I just don't see how it's theoretically possible to disprove God's existence

This topic is locked from further discussion.

Avatar image for almasdeathchild
almasdeathchild

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 9

User Lists: 0

#51 almasdeathchild
Member since 2011 • 8922 Posts

[QUOTE="XaosII"]

[QUOTE="Philokalia"]

It first and foremost depends on how we define God, if we are talking about certain religions say Christianity there is a way to disprove that God, one simply has to show beyond all question that Jesus Christ did not raise from teh dead while explaining the historic facts surrounding the events. But if we are talking about just a bland theistic view of God, An All knowing, ALl Powerful, All Good being then it becomes very hard to disprove that being.

Philokalia

To disprove that god exists must mean that there is prove (or at least plausible evidence) that he does exist. That proof has not been established in the first place.

That makes no sense, I don't have to prove there is a purple unicorn in my room in order to prove there is no purple unicorn in my room.

that just reminded me of this

Philokalia

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

#52 Philokalia
Member since 2012 • 2910 Posts

Are you suggesting there is a purple unicorn in my room?

Xx_Socrates_xX

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#54 Xx_Socrates_xX
Member since 2012 • 3604 Posts

Christianity has been disproven many times, with Galileo discovering the earth is not the center of the universe and that the Earth orbits the Sun. Plus, you cannot disprove something that cannot be proven.

chaoscougar1

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 12

#55 chaoscougar1
Member since 2005 • 37603 Posts

Christianity has been disproven many times, with Galileo discovering the earth is not the center of the universe and that the Earth orbits the Sun. Plus, you cannot disprove something that cannot be proven.

Xx_Socrates_xX

Smooth

Avatar image for almasdeathchild
almasdeathchild

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 9

#56 almasdeathchild
Member since 2011 • 8922 Posts

Are you suggesting there is a purple unicorn in my room?

Philokalia

i could be

Pikdum

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#57 Pikdum
Member since 2010 • 2244 Posts

Both havestrong evidence of their existence

SaintWalrus

Xx_Socrates_xX

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#58 Xx_Socrates_xX
Member since 2012 • 3604 Posts

[QUOTE="Xx_Socrates_xX"]

chaoscougar1

Smooth

I meant disproving minor things like the Sun orbiting the Earth, not Christianity itself as a whole.
Philokalia

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#59 Philokalia
Member since 2012 • 2910 Posts

lol@notionGalileodisprovedChristianityandnotaristotelianastronomy.

Rhazakna

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#60 Rhazakna
Member since 2004 • 11022 Posts
I have to say that the OP has the worst argument for Christianity I have ever heard in my life. Literally the worst. "Some of the stuff in the bible is based on history, therefore every single supernatural claim in the bible is true! Derp!" Yes gods, man.
WiiCubeM1

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

#61 WiiCubeM1
Member since 2009 • 4735 Posts

You can't disprove the existence of a god as there is no evidence to distinctly disprove his existence (I get it, this argument is "old, repetitive, stupid, and unnecessary. The mark of a blind Christian".)

There are notions in science we cannot disprove, so they are given the benefit of the doubt to exist simply because there is no evidence to say it can't exist, wormholes being the prime example. They are only thought to exist as there is nothing in physics, relativity, or quantum mechanics stating they cannot exist.

I'm expecting old and tired rebuttles to this old and tired argument, but when you get down to it, ^THIS^ is the only argument christians can make that doesn't border on the supernatural. Like any theory, it's to be given the benefit of the doubt until explicitley proven false.

EntropyWins

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#63 EntropyWins
Member since 2010 • 1209 Posts

To disprove that god exists must mean that there is prove (or at least plausible evidence) that he does exist. That proof has not been established in the first place.

XaosII
Doesn't the mere fact that we are able to discuss whether a god exists or not mean that god must exist on some level?
painguy1

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#64 painguy1
Member since 2007 • 8686 Posts

religion is simply a cop-out for those who are scared to have unanswered questions left unanswered.

Avatar image for chessmaster1989
chessmaster1989

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 8

#65 chessmaster1989
Member since 2008 • 30203 Posts
It isn't.
Guybrush_3

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#66 Guybrush_3
Member since 2008 • 8308 Posts

[QUOTE="worlock77"]

You cannot prove that something doesn't exist. The burden of proof, however, does not lie on the sceptic. The burden of proof lies on the one making the claim.

