Insight to Atheism

This topic is locked from further discussion.

dkdk999

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

#51 dkdk999
Member since 2007 • 6754 Posts

I don't really see how it's bad to "push your views on other people" as you put it. I'm definatly an atheist and when religous people come to my house (mormons) I don't think "GRRR! they came to my house those *****" I just think eh maybe we'll have an interesting conversation. And their actually usually pretty posative about it.

I'm not a fan though when people flaunt their opinion in class who aren't really intelligent. They tend to be more on the religous side. I mean the statement "oh well you can't prove god doesn't exist" just kills me.

Ace6301

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

#52 Ace6301
Member since 2005 • 21389 Posts
[QUOTE="wis3boi"][QUOTE="LJS9502_basic"] And we come back to your double standard. Anyway on what are you basing that the cards were Catholic?the_plan_man
the person who left it there was from the catholic church across the street

I completely agree with LJ. Atheists can call Christian beliefs "stupid" to their face, thus, shoving their ideology onto Christians, but you get upset when Christians do the same to everyone else? Major double standard.

mmm dat strawman
Avatar image for jerk-o-tron2000
jerk-o-tron2000

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#54 jerk-o-tron2000
Member since 2007 • 10036 Posts

Jesus loves me, Yes He does.

Cause the Bible Told me so.

LJS9502_basic

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#55 LJS9502_basic
Member since 2003 • 178857 Posts
I don't really see how it's bad to "push your views on other people" as you put it. I'm definatly an atheist and when religous people come to my house (mormons) I don't think "GRRR! they came to my house those *****" I just think eh maybe we'll have an interesting conversation. And their actually usually pretty posative about it. I'm not a fan though when people flaunt their opinion in class who aren't really intelligent. They tend to be more on the religous side. I mean the statement "oh well you can't prove god doesn't exist" just kills me. dkdk999
Surprising religious people can be approached as well as atheists. Encountered a couple Mormons walking around the neighborhood. I just told them I already had a religion and they left me alone. Quite polite. I don't see the issue.
wis3boi

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

#56 wis3boi
Member since 2005 • 32507 Posts
[QUOTE="dkdk999"]I don't really see how it's bad to "push your views on other people" as you put it. I'm definatly an atheist and when religous people come to my house (mormons) I don't think "GRRR! they came to my house those *****" I just think eh maybe we'll have an interesting conversation. And their actually usually pretty posative about it. I'm not a fan though when people flaunt their opinion in class who aren't really intelligent. They tend to be more on the religous side. I mean the statement "oh well you can't prove god doesn't exist" just kills me. LJS9502_basic
Surprising religious people can be approached as well as atheists. Encountered a couple Mormons walking around the neighborhood. I just told them I already had a religion and they left me alone. Quite polite. I don't see the issue.

and that's how it should be. Leaving each other alone. I was just pointing out some beefy examples of those who ruin the image and such
damojeebs

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 8

#57 damojeebs
Member since 2010 • 179 Posts

i dont care for this,religions are cults full of brainwashed people living in fear of sin.i believe that yes there was a man named jesus and he brainwashed people into his religion to think he was the son of god...wake the **** up people.

yous are brainwashed,all the proof you need is just by watching one show of benny hinn early in the morning,just look at all those people falling over and having fake seizures just cause he touched them! yous would belive anything as long as its in the name of "god".

Ace6301

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#58 Ace6301

I don't really see how it's bad to "push your views on other people" as you put it. I'm definatly an atheist and when religous people come to my house (mormons) I don't think "GRRR! they came to my house those *****" I just think eh maybe we'll have an interesting conversation. And their actually usually pretty posative about it.

