For all you people who believe in god?

This topic is locked from further discussion.

smarb001

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 7

User Lists: 0

#451 smarb001
Member since 2005 • 2325 Posts
[QUOTE="smarb001"][QUOTE="fanofazrienoch"][QUOTE="BobSacamento"]

I think there's proof enough that he existed

Pretty sure of it

He just didn't create the reality you know and love - or somebody he knows

He was just a crazy person

Lots of people kill themselves for crazy reasons

see: suicide bomber

fanofazrienoch

okay. so how about the empty tomb? whats your take on that?

Could've been anything. Graverobbers, fanatics who wanted to touch the "Son of God" one last time, just about anyone could've just walked in and taken the body... but of course the believers find the empty tomb and automatically assume he rose from the dead. And about Jesus appearing to them... dreams, perhaps? Makes a lot more sense than a dead person simply standing up and walking off in any case.

alright. great. you've accepted that the tomb of Jesus was empty.

so how about the Post resurrection appearences to the twelve, James, Paul, and the 500 bretheren? do you contest those?

thats what I meant by "jesus appearing to them", sorry if it wasnt clear. And like I said earlier, I doubt that half the stuff in the bible actually happened, and the other 50% is likely very biased towards Christianity (obviously)

EDIT: Oh and I didn't "accept" that the tomb was empty. I just listed possible explanations to the possibility that his tomb was empty. See the difference?

DivergeUnify

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

#452 DivergeUnify
Member since 2007 • 15150 Posts

guys whatever i'm not trying to be hitler here you can believe what you want

thats the diffence between an athiest and a religious person

go ahead and do what you want it doesn't affect me

i just want people to be more open minded - and i hope that people will evolve to the point where we no longer need religion as a reason to treat each other well - cuz then all the bad things religion brings (war, killing, segregation) will go away too

BobSacamento
war, killing and segregation will always exist :|
fanofazrienoch

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#453 fanofazrienoch
Member since 2008 • 1573 Posts
[QUOTE="fanofazrienoch"][QUOTE="smarb001"][QUOTE="fanofazrienoch"][QUOTE="BobSacamento"]

Pretty sure of it

smarb001

Could've been anything. Graverobbers, fanatics who wanted to touch the "Son of God" one last time, just about anyone could've just walked in and taken the body... but of course the believers find the empty tomb and automatically assume he rose from the dead. And about Jesus appearing to them... dreams, perhaps? Makes a lot more sense than a dead person simply standing up and walking off in any case.

so how about the Post resurrection appearences to the twelve, James, Paul, and the 500 bretheren? do you contest those?

thats what I meant by "jesus appearing to them", sorry if it wasnt clear. And like I said earlier, I doubt that half the stuff in the bible actually happened, and the other 50% is likely very biased towards Christianity (obviously)

these were not dreams.

when was the last time you had a dream that lasted for 40 days?

also, the physical appearences of Jesus to these people is clearly evident from Paul's use of the greek word "soma" or "body" in english. This can only mean a physical body, not a spiritual one. also, Jesus goes to great lengths in all the Gospels to show that he was physically resurrected

lastly you said that you doubt that half the stuff in the bible happened. might I ask, how exactly did you arrive at this conclusion that the New Testament is a wholly unreliable account?

LJS9502_basic

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#454 LJS9502_basic
Member since 2003 • 178883 Posts

I thought it was pretty funny :P
DivergeUnify

What I find funny is when somone bashes beleifs....it's because they are insecure in their own.;)

BobSacamento

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#455 BobSacamento
Member since 2003 • 4340 Posts

[QUOTE="DivergeUnify"] I thought it was pretty funny :P
LJS9502_basic

What I find funny is when somone bashes beleifs....it's because they are insecure in their own.;)

i have no belief

other than we don't know anything

smarb001

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#456 smarb001
[QUOTE="BobSacamento"]

guys whatever i'm not trying to be hitler here you can believe what you want

thats the diffence between an athiest and a religious person

go ahead and do what you want it doesn't affect me

i just want people to be more open minded - and i hope that people will evolve to the point where we no longer need religion as a reason to treat each other well - cuz then all the bad things religion brings (war, killing, segregation) will go away too

DivergeUnify

war, killing and segregation will always exist :|

didn't know you can see into the future :) Thats based on the assumption that humanity will always stay as ****ed up as it is now, and that even in a million years we humans will never be able to fully work together, which I think is wrong. If we want to survive the next millenium, all that will have to be behind us. Nuclear weapons are no joke.