SaintWalrus

Burden of proof does not apply to ideas that have garnered billions of followers... Maybe to the church of the Jedi, But not something as ancient and strong as Christianity

not familiar with the ad populum fallacy are we? or appeal to ignorance, or burden of proof....

Iridionprime

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#67 Iridionprime
Member since 2011 • 440 Posts

Take this first instance.

Obviously we have the bible, and obviously this tells us of scriptures of the old.

Well, what about the stories of Pharoah back in the days of Moses? These stories stemmed from actual historical events.

So why is it so hard to accept the fact that these events had some divine intervention, if the authors of said scripture used actual truth, therefore shouldn't it be assumed that since their writings stem from truth, that they wouldn't deviate from that philosophy?

Look at Greek Mythology, it's gone because it's been disproven. No God is holding the sky up and such, we've proved these things with Science

But christianity is persistant. It has withstood repeated bludgeon after bludgeon by the scientific community, only to come out even strong a thousand years later.

And it's obvious that science is not flawless. We only know it's truth until disproven otherwise. In Science theories have been disproven and we have found new truth. Christianity has survived these claims at disproven such a notion. So therefore, wouldn't it make sense to wonder why such a religion is so strong? Why there have been millions upon millions of believers? It's because it provides strong evidence of its existence, but at the same time it is not conclusive proof of its existence.

So, what I'm really trying to say is, Christianity, in essence, is much like science. Both have strong evidence of their existence, and yet, at the same time, there is no definitive proof of either one (such as subcategories of science like Quantum Mechanics and theories such as the one electron universe)

SaintWalrus

I don't care what you say, I'm still going to sacrifice 100 bulls to Zeus.

limpbizkit818

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

#68 limpbizkit818
Member since 2004 • 15044 Posts

You cannot prove that something doesn't exist. The burden of proof, however, does not lie on the sceptic. The burden of proof lies on the one making the claim.

worlock77
Why can't you prove something does not exist? If I said that my favorite senator is black and from New York you could easily disprove the existence of such a person. Could you not?
Guybrush_3

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#69 Guybrush_3
Member since 2008 • 8308 Posts

[QUOTE="worlock77"]

limpbizkit818

Why can't you prove something does not exist? If I said that my favorite senator is black and from New York you could easily disprove the existence of such a person. Could you not?

A magical unicorn flies around the earth but it hides behind the moon and is invisible to cammeras. Prove me wrong.

Vader993

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#70 Vader993
Member since 2010 • 7533 Posts

[QUOTE="SaintWalrus"][QUOTE="worlock77"]

Yes, it does. The burden of proof lies on any claim.

worlock77

Ok, Gravity is ridiculous and I choose not to believe it in Because we have no conclusive proof on it's origins Therefor, it does not apply to me

You can choose not to believe in it if you want, but take a step off a cliff and tell me what happens.

That doesn't mean gravity as we know is 100 percent true. New knowledge from the future could disprove our understanding of gravity. It could be proved so wrong that we'll have give it a new name or label. Take Aristotelian physics for example before newtonian mechanics Aristotelian physics explained why objects fall but that doesn't mean its true.

coolbeans90

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#71 coolbeans90
Member since 2009 • 21305 Posts

Umm, atheists generally don't attempt to disprove God's existence.

Avatar image for Human-after-all
Human-after-all

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#72 Human-after-all
Member since 2009 • 2972 Posts
[QUOTE="Communist_Soul"]

You cannot disprove something that never fvcking existed.

SaintWalrus
Don't be a stereotypical, F GOD AND THE WORLD, Atheist. Use your brain and logic to form a decent argument against my thesis.

Once you start talking about God, logic is lost.
Avatar image for ChampionoChumps
ChampionoChumps

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#73 ChampionoChumps
Member since 2008 • 2381 Posts
Why are the idiots always the loud ones? Anyways isn't the OP a known troll?
bbwwoman

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#74 bbwwoman
Member since 2012 • 112 Posts

god is real,he gives this guy powers...thats all the proof we need.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5lvU-DislkI

TheFlush

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 5

#75 TheFlush
Member since 2002 • 5965 Posts

bbwwoman

It scares me that our society is so full of morons who play to believe this crap.

bbwwoman

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#76 bbwwoman
Member since 2012 • 112 Posts

[QUOTE="bbwwoman"]

TheFlush

It scares me that our society is so full of morons who play to believe this crap.

ikr,brainwashed cult.

vfibsux

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 52

#77 vfibsux
Member since 2003 • 4497 Posts

Communist_Soul
Prove it.
themajormayor

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#79 themajormayor
Member since 2011 • 25729 Posts
You cannot disprove fact
vfibsux

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#80 vfibsux

This whole "I'm atheist and I'm intellectually superior to you" act is pure bull****.