I'm not a fan though when people flaunt their opinion in class who aren't really intelligent. They tend to be more on the religous side. I mean the statement "oh well you can't prove god doesn't exist" just kills me.

dkdk999
I find it rude when they come by but not enough to be anything other than polite and welcoming. Generally they ask me whatever their slogan for the day is and I politely state that I'm happy with my current beliefs. If it's hot out I'll ask them if they'd like some water (still no takers but they at least seem grateful). If they get insistent though I get annoyed. I also dislike when I'm approached in public over my beliefs because I think that's very rude.
wis3boi

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#59 wis3boi
Member since 2005 • 32507 Posts

i dont care for this,religions are cults full of brainwashed people living in fear of sin.i believe that yes there was a man named jesus and he brainwashed people into his religion to think he was the son of god...wake the **** up people.

yous are brainwashed,all the proof you need is just by watching one show of benny hinn early in the morning,just look at all those people falling over and having fake seizures just cause he touched them! yous would belive anything as long as its in the name of "god".

damojeebs
that's a pretty messed up view yourself....most people arent like that. Its like reality TV
k2theswiss

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 5

User Lists: 1

#60 k2theswiss
Member since 2007 • 16599 Posts

all i know is religion is moving out of this world and reality is moving in.

If people need someone believe in to help them in life, then cool i have no issue.

People who are saying stuff happens because god, god's way, bla bla bla. i can't stand it

Every time i have someone tell me go read a bible, i laugh and ask which version, which relgion, which author...

Pikdum

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#61 Pikdum
Member since 2010 • 2244 Posts

Good read, reflects my thoughts pretty well.

coolbeans90

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#62 coolbeans90
Member since 2009 • 21305 Posts

The opening post was amusingly self-defeating with regards to social tension.

LJS9502_basic

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#63 LJS9502_basic

[QUOTE="LJS9502_basic"][QUOTE="dkdk999"]I don't really see how it's bad to "push your views on other people" as you put it. I'm definatly an atheist and when religous people come to my house (mormons) I don't think "GRRR! they came to my house those *****" I just think eh maybe we'll have an interesting conversation. And their actually usually pretty posative about it. I'm not a fan though when people flaunt their opinion in class who aren't really intelligent. They tend to be more on the religous side. I mean the statement "oh well you can't prove god doesn't exist" just kills me. wis3boi

and that's how it should be. Leaving each other alone. I was just pointing out some beefy examples of those who ruin the image and such

You were pointing it out while allowing that atheists should tell the religious they're wrong...which is doing what you don't want done to you....see? I didn't get antagonistic and tell them why I thought their religion was wrong. They are entitled to their beliefs and they mean no harm by talking to people.

GreySeal9

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 41

#64 GreySeal9
Member since 2010 • 28247 Posts

dkdk999

I don't really mind letting religious people talk to me about God either as long as they're not annoying about it. That being said, I generally don't open the door when religious people come a knocking because it can be impossible to get rid of some of them without getting rude. But I will talk to them in public places like my campus for instance.

the_plan_man

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#65 the_plan_man
Member since 2011 • 1664 Posts
[QUOTE="dkdk999"]

Religion (or lack of) SHOULD be a personal matter. And stereotyping religious people as "stupid" is something that bothers me. There is just as much ignorance and stupidity on the atheist side.
GreySeal9

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#66 GreySeal9

[QUOTE="dkdk999"]I don't really see how it's bad to "push your views on other people" as you put it. I'm definatly an atheist and when religous people come to my house (mormons) I don't think "GRRR! they came to my house those *****" I just think eh maybe we'll have an interesting conversation. And their actually usually pretty posative about it. I'm not a fan though when people flaunt their opinion in class who aren't really intelligent. They tend to be more on the religous side. I mean the statement "oh well you can't prove god doesn't exist" just kills me. LJS9502_basic

Some of them can be like annoying car salesmen tho.

My brother is a Christian and when he used the "I all ready have a religion" line to end the conversation with some Mormons, they tried to tell him that Mormonism was exactly the same as what my brother believed. It was pretty slimy.

damojeebs

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#67 damojeebs
Member since 2010 • 179 Posts

[QUOTE="damojeebs"]

wis3boi

that's a pretty messed up view yourself....most people arent like that. Its like reality TV

reality tv you say? do you not see the masses that turn up to his services? theres 100's of thousands that rock up to it.

