Gun Control: freedom or security?

This topic is locked from further discussion.

htekemerald

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

User Lists: 0

#101 htekemerald
Member since 2004 • 7325 Posts

[QUOTE="htekemerald"]

[QUOTE="magnax1"]

I'll find the statistics in a bit, but one example is the gun restrictions in 1996 in Great Britain. Huge rise in crimes since the bill was passed. Mainly gun crimes.

EDIT: Found an article. It says from 97-01 the rate of violent crime doubled.

http://reason.com/archives/2002/11/01/gun-controls-twisted-outcome

There basically is no logical arguement FOR gun control.

heres also one for Australia. And this is only for the 1st year.

http://www.snopes.com/crime/statistics/ausguns.asp

magnax1

Right wing gun website vs The British Government Go Go Battle Royal

http://www.homeoffice.gov.uk/rds/pdfs2/hosb702.pdf

Waiting for real non-anecdotal data on Australia.

Lol, so they just decided the other statistics are bogus? Maybe its because one side is biased? (Maybe the one that made the bill, and wants to keep its jobs?Just a guess?)

And how the hell is the data on Australia anecdotal?

Oh the other sides stats are good, they just choose (intentionaly) to neglect to take into account changes in the law and data collection to make their point of view look right. Quite dishonest.

And your snopes blog post is quite funny... Eveidently taking away a few guns from a country that had next to no guns to begin with has drastically increased the crime rate. Better yet their logic take another hit when they start extrapolating data based on a less than 1 year period.

Avatar image for Mitjastiskovski
Mitjastiskovski

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

#102 Mitjastiskovski
Member since 2004 • 327 Posts

I don't know exactly what you guys are talking about, since I live in Europe but I would prefer to live in a society where normal citizens don't have guns. Why does everybody in the US need a gun for? Is there a war going on in the US that I am not aware of lol??? Surely crime can't be that bad.....

I honestly don't get the obsession with guns in the US, no other western developed nation is so obsest with guns. Guns are dangerous and they only give psychos a way of killing people. Every year there are many school shootings in the US, I wonder why... A kid gets a bad grade, goes home and takes dad's gun and goes on a shooting spree. And you people think everyone owning a gun means safer society???

I would feel less safe knowing everyone around me has a lethal weapon in their pocket. Glad I live in society where almost nobody has a gun.

Avatar image for RAMRODtheMASTER
RAMRODtheMASTER

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

#103 RAMRODtheMASTER
Member since 2009 • 8107 Posts

I don't know exactly what you guys are talking about, since I live in Europe but I would prefer to live in a society where normal citizens don't have guns. Why does everybody in the US need a gun for? Is there a war going on in the US that I am not aware of lol??? Surely crime can't be that bad.....

I honestly don't get the obsession with guns in the US, no other western developed nation is so obsest with guns. Guns are dangerous and they only give psychos a way of killing people. Every year there are many school shootings in the US, I wonder why... A kid gets a bad grade, goes home and takes dad's gun and goes on a shooting spree. And you people think everyone owning a gun means safer society???

I would feel less safe knowing everyone around me has a lethal weapon in their pocket. Glad I live in society where almost nobody has a gun.

Mitjastiskovski
Here in the US a kid doing something like that is incredibly rare, in fact I don't even remember ever hearing a story about a kid getting bad grades so he went on a shooting spree. With school shootings, like Columbine and Virginia Tech shootings, the perpetrators were extremely mentally disturbed to begin with. Also, guns are an incredibly fun hobby. Going to the range (or your backyard if you live in a rural area like I do) with your buddies and just shooting can be very fun. Just because you own a gun doesn't mean you own it to kill people or cause harm.
leviathan91

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#104 leviathan91
Member since 2007 • 7763 Posts

Governments love gun control. Especially the totalitarian states. Gives them control over the people.

