I just don't see how it's theoretically possible to disprove God's existence

This topic is locked from further discussion.

SaintWalrus

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

#1 SaintWalrus
Member since 2011 • 1715 Posts

Take this first instance.

Obviously we have the bible, and obviously this tells us of scriptures of the old.

Well, what about the stories of Pharoah back in the days of Moses? These stories stemmed from actual historical events.

So why is it so hard to accept the fact that these events had some divine intervention, if the authors of said scripture used actual truth, therefore shouldn't it be assumed that since their writings stem from truth, that they wouldn't deviate from that philosophy?

Look at Greek Mythology, it's gone because it's been disproven. No God is holding the sky up and such, we've proved these things with Science

But christianity is persistant. It has withstood repeated bludgeon after bludgeon by the scientific community, only to come out even strong a thousand years later.

And it's obvious that science is not flawless. We only know it's truth until disproven otherwise. In Science theories have been disproven and we have found new truth. Christianity has survived these claims at disproven such a notion. So therefore, wouldn't it make sense to wonder why such a religion is so strong? Why there have been millions upon millions of believers? It's because it provides strong evidence of its existence, but at the same time it is not conclusive proof of its existence.

So, what I'm really trying to say is, Christianity, in essence, is much like science. Both have strong evidence of their existence, and yet, at the same time, there is no definitive proof of either one (such as subcategories of science like Quantum Mechanics and theories such as the one electron universe)

Communist_Soul

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#2 Communist_Soul
Member since 2009 • 3080 Posts

You cannot disprove something that never fvcking existed.

Pirate700

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#3 Pirate700
Member since 2008 • 46465 Posts

Why did you think this needed yet another thread? Just curious.

SaintWalrus

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#4 SaintWalrus

Communist_Soul
Don't be a stereotypical, F GOD AND THE WORLD, Atheist. Use your brain and logic to form a decent argument against my thesis.
Xeogua

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#6 Xeogua
Member since 2010 • 1542 Posts

Here we go again.

worlock77

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#7 worlock77
Member since 2009 • 22552 Posts

You cannot prove that something doesn't exist. The burden of proof, however, does not lie on the sceptic. The burden of proof lies on the one making the claim.

SaintWalrus

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#8 SaintWalrus

You cannot prove that something doesn't exist. The burden of proof, however, does not lie on the sceptic. The burden of proof lies on the one making the claim.

worlock77
Burden of proof does not apply to ideas that have garnered billions of followers... Maybe to the church of the Jedi, But not something as ancient and strong as Christianity
worlock77

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#9 worlock77

[QUOTE="worlock77"]

SaintWalrus

Burden of proof does not apply to ideas that have garnered billions of followers... Maybe to the church of the Jedi, But not something as ancient and strong as Christianity

Yes, it does. The burden of proof lies on any claim.

Communist_Soul

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#10 Communist_Soul

[QUOTE="Communist_Soul"]

SaintWalrus

Don't be a stereotypical, F GOD AND THE WORLD, Atheist. Use your brain and logic to form a decent argument against my thesis.

I actually love the world, I'm going to Africa this September to volunteer...

Anyways one you don't have a thesis, I did use logic because you can't disprove a negative. Atheism is not a belief that a god doesn't exists more over it's the defacto state of all humans when they are born and learn a fairy tale to be taken as truth.

SaintWalrus

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#11 SaintWalrus

[QUOTE="SaintWalrus"][QUOTE="worlock77"]

worlock77

Ok, Gravity is ridiculous and I choose not to believe it in Because we have no conclusive proof on it's origins Therefor, it does not apply to me
Avatar image for deactivated-5b78379493e12
deactivated-5b78379493e12

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 12

#12 deactivated-5b78379493e12
Member since 2005 • 15625 Posts

You cannot disprove something that by it's very definition is beyond our comprehension. It's based on belief, not logic or intelligence.

Heisenderp

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#13 Heisenderp
Member since 2011 • 815 Posts

FFS, I'm using this one way too much.

muller39

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

#14 muller39
Member since 2008 • 14953 Posts

Here we go again.