LJS9502_basic

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#68 LJS9502_basic

[QUOTE="LJS9502_basic"][QUOTE="dkdk999"]I don't really see how it's bad to "push your views on other people" as you put it. I'm definatly an atheist and when religous people come to my house (mormons) I don't think "GRRR! they came to my house those *****" I just think eh maybe we'll have an interesting conversation. And their actually usually pretty posative about it. I'm not a fan though when people flaunt their opinion in class who aren't really intelligent. They tend to be more on the religous side. I mean the statement "oh well you can't prove god doesn't exist" just kills me. GreySeal9

My brother is a Christian and when he used the "I all ready have a religion" line to end the conversation with some Mormons, they tried to tell him that Mormonism was exactly the same as what my brother believed. It was pretty slimy.

Then he should have said good.....we don't have anything to talk about in that case...we already agree.....good day..
Optical_Order

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#69 Optical_Order
Member since 2008 • 5100 Posts

I didn't bother reading that whole thing, seemed like a lot of drivel to me.

My question would be, why does it matter? Why is this such an important issue to people? Why is this always discussed? Atheist, theist, rastafarian, idgaf. We're all human, that's what counts.

GreySeal9

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#70 GreySeal9

[QUOTE="GreySeal9"]

[QUOTE="LJS9502_basic"] Surprising religious people can be approached as well as atheists. Encountered a couple Mormons walking around the neighborhood. I just told them I already had a religion and they left me alone. Quite polite. I don't see the issue.LJS9502_basic

Then he should have said good.....we don't have anything to talk about in that case...we already agree.....good day..

Then they would try to get him to come to their church. :lol:

There's no stopping some of those guys. I think they have to meet quotas or something, but I could be wrong.

dkdk999

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#71 dkdk999
Member since 2007 • 6754 Posts

[QUOTE="dkdk999"]

GreySeal9

I don't really mind letting religious people talk to me about God either as long as they're not annoying about it. That being said, I generally don't open the door when religious people come a knocking because it can be impossible to get rid of some of them without getting rude. But I will talk to them in public places like my campus for instance.

the thing is if they won't go away I have no trouble being rude.
-Tish-

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 21

#72 -Tish-
Member since 2007 • 3624 Posts
Disagree with the entire post....LJS9502_basic
Really? I agree with pretty much all of it...
sonic__323

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 17

#73 sonic__323
Member since 2007 • 23684 Posts

Well religion is something I don't care about and no I don't believe in God, just don't try to get me into it and it's fine, if not I'm not afraid to fight back.

fidosim

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 15

#74 fidosim
Member since 2003 • 12901 Posts
The thought process of atheism, which includes logic, critical thinking and reasoning, disallows decisions that may harm one's self. Wars and unnecessary conflicts have negative impacts for people and countries in terms of economics, law, and well-being. The rise of atheism therefore can be said as the rise of world peace.iliatay
The Twentieth Century says hi. :?
LJS9502_basic

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#75 LJS9502_basic

[QUOTE="LJS9502_basic"][QUOTE="GreySeal9"]

GreySeal9

Then they would try to get him to come to their church. :lol:

There's no stopping some of those guys. I think they have to meet quotas or something, but I could be wrong.

I think they have to spend so much time......but not get so many bodies. Anyway TC here is the insight into atheism.....it's not complicated....some people have no belief in a God or gods. There you have the answer to the mystery......
THE_DRUGGIE

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 140

#76 THE_DRUGGIE
Member since 2006 • 25107 Posts

[QUOTE="iliatay"]The thought process of atheism, which includes logic, critical thinking and reasoning, disallows decisions that may harm one's self. Wars and unnecessary conflicts have negative impacts for people and countries in terms of economics, law, and well-being. The rise of atheism therefore can be said as the rise of world peace.fidosim
The Twentieth Century says hi. :?

Don't you get it, man?

Atheists lack empathy and ability to sacrifice! That's why all atheists refuse to adopt a collectivist mindset because that's left exclusively to religious belief and has no other factors that can influence whether someone adopts an individualist or collectivist philosophy. Also, let's not forget that everyone having an individualist philosophy that is concerned with one's own interests while disregarding the interests of others outright is a scenario in which conflict is absolutely impossible!

It makes so much sense!