The problem is some of you are always looking at the extreme and ignoring the regular every day Christian, like ones who have no problem calling bull****. Most of you would be surprised of the people who are believers that you might not even know about because they don't share it with you. You are talking about 90% of the world's population (depending on what poll you read, it will always be high) that disagrees with YOU. Why do you even care? How does it affect your day? Does it really harm you in some way that your money says "God" on it? Really?

The problem I see is the typical person when presenting themself as an atheist is a spiteful, hateful, little *** of a person. Which only furthers makes me beleive you could use some religion, you seem pretty angry and unhappy. You are so intent on forcing your non-belief down our throats and letting us know how stupid we are for believing in the "imaginary man in the sky", why is that? Is it because religious people seem happy to you and you are a miserable turd of a human? This is how I see you, because every time you rear your ugly head it is to insult Christians.

tjricardo089

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#81 tjricardo089
Member since 2010 • 7429 Posts

Communist_Soul

You don't know that, nobody does actually. You can't disprove God's existence nor prove it.

-Renegade

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 7

#82 -Renegade
Member since 2007 • 8340 Posts
Well it's pretty easy to disprove something if there is no evidence that it actually exists.
washnwax

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#83 washnwax
Member since 2011 • 274 Posts

This whole "I'm atheist and I'm intellectually superior to you" act is pure bull****.

The problem is some of you are always looking at the extreme and ignoring the regular every day Christian, like ones who have no problem calling bull****. Most of you would be surprised of the people who are believers that you might not even know about because they don't share it with you. You are talking about 90% of the world's population (depending on what poll you read, it will always be high) that disagrees with YOU. Why do you even care? How does it affect your day? Does it really harm you in some way that your money says "God" on it? Really?

The problem I see is the typical person when presenting themself as an atheist is a spiteful, hateful, little *** of a person. Which only furthers makes me beleive you could use some religion, you seem pretty angry and unhappy. You are so intent on forcing your non-belief down our throats and letting us know how stupid we are for believing in the "imaginary man in the sky", why is that? Is it because religious people seem happy to you and you are a miserable turd of a human? This is how I see you, because every time you rear your ugly head it is to insult Christians.

vfibsux

yeah and every christian that comes knocking on my door trying to force their beliefs on me needs a good punch to the fcking head.

Angry_Beaver

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#84 Angry_Beaver
Member since 2003 • 4884 Posts

Take this first instance.

Obviously we have the bible, and obviously this tells us of scriptures of the old.

Well, what about the stories of Pharoah back in the days of Moses? These stories stemmed from actual historical events.SaintWalrus

Some biblical stories most likely did, but others have either been disproven or have gone unconfirmed.

So why is it so hard to accept the fact that these events had some divine intervention, if the authors of said scripture used actual truth, therefore shouldn't it be assumed that since their writings stem from truth, that they wouldn't deviate from that philosophy?

Adding to what I said above, it's well-known that ancient writers of various cultures didn't always write the truth. Extraordinary occurrences (e.g. water being turned into wine, walking on water, the resurrection, and even the divine formation of the world) are rendered even more unbelievable because of this. Believing they happened is never justified, as there's no modern evidence that they're possible, and plenty of evidence suggesting that they aren't.

Look at Greek Mythology, it's gone because it's been disproven. No God is holding the sky up and such, we've proved these things with Science

Greek mythology is "gone" because of historical events relating to the establishment of a vast empire whose ruler came to endorse Christianity, among other important events. I think its current status has little to do with disproof. Continued below.

But christianity is persistant. It has withstood repeated bludgeon after bludgeon by the scientific community, only to come out even strong a thousand years later.

It's not withstood the bludgeoning at all. It's altered itself, by destroying the meanings of words, so it apparently doesn't have to worry about those things. Altering it further to incorporate all things derived from modern scientific findings renders it absolutely groundless. But then people will warp it again. Christianity now -- at least in the developed world -- is nothing like Christianity as it used to be. The fact that it's still around despite all the disproof also owes to the fact that widely-held beliefs are difficult to dislodge, a difficulty that is exacerbated when it comes to things as deep-seated as religions. Believers don't want to give it up, so they'll distort it until the cognitive dissonance apparently (to them) goes away.

