Gun Control: freedom or security?

This topic is locked from further discussion.

PannicAtack

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

#51 PannicAtack
Member since 2006 • 21040 Posts
I have amazingly contradictory opinions on this. I generally oppose gun control beyond screening to keep crazies and criminals from getting them. But I hate our "gun culture," and I get annoyed at many gun activists.
danwallacefan

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

#52 danwallacefan
Member since 2008 • 2413 Posts

[QUOTE="danwallacefan"]

[QUOTE="Ninja-Bear"]Personally i think it has nothing to do with freedom; and in my honest opinion, i really dont think the age-old excuse of 'i need to have a gun so i can rise up against the government if it one day becomes totalitarian' is just silly and out of touch. Ninja-Bear

which is exactly why almost every most dictators enacted gun control upon coming to power

Just no. There has never been a peaceful, organised government which has one day passed gun-control legislation and then gone on to become an evil totalitarian regime thereafter. A dictator may very well stop people getting guns, but they're dictators in the first place, not afterwards.

And I never said that, I said that Dictators pass gun control for a reason, TO PREVENT THEIR PEOPLE FROM RISING UP!

imaps3fanboy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#53 imaps3fanboy
Member since 2009 • 11169 Posts

[QUOTE="imaps3fanboy"]

if we ban guns then criminals will just buy them illegally, leading to them ONLY them having a gun with no one else to protect themselves.

htekemerald

Some criminals may go to extreme and costly lengths to get a gun.

Most criminals would not be able to afford it.

if they can afford cocaine.. they can afford guns. At least the thrifty ones. It won't be as hard as you think to get a gun illegally.. they would just smuggle it them they do from mexico.
arbitor365

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 9

#54 arbitor365
Member since 2009 • 2726 Posts

[QUOTE="arbitor365"]

[QUOTE="htekemerald"]

I'll take both.

The freedom of going about my life not having to be worried about getting shot.

and the security of not having to worry about being shot.

htekemerald

oh yeah, because the government is going to be able to eliminate and remove all guns from our society and not one will fall into the hands of criminals. we can just make guns disappear! way to be naive.

There are lots of things that we can'y just make dissapear for society, that doesn't mean you should throw your hands up in air and give up.

you know, there are other methods of stopping crime other than taking people's rights away. such as their right to defend themselves and their families. its kinda funny becuase the people who are against weed legalization say the same stuff you do. they ignore the fact that their policies produce mroe crime than they stop. things like gun control look good on paper but they would never work in our society and they will only make things worse.

htekemerald

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

#56 htekemerald
Member since 2004 • 7325 Posts

[QUOTE="htekemerald"]

[QUOTE="arbitor365"]

oh yeah, because the government is going to be able to eliminate and remove all guns from our society and not one will fall into the hands of criminals. we can just make guns disappear! way to be naive.

arbitor365

There are lots of things that we can'y just make dissapear for society, that doesn't mean you should throw your hands up in air and give up.

you know, there are other methods of stopping crime other than taking people's rights away. such as their right to defend themselves and their families. its kinda funny becuase the people who are against weed legalization say the same stuff you do. they ignore the fact that their policies produce mroe crime than they stop. things like gun control look good on paper but they would never work in our society and they will only make things worse.

Living in a society with signifigantly stronger than american gun control I can say that gun control does not make things worse.

Guns harm the people they are used on, pot harms the user. Totally different concepts. One does not choose to get shot (usually), one chooses to take a hit from a joint.

Espada12

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

#57 Espada12
Member since 2008 • 23247 Posts

Your logic appears to be that if someone gets shot, they were inevitably going to be murdered via SOME method therefore guns may as well be legal. That's just ridiculous.

Ninja-Bear

How so? If someone is in a state of mind to murder they are going to do it with or without the availability of a gun.

You dont think a fairly large number of people are killed yearly due to spare-of-the-moment shootings, or criminals USING a gun because they get into a tight spot, where they really had no intention of using it?

Ninja-Bear

Criminals using a gun would have one regardless on gun control. Also it has been proven the majority of gun crime is done with illegal firearms so even if there are a few accidents with people who legally hold firearms they aren't even comparable to the gun crime with illegal firearms.

To act like everyone who murders someone else with a gun planned/wanted to do it and would definitely have done it anyway even if guns were illegal either by obtaining an illegal gun or via some other method is just silly. I imagine the vast majority of murders are not pre-meditated.