Xeogua
Twas thinking the same thing.
Communist_Soul

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#15 Communist_Soul

[QUOTE="worlock77"]

[QUOTE="SaintWalrus"] Burden of proof does not apply to ideas that have garnered billions of followers... Maybe to the church of the Jedi, But not something as ancient and strong as ChristianitySaintWalrus

Ok, Gravity is ridiculous and I choose not to believe it in Because we have no conclusive proof on it's origins Therefor, it does not apply to me

From this point forward I will try my best to never argue with a religious person. It's pointless and seems self destructive.

worlock77

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#16 worlock77

[QUOTE="worlock77"]

[QUOTE="SaintWalrus"] Burden of proof does not apply to ideas that have garnered billions of followers... Maybe to the church of the Jedi, But not something as ancient and strong as ChristianitySaintWalrus

You can choose not to believe in it if you want, but take a step off a cliff and tell me what happens.

ghoklebutter

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#17 ghoklebutter
Member since 2007 • 19327 Posts

Obviously we have the bible, and obviously this tells us of scriptures of the old.

Well, what about the stories of Pharoah back in the days of Moses? These stories stemmed from actual historical events.

So why is it so hard to accept the fact that these events had some divine intervention, if the authors of said scripture used actual truth, therefore shouldn't it be assumed that since their writings stem from truth, that they wouldn't deviate from that philosophy?

Look at Greek Mythology, it's gone because it's been disproven. No God is holding the sky up and such, we've proved these things with Science

But christianity is persistant. It has withstood repeated bludgeon after bludgeon by the scientific community, only to come out even strong a thousand years later.

And it's obvious that science is not flawless. We only know it's truth until disproven otherwise. In Science theories have been disproven and we have found new truth. Christianity has survived these claims at disproven such a notion. So therefore, wouldn't it make sense to wonder why such a religion is so strong? Why there have been millions upon millions of believers? It's because it provides strong evidence of its existence, but at the same time it is not conclusive proof of its existence.

So, what I'm really trying to say is, Christianity, in essence, is much like science. Both have strong evidence of their existence, and yet, at the same time, there is no definitive proof of either one (such as subcategories of science like Quantum Mechanics and theories such as the one electron universe)

SaintWalrus

What makes you think that those stories are necessarily divinely inspired? Why I can't I say that some people just made them up?

Also, it's unreasonable to assume that everyone writes down the truth. It's quite possible that it's been distorted somehow over time.

That Christianity has existed for a long time does not make it more likely to be true.

Lastly, Christianity is nothing like science, because it is not based on the scientific method. And like all other religions, it has no justification save appeal to absurdity ("Hey, it just has to be from a divine source, guys! Anything else would be absurd!").

Your argument is pure sophistry. I'm sorry.

RandomWinner

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#18 RandomWinner
Member since 2010 • 3751 Posts

How do you disprove evolution? Hell, how do YOU prove the earth is round and the Earth isn't the center of the universe? Have you calculated how the stars move, flown around the world? Science is all about faith as well. It just has more substantial evidence to back it up. If you like to think everyone is lying to you then power to ya.

-Karmum-

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#19 -Karmum-
Member since 2007 • 3775 Posts
I find it difficult to prove something exists when it has never made itself apparent or known.
SaintWalrus

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#20 SaintWalrus

worlock77

You can choose not to believe in it if you want, but take a step off a cliff and tell me what happens.

And if you shoot yourself, tell me where you end up.
theone86

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

#21 theone86
Member since 2003 • 22669 Posts

[QUOTE="Communist_Soul"]

SaintWalrus

Well, you're not using logic in the formation of your argument. The essential element of your argument is that if a text includes actual historical events then it is completely accurate, which is entirely ridiculous. Speaking of which, most historians and anthropologists think that most of the events in the Bible are purely fictional. We have far more information on pharohs other than the one depicted in the Bible, for instance, and they have found more support for alternative explanations for the exodus than the one in the Bible. The Old Testament makes more sense as an allegorical tale meant to be indicative of culture than a true history, as history it's inaccurate and spotty at best.

theone86

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#22 theone86

[QUOTE="worlock77"]

SaintWalrus

Argumentum ad populum is a fallacy, what was that you were saying about poor logic?

theone86

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#23 theone86

Communist_Soul

From this point forward I will try my best to never argue with a religious person. It's pointless and seems self destructive.