And it's obvious that science is not flawless. We only know it's truth until disproven otherwise. In Science theories have been disproven and we have found new truth. Christianity has survived these claims at disproven such a notion. So therefore, wouldn't it make sense to wonder why such a religion is so strong? Why there have been millions upon millions of believers? It's because it provides strong evidence of its existence, but at the same time it is not conclusive proof of its existence.

Yes, there is strong evidence of Christianity's existence: churches, books, and believers. I think you meant "evidence of its truth", which is an entirely different issue. There is no scientifically-confirmed evidence of the truth of the supernatural elements of the religion, and there is plenty of evidence against said elements. Reread my above paragraphs.

So, what I'm really trying to say is, Christianity, in essence, is much like science. Both have strong evidence of their existence, and yet, at the same time, there is no definitive proof of either one (such as subcategories of science like Quantum Mechanics and theories such as the one electron universe)

Christianity totally lacks the intellectual resiliance you attribute to it. Comparing it to science as you are is demeaning to science qua human intellectual endeavor.

Stop it.

Avatar image for deactivated-5b19214ec908b
deactivated-5b19214ec908b

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#85 deactivated-5b19214ec908b
Member since 2007 • 25072 Posts

There is no evidence that there is a god, therefore there is no reason to believe there is a god.

Angry_Beaver

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#86 Angry_Beaver
Member since 2003 • 4884 Posts

Like any theory, it's to be given the benefit of the doubt until explicitley proven false.

WiiCubeM1

"Believe everything until proven false" is a horrible way to go about life.

The problem I see is the typical person when presenting themself as an atheist is a spiteful, hateful, little *** of a person. Which only furthers makes me beleive you could use some religion, you seem pretty angry and unhappy. You are so intent on forcing your non-belief down our throats and letting us know how stupid we are for believing in the "imaginary man in the sky", why is that? Is it because religious people seem happy to you and you are a miserable turd of a human? This is how I see you, because every time you rear your ugly head it is to insult Christians.vfibsux

Please read this book. It will answer and rebut everything you've said here.

http://www.amazon.com/Atheists-Angry-Things-Godless-ebook/dp/B007MCMKV6

Mephers3

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#87 Mephers3
Member since 2011 • 164 Posts
Dont bother trying to argue with the militant atheists, theyre worse than "bible thumpers"
washnwax

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#88 washnwax
Member since 2011 • 274 Posts

Dont bother trying to argue with the militant atheists, theyre worse than "bible thumpers"Mephers3
yeah and believing that a guy died and rised up a few days later or women were created from a rib bone is just way more convincing than anything hey.

atheists worse than bible thumpers? yeah im sure bro but im pretty sure we dont come around to your house every sunday trying to tell yous to turn away from your beliefs and forcing our way of thinking onto you.

Nude_Dude

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#89 Nude_Dude
Member since 2007 • 5530 Posts

Communist_Soul
spoken like a true communist
Avatar image for deactivated-59d151f079814
deactivated-59d151f079814

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#90 deactivated-59d151f079814
Member since 2003 • 47239 Posts

[QUOTE="XaosII"]

[QUOTE="Philokalia"]

It first and foremost depends on how we define God, if we are talking about certain religions say Christianity there is a way to disprove that God, one simply has to show beyond all question that Jesus Christ did not raise from teh dead while explaining the historic facts surrounding the events. But if we are talking about just a bland theistic view of God, An All knowing, ALl Powerful, All Good being then it becomes very hard to disprove that being.

Philokalia

That makes no sense, I don't have to prove there is a purple unicorn in my room in order to prove there is no purple unicorn in my room.

Then you my friend have absolutely no idea what your talking about when it comes to basic logical reasoning..
worlock77

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#91 worlock77
Member since 2009 • 22552 Posts

vfibsux

I never realized that responding in a thread in a public forum, a thread which invites debate, was shoving non-belief down anyone's throat. If that is the case than is not the TC also shoving his belief down our throats?

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#92 deactivated-59d151f079814

vfibsux
You do know that your statement has basically illustrated that your the exact same person (spiteful, hateful) that your being critical of within your very paragraphs right?
sayyy-gaa

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#93 sayyy-gaa
Member since 2002 • 5850 Posts

Communist_Soul

Zeus, Athena, Hyperion, Thor, Odin, and other such gods never existed. They have been disproven.