BobSacamento

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#457 BobSacamento

least i believe something that i have come to logically by myself

not living someone elses belief

LJS9502_basic

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#458 LJS9502_basic
Member since 2003 • 178883 Posts

i have no belief

BobSacamento

You have beliefs.....you're pushing them in this thread.

BobSacamento

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#459 BobSacamento

i suppose one could say that

im not saying believe what i do im just desperately trying to disprove conventional religion lol

long as you don't come after me one night with a pitchfork, then we're all cool on my end

smarb001

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#460 smarb001
[QUOTE="smarb001"][QUOTE="fanofazrienoch"][QUOTE="smarb001"][QUOTE="fanofazrienoch"][QUOTE="BobSacamento"]

Pretty sure of it

fanofazrienoch

these were not dreams.

also, the physical appearences of Jesus to these people is clearly evident from Paul's use of the greek word "soma" or "body" in english. This can only mean a physical body, not a spiritual one. also, Jesus goes to great lengths in all the Gospels to show that he was physically resurrected

lastly you said that you doubt that half the stuff in the bible happened. might I ask, how exactly did you arrive at this conclusion that the New Testament is a wholly unreliable account?

*sigh* Do I have to exlain it again? The bible is about as reliable as a historical account as a propoganda booklet written by Hitler's supporters. Plus its freaking 2000 years old, and millions of people could've messed with the text by now, exaggerating some parts while cutting out others. Wait, why am I on the defensive? YOU give ME reasons why the bible is reliable!:P

smarb001

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#461 smarb001
[QUOTE="smarb001"][QUOTE="fanofazrienoch"][QUOTE="smarb001"][QUOTE="fanofazrienoch"][QUOTE="BobSacamento"]

Pretty sure of it

fanofazrienoch

these were not dreams.

*sigh* Do I have to explain it again? The bible is about as reliable as a historical account as a propoganda booklet written by Hitler's supporters. Plus its freaking 2000 years old, and millions of people could've messed with the text by now, exaggerating some parts while cutting out others. Wait, why am I on the defensive? YOU give ME reasons why the bible is reliable!:P Quite honestly, I would only trust that Jesus came back from the dead if there were multiple accounts, eye-witnesses, and non-biased third-party onlookers that happened to see something. With me, its pretty much, "If it doesn't stand up in court, its not reliable."

fanofazrienoch

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#462 fanofazrienoch

i suppose one could say that

im not saying believe what i do im just desperately trying to disprove conventional religion lol

long as you don't come after me one night with a pitchfork, then we're all cool on my end

BobSacamento
i was hoping you weren't actually trying because your attempts at logically decontstructing theistic arguments is wholly pathetic.
Avatar image for brightshadow525
brightshadow525

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 15

#463 brightshadow525
Member since 2006 • 1149 Posts

least i believe something that i have come to logically by myself

not living someone elses belief

BobSacamento

Wrong. I have been introduced to this belief and I have made them clear to myself. I believe in them from my own reasoning.

BobSacamento

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#464 BobSacamento

Guys i haven't become an athiest based on one fact or because someone told me to

i became this way through a lifetime of questioning and observation

almost drove me crazy, i did become quite depressed at one point in my life

fanofazrienoch

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#465 fanofazrienoch

*sigh* Do I have to explain it again? The bible is about as reliable as a historical account as a propoganda booklet written by Hitler's supporters. Plus its freaking 2000 years old, and millions of people could've messed with the text by now, exaggerating some parts while cutting out others. Wait, why am I on the defensive? YOU give ME reasons why the bible is reliable!:P

smarb001

your argument is nothing more than appeal to motives. that's a fallacy.

second, the reason the bible is reliable is because there are multiple authors, 4 of whom were eye-witnesses, and 2 of whom had an eye-witness as their source.

lastly, you went on a brief tangeant about the supposed textual unreliability of the New Testament, saying that it could have been FUBARed in the process of copying and translation.

The problem with this is that the Oldest Manuscripts of the New Testament are 100 years younger than the originals. in terms of textual reliability, this is more reliable than any work of antiquity.

