faith is. It is about as vulgar as the regular charismatic christians teologies out there.

Masculus
You don't have to understand, or misunderstand, science in order to be an athiest. The only requisite is the lack of belief in god.
themajormayor

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#149 themajormayor
Member since 2011 • 25729 Posts

OMG this could have been written by Stalin, Hitler or Mao!! Seriously you make atheists look like the "master race"

Wii-U4Fun

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#150 Wii-U4Fun
Member since 2011 • 114 Posts
I'm so sick of stupid ignorant atheists and Christians always bashing each other in these kinds of discussions. Bunch of intolerant, hateful morons trying to convince each other one is right and the other is wrong in an argument that will never end with a definite answer. Just accept that people believe different things and stop trying to paint large numbers of people with a brush every time someone in their 'group' does something bad. It doesn't make you look good or smart. It just makes you look like an idiot! *Fumes* Seriously, I'm tired of this crap.