-Tish-

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#77 -Tish-
[QUOTE="GreySeal9"]

[QUOTE="LJS9502_basic"] Surprising religious people can be approached as well as atheists. Encountered a couple Mormons walking around the neighborhood. I just told them I already had a religion and they left me alone. Quite polite. I don't see the issue.LJS9502_basic

If Mormonism and Christianity have nothing different to exchange and are exactly the same, then why are they separate religions?
Avatar image for deactivated-597bb01c846a2
deactivated-597bb01c846a2

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: -3

#78 deactivated-597bb01c846a2
Member since 2011 • 1495 Posts

My question would be, why does it matter? Why is this such an important issue to people? Why is this always discussed? Atheist, theist, rastafarian, idgaf. We're all human, that's what counts.

Optical_Order
You don't think it's important? I think it's quite important. Religion runs America. I think that's messed up. There are people who won't vote for a president if he isn't a Christian.
LJS9502_basic

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#79 LJS9502_basic

[QUOTE="LJS9502_basic"][QUOTE="GreySeal9"]

-Tish-

If Mormonism and Christianity have nothing different to exchange and are exactly the same, then why are they separate religions?

They aren't the same. I said his brother should have told them that to get rid of them.

LJS9502_basic

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#80 LJS9502_basic
[QUOTE="Optical_Order"]

Diophage
You don't think it's important? I think it's quite important. Religion runs America. I think that's messed up. There are people who won't vote for a president if he isn't a Christian.

How many non Christians have run?
-Tish-

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#81 -Tish-

[QUOTE="-Tish-"][QUOTE="LJS9502_basic"] Then he should have said good.....we don't have anything to talk about in that case...we already agree.....good day..LJS9502_basic

They aren't the same. I said his brother should have told them that to get rid of them.

Oh they're not? My bad. Which one is wrong and which is right?
Ace6301

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#82 Ace6301
[QUOTE="Diophage"][QUOTE="Optical_Order"]

LJS9502_basic

How many non-Christians have made enough of a name for themselves in US politics to run? But I think we've already had this conversation, recently too.
LJS9502_basic

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#83 LJS9502_basic
[QUOTE="Ace6301"][QUOTE="LJS9502_basic"][QUOTE="Diophage"] You don't think it's important? I think it's quite important. Religion runs America. I think that's messed up. There are people who won't vote for a president if he isn't a Christian.

How many non-Christians have made enough of a name for themselves in US politics to run? But I think we've already had this conversation, recently too.

There are many non Christians right now in high positions. But considering the country is majority Christian...it makes sense the elected officials would be of that same demographic doesn't it?
LJS9502_basic

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#84 LJS9502_basic
[QUOTE="LJS9502_basic"]

[QUOTE="-Tish-"] If Mormonism and Christianity have nothing different to exchange and are exactly the same, then why are they separate religions? -Tish-

I'm not one to tell anyone their beliefs are wrong....
-Tish-

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#85 -Tish-

[QUOTE="-Tish-"][QUOTE="LJS9502_basic"]They aren't the same. I said his brother should have told them that to get rid of them.

LJS9502_basic

Someone's gotta be wrong. We can't all be right.

Or can we? :o

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#86 deactivated-597bb01c846a2

[QUOTE="LJS9502_basic"][QUOTE="-Tish-"] Oh they're not? My bad. Which one is wrong and which is right? -Tish-

What if we are all wrong? What lies beyond our comprehension? It's funny how everyone thinks they have some sort of idea.
LJS9502_basic

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#88 LJS9502_basic

[QUOTE="LJS9502_basic"][QUOTE="-Tish-"] Oh they're not? My bad. Which one is wrong and which is right? -Tish-

I think the important thing is doing the right things in life. Would there a be major hang up if one believed the wrong denomination? I wouldn't imagine. I don't necessarily agree that a good person that didn't attend a faith would be condemned either. That is not for me to say....
iliatay

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#89 iliatay
Member since 2008 • 1325 Posts

I do realize that i bashed religion alot in there but i did it mostly for compare and contrast way of developing my arguements. Keeping religion and beliefs to yourself can still drive religious corruption. There is no reason to believe in these thousand year-old ideas.

Thanks for the feedback

-Tish-

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#90 -Tish-
[QUOTE="-Tish-"]

[QUOTE="LJS9502_basic"] I'm not one to tell anyone their beliefs are wrong....Diophage

What if we are all wrong? What lies beyond our comprehension? It's funny how everyone thinks they have some sort of idea.

