I just don't see how it's theoretically possible to disprove God's existence

This topic is locked from further discussion.

Avatar image for VanHelsingBoA64
VanHelsingBoA64

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

#151 VanHelsingBoA64
Member since 2007 • 5455 Posts

[QUOTE="Angry_Beaver"]

[QUOTE="G-O-M-J"]Atheists of this thread, why are you complaining about religious people "forcing" their beliefs on you, are you really so pathetic that you let these things get to you? Get a grip please, your making the rest of us look bad.WiiCubeM1

So trying to inject religious doctrine into classrooms, courthouses, and women's reproductive rights isn't forcing?

Cutting children's genitalia and burning people accused of witchcraft (which still happens) isn't forcing?

Have you personally dealt with people trying to teach you creation in school, in court, or been denied contraception? Are you even a woman? Unless you deal with people really trying to force religion down your throat you're just taking media problems on as your own.

If more people had this philosophy, the world would be a terrible place.
Avatar image for 001011000101101

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 337

#152 001011000101101
Member since 2008 • 4395 Posts

You cannot disprove something that never fvcking existed.

Communist_Soul
Pretty much.
tenaka2

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#153 tenaka2
Member since 2004 • 17958 Posts

This is why, sometimes religion is an intellectual dead end.

gotdangit

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#154 gotdangit
Member since 2005 • 8151 Posts

More arguing about his actual paragraph than religion itself.

The Bing Bang Theory, is just a theory. Can it ever really be truly proven that that is what happened? Maybe one day. But for now, it takes faith to believe in the Bing Bang. This is also what drives religions is faith. You say the BB theory has evidence, well so does Christianity, look at all the stories. It's up to you to decide if they are stories or not. 4 people write about Jesus in the new testament that hadn't even met each other before, look how similar their stories are. Things like this lead people to believe in God, and Jesus as a savior.

Both are just faith. But you're just putting your faith it what you think is right.

worlock77

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#155 worlock77
Member since 2009 • 22552 Posts

The Bing Bang Theory, is just a theory. Can it ever really be truly proven that that is what happened? Maybe one day. But for now, it takes faith to believe in the Bing Bang. This is also what drives religions is faith. You say the BB theory has evidence, well so does Christianity, look at all the stories. It's up to you to decide if they are stories or not. 4 people write about Jesus in the new testament that hadn't even met each other before, look how similar their stories are. Things like this lead people to believe in God, and Jesus as a savior.

Both are just faith. But you're just putting your faith it what you think is right.

gotdangit

Oh for f*ck's sake.....

Angry_Beaver

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#156 Angry_Beaver
Member since 2003 • 4884 Posts

[QUOTE="Communist_Soul"]

Pretty much.

Wrong. It is impossible to prove the nonexistence of something that has been proven to exist.

But we disprove the existence of things all the time. Close up a cardboard box and prove that Garfield isn't in it.

tenaka2

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#157 tenaka2
Member since 2004 • 17958 Posts

gotdangit

We know the big bang occurred, it can be verified, the signs of an expanding universe are all around us and well documented.

THe prople is that people find it easier to read one old book then lots of new ones.

worlock77

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#159 worlock77

[QUOTE="001011000101101"][QUOTE="Communist_Soul"]

Angry_Beaver

Pretty much.

Wrong. It is impossible to prove the nonexistence of something that has been proven to exist.

But we disprove the existence of things all the time. Close up a cardboard box and prove that Garfield isn't in it.

That only proves that Garfield isn't in that box. It does not prove that Garfield doesn't exist.

gotdangit

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#160 gotdangit

[QUOTE="gotdangit"]

tenaka2

We know the big bang occurred, it can be verified, the signs of an expanding universe are all around us and well documented.

THe prople is that people find it easier to read one old book then lots of new ones.

The universe expanding doesn't mean that the Bing Bang theory occured.

worlock77

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#161 worlock77

[QUOTE="worlock77"]

[QUOTE="gotdangit"]

meconate

Oh for f*ck's sake.....

Well I'm not entirely sure what the Bing Bang theory is, myself.

To be honest neither am I. I've read quite a lot about a "Big Bang" theory, but this is the first I've ever heard of this "Bing Bang".

