I can't take this brainwashing cult know as christianity no longer....

This topic is locked from further discussion.

Monk10000

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

User Lists: 0

#1 Monk10000
Member since 2006 • 1258 Posts

So now that i'm living on my own i've been away from my family for awhile and every time I go over to one of their houses they start this whole thing about believeing in God will make my life better. Most of this comes from my mother who knows that my life in the past was bad and until recently it's goten way better even without saying her so called 'prayer'. I haven't believed in this since I was 11 or 12 and she is always saying I need forgiveness if I want my soul saved and i'm all like wut. Now this wouldn't be bad if she didn't start her preaching to me like every time I come to visit and my grandmother who completely hates people who have preferences such as gays. Now I have no problem with Gays and when I mention about how not even half the population in the U.S. believes this stuff or so last time i've checked? She goes all in denial and I say you wouldn't even have fredom if you hadn't used the Native Americans and she says "they died for a purpose" Stuff like this greatly offends me due to being part Cherokee.

My mother agrees with everything this old hag spews out and every single time she asked me questions about my beliefs I answer fully while I ask one simple question or two and I get a answer that trails off the original path. I think we all can agree that without religion this world would be more at peace and such. I have no reason to believe in such things that have no proof that exist other than a book written by human-beings lol. My whole family is all up into this religion bs and there is no way to escape their constant gripes since I was a teen.. So I came to OT to vent and ask for tips about what to say to these christian fanatics who think people of sexual preference , cultures and different race will burn for eternity.

DJ_Novakain

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

#2 DJ_Novakain
Member since 2008 • 2147 Posts
Tell them that Christianity preaches acceptance of others... so they can just shut right the **** up
The_Mac_Daddy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#3 The_Mac_Daddy
Member since 2008 • 2401 Posts

So now that i'm living on my own i've been away from my family for awhile and every time I go over to one of their houses they start this whole thing about believeing in God will make my life better. Most of this comes from my mother who knows that my life in the past was bad and until recently it's goten way better even without saying her so called 'prayer'. I haven't believed in this since I was 11 or 12 and she is always saying I need forgiveness if I want my soul saved and i'm all like wut. Now this wouldn't be bad if she didn't start her preaching to me like every time I come to visit and my grandmother who completely hates people who have preferences such as gays. Now I have no problem with Gays and when I mention about how not even half the population in the U.S. believes this stuff or so last time i've checked? She goes all in denial and I say you wouldn't even have fredom if you hadn't used the Native Americans and she says "they died for a purpose" Stuff like this greatly offends me due to being part Cherokee.

My mother agrees with everything this old hag spews out and every single time she asked me questions about my beliefs I answer fully while I ask one simple question or two and I get a answer that trails off the original path. I think we all can agree that without religion this world would be more at peace and such. I have no reason to believe in such things that have no proof that exist other than a book written by human-beings lol. My whole family is all up into this religion bs and there is no way to escape their constant gripes since I was a teen.. So I came to OT to vent and ask for tips about what to say to these christian fanatics who think people of sexual preference , cultures and different race will burn for eternity.

Monk10000

Umm.. 80% of the U.S. is Christian. But to answer your rant, when I ask for God's help, things turn out good. I don't know if it's confidence, the relaxation of knowing God is with you, or what... but things just seem to go good then. But it's your life, believe what you want. I'm not trying to convert you.

zellus104

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#4 zellus104
Member since 2008 • 57 Posts

I feel ya bro.

Most of my family is like that. My mom always talks about christianity all the time. I hate it whenever something bad goes wrong(say she drops her bible in dirt) and she goes off and curses the devil because she thinks he did it, or whenever somthing good happens it is jesus blessing her. its annoying. I go "mom dont you think maybe some of this stuff just happens?"

Wish I could have a conversation with my mother without having it to do with jesus/bible/god/prayer yadda yadda. *sigh*

most christians I know are friggin hypocrites and are quite the mockery of there so called christianity. I've yet to find a true christian that embodies what the religion is really about, being a true image of christ.