I completely agree. How is a human conscious created? Is morality innate? Deep stuff...
Avatar image for jerk-o-tron2000
jerk-o-tron2000

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#91 jerk-o-tron2000
Member since 2007 • 10036 Posts

[QUOTE="LJS9502_basic"]

[QUOTE="-Tish-"]

-Tish-

T

hey aren't the same. I said his brother should have told them that to get rid of them.

The ones that try to get you to worship their God. What are they called again? M-M-More-M-M-Mans?

-Tish-

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#92 -Tish-
[QUOTE="-Tish-"]

[QUOTE="LJS9502_basic"] I'm not one to tell anyone their beliefs are wrong....LJS9502_basic

I think the important thing is doing the right things in life. Would there a be major hang up if one believed the wrong denomination? I wouldn't imagine. I don't necessarily agree that a good person that didn't attend a faith would be condemned either. That is not for me to say....

I wish my grandparents thought like that. I can't even tell them I'm atheist because they'd think I'm going to hell.
THE_DRUGGIE

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#93 THE_DRUGGIE

I do realize that i bashed religion alot in there but i did it mostly for compare and contrast way of developing my arguements. Keeping religion and beliefs to yourself can still drive religious corruption. There is no reason to believe in these thousand year-old ideas.

Thanks for the feedback

iliatay

Did you consider my earlier comment about collectivism vs. individualism not being exclusive to religion and the conflicts that can happen on a philosophical bases between the two paradigms as well as within?

LJS9502_basic

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#94 LJS9502_basic

[QUOTE="iliatay"]

Thanks for the feedback

THE_DRUGGIE

Did you consider my earlier comment about collectivism vs. individualism not being exclusive to religion and the conflicts that can happen on a philosophical bases between the two paradigms as well as within?

No. That doesn't help his anti religious slant....
Johnny_Rock

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#95 Johnny_Rock
Member since 2002 • 40314 Posts

Disagree with the entire post....LJS9502_basic

Disagree with this post.

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#96 deactivated-597bb01c846a2
[QUOTE="LJS9502_basic"]Disagree with the entire post....Johnny_Rock
Disagree with this post.

I do, too. I mean, even if you disagree with some of it, quite a bit of that still made sense.
LJS9502_basic

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#97 LJS9502_basic
[QUOTE="Johnny_Rock"][QUOTE="LJS9502_basic"]Disagree with the entire post....Diophage
Disagree with this post.

I do, too. I mean, even if you disagree with some of it, quite a bit of that still made sense.

What I got of the OP was.....TC doesn't like religion and he blames it for everything. Nothing new or exciting here.
THE_DRUGGIE

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#98 THE_DRUGGIE

[QUOTE="THE_DRUGGIE"]

[QUOTE="iliatay"]

Thanks for the feedback

LJS9502_basic

No. That doesn't help his anti religious slant....

I'm sure my analysis of alternate philosophical conclusions is an enriching subject to explore.

Avatar image for chessmaster1989
chessmaster1989

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#99 chessmaster1989
Member since 2008 • 30203 Posts

[QUOTE="wis3boi"][QUOTE="LJS9502_basic"] And we come back to your double standard. Anyway on what are you basing that the cards were Catholic?the_plan_man
the person who left it there was from the catholic church across the street

I completely agree with LJ. Atheists can call Christian beliefs "stupid" to their face, thus, shoving their ideology onto Christians, but you get upset when Christians do the same to everyone else? Major double standard.

Eh, wis3boi clarified back on page 2 that he didn't mean that atheists should preach atheism and Christians shouldn't, he meant that atheists should be entitled to their beliefs as should Christians, and that neither should be trying to preach their views to others.

It's understandable why you'd misinterpret his original post because it wasn't worded well, but now that he cleared it up it shouldn't be a continued issue...

Johnny_Rock

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#100 Johnny_Rock
Member since 2002 • 40314 Posts

[QUOTE="Diophage"][QUOTE="Johnny_Rock"]Disagree with this post.LJS9502_basic

What I got of the OP was.....TC doesn't like religion and he blames it for everything. Nothing new or exciting here.

Well, that's more than you divulged in your original post. Getting a cohesive thought out of you is like pulling teeth.