Ninja-Bear

I never mentioned that, and as you said the vast majority of murders are not pre-meditated, so regardless of the gun or not the offender in his rage is going to kill the victim.

F1_2004

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#58 F1_2004
Member since 2003 • 8009 Posts

You can't carry a gun outdoor anyway. If a cop sees that, you will be in jail for sure. I pro-freedom, that's the whole point of immigrate to US in the first place. People need to understand US is established with freedom of owning a firearm as the 2nd Admendment. If you want to debate, debate why US founding fathers' believes are flawed by stating their believes properly. Then, you can finally counter their real claim porperly.

magicalclick
oooh big bold lettering! Wasn't the US established on the US Constitution? The 2nd amendment is an amendment to that constitution that happened several years later, probably not even written by the founding fathers.
PannicAtack

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#59 PannicAtack

[QUOTE="magicalclick"]

You can't carry a gun outdoor anyway. If a cop sees that, you will be in jail for sure. I pro-freedom, that's the whole point of immigrate to US in the first place. People need to understand US is established with freedom of owning a firearm as the 2nd Admendment. If you want to debate, debate why US founding fathers' believes are flawed by stating their believes properly. Then, you can finally counter their real claim porperly.

F1_2004

oooh big bold lettering! Wasn't the US established on the US Constitution? The 2nd amendment is an amendment to that constitution that happened several years later, probably not even written by the founding fathers.

No no no no no.

The Bill of Rights was added three years after the Constitution was ratified due to demands from the Anti-Federalists, who actually didn't like the Constitution all that much.

Espada12

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

#60 Espada12
Member since 2008 • 23247 Posts

How many successful western countries with low crime/murder rates allow guns to be carried around freely? Compare to USA... Yeah there are other factors that might influence this, but there's very little to suggest that more guns = more safety.F1_2004

More guns may not = more safety but less guns doesn't = more safety either.

Also the US is another thing by itself, high populated urban poverty areas, drug trade, illegal immigrants and gang banging are the reasons for crime. These are not as huge in other countries simply because they don't have as many people going to them nor do they have to worry about people jumping the border on the levels the US does.

RAGINGxPONY

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#62 RAGINGxPONY
Member since 2009 • 1452 Posts

if we ban guns then criminals will just buy them illegally, leading to them ONLY them having a gun with no one else to protect themselves.

imaps3fanboy

You are right in a sense.

But at the same time allowing people to legally have guns in their houses I think is a bad idea because even though that person that has the gun in his house might not be a criminal what happens if he snaps one day and decides to go home and get his gun and kill someone. Just makes it so much easier for a sitituation like this to happen.

I think allowing every citizen to have such a dangerous weapon like a gun is a stupid idea.

imaps3fanboy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#63 imaps3fanboy
Member since 2009 • 11169 Posts

[QUOTE="imaps3fanboy"]

RAGINGxPONY

But at the same time allowing people to legally have guns in their houses I think is a bad idea because even though that person that has the gun in his house might not be a criminal what happens if he snaps one day and decides to go home and get his gun and kill someone. Just makes it so much easier for a sitituation like this to happen.

I think allowing every citizen to have such a dangerous weapon like a gun is a stupid idea.

that means we would have to ban kitchen knifes, fists, or anything that could kill someone.
PannicAtack

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#64 PannicAtack

[QUOTE="PannicAtack"][QUOTE="F1_2004"] oooh big bold lettering! Wasn't the US established on the US Constitution? The 2nd amendment is an amendment to that constitution that happened several years later, probably not even written by the founding fathers.magicalclick

No no no no no. The Bill of Rights was ratified at the same time as the Constitution. You know why? Because the Anti-Federalists would not have ratified the Constitution if it did not have the Bill of Rights.

LOL yeah, by his why-so-serious logic, might as well claim 1st Admentment: Freedom of speach and religion happened several years later than constitution. :D

Technically, I was wrong. Bill of Rights was ratified three years later. But if you look at the early history of the Constitution, or the early history of the country itself, you'd find that the Founding Fathers weren't the group of like-minded libertarians some that some people seem to think. There were a number of them who didn't want the Constitution in place, because they feared that it would increase the power of the Federal Government too much (remember this was after the failure of the Articles of Confederation, which had the states more or less autonomous). The Federalists wanted a Constitution to solidify the central power of the government, while the Anti-Federalists added the Bill of Rights to ensure that individual rights didn't get trampled on.
htekemerald

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#65 htekemerald

[QUOTE="RAGINGxPONY"]

[QUOTE="imaps3fanboy"]

imaps3fanboy

that means we would have to ban kitchen knifes, fists, or anything that could kill someone.