Funky_Llama

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

#162 Funky_Llama
Member since 2006 • 18428 Posts
Bing Bang theorygotdangit
Oh god I hope that was a ty-
fml
Angry_Beaver

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#163 Angry_Beaver
Member since 2003 • 4884 Posts

[QUOTE="Angry_Beaver"]

[QUOTE="001011000101101"] Pretty much.worlock77

That only proves that Garfield isn't in that box. It does not prove that Garfield doesn't exist.

Oh, for crap's sake. Isn't my message clear, regardless? The existence of a postulated being can be disproven. Define "God" as "the being that killed you". Now, I want you to prove that that entity doesn't exist (i.e. disprove its existence).

_R34LiTY_

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#164 _R34LiTY_
Member since 2008 • 3331 Posts

Religion in itself is just an interpretation of astro-theology, so like wise we can also assume that the personified verion of "god" is the best way man can explain/describe/interpret the creative force.

gotdangit

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#165 gotdangit

[QUOTE="gotdangit"]Bing Bang theoryFunky_Llama
Oh god I hope that was a ty-
fml

Big Bang. Sorry.

WiiCubeM1

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#166 WiiCubeM1
Member since 2009 • 4735 Posts

[QUOTE="WiiCubeM1"]

[QUOTE="Angry_Beaver"]

So trying to inject religious doctrine into classrooms, courthouses, and women's reproductive rights isn't forcing?

Cutting children's genitalia and burning people accused of witchcraft (which still happens) isn't forcing?

Angry_Beaver

Have you personally dealt with people trying to teach you creation in school, in court, or been denied contraception? Are you even a woman? Unless you deal with people really trying to force religion down your throat you're just taking media problems on as your own.

Ok, ya got me there. I guess non-blacks shouldn't ever have sympathised and worked together with blacks to bring about a more racially equal society.

Ready to go lynching? Grab your white robe! Oh boy! :roll:

I don't think I've ever seen someone before who was so explicitly uncaring. Might as well be a sociopath.

We don't live in a society where you get lynched for having faith (or not having faith as you seem to believe).

You're comparing religion (which I can tell all you're referring to is Christianity, so don't bring up Islam or anything like that) to a period in which a race of people were considered less than human, without equal rights, a period in which people actually died just trying to gain equality. The worst Christianity is doing to our society (by which I mean any industrialized nation) today is forcing women to give up contraception.

If you want to make a difference, don't b*tch on a gaming site, go do something about it. Join the Peace Corp, become someone who fights the difference in equality elsewhere in the world. Sitting behind a screen yelling at me isn't helping anyone. You're not a crusader, you're just another angry voice on the internet.

Guybrush_3

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#167 Guybrush_3
Member since 2008 • 8308 Posts

Big Bang. Sorry.

gotdangit

You're a moron. You don't even know what a scientific theory is.

worlock77

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#168 worlock77

[QUOTE="worlock77"]

[QUOTE="Angry_Beaver"]

Angry_Beaver

Oh, for crap's sake. Isn't my message clear, regardless? The existence of a postulated being can be disproven. Define "God" as "the being that killed you". Now, I want you to prove that that entity doesn't exist (i.e. disprove its existence).

Ummm, what? How on Earth could I prove or disprove that any being killed me when I have not been killed?

kingkong0124

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#169 kingkong0124
Member since 2012 • 8329 Posts

you can't disprove God

this is a very compelling argument i've heard about, goes something like this, interested in hearing your responses:

Matter cannot be created or destroyed, that's a fundamental rule of science. So, when atheists and believers argue, it often comes to the question of, if God created the world, than who created him? Belivers usually say something along the lines of "God was always here". So, if the Big Bang effectively created this universe and the Big Bang was initiated by God, who created God? Well, because the laws of science only apply to this universe (which was created by the Big Bang), and since God created the universe (through the big bang) and is "outside" of the universe, then the laws of science like the law of conservation do not apply to him.

Communist_Soul

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#170 Communist_Soul
Member since 2009 • 3080 Posts

[QUOTE="001011000101101"][QUOTE="Communist_Soul"]

Angry_Beaver

Pretty much.

Wrong we disprove the evidence which suggest it exists. While the idea/concept of God never had any evidence to suggest it exists.

gotdangit

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#171 gotdangit

[QUOTE="gotdangit"]

[QUOTE="Funky_Llama"] fmlGuybrush_3

Big Bang. Sorry.