BobSacamento

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#466 BobSacamento

i don't think me and my friend here are trying to "change" you per say

nobody can just hear one line and then flick the switch

it's a lifetime journey

if god helps you get through life then thats just fine

this is how i get through life

i guess in the end it wont matter for either of us will it?

im all for heaven - it would be great, it just doesn't make "sense" to people like me

just how i operate

peace out gents

smarb001

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#467 smarb001
[QUOTE="smarb001"]

*sigh* Do I have to explain it again? The bible is about as reliable as a historical account as a propoganda booklet written by Hitler's supporters. Plus its freaking 2000 years old, and millions of people could've messed with the text by now, exaggerating some parts while cutting out others. Wait, why am I on the defensive? YOU give ME reasons why the bible is reliable!:P

fanofazrienoch

second, the reason the bible is reliable is because there are multiple authors, 4 of whom were eye-witnesses, and 2 of whom had an eye-witness as their source.

lastly, you went on a brief tangeant about the supposed textual unreliability of the New Testament, saying that it could have been FUBARed in the process of copying and translation.

The problem with this is that the Oldest Manuscripts of the New Testament are 100 years younger than the originals. in terms of textual reliability, this is more reliable than any work of antiquity.

read my updated post. And, quite honestly, this is all BS. How in the hell do you know any of this happened? Nobody ever rose from the dead, thats impossible. Sorry, thats cheating, but this arguement was becoming close to assuming the Christ actually rose the dead, which I in no way believe and imo is a complete fairy tale. Your can't argue that there were "eye-witnesses" when talking about fairy tales. And thats all the bible is, a book of stories not meant to be taken literally and made to teach the basic principles of Jesus' message. There, you got all ****ed off, I've gotten nowhere, and I look like an idiot. The prophecy has come true!

smarb001

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#468 smarb001
[QUOTE="smarb001"]

fanofazrienoch

read my updated post. And, quite honestly, this is all BS. How in the hell do you know any of this happened? Nobody ever rose from the dead, thats impossible. Sorry, thats cheating, but this arguement was becoming close to assuming the Christ actually rose the dead, which I in no way believe and imo is a complete fairy tale. Your can't argue that there were "eye-witnesses" when talking about fairy tales. And thats all the bible is, a book of stories not meant to be taken literally and made to teach the basic principles of Jesus' message. There, you got me all ****ed off, I've gotten nowhere, and I look like an idiot. The prophecy has come true!

And it doesnt help that it's 3:40 in the morning where I am :(

BobSacamento

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#469 BobSacamento

please 001

let them live their life

smarb001

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#470 smarb001

please 001

let them live their life

BobSacamento

what life? :lol:

airg6

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

#471 airg6
Member since 2006 • 4390 Posts
[QUOTE="BobSacamento"]

please 001

let them live their life

smarb001

The life that well be living with God while youre in your shallow grave rotting for eternity.
BobSacamento

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#472 BobSacamento
YA CANT CHANGE THE WORLD

JUST GIVE UP
BobSacamento

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#473 BobSacamento
[QUOTE="smarb001"][QUOTE="BobSacamento"]

please 001

let them live their life

airg6

The life that well be living with God while youre in your shallow grave rotting for eternity.

what do you think happens to a gorilla or tiger when it dies?

we're just more intelligent animals surely you can see that

DivergeUnify

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#474 DivergeUnify
[QUOTE="LJS9502_basic"]

BobSacamento

i have no belief

I think you're trying to be too philosophical and purposly rebellious in order to call yourself a non conforming thinker- that's my belief

LJS9502_basic

are you calling me insecure? I mean, I believe I've been defending Christianity this whole time, despite being more or less an athiest
Avatar image for rinkegekido2110
rinkegekido2110

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#475 rinkegekido2110
Member since 2004 • 617 Posts
[QUOTE="BobSacamento"]

people like me don't need hope

what are you hoping for? why can't you be happy now and just die happy?

you just need to think on this, i personally wouldn't want to live on forever

even if there is a heaven, i know for SURE that it's not a physical place like here with an all you can eat buffet - and if you believe that then you're the pinnacle of human stupidity

so whats there to look forward to, even a spiritual heaven is still death

brightshadow525

Umm... Ok.... If you just assume that heaven and hell exist, what then? You lived and died happy but what next? Suffer eternally? Doesn't sound like a good plan to me...

Why should anyone make that assumption? If I look around and see no rocks coming at me, why should I act like they are?

qwertyoip

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

#476 qwertyoip
Member since 2007 • 1681 Posts

Why?

Promising paradise and immortality for all those who follow him and threatening damnation and eternal hellfire to those who don't?

What type of savior threatens death, destruction, pain, suffering to those who do not follow him?