Kitchen knives have a purpose other than causing bodily harm. That comparison is ludicrous.

PannicAtack

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#66 PannicAtack

[QUOTE="imaps3fanboy"][QUOTE="RAGINGxPONY"]

htekemerald

Kitchen knives have a purpose other than causing bodily harm. That comparison is ludicrous.

Many people own guns because they like collecting them. Or they like to shoot cans in the back yard. Or they like going to gun shows. Or they go hunting on a regular basis.
PannicAtack

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#69 PannicAtack

[QUOTE="PannicAtack"][QUOTE="magicalclick"]

LOL yeah, by his why-so-serious logic, might as well claim 1st Admentment: Freedom of speach and religion happened several years later than constitution. :D

magicalclick

Technically, I was wrong. Bill of Rights was ratified three years later. But if you look at the early history of the Constitution, or the early history of the country itself, you'd find that the Founding Fathers weren't the group of like-minded libertarians some that some people seem to think. There were a number of them who didn't want the Constitution in place, because they feared that it would increase the power of the Federal Government too much (remember this was after the failure of the Articles of Confederation, which had the states more or less autonomous). The Federalists wanted a Constitution to solidify the central power of the government, while the Anti-Federalists added the Bill of Rights to ensure that individual rights didn't get trampled on.

That's good to know. My memory is bad actually, so I don't remember the full details.

I had to double-check the dates in Wikipedia. But yeah, those high school civics classes really aren't all that bad.
htekemerald

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#70 htekemerald

[QUOTE="htekemerald"]

[QUOTE="imaps3fanboy"] that means we would have to ban kitchen knifes, fists, or anything that could kill someone. PannicAtack

Many people own guns because they like collecting them. Or they like to shoot cans in the back yard. Or they like going to gun shows. Or they go hunting on a regular basis.

There is distinction between a hand gun/assault rifle and a low caliber non-automatic hunting rifles, even then I don't usually view sport hunting as valuable to society pass time.

and I don't particularly care about gun 'collectors' anymore than I would about say a snake nut who wants to import some dangerous variety of snake.

Avatar image for deactivated-5a79221380856
deactivated-5a79221380856

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#71 deactivated-5a79221380856
Member since 2007 • 13125 Posts
I feel safer at my house when I have guns. I feel safer in public when no one else has any if that could actually occur. At the same time, I can see how having guns would be an advantage of stopping crime. So, I don't fully support gun rights, but I do see their necessity and I also see that the Second Amendment supports it and until it's revised, I legally support it.
magnax1

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 5

#72 magnax1
Member since 2007 • 4605 Posts

it's Ironic when people say gun control increases security since most every country that has instituted it has had a pretty huge rise in crime.

htekemerald

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#73 htekemerald

it's Ironic when people say gun control increases security since most every country that has instituted it has had a pretty huge rise in crime.

magnax1

Such as?

needled24-7

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#74 needled24-7
Member since 2007 • 15902 Posts

i think guns are cool, let people have them lol. restrictions, obv

magnax1

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#76 magnax1

[QUOTE="magnax1"]

htekemerald

Such as?

I'll find the statistics in a bit, but one example is the gun restrictions in 1996 in Great Britain. Huge rise in crimes since the bill was passed. Mainly gun crimes.

EDIT: Found an article. It says from 97-01 the rate of violent crime doubled.

http://reason.com/archives/2002/11/01/gun-controls-twisted-outcome

There basically is no logical arguement FOR gun control.

heres also one for Australia. And this is only for the 1st year.

http://www.snopes.com/crime/statistics/ausguns.asp

DarkGamer007

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#77 DarkGamer007
Member since 2008 • 6033 Posts

I believe people should have the right to own firearms, but to walk around with them in public is another thing....

danwallacefan

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#78 danwallacefan

[QUOTE="magicalclick"]

F1_2004

ALL the amendments in the bill of rights were ratified by the original framers of the constitution.

danwallacefan

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#79 danwallacefan

[QUOTE="magicalclick"]

[QUOTE="PannicAtack"] No no no no no. The Bill of Rights was ratified at the same time as the Constitution. You know why? Because the Anti-Federalists would not have ratified the Constitution if it did not have the Bill of Rights.PannicAtack

and the core concern was, of course, liberty, which is why they all ratified the bill of rights. They were libertarians, some just more radical than others.

