Insight to Atheism

This topic is locked from further discussion.

iliatay

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

#1 iliatay
Member since 2008 • 1325 Posts

Hey guys ive been asked to work on a paper on atheism and ive really been getting interested in this topic. I hope you can bear with me for a few minutes of your time to gain a perspective of atheism and religion.

If you were to ask the next person you see if they believe in god, chances are, they do. Now if you asked them why they believe in such a thing, they will almost certainly be unable to provide a logical response. There is absolutely no reason to believe in a supernatural creator or any religion and they in fact negatively affect us in society on a daily basis. Briefly, religion is divisive, dangerous, and it discourages independent thought. However it is never too late to change, for atheism is the brilliant alternative. It is a way of thought that encourages the belief in evidential truth, use of logic, and can take us one step further to world peace.

. In ancient times, humans were certain that everything had a creator and kept the world in order. They believed that the creators watched everyone throughout their lives and they would be punished for their "sins". These generalized beliefs created law and order in primitive civilization and gave a moral reference to people by dictating what is right and wrong. Logic and independent thought were therefore suppressed causing religion to live until to this day without being questioned. This implicit purpose of religion is acknowledged through popular media such as the movie "The Book of Eli". The movie portrayed an earth destroyed by natural disasters causing the death of the majority of humans and marking the end of civilized behaviour. However, a man, who experienced the past before the disasters, tries to rebuild his own civilization through a book known in the past as the bible. This is a manifestation of why religion was necessary in ancient times. Logic could not rebuild the foundation of moral society when the majority of people are as unintelligent as barbarians; therefore religion was necessary in that situation. There is no room for religion in modern society, because there exists an understanding of the universe, a legal system, and we have critical reasoning. We cannot rely on beliefs that were created thousands of years ago. Conditions are completely different now and most of the people in the world know what is right and what is wrong, and the ones who don't, are under legal systems made by intelligent people using logic and reasoning. Atheism encourages us to be skeptical to popular belief and use logic to make life decisions.

As humans, it is part of our nature to search for the truth, and years of scientific research has provided an overwhelming amount of evidence that is all pointing at the same thing; that there is no creator, thus the ideology of atheism. Evidential truth is therefore a critical part of atheism. It is a part that many countries in the world are realizing that it is the correct way for thought. In countries like France, Sweden, Norway, and Denmark, less than a third of their entire population believe in a god. This is significant because it wasn't so long ago that almost the entire population of the earth believed in a supernatural creator. However, the people of those countries are in fact very right to be opposed to an otherwise popular belief. Through scientific evidence we have come to believe in evolution of organisms through natural selection, making vestigial the belief in a supernatural creator. Scientists have proved the universe is thirteen billion years old and was created through a period of mass-expansion known as "The Big Bang". Through the nuclear furnaces of stars, which turn simple elements into more complex ones, the particles of matter travel endlessly reacting with their environment through time until they reach the complexity of organic compounds. Thereafter, the formation of life becomes probable in suitable conditions such as the ones on earth. However, religion somehow disregards factual evidence through a state of thought known to be "faith". Faith is a belief that is based on something other than evidence, something that has a spiritual truth about it. The holy books of different religions promote the belief of intelligent design through no factual evidence other than stories written by progressive moralists. However elegant and believable the stories may be, there is no reason to believe that they are true. Therefore, it is irrational to allow your life to be governed by something other than evidential truth which is provided through atheism. It is then clear that the way of thinking of atheism is superior to the theist counterpart for the search for truth.

The presence of religion in modern society causes unnecessary tension in the world. The crusades, Iraqi civil war, the Israel vs. Palestine conflict, and the terrorism crisis are just a few examples of religious conflicts at extreme measures. This is because the only way a religion can set itself apart from others is to have different beliefs which may contradict other religions. Through this contradiction in history, acquiring followers was similar to imperialism. The way they kept followers was to generate dislike towards other religions by telling followers to kill non-believers. Like the quote from the Islamic equivalent of the bible, the Quran in its Surah 9:5, "When the sacred months are over slay the idolaters wherever you find them. Arrest them, besiege them, and lie in ambush everywhere for them." Although this verse has a more historical meaning, it does not rid of the fact that there is a very high probability for some people to take it literally. As we have seen from the attacks of 9/11 and other terrorist attacks, many are vulnerable to manipulation by religion. This is not to say that religion has not had any positive influence, because it had, as seen in the movements such as Martin Luther King's. However, the disadvantages largely outweigh the advantages and so religion is clearly not welcome in the world anymore. On the other hand, no real issue has ever risen in the name of atheism. In fact the atheistic way of thinking is what inspired great minds such as Charles Darwin and Leonardo Davinci (although he was only confirmed as an agnostic). The thought process of atheism, which includes logic, critical thinking and reasoning, disallows decisions that may harm one's self. Wars and unnecessary conflicts have negative impacts for people and countries in terms of economics, law, and well-being. The rise of atheism therefore can be said as the rise of world peace.