Deity_Slapper

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#5 Deity_Slapper
Member since 2008 • 2615 Posts

most christians I know are friggin hypocrites and are quite the mockery of there so called christianity. I've yet to find a true christian that embodies what the religion is really about, being a true image of christ.

zellus104

Yep, I agree with that.

Any time my family is spewing out their prejudice garbage talking about how a certain group of people is beneath them for whatever reason, I just say, "well, there's that christian tolerance again." :)

They always stand there silent for a minute, and then try to change the subject, like they never said anything. It's so funny. :lol:

Chemistian

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

#6 Chemistian
Member since 2003 • 635 Posts

My only advice would be to keep a balanced and open mind. I find that when it comes to religion, very few people can avoid either blind allegiance or outright hostility, and even fewer realize that they too carry this burden. As an agnostic, I find that neither side is particularly warm to my point of view, but I can almost always drown both atheists and religious zealots with information.

This is not because I am brilliant, or even a brilliant debater. I just like to read and listen to both sides of the argument, something that many people don't want to do in regards to religion. Sometimes you have to listen to what you DON'T want to hear in order to strengthen your knowledge base. And sometimes there is no clear answer.

Avatar image for deactivated-5e97585ea928c
deactivated-5e97585ea928c

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

#7 deactivated-5e97585ea928c
Member since 2006 • 8521 Posts
Frankly as i see it. My life has been complete [censored] so far, and as far as that goes, it's not helping me want to follow anything >.>
fishingalex

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#8 fishingalex
Member since 2004 • 2639 Posts

My brother (age 12) went to a Christian bible camp for a week not knowing anything about religion. He comes back and he tells me I am going to be turned into blood mush and sent to hell in the revolation because I'm a sinner.

Wtf?

-RocBoys9489-

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#9 -RocBoys9489-
Member since 2008 • 6336 Posts

My brother (age 12) went to a Christian bible camp for a week not knowing anything about religion. He comes back and he tells me I am going to be turned into blood mush and sent to hell in the revolation because I'm a sinner.

Wtf?

fishingalex

:lol:

Oscar-Wilde

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#10 Oscar-Wilde
Member since 2007 • 1675 Posts
Like i always say. Don't hate on Jesus, hate his fandom.
soren008

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#11 soren008
Member since 2008 • 2190 Posts

My only advice would be to keep a balanced and open mind. I find that when it comes to religion, very few people can avoid either blind allegiance or outright hostility, and even fewer realize that they too carry this burden. As an agnostic, I find that neither side is particularly warm to my point of view, but I can almost always drown both atheists and religious zealots with information.

Chemistian

Agreed.

I am the wisest man alive, for I know one thing, and that is that I know nothing.
Socrates

Monk10000

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#12 Monk10000

Umm.. 80% of the U.S. is Christian. But to answer your rant, when I ask for God's help, things turn out good. I don't know if it's confidence, the relaxation of knowing God is with you, or what... but things just seem to go good then. But it's your life, believe what you want. I'm not trying to convert you.

Yeah wasn't sure on percentage and I don't mean to offend christians but sometimes they take it to extremes and btw it's confidence trust me. God's not going to help you you've got to help yourself and I had to learn that the hard way...

Deity_Slapper

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#13 Deity_Slapper

Wtf?

fishingalex

That's one of the problems I have with religion. That is a classic case of brainwashing. Your brother won't even think for himself now, now that he's swallowed all of their prejudice and ridiculous fantasy. It's pathetic.

fishingalex

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#14 fishingalex

And now ever since my brother started this whole "religion" thing he has tried to get my whole family to join his church. He begs, whines and even trys guilt tripping us.

I don't think it is a stretch to call Christianty a cult.

Monk10000

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#15 Monk10000

I feel ya bro.

Most of my family is like that. My mom always talks about christianity all the time. I hate it whenever something bad goes wrong(say she drops her bible in dirt) and she goes off and curses the devil because she thinks he did it, or whenever somthing good happens it is jesus blessing her. its annoying. I go "mom dont you think maybe some of this stuff just happens?"