I am not an atheist... more of an agnostic... I believe there could be some type of creator or higher power... but I do not follow a religion... but those of you who follow Jesus? Why?

You say that we shouldn't follow evolution because there is no proof... when there is proof... the oil we burn the fossils that fill our museums? If that isn't proof enough for you... then why do you follow something you can't even see or feel?

Right after you tell me to not follow evolution... you turn around and tell me to believe in someone I have never met who died for "my" sins and to follow a several thousand year old book that says I will suffer for all of eternity unless I embrace it...?

What about other religions? Buddhist, Jews, Hindus, Muslims... they have followed their religions for thousands of years? You are telling me that they are wrong and will suffer because of it?

You people who preach your religions sound more like fanatics than faithful. You tell us we will suffer unless we embrace your lord.

All I ask is why?

Squeets

'cuz he was nice enough not to crush us with his finger after creating us, all WE have to do is be good, then he will give us paradise.

that simple.

darkmoney52

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#477 darkmoney52
Member since 2004 • 4332 Posts
[QUOTE="smarb001"]

fanofazrienoch

Actually the leading members of the church decided what gospels should or should not go into the bible by vote. So it was certainly FUBARd to an extent.

BobSacamento

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#478 BobSacamento

can one of you on the side of religion here answer this i havent received any feedback

BobSacamento

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#479 BobSacamento

can one of you on the side of religion here answer this i havent received any feedback

brightshadow525

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#480 brightshadow525

Why should anyone make that assumption? If I look around and see no rocks coming at me, why should I act like they are?

rinkegekido2110

We're not talking about rocks! We're talking about eternity!

brightshadow525

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#481 brightshadow525

[QUOTE="DivergeUnify]

are you calling me insecure? I mean, I believe I've been defending Christianity this whole time, despite being more or less an athiest

I think he was calling the person who bashed Christianity insecure...

brightshadow525

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#482 brightshadow525

DivergeUnify

smarb001

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#483 smarb001
[QUOTE="smarb001"][QUOTE="BobSacamento"]

please 001

let them live their life

airg6

I can't be rotting in my grave if you're in heaven, if I'm rotting in my grave you'll be there right along with me. Heaven and the athiest belief of simply dying are imcompatible, they can't both be true. Oh and heaven doesnt exist btw, what a stupid idea. :roll:

smarb001

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#484 smarb001
[QUOTE="Squeets"]

Why?

Promising paradise and immortality for all those who follow him and threatening damnation and eternal hellfire to those who don't?

What type of savior threatens death, destruction, pain, suffering to those who do not follow him?

I am not an atheist... more of an agnostic... I believe there could be some type of creator or higher power... but I do not follow a religion... but those of you who follow Jesus? Why?

You say that we shouldn't follow evolution because there is no proof... when there is proof... the oil we burn the fossils that fill our museums? If that isn't proof enough for you... then why do you follow something you can't even see or feel?

Right after you tell me to not follow evolution... you turn around and tell me to believe in someone I have never met who died for "my" sins and to follow a several thousand year old book that says I will suffer for all of eternity unless I embrace it...?

What about other religions? Buddhist, Jews, Hindus, Muslims... they have followed their religions for thousands of years? You are telling me that they are wrong and will suffer because of it?

You people who preach your religions sound more like fanatics than faithful. You tell us we will suffer unless we embrace your lord.

All I ask is why?

qwertyoip

'cuz he was nice enough not to crush us with his finger after creating us, all WE have to do is be good, then he will give us paradise.

that simple.

but how do you know he created us? Because your mommy told you so? Or the frikin bible says it (skim through the last 10 pages to see what I think about it)

BobSacamento

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#485 BobSacamento

heaven contradicts the idea of death itself

this is simply a testdrive i guess

even so man most religious people believe that heaven is just a final resting place for your "spirit" or "soul"

i think these people here believe it's another physical world like earth with videogames and casual sex

AND WILL SOMEONE PLEASE ANSWER MY GORILLA/LION QUESTION?

BobSacamento

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#486 BobSacamento

heaven contradicts the idea of death itself

this is simply a testdrive i guess

even so man most religious people believe that heaven is just a feeling, or final resting place for your "spirit" or "soul"

i think these people here believe it's another physical world like earth with videogames and casual sex

AND WILL SOMEONE PLEASE ANSWER MY GORILLA/LION QUESTION?

brightshadow525

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#487 brightshadow525

I can't be rotting in my grave if you're in heaven, if I'm rotting in my grave you'll be there right along with me. Heaven and the athiest belief of simply dying are imcompatible, they can't both be true. Oh and heaven doesnt exist btw, what a stupid idea. :roll:

smarb001

Oh and the idea that there is no Heaven or hell is a stupid idea to me. Your opinion doesn't make something exist or not exist.