SunofVich

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#80 SunofVich
Member since 2004 • 4665 Posts

I do believe in gun control. Its called using both hands.

Avatar image for RAMRODtheMASTER
RAMRODtheMASTER

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#82 RAMRODtheMASTER
Member since 2009 • 8107 Posts
I like my guns and my ability to by more guns, I'd rather not have that taken away or severely restricted in anyway.
Ninja-Bear

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#83 Ninja-Bear
Member since 2010 • 1028 Posts

[QUOTE="Ninja-Bear"][QUOTE="danwallacefan"] which is exactly why almost every most dictators enacted gun control upon coming to power

danwallacefan

Just no. There has never been a peaceful, organised government which has one day passed gun-control legislation and then gone on to become an evil totalitarian regime thereafter. A dictator may very well stop people getting guns, but they're dictators in the first place, not afterwards.

And I never said that, I said that Dictators pass gun control for a reason, TO PREVENT THEIR PEOPLE FROM RISING UP!

Right. Because a populus which is about to revolt and go to war with their own government would decide to just not do anything if they didn't have a pistol under their bed to take with them.
Avatar image for deactivated-5cf0a2e13dbde
deactivated-5cf0a2e13dbde

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 82

#84 deactivated-5cf0a2e13dbde
Member since 2005 • 12935 Posts
I think there should be a certain level of freedom, but discretion needs to be used. No civilian should be able to buy an AK-47 or a Mac10. They have no practical purpose in a civilian world except to brutally kill other people.
magnax1

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#85 magnax1

[QUOTE="danwallacefan"]

[QUOTE="Ninja-Bear"] Just no. There has never been a peaceful, organised government which has one day passed gun-control legislation and then gone on to become an evil totalitarian regime thereafter. A dictator may very well stop people getting guns, but they're dictators in the first place, not afterwards. Ninja-Bear

Right. Because a populus which is about to revolt and go to war with their own government would decide to just not do anything if they didn't have a pistol under their bed to take with them.

Lol, its not whether they'd still rise up, its that they couldn't do crap when they rose up. You can't win a war without guns. Or even start a war.

Avatar image for deactivated-5cf0a2e13dbde
deactivated-5cf0a2e13dbde

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 82

#87 deactivated-5cf0a2e13dbde
Member since 2005 • 12935 Posts

[QUOTE="Ninja-Bear"][QUOTE="danwallacefan"]

magnax1

Lol, its not whether they'd still rise up, its that they couldn't do crap when they rose up. You can't win a war without guns. Or even start a war.

There have been many silent revolutions that succeeded without guns or weapons........
htekemerald

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#88 htekemerald

[QUOTE="htekemerald"]

[QUOTE="magnax1"]

magnax1

Such as?

I'll find the statistics in a bit, but one example is the gun restrictions in 1996 in Great Britain. Huge rise in crimes since the bill was passed. Mainly gun crimes.

Right wing gun website vs The British Government Go Go Battle Royal

http://www.homeoffice.gov.uk/rds/pdfs2/hosb702.pdf

Waiting for real non-anecdotal data on Australia.

magnax1

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#89 magnax1

[QUOTE="magnax1"]

[QUOTE="htekemerald"] Such as?

htekemerald

Right wing gun website vs The British Government Go Go Battle Royal

http://www.homeoffice.gov.uk/rds/pdfs2/hosb702.pdf

Waiting for real non-anecdotal data on Australia.

Lol, so they just decided the other statistics are bogus? Maybe its because one side is biased? (Maybe the one that made the bill, and wants to keep its jobs?Just a guess?)

And how the hell is the data on Australia anecdotal?