Wish I could have a conversation with my mother without having it to do with jesus/bible/god/prayer yadda yadda. *sigh*

zellus104

I agree with you fully but I don't believe in a God anymore since around pre-teen but if you wish to believe fine because I don't really care or do not want to be considered a hypocrite over it.

Monk10000

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#16 Monk10000

Wtf?

fishingalex

Um...jesus camp??

Deity_Slapper

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#17 Deity_Slapper

And now ever since my brother started this whole "religion" thing he has tried to get my whole family to join his church. He begs, whines and even trys guilt tripping us.

fishingalex

Sounds exactly like what I always talk about. They have stolen his ability to reason. Everything now has a "supernatural" force behind it. He'll always be looking over his shoulder, wondering if he's pleasing this horrible, mean-spirited deity that can't even be proven to exist.

It's theft of a free mind. That's what religion is. Your poor brother is now a slave.The only hope is that you can try to show him where all the flaws in his new found ideas are...make him see the errors...encourage him to think about what he was told, and to possibly reconsider his stance.

laughingman42

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#18 laughingman42
Member since 2007 • 8730 Posts
Fundamentalist Christians give the rest of us Christians a bad rap. It drives me NUTS.
fishingalex

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#19 fishingalex
[QUOTE="fishingalex"]

Wtf?

Monk10000

Um...jesus camp??

I don't know what the hell it was. All I know is they did campy activities with a jesus theme the whole week and went to church everyday. He also got baptized even after my mom wrote a note that said not to baptize him.

He pisses me off now. He is always saying I need to ask God for forgivenes. Then I tell him "Shut the **** up. I'm on the phone with Satan seeing if he'll kill your ass."

He doesn't like that.

laughingman42

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#20 laughingman42
[QUOTE="Monk10000"][QUOTE="fishingalex"]

Wtf?

fishingalex

Um...jesus camp??

I don't know what the hell it was. All I know is they did campy activities with a jesus theme the whole week and went to church everyday. He also got baptized even after my mom wrote a note that said not to baptize him.

He pisses me off now. He is always saying I need to ask God for forgivenes. Then I tell him "Shut the **** up. I'm on the phone with Satan seeing if he'll kill your ass."

He doesn't like that.

LMAO! oh man thats great.

Oscar-Wilde

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#21 Oscar-Wilde

Fundamentalist Christians give the rest of us Christians a bad rap. It drives me NUTS.laughingman42

Pssh why put the blame on the individuals when can go ahead and generalise the whole religion? :P

fishingalex

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#22 fishingalex
[QUOTE="fishingalex"]

Deity_Slapper

Sounds exactly like what I always talk about. They have stolen his ability to reason. Everything now has a "supernatural" force behind it. He'll always be looking over his shoulder, wondering if he's pleasing this horrible, mean-spirited deity that can't even be proven to exist.

It's theft of a free mind. That's what religion is. Your poor brother is now a slave.The only hope is that you can try to show him where all the flaws in his new found ideas are...make him see the errors...encourage him to think about what he was told, and to possibly reconsider his stance.

I've tried to point out flaws in his beliefs but my mom starts yelling at me. She thinks I am an athiest (which I'm not) or something and I am trying to convert him. Since everything I say seems to bounce off him I just started threating him with phyisical pain.

laughingman42

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#23 laughingman42

[QUOTE="laughingman42"]Fundamentalist Christians give the rest of us Christians a bad rap. It drives me NUTS.Oscar-Wilde

Pssh why put the blame on the individuals when can go ahead and generalise the whole religion? :P

They should generalise by denomination! :P I'm a Methodist and the Methodist church has the most laid back doctrine of any church that I know of. Case in point. Read this very carefully and see how this differs from what fundamentalist tell you.

Those who have not accepted Jesus' offer of forgiveness and new life are at risk of living apart from him for all eternity.

I even bolded it for anyone who hasnt caught it.

in short: nothing is certain.

Most methodist that I know (including a minister) think that you just have to have a good heart to go to heaven I'm not sure if I beleive that anyone is going to hell tbh.