In modern society, we shouldn't all just be atheists, but we should be "antitheists" who help rid the world of religion which would bring us closer to a more utopian world. We can spend more time on acquiring knowledge about the origin of the universe, and less wasted at the local church.

DaJuicyMan

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#2 DaJuicyMan
Member since 2010 • 3557 Posts

I agree with some of your points, and if you wanna endorse atheism that's cool, but you can't force religion out of people's lives...Out of government, now that's a good idea. Everyone has the right to pursue their vision of a perfect life as long as it doesn't infringe on other people's..For some people, religion is part of that life.

Socijalisticka

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#3 Socijalisticka
Member since 2011 • 1555 Posts

The presence of religion in modern society causes unnecessary tension in the world. The crusades, Iraqi civil war, the Israel vs. Palestine conflict, and the terrorism crisis are just a few examples of religious conflicts at extreme measures.

iliatay

As an athiest, I find these accusations imbecilic. All of these events you speak of, even the crusades hold more complex tensions than could be simply explained through religious intolerance.

LJS9502_basic

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#4 LJS9502_basic
Member since 2003 • 178846 Posts
Disagree with the entire post....
cybrcatter

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

#5 cybrcatter
Member since 2003 • 16210 Posts

> ideology of atheism

Ace6301

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#6 Ace6301
Member since 2005 • 21389 Posts
Being anti-theist will just cause the same problems that you cite as issues with major religions.
Avatar image for jerk-o-tron2000
jerk-o-tron2000

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#7 jerk-o-tron2000
Member since 2007 • 10036 Posts

Let them worship their God and they should leave you alone too.

Dark__Link

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#8 Dark__Link
Member since 2003 • 32653 Posts
Wow, condescending much?
Ace6301

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#9 Ace6301

jerk-o-tron2000
They may not leave you alone but they at least the vast majority won't become violent.
jerk-o-tron2000

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#10 jerk-o-tron2000

[QUOTE="jerk-o-tron2000"]

Ace6301

They may not leave you alone but they at least the vast majority won't become violent.

Badgering beats stoning everyday.....Unless you have a stoning fetish.

Avatar image for deactivated-5f9e3c6a83e51
deactivated-5f9e3c6a83e51

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 19

#11 deactivated-5f9e3c6a83e51
Member since 2004 • 57548 Posts

I have no desire to be anti-theist. That's probably the main reason why so many people hate on atheists.

Ace6301

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#12 Ace6301

[QUOTE="Ace6301"]

[QUOTE="jerk-o-tron2000"]

jerk-o-tron2000

Badgering beats stoning everyday.....Unless you have a stoning fetish.

I don't like to bring my personal life into debates.
GreySeal9

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 41

#13 GreySeal9
Member since 2010 • 28247 Posts

It seems like you packed almost every cliched anti-religion argument into that rather large post.

I'm not religious, but I'd hate to live in a world where everybody was anti-thiest. That kind of homogenity would be downright depressing.

wis3boi

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

#14 wis3boi
Member since 2005 • 32507 Posts

my life motto is: Keep your gods to yourself and dont act surprised when you meet an atheist in real life and they question your god. If you can't accept other people's views as personal preference, you need to examine your religion better and learn tolerance. Telling an atheist they "need jesus in their lives" is pretty low, IMO

Avatar image for Victorious_Fize
Victorious_Fize

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#15 Victorious_Fize
Member since 2011 • 6128 Posts

[QUOTE="iliatay"]

The presence of religion in modern society causes unnecessary tension in the world. The crusades, Iraqi civil war, the Israel vs. Palestine conflict, and the terrorism crisis are just a few examples of religious conflicts at extreme measures.

