Do you think humans will ever visit a planet outside of our solar system?

This topic is locked from further discussion.

Ace6301

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 0

#251 Ace6301
Member since 2005 • 21389 Posts
But lightspeed is painfully slow for traveling.GOGOGOGURT
Well that's tough sh*t because we'll probably never even go that fast.
coolbeans90

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

#252 coolbeans90
Member since 2009 • 21305 Posts

[QUOTE="GOGOGOGURT"]But lightspeed is painfully slow for traveling.Ace6301

Which is why, in all likelihood, we're never visiting a planet on another solar system.

Ace6301

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#253 Ace6301

[QUOTE="Ace6301"][QUOTE="GOGOGOGURT"]But lightspeed is painfully slow for traveling.coolbeans90

Which is why, in all likelihood, we're never visiting a planet on another solar system.

I think we'll figure out how to do it eventually. It just won't be fast or an overly enjoyable time for those on board.
Primordialous

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

#254 Primordialous
Member since 2012 • 1313 Posts

I leave for a day and this happens...

LJS9502_basic

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#255 LJS9502_basic
Member since 2003 • 178883 Posts

[QUOTE="dave123321"]Why did this then into a stupid religion debate?wis3boi

because some fools feel the need to parade around their elementary-level world view

And if anyone knows elementary level world view it's this dude.....
kuraimen

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#256 kuraimen
Member since 2010 • 28078 Posts
I wouldn't hold my breath. I think the human race is too dumb to not destroy this planet before we can get out of it but I'll love to be proven wrong.
chaplainDMK

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#257 chaplainDMK
Member since 2008 • 7004 Posts
[QUOTE="wis3boi"]

[QUOTE="dave123321"]Why did this then into a stupid religion debate?LJS9502_basic

because some fools feel the need to parade around their elementary-level world view

You're reading a 2000 year old book and arguing with people over what fairy tales mean. Imagine if science worked on this principle, 20 guys would be arguing in a bar over unicorns and calling it science.
LJS9502_basic

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#258 LJS9502_basic
Member since 2003 • 178883 Posts
[QUOTE="LJS9502_basic"][QUOTE="wis3boi"]

chaplainDMK

You're reading a 2000 year old book and arguing with people over what fairy tales mean. Imagine if science worked on this principle, 20 guys would be arguing in a bar over unicorns and calling it science.

No one is equating religion with science. Nonetheless other ancient figures, books, stories are given credence. Which is hypocritical.
chaplainDMK

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#259 chaplainDMK
Member since 2008 • 7004 Posts
[QUOTE="LJS9502_basic"][QUOTE="chaplainDMK"][QUOTE="LJS9502_basic"] And if anyone knows elementary level world view it's this dude.....

No one is equating religion with science. Nonetheless other ancient figures, books, stories are given credence. Which is hypocritical.

Such as?
tocool340

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 6

#260 tocool340
Member since 2004 • 21653 Posts

Goddamn, the stupid in this thread is painful.

worlock77
And I thought my ideas I posted some pages ago we're painful for some of you to read. But geez, the arguments going on now is far worse...
gamerguru100

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#261 gamerguru100
Member since 2009 • 12718 Posts

Goddamn, the stupid in this thread is painful.

worlock77
Indeed. Everything turns into a useless debate about religion. I seriously think there should be separate forums for religion and politics.
GOGOGOGURT

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#262 GOGOGOGURT
Member since 2010 • 4470 Posts

[QUOTE="GOGOGOGURT"]But lightspeed is painfully slow for traveling.Ace6301

It's impossible for an object to go the speed of light as long as it has mass.  The force needed to accelerate the mass even FASTER becomes exponential, and an object can get very close (i.e 99.9999%) but will not reach the speed of light.

However, you can beat light by shortening the distance.  This is a wormhole, the most effective way of travel for a human, minus all the problems with it.

Ace6301

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#263 Ace6301

[QUOTE="Ace6301"][QUOTE="GOGOGOGURT"]But lightspeed is painfully slow for traveling.GOGOGOGURT

It's impossible for an object to go the speed of light as long as it has mass.  The force needed to accelerate the mass even FASTER becomes exponential, and an object can get very close (i.e 99.9999%) but will not reach the speed of light.