Ravirr

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 6

#24 Ravirr
Member since 2004 • 7931 Posts
[QUOTE="Oscar-Wilde"]

[QUOTE="laughingman42"]Fundamentalist Christians give the rest of us Christians a bad rap. It drives me NUTS.laughingman42

They should generalise by denomination! :P I'm a Methodist and the Methodist church has the most laid back doctrine of any church that I know of. Case in point. Read this very carefully and see how this differs from what fundamentalist tell you.

Those who have not accepted Jesus' offer of forgiveness and new life are at risk of living apart from him for all eternity.

Woo Methodist *high five*

Seems like its people from every religion. You could eaisly take out christianity, and put atheists(Though its not a cult you get the point), or mormins etc etc. You are generalizing. but I'm sorry you have a dis taste for a group people. Like with eveyr group there are the good and the bad.

GeneralArrow

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#25 GeneralArrow
Member since 2008 • 297 Posts

Wtf?

fishingalex

Thats just creepy man. Feel sorry for ya.

VacantPsalm

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#26 VacantPsalm
Member since 2008 • 3600 Posts

Monk10000
So, because you have a few squabbles with your family, you want to ban all religion?:? Well, I know someone who was hit and killed by a car. Therefor, I think all of technology should be banned. No, not just cars and any kind of technology that affects me, all technology. No matter how much bad, good, both or neither it's caused, I think we should get rid of it. The world would be a much happier place without it in my completely personal opinion.

[QUOTE="laughingman42"]Fundamentalist Christians give the rest of us Christians a bad rap. It drives me NUTS.Oscar-Wilde

Hell, why stop there. Let's say that ALL religions are bad. That's like after having a bad experience with a dog, I not only go and make the generalization that all dogs are evil, but all animals in general even if they have nothing to do with dogs. : D PS: Sorry, I don't mean to sound snotty. I've herd this so many times though and it's like the biggest generalization by far people make.:P (I think I heard somewhere that 80% of people believe in a higher being. That means when you say things about religion in general you're making a generalization against 80% of people. That certainly takes a crap on people who generalize about women which makes up about 55% of the population.)
fishingalex

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#27 fishingalex
[QUOTE="fishingalex"]

Wtf?

GeneralArrow

Thats just creepy man. Feel sorry for ya.

Yeah, it was pretty creppy but mainly because he said it with such a serious look on his face. I try saying that sentence and I start laughing.

slateman_basic

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#28 slateman_basic
Member since 2002 • 4142 Posts
Last time you checked? What do you do, take a poll of the whole country every other month or something?
Monk10000

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#29 Monk10000
[QUOTE="Monk10000"]

VacantPsalm
So, because you have a few squabbles with your family, you want to ban all religion?:? Well, I know someone who was hit and killed by a car. Therefor, I think all of technology should be banned. No, not just cars and any kind of technology that affects me, all technology. No matter how much bad, good, both or neither it's caused, I think we should get rid of it. The world would be a much happier place without it in my completely personal opinion. [QUOTE="Oscar-Wilde"]

I never said I wanted religion banned just don't act like it's the only way or you'll burn for all eternity and don't push it down your throat or the throats of other people because it will just end with what i've had to deal with my whole life.

fishingalex

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#30 fishingalex
[QUOTE="Monk10000"]

VacantPsalm

So, because you have a few squabbles with your family, you want to ban all religion?:? Well, I know someone who was hit and killed by a car. Therefor, I think all of technology should be banned. No, not just cars and any kind of technology that affects me, all technology. No matter how much bad, good, both or neither it's caused, I think we should get rid of it. The world would be a much happier place without it in my completely personal opinion.

I think more people have died because of religion than technology. When entire villages or races get killed or wars are fought just becuase people have different beliefs, how can you not say religion is dumb?

If there were no religions I think the world would be a more peaceful place. The main reason for war then would be over what doritos are better. Nacho cheese or Cool Ranch?

I also think it's funny that you posted that you think technology should be banned on an internet forum on a gaming web site.

Monk10000

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#31 Monk10000

Last time you checked? What do you do, take a poll of the whole country every other month or something?slateman_basic

Just tried to put it in a way where someone could correct with a answer because I wasn't very sure on the matter...