Socijalisticka

As an athiest, I find these accusations imbecilic. All of these events you speak of, even the crusades hold more complex tensions than could be simply explained through religious intolerance.

Did lower the value of how "insightful" OP is.
PS2_ROCKS

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#16 PS2_ROCKS
Member since 2003 • 4679 Posts

The big bang is simply an event, like a reaction. It needed mass/energy to take place. Scientists will never know where this mass/energy originated from. We can't look back far enough.

I'll say religion in the wrong hands is a dangerous thing. As a whole, at least the religion I follow has nothing but good intent for people. If you don't want to accept God that's fine. I'm not here to force you.

LJS9502_basic

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#17 LJS9502_basic

my life motto is: Keep your gods to yourself and dont act surprised when you meet an atheist in real life and they question your god. If you can't accept other people's views as personal preference, you need to examine your religion better and learn tolerance. Telling an atheist they "need jesus in their lives" is pretty low, IMO

wis3boi
Just a quick question.....why the double standard?
Bucked20

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#18 Bucked20
Member since 2011 • 6651 Posts
Atheists,ha I know where they'll go when they croak
washnwax

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#19 washnwax
Member since 2011 • 274 Posts

i dont believe in god or religion for that matter,the way i see it is its my choice and i dont force it on others but what annoys me is the christians that come around to my house every saturday and sunday trying to force their views onto me...and yes they do force it as i have told them repeatedly what my beliefs are and have asked politely for them to stop coming to my house and yet every sat-sun theres the exact same people knocking on my door and when im not home they slide stuff under my door or stick it in my mailbox.

wis3boi

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#20 wis3boi
[QUOTE="wis3boi"]

LJS9502_basic

no double standard. i've had catholics come up to me and give me "jesus cards" and i tell them im an atheist, but thanks anyways, then they rant about how I need jesus. I tell them to keep it themselves. if i wanted religion I'd go find it, I dont need to be sold a religion. If everyone kept it at home, we'd be better off
Dark__Link

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#21 Dark__Link
Keep your gods to yourself and dont act surprised when you meet an atheist in real life and they question your god.wis3boi
Telling an atheist they "need jesus in their lives" is pretty low, IMOwis3boi
...:lol:
wis3boi

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#22 wis3boi
[QUOTE="wis3boi"]Keep your gods to yourself and dont act surprised when you meet an atheist in real life and they question your god.Dark__Link

what? I dont go around telling religious people they need to forget their god. Who's to tell who what they "need" in their lives? One of my best friends just got baptized, I said good for him, he found something to make him happy.
LJS9502_basic

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#23 LJS9502_basic
[QUOTE="LJS9502_basic"][QUOTE="wis3boi"]

wis3boi

no double standard. i've had catholics come up to me and give me "jesus cards" and i tell them im an atheist, but thanks anyways, then they rant about how I need jesus. I tell them to keep it themselves. if i wanted religion I'd go find it, I dont need to be sold a religion. If everyone kept it at home, we'd be better off

I don't know what kind of Catholics you know....but we don't have Jesus cards and we don't preach to people. And the double standard is the fact that you allow that only one side should express an opinion.
Ace6301

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#24 Ace6301
[QUOTE="wis3boi"][QUOTE="Dark__Link"][QUOTE="wis3boi"]

what? I dont go around telling religious people they need to forget their god. Who's to tell who what they "need" in their lives? One of my best friends just got baptized, I said good for him, he found something to make him happy.

Their issue is that they seem to think you've said atheists have full right to run up to Christians and mock their faith. Seems obvious to me what you meant but obviously not to everyone.
Dark__Link

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#25 Dark__Link
[QUOTE="wis3boi"] what? I dont go around telling religious people they need to forget their god.

Keep your gods to yourself and dont act surprised when you meet an atheist in real life and they question your god.wis3boi
..Uh huh.
Avatar image for GulliversTravel
GulliversTravel

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#26 GulliversTravel
Member since 2009 • 3110 Posts
Oh look, teh religion causes teh hate!
wis3boi

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#27 wis3boi
[QUOTE="Ace6301"][QUOTE="wis3boi"][QUOTE="Dark__Link"] ...:lol:

Their issue is that they seem to think you've said atheists have full right to run up to Christians and mock their faith. Seems obvious to me what you meant but obviously not to everyone.

