Gun Control: freedom or security?

This topic is locked from further discussion.

danwallacefan

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 0

#201 danwallacefan
Member since 2008 • 2413 Posts

I suppose then we should allow military grad hardware up to having tanks, and large explosives? Both fall under the incredibly vague term "arms".sSubZerOo

Well if such arms are necessary to overthrow the government then I'm all for it. The people have a right to revolution.

Revolutions don't work that way, you have little clue of history.. If the entire population (which would never happen I might add not even the American Revolution was a popular supported war.. Some 1/3 supported it, 1/3 were on the fence and a 1/3 supported Britain) were to uprise it would not need guns.. Tyrannical governments only form and get created through dividing and conqueroring.. They control the military and security, and regardless of how many weapons you have that will not be the deciding point. Furthermore famous revolutions like the French one during the 1790s.. Was brought up by the extremely poor that were more or less unarmed.. A GUN WILL NOT PREVENT A TYRANICAL government that is what I am tryign to point out.. They do not operate or form that way.. sSubZerOo

No, it is not sufficient to prevent it, but it certainly can help prevent it. An armed populace CAN check the power of a tyrannical government.

.. Ehh.. What sporting purposes exactly because they do not use it for hunting

Someone has never heard the term "competition shooting"

[QUOTE="sSubZerOo"].. I don't need to prove anything we already have harsh limits on "arms" which can be applied to every piece of military hardware out there..This is of course opinion, I see little purpose for assault rifles for home defense, sSubZerOo

Assault rifles CAN be used in home defense. In fact, an AR-15 or a mini-14, because the projectile is so light and fast, might fare better than a 9mm pistol or a Shotgun firing buckshot because the bullet has so little momentum.

or any kind of hunting.. sSubZerOo

Actually an SKS or AK-47 is a very potent deer-hunting weapon. Oh, and BTW, AR-15s are very commonly used to hunt varmints and other small game.

But what I will say is this. You can not constantly claim that gun will prevent a tyranical government.. That simply is not true..sSubZerOo

An armed populace CAN keep government power in check.

the founding fathers for instance believed that the militia would be the main military of the United States, well most of them.. I guess they would be completely shocked how our military is today..

sSubZerOo

Sajedene

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

#202 Sajedene
Member since 2004 • 13718 Posts

I really hate that any talk about owning guns always end up with defense talk.

I like owning a gun - it allows me to perform the action which I enjoy (shooting). No fear.

Snipes_2

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

#203 Snipes_2
Member since 2009 • 17126 Posts

A Mandatory IQ and Safety test should be administered before the individual recieves a weapon.

Accidental Firearms - http://www.the-eggman.com/writings/death_stats.html

More people die in automobile accidents than those killed accidentally by guns.

http://www.rense.com/general62/gns.htm

Avatar image for chessmaster1989
chessmaster1989

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 8

#204 chessmaster1989
Member since 2008 • 30203 Posts

I like owning a device that allows me to perform the action which I enjoy.Sajedene

Guns were not the first thing I thought of when I read that... :lol:

Teenaged

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

#205 Teenaged
Member since 2007 • 31764 Posts

"Freedom" is all well and good, but you have to be realistic. I don't care how free a country is, if people walk around with revolvers on their hips, I'm not safe.Bourbons3
The whole "freedom" argument is ridiculous imo.

Anyone can claim that their freedom is being stripped from them for whatever they fancy doing. Not a valid justification; lots of slippery slopes that could branch out from it.

McJugga

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

#206 McJugga
Member since 2007 • 9453 Posts

[QUOTE="Bourbons3"]"Freedom" is all well and good, but you have to be realistic. I don't care how free a country is, if people walk around with revolvers on their hips, I'm not safe.Teenaged

The whole "freedom" argument is ridiculous imo.

Anyone can claim that their freedom is being stripped from them for whatever they fancy doing. Not a valid justification; lots of slippery slopes that could branch out from it.

Let me carry around my portable nuke launcher! You can't take away my FREEDOM!
Sajedene

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#207 Sajedene
Member since 2004 • 13718 Posts

[QUOTE="Sajedene"]I like owning a device that allows me to perform the action which I enjoy.chessmaster1989

Guns were not the first thing I thought of when I read that... :lol:

:O GROSS! I didn't even think of that! Geez now I gotta edit it or something :lol: wow. LOL.
luamhtrad

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#208 luamhtrad
Member since 2003 • 1997 Posts

If anything, we need less government in our lives. I actually went to a gun show this weekend. Picked up some cool new things that I enjoy very much. I find Charlton Heston's views on gun control to be the most in line with my own.

iowastate

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 35

#209 iowastate
Member since 2004 • 7922 Posts

[QUOTE="Mitjastiskovski"]

The problem with your theory is that you think a normal US civilian can fight just as good as terrorist in Iraq. First off normal people would not have the balls to go up to a tank to try and destroy it. danwallacefan

*facepalm*

That's because these "normal people" of whom you speak aren't in a situation where they are ruled by a tyrannical government or their country is occupied by a foreign invader.

Unlike terrorist psychos who fight and don't care if they die or not is a complete different enemy to face than normal civilian. 99.9% of normal people would be to scared to do anything if something like that really did happen. People in Iraq & Afghanistan are practically born fighters they been raised up in a war environment and are used to all the **** that comes with fighting. You can't expect a normal US citizen who worked in a bank for most of his life to fight in a war without any kind of training.

Mitjastiskovski

That's probably one of the most racist things I've ever read.

OH for crying out loud.....racist my *** that is just a fact of life in those nations. If there had been foreign invaders fighting in the streets of your country and an armed militia trying to force you to either join them or die in the streets for a couple of generations you would have learned to fight instead of laying around watching TV and playing video games in your spare time. That is what the Afghan and Iraqis have had to do. Your facepalm is aimed right back at your self for getting things wrong. I have HAD to use my weapon IN the DAMN United States of America IN my own home against a home invasion. by another American...NOT someone who was an immigrant by the way.(and before anyone asks he was whiter than me) and I had to hire a carpet cleaning company for my living room rug afterwards:wink: but the sheriff did take care of the rest and gave me back my weapon with congratulations:D I am thankful that this is out of the ordinary in our nation because I know that in some parts of the world it is an everyday occurrence. but we do have to be vigilant .....
iowastate

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 35

#212 iowastate
Member since 2004 • 7922 Posts
[QUOTE="dlindenb2000"]I like the way Canada does it. You need a licence to own a gun, to fire one, or to purchase ammo. To get a licence you have to take a fireams course. A gun is as least as dangerous as a car is, so you should take the same precautions before you give one of either to anyone. Also like the fact that self-defence is not a valid reason to own a gun here. Only hunting and sporting are. So shotguns and rifles it is. Nobody in their right mind needs a handgun or an assault weapon other then police and military. You don't hunt pheasant with an Ak-74.

in the case of defending your self a hand gun is a vastly preferable weapon to a long gun such as the rifle or shot gun. for hunting you need a long gun for defending yourself you need a hand gun. two different weapons for two different uses. and hand guns are fun for practicing - - also you use small arms for sports.