GrindingAxe

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#32 GrindingAxe
Member since 2008 • 1641 Posts

This is not because I am brilliant, or even a brilliant debater. I just like to read and listen to both sides of the argument, something that many people don't want to do in regards to religion. Sometimes you have to listen to what you DON'T want to hear in order to strengthen your knowledge base. And sometimes there is no clear answer.

Chemistian

Your like a virtual Budda. Your words of wisdom struck a cord in my soul. You're awesome.

Monk10000

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#33 Monk10000
[QUOTE="VacantPsalm"][QUOTE="Monk10000"]

fishingalex

I think more people have died because of religion than technology. When entire villages or races get killed or wars are fought just becuase people have different beliefs, how can you not say religion is dumb?

If there were no religions I think the world would be a more peaceful place. The main reason for war then would be over what doritos are better. Nacho cheese or Cool Ranch?

I also think it's funny that you posted that you think technology should be banned on an internet forum on a gaming web site.

I agree alot of wars were other religion even events such as the Holocaust and 9/11 had religion influences.

Oscar-Wilde

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#34 Oscar-Wilde
[QUOTE="VacantPsalm"][QUOTE="Monk10000"]

fishingalex

Do you really think it was religion? because i'm pretty sure those wars were the product of crazy overly zealot human beings.

stepnkev

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#35 stepnkev
Member since 2005 • 1511 Posts

I think we all can agree that without religion this world would be more at peace and such.

Monk10000

I never agreed with quotes such as this. I have heard this many times on this board and listening to others. This just seems so illogical to me. If there were no religion, wouldn't you think people would find other reasons to kill or do other horrible things? In my opinion, it's not religion, it's the choices people make that is the problem. If religion isn't used as an excuse then something else would be. Just my opinion.

fishingalex

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#36 fishingalex
[QUOTE="fishingalex"][QUOTE="VacantPsalm"][QUOTE="Monk10000"]

Oscar-Wilde

Do you really think it was religion? because i'm pretty sure those wars were the product of crazy overly zealot human beings.

Yeah, who were being influenced by religion. Right?

I wouldn't know for sure becuase I really don't give a **** half the time.

Ravirr

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#37 Ravirr
Member since 2004 • 7931 Posts
[QUOTE="Monk10000"]

I think we all can agree that without religion this world would be more at peace and such.

stepnkev

I never agreed with quotes such as this. I have heard this many times on this board and listening to others. This just seems so illogical to me. If there were no religion, wouldn't you think people would find other reasons to kill or do other horrible things? In my opinion, it's not religion, it's the choices people make that is the problem. If religion isn't used as an excuse then something else would be. Just my opinion.

Most of the religious wars are really just land and greed. One of the users here did the research and it was about 6% of all wars were really about religion.

fishingalex

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#38 fishingalex
[QUOTE="Monk10000"]

stepnkev

I don't think people would be as passionate about killing people as they are in holy wars. Of course there would still be war but in the "average" war people are not usually happy about killing other people. They are doing it because their government is making them.

Oscar-Wilde

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#39 Oscar-Wilde
[QUOTE="Oscar-Wilde"][QUOTE="fishingalex"][QUOTE="VacantPsalm"][QUOTE="Monk10000"]

fishingalex

If they weren't they would be influenced by something else, don't overestimate human beings. a lot of us aren't really the brightest bulbs relatively to other species.

fishingalex

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#40 fishingalex
[QUOTE="fishingalex"][QUOTE="Oscar-Wilde"][QUOTE="fishingalex"][QUOTE="VacantPsalm"][QUOTE="Monk10000"]

Oscar-Wilde

If they weren't they would be influenced by something else, don't overestimate human beings. a lot of us aren't really the brightest bulbs relatively to other species.

Yes, there are a lot of things that prove how stupid we are. Like arguing about religion in a gaming website forum, killing people becuase of different beliefs, killing people because of different views or just plain killing people because their different.

I know this sounds naive but why can't the world just get along? We're all human beings arn't we? People focus on what is different about other people rather than what is the same.

I feel like I've heard that from somewhere.