I know, they're just misreading, I'm not typing it up again, i'm too lazy
GreySeal9

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#28 GreySeal9

[QUOTE="wis3boi"][QUOTE="LJS9502_basic"] Just a quick question.....why the double standard?LJS9502_basic

I don't know what kind of Catholics you know....but we don't have Jesus cards and we don't preach to people. And the double standard is the fact that you allow that only one side should express an opinion.

I agree that Catholics don't do usually do that (never had a Catholic come to my door whereas I've had some Envangelicals and a crapton of Mormons/Jehova's Witness), but it's certainly possible.

dkdk999

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#29 dkdk999
Member since 2007 • 6754 Posts
It was pretty well written I think. I don't love it but it was fairely enjoyable to me.
wis3boi

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#30 wis3boi

[QUOTE="LJS9502_basic"][QUOTE="wis3boi"] no double standard. i've had catholics come up to me and give me "jesus cards" and i tell them im an atheist, but thanks anyways, then they rant about how I need jesus. I tell them to keep it themselves. if i wanted religion I'd go find it, I dont need to be sold a religion. If everyone kept it at home, we'd be better offGreySeal9

I agree that Catholics don't do usually do that (never had a Catholic come to my door whereas I've had some Envangelicals and a crapton of Mormons/Jehova's Witness), but it's certainly possible.

i've seen christian pamphlets left on restaurant tables. I'm not generalizing, just using it as an example of why people need to keep it to themselves.
Dark__Link

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#31 Dark__Link
[QUOTE="LJS9502_basic"][QUOTE="wis3boi"][QUOTE="LJS9502_basic"] Just a quick question.....why the double standard?

What the f*** is a Jesus card? I'm picturing like a Jesus baseball card or something.
Ace6301

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#32 Ace6301
[QUOTE="Dark__Link"][QUOTE="LJS9502_basic"][QUOTE="wis3boi"] no double standard. i've had catholics come up to me and give me "jesus cards" and i tell them im an atheist, but thanks anyways, then they rant about how I need jesus. I tell them to keep it themselves. if i wanted religion I'd go find it, I dont need to be sold a religion. If everyone kept it at home, we'd be better off

What the f*** is a Jesus card? I'm picturing like a Jesus baseball card or something.

The ones I've been handed generally have various Bible sayings and that.
GreySeal9

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#33 GreySeal9

[QUOTE="LJS9502_basic"][QUOTE="wis3boi"] no double standard. i've had catholics come up to me and give me "jesus cards" and i tell them im an atheist, but thanks anyways, then they rant about how I need jesus. I tell them to keep it themselves. if i wanted religion I'd go find it, I dont need to be sold a religion. If everyone kept it at home, we'd be better offDark__Link

I think he meant pamphlet.

LJS9502_basic

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#34 LJS9502_basic
[QUOTE="Dark__Link"][QUOTE="LJS9502_basic"][QUOTE="wis3boi"] no double standard. i've had catholics come up to me and give me "jesus cards" and i tell them im an atheist, but thanks anyways, then they rant about how I need jesus. I tell them to keep it themselves. if i wanted religion I'd go find it, I dont need to be sold a religion. If everyone kept it at home, we'd be better off

No clue. Never saw one and I doubt it was a Catholic that gave it to him. Wonder what kind of stats are on the back.....
LJS9502_basic

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#35 LJS9502_basic
[QUOTE="GreySeal9"]

[QUOTE="LJS9502_basic"]I don't know what kind of Catholics you know....but we don't have Jesus cards and we don't preach to people. And the double standard is the fact that you allow that only one side should express an opinion.wis3boi

i've seen christian pamphlets left on restaurant tables. I'm not generalizing, just using it as an example of why people need to keep it to themselves.

FYI...Christian doesn't mean a Catholic left them.:|
-Sun_Tzu-

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#36 -Sun_Tzu-
Member since 2007 • 17384 Posts

I'm an anti-theist and proud of it

Ace6301

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#37 Ace6301
[QUOTE="Dark__Link"][QUOTE="LJS9502_basic"]I don't know what kind of Catholics you know....but we don't have Jesus cards and we don't preach to people. And the double standard is the fact that you allow that only one side should express an opinion.LJS9502_basic

No clue. Never saw one and I doubt it was a Catholic that gave it to him. Wonder what kind of stats are on the back.....