A scientific theory is a theory made up using science.... Did I get that one right?

theone86

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

#172 theone86
Member since 2003 • 22669 Posts

you can't disprove God

this is a very compelling argument i've heard about, goes something like this, interested in hearing your responses:

Matter cannot be created or destroyed, that's a fundamental rule of science. So, when atheists and believers argue, it often comes to the question of, if God created the world, than who created him? Belivers usually say something along the lines of "God was always here". So, if the Big Bang effectively created this universe and the Big Bang was initiated by God, who created God? Well, because the laws of science only apply to this universe (which was created by the Big Bang), and since God created the universe (through the big bang) and is "outside" of the universe, then the laws of science like the law of conservation do not apply to him.

kingkong0124

Yet one has no reason to think that anything exists outside the universe, your logic is basically "I don't understand it, therefore god," which needless to say is poor logic. Furthermore, this line of thinking presupposes a first cause, for which there is no necessity. When you can prove to me that there must be some cause that caused all other causes then perhaps I will entertain the idea of an omnipotent being existing outside our universe, but until then it is nothing but speculation.

theone86

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#173 theone86

[QUOTE="Guybrush_3"]

[QUOTE="gotdangit"]Big Bang. Sorry.

gotdangit

A scientific theory is a theory made up using science.... Did I get that one right?

No, what you just posted is what we refer to as a tautology.

Guybrush_3

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#174 Guybrush_3

[QUOTE="gotdangit"]

[QUOTE="Guybrush_3"]

theone86

Indeed it is. The laymans definition of a theory (and what you so stupidly think things like evolution and the "bing bang" are) is closer to a hypothesis than a scientific theory. A scientific theory is an overarching explination of a set of facts. It's the highest level of explination that you can reach in science. (you can't jump from theory to law like many people mistakenly believe)

foxhound_fox

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 13

#175 foxhound_fox
Member since 2005 • 98532 Posts
(you can't jump from theory to law like many people mistakenly believe) Guybrush_3
Not only that, but many theories in science contain numerous laws. The "Bing Bang" Theory in fact contains the majority of laws from classical and Einsteinian physics.
gotdangit

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#176 gotdangit

[QUOTE="theone86"]

[QUOTE="gotdangit"]A scientific theory is a theory made up using science.... Did I get that one right?

Guybrush_3

Indeed it is. The laymans definition of a theory (and what you so stupidly think things like evolution and the "bing bang" are) is closer to a hypothesis than a scientific theory. A scientific theory is an overarching explination of a set of facts. It's the highest level of explination that you can reach in science. (you can't jump from theory to law like many people mistakenly believe)

explination? Really this guy must be an idiot.

And even with what you just said. That just proves that the Big Bang THeory and Evolution are more of hypotheses and not even theory, which as you say are closer to fact than a hypothesis.

And Heliocentrism was a theory, and I wouldn't say it's a law, but it turned out to be known as a fact. I'm sure you can still find someone out there that believes the Earth is the center of the universe.

You cannot prove the Big Bang theory as a fact. Just because the universe is expanding, that doesn't mean it's a fact. And even with that, where did those few particles originate from? Where did the first ever thing in the universe come from? Where did God come from. These are questions we will never know.

So you atheists keep believing whatever you want as fact, and everyone else will keep believing what they think is fact. You must have such a great life arguing with everyone about religion and calling them stupid for not believing the same thing as you.

Funky_Llama

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#177 Funky_Llama

[QUOTE="Guybrush_3"]

[QUOTE="theone86"]

gotdangit

And even with what you just said. That just proves that the Big Bang THeory and Evolution are more of hypotheses and not even theory, which as you say are closer to fact than a hypothesis.

And Heliocentrism was a theory, and I wouldn't say it's a law, but it turned out to be known as a fact. I'm sure you can still find someone out there that believes the Earth is the center of the universe.

You cannot prove the Big Bang theory as a fact. Just because the universe is expanding, that doesn't mean it's a fact. And even with that, where did those few particles originate from? Where did the first ever thing in the universe come from? Where did God come from. These are questions we will never know.

So you atheists keep believing whatever you want as fact, and everyone else will keep believing what they think is fact. You must have such a great life arguing with everyone about religion and calling them stupid for not believing the same thing as you.

die
MrPraline

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

#178 MrPraline
Member since 2008 • 21351 Posts

[QUOTE="Guybrush_3"]

[QUOTE="theone86"]

gotdangit

And then there's THIS as$hole.
gotdangit

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#179 gotdangit

[QUOTE="gotdangit"]

[QUOTE="Guybrush_3"]

Funky_Llama

die

Least I'll go to a better place!