However, you can beat light by shortening the distance.  This is a wormhole, the most effective way of travel for a human, minus all the problems with it.

The most effective way of travel for humans except that it's purely conjecture.
GOGOGOGURT

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#264 GOGOGOGURT

[QUOTE="GOGOGOGURT"]

[QUOTE="Ace6301"] Well that's tough sh*t because we'll probably never even go that fast.Ace6301

True.  For wormholes to exist, there must be black holes, but even those are theory and have never been detected or seen.

Our best bet now is either a mass manipulation device (yes, like in mass effect, but not so effective, and yes it is possible) Or a ship that would support a colony of humans for at least 200 years.  It would be a one-way trip.

dave123321

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#265 dave123321
Member since 2003 • 35553 Posts
[QUOTE="wis3boi"]

[QUOTE="dave123321"]Why did this then into a stupid religion debate?LJS9502_basic

otherDave would probably agree.
GOGOGOGURT

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#266 GOGOGOGURT

[QUOTE="wis3boi"]

HAHA zing!  The truth never felt so good.

Ace6301

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#267 Ace6301

[QUOTE="Ace6301"][QUOTE="GOGOGOGURT"]

GOGOGOGURT

True.  For wormholes to exist, there must be black holes, but even those are theory and have never been detected or seen.

Our best bet now is either a mass manipulation device (yes, like in mass effect, but not so effective, and yes it is possible) Or a ship that would support a colony of humans for at least 200 years.  It would be a one-way trip.

I'm not sure what you mean worm holes need black holes to exist because they're not one and the same. Black holes have been detected and we have pictures of them (as much as you can take pictures of a black hole that's thousands of light years away with our current technology). Wormholes however we've never detected or seen and even if they do exist a naturally occurring one isn't something you'd probably want to send people into since you wouldn't know where it comes out at. We'll probably start trying to manipulate the Higgs fields soon enough I guess. Chances are generational ships is what we're going to end up having to do.
GOGOGOGURT

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#268 GOGOGOGURT

[QUOTE="GOGOGOGURT"]

[QUOTE="Ace6301"] The most effective way of travel for humans except that it's purely conjecture.Ace6301

I'm not sure what you mean worm holes need black holes to exist because they're not one and the same. Black holes have been detected and we have pictures of them (as much as you can take pictures of a black hole that's thousands of light years away with our current technology). Wormholes however we've never detected or seen and even if they do exist a naturally occurring one isn't something you'd probably want to send people into since you wouldn't know where it comes out at. We'll probably start trying to manipulate the Higgs fields soon enough I guess. Chances are generational ships is what we're going to end up having to do.

A wormhole (or a useful one at least) is 2 black holes that wells have crossed each others paths in curved space, very, very far apart.  There are dozens of obstacles to overcome that are beyond out current capability to safely travel through a wormhole.

And we have evidence that hint at black holes, such as the one that MIGHT be in our galaxy, but it's still a theory.  Yes, they are more likely to exist than not, since astrophysicists have found few contradictions in calculations.

Avatar image for deactivated-5d0e4d67d0988
deactivated-5d0e4d67d0988

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#269 deactivated-5d0e4d67d0988
Member since 2008 • 5396 Posts

Provided humanity doesn't wipe itself out or be wiped out by an extinction event, then sure, why not?

LordShockTitan

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#270 LordShockTitan
Member since 2013 • 218 Posts

Yes, but not anytime soon.

GOGOGOGURT

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#271 GOGOGOGURT

Provided humanity doesn't wipe itself out or be wiped out by an extinction event, then sure, why not?

October_Tide

I could give you a 'wall of text' of reasons why not.

wis3boi

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

#272 wis3boi
Member since 2005 • 32507 Posts

Chances are generational ships is what we're going to end up having to do.Ace6301

this is what a lot of people forget about.  if we do go to another system, we'd never make return trips with the same group or even the same ship.  I like the way Avatar did their space travel in the movie (although they never explained their ability to communicate with Earth or how they deal with returning trips).  They sent a ship from Earth that progressively, over months and months, got closer and closer to lightspeed without hiting the speed limit, then halfway, slowing down gradually until it got into the system.  People inside were cryo frozen in sleep for the duration of the trip.  It lasted 6 years or so for the ride.