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#94 deactivated-59d151f079814

[QUOTE="Communist_Soul"]

sayyy-gaa

Zeus, Athena, Hyperion, Thor, Odin, and other such gods never existed. They have been disproven.

Where have they been disproven? They were never proven to exist to begin with.. And Pagenism was crushed by the Holy Roman Empire most of the time at the edge of a sword or axe within the region.

Avatar image for deactivated-5a9b3f32ef4e9
deactivated-5a9b3f32ef4e9

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#95 deactivated-5a9b3f32ef4e9
Member since 2009 • 7779 Posts

:|

vfibsux

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#96 vfibsux

[QUOTE="vfibsux"]

washnwax

yeah and every christian that comes knocking on my door trying to force their beliefs on me needs a good punch to the fcking head.

First of all your reply does not nothing to prove the theory that atheists can have just as much morals as Christians can, just sayin. And those are not normal everyday Christians, if they were then 90% of the population of the United States would be knocking on each other's doors 50 times a day. You are exactly the type my post was in reference to, you take the extreme among us and make it your case to use against religion. The FACT is religion does great things around the world on a daily basis. What have you done to help someone you don't know lately? If at all?
vfibsux

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#97 vfibsux

[QUOTE="WiiCubeM1"]

Like any theory, it's to be given the benefit of the doubt until explicitley proven false.

Angry_Beaver

"Believe everything until proven false" is a horrible way to go about life.

The problem I see is the typical person when presenting themself as an atheist is a spiteful, hateful, little *** of a person. Which only furthers makes me beleive you could use some religion, you seem pretty angry and unhappy. You are so intent on forcing your non-belief down our throats and letting us know how stupid we are for believing in the "imaginary man in the sky", why is that? Is it because religious people seem happy to you and you are a miserable turd of a human? This is how I see you, because every time you rear your ugly head it is to insult Christians.vfibsux

Please read this book. It will answer and rebut everything you've said here.

http://www.amazon.com/Atheists-Angry-Things-Godless-ebook/dp/B007MCMKV6

So what you are saying is forget what you experience and believe everything you read? Sorry but I see atheists being **** WAAAAAAY too often to think anything else of you. You talk the talk just great but when it comes to walking you show your true colors far too often. Now I am talking about the vocal atheists, I am sure there are plenty who mind their own business.

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#98 deactivated-59d151f079814
[QUOTE="washnwax"]

[QUOTE="vfibsux"]

vfibsux

First of all your reply does not nothing to prove the theory that atheists can have just as much morals as Christians can, just sayin. And those are not normal everyday Christians, if they were then 90% of the population of the United States would be knocking on each other's doors 50 times a day. You are exactly the type my post was in reference to, you take the extreme among us and make it your case to use against religion. The FACT is religion does great things around the world on a daily basis. What have you done to help someone you don't know lately? If at all?

Morality is subjective and is based around the society and not specifically religion.. If one were to compare many Christian morals now compared to 1000 to 1500 years ago, you would see a stark contrast in many areas.. The United States is a secular country, and old age Christian morals wouldn't even fit in many areas.. Guess people don't realize that doing things like charging interest was seen as a huge sin within the Christian faith long ago.. So much for that.
vfibsux

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#99 vfibsux

[QUOTE="Mephers3"]Dont bother trying to argue with the militant atheists, theyre worse than "bible thumpers"washnwax

yeah and believing that a guy died and rised up a few days later or women were created from a rib bone is just way more convincing than anything hey.

atheists worse than bible thumpers? yeah im sure bro but im pretty sure we dont come around to your house every sunday trying to tell yous to turn away from your beliefs and forcing our way of thinking onto you.

I don't remember the last time anyone knocked on my door, I think you are exaggerating to support your view. The bottom line folks, Christians don't require proof to give our faith to God. If God gave us proof he existed he would not get the benefit of the doubt from you atheists, he wants to see your true colors in the absence of proof. For any married men you know how your wife wants you to do things without her having to tell you? If she has to tell you then when you do it, it no longer has any meaning to it. Same type of thing here. God gave us free will and wants our love to come by choice. You choose not to believe, that is your decision. Good luck with that.
kris9031998

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 7

#100 kris9031998
Member since 2008 • 7554 Posts
It's saint walrus guys, if you haven't figured it out, hes a troll