Mitjastiskovski

The reason why guns are so important is because our government actually trusts us to own guns. The original idea of owning a firearm was to keep the government in check but it can also reduce crime, though there is no denial there will be accidents. But then again, accidents occur everyday from everyday things.

I'm surprised you feel safe in Europe, despite the lack of guns. Aren't you worried about the ever-growing Islamic extremist groups in your continent, yet alone the lack of government action, growing unemployment, and crime rate?

ZombiefiedZomB

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#105 ZombiefiedZomB
Member since 2010 • 1746 Posts
I find it is our right to own a gun, if we ban guns we would go down the drain as a nation.
leviathan91

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#106 leviathan91
Member since 2007 • 7763 Posts

i say security. i dont get how you can have freedom with a gun

hiphopballer

"They who can give up essential liberty to obtain a little temporary safety deserve neither liberty nor safety."

~Ben Franklin

Also, it's human instinct to defend themselves and be self reliant. Get rid of that, you get a nanny state that may not always be so reliable, yet alone, fair.

FFCYAN

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

#107 FFCYAN
Member since 2005 • 4969 Posts

I don't know exactly what you guys are talking about, since I live in Europe but I would prefer to live in a society where normal citizens don't have guns.Mitjastiskovski

You're just jealous of our guns and our hot chicks with guns.:P

Mitjastiskovski

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#108 Mitjastiskovski

Governments love gun control. Especially the totalitarian states. Gives them control over the people.

[QUOTE="Mitjastiskovski"]

leviathan91

The reason why guns are so important is because our government actually trusts us to own guns. The original idea of owning a firearm was to keep the government in check but it can also reduce crime, though there is no denial there will be accidents. But then again, accidents occur everyday from everyday things.

I'm surprised you feel safe in Europe, despite the lack of guns. Aren't you worried about the ever-growing Islamic extremist groups in your continent, yet alone the lack of government action, growing unemployment, and crime rate?

I feel totally save in Europe. I been to almost every country in europe and nothing bad has ever happened to me. Only thing that has ever happen in my 20 years is that one time someone broke into my house and stole a couple of things and that's it. I also don't know where you get the islamic extremist groups threat from, there's almost none of them here or around europe. Growing unemployment is going up, all around the world even in the US and from my experience and my friends there's hardly any crime rate. There are hardly any gun crimes here in the UK and no school shootings, something that sadly happens every year in the US.

RAMRODtheMASTER

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#109 RAMRODtheMASTER

[QUOTE="leviathan91"]

Mitjastiskovski

I feel totally save in Europe. I been to almost every country in europe and nothing bad has ever happened to me. Only thing that has ever happen in my 20 years is that one time someone broke into my house and stole a couple of things and that's it. I also don't know where you get the islamic extremist groups threat from, there's almost none of them here or around europe. Growing unemployment is going up, all around the world even in the US and from my experience and my friends there's hardly any crime rate. There are hardly any gun crimes here in the UK and no school shootings, something that sadly happens every year in the US.

Do you have a source that proves it happens every year? Because living in the US, I'm fairly certain it doesn't and I would most likely know because stuff like that makes national news every time.
Mitjastiskovski

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#110 Mitjastiskovski

RAMRODtheMASTER

Here in the US a kid doing something like that is incredibly rare, in fact I don't even remember ever hearing a story about a kid getting bad grades so he went on a shooting spree. With school shootings, like Columbine and Virginia Tech shootings, the perpetrators were extremely mentally disturbed to begin with. Also, guns are an incredibly fun hobby. Going to the range (or your backyard if you live in a rural area like I do) with your buddies and just shooting can be very fun. Just because you own a gun doesn't mean you own it to kill people or cause harm.