They remain in the upper world, but this must not be allowed; they must be made to descend again among the prisoners in the den and partake of their labors and honors, whether they are worth having or not.

worlock77

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#24 worlock77

[QUOTE="worlock77"]

[QUOTE="SaintWalrus"] Ok, Gravity is ridiculous and I choose not to believe it in Because we have no conclusive proof on it's origins Therefor, it does not apply to meSaintWalrus

And if you shoot yourself, tell me where you end up.

I'll end up ether in the hospital or the morgue, but I'm not going to move my plan up by three decades just to humor you. And you're probably not keen on falling off a cliff I'd imagine so try this instead: grab a piece of paper, roll it into a ball and toss it into the air. Tell me the result.

Heisenderp

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#25 Heisenderp

[QUOTE="worlock77"]

Are you, by any chance, a dumbass?

BossPerson

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#26 BossPerson
Member since 2011 • 9177 Posts

[QUOTE="SaintWalrus"]

ghoklebutter

What makes you think that those stories are necessarily divinely inspired? Why I can't I say that some people just made them up?

Also, it's unreasonable to assume that everyone writes down the truth. It's quite possible that it's been distorted somehow over time.

That Christianity has existed for a long time does not make it more likely to be true.

Lastly, Christianity is nothing like science, because it is not based on the scientific method. And like all other religions, it has no justification save appeal to absurdity ("Hey, it just has to be from a divine source, guys! Anything else would be absurd!").

Your argument is pure sophistry. I'm sorry.

pretty much this
NEWMAHAY

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#27 NEWMAHAY
Member since 2012 • 3824 Posts
Did the TC even try to use reasoning when he made this thread?
Communist_Soul

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#28 Communist_Soul

[QUOTE="Communist_Soul"]

[QUOTE="SaintWalrus"] Ok, Gravity is ridiculous and I choose not to believe it in Because we have no conclusive proof on it's origins Therefor, it does not apply to metheone86

They remain in the upper world, but this must not be allowed; they must be made to descend again among the prisoners in the den and partake of their labors and honors, whether they are worth having or not.

Each and every foray into the world of philosophy is personal. All I can do is provide is logic and reason, but to argue with them strengths their false beliefs, we must let them descend on their own and discover our den.

Probably made zero sense, miss-interrupted your statement, time to read more.

XaosII

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#29 XaosII
Member since 2003 • 16705 Posts

Your argument amounts to Russell's Teapot argument. And its a fallacy.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Russell%27s_teapot

Lostboy1224

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 10

#30 Lostboy1224
Member since 2007 • 3425 Posts
lots of versions of God in this world. Be a good person and the rest will take care of itself.
Avatar image for ConkerAndBerri2
ConkerAndBerri2

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#31 ConkerAndBerri2
Member since 2008 • 2009 Posts

Who cares? We'll never know if God exists. The end.

SPYDER0416

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 24

#32 SPYDER0416
Member since 2008 • 16736 Posts

Well you can't prove it either, so its more of a stalemate then any kind of victory in whose right.

Hubadubalubahu

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#33 Hubadubalubahu
Member since 2005 • 1081 Posts

SaintWalrus
There are many reasons why what is in the bible is not necessarily complete fact, but there is a quote from the book 1984 that seemed apt here. "And if all others accepted the lie which the Party imposed -if all records told the same tale - then the lie passed into history and became truth. 'Who controls the past,' ran the Party slogan, 'controls the future: who controls the present controls the past.' And yet the past, though of its nature alterable, never had been altered. Whatever was true now was true from everlasting to everlasting. It was quite simple. All that was needed was an unending series of victories over your own memory. 'Reality control'," Who is to say that what they wrote down is true. Who controls the past controls the future.
chaoscougar1

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 12

#34 chaoscougar1
Member since 2005 • 37603 Posts
[QUOTE="worlock77"]

*Throws you out of a plane* Should gravity exist Pray
Vari3ty

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#35 Vari3ty
Member since 2009 • 11111 Posts

You can't use science to prove religion is wrong, and likewise you can't use religion to prove science wrong.