Cast down to the depths of Hell: 9999 to all non-believers. I almost got a full set of leviticus but they're kind of UP and no one takes them seriously :(
jerk-o-tron2000

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#38 jerk-o-tron2000

[QUOTE="LJS9502_basic"]

[QUOTE="wis3boi"]

Dark__Link

+1 for making me laugh with that imagery.

wis3boi

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#39 wis3boi

[QUOTE="LJS9502_basic"][QUOTE="wis3boi"] no double standard. i've had catholics come up to me and give me "jesus cards" and i tell them im an atheist, but thanks anyways, then they rant about how I need jesus. I tell them to keep it themselves. if i wanted religion I'd go find it, I dont need to be sold a religion. If everyone kept it at home, we'd be better offDark__Link

this is from another thread, obviously not mine, but basically the same thing i saw at work one day

GreySeal9

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#40 GreySeal9

[QUOTE="Dark__Link"][QUOTE="LJS9502_basic"]I don't know what kind of Catholics you know....but we don't have Jesus cards and we don't preach to people. And the double standard is the fact that you allow that only one side should express an opinion.wis3boi

this is from another thread, obviously not mine, but basically the same thing i saw at work one day

:lol:

LJS9502_basic

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#41 LJS9502_basic
Yeah dude but why are you blaming Catholics? We don't hand out cards.
wis3boi

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#42 wis3boi
Yeah dude but why are you blaming Catholics? We don't hand out cards.LJS9502_basic
I was using it as an example. Read next time. I'm about the most tolerant person out there, I find it just incredibly annoying when people push their views like that
jerk-o-tron2000

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#43 jerk-o-tron2000

[QUOTE="Dark__Link"]

[QUOTE="LJS9502_basic"]

wis3boi

Needless to say, If this happened to me. the fisrt word that would escape from my mouth at a high volume would be "GODDAMN IT!".

Dark__Link

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#44 Dark__Link
[QUOTE="LJS9502_basic"]Yeah dude but why are you blaming Catholics? We don't hand out cards.wis3boi
I was using it as an example. Read next time. I'm about the most tolerant person out there, I find it just incredibly annoying when people push their views like that

You know who else was tolerant? Jesus.
LJS9502_basic

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#45 LJS9502_basic
[QUOTE="LJS9502_basic"]Yeah dude but why are you blaming Catholics? We don't hand out cards.wis3boi

And we come back to your double standard. Anyway on what are you basing that the cards were Catholic?
LJS9502_basic

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#46 LJS9502_basic
[QUOTE="wis3boi"][QUOTE="LJS9502_basic"]Yeah dude but why are you blaming Catholics? We don't hand out cards.Dark__Link

I hope that is on the back of his baseball card....
wis3boi

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#47 wis3boi
[QUOTE="wis3boi"][QUOTE="LJS9502_basic"]Yeah dude but why are you blaming Catholics? We don't hand out cards.LJS9502_basic

And we come back to your double standard. Anyway on what are you basing that the cards were Catholic?

the person who left it there was from the catholic church across the street
Ace6301

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#48 Ace6301
[QUOTE="wis3boi"][QUOTE="LJS9502_basic"]Yeah dude but why are you blaming Catholics? We don't hand out cards.Dark__Link

Sadly so few follow by his example. Even those who attest that he is their lord and savior.
Avatar image for deactivated-597bb01c846a2
deactivated-597bb01c846a2

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: -3

#49 deactivated-597bb01c846a2
Member since 2011 • 1495 Posts
I am anti organized religion meddling with anything on the outside. I don't want Christianity, God or any other religion involved with politics. I am sick of the Americans in this country who want to plaster God on everything. **** them.
the_plan_man

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#50 the_plan_man
Member since 2011 • 1664 Posts
[QUOTE="LJS9502_basic"][QUOTE="wis3boi"] I was using it as an example. Read next time. I'm about the most tolerant person out there, I find it just incredibly annoying when people push their views like thatwis3boi

the person who left it there was from the catholic church across the street

I completely agree with LJ. Atheists can call Christian beliefs "stupid" to their face, thus, shoving their ideology onto Christians, but you get upset when Christians do the same to everyone else? Major double standard.