Dude the bad grades was something I made up. The point I was trying to make, since most people have guns in the US, people who have mental problems can get a hold of a gun and can easily start a shooting spree. Here in europe even a person who is mentally disturbed, the worse case scenario that can happen is that he might stab someone with a knife. In the US a person can get a gun and can start popping people like sitting ducks, especially in a crowded area. Not to mention some people might also have assault rifles which is even worse. Here in europe there's hardly any school shooting and the reason why that is, is because it's hard to get a gun. I honestly can't remember when was the last time there was a school shooting in the UK.

An argument that might get out of control between two people in europe may lead to a fist fight. The same argument that gets out of control in the US might lead to a shoot out. People who get very angry and in the heat of the moment can't control them self can do a lot more damage in the US than in Europe IMO.

mastershakez

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#111 mastershakez
Member since 2007 • 3260 Posts

If every citizen carried a gun with them crime would probably be almost zero.mfp16

I can't believe that someone would think this. Go to a gang controlled city for a day, carry around a gun and see if you feel safe.

Mitjastiskovski

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#112 Mitjastiskovski

[QUOTE="leviathan91"]

RAMRODtheMASTER

Do you have a source that proves it happens every year? Because living in the US, I'm fairly certain it doesn't and I would most likely know because stuff like that makes national news every time.

No I don't have any sources but I am pretty sure something like that happens every year since we also hear it on the news. I am also pretty sure school shootings in US is more common than in Europe

xionvalkyrie

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#113 xionvalkyrie
Member since 2008 • 3444 Posts

[QUOTE="RAMRODtheMASTER"][QUOTE="Mitjastiskovski"]

Mitjastiskovski

No I don't have any sources but I am pretty sure something like that happens every year since we also hear it on the news. I am also pretty sure school shootings in US is more common than in Europe

UK doesn't have shootings, but its knife crimes are just as high. Knives stabs are just as lethal as guns.

Gun control really is just an illusion. Criminals will be able to get guns regardless of whether or not its illegal to have them.

RAMRODtheMASTER

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#114 RAMRODtheMASTER

[QUOTE="RAMRODtheMASTER"][QUOTE="Mitjastiskovski"]

Mitjastiskovski

Dude the bad grades was something I made up. The point I was trying to make, since most people have guns in the US, people who have mental problems can get a hold of a gun and can easily start a shooting spree. Here in europe even a person who is mentally disturbed, the worse case scenario that can happen is that he might stab someone with a knife. In the US a person can get a gun and can start popping people like sitting ducks, especially in a crowded area. Not to mention some people might also have assault rifles which is even worse. Here in europe there's hardly any school shooting and the reason why that is, is because it's hard to get a gun. I honestly can't remember when was the last time there was a school shooting in the UK.

An argument that might get out of control between two people in europe may lead to a fist fight. The same argument that gets out of control in the US might lead to a shoot out. People who get very angry and in the heat of the moment can't control them self can do a lot more damage in the US than in Europe IMO.

Even though there are many restrictions on who can buy guns here, there is always a way to get a gun, no matter where you live. Guns are smuggled into the US over the Mexican border everyday by criminals as well as smuggled into Mexico by American criminals. The fact is if someone truly wants a firearm, they do not even need to go through the proper channels to get one, no matter where they live. Even if guns are illegal where you live, someone will be selling them in a back alley somewhere and someone will be buying those guns. There is a saying, "When guns are outlawed, only outlaws will have guns." That saying applies to anywhere.
RAMRODtheMASTER

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#116 RAMRODtheMASTER

magicalclick

Your perception doesn't mean a thing. But since you are asking why, read begining ofAmerican history in details about why it is estabilished as 2nd most important rights of a citizen (1st is freedom of speech of course). You can disagree or ignore their reasoning of couse, but, the fact remains that it is 2nd most imporant right of being a US citizen. And obviously people want gun control should move to your country and people want more freedom should move to US. Simple as that.