Sajedene

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#90 Sajedene
Member since 2004 • 13718 Posts
I miss the days when you can just duel someone. You both agree to it. Knowing what you're getting yourself into. EL OH EL. I'm going shooting tomorrow. pew pew! Guns for everyone who wants one and who undergoes the proper training and legalities to obtain one!
RAMRODtheMASTER

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#91 RAMRODtheMASTER
Guns for everyone who wants one and who undergoes the proper training and legalities to obtain one!Sajedene
Here in Ohio you just pay for it, fill out and sign a form, and they give it to you. :P
Sajedene

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#92 Sajedene
[QUOTE="Sajedene"]Guns for everyone who wants one and who undergoes the proper training and legalities to obtain one!RAMRODtheMASTER
Here in Ohio you just pay for it, fill out and sign a form, and they give it to you. :P

Well I am glad that it's a little harder here in California to obtain one. Makes me feel like I earned it.
get-some-pie

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#93 get-some-pie
Member since 2008 • 724 Posts

It's not like a criminal is going to go on up and register his gun only before commiting a crime.

RAMRODtheMASTER

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#94 RAMRODtheMASTER
[QUOTE="RAMRODtheMASTER"][QUOTE="Sajedene"]Guns for everyone who wants one and who undergoes the proper training and legalities to obtain one!Sajedene

Well I am glad that it's a little harder here in California to obtain one. Makes me feel like I earned it.

Oh, you guys have some terrible restrictions on what you can buy gun-wise. No offense, but I'm pretty glad I don't live there.
Sajedene

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#95 Sajedene
[QUOTE="RAMRODtheMASTER"][QUOTE="Sajedene"][QUOTE="RAMRODtheMASTER"] Here in Ohio you just pay for it, fill out and sign a form, and they give it to you. :P

Oh, you guys have some terrible restrictions on what you can buy gun-wise. No offense, but I'm pretty glad I don't live there.

I don't find them terrible. I have nothing on my record to make it difficult for me and the wait to get a gun isn't bad.
SunofVich

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#96 SunofVich
Member since 2004 • 4665 Posts

In the area of Oregon that I live in. It is perfectly legal for you to carry a handgun as long as it is in plain sight and holstered to your belt. It is not legal to holster it elsewhere and it is very illegal to conceal it without a permit.

City of Portland, OR. however it is illegal to carry a gun in plain sight but still legal to carry with concealed permit.

hiphopballer

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 6

#97 hiphopballer
Member since 2009 • 4059 Posts

i say security. i dont get how you can have freedom with a gun

RAMRODtheMASTER

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#98 RAMRODtheMASTER
[QUOTE="Sajedene"][QUOTE="RAMRODtheMASTER"][QUOTE="Sajedene"] Well I am glad that it's a little harder here in California to obtain one. Makes me feel like I earned it.

I don't find them terrible. I have nothing on my record to make it difficult for me and the wait to get a gun isn't bad.

Well, what i don't like is that rifles in your state can only have a maximum capacity of ten rounds and cannot have a removable magazine. When I can buy an AK-47 (semi-auto, full auto are expensive and you have to go through the ATF first but they can still be bought) with a few thirty round banana mags and buy a sear kit separately to make it full auto (which isn't entirely legal but can still be done, besides I can rig a semi auto AK to fire full auto with a twisty-tie) and it will all be shipped and I can just go down to my FFL and pick them up with no hassle.
Avatar image for chessmaster1989
chessmaster1989

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 8

#99 chessmaster1989
Member since 2008 • 30203 Posts

I miss the days when you can just duel someone. You both agree to it. Knowing what you're getting yourself into. EL OH EL.

I'm going shooting tomorrow. pew pew!

Guns for everyone who wants one and who undergoes the proper training and legalities to obtain one!Sajedene

lulz :P

Duels were cool as long as they went fine (i.e. Andrew Jackson was badass). Then there's that occassional lame time where someone like Alexander Hamilton gets killed. What a waste... **** you Aaron Burr.

RAMRODtheMASTER

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#100 RAMRODtheMASTER

[QUOTE="Sajedene"]I miss the days when you can just duel someone. You both agree to it. Knowing what you're getting yourself into. EL OH EL.

I'm going shooting tomorrow. pew pew!

Guns for everyone who wants one and who undergoes the proper training and legalities to obtain one!chessmaster1989

lulz :P

Duels were cool as long as they went fine (i.e. Andrew Jackson was badass). Then there's that occassional lame time where someone like Alexander Hamilton gets killed. What a waste... **** you Aaron Burr.

If I remember right, Burr did try to get him back to a town to get medical help, but Hamilton died on the boat ride.