DivergeUnify

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#488 DivergeUnify

[QUOTE="DivergeUnify"]

brightshadow525

better hope so :P
BobSacamento

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#489 BobSacamento
[QUOTE="smarb001"]

brightshadow525

Oh and the idea that there is no Heaven or hell is a stupid idea to me. Your opinion doesn't make something exist or not exist.

but the bibles opinion does?

he's shown you just as much proof and logic as the bible has

can't you see that religion was just created to keep people from anarchy

without religion theres no way we would have come this far

airg6

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

#490 airg6
Member since 2006 • 4390 Posts
[QUOTE="brightshadow525"][QUOTE="smarb001"]

BobSacamento

but the bibles opinion does?

he's shown you just as much proof and logic as the bible has

can't you see that religion was just created to keep people from anarchy

without religion theres no way we would have come this far

Then why do you feel the need to ridicule religion if its brought us so far.
elmo90

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#491 elmo90
Member since 2005 • 4673 Posts

Whoa, since when has God threatened anyone? You spout all this nonsense about hell and damnation and how horrible God must be yet it isn't God's doing, it's your own. You chose to die by rejecting God (life). Since God's the giver of life, who are you to say you somehow deserve eternal life while rejecting Him?

This thread was started on purely illogical nonsense.

BobSacamento

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#492 BobSacamento

cause we've evolved and people are more civilized now and we no longer need it

any day now we'll find another lifeform on another planet and that will hopefully disprove everything

but then it wont will it

BobSacamento

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#493 BobSacamento

it's doing more harm than good now

i think you'll find that the majority of religious folk are those in 3rd world countries who are living a crap life and need an imaginary friend to turn to

just use your brain man stop asking me and figure it out yourself

i dont want you to believe me either cuz then your just doing the same thing - believing what someone else tells you

your still young im sure, i have no idea how old you are

just don't be afraid

elmo90

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#494 elmo90

BobSacamento
Apparently you've never been to Africa.
BobSacamento

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#495 BobSacamento

true say,

i did mention that in my second post

but if they keep putting their problems on god and not doing things themselves they're gonna be in the mud for a long time to come

darkmoney52

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#496 darkmoney52
Member since 2004 • 4332 Posts
[QUOTE="BobSacamento"]

elmo90

Apparently you've never been to Africa.

Islam is taking a pretty nasty toll on Africa right now.

Avatar image for rinkegekido2110
rinkegekido2110

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#497 rinkegekido2110
Member since 2004 • 617 Posts
[QUOTE="rinkegekido2110"]

brightshadow525

It's the same principle. There is no evidence of X existing, why should I assume it does?

CuDDKiDD

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#498 CuDDKiDD
Member since 2004 • 4727 Posts
I don't think any religion was meant to be practiced out of fear. It's supposed to be followed out love. Those who preach nothing but hell and damnation are completely ignorant of what each of the major religions is trying to say.
gameguy6700

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#499 gameguy6700
Member since 2004 • 12197 Posts

Whoa, since when has God threatened anyone? You spout all this nonsense about hell and damnation and how horrible God must be yet it isn't God's doing, it's your own. You chose to die by rejecting God (life). Since God's the giver of life, who are you to say you somehow deserve eternal life while rejecting Him?

This thread was started on purely illogical nonsense.

elmo90

You just admitted that God is threatening you. If you don't believe in him he tortures you forever. Sounds like a threat to me.

Besides, if God exists there's no such thing as free will, at least not if God is telling the truth when he says he's omniscient. To have perfect knowledge of the future requires determinism, and determinism and free will are mutually exclusive of each other. So point being God creates people knowing full well that they'll be unable to avoid going to hell. And even if you want to argue that we have free will the fact still remains that God sets people up to fail. A person born and raised in India or Iran is a lot less likely to ever become a Christian than a person born in America or the UK.

elmo90

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#500 elmo90
[QUOTE="brightshadow525"][QUOTE="rinkegekido2110"]

rinkegekido2110

It's the same principle. There is no evidence of X existing, why should I assume it does?

Try looking at it this way:

You look around and see no chicken. There is no evidence. However, there is an egg.

And where do eggs come from?

In order for there to be a creation, there must be a creator.