XaosII

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#36 XaosII

You can't use science to prove religion is wrong, and likewise you can't use religion to prove science wrong.

Vari3ty

You only need logic to religion is wrong.

ghoklebutter

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#37 ghoklebutter

[QUOTE="Vari3ty"]

XaosII

You only need logic to prove religion is wrong.

this x infinity
theone86

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#38 theone86

[QUOTE="Vari3ty"]

XaosII

You only need logic to religion is wrong.

I wouldn't say wrong, but if you apply a logic-based system of ontology then certainly religion is almost infeasible. Most of logic relies on truth value of statements, and given that the truth value of religiously-based statements is dubious at best you cannot make a logical proof for the existence of god, though that is always subject to new evidence. There is also inductive logic, which relies less on truth value and more on probabilities, though it is generally considered weaker than deductive logic. God is possible using inductive logic, but even then given the evidence at hand an argument for the existence of god could at best be described as inductively weak. In essence, any belief in a god goes beyond any facts and what we can deduce from those facts, hence the term faith.

washnwax

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#39 washnwax
Member since 2011 • 274 Posts

may as well rename OT to the religous Vs Atheist section.

thanks for another useless thread you fcking churchie.

Philokalia

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#40 Philokalia
Member since 2012 • 2910 Posts

It first and foremost depends on how we define God, if we are talking about certain religions say Christianity there is a way to disprove that God, one simply has to show beyond all question that Jesus Christ did not raise from teh dead while explaining the historic facts surrounding the events. But if we are talking about just a bland theistic view of God, An All knowing, ALl Powerful, All Good being then it becomes very hard to disprove that being.

Avatar image for almasdeathchild
almasdeathchild

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 9

#41 almasdeathchild
Member since 2011 • 8922 Posts

"i just dont see how it's theoretically possible to prove gods existence"

Philokalia

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#42 Philokalia

almasdeathchild

If you can establish he is necessary then one certaintly can show God's existence.

ghoklebutter

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#43 ghoklebutter

[QUOTE="almasdeathchild"]

Philokalia

If you can establish he is necessary then one certaintly can show God's existence.

His existence isn't necessary, though.
Hubadubalubahu

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#44 Hubadubalubahu
Member since 2005 • 1081 Posts

[QUOTE="almasdeathchild"]

Philokalia

Human reason is incapable of providing sufficient rational grounds to justify the belief that deities either do or do not exist. Not yet.
washnwax

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#45 washnwax
Member since 2011 • 274 Posts

Photobucket.

XaosII

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#46 XaosII

It first and foremost depends on how we define God, if we are talking about certain religions say Christianity there is a way to disprove that God, one simply has to show beyond all question that Jesus Christ did not raise from teh dead while explaining the historic facts surrounding the events. But if we are talking about just a bland theistic view of God, An All knowing, ALl Powerful, All Good being then it becomes very hard to disprove that being.

Philokalia

To disprove that god exists must mean that there is prove (or at least plausible evidence) that he does exist. That proof has not been established in the first place.

Heisenderp

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#47 Heisenderp

Photobucket.

washnwax

:lol:

That meme always gets me.

Philokalia

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#48 Philokalia

[QUOTE="Philokalia"]

XaosII

To disprove that god exists must mean that there is prove (or at least plausible evidence) that he does exist. That proof has not been established in the first place.

That makes no sense, I don't have to prove there is a purple unicorn in my room in order to prove there is no purple unicorn in my room.

Avatar image for deactivated-6127ced9bcba0
deactivated-6127ced9bcba0

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

#49 deactivated-6127ced9bcba0
Member since 2006 • 31700 Posts

I just don't see how it's theoretically possible that you're going to persuade anybody on this forum to agree with you.

Philokalia

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#50 Philokalia

His existence isn't necessary, though.ghoklebutter

I beg to differ, but needless to say if his existence can be shown to be necessary in some way thats good grounds for believing he exists.