*bro fist* Magicalclick, you rule.
Mitjastiskovski

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#117 Mitjastiskovski

magicalclick

Your perception doesn't mean a thing. But since you are asking why, read begining ofAmerican history in details about why it is estabilished as 2nd most important rights of a citizen (1st is freedom of speech of course). You can disagree or ignore their reasoning of couse, but, the fact remains that it is 2nd most imporant right of being a US citizen. And obviously people want gun control should move to your country and people want more freedom should move to US. Simple as that.

Wow so now you are saying there's more freedom in the US than in Europe? You guys haven't even got free healthcare, the number 1 basic human right any person should have.....

It's also somewhat sad that going by important things, guns is a higher priority than healthcare....

Anyway I am out of here, this is gonna start a 200+ page flame war now.

Avatar image for deactivated-57e5de5e137a4
deactivated-57e5de5e137a4

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#119 deactivated-57e5de5e137a4
Member since 2004 • 12929 Posts
Some of them. I don't think it's unreasonable to not allow prior felons to buy a gun.
RAMRODtheMASTER

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#120 RAMRODtheMASTER

[QUOTE="magicalclick"]

Mitjastiskovski

Wow so now you are saying there's more freedom in the US than in Europe? You guys haven't even got free healthcare, the number 1 basic human right any person should have.....

It's also somewhat sad that going by important things, guns is a higher priority than healthcare....

Anyway I am out of here, this is gonna start a 200+ page flame war now.

How is free healthcare a freedom?
XBebop

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#121 XBebop
Member since 2003 • 1414 Posts

We have the right to bear arms for one real reason: to protect us from our own government.

While it's highly ulikely that the US govnerment will turn tyranical anytime soon, the threat of a coup de'tat, revolution, or Palpatine-esque power grab is always possible. If something like this ever happens, it would be nice if the people could defend themselves from said tyranny. If only the government had guns, controlling the people would be insanely easy. However, since there are more guns than people in America, the government will always be afraid of the people--and that's how it should be. A government that no longer fears its people will become tyrannical(sooner or later).

Before there are any "conspiracy theory" rebuttles, just go read a history book. Conspiracies have been a part of politics since the dawn of civilization, and they will continue to be.

r4v3gl0ry

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 50

#123 r4v3gl0ry
Member since 2006 • 1285 Posts

I'll be forty and at some business meeting. I walk in and we all have to prove to one another that our glocks are holstered. Later on in the day I'll be having my boxed lunch at the park when two guns go off somewhere behind me. Turns out some guy had an accident. I'll see mothers walking around with their baby strollers...and a six shooter dangling from her hip.

Is it really such a safe idea?

MrLions

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 6

#124 MrLions
Member since 2007 • 9833 Posts
We need guns so we can over throw our government again :P That's why it was put in the constitution in the first place silly gooses!
htekemerald

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#125 htekemerald

We have the right to bear arms for one real reason: to protect us from our own government.

While it's highly ulikely that the US govnerment will turn tyranical anytime soon, the threat of a coup de'tat, revolution, or Palpatine-esque power grab is always possible. If something like this ever happens, it would be nice if the people could defend themselves from said tyranny. If only the government had guns, controlling the people would be insanely easy. However, since there are more guns than people in America, the government will always be afraid of the people--and that's how it should be. A government that no longer fears its people will become tyrannical(sooner or later).

Before there are any "conspiracy theory" rebuttles, just go read a history book. Conspiracies have been a part of politics since the dawn of civilization, and they will continue to be.

XBebop

I'm sure you and your hand guns will make the american miliary quiver in their boots.

RAMRODtheMASTER

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#126 RAMRODtheMASTER

[QUOTE="XBebop"]

htekemerald

I'm sure you and your hand guns will make the american miliary quiver in their boots.