VacantPsalm

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#41 VacantPsalm
Member since 2008 • 3600 Posts
I never said I wanted religion banned just don't act like it's the only way or you'll burn for all eternity and don't push it down your throat or the throats of other people because it will just end with what i've had to deal with my whole life.Monk10000
Sorry, I read "I think we all can agree that without religion this world would be more at peace and such" and thought you were one of those kinds of people. My bad.:P

fishingalex
Uh, the technology thing was just an example of making a generalization about such a large category. I so wasn't serious about that. I actually want to be a game designer so I have no complaints about technology.:P (Dang, too bad I still don't have the Flash CS3 logo in my avatar. That might of made things a little more obvious.) And I think you're forgetting two little things called money and power. Both of which would still be around if there wasn't any religion. To me it seams like a lot of the time people use religion as the excuse to do things that get them money and/or power. So really those are the root of the problem. I'm not going to flat out argue with you about it though, never really wanted to. (I jut downloaded TF2 and am probably going to run off here pretty quick.) I'll admit that I came on a bit strong in my first post and if you look back you can see I've already edited it backing off a bit.:P But before I run like a coward... er... go play my game. I want to leave you with a little personal opinion of mine. I think that any religion that states that anyone is higher/better then anyone else, rather it be from religious stance or race or gender, that religion has a few problems with it. We're all human, anytime someone forgets that things go wrong. PS: If you're wondering what that has to do with anything, I'm saying it as an alternative to just "religion causes wars." If a religion didn't believe in anyone being better then anyone else, what harm could it cause? Added: vvvvv Oh yea, I forgot about the whole cult thing. That's probably what got me all worked up in the first place.:P (I'm usually not this aggressive, hell I usually avoid these threads like the plague.)

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#42 123625
Member since 2006 • 9035 Posts

I didn't read it all, but can you justify your claim that christianity is a cult? Or are you picking out a particular christian church?

Avatar image for ElectronicMagic
ElectronicMagic

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#43 ElectronicMagic
Member since 2005 • 5412 Posts
I know what you mean, I have had to go through a lot of that in my life. I was a christian up to the age of 10, I tried to believe it, but the more I read, the more I was told by preachers and the more time I spent in the science classroom altered my perceptions quite a bit. Unfortunately there isn't much you can do about people like your mother and grandmother, all you can really do is give your side of the story everything they go spewing their's.
Delongman

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 7

#44 Delongman
Member since 2005 • 1358 Posts

If you're a deist then say yay! Religion in itself is too corrupt for me to step back into church. You remember that historyy lesson when there was Italy monopolizing the role of pope intheir country? Or the time there was so much confusion that we had 3 popes? Or the time the church used to promise that the folks would go to heven if they pay up? Ok that's history and that stuff has been corrected, but the past remains the past.

There are so many religions out there that there can and never was compromise. Everybody claims to be right. And because of that those who are not in the right camp they are condemned eternally... Nah i dnt think God would do that. There are too many extremes in religion that are controversial, dangerous and unfounded or that lack concrete proof (i'm sure you can think up a lot of them but i won't mention any so as not to hurt certain beliefs).

I know good people who don't go to church and hypocrites who just go for the image. People should first open their eyes, assess themselves and see what God really wants. He left us here... gave us freedom, logic and a brain. We made rules, morals and came across religion. People should filter what's good from what's bad. I feel that that's even better than following religion. I'm not an atheist... The only prayer i say is "forgive us our sins" and "thank you for creation"... Damn i have the feeling that i've written anger-spawning stuff but this is what i feel in my heart and what i think God wants.

fishingalex

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#45 fishingalex

I think it's like a cult because of many things.

They try using fear to get you to join their church/religion by saying things like "If you don't repent now your soul will not be saved" or "The Revelation is coming. Ask for God for forgiveness or you will spend eternity in Hell".

Also, Every Christian i've ever met (not a lot) always seems to be trying to convert everyone. It's like "you convert 2 people then they'll convert 2 people and so on".