GOGOGOGURT

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#273 GOGOGOGURT

[QUOTE="Ace6301"] Chances are generational ships is what we're going to end up having to do.wis3boi

this is what a lot of people forget about.  if we do go to another system, we'd never make return trips with the same group or even the same ship.  I like the way Avatar did their space travel in the movie (although they never explained their ability to communicate with Earth or how they deal with returning trips).  They sent a ship from Earth that progressively, over months and months, got closer and closer to lightspeed without hiting the speed limit, then halfway, slowing down gradually until it got into the system.  People inside were cryo frozen in sleep for the duration of the trip.  It lasted 6 years or so for the ride.

It would take MUCH longer than 6 years to get to any planet of interest at normal speeds.  More like 5000 years.

chaoscougar1

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 12

#274 chaoscougar1
Member since 2005 • 37603 Posts

GOGOGOGURT

A wormhole (or a useful one at least) is 2 black holes that wells have crossed each others paths in curved space, very, very far apart.  There are dozens of obstacles to overcome that are beyond out current capability to safely travel through a wormhole.

And we have evidence that hint at black holes, such as the one that MIGHT be in our galaxy, but it's still a theory.  Yes, they are more likely to exist than not, since astrophysicists have found few contradictions in calculations.

Ah no
Wormholes and blackholes are two completely different things
We will never ever ever ever be able to travel into a blackhole and live to tell the tale

And we know black holes exist
There is one at the centre of our galaxy
It is not conjecture nor is it hinted

GOGOGOGURT

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#275 GOGOGOGURT

[QUOTE="GOGOGOGURT"]

[QUOTE="Ace6301"] I'm not sure what you mean worm holes need black holes to exist because they're not one and the same. Black holes have been detected and we have pictures of them (as much as you can take pictures of a black hole that's thousands of light years away with our current technology). Wormholes however we've never detected or seen and even if they do exist a naturally occurring one isn't something you'd probably want to send people into since you wouldn't know where it comes out at. We'll probably start trying to manipulate the Higgs fields soon enough I guess. Chances are generational ships is what we're going to end up having to do.chaoscougar1

Ah no
We will never ever ever ever be able to travel into a blackhole and live to tell the tale

Common misconception. 

chaoscougar1

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 12

#276 chaoscougar1
Member since 2005 • 37603 Posts

[QUOTE="chaoscougar1"]

[QUOTE="GOGOGOGURT"]

GOGOGOGURT

Ah no

Common misconception. 

Which part And feel free to elaborate
wis3boi

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#277 wis3boi

[QUOTE="wis3boi"]

[QUOTE="Ace6301"] Chances are generational ships is what we're going to end up having to do.GOGOGOGURT

It would take MUCH longer than 6 years to get to any planet of interest at normal speeds.  More like 5000 years.

I'm guessing you didn't see Avatar or forgot that was my hypothetical situation?  They went to alpha centauri in the first 5min of the film at 90-95% light speed, arriving in 6-ish years, traveling 4.35 light years.

coolbeans90

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#278 coolbeans90

90-95% light speed

wis3boi

ROFL

not happening

wis3boi

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#279 wis3boi

[QUOTE="wis3boi"]

90-95% light speed

coolbeans90

ROFL

not happening

its within the laws of physics, and with slow increases in the speed, entirely possible.  Will we ever do it? I doubti t, but it can happen.  A more realistic approach I see happening are generation ships.  I simply stated the avatar example as being far out there but entirely plausible

coolbeans90

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#280 coolbeans90

[QUOTE="coolbeans90"]

[QUOTE="wis3boi"]

90-95% light speed

wis3boi

ROFL

not happening

its within the laws of physics, and with slow increases in the speed, entirely possible.  Will we ever do it? I doubti t, but it can happen.  A more realistic approach I see happening are generation ships.  I simply stated the avatar example as being far out there but entirely plausible

HAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHA

Blood-Scribe

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#281 Blood-Scribe
Member since 2007 • 6465 Posts

Fun fact: if we assume that the ship in Avatar weighs about as much as a Saturn rocket (~100000kg), the energy required to accelerate it to .95c is equal to about half of the world's total fossil fuel reserves.