Did he say he only owned handguns? Perhaps he is like me and has an assault rifle like my SKS or a marksman's rifle like my Mosin Nagant. Those aren't simple handguns, they will **** a person up with a single round at range. Besides a soldier is trained to take every threat seriously, even if they were only handguns pointed at you, you definitely wouldn't be standing there cracking jokes about handguns making you quiver in your boots. Many effective explosives can also be manufactured at home from common things. The proper people can make one hell of an uprising, only a ludicrously ignorant government does not fear it's people.
Bourbons3

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 5

#127 Bourbons3
Member since 2003 • 24238 Posts

[QUOTE="Espada12"]

[QUOTE="Bourbons3"]"Freedom" is all well and good, but you have to be realistic. I don't care how free a country is, if people walk around with revolvers on their hips, I'm not safe.arbitor365

If someone was going to commit crime with a firearm, they would get one gun control or not...

and all us lawabiding citizens would be

A) totally helpless to an attack

B) seen by criminals as being easy targets

C) unsafe in our own homes

d) all of the above

anyway liberals I have a question for you. what if a 250 pound ex convict broke into my house with a knife. what do you expect me to do in that situation if I have no gun

A) call the police so they can get there in 15 minutes (if im lucky)

B) get in a hand to hand, knife fight with him

C) set up home alone traps

D) get stabbed in the face and have my wife and daughter raped

I understand the need for a gun in the home. But walking around with one while shopping at the supermarket is not ok.
htekemerald

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#129 htekemerald

[QUOTE="htekemerald"]

[QUOTE="XBebop"]

RAMRODtheMASTER

Did he say he only owned handguns? Perhaps he is like me and has an assault rifle like my SKS or a marksman's rifle like my Mosin Nagant. Those aren't simple handguns, they will **** a person up with a single round at range. Besides a soldier is trained to take every threat seriously, even if they were only handguns pointed at you, you definitely wouldn't be standing there cracking jokes about handguns making you quiver in your boots. Many effective explosives can also be manufactured at home from common things. The proper people can make one hell of an uprising, only a ludicrously ignorant government does not fear it's people.

If the government is tyrannical and has the military in its pocket it will just roll over you with a mechanised army. There would be none of this "mind civilian casualties" business like in the americans war in the middle east.

There are intelligent ways to stop the government from becoming tyrannical, owning a gun is not one of them.

th3warr1or

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 8

#130 th3warr1or
Member since 2007 • 20637 Posts

[QUOTE="Engrish_Major"][QUOTE="mfp16"]If every citizen carried a gun with them crime would probably be almost zero.Espada12

Gun accidents would more than make up for the crime reduction.

I rather accident rate goes up and the crime rate goes down.

I agree.
danwallacefan

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#131 danwallacefan
Member since 2008 • 2413 Posts

[QUOTE="danwallacefan"]

[QUOTE="Ninja-Bear"] Just no. There has never been a peaceful, organised government which has one day passed gun-control legislation and then gone on to become an evil totalitarian regime thereafter. A dictator may very well stop people getting guns, but they're dictators in the first place, not afterwards. Ninja-Bear

And I never said that, I said that Dictators pass gun control for a reason, TO PREVENT THEIR PEOPLE FROM RISING UP!

Right. Because a populus which is about to revolt and go to war with their own government would decide to just not do anything if they didn't have a pistol under their bed to take with them.

but it WOULD make it significantly more difficult if they had to rely on foreign smugglers to arm themselves.

danwallacefan

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#132 danwallacefan

[QUOTE="magnax1"]

[QUOTE="htekemerald"] Such as?

htekemerald

I'll find the statistics in a bit, but one example is the gun restrictions in 1996 in Great Britain. Huge rise in crimes since the bill was passed. Mainly gun crimes.