And just the huge masses of Christians are "cult" like. Have you ever seen one of those church shows on tv? They have stadiums filled with people looking up to the skys and praying while some guy screams verses from the bible. I don't think huge masses qualifies you as a cult though because then the Beatles might be considered a cult.

jasonharris48

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#46 jasonharris48
Member since 2006 • 21441 Posts
Fundamentalist Christians give the rest of us Christians a bad rap. It drives me NUTS.laughingman42
Excetly and it isn't like they practice what they prech in the first place. I'm a Christan but I don't follow everything in the bible yet I do believe in God or some greater force. One thing I really hate is to go around telling people you are a awful person you're a sinner. Because that would make me a hypocrite because I have sinned in my life and not only once.

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#47 123625
Member since 2006 • 9035 Posts

I think it's like a cult because of many things.

They try using fear to get you to join their church/religion by saying things like "If you don't repent now your soul will not be saved" or "The Revelation is coming. Ask for God for forgiveness or you will spend eternity in Hell".

Also, Every Christian i've ever met (not a lot) always seems to be trying to convert everyone. It's like "you convert 2 people then they'll convert 2 people and so on".

And just the huge masses of Christians are "cult" like. Have you ever seen one of those church shows on tv? They have stadiums filled with people looking up to the skys and praying while some guy screams verses from the bible. I don't think huge masses qualifies you as a cult though because then the Beatles might be considered a cult.

fishingalex

Those christians you've met, I would hold them in minority. Those are probably Jehovahs witnesses or Mormons, probably.

But I agree with you on those church shows on the christian channel, their kinda creepy especially when you have muppet rip offs talking about the bible. I would never attend something like that, to preachy for me.

Also I really don't think the religion itself uses fear, it just says, follow Jesus and your saved. Nothing like, do this or go to hell. Though I would be interested in some verses that actually something along those lines if you can find something like that. I would say the church has used fear in the past, but as of now both the religion and the church merely offer salvation and chance to be with God.

fishingalex

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#48 fishingalex

If you're a deist then say yay! Religion in itself is too corrupt for me to step back into church. You remember that historyy lesson when there was Italy monopolizing the role of pope intheir country? Or the time there was so much confusion that we had 3 popes? Or the time the church used to promise that the folks would go to heven if they pay up? Ok that's history and that stuff has been corrected, but the past remains the past.

There are so many religions out there that there can and never was compromise. Everybody claims to be right. And because of that those who are not in the right camp they are condemned eternally... Nah i dnt think God would do that. There are too many extremes in religion that are controversial, dangerous and unfounded or that lack concrete proof (i'm sure you can think up a lot of them but i won't mention any so as not to hurt certain beliefs).

I know good people who don't go to church and hypocrites who just go for the image. People should first open their eyes, assess themselves and see what God really wants. He left us here... gave us freedom, logic and a brain. We made rules, morals and came across religion. People should filter what's good from what's bad. I feel that that's even better than following religion. I'm not an atheist... The only prayer i say is "forgive us our sins" and "thank you for creation"... Damn i have the feeling that i've written anger-spawning stuff but this is what i feel in my heart and what i think God wants.

Delongman

I think that was an A+ post

Since there is no solid evidence that God exists like a sticky note saying "I created you. Love God" religious people tend to say miracles like child birth or a person surviving a plane crash is proof He exists. I think there is more of that "proof" that shows that he doesn't exists or at least doesn't give a crap. Like wouldn't a child being molested and killed or 9/11 prove that?

Then you bring up that point and they say something along the lines of "It was their time. God needed them to do something for Him" Yeah, whatever.

Now I do believe God is real and has something to do with our existense but I just don't buy into the whole religion thing where everyone seems to think they know exactly what God wants.

I think I'd rather spend my life doing whatever I feel like doing without worrying about going to hell than following a set of strict rules my entire life and finding out it meant jack **** when I die.

I don't really care anymore anyways. I'm ***ing tired. You guys can all pray to hotdogs if you want, I don't give a ****.

Funky_Llama

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#49 Funky_Llama
Member since 2006 • 18428 Posts

Delongman

What kind of a deist prays to God? A deist God is aloof; he doesn't intervene. Praying to him is, therefore, pointless.