coolbeans90

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#282 coolbeans90

<3 wolfram alpha (saves me oodles of time when to lazy to algebra)

but, srsly

95% of the speed of light

jesus fvcking christ

why can't people math and stuff

RELATIVITY IS A PRETTY BIG FVCKING DEAL

Blood-Scribe

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#283 Blood-Scribe
Member since 2007 • 6465 Posts
that lorentz factor is a b!tch, ain't it ;[
coolbeans90

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#284 coolbeans90

system's keepin' us down :/

Ace6301

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#285 Ace6301

GOGOGOGURT

That is one theory but it doesn't have any supporting evidence, it's literally just science fiction right now. Yes there are dozens of obstacles to overcome, such as finding out of they exist or not which would be pretty difficult seeing as how you'd somehow have to confirm a live human who could be on the other side of the universe. It's not really a theory in the same way wormholes are a theory. The theory is more "galaxies came to exist because of super massive black holes which exist at the center of most galaxies" and less "black holes exist" since we know they do. We're not quite sure how black holes function or to what extent they do things but we know they exist.
Avatar image for deactivated-58b6232955e4a
deactivated-58b6232955e4a

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#286 deactivated-58b6232955e4a
Member since 2006 • 15594 Posts

[QUOTE="LJS9502_basic"][QUOTE="GrayF0X786"] with all due respect, this is not christianity, we don't bend our a$$ over, which is why the west is having a hard time trying to make Islam bend to its knees which will never happen, so they have no choice except destabilize the Muslim lands, catholics can keep their pope for a reason, he is nothing but a figure head with no power, a Caliph on the other hand is a whole different level, the British knew this and were so desperate to get rid of this from Turkey, which they did, and now the Muslim world is divided, Saudi now has a "King" who is again nothing but a puppet, all this will be fixed when Jesus comes back...no offence ofcourse ;)

GrayF0X786

Tell me again why you follow a man (Mohammed) and not God's son (Jesus)?

Ask the Jews the same question, the problem is in the sentence itself, just please please please fix the fact that the creator has no partner! he has no Sons, Duaghters, No uncles or Aunties or a lawyer or butler or whatever, understand the nature of the jewish langauge at the time, does it not say in the Bible we are ALL children of God?

Mankind has no creator.
wis3boi

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#287 wis3boi

[QUOTE="wis3boi"]

[QUOTE="coolbeans90"]

ROFL

not happening

coolbeans90

Got a better rebuttal or are we just having a laughing fit?

coolbeans90

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#288 coolbeans90

[QUOTE="coolbeans90"]

[QUOTE="wis3boi"]

wis3boi

I'm content with laughing, but feel free to pick up a physics textbook in your spare time, and then read about special relativity, and take into consideration energy constraints.

wis3boi

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#289 wis3boi

[QUOTE="wis3boi"]

[QUOTE="coolbeans90"]

coolbeans90

I'm content with laughing, but feel free to pick up a physics textbook in your spare time, and then read about special relativity, and take into consideration energy constraints.

I have, thanks.  Carry on

dave123321

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#290 dave123321
Member since 2003 • 35553 Posts
I need to start studying physics
coolbeans90

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#291 coolbeans90

[QUOTE="coolbeans90"]

[QUOTE="wis3boi"]

wis3boi

I have, thanks.  Carry on

Then you understand the laughter.

Avatar image for deactivated-5d0e4d67d0988
deactivated-5d0e4d67d0988

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#292 deactivated-5d0e4d67d0988
Member since 2008 • 5396 Posts

[QUOTE="October_Tide"]

GOGOGOGURT

I could give you a 'wall of text' of reasons why not.

Can you predict what human technology will look like in a 500-600 or maybe 1000 years time? I wasn't meaning in the near future, I think we can all agree that it won't happen. The laws of physics as they stand now, are not absolutes, so what could be seen as a violation of the laws or impossible now may be perfectly feasible down the line as our understanding of the universe continues to grow

Mind you I don't exactly have a great understanding of physics so I'm probably just spewing complete and utter bs and we will be stuck on this rock forever.

Avatar image for MakeMeaSammitch
MakeMeaSammitch

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#293 MakeMeaSammitch
Member since 2012 • 4889 Posts

derp

GrayF0X786

no