EDIT: Found an article. It says from 97-01 the rate of violent crime doubled.

http://reason.com/archives/2002/11/01/gun-controls-twisted-outcome

There basically is no logical arguement FOR gun control.

heres also one for Australia. And this is only for the 1st year.

http://www.snopes.com/crime/statistics/ausguns.asp

Right wing gun website vs The British Government Go Go Battle Royal

http://www.homeoffice.gov.uk/rds/pdfs2/hosb702.pdf

Waiting for real non-anecdotal data on Australia.

reason magazine isn't some "right wing gun website"

danwallacefan

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#133 danwallacefan

[QUOTE="RAMRODtheMASTER"][QUOTE="htekemerald"]

htekemerald

If the government is tyrannical and has the military in its pocket it will just roll over you with a mechanised army. There would be none of this "mind civilian casualties" business like in the americans war in the middle east.

There are intelligent ways to stop the government from becoming tyrannical, owning a gun is not one of them.

I'm sure that's exactly what Chang Kai Shek had in mind when he tried to defeat Mao Tse Tung, whose army mainly consisted of militiamen while Chang and his nationalists had a mechanized army.

-Sun_Tzu-

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#134 -Sun_Tzu-
Member since 2007 • 17384 Posts
I support the general concept of regulating firearms. No rights are absolute, nor should they be absolute.
Bourbons3

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 5

#135 Bourbons3
Member since 2003 • 24238 Posts
[QUOTE="Bourbons3"] I understand the need for a gun in the home. But walking around with one while shopping at the supermarket is not ok.magicalclick
I agree, but where is this "walking around with one while shopping "? I live in California and I know that's NOT LEGAL. Maybe in UK is legal?

No, its not legal over here. But there have been stories of people going in to Starbucks with guns clearly on their hips just because they can. Edit: Here's the Starbucks story. http://bit.ly/9UQFFN
superclocked

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#136 superclocked
Member since 2009 • 5864 Posts
[QUOTE="magicalclick"][QUOTE="Bourbons3"] I understand the need for a gun in the home. But walking around with one while shopping at the supermarket is not ok.Bourbons3
I agree, but where is this "walking around with one while shopping "? I live in California and I know that's NOT LEGAL. Maybe in UK is legal?

No, its not legal over here. But there have been stories of people going in to Starbucks with guns clearly on their hips just because they can. Edit: Here's the Starbucks story. http://bit.ly/9UQFFN

I'm not sure about other states, but it is legal to carry a gun here. If you have a permit, which is VERY easy to get, you can conceal it anywhere that you like. If not, you can wear it on your hip, in the front of your pants, anywhere that it is visible...
T_P_O

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#137 T_P_O
Member since 2008 • 5388 Posts
I'm surprised you feel safe in Europe, despite the lack of guns. Aren't you worried about the ever-growing Islamic extremist groups in your continent, yet alone the lack of government action, growing unemployment, and crime rate?leviathan91
Yeah, I know my elitist democracy won't allow their representation anyway, plus we're not that paranoid, thx.
Vandalvideo

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 16

#138 Vandalvideo
Member since 2003 • 39655 Posts
Depends what you mean by "gun". If you mean handguns and rifles; then no, that would be unconstitutional. If you mean shotguns and assault riffles; lets do eet!
xhellcatx

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#139 xhellcatx
Member since 2006 • 9015 Posts

XBebop
I sorta tapped on that with my response. Thanks for restating it tho, but people pro gun control will just look at us like we are paranoid freaks... though history clearly states that a government, that is ran by people, is never perfect. Power = greed = control = more greed = more control = less freedom = government taking over the citizens instead of citizens owning/controlling the government.
danwallacefan

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#140 danwallacefan

I support the general concept of regulating firearms. No rights are absolute, nor should they be absolute.-Sun_Tzu-
Why not?

Wings_008

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 173

#141 Wings_008
Member since 2008 • 3813 Posts
they should be a bit more strict about gun control but should still not violate the constitution, but i wouldn't know am not American
Vandalvideo

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 16

#142 Vandalvideo
Member since 2003 • 39655 Posts

[QUOTE="-Sun_Tzu-"]I support the general concept of regulating firearms. No rights are absolute, nor should they be absolute.danwallacefan

Why not?