HAHAHAH

Funky_Llama

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#180 Funky_Llama

[QUOTE="Funky_Llama"][QUOTE="gotdangit"]

gotdangit

die

HAHAHAH

it is pretty tragic that i'll never be able to say 'i told you so' when you don't :(
gotdangit

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#181 gotdangit

[QUOTE="gotdangit"]

[QUOTE="Funky_Llama"]dieFunky_Llama

HAHAHAH

it is pretty tragic that i'll never be able to say 'i told you so' when you don't :(

Well let's look at it this way. If we die, and there isn't a God. it doesn't matter where we go if there is no Heaven or Hell.

If we die and there is a God. Which there is. I'll be the one living the good (after)life.

I pity you, really I do, for being so close-minded.

Avatar image for deactivated-5b19214ec908b
deactivated-5b19214ec908b

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#182 deactivated-5b19214ec908b
Member since 2007 • 25072 Posts

[QUOTE="Funky_Llama"][QUOTE="gotdangit"] Least I'll go to a better place!

HAHAHAH

gotdangit

Well let's look at it this way. If we die, and there isn't a God. it doesn't matter where we go if there is no Heaven or Hell.

If we die and there is a God. Which there is. I'll be the one living the good (after)life.

What if you believe in the wrong god?

MrPraline

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#183 MrPraline

HAHAHAH

gotdangit

ROFL PASCAL'S WAGER
Funky_Llama

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#184 Funky_Llama

HAHAHAH

gotdangit

>2012
>Pascal's Wager

>mfw

gotdangit

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#185 gotdangit

[QUOTE="gotdangit"]

[QUOTE="Funky_Llama"]it is pretty tragic that i'll never be able to say 'i told you so' when you don't :(toast_burner

Then we can all say "I told you so"

MrPraline

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#186 MrPraline

[QUOTE="gotdangit"]

[QUOTE="Funky_Llama"]it is pretty tragic that i'll never be able to say 'i told you so' when you don't :(toast_burner

Or what if God sees through your little ruse /nick GOD Hey bro, you didn't believe in me from the bottom ofyour heart, but merely as a stepping stone to heaven, have fun shedding ash FOREVER
gotdangit

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#187 gotdangit

[QUOTE="gotdangit"]

[QUOTE="Funky_Llama"]it is pretty tragic that i'll never be able to say 'i told you so' when you don't :(Funky_Llama

>2012
>Pascal's Wager

>mfw

That isn't the reason why I believe in God. But it's there.

theone86

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#188 theone86

[QUOTE="Guybrush_3"]

[QUOTE="theone86"]

gotdangit

WTF are you saying?

A misspelling does not invalidate his argument.

A hypothesis is an educated guess based on simple observation. After the hypothesis is tested in a way that can be universally repoduced, and tested extensively, one is able to reach a connclusion. A theory is composed of MANY hypotheses that have been extensively tested, refined, and proven to be correct, it is the closest thing to fact that exists.

Heliocentrism was a theory because it was based off several hypotheses that were proven to be true. Scientists observed the rotation of celestial bodies and hypothesizedthat the earth rotated around the sun. They then performed mathematic testing and obsrevation and when they had determined that to be the truth based on all present evidence it became theory.

You can prove heliocentrism as a scientific fact. You're simply demanding a level of certainty that we don't know even exists, and then when science inevitably fails to live up to that standard you dismiss it as faith.

Who says there was a fisrt thing ever in the universe? There's no evidence for a first cause.