You run into problems when you have absolute rights. Many rights, if taken absolutely, would conflict with each other. If we have the right to privacy as an absolute right and the right to property as an absolute right; and a private act causes the harsh impact on the property of another; what right or who prevails?
Pessu

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

#143 Pessu
Member since 2007 • 944 Posts
Firearms should be banned from all but authority and hunters. Civilians should not be trusted with firearms when most of them cant even use them properly. I'd rather be robbed by a dude with a blade than a dude with a gun. Take a look at south-korea and japan. See their gun related incidents and crimes? Pretty much a 0.
-Sun_Tzu-

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#144 -Sun_Tzu-
Member since 2007 • 17384 Posts

[QUOTE="-Sun_Tzu-"]I support the general concept of regulating firearms. No rights are absolute, nor should they be absolute.danwallacefan

Why not?

Because absolutism creates a lot of moral dilemmas, because it divorces things like rights and moral actions from their proper context, and what you end up with is a very rigid, fundamentalist, almost dogmatic ideology. You can say that some people should have the right to own some sort of firearm, and it's very easy to offer an adequate justification for that claim. But to say that all people have the right to own any sort of firearm in all cases is a very different story, because there are people out there who really shouldn't be able to posses certain types of firearms at any given time, and there are people who really shouldn't be able to posses firearms, period.
EMOEVOLUTION

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#145 EMOEVOLUTION
Member since 2008 • 8998 Posts
owning guns doesn't represent freedom. a strange delusion many people seem to have.
Avatar image for -TheSecondSign-
-TheSecondSign-

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 7

#146 -TheSecondSign-
Member since 2007 • 9301 Posts

Gun control is bad. If I want a gun I'll own one, not that I want a personal firearm, my job pretty much has me around them all the time, and they're more of a loud annoyance than they are fun. They can be a blast but at the same time a pain in the ass. When I'm finished with my military service, I'll most likely not handle them at all.

weezyfb

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#147 weezyfb
Member since 2009 • 14703 Posts
yes i do support gun control...in certain states it is way to easy to get a gun...some don't do checks or for i.d
htekemerald

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#148 htekemerald

[QUOTE="htekemerald"]

[QUOTE="RAMRODtheMASTER"] Did he say he only owned handguns? Perhaps he is like me and has an assault rifle like my SKS or a marksman's rifle like my Mosin Nagant. Those aren't simple handguns, they will **** a person up with a single round at range. Besides a soldier is trained to take every threat seriously, even if they were only handguns pointed at you, you definitely wouldn't be standing there cracking jokes about handguns making you quiver in your boots. Many effective explosives can also be manufactured at home from common things. The proper people can make one hell of an uprising, only a ludicrously ignorant government does not fear it's people.danwallacefan

I'm sure that's exactly what Chang Kai Shek had in mind when he tried to defeat Mao Tse Tung, whose army mainly consisted of militiamen while Chang and his nationalists had a mechanized army.

Because the devastated China after world war 2 (with an incredibly poorly equipped "army") and modern america are comparable.

/sarcasm

Diablo-B

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 6

#149 Diablo-B
Member since 2009 • 4063 Posts
I have no issue with people owning guns. However gun control is important. Everyone has to have a license to get a car and then must get their car registered. Cars are great tools that we all need but they can be very dangerous in the wrong hands and can be used to commit crimes. Licensing and registration don't eliminate the problem but it makes it better.

The fact is that at least 95% of gun related crimes committed in the US are committed with unregistered of stolen guns. If you don't believe that number google it. Get ILLEGAL guns off the street and the place will be safer.
tofu-lion91

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#150 tofu-lion91
Member since 2008 • 13496 Posts
I don't trust most people with a stapler, let alone a firearm.Engrish_Major
This. Add to that 'uneducated people with firearms' o_O Places like Switzerland have a mainly conscripted army of citizens which means the majority of citizens in Switzerland are TRAINED to use firearms.