MrPraline

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#189 MrPraline
>2012 >Pascal's Wager Funky_Llama
i shiggity diggity do
MrPraline

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#190 MrPraline
That isn't the reason why I believe in God. But it's there.gotdangit
It's there. LOL. Your faith is weak and based on fear. God will see through that sh*t, bro. You are just an atheist in his eyes. You don't truly believe, you just want to escape the flames. They will be there and I will roast some spare ribs for you. Beer or 20, it'll be fun.
Guybrush_3

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#191 Guybrush_3

[QUOTE="Guybrush_3"]

[QUOTE="theone86"]

gotdangit

You're a f*cking moron for ignoring facts, not for believing in god. You're a god damn little kid with your fingers in your ears yelling "LA LA LA I CAN'T HEAR YOU" You clearly don't understand the difference between theories, laws, and hypothesises. You don't even understand what the big bang theory encompasses. The big bang theory is the explination of the early evolution of the universe, not the origin of the universe, and it's correct, but you're too f*cking locked in your own little world to notice.

http://xkcd.com/54/

Funky_Llama

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#192 Funky_Llama
explination? Really this guy must be an idiot.gotdangit
HAHAHAHA I missed this - and this from a guy who can't spell 'big'
theone86

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#193 theone86

HAHAHAH

gotdangit

You're the one being close-minded. You're making a poor argument for the existence of an unproven deity, and then saying that it takes faith to NOT believe your argument. We're basing our arguments on proven facts, that does not make us close-minded. Exactly the opposite, the scientific theory accounts for the possibility of new information affecting proven theories. We're always open to new information, but there is no information on god being presented here, only speculation.

BossPerson

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#194 BossPerson
Member since 2011 • 9177 Posts

you can't disprove God

kingkong0124
Even if the laws of science dont apply to god, the laws of logic do. The question then becomes, who created god?
gotdangit

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#195 gotdangit

[QUOTE="gotdangit"]

[QUOTE="Guybrush_3"]

theone86

WTF are you saying?

A misspelling does not invalidate his argument.

A hypothesis is an educated guess based on simple observation. After the hypothesis is tested in a way that can be universally repoduced, and tested extensively, one is able to reach a connclusion. A theory is composed of MANY hypotheses that have been extensively tested, refined, and proven to be correct, it is the closest thing to fact that exists.

Heliocentrism was a theory because it was based off several hypotheses that were proven to be true. Scientists observed the rotation of celestial bodies and hypothesizedthat the earth rotated around the sun. They then performed mathematic testing and obsrevation and when they had determined that to be the truth based on all present evidence it became theory.

You can prove heliocentrism as a scientific fact. You're simply demanding a level of certainty that we don't know even exists, and then when science inevitably fails to live up to that standard you dismiss it as faith.

Who says there was a fisrt thing ever in the universe? There's no evidence for a first cause.

I'm glad you caught that. Because I said Bing Bang theory, a typo a little while ago, and instead of actually listening to my argument. Everyone jumps on that little typo and invalidates my argument. So tell that to them, not me. I was just returning the favor.

There are some things that can't be explained by science. There are some things that can't be explained by religion. And I wasn't doubting heliocentrism. I was saying it started as a theory. And I do call it faith. Because it took faith to even believe that the sun was the center of the universe, it took faith to follow through with all these mathematical equations to figure it out. If you had no faith in the matter, and no one had any faith in the matter, why would it continue? IT wouldn't.

Have faith in your theories and hypotheses, and continue doing what you do, but some of your theories can never be considered fact.

Iridionprime

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#196 Iridionprime
Member since 2011 • 440 Posts

[QUOTE="worlock77"]

[QUOTE="gotdangit"]

meconate

Oh for f*ck's sake.....

Well I'm not entirely sure what the Bing Bang theory is, myself.

Bing Bang? Sounds like some crappy candy from chinatown.

Funky_Llama

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#197 Funky_Llama
Because it took faith to even believe that the sun was the center of the universe, it took faith to follow through with all these mathematical equations to figure it out.gotdangit
HOLY SH*T YOU THINK THAT THE SUN I- someone hold me
Guybrush_3

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#198 Guybrush_3

Because it took faith to even believe that the sun was the center of the universe

gotdangit

No it didn't you moron, it took math. All it took was math to discover that the earth rotated around the sun (not the center of the universe dumbass) No faith required as the evidence was as plain as day (as it is with the big bang theory)

MrPraline

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#199 MrPraline
There are some things that can't be explained by science. gotdangit
True. It would be arrogant to claim we understand everything about the universe as complex as it f*cking is. Who would be so arro-
MrPraline

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#200 MrPraline
[QUOTE="gotdangit"]Because it took faith to even believe that the sun was the center of the universe, it took faith to follow through with all these mathematical equations to figure it out.Funky_Llama
HOLY SH*T YOU THINK THAT THE SUN